BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Mentor Group for Mommies - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2010-12-29 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3265668

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: owl_girl's Mentor Group for Mommies - CLOSED

momandmd - 2010-12-29 5:11 AM

Question of the Day

What sport of the three tri disciplines do you enjoy the most and why?  Which one do you enjoy the least and why?  What about the sport that is in between the two?

I enjoy running most, and I'm definately best at it.  I am not a big fan of swimming- I don't like to be cold, and I'm not very "aquadynamic" (ie my ankles are tight and form nice little right angles with my feet instead of making paddles, among other things).  I think with more time in the water I will get better, and I do think I'll be able to swim longer, but I don't think I'll ever be fast.  I like cycling, but I do get nervous on the roads, especially near our house where it is pretty busy, and there are no bike lanes.

My plan for today is a short bike and a strength training session.  Then dinner with my honey!  Have a great day everyone!

The roads in my area are not great for cycling, either.  I wear lots of bright yellow and ride with friends most of the time.  I also avoid some roads all together.

2010-12-29 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3265680

User image

Elite
far northern CA

megardiner - 2010-12-29 5:20 AM

Question of the Day

What sport of the three tri disciplines do you enjoy the most and why?  Which one do you enjoy the least and why?  What about the sport that is in between the two?

I enjoy running the most, even though I am not fast. I love the feeling of running... Swimming is the one that comes easiest to me, I have been swimming all of my life. However, I do not push myself when swimming (perhaps I should join masters).. My favorite part about swimming is that I feel completely relaxed durning and after swimming - it is almost like meditation. I like the bike the least, mostly because it is my weakest of the 3. I love spinning class but I cannot translate that energy on the road.

Plan for today: snowshoe on mountain trails and hopefully a swim later today

Meditation is the same way I regard running. 

2010-12-29 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3256657

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Question of the Day

Do you train with a heart rate monitor or power meter?

I am addicted to my heart rate monitor.  I have a Garmin 305.  My husband got it for my birthday just before I got pregnant.  I used it while I was pregnant to get my milage.  I train by heart rate now.  I do not have a power meter.  I wish I could get one but they are just to expensive right now.  I know it would bring my cycling up to the next level.

If anyone has any questions regarding heart rate training, let me know!

2010-12-29 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3266031

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
momandmd - 2010-12-29 9:55 AM

aquinn - 2010-12-29 10:13 AM And plans for today? Hopefully a short run- this week is really screwed up between work, company and more birthday celebrations later tonight. Laughing

Have a wonderful birthday, Amy!  I turned 40 just a couple of years ago- I have to say that I am much happier at 40 than I was at 30!  I can relate to much of your story- I've had surgery on both my knees (long ago now), I'm swimming ambivalent, and I am a foodie too!  Though I am not married to someone in the industry .  We've started doing a lot of local sourcing, especially for meat, which has been fun.  On the other hand, I have to learn how to cook things like chuck roast, which are fattier (even when grassfed) than I'm used to serving.  I also need to focus on the bike- I'll cheer you along!

We do have a lot in commmon! We actually eat local as well- from a year-round, full-diet CSA farm that does meat, dairy and grains in addition to produce. For a great read, google "The Dirty Life" by Kristin Kimball-- it's an awesome book about the story of this great farm.  I hear your on the fattier but overall healthier. I need to focus on less is more of some of these delicious farm foods-- and concentrate on the veggie aspect!
2010-12-29 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3266194

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
owl_girl - 2010-12-29 11:05 AM

Question of the Day

I am addicted to my heart rate monitor.  I have a Garmin 305.  My husband got it for my birthday just before I got pregnant.  I used it while I was pregnant to get my milage.  I train by heart rate now.  I do not have a power meter.  I wish I could get one but they are just to expensive right now.  I know it would bring my cycling up to the next level.

If anyone has any questions regarding heart rate training, let me know!

Batttery is dead in heart rate strap....for over 2 years now. I liked it when I used it.....need to get reinspired.
2010-12-29 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3266194

User image

Expert

owl_girl - 2010-12-29 12:05 PM

Question of the Day

I have a Garmin 305 which I love, but I've gotten away from using the HR monitor strap (bad me).  I should start up again, especially as I move in to harder runs.  The strap is so cold though... (I know, I know, SIUB).   I would love to get a power meter, especially as I log many bike hours on my trainer (a fluid trainer), but they are a bit pricey for us at the moment. 

2010-12-29 12:40 PM

User image

Expert

Ok, this is weird.  I am now the first post on the last 4 pages!!

Edited by momandmd 2010-12-29 12:40 PM
2010-12-29 2:47 PM

Bristol, England
I will have to talk very nicely to OH and see if I can borrow his Garmin, as I bought it for him for his birthday as I've never used one.

Didn't get in the pool today as it was full of kids again, but did manage to get another 8k bike and 2.5k run in, so distances are starting to increase.  Will try and up the run next as I've got my eye on a 5k at the end of Jan, and a 10k in May before the tri.

Edited by Cariann 2010-12-29 2:48 PM
2010-12-29 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3266693

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Cariann - 2010-12-29 12:47 PM I will have to talk very nicely to OH and see if I can borrow his Garmin, as I bought it for him for his birthday as I've never used one.

Didn't get in the pool today as it was full of kids again, but did manage to get another 8k bike and 2.5k run in, so distances are starting to increase.  Will try and up the run next as I've got my eye on a 5k at the end of Jan, and a 10k in May before the tri.

Great job, Sue!  Can you add all of us as friends so we can see your logs?  It is set to private right now.  We will be able to send you inspires and check on your training that way.

2010-12-29 2:53 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

I'm working on a list of all of us Mommies.  It might take me a day or so to finish it.  Check out my log if you want to see it.

2010-12-29 2:58 PM

New user

Question of the Day

I wear my heart rate monitor (a timex ironman) when I work out, although I wouldnt say that I use it to "train". I really look at the numbers retrospectively and my usual response to my heart rate is something like "wow, I must be really out of shape because for the 30 minutes I was running my heart rate was 170's". Do you use it during exercise to adjust the difficulty of your activity?

2010-12-29 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3266136

User image

Elite
far northern CA

owl_girl - 2010-12-29 8:37 AM

TheGoGoGoes - 2010-12-28 3:23 PM Sorry for the lack of formatting, I'm traveling and can't get the iTouch to do what I want! Name: Abbey Location: Lehigh Valley, PA. Training: when I get home this weekend I'll be starting the Hal Hidgon's HM plan. My goal is to add in some extra strength training to prepare for the Tough Mudder. The plan on SimpleFit.org looks good, has anyone here tried it? I like that I can do it at home with no noisy equipment to wake a sleeping kiddo.

I'll take a look at simplefit.  When is the Tough Mudder?

I looked at simplefit.  It looks ok, if not a bit boring.  I suggest the following workout that can be completed without equipment.

ACE At-Home Workout

2010-12-29 4:24 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Training with a heart rate monitor will add a whole new dimension to your training.  If you don't have a heart rate monitor, I encourage you to buy one.  Next, you need to do a field test to determine your appropriate training zones.  Here are the directions to the test:

Field Test to Determine Heart Rate Training Zones

The whole thread is pretty interesting if you have time to read it.  If not, the first post tells you exactly how to perform the test.  I've done the tests for cycling and running many times.  If you have questions, just ask.

2010-12-29 6:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Dinner with friends-- didn't make it out for a run. I guess this is how it rolls at the holidays! Looking forward to holiday detox starting very soon Laughing
2010-12-29 8:04 PM

User image

Regular
Conroe TX
Hi girls!

I am really BAD at posting here but I will make an effort I swear!

Rode the trainer today, did yoga and had a run (walk) too.  Miserable weather, all inside.  I don't run so well on treadmills so the miles were painful.  Anyhoo, just getting my mojo this week. 

I really will TRY to catch up tomorrow I promise!
Best
2010-12-29 8:32 PM
in reply to: #3267173

User image

New user

Madison

Question of the Day

I use a Polar HRM.  It is a running trainer so it has a footpod and allows me to run outdoors without needing to map my distance ahead of time, which I love!  It has a ton of features but honestly, I don't even use most of them!  I wear it so I know the calories I burned, the total time I worked out and my HR while working out.  It motivates me to work harder Tongue out

2010-12-29 10:08 PM
in reply to: #3266851

owl_girl - 2010-12-29 5:13 PM

owl_girl - 2010-12-29 8:37 AM

TheGoGoGoes - 2010-12-28 3:23 PM Sorry for the lack of formatting, I'm traveling and can't get the iTouch to do what I want! Name: Abbey Location: Lehigh Valley, PA. Training: when I get home this weekend I'll be starting the Hal Hidgon's HM plan. My goal is to add in some extra strength training to prepare for the Tough Mudder. The plan on SimpleFit.org looks good, has anyone here tried it? I like that I can do it at home with no noisy equipment to wake a sleeping kiddo.

I'll take a look at simplefit.  When is the Tough Mudder?

I looked at simplefit.  It looks ok, if not a bit boring.  I suggest the following workout that can be completed without equipment.

ACE At-Home Workout

The ace workout does look good, and you're right I'm sure I will get bored with the simple fit workout at some point. But, I think I'll stick with the rather dull simple fit for now. I like that it takes zero coordination, I don't have to look anything up to remember what to do, and, theoretically I'll be able to do at least one chin up some day! I also have some 10 minute Pilate workouts through NetFlix streaming that don't need equipment, but I can't seem to get into the habit of doing them like I can get into the routine of running. And the Tough Mudder is early April. As I get closer and stronger they have some strength moves on their website geared toward the obsticles in the event. I've heard of people adding sit ups and push ups into their runs. Do you recommend this? Or should I keep strength workouts separate?
2010-12-30 10:12 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Good morning!  What are your plans today?

2010-12-30 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3266725

User image

Elite
far northern CA

megardiner - 2010-12-29 12:58 PM

Question of the Day

I wear my heart rate monitor (a timex ironman) when I work out, although I wouldnt say that I use it to "train". I really look at the numbers retrospectively and my usual response to my heart rate is something like "wow, I must be really out of shape because for the 30 minutes I was running my heart rate was 170's". Do you use it during exercise to adjust the difficulty of your activity?

I, absolutely, use my heart rate monitor to adjust the difficulty of my running or cycling.  It is important to remain within a HR range that I can maintain.  If you take a look at the thread that I linked to, you will find out how to find your HR training zones.

Most training should be done within zone 2.  Most people are surprised to find that they are training to hard.  As soon as they slow down, their endurance and consistency begins to improve.

I suggest that you do the field test to take your training to the next level.

2010-12-30 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3267205

User image

Elite
far northern CA

melmarie80 - 2010-12-29 6:32 PM

Question of the Day

I use a Polar HRM.  It is a running trainer so it has a footpod and allows me to run outdoors without needing to map my distance ahead of time, which I love!  It has a ton of features but honestly, I don't even use most of them!  I wear it so I know the calories I burned, the total time I worked out and my HR while working out.  It motivates me to work harder Tongue out

Working out harder isn't always the best idea.  I am a firm believer in exercising relatively easy in order to remain consistent day after day after day.

The calorie burn that your monitor displays may not be accurate if you just plugged in your age, height and weight.  Are you able to create your own HR zones on that monitor?  I bet you can.  If you do the field test and then plug in your HR numbers, you will get a much more accurate estimate of calorie burn.

2010-12-30 11:28 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Question of the Day

Do you follow a workout schedule?

I do not follow a pre-planned workout schedule.  I base my workouts around my running.  Here is what works for me.

• Mon-long swim (morning) and teach Spinning
  • Tues-short run (morning) and hard bike (evening)
  • Wed-easy swim (morning) and easy bike (evening) and teach Spinning
  • Thurs-medium run (morning or evening)
  • Fri-short run (morning) and teach Spinning and medium bike (evening)
  • Sat-long bike (morning)
  • Sun-long run (morning)

I do not plan rest days.  If I miss a workout, I do not try to make it up.  I just continue with the next planned workout.  I take yoga classes and do yoga at home when I can fit it in.  I am not doing any weight training right now.

For my running workouts, I follow the 10% rule.  My long runs will eventually top out at 15 miles.  Currently, I'm at 9-10 miles for the long run.

For my cycling, I'm loosely following Jorge's Winter Cycling Plan.  I highly recommend this plan if you have a large cycling base.

For my swimming, I just get my a$$ to the pool.

2010-12-30 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3268108

User image

New user

Madison
owl_girl - 2010-12-30 11:13 AM

Question of the Day

Working out harder isn't always the best idea.  I am a firm believer in exercising relatively easy in order to remain consistent day after day after day.

The calorie burn that your monitor displays may not be accurate if you just plugged in your age, height and weight.  Are you able to create your own HR zones on that monitor?  I bet you can.  If you do the field test and then plug in your HR numbers, you will get a much more accurate estimate of calorie burn.

I just mean it tells me when I'm slacking.  So I like to maintain a HR of 80% of my max HR during workouts.  So if I'm only at 60% then I need to pick up the pace.

It does, I had to put in my resting heart rate and do a series of tests when I first bought the watch. 
2010-12-30 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3268179

User image

New user

Madison

Question of the Day

This is my current plan until 1/10 when my triathlon program starts:
Monday: Bootcamp and 20-30 minutes of elliptical prior
Tuesday: Spinning AM and Combat PM
Wednesday: Bootcamp and 20-30 minutes of elliptical prior
Thursday: Spinning
Friday: Bootcamp and 20-30 minutes of elliptical prior
Saturday: Running or Step/Combat/Attack Class
Sunday: Off

As of 1/10 I expect it to go something like this:
Monday: Tri training (class is Monday nights for 90-120 minutes focusing on the different disciplines)
Tuesday: Spinning AM and Combat PM (I just love the Combat class!)
Wednesday: Bootcamp
Thursday: Swimming AM and Spinning PM
Friday: Bootcamp
Saturday: Running
Sunday: Off

I might need to do even less Bootcamp and add some more swimming and running..

2010-12-30 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3268179

User image

Elite
far northern CA

melmarie80 - 2010-12-30 9:51 AM
owl_girl - 2010-12-30 11:13 AM

Question of the Day

I just mean it tells me when I'm slacking.  So I like to maintain a HR of 80% of my max HR during workouts.  So if I'm only at 60% then I need to pick up the pace.

It does, I had to put in my resting heart rate and do a series of tests when I first bought the watch. 

Ahhh.  The Karvonen formula!  That formula is not very accurate.  It was designed to alleviate some of the problems with the "220 minus age" formula.  Unfortunately, it still uses that aweful formula as it's base.  The Karvonen formula is not very accurate for a vast majority of people.

What additional tests did you have to do?

2010-12-30 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3268142

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
owl_girl - 2010-12-30 11:28 AM

Question of the Day

I do not follow a pre-planned workout schedule.  I base my workouts around my running.  Here is what works for me.

• Mon-long swim (morning) and teach Spinning
  • Tues-short run (morning) and hard bike (evening)
  • Wed-easy swim (morning) and easy bike (evening) and teach Spinning
  • Thurs-medium run (morning or evening)
  • Fri-short run (morning) and teach Spinning and medium bike (evening)
  • Sat-long bike (morning)
  • Sun-long run (morning)

I do not plan rest days.  If I miss a workout, I do not try to make it up.  I just continue with the next planned workout.  I take yoga classes and do yoga at home when I can fit it in.  I am not doing any weight training right now.

For my running workouts, I follow the 10% rule.  My long runs will eventually top out at 15 miles.  Currently, I'm at 9-10 miles for the long run.

For my cycling, I'm loosely following Jorge's Winter Cycling Plan.  I highly recommend this plan if you have a large cycling base.

For my swimming, I just get my a$$ to the pool.

What do you recommend if we are trying to build a large cycling base?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Mentor Group for Mommies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14