BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-04-25 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2813913

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - FULL
wbayek - 2010-04-24 1:58 PM And just think Anthony, only 3 years until he drives!

Tell me about! Been through that twice already and I don't know what was more traumatic; actually teaching them, or the car insurance bill.

I roll almost every night, and after every long run.  I've had some It problems and don't want them coming back.  My son massages my calves a lot while we're reading or hanging out.  I don't ask and he likes to do it for some reason, so I'm not complaining!

Your own private, live in masseuse. Very nice!

2010-04-25 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2774068

User image

Expert
So, how's it going everybody? I have to tell you, I am getting very excited about the upcoming race season. One week from today triton63/Calvin has the first tri for our group. It is also his first tri ever, and I am really looking forward to it. Very exciting!!
2010-04-25 3:26 PM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Just got back from a weekend fishing trip so trying to get caught up on everyone's posts.  I ran Thursday but have not done anything since so today will be a run and bike.  Tomorrow, run and swim.  Tuesday a 25 mile bike.  Looking forward to next Sunday for the super sprint.  Hopefully, it will be fun and I will learn a lot about transitions.  I guess I can call this a "C" race for me with an "A" race coming up on May 15.  That will be an ocean open water swim on the Georgia coast at Jykell Island.

Anyone have any great workouts to the week of your first tri?  I am not really planning any taper since I am not doing that much volume.  Just want to make sure I can finish this first event.
2010-04-25 3:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

I just found a great training running course for my up coming race. It is 4.5mi and hilly a similar course to my event except 1mi longer.  I am looking forward to another run at it... (never would I have thought I would be saying that)  Once I am able to master it, race day will be a piece of cake..LOL.

Calvin, I am also a 1st Tri newbie and have heard different people say...They take 2 days before race day off, I would take it easy if you do any training.  My Sprint isn't until June.  Good luck!! this weekend

2010-04-25 5:00 PM
in reply to: #2813557

Mooresville
Thanks everyone for the input. It's really helping, I've been taking it easy for a few days and hopefully it will be better tomorrow for my run.
2010-04-25 5:05 PM
in reply to: #2815240

User image

NH
scott1223 - 2010-04-25 4:35 PM

I just found a great training running course for my up coming race. It is 4.5mi and hilly a similar course to my event except 1mi longer.  I am looking forward to another run at it... (never would I have thought I would be saying that)  Once I am able to master it, race day will be a piece of cake..LOL.

Calvin, I am also a 1st Tri newbie and have heard different people say...They take 2 days before race day off, I would take it easy if you do any training.  My Sprint isn't until June.  Good luck!! this weekend

Yeah, I'd take the day off two days prior to a race, and then the day before just do a short but maybe intense round of each just to get the blood flowing.  There is something to be said for a taper to make sure your body is rested.  But don't let it interrupt your training too much if it's not an "A" race for you.

2010-04-25 6:06 PM
in reply to: #2815231

User image

Expert
triton63 - 2010-04-25 4:26 PM Just got back from a weekend fishing trip so trying to get caught up on everyone's posts.

So, how was the fishing?

I ran Thursday but have not done anything since so today will be a run and bike.  Tomorrow, run and swim.  Tuesday a 25 mile bike.  Looking forward to next Sunday for the super sprint.  Hopefully, it will be fun and I will learn a lot about transitions.  I guess I can call this a "C" race for me with an "A" race coming up on May 15.  That will be an ocean open water swim on the Georgia coast at Jykell Island.

You will  learn, and you will definitely have fun!

Anyone have any great workouts to the week of your first tri?  I am not really planning any taper since I am not doing that much volume.  Just want to make sure I can finish this first event.

Since this isn't your "A" race I wouldn't change your training up too much, although I would suggest DON'T do a long or hard run later in the week.

Anthony
2010-04-25 6:19 PM
in reply to: #2815240

User image

Expert

Sounds great!! I like hills for training. Frank Shorter says, "Hills are speedwork in disguise." Frank won the '72 Olympic Marathon, and is from around this area, so he is a local running hero.

Anthony

2010-04-25 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2815379

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-04-25 6:05 PM

Yeah, I'd take the day off two days prior to a race, and then the day before just do a short but maybe intense round of each just to get the blood flowing.  There is something to be said for a taper to make sure your body is rested.  But don't let it interrupt your training too much if it's not an "A" race for you.

I definitely agree with Warren. For a Sunday race, I take Friday off, and then on Saturday I do a 10 minute run, 20 minute bike, and 10 minute swim. Taking Saturday off also works for lots of people. Also, try to get a good night sleep on Friday because you probably won't sleep so well on Saturday night

Anthony
2010-04-25 6:30 PM
in reply to: #2815373

User image

Expert
Jaybird333 - 2010-04-25 6:00 PM Thanks everyone for the input. It's really helping, I've been taking it easy for a few days and hopefully it will be better tomorrow for my run.

Best of luck tomorrow!! I have my fingers crossed for you.

Anthony
2010-04-25 7:15 PM
in reply to: #2815508

User image

Expert
I had an interesting and fun 35 mile ride today. It was raining here and in the 40's, but I didn't want to miss my long ride for the week, so I got out there and did it. I am normally highly motivated, but reading through your logs has certainly given me extra inspiration and my training has been really good for the last couple of weeks, so thanks everybody!

Anthony

2010-04-25 7:47 PM

User image

NH
Good determination Anthony.  I had a terrible training weekend, but a great weekend overall.  An old friend came from Colorado and has spent the weekend, so I've been rehashing old lies and we've had a blast.  But I used it as an excuse to miss my bike ride today.  Oh well, the plan doesn't officially start for 2 more weeks, so I'm ok.
2010-04-25 8:47 PM

Mooresville

I have a question for everyone. I'm new to tri, but I think I'm going to really like it and I'm thinking of doing my first at the Top Gun at Ft. DeSoto, in St. Pete and in reviewing the course, I see that the transition area is 1/3mile from the water exit over kinda a trail. What are you supposed to do leave a pair of shoes on the beach?

2010-04-26 6:55 AM
in reply to: #2815643

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-04-25 8:47 PM Good determination Anthony.

Thank you very much. You know, sometimes just getting started is the hardest part. I procrastinated a bit, but once I was on the road I had a great time.

I had a terrible training weekend, but a great weekend overall.  An old friend came from Colorado and has spent the weekend, so I've been rehashing old lies and we've had a blast.  But I used it as an excuse to miss my bike ride today.  Oh well, the plan doesn't officially start for 2 more weeks, so I'm ok.

Sounds like a great weekend! I firmly believe that you have to keep that balance in life.

Anthony
2010-04-26 7:03 AM
in reply to: #2815805

User image

Expert
Jaybird333 - 2010-04-25 9:47 PM

I have a question for everyone. I'm new to tri, but I think I'm going to really like it and I'm thinking of doing my first at the Top Gun at Ft. DeSoto, in St. Pete and in reviewing the course, I see that the transition area is 1/3mile from the water exit over kinda a trail. What are you supposed to do leave a pair of shoes on the beach?

I checked out the website, and that looks like a fun race. I also looked at some of the race reports here on BT. There aren't many race reports, and they aren't really detailed so no one mentioned getting from the water to transition. I have never had to do it, but I have heard of people leaving an old pair of running shoes near the swim exit when it is rocky or whatever. On race day you will want to check out the whole transition area and swim exit before the race anyway, so you will be able to decide then what will work best for you.

Anthony
2010-04-26 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2816174

Mooresville
Thanks Anthony, I'll also ask around the locals.

Hey my calf is better, ran no problem today. The stretching really helped.

2010-04-26 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2816471

User image

NH
Jaybird333 - 2010-04-26 10:02 AM Thanks Anthony, I'll also ask around the locals.

Awesome news on the calf Jay.

I have also heard of people leaving old running shoes or water slippers to get to transition if the course is rough.  x2 on Anthony's advice of checking things out ahead of time.  You might want to email and ask the race director too, they are usually EXTREMELY helpful with stuff like this.
2010-04-26 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2816471

User image

Expert
Jaybird333 - 2010-04-26 10:02 AM Thanks Anthony, I'll also ask around the locals.

That is great news; you made my day!!

Anthony
2010-04-26 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2816518

Mooresville

I'll email him and let you know, Ft. DeSoto is only about 25mins from my house, so I was planning on running it ahead of time anyway, (that's acceptable isn't it?) so I'll know what to expect. I'm a little nervous.

2010-04-26 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2816573

User image

NH
Jaybird333 - 2010-04-26 10:33 AM

I'll email him and let you know, Ft. DeSoto is only about 25mins from my house, so I was planning on running it ahead of time anyway, (that's acceptable isn't it?) so I'll know what to expect. I'm a little nervous.

It's great that you'll have a chance to see the actual course, and it's absolutely a great idea to run the course.  Swim and bike it too if possible.  The swim can help finding shore objects to sight, and the bike will let you know where any tricky turns or hills are located. 

If you don't actually swim, run or bike the course, try to drive it and really pay attention (well, you probably can't drive the swim course!).  You will be ready for this one.  I can't wait to read your report!

2010-04-26 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2816656

Mooresville

I was planning on doing the entire course in a couple of weeks and I'll  let you know. Thank for the advice. J

2010-04-26 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2816722

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Hey Jason:

Thanks for your posts.  You're keeping me motivated in my training and getting me excited about competing!  I've been super-busy and am just now getting caught up with the posts.  If you do decide to leave a pair of shoes down by the water, just make sure they aren't Gucci's!!  Can't wait to hear your race report. 

Dan
2010-04-26 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2817192

Mooresville
No doubt, they would be gone in a flash. The race is 3 months away so I'm sure I'll bring up more questions.  It takes alot of determination to juggle work and training and I'm not sure I'm doing it well, but I'm trying.
2010-04-26 6:58 PM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA

Dan and Jason -  I can certainly relate to the issues of training, busy schedules and handling distractions.  Tonight I was looking forward to a nice run and a long swim.  Then I get a call from my ex that she needs me to keep my son tonight which is great...just that I can't take off for the pool now.  Oh well, life goes on.  My son's soccer team finished second in their region so they are in the playoffs and the first round of the tourny is this Thursday night. Trying to figure out how to train around the practices and games is tough.  Being their for him is more important than any triathlon so I will train when I can and do the best I can.   

Rain is forecast for tomorrow so maybe soccer practice will be canceled and I can get to the pool.  The group bike ride will probably not go if it is raining.  Only a few days to get ready and I really am not feeling to confident right now. 

2010-04-26 7:36 PM
in reply to: #2818167

Mooresville

Calvin, you'll be ready. Heart it everything, when the time comes, you will reach down into the depths and pull out more energy and courage than you ever thought possible. I once heard, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans". There are many times when I can't train, b/c my son is with me. He lives w/ his mom a couple hours away, so he is the priority. I asked him last weekend if he would like to ride in a little pull behind my bike and he got excited about it. At least I can do some strenght training, he weighs 85lbs.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24