of 76

2010-12-24 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3260765

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Open

Hey Coach and team.

Before I post some of my stuff - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I hope it brings all of us success in our goals and what we are each looking for (tri, life, health or otherwise). I am not completely sure what mine are exactly but I am going to keep searching, refining and reaching. I guess that is why I am here and I am looking forward to your help.

OK - where am I now? To be honest with everyone, I have no idea. Smile

Swim - raw begginer and wannabe. I am getting coached, doing drills, trying to learn and hoping it will come to me one of these days. I can swim, not sure how far or for how long just yet but I am really working on getting efficient and learning the proper stroke before I really put myself to the test.

Bike - I bought a new one in October, road bike, completely fitted with tri bars etc. I love it, I am not afraid of it; I can't wait to get on that road next spring. For now however, it is on my trainer in the basement and I have no problem with getting on it and doing whatever I learn here.

Run - again, not sure where I am here. I know I like it and again I am not afraid of it. As far as times and distances I don't know but I want to know and I want to test myself.

Lifting - I do like lifting weights and doing push ups’. However, since I did suffer the nerve route damage in August which resulted in the immediate loss of strength in the left arm and shoulder and serious pain, it has been a long road back. I am guessing at my peak I can bench more than my weight, probably 180. I like lifting but I don't measure it a lot.

Core stuff - love push ups’, crunches, incline sit ups, variety of push ups - again just able to get back to it but looking forward to getting it all back.

To sum it all up, I don't come from this background. I am a 47 year old Golf Pro who has always stayed physically active. I would rather walk the course and carry my bag then ride. I knew the benefit of remaining in good condition so I did by lifting and running. I am real good at golf but I want something else. I want to test myself in another arena and I found this. 

So, sorry Coach, I am guessing this is just not enough information for you but I guess that is why I decided to join begginertriathlete.com, so I can figure out how to train, what to do, when to do it, why I am doing it, how I am progressing at it and knowing if I am getting better and why.

Up until I joined, I read the books and the magazines but recognized I had no structure. I ran, I biked and I tried to swim but there was no rhyme or reason to it. I just knew I had to do it so I did it. I recognized I like it and I want it.

So now, Coach, I realize I have to: 1) plan 2) set goals 3) measure and track what I am doing.

This way I will understand where I am at, if I am getting better and how close I am to success.

Well, there you go - I hope that all made sense - I guess I am the definition of beginner. I just need to know what I need to track, how I need to track it, how I set a schedule and then, this group has my work – I will do it, report it and support everyone to the best of my ability.

Thanks again.
Kevin

2010-12-24 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
Where are you now (ie distance or time)

Swim  - I love to swim. I do it for pleasure as well as training. I intend to do the 'Alcatraz invitational' in 2012 - Ideally I would have done it 2011, but my daughter will be in school in September so it has to wait a while. I am not fast, but I can go forever. 1mile = 42 mins

Bike  - I just purchased a new (to me) tri bike. I had been using a 25 yr old Bianchi. I enjoy the bike portion, but would love to get my speed up. I am somewhere around the 15.5 mph. However, after the holiday I should be doing a computrainer class which should help?

Run - Ok, I'll be honest, I don't enjoy running in the slightest. I find it hard work. I feel like i'm too heavy to be decent at it and that I am quite possibly the most ungraceful runner you could see. I am at a 10 1/2 - 11mm training. When I started I was at 13 - 14 mm Embarassed so it is getting better. I would like to get faster. My longest run to date has been 7 miles. Recently, I did a relay race with friends and managed to keep my pace around the 9:45 mark, but I had the short leg, so maybe it doesn't count lol

Lifting weight/coreWeight (if you want to post if not just put how many lbs to goal)  - 15lb to goal weight. Already down 28.

THEN Where do you want to be - Would like to complete my first HIM in June. Time goal? I'm not sure I have one yet. I am still at the 'just finish' and 'not walk the run' stage. I think once I have got a little further into my training plan I will think about time goals.

I also have my first HM in Feb. Time goal? I'd LOVE to be around the 10mm for the whole race. under would be fabulous, but highly unlikely.

Edited by cheekymonkeys1 2010-12-24 8:01 PM
2010-12-24 8:43 PM
in reply to: #3260894

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
I think I may have missunderstood the core weight question. Did you mean what weight do we want to be or how much weight can we lift?

I feel like mabye I should join the beginnerbeginnerbeginnertriathlete.com web site.

KC
2010-12-25 1:40 AM
in reply to: #3260940

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
kcgolf - 2010-12-24 9:43 PMI think I may have missunderstood the core weight question. Did you mean what weight do we want to be or how much weight can we lift?

I feel like mabye I should join the beginnerbeginnerbeginnertriathlete.com web site.

KC
You will be fine. With core I was looking for your core body parts workout (abs,sides,back,neck)Sorry for needing more info but if someones goal is a IM, and they cant swim it helps to know (can't advise 5k pool workouts)As for heavy weights for running that is probably not what I would do. Tim hit it on the head as to what i would do. Just going by your bio it sounds like muscle is not the problem, so going heavy with low reps will not improve your goal of more endurance.Court,erin, bryan welcome you will close out or group.

Edited by razorxp 2010-12-25 1:44 AM
2010-12-25 1:55 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Did anyone sneak away today for a workout?I did my 1st run in 5 weeks today on the golf course (4' snow in bunkers kona my dog loved it). After being sick for 5 weeks i was happy to be outside. This was a fun run that i normally wouldn't wear my gps but I need to hold up my end of the group and put my details in. Going to try another short run tomorrow before family visits.Merry Christmas!And a great 2011
2010-12-25 2:18 AM
in reply to: #3261022

User image

Expert
I was able to take the kids to the gym this morning to give my wife some time to wrap presents.  Got an good 3 miler in and lifted.  Sounds like you had a fun run today.  I got outside last weekend for a run and it was great even though it was 10 degrees. 

razorxp - 2010-12-25 1:55 AM Did anyone sneak away today for a workout?I did my 1st run in 5 weeks today on the golf course (4' snow in bunkers kona my dog loved it). After being sick for 5 weeks i was happy to be outside. This was a fun run that i normally wouldn't wear my gps but I need to hold up my end of the group and put my details in. Going to try another short run tomorrow before family visits.Merry Christmas!And a great 2011

2010-12-25 2:40 AM

User image

Expert
SWIM - looking back on my logs from 2010 this is where I focused much of my time.  My T-pace is about 1:37/100Y.  Considering I was at 1:50 when I started swimming last October.

BIKING - At end of season I was averaging round 18.5 MPH on most of my rides.

RUN - Running is what I am most comfortable with so I tend to neglect it the most.  My triathlon training has defintiely increased my speed and strength, especially at the end of races - I feel much stronger than before.  My average training pace is around 9:15/9:30.  My 10K pace is around 7:30/7:45.

CORE/WEIGHTS -  I have a great Core routine that I found on here called "Round The World"  I trying to do it twice a week but have been struggling to get that in.  I lifted during the winter last year and picked it up again this winter.  I try to lift 2X week but Core and Lifting always come second before Swim, Bike, Run.

2011 GOALS

SWIM - I would like to get my T-pace to about 1:30.  I still have some work to do on my form and will be focusing on drills and technique for the remainder of the winter.  This Spring/Summer I also really want to work on my open water swimming as that was my biggest weakness during races last year. 

Biking - Just get my butt on the bike.  Seeing as the bike eats up alot of time it is my hardest to train for.  I want to get my average speed up to 20 mph.

RUN - I am doing a spring marathon that I am shooting for a sub 4 hour.  Since I have had IT band and hip issues my number one goal with running is to stay HEALTHY!

CORE - The goal for 2011 is JUST DO IT!  No excuses.  I need to get 2-3 core workouts a week. 

Racing Goals - Galena Triathlon was my first tri ever.  I was 2:00 so I want to kick i t in the butt this year with a 1:40.  Other race goals: sub 4 hour marathon and 5:45 HIM.

Where are you now (ie distance or time)
Swim
Bike
Run
Lifting weight/coreWeight (if you want to post if not just put how many lbs to goal)

THEN Where do you want to be (ie race distance /or time/weight)
Tell me if that makes sense to everyone?
If I dont talk to everyone have a great Christmas
2010-12-25 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3261022

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Merry Christmas.

I do plan on running today before I head off for Florida.

KC

"I have no formula for winning the race. Everyone runs in her own way, or his own way. And where does the power come from, to see the race to its end, to win the race? It comes from within."

Eric Liddell - Chariots of Fire 1981

Edited by kcgolf 2010-12-25 7:54 AM
2010-12-25 8:18 AM

Burlington
Merry Christmas everyone! Hope we all get some cool gear!  I will NOT be doing any training today - I will be traveling to several places today to spend the holidays.  Maybe I can get in a few crunches.  

Merry Christmas!

Bryan
2010-12-25 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Merry Christmas everyone.  I will try and get out tomorrow for a run.  It has been two weeks since I ran outside so I hope to get out. 
2010-12-25 6:22 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Merry Christmas everyone! Safe travels:

I was able to sneak out for run #2 today before lunch.  Tim that is a great Tpace do you struggle with sighting when in open water (if so do you do sight drills in pool)?  If you can hold 1:30 for any distance you are strong swimmer in the pool.

Tim I forgot to thank you for the group list: Since I have no idea of how to do it could you update it with our newest members so we can all post in our logs.  Thanks Again

Edited by razorxp 2010-12-25 6:35 PM

2010-12-25 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3259872

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Merry Christmas.  Looking forward to meeting you.  IM Wis ....I'm in VQ and they have training rides there...also, many folks from here in Bloomington IL. are going so they will be having group rides on the course too if you re into that. 

The swimming is coming along.  Actually after hurting my IT band by not letting up enough after my half IM in September I added a swim sessionand that and 2X/wk with the masters is really helping.  The run is starting back up.  We bought a treadmill so I can run i n the basement now without worry about ice and darkness.   All good.

Ice

Edited by IceManScott 2010-12-25 6:52 PM
2010-12-25 8:21 PM

User image

New user

Okayy Here we go!

Where are you now (ie distance or time) The only races I have ever done are running races. I can run a 5k in about 30 min, a 10k in about 58 minutes a half marathon in about 2:20 (my PR is 2:08) and My first marathon (PR) was 5:45-5:50.

Swim - I Used to swim in high school and when I was younger. I did the 100 Backstroke (being a ballet dancer for 20 years I have strong leg muscles) and I did the 100 free.

Bike- I inherited a bike from one of the Nurses I work with last year when she moved, I did some training with Handsome Boyfriend (HB) for his half iron man had have ridden it upward of 30-40 miles at once. We conquered that in a couple of hours. I'm not really sure what I need to look for as far as time on the bike. I dont have a fancy cadence computer or anything like HB does.

Run: I love running. I picked it up seriously in college and have run every distance up to marathon. Right now I'm trying to work on speed work and getting back into fighting weight.

Lifting weight/coreWeight (if you want to post if not just put how many lbs to goal): I am working on this.

THEN Where do you want to be (ie race distance /or time/weight)

Race Distance: I'd love to do another marathon next year. (MCM in October is my goal I think) I'd like to finish in under 5 hours. I really need to work on speed. I plan on running a few 5k's this winter and spring. and maybe a 10miler in Chapel Hill NC.

Swimming: I'd like to improve speed and time I think. I want to get back to my 1 minute 100 meters like I was doing in HS

Bike: I still dont know, i dont ride much as it really stresses me out. I am still working hard to not freak out in traffic and how to clip in and out of my pedals better. I think that will be my goal. I'll be safer and more effecient.

Weight : i'd love to have my core strength back. I just want to get back into it and be lifting consistently 3x a week.
2010-12-25 10:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
So I have a question.....

The HIM plan here is in minutes.

I have read in the forums people suggesting it is better to use minutes so that you concentrate on quality and not concern yourself with ' I must cycle / run x amount of miles'.

My issue is that I am slow. What if I dont cover enough ground in the time given and then feel undertrained, or that I just can't pull off the distance?

What would you do? Should I find one with miles instead or just stop freaking out and get on with it?
2010-12-25 10:43 PM
in reply to: #3261548

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
cheekymonkeys1 - 2010-12-25 11:01 PMSo I have a question.....

I have read in the forums people suggesting it is better to use minutes so that you concentrate on quality and not concern yourself with ' I must cycle / run x amount of miles'.

My issue is that I am slow. What if I dont cover enough ground in the time given and then feel undertrained, or that I just can't pull off the distance?

What would you do? Should I find one with miles instead or just stop freaking out and get on with it?
since most of the bt plans are "cookie cutter" (not bad just a 1size fits all) you have to tailor them for you. if you are slower or faster than average, a non-custom plan is not best. I looked at the 1/2 plans and non have distance. No need to freak out, we will work something out :-). Btw 15.5mph and 10mm is not bad, you will be fine if you put the time in!

Edited by razorxp 2010-12-25 11:00 PM
2010-12-26 12:08 AM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
I have two "A" races.  I'm doing an olympic in June that I want to be below 2:45 and a sprint in Aug that I want to have a top 5 finish.  My other goal is to do a HIM but I don't have a specific time or finish attached to it yet.

Where I am now: 
Swim: I'm swimming anywhere from 1000-2000 on avg at just below 2'/100 roughly.
Bike: Before I was moved indoors, I was riding at about 19-20mph over 20-30 miles.  I haven't done real well with doing my indoor rides but when I do they are typically 45mins-75mins.  Speed varies depending on the workout.
Run: Right now, I'm averaging between 9-9:30' miles.  Most of my runs are aerobic so I haven't done a ton of speed work.
Lifting Weight/Body Weight:  I've been lifting about twice a week just focusing on my legs and my back.  I'll do a core workout when I lift also and sometimes after I run.  My body weight has been bouncing back and forth between 209-212.  I'm wanting to be below 200 before my first race in April.

Where I want to be:
Basically just take everything up a notch.  If I could get my swim to around 1:45/100, my avg bike speed to 20-22mph, and my mile in the lower 8 minute range, I think that would get me some decent finishes. 

2010-12-26 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Happy Sunday.  Three hours on the Computrainer coming up!  Oh boy!  65-70% with three longer 100% efforts of 5 to 10 mins.  The course is based on Pigman.  Whoot! 

By the way, everything I've read about training programs are in minutes and not distances.  The goal is to push without overtraining and injury. Believe me, I know injury and overtraining.

And I agree, (if I am understanding right) if you are starting the year at 10 min./miles on the run and 15.5 mph on the bike, you are going to do fine by the time the HIM gets here.  However there is a little matter of the swim beforehand   ...   

Have a great day everyone!

Ice.
2010-12-26 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Just completed my first ever 8 mle run (8.2) in a Nor'Easter.

Psyched.

The only downside - 11.24 mm.

Edited by cheekymonkeys1 2010-12-26 3:23 PM
2010-12-26 3:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Good day everyone.  got out and ran 4 miles today.  i am in atlanta and it snowed here yesterday and this am so it was my first ever snow run (although tthe streets were pretty dry).  some of you run in this stuff all winter.  i have alot of respect for your dedication!

i was worried as well about my HIM plan because i am slower and based on minutes i might not get enough miles in.  i have actually tried to custom my own plan with 3 days of swimming, biking and running each week.  i dont know if this is too much or not enough but when i get into it you all can see what you think based on my logs.

i have a question about a trainer.  i just purchased my first tri bike and trainer.  i imagine most of my workouts will be on a trainer.   how does a workout on a trainer and an actual ride compare??  besides one being alot more boring!
2010-12-26 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
3 hours on the Computrainer doing Pigman HIM and a warmup followed by 30 minutes of yoga, stretching and foam rollers.  Good day.

Depends on what kind of trainer you have.  I can speak to fluid trainers.  You can make them replicate nearly everything you'll find on the road. Low cadence/high power for long hills, spinning at tempo with  high power/high cadence...you can do cadence drills, one legged drills, VO2 max sprints, all kinds of fun stuff to break up the monotony.   Trainers get a bad rap IMO.  They are a great tool.  You can condense exercise periods to get the most out of them.  Lets face it, when we ride in groups or even alone on the road we waste time getting out of town, hanging with friends...waiting for people to catch up.  The trainer is a great tool if you use it right.

And MC?  When you were running in the NEaster, how many people did you run into?  Not many, I suspect.  Be proud of that result.  I have a friend who had a sign-off to his postings here that said "I do what another man won't do today so I can do what another man can't do tomorrow."  That's what you did. Those miles under those conditions are precious.  You'll be smiling when you turn out the lights tonight. You rock!

Edited by IceManScott 2010-12-26 3:40 PM
2010-12-26 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran
thanks man.  i have a few spinerval dvds that i watch.  what is the pigman HIM program? 

2010-12-26 4:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

The Computrainer is a computer-linked trainer.  My coach emails me computer files based on the actual profiles of actual rides. when there is a hill on the course, it is on the screen too.  There are three kinds.  One is the course only and he and tell me how hard to do it based on my Power Tap.  He told me to take the 57 miles of the Pigman course at 70% FTP which for me comes out at 210 watts.  When I get to a hill, the computrainer increases the restance on the wheel so I have to pedal harder.  Downhills, easier.  Then there are other kinds of files that are not based on a course.  They are merely set up to be intervals.  So I had one this week that was 5 mins at 100% then 5 mins easy then 3 times 1 min at 105% each.  That was one set.  I did three. Then there are real course DVDs where you can ride against a pacer avatar on the screen where you actually see the landscape.  I have the Wis. IM course but haven't played with that yet.

Spinervals are good DVDs.  Vision Quest's founder Robbie Ventura has some good vids out.  Another thing to check out is a book called the Time Crunched Cyclist by Carmichael, Lance Armstrong's couch.  he has a lot of workouts there. Active.com has a bunch I've heard though I've never looked and this place BT has some too, I think that are free.  Most  of these can be done using a heart rate monitor instead of a power meter.  The only draw back of a HR meter that I know of is that they don't respond fast enough on fast 1 to 3 minute bursts of high power and cadence called VO2 drills.  That's OK though...they usually are go-all-out times so if you are trying to go all out, you won't go wrong.  On the road you can just sprint to the next mailbox or sprint a certain number of telephone poles and rest the same number, etc. 

2010-12-26 4:48 PM
in reply to: #3261429

User image

Expert
David - I came up with 14 - does that sound right?

razorxp Mentor Group

razorxp -Dave
kcgolf - Kevin
robburkett - Rob
gabrelsj - Jason
cspreiter - Caleb
monkeyshines9879-Steph
tmoran80 - Tim
IceManScott - Scott
merrberruns - Mary
mfspears - Mary
kdevarenne - Keith
cheekymonkeys1 - Deborah
brybrymd - Bryan

sanhador - Erin

razorxp - 2010-12-25 6:22 PM Merry Christmas everyone! Safe travels:

I was able to sneak out for run #2 today before lunch.  Tim that is a great Tpace do you struggle with sighting when in open water (if so do you do sight drills in pool)?  If you can hold 1:30 for any distance you are strong swimmer in the pool.

Tim I forgot to thank you for the group list: Since I have no idea of how to do it could you update it with our newest members so we can all post in our logs.  Thanks Again

Edited by tmoran80 2010-12-26 5:38 PM
2010-12-26 4:59 PM
in reply to: #3261548

User image

Expert
Deborah - I have also had a hard time with this concept but have become a believer in the time aspect over distance.  I have kind of bought into the system that it isn't about slogging out mile after mile but the quality of those miles.  All the time based plans are based on either HR or perceived effort.  If you follow these you will get quality workouts and make you a stronger/fit athlete.  I used to be consumed with miles and only ended up getting injured.

Perfect example is last summer I was following the HIM plan and had a 1/2 marathon to run.  My longest run had only been 6 miles and I was concerned I hadn't "put in the miles" but I had stuck to the HIM plan and was having really good workouts.  I ended up beating most of my buddy's who I would consider equal in ability and were training for a marathon -sloggin out the miles.  I felt great after the race.  So....in my opinion I would stick with the time/Hr based programs and practice quality over quantity.

Hope that makes sense.
cheekymonkeys1 - 2010-12-25 10:01 PM So I have a question.....

2010-12-26 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3261429

User image

Expert
I definitely have to work on my sighting.  I have a little place up on a lake in Wisconsin that I planned on getting some OWS's in last year but with how busy I was we only got up there 2 times last summer.  I am going to make it a point to either get up there or get some workouts in Lake Michigan this year.  At Branson last year I averaged 1:53/100Y and was pretty disappointed with my swim.  I had la eaking goggles issue which added significant time.    I think it is just an experience issue and getting comfortable, finding my groove and good sighting. 

I got a good workout in today with main workout at 15 x 100Y at T-pace+5 sec and averaged about 1:38.

Tim that is a great Tpace do you struggle with sighting when in open water (if so do you do sight drills in pool)?  If you can hold 1:30 for any distance you are strong swimmer in the pool.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76