BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-01-05 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3257135

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Subject: RE: The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED

NAME: Kevin (Mainer22)

STORY: 36 in 2011

FAMILY STATUS: Married, two kids

CURRENT TRAINING:   Resuming bike/run build for next ~12 weeks or so.  I'll swim periodically during that time, then put it all together for about 10 weeks leading into the Patriot HIM in June.  I don't follow a plan other than to get my workouts in when I can, around work/family/life.

2009 RACES: First year in triathlon, completed a couple of sprints while building fitness and getting the hang of things.

2010 RACES: I completed the Norway Sprint Triathlon for the 2nd str8 year, the Peaks to Portland 2.4 mile open water swim, Beach to Beacon 10K, and have been running 5K's through the fall/winter.

2011 Plan: I'm continuing the running with a 4miler in Jan and the Cape Elizabeth Mid-Winter Classic 10 miler in Feb on the schedule right now.  I am moving to the longer distances in triathlons this year, jumping up to the Patriot HIM in June, and the Pumpkinman HIM in Sept.  I'll return to Peaks to Portland 2.4 mile swim, as I gained knowledge through experience there last year and can do much better.  I'll also look to work in a couple of sprint tri's, to be determined.  I'll be at the Boston Marathon and IMLP as a volunteer (Sports Massage) and aim for 2012 IMLP as an entrant.

WEIGHT LOSS: I'm at 225 right now, which is about my ceiling.  I will be looking to drop steadily from now through spring down to about 205.  I use "the daily plate" on livestrong, which is a fantastic educational tool as well as helping you to stay focused on the mission.

MISC:  I was frustrated in 2010 by my lack of even an average run.  I am typically FOP swim, low FOP/top MOP bike, then I run and see everyone pass on by....So I'm going to try long course and just building more of a base fitness wise so it will help my run out in shorter distances.  I was a mentee in a group my first year and had alot of fun with it.  I've been lurking on ST more and more and recently only have been on BT to log my training.  I saw the mentor groups form, this group looked fun and I could use the motivation so Thanks for letting me join late!  I didn't take a break from training in the fall, so I just took a couple weeks off around the holiday and will be getting back to it today.

I think my logs are "public" - if you can't see them, let me know and I'll dig to fix it..... Nothing there for the past couple weeks, but I increased volume quite a bit 2010 over 2009, which I was happy with.

2011-01-05 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3279401

User image

Expert
Hi y'all:

I hope your training is going well!  It looks like people are working hard and getting the workouts in...

Today, with a sick kid (just a virus), I had to get creative since I couldn't make it to the gym.  So, I sent up my bike on a stand in the basement and latched the kid into her high chair and rode for 20 minutes.  It felt good.  The funny thing was that to keep my 22 month old daughter happy, I had to keep singing her songs (wheels on the bus, old mcdonald, head shoulders knees and toes).  Keeping my heart rate under 130 was almost impossible with all the singing but I was glad I got my workout in.  

Hope you are all doing well!

DQ 
2011-01-05 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3277502

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Ally, great swim workouts.  I will admit that I didn't think goggles made a difference either, that is till I tried on my coaches Blue Seventy pair...wow.  They made so much of a difference I wouldn't have believed it either.  Now I have a pair of the Blue Seventy and a backup pair of regular goggles.
2011-01-05 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3271449

User image

St. Clair Shores, MI
Subject: RE: The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group with wbayek & itsallrelative_Maine - OPEN

Hi Group!  I forgot to tell my "story".  It'll be brief:

Story: I am a 43 year old female.  I did my first triathlon last June and did pretty well.  I would like to try the olympic distance this year. 

Family:  Married with 15 year old daughter

Race Plans:  About 5 5K runs planned from now till June.  June 12th is my triathlon

Strenghts/Weeknesses:  I am mainly a cyclist.  I am an ok swimmer and the furthest I have ever run is 5 miles.  So...I need help with the swimming and running.  I am hoping my first time experience with triathlon last year will help me help others.  It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be!!

Edited by jgrigg 2011-01-05 6:37 PM
2011-01-05 6:32 PM

User image

NH
I agree that goggles make a huge difference in swimming. I bought some of those geeky tri goggles, and it was night and day for me.  They're made by Aqua  Sphere and look a little like ski goggles.  Anyway, to me it seems like a very personal thing, so finds the goggle which fits your face and is comfy, and go with it.

I am up for any version of those challenges.  You guys will get me to the pool yet this winter!

Welcome Kevin - you sounds a bit like me.  The run is where we watch everyone we passed on the bike pass us back!  Long course was fun for me last year, especially the training.
2011-01-05 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3280734

User image

NH
Subject: RE: The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group with wbayek & itsallrelative_Maine - OPEN
jgrigg - 2011-01-05 7:28 PM Yes.  The Motor City Triathlon in Detroit in June.  I have never run more than 5 miles so I am very apprehensive.

Plenty of time, and you'll be prepared!

2011-01-05 6:46 PM

User image

St. Clair Shores, MI
Goggles...Do they make any that won't make me look like a racoon for 2 hours after I get out of the pool?  I am not wearing them too tight....I am just old and the thin skin around my eyes is pretty sensitive.
2011-01-05 6:56 PM

User image

Regular
I got in a treadmill run today - so far so good.  My nutrition today - awful.  I see that some of you use the log's nutrition tracking feature & I think maybe I'll give it a try.  In addition to eating less in general, I really need to work out a plan to fuel my workouts & recovery & still leave some room to enjoy meals with my family.  (Any tips for getting started with logging or planning are most welcome - either as a post or PM.)
2011-01-05 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3280771

User image

Regular
Jeri - The larger/softer cup goggles I bought solved most of that for me (google TYR Nest Pro Performance Goggle to see what mine look like).  I still get some faint rings occasionally, but nothing like from my original goggles.  (small children no longer run screaming)

2011-01-05 7:27 PM
in reply to: #3280771

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Jeri, I use Blue Seventy Vision and do not have the racoon eyes after a 2hr swim.  I purchased my pair for $20 at Swimoutlet.com.  Another reason I like these goggles, if water does get inside the goggle. The water stays at the bottom of the goggle. There is a lip inside that holds the water so it doesn't bother you while you swim.  I agree with Ally in that the goggles with a larger/softer eye makes the difference.

Edited by scott1223 2011-01-05 7:31 PM
2011-01-05 8:17 PM

User image

Nevada
Tried a brick workout today for the first time. Biked 14 miles, it took an hour, and then ran 2.2 miles. The great part was even after the hour of biking I was able to run 2 miles at a 9:30 pace which is good for me!! Fun Fun Fun!! The best part was the weather was actually nice today 50 degrees. Not to rub it inCool

I like the challenge ideas. Sounds fun. I could swim,bike,run my way to New England while you all do the same in this direction. 
Wendy 

2011-01-05 8:41 PM

Burlington
Hello all -- just a quick note to say I did 4 miles today of walk/jog, and did more jogging than walking post-warm-up.

Off to bed to make up for last night's missed shut eye....
Kim 
2011-01-06 7:02 AM

User image

NH
Jeri - all those goggles ideas are sound.  Mine also don't give me the raccoon look.  I have a Aqua Sphere Seal goggles.  Goggles are so personal since our faces are all very different, but I think everyone's right to pick a pair with the larger eye socket.

Ally - this is a tough time of year to get nutrition under control!  In terms of logging food, just keep a journal in whatever form you can maintain at least for a week or two.  It's very interesting to keep track of absolutely everything you eat for a short period of time.  Also, in terms of fueling vs. eating normally, just be sure to fuel a little post workout, and if you're gonna cheat (with sweets etc), right after a workout is the best time.  I'll post more nutrition ideas as we go ahead.

Wendy - Great brick.  Don't you have a 10k in a few days!  That's a pretty heavy workout a few days from a race.

Kim - Good job on the run.  Staying consistent is will get you there.
2011-01-06 7:33 AM

HI hope everyone is doing well.   After doing my swim last night and watching some videos on line I think my form is bad.  Thinking that I am likely going to take some swimming lessons to correct this. I think that I am going to try the goggles.  I currently don't use them. What about a head cap, do they make much a difference in terms of speed?

Does any have any ideas about dealing with post knee workout pain?  I am finding today my knees are very sore.  No other sore muscles though.

Sounds like everyone is going strong.  Have a great day everyone!!!!
2011-01-06 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
I too use the Aqua Sphere - they are big - but I was really self-conscious about the divet the regular goggles would leave in my sensitive under eye area...these really seem to help with that.

For anyone who is thinking about getting swim lessons and hasn't - I would really recommend them...I have found that *my* perception of my form is considerably different than what is actually done. Having another set of eyes evaluate you can be really helpful.

Ally - I use Calorie Counter (through livestrong) to track my calories in and out. I have it set up to the "little or no activity" for each day and then track all my workouts. While I think (in general), the burned calories estimated is a bit high, I try to "undershoot" my calories for the day by about 300. It is a tricky balance - you want to consume enough calories to keep you properly fueled for your next workout, but not so many that you gain weight. Warren has some great insight on this...but the first step for me was tracking every single thing I ate for a couple of weeks.

Wendy - good job on the two sport day!

David - I love how you figured out how to get the workout in...but yes, I imagine singing while cycling does raise the heartrate a bit! I have a phone in the basement next to the trainer (in case someone calls while I am in the middle of a workout) - but really have to get motivated to answer the call if the phone rings...I would sound like a heavy breather!

So - for the challenge would you all like to do an IM distance challenge (give each participant a month to complete the total distance - 2.4 miles swim, 112 miles bike and 26.2 miles run) or the bike to Vegas (and bike to Maine for Wendy) in a few months time? [looking at the distance - I would have to ride almost 3000 miles to get to Vegas from my front door...maybe a closer central locale would be better? Chicago?]

Hope all are doing well...today is my day off [from working out, sadly not from work], which I am enjoying so far!
2011-01-06 9:16 AM

On the nutritional help, I have been using spark people.com finding it has a lot of good resources. Took your advice Jennifer, I called my Ymca this morning going to be starting swimming lessons next Monday.
More of less answered my own question about knee pain it seems that strength training the legs (which I have been doing) and taking it alittle slower getting back in  the cycling and running.  So thinking that my next few weeks will be shorter less intense sessions for the time being

2011-01-06 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3281761

User image

Nevada
I use Spark People too. It works great for me, plus if you have a smart phone they have an app for it.
2011-01-06 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3281761

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
TMUISE1 - 2011-01-06 10:16 AM

On the nutritional help, I have been using spark people.com finding it has a lot of good resources. Took your advice Jennifer, I called my Ymca this morning going to be starting swimming lessons next Monday.
More of less answered my own question about knee pain it seems that strength training the legs (which I have been doing) and taking it alittle slower getting back in  the cycling and running.  So thinking that my next few weeks will be shorter less intense sessions for the time being

I use sprakpeople.com too but I don't log my workouts but I use to log my food. I just joined weight watchers so I wil be using their website.
2011-01-06 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3281582

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I would like to do the challenge.

IM distance challenge (give each participant a month to complete the total distance - 2.4 miles swim, 112 miles bike and 26.2 miles run)
2011-01-06 4:38 PM
in reply to: #3282464

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Lovey - 2011-01-06 1:40 PM I would like to do the challenge. IM distance challenge (give each participant a month to complete the total distance - 2.4 miles swim, 112 miles bike and 26.2 miles run)

Count me in for the IM challenge.  What is the official Day #1 going to be?

In other news, I'd like to publicly announce that the treadmill drains the life out of me, takes my spirit to live, and turns me into a sniveling little baby....The closest comparison I can make would be the effects of the Harry Potter character "Dementors"....  I am going to just have to forget the treadmill was ever invented and simply start running outside. 
2011-01-06 6:55 PM

User image

NH
Tara - I think you're on the right path going less intense and slowly building up the running and cycling.  Running in particular it's important to go slowly, and in general only add distance or intensity at one time, and the 10% rule is a good starting point (no more than 10% increase a week, with a down week every 2-4 weeks).  It's also important to know your own body.  If I do an intense run, I need a full day off and usually two from running to be ready for another running session.  Biking can generally be built much faster, but again we're all different in how much increase we can tolerate.

Lovey - I'm in for the challenge.  You guys are gonna get me in the pool this winter!

Kevin - I totally agree in the treadmill.  After a few runs outside, it really isn't bad.  You'll figure out how much clothing you need and then it's actually fine.  Wind is an issue, so just be prepared for that (I bring a neck up and to keep my cheeks warm when the wind howls).

2011-01-06 7:25 PM

User image

St. Clair Shores, MI

Thanks to everyone for the goggle tips!  Now I won't here my co-workers say "Oh..you must have been swimming before work this morning"

Also thanks for the tip on the YMCA for swimming lessons.  I have been thinking about getting help for awhile and didn't want to turn to Criag's List to find a coach!

Great job to everyone on their workouts.  Being in a group like this is great motivation to keep up with the workouts and the training log.

2011-01-06 9:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

Jeri, I agree it is nice to have a group for support and motivation.  

I am in for the challenge...when does it start?

2011-01-07 5:52 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Woot! Looks like we've got a challenge. Okay - how about we start Sunday (the day the weeks start in the BT workout logs) January 16 (to give you all a week to get ready)...the goal is to swim 2.4 miles, ride 112 miles and run 26.2 miles. I would like to give everyone a month to complete it (So the last day to get your mileage in would be February 13)...does that sound reasonable? We could also have a "medal" for whomever completes the distance first and whomever completes the distance "most creatively" (don't know what that means...maybe covering the distance in unusual ways?).

Kevin - the treadmill is difficult at best for me. To make it worse, mine is in the basement so I spend the entire workout looking at all the tidying up I need to do. I really try to run outside unless the road conditions are too dicey. Layer up. I also wear a balaclava (I have found for me if my neck is warm, I'm warm) with my baseball cap and wool socks. It is really nice to run on freshly fallen snow - it's so peaceful and everything is clean!

Great job this week all! I like seeing you all leaving inspires for others in the group...thank you.
2011-01-07 7:29 AM

KNees are feeling much better did no running or biking yesterday.  Going to try treadmill and cycling tonight for short periods of both,

Yesterday's workout was swimming 20 minutes and weight training 1 hour in group power.

I'm in on the challenge starting today. 

Edited by TMUISE1 2011-01-07 7:39 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23