BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-05-08 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4733358

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED
ibr80 - 2013-05-08 1:35 PM

I was so pumped about signing up for my TRI in august last night that I went and started training TODAY !!! I went to planet fitness and after only running a mile at a time today I took a crack at a 5k and I actually did it. I used my nike + app to record it and I actually paused it by accident when I was at 2.3 miles because I unplugged my headphones because they were slipping out of my ears. So when I thought I was at 3.0 miles I was actually at 2.2 I ALMOST FAINTED !!! LOL ! But I stuck with it and did 3.0 on the phone that in reality was about 3.9 miles NONSTOP. This is a mayor milestone for me folks I havent ran that distance in about 15 years. Cool My time was as per the Nike + ( very accurate btw ) was :

DISTANCE :3 MILES

TIME: 31:44

LAP TIME : 10:34

CALORIES : 463

Big props! -- I applaud your willingness to jump in with both feet! I wish that were more my style, I dont even dare look at available tris in my area yet!

2013-05-08 12:41 PM
in reply to: #4725832

User image

Extreme Veteran
Isaac, that is freaking awesome.  I get so pumped up, by others getting pumped up.Cool 
2013-05-08 12:50 PM
in reply to: #4733359

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Open

Usulsuspct - 2013-05-08 12:36 PM How do you guys/gals feel about weight training while also trying to prepare for tris? My initial entry to preparing for tris came from a need to drop some weight. I was pretty sedentary (read that as lazy) and needed to make some global changes to my diet / exercise etc etc....so a year later (and about 85 lbs) here I am. I had been using running and weight training as my vehicles to getting my fitness up but with the desire to participate in some triathlons I have brought cycling and now swimming into the training regiment. I am also still lifting a couple days a week (mainly upper body / back) - and was wondering if others are including weight training in their programs. I am torn a bit, I like the weight training but realize that with finite hours available for swim/bike/run training the lifting is going to take a back seat. Today I got out for a decent ~7 mile run this morning while desperately trying to stay in my z2 heart rate range. Which is way harder than I thought it was going to be, who would have guessed that trying to go slower and control the heart rate would be so difficult! I hit the gym and did some back / bicep lifting and then tonight is my first swim lesson.... I think I may have bitten off too much today! Hence the wondering how everyone finds the hours to make legitimate training progress?

Jason, I can tell you that the only strength training I do with any form of regularity is for my core.  To be honest if I go to the gym it's usually to attend spin glass or to run on the treadmill due to bad whether or time of day.  You will find others that say you should strength train 2+ times a week - that works for them.  I guess for me I just can't see doing leg presses or whatever it may be, when I am training to do a bike ride of whatever distance it may be.  You improve by doing is my thought, but I have never been a weightlifter so it really wasn't a change for me.  Do what works for you, I know that some guy / gals can only relieve stress in the weight room and that is fine, it just doesn't need to be as frequent.  Please bear in mind that I am referring to flat out weightlifting type strength training for hours each week.  Like I said I will run through 15 minute circuits a couple times a  week for core and general strength, but that is not all the time.  So yes it does help, but to me there is a limit. 

Also you cracked me up with the Z2 comment. I recently started training by HR and thought I was never gonna finish my run in Z2, that run and Z2 were part of the inspriation behind the Turtle.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-05-08 1:56 PM
2013-05-08 1:57 PM

User image

Rensselaer, New York

Just purchased a Garmin 310xt w/ HR monitor off ebay for $165 all in. The description said that it is a new unit that the packaging was damaged on.

I'm excited to get it next week and I plan on figuring out my RHR and MHR so I can start some zone training.

2013-05-08 2:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I just got a 310xt last week and retired my Forerunner 305, which was / is a great device.  I just wanted a 310 for the waterproof swim side of it and the ability to see the heart rate and other readings easier and clearer.  I gave $199.00 through Amazon w/ HR strap that is a referb, but has the full one year warranty.  Mike for what it's worth, the Speed / Cadence Sensor is well worth the $38 when you get the bike situation figured out.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-05-08 2:03 PM
2013-05-08 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4733539

User image

Rensselaer, New York

Hunting Triathlete - 2013-05-08 3:02 PM I just got a 310xt last week and retired my Forerunner 305, which was / is a great device.  I just wanted a 310 for the waterproof swim side of it and the ability to see the heart rate and other readings easier and clearer.  I gave $199.00 through Amazon w/ HR strap that is a referb, but has the full one year warranty.  Mike for what it's worth, the Speed / Cadence Sensor is well worth the $38 when you get the bike situation figured out.

I had to dip into the bike fund in order to get the Garmin, hopefully in the long run it will be worth it. I am hoping to have a bike by July 1st so as to have a few months of T.I.T.S to get ready for my Tri. 

2013-05-08 2:22 PM

User image

After dropping my 410cx on the tile floor at the gym and shattering the screen after going back and forth I ended up getting a 910xt. I figured if anything that would give me some added motivation to get into the pool and do some laps!

I was never to satisfied with the 410 and its touch bezel - so it didnt take much for me to upgrade. Next on the list is the speed / cadence sensor for the trainer.

Oh - and a road / tri bike....wife is gonna love that :D
2013-05-08 5:15 PM
in reply to: #4732808

User image

MJSolt - 2013-05-08 9:46 AM
Hunting Triathlete - 2013-05-07 9:36 PM
MJSolt - 2013-05-07 6:12 PM

First Spin Class

Sweat

Ouch

Will I ever walk right again?

Ouch

Gonna go stretch

LaughingMichael, this cracked me up.Tongue out  Let's do a first timers spin class test.  Did you look around to see who, if anyone, was struggling like you?  I remember looking around and seeing people that appeared out of shape that were killing it, and I was just wondering when the heck it was gonna end.  It's funny though because when you finish and cool off you kind of want more. Wink  Almost forgot the other test question. Did you feel a little funny walking in with bike shorts on?  Great Job Man

There were only 6 others in the class and no one was struggling like I was. I wasn't able to keep up with the pace or resistance and I only stood once. I just wanted to go, make it the whole 45 minutes, and see what it was all about. Next time I will try and stand more, hopefully that will alleviate some of the discomfort from the saddle. 

My rear end started to hurt about 15 minutes in and my the 30 minute make I was contemplating getting off the bike and calling it a day. I toughed it out and made it to the end. I just kept on going at whatever pace and resistance was comfortable to me. I did start to feel some knee pain when I would press it a bit, it seems to go away when I made an effort to get into proper form.

I didn't buy full on bike shorts, just some liners that I was able to wear regular gym shorts over. I am not sure what they actually did for me because I am pretty sore "down there" today. I plan to go back next week for sure. It was a great workout as I was sweating like crazy within the first 10 minutes.

did the instructor adjust the bike for you? i noticed that if the bike is not adjusted right i Will feel it right away! If i have.it dialed in o don't even need bike shorts. I prefer not to wear them in case i decide to jump on the treadmill after class which rarely happens. Running in bike shorts was not good!
2013-05-08 5:18 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Hi Dawn, Jim, and Ashley, and welcome!

Jim-You've hit the nail on the head with your comment about balancing life and training. It's one of the hardest things to manage! And just when you think you get the schedule right, something else happens to change what you can do and when.

Dawn, thanks for the pointer re: HTML paragraph command. I know very little computer stuff, I'll give it a go later (once I turn the tablet on) and see how it goes.

And Ashley, just getting started is the single biggest step on the road, congratulations Smile.

Heart rate monitors, I was going to ask who uses one! I invested in a Polar RS300X about 3 months ago and I use it for every workout. I chose Polar mostly for the ability to work in water, which is great. The watch is fairly small and the interface OK, but the seperate GPS unit is large and clunky and I must admit I don't use it much. For GPS tracking I take my phone and use the Runkeeper app, which gives me a nice map and an accurate distance. The added bonus is I have my phone if I get into any sort of trouble...hasn't happened yet (touch wood) and around here the worst I'll get is wild dogs or pigs, and that's pretty unlikely.

2013-05-08 5:20 PM
in reply to: #4733304

User image

New user
Hubbie - 2013-05-08 1:19 PMDawn-

Here's a funny story for you. I signed up for my first tri, I was all sorts of excited I mean I was PUMPED!! Then I realized that I couldn't swim!

So I did things a bit backwards but as its already been stated: we all had to learn. I have full confidence you'll be able to rock out the swim part on race day.

Glad to know its not just me! luckily for this Tri you don't have to know how to swim. The swim is time capped at 18 minutes so if you choose to just stand at the wall you can.

2013-05-08 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4733358

User image

New user
ibr80 - 2013-05-08 1:35 PM

I was so pumped about signing up for my TRI in august last night that I went and started training TODAY !!! I went to planet fitness and after only running a mile at a time today I took a crack at a 5k and I actually did it. I used my nike + app to record it and I actually paused it by accident when I was at 2.3 miles because I unplugged my headphones because they were slipping out of my ears. So when I thought I was at 3.0 miles I was actually at 2.2 I ALMOST FAINTED !!! LOL ! But I stuck with it and did 3.0 on the phone that in reality was about 3.9 miles NONSTOP. This is a mayor milestone for me folks I havent ran that distance in about 15 years. Cool My time was as per the Nike + ( very accurate btw ) was :

DISTANCE :3 MILES

TIME: 31:44

LAP TIME : 10:34

CALORIES : 463

woo-hoo!!

2013-05-08 5:32 PM
in reply to: #4733392

User image

New user
Hunting Triathlete - 2013-05-08 1:50 PM

Usulsuspct - 2013-05-08 12:36 PM How do you guys/gals feel about weight training while also trying to prepare for tris? My initial entry to preparing for tris came from a need to drop some weight. I was pretty sedentary (read that as lazy) and needed to make some global changes to my diet / exercise etc etc....so a year later (and about 85 lbs) here I am. I had been using running and weight training as my vehicles to getting my fitness up but with the desire to participate in some triathlons I have brought cycling and now swimming into the training regiment. I am also still lifting a couple days a week (mainly upper body / back) - and was wondering if others are including weight training in their programs. I am torn a bit, I like the weight training but realize that with finite hours available for swim/bike/run training the lifting is going to take a back seat. Today I got out for a decent ~7 mile run this morning while desperately trying to stay in my z2 heart rate range. Which is way harder than I thought it was going to be, who would have guessed that trying to go slower and control the heart rate would be so difficult! I hit the gym and did some back / bicep lifting and then tonight is my first swim lesson.... I think I may have bitten off too much today! Hence the wondering how everyone finds the hours to make legitimate training progress?

Jason, I can tell you that the only strength training I do with any form of regularity is for my core.  To be honest if I go to the gym it's usually to attend spin glass or to run on the treadmill due to bad whether or time of day.  You will find others that say you should strength train 2+ times a week - that works for them.  I guess for me I just can't see doing leg presses or whatever it may be, when I am training to do a bike ride of whatever distance it may be.  You improve by doing is my thought, but I have never been a weightlifter so it really wasn't a change for me.  Do what works for you, I know that some guy / gals can only relieve stress in the weight room and that is fine, it just doesn't need to be as frequent.  Please bear in mind that I am referring to flat out weightlifting type strength training for hours each week.  Like I said I will run through 15 minute circuits a couple times a  week for core and general strength, but that is not all the time.  So yes it does help, but to me there is a limit. 

Also you cracked me up with the Z2 comment. I recently started training by HR and thought I was never gonna finish my run in Z2, that run and Z2 were part of the inspriation behind the Turtle.

I find & believe that strength training will help me to not injure myself. Last year after completing the C25K program my right hip went completely out of alignment (ouch!). Poor core, back & hip musculature were to blame. I agree with Todd that focusing in the core is important - it plays a role in running, biking, swimming, everything. Paying attention to the upper body will keep you "balanced" since you are putting in so much leg work. I do traditional (i.e. free weights) full body strength training 1x a week and do a yoga/Pilates session 1x a week.

2013-05-08 5:34 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Usulsuspct - 2013-05-09 3:36 AM How do you guys/gals feel about weight training while also trying to prepare for tris? My initial entry to preparing for tris came from a need to drop some weight. I was pretty sedentary (read that as lazy) and needed to make some global changes to my diet / exercise etc etc....so a year later (and about 85 lbs) here I am. I had been using running and weight training as my vehicles to getting my fitness up but with the desire to participate in some triathlons I have brought cycling and now swimming into the training regiment. I am also still lifting a couple days a week (mainly upper body / back) - and was wondering if others are including weight training in their programs. I am torn a bit, I like the weight training but realize that with finite hours available for swim/bike/run training the lifting is going to take a back seat. Today I got out for a decent ~7 mile run this morning while desperately trying to stay in my z2 heart rate range. Which is way harder than I thought it was going to be, who would have guessed that trying to go slower and control the heart rate would be so difficult! I hit the gym and did some back / bicep lifting and then tonight is my first swim lesson.... I think I may have bitten off too much today! Hence the wondering how everyone finds the hours to make legitimate training progress?

I've been doing 2 days weight training per week to try to increase strength. One of my main motivators for getting into fitness/triathlon was to improve/regain strength I've lost with middle age. It has been a little hit and miss, as if I use the weights at home I'm invariably interrupted by my 3 year old daughter who wants to join in, and if I use the free weights at the gym I can never find what I want to use.

Generally though, I try and do one workout of deadlifts/single leg squats/pushups and seated rows, plus 6 core exercises one day, then later in the week do lunges/squats/pullups/shoulder press and 6 different core exercises. I aim for 3 sets of 8 reps, reasonably heavy weights.

2013-05-08 6:26 PM

User image

New user
I love rest days! That is all.
2013-05-08 7:26 PM
in reply to: #4732468

User image

Veteran
Louisville

KaraSchmitz - 2013-05-07 11:26 PM I just went through my second degree as well, and I will start grad school in August.  What program are you in?

I'll be at Texas Woman's University for a BS in Nutrition with an emphasis in Dietetics. What are you studying?

2013-05-08 7:28 PM
in reply to: #4732472

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Hunting Triathlete - 2013-05-07 11:30 PM
Rnay225 - 2013-05-07 9:40 PM

Room for one more?

NAME: Rnay225/Rennay (pronounced like Renee)

STORY: I'm a 25 year old second time college student. I did my first and only sprint tri last summer and have kept up and improved my SBR all winter even though I'm still pretty slow. I'm planning to do more sprints this year with the first being on May 18th which I'm super nervous about since it'll be my first time in a wetsuit. I originally planned to do my first oly this year but started graduate school in January and got too overwhelmed with everything to add in more intense training. I'm now switching programs and starting the path of becoming a Registered Dietitian and moving from Louisville, KY to the Dallas, TX area at the end of the summer and couldn't be happier! I'm not sure what started me in triathlons other than wanting to try something new. I used to run and did a full marathon in 2010 before quitting altogether for 2 years and gaining 60+ lbs so once I started working out again I decided I wanted to one day do an IM so went to the beginning and started with a sprint.

FAMILY STATUS: Not married but in a long term relationship. No kids. 2 cats and 1 dog who runs with me from time to time.

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been running all winter and just capped off my winter races with a HM on April 27th. I haven't been swimming as much as I should but I've been riding on the trainer and in spinning classes and lots of running. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Again, I've done lots of running races since January (2 10-milers, 2 HMs, a 10K and a couple of 5Ks). I'm planning to do a sprint on May 18th and another in June. Not sure about the rest of the summer yet though.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have been trying to lose weight for about a year and a half and am down 50 ish pounds. I set goals in 10 lb increments and have 25 lbs left to my overall goal weight. I'm really into food and nutrition and that's really the way weight is lost in my opinion.

WHAT YOU HOPE TO GET FROM THE GROUP: I'm just hoping to find a place where I can talk about tris with people who won't get annoyed and with people who can get it. I also just want to feel more connected to the triathlon community and be more comfortable with my race times and performance regardless of how slow they are.

Rennay, welcome to the group.

Let me tell you first off that you are more than welcome and I along with the others in this group will make sure you know that.  Trust me there will be no issue with speed in reference to you or anyone else.  We will all work together to accomplish our goals, whether we run like rabbits or the mighty green turtle.  We will have fun, stay active, and support each other.  I can also tell you that there is a huge triathlon community in Dallas as well as the surrounding area.

Welcome again, Rennay

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to the move and to getting to know each of you!

2013-05-08 7:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Alright everyone, here is a list of everyone in the group. (there may be one more coming in)

First Rule of the Group is to add each person to your friends list.  For those of you that don't know it's on the bottom left corner of your training log page.  Click on the plus buttom next to the word FRIENDS and then add each person.  Tip, if you click on ... it will allow you to enter a few characters of the name and then let you select from the matching list.  If you type it out it has to be exact.

Todd's_Tri_Turtles

Hunting_Triathlete_-_Todd  

MJSolt_-_Mike

corbetjackson50_-_Corbet

ibr80_-_Isaac

Taringa_-_Anna

NMS_-_Noreen

Usulsuspct_-_Jason

Rnay225_-_Rennay

KaraSchmitz_-_Kara

Hubbie_-_Beth

RZ0_-_Jim

iamDawnAnderson_-_Dawn

afischer01_-_Ashley

I pulled these out of my log and placed links with them, but I do not believe the links worked when I copy and pasted it here.  You can go to my page and see where / how I have the list, but I also have everyone listed in my friends list. 

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-05-08 7:58 PM
2013-05-08 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Second Rule,

Everyone needs to log their workouts, and try to do so daily.  First if you don't do so then you can not tell when / how you are improving.  Also if you ask a question in reference to training and I along with the others in the group can not see where you are at the advice given is almost like a shot in the dark.  By logging almost every day, it also helps to ensure that you are on here, staying active, and are more likely to post and stay involved.  Most of you wanted to be held accoutable and motivated, but I and others can't tell if your working out if you are not logging.  I can tell you that logging is free.

Third Rule is connected to Second Rule,

Try to sent out at least one inspire to each member of the group over the course of the week.  You can space them out, do them all in one night, however you want.  The main thing is that we all try to support each other.  EVERYONE IN THE GROUP SHOULD HAVE RECIEVED AN INSPIRE FROM ME TONIGHT TO SHOW WHAT IT IS AND HOW TO USE IT.

2013-05-08 8:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Alright Turtles, Last Thing for now.

I asked that everyone remember that this group is for everyone, whether slow or fast.  We will not minimize the accomplisments of others in the group no matter how slow or short they may or may not be.  I do feel that it needs to be stated and has already come up today that everyone is at different stages in experience and training.  For example, Jason posted today that he did an impressive 7 mile run, which is freaking great and was his accomplishment for the day.  Don't be afraid, and I encourage you to post right after his than you were able to run 1 mile non-stop today for the first time.  That is equally as impressive and needs to be celebrated just the same and I'm sure he will.  You have to remember that even the most experienced here has been a beginner and knows what it's like.  I can say that I have fallen to this before, I thought something I did was good and then read about someone elses time or distance and just kept it to myself.  I think some of this is why people stop participating in groups and the sport.  You are you, and that is what we will all focus on.  I said it before, I think this is going to be a great and a very supportive group, so I don't see anyone doing anything wrong, I mainly don't want people to be skeptical about posting. 

You can feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns you may have, but please try to ask tri related questions in the group thread.  NO questions are stupid or to small, if you are wander what the answer is, the likelyhood is that someone else wants to know as well.

Know your limits - if you go out to hard at the start and hurt yourself you are less likely to continue with this group and training.  We all tend to get pumped up and want to go 100 mph right from the start but we have to workout smart.  This kind of ties in with what is stated above, challenge yourself but don't think you have to do or be where others are. 

I will try to issue challenges for the group from time to time, with the first one being posted this Saturday or Sunday for next week.  That's called a tease!

Already stated, but everyone needs to start logging your workouts. 

Remember everyone needs to be active in the group, positive, and supportive.  (I think this group is going to be freaking awesome)  If y'all (Texas thing) can't tell I'm a pretty big cheerleader, but alot of that is becuase I found that it does motivate me to continue on the path I'm on. 

Lastly and I don't believe this will happen with anyone in this group, but if you decide to move on and no longer wish to be a part of this group or triathlon please let the group know in the thread or me by PM.  Please understand that when you do, I WILL try to talk you out of it, unless it's just you wanting to change groups because you think another group may be better suited for you.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-05-08 8:59 PM
2013-05-08 8:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

One last thing and it is going to be extremely corny, but here it is anyway

IT'S TURTLE TIME

2013-05-08 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4733867

User image

Extreme Veteran
Taringa - 2013-05-08 5:18 PM

Heart rate monitors, I was going to ask who uses one! I invested in a Polar RS300X about 3 months ago and I use it for every workout. I chose Polar mostly for the ability to work in water, which is great. The watch is fairly small and the interface OK, but the seperate GPS unit is large and clunky and I must admit I don't use it much. For GPS tracking I take my phone and use the Runkeeper app, which gives me a nice map and an accurate distance. The added bonus is I have my phone if I get into any sort of trouble...hasn't happened yet (touch wood) and around here the worst I'll get is wild dogs or pigs, and that's pretty unlikely.

Anna, I really like the 310 XT by Garmin.  It has GPS, ANT Technology, Water Resistant, 18 Hour Battery Life, HR monitor and recording, Detailed maps after your rides / runs + plus tracks outdoor swims.  Now the 910 is the Cadillac of Garmin and does the same plus some but comes with a heavier price tag.

2013-05-08 9:08 PM

I recently got a deal from Bowflex and I picked up the dumbbell set with the bench and stand for the dumbbells and it also came with a training DVD packages with bands and all. Everything retailed for about $1000 and got it shipped to the house for $450. So I try to do weight training at least 3 times a week but I stick to Chest, back & Arms. With all the bike riding Im doing there is not way I'm going to blow a muscle with squats and stuff like that. I feel I have to do it because after loosing 130 pounds I need the toning. But I was sort of wondering if the more muscle would require more oxygen when doing endurance type stuff so Im glad you brought it up. Anybody else have thoughts ??

2013-05-08 10:35 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
As I understand it, there are pros and cons. More muscle=more strength and therefore power, but more bulk to carry around and more oxygen and fuel consumed. But I think to get a large amount of extra muscle you need to be on a mega high protein diet, so with normal nutrition it's not a problem. I read somewhere that long cardio exercise sessions also inhibit muscle synthesis and deposition but I can't remember where that came from and I'm not sure what scientific backing/references that little snippet had.
2013-05-09 12:21 AM
in reply to: #4734024

User image

New user

Colorado

That is terrific. The group will be pumping you for your nutrition tips Smile.

I am originally from Texas.  I am an A&M alum (go aggies!)  I will be at the University of Colorado medical campus working on my PhD in Biochemistry.  

Rnay225 - 2013-05-08 6:26 PM

KaraSchmitz - 2013-05-07 11:26 PM I just went through my second degree as well, and I will start grad school in August.  What program are you in?

I'll be at Texas Woman's University for a BS in Nutrition with an emphasis in Dietetics. What are you studying?

2013-05-09 5:26 AM
in reply to: #4734137

User image

New user
Hunting Triathlete - 2013-05-08 9:39 PM

One last thing and it is going to be extremely corny, but here it is anyway

IT'S TURTLE TIME

Cowabunga!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45