Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2010-05-10 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2773486

User image

Subject: RE: Jford2309's Group - CLOSED
Hi team,
Renae here...aka Wandering1.
I was wondering if anyone had recomendations on what to wear during a triathlon.  Been doing research online and must admit to ignorance.  These tri clothes, do you swim, run and bike in the shorts and tops? 

2010-05-10 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2847888

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
wandering1 - 2010-05-10 7:22 AM Hi team,
Renae here...aka Wandering1.
I was wondering if anyone had recomendations on what to wear during a triathlon.  Been doing research online and must admit to ignorance.  These tri clothes, do you swim, run and bike in the shorts and tops? 

Welcome Renae!

In the tris I have competed in, I only wear tri shorts and tri top. I swim run and bike in them. If it is cool enough for a wetsuit, then the tri top and tri shorts go on underneath the wetsuit. Some people chose to race in a tri-suit, which is basically a onesie, but has the pad in the shorts for biking.

In longer races (HIM and IMs) people do take the time to change clothes completely.
2010-05-10 9:26 PM

User image

Just finished reading all the previous posts from everyone.  This is so great.  Glad to hear about the mountain bikes in the triathlon.  After the past weekend riding with friends and not being able to keep up with them in the road I was feeling a bit discouraged.  My bike is 20+ years old, one of the original Ross Mountains and it weights 32 lbs.  Currently, it has fat, knobby tires.  In the last 6 weeks I've logged several hundred miles on it riding on paved bike trails with friends on hybrid and road bikes.  Tomorrow it goes to the local bike shop to have the tires changed and anything else that can make it a little more road friendly.  Regardless, I might be behind, but I'll STILL be behind.
2010-05-11 7:21 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Slicks will make a huge difference to you on your mtn bike, it could add 3-4 mph for you. My first year of racing was done on a mtn bike and I remember the thrill of passing a road bike on my mtn bike!  Keep going Time In The Saddle will help you!
2010-05-11 4:07 PM
in reply to: #2850501

User image

I plan on spending lots of time in the saddle with new wheels.  The still being behind bit...I won't ever give up, even if I'm last. Kiss  Off to yoga!
2010-05-11 8:52 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I tried yoga once...ONCE!

2010-05-12 2:45 AM

Hey guys!
Sorry I've been absent all this time. I'm tweaking my nutrition plan and playing a little with my training programming.
The reason being that I'm training gymnastics 6-8 hrs per week and I don't really want to change that. But at the same time juggling 4 sports is really difficult, and my body requires more rest.
Anyways, I'll be logging my workouts this week.
And welcome wandering1.

Take care guys. 
2010-05-12 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2853044

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
jmata - 2010-05-12 2:45 AM Hey guys!
Sorry I've been absent all this time. I'm tweaking my nutrition plan and playing a little with my training programming.
The reason being that I'm training gymnastics 6-8 hrs per week and I don't really want to change that. But at the same time juggling 4 sports is really difficult, and my body requires more rest.
Anyways, I'll be logging my workouts this week.
And welcome wandering1.

Take care guys. 

Good to hear, I was wondering what happened to you!  Glad everything is good!
2010-05-13 11:42 AM

I just received my swimsuit!! Feels great.
2010-05-14 10:01 AM

User image

South Florida
Subject: Aerobars
Ok, so yesterday decided to get my road bike a brand new pair of aerobars! Got the Profile Design airstryke (link:http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/aerobars/aluminum-aerobars/airstryke.html )
Now, need tips in getting used to them! tomorrow I have a scheduled brick workout, would appreciate any tips before taking them out for a ride! I also had to take off my Garmin watch mount in order to fit the aerobars, any ideas in how to mount computes onto the aerobars?, these are perpendicular to the handlebar i need something parallel to it in order to use the mount!

Hope to hear something tonight! tomorrow I'll post some feedback!

Raul 
2010-05-14 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2858761

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Aerobars
rdaza - 2010-05-14 10:01 AM Ok, so yesterday decided to get my road bike a brand new pair of aerobars! Got the Profile Design airstryke (link:http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/aerobars/aluminum-aerobars/airstryke.html )
Now, need tips in getting used to them! tomorrow I have a scheduled brick workout, would appreciate any tips before taking them out for a ride! I also had to take off my Garmin watch mount in order to fit the aerobars, any ideas in how to mount computes onto the aerobars?, these are perpendicular to the handlebar i need something parallel to it in order to use the mount!

Hope to hear something tonight! tomorrow I'll post some feedback!

Raul 

I have the same aero bars on my bike. It took me some time to get used to the butterfly contraption (they way they fold up and down) but other than that, it just took practice, practice and practice. I would encourage to make sure they are fitted right so that it is comfortable being in aero.

I would partner with your LBS on the Garmin fitting, ot Gramin themselves, can't help ya there!  Let me know what you thinkof the aero bars!

2010-05-17 1:58 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Everyone doing ok?

Helloooo????
2010-05-18 7:50 AM

User image

South Florida
Subject: Aerobars!!
Ok! update on the aerobar use! ... Definitely need more miles under my saddle! was able to d stretches of 3 to 4 miles at a time at most using the aerobars, my back and arms started to kill me and needed to sit up for a stretch, but could definitely feel the extra mile per hr advantage of using them. Let's see how the following weeks end up!!

On a separate note, need tips on eating better, specially around my kids, I always end up eating their leftovers, not doing to good in the nutrition field, I am always hungry and finding myself eating junk! Any good advises out there?

Hope everyone is doing good!!

Raul 
2010-05-18 10:41 PM

User image

Little Rock, Arkansas
The best snacking tip I could give you is have fruit readily available.  I try to keep an ample supply at the office - apples, oranges, bananas - anything that will stay fresh unrefrigerated for a week.  Kicking the cola habit was difficult for me, but I have mostly replaced them with water and unsweet tea.

Also, try the salads at the typical fast food franchises.  Usually not too bad.

Scott
2010-05-19 6:35 PM

User image

Hi everyone,
I'm having a ball with the Tri training and thought I'd share a little humor.  Last evening I went with Tracy (who isn't a member of the group but training with myself and Shannon for our tri's) to swim laps at the pool.  We were waiting for a lane to open and the lifeguard hollers that one just opened up in the warm water pool.  We pick up our towels and ran for it, rounding the corner and nearly take out an elderly woman with a cane.  The lifeguard tells us it's the geriatric pool.  A pool is a pool so we swim.  Within a few minutes most of the elderly people are standing next to the lane and watching.  After a few more laps I see thru my goggles the bottom half of a torso in my lane.  I hit the wall and come up for air right into the face of this elderly gentleman who gives me a big smile.  Another lap and on the return, even more legs, then more legs.  Pretty soon these gentlemen were lining the inside of our lane and we has to swim thru them to hit the wall.  They were very polite and made it a point to look me in the face whenever I surfaced.  One by one they left. 
Then today, I rode with clips for the first time.  Had a little trouble getting clipped in with the right foot (left handed) but if I keep peddling it seems to eventually click in.  We stop a a crossroad and decide to turn around.  My right foot is unclipped and on the ground and I went to put my left foot down and forgot I was clipped in...it was to late...all I could think about on the way down was please, God, don't let my pants rip cause I'm not wearing underwear.  Eventually the left foot became unclipped.  My mirror was shattered, but that's so much cheaper than an arm or leg.  Tracy's eyes and mouth were three big circles.  "I thought it would be me that went over first" then she broke out in giggles until she saw the blood.  Being the good nurse that she is, she whips out a box of band-aids, squirts my cut thumb with her water bottle then slaps one on.  I nearly fell over again.  She has band-aids that are color coordinated with her bike and gear!  After much laughter we rode back to Loveland and had dinner.  She wanted BBQ but I wanted burgers.  We got burgers in case I have a concussion that way I get to choose what kind of cookies get tossed up.
So, tomorrow is a day off, see what my hand and wrist is going to do, and if all is well, it's back to workout on Friday.
Hope everyone is having a good time.
Renae

Edited by wandering1 2010-05-19 6:39 PM
2010-05-19 6:37 PM
in reply to: #2852776

User image

James, about the yoga...why don't you give it another tri, oh I mean try?  It would add tons of flexibility!

Edited by wandering1 2010-05-19 6:38 PM

2010-05-19 11:03 PM
in reply to: #2869588

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
wandering1 - 2010-05-19 6:35 PM Hi everyone,
I'm having a ball with the Tri training and thought I'd share a little humor.  Last evening I went with Tracy (who isn't a member of the group but training with myself and Shannon for our tri's) to swim laps at the pool.  We were waiting for a lane to open and the lifeguard hollers that one just opened up in the warm water pool.  We pick up our towels and ran for it, rounding the corner and nearly take out an elderly woman with a cane.  The lifeguard tells us it's the geriatric pool.  A pool is a pool so we swim.  Within a few minutes most of the elderly people are standing next to the lane and watching.  After a few more laps I see thru my goggles the bottom half of a torso in my lane.  I hit the wall and come up for air right into the face of this elderly gentleman who gives me a big smile.  Another lap and on the return, even more legs, then more legs.  Pretty soon these gentlemen were lining the inside of our lane and we has to swim thru them to hit the wall.  They were very polite and made it a point to look me in the face whenever I surfaced.  One by one they left. 
Then today, I rode with clips for the first time.  Had a little trouble getting clipped in with the right foot (left handed) but if I keep peddling it seems to eventually click in.  We stop a a crossroad and decide to turn around.  My right foot is unclipped and on the ground and I went to put my left foot down and forgot I was clipped in...it was to late...all I could think about on the way down was please, God, don't let my pants rip cause I'm not wearing underwear.  Eventually the left foot became unclipped.  My mirror was shattered, but that's so much cheaper than an arm or leg.  Tracy's eyes and mouth were three big circles.  "I thought it would be me that went over first" then she broke out in giggles until she saw the blood.  Being the good nurse that she is, she whips out a box of band-aids, squirts my cut thumb with her water bottle then slaps one on.  I nearly fell over again.  She has band-aids that are color coordinated with her bike and gear!  After much laughter we rode back to Loveland and had dinner.  She wanted BBQ but I wanted burgers.  We got burgers in case I have a concussion that way I get to choose what kind of cookies get tossed up.
So, tomorrow is a day off, see what my hand and wrist is going to do, and if all is well, it's back to workout on Friday.
Hope everyone is having a good time.
Renae

1. Dirty Old Men!  LOL
2. I unclip right lean left about twice a year!  So do not feel bad!  lol
2010-05-19 11:05 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
And I do not really see the yoga thing happening again for me. Just wasn't into it!  It just makes me realize how inflexible I really am!  lol
2010-05-20 7:46 AM

User image

Thanks for the invite!  I would love to join (I was quite jealous I wasn't in the group).  Wink

Name: Tracy (dalotajr)

Family: Single & living the dream... lol!  Fur-mom to 2 yorkie Angelo & Bella

Training: I used to compete in fitness competions, so the gym is my friend, but the cardio world I had to find a new appreciation for.  It's very weird training towards something as apposed to training for weightloss alone.  I need LOTS of help in swimming.  I would like to loose some weight during all this.

Races:  I want to do alot of the "Girls Tri Too" series, which tour the state of Ohio.  The first one will be in 2 weeks.  ACK!
2010-05-20 9:42 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Welcome Tracy, we need some more life in this group. Seems that quite a few of the ones that signed up for the group have had other things come up cause we have not heard from them or they are not logging workouts.

I think swimming is probably the toughest segment of a triathlon for people. Once you start feeling comfortable int he water, then you have to deal with swimming in a lake which is totally different. So it takes awhile, but keep swimming, it will click soon!
2010-05-20 8:13 PM

User image

Swimming practice in the morning.  *Fingers crossed for a light bulb moment*  I'm going to try a couple different strokes and just keep plugging away.

2010-05-20 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2872530

User image

Yep, swimming in the wee hours of the morning!!!  Just think how good you'll get trying to get away from the dirty old men.  If I get called in for a heart I'll send a text though Anita and Shannon are both going to be there. 

Hey James, speaking of swimming, do you switch off between strokes, do freestyle as much as possible, any suggestions?  I have done tons of swimming in pools, lakes and oceans but never for competition.  Someone said to stay in the back of the pack because up in front the water gets very churny (is that a word?) with everyone first starting out. 
Right now I don't think any of us cath lab girls, aka 'we fix broken hearts',  (yes, girls I named us) are worried about 'winning', we just want to finish and push ourselves a little more each time. 
2010-05-20 9:57 PM
in reply to: #2872584

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
wandering1 - 2010-05-20 8:49 PM Yep, swimming in the wee hours of the morning!!!  Just think how good you'll get trying to get away from the dirty old men.  If I get called in for a heart I'll send a text though Anita and Shannon are both going to be there. 

Hey James, speaking of swimming, do you switch off between strokes, do freestyle as much as possible, any suggestions?  I have done tons of swimming in pools, lakes and oceans but never for competition.  Someone said to stay in the back of the pack because up in front the water gets very churny (is that a word?) with everyone first starting out. 
Right now I don't think any of us cath lab girls, aka 'we fix broken hearts',  (yes, girls I named us) are worried about 'winning', we just want to finish and push ourselves a little more each time. 

I might do some warmup and use backstroke every once in awhile, but the majority of my swim training is freestyle. That is what I use in the race, so that is what I practice.

The water will be "churny" no matter where you are in the water. If you are not a strong swimmer, I would stay out of the front of the pack for the simple fact hat the faster swimmers will swim over you. It screws with you to have someone grabbing your feet while trying to swim! So I would recommend to stay in the back or to the side when you start the swim if you are not a strong swimmer. I do not start at the front for those very reasons. After a few races, you will like the "washing machine" swim starts!
2010-05-20 11:47 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Hey guys, I am heading on vacation for awhile. Heading out on a cruise!  So I will be thinking about you guys out training while I am sitting on the boat in the Bahammas sipping a fruity drink with a little umbrella in it! Train harder, and I will talk to you when I get back!

Keep the discussions going!
2010-05-21 7:17 AM
in reply to: #2872791

User image

Have a great trip!  And rememeber each fruity drink = extra laps in the pool.

The training will continue here, cause our first race is looming!  Tongue out

Edited by dalotajr 2010-05-21 7:19 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jford2309's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10