General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-01-07 7:03 PM
in reply to: #4926115

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -CLOSED
Well in perfect form appsgonefree just told me Run Tracker is free today! Great app I used it regularly I until I got my garmin watch.

http://getapp.cc/app/453027672
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/run-tracker-gps-fitness-tracking/id4...

2014-01-07 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4926507

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
I think someone on here was asking for swimming tips, my best friend is the Swim Coach at Conn College and forwarded me this little article as a tip.

http://experiencelife.com/article/learn-this-skill-a-faster-freesty...
2014-01-08 5:50 AM
in reply to: diablo243

User image

Yardville, NJ
Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, what day is it. Mike? ... hump day!

Today is not a day to look backward, but a day to look forward. We may have missed a workout, maybe work is a drag, maybe we haven't been feeling it. That's all ok! Leave that in the dust and look forward! What will YOU do today? Or tomorrow? Or the the weekend? Make a commitment to get moving, get training! You can do it! WE can do it! Finish the week strong!
2014-01-08 5:54 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by diablo243

Well in perfect form appsgonefree just told me Run Tracker is free today! Great app I used it regularly I until I got my garmin watch.

http://getapp.cc/app/453027672
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/run-tracker-gps-fitness-tracking/id4...

Great tip! I love free stuff! "If it's free, it's for me!"

My favorite tracking app is Runtastic (which also has a free version, just not all the features of premium).

Thank you for sharing!
2014-01-08 9:45 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
I have been little frustrated lately. first 4 days I was doing awesome. I was dropping a lbs a day so I was down 4 lbs for the new year and down from an all time weight high. Next day I gained 5 lbs and been that way for the next 3 days. I know I not gotten into the habit of writing everything down but I know I do an OK job of keeping track of it in my head. I shoot for 2000 cals a day.

I got my new swim suit that will actually fit me now. So I thinking either Thursday or Friday to start hitting the pool again. Biggest Trouble is having to swim in the mornings. I am not a morning person.

I been making sure I get in atleast 5 miles walking/running (according to my pedometer fitbit one). He suggested I try for 6 or 7 miles a day. He thinks it would be less strain and easier on the body. I was thinking of doing about 9 miles a day for 3 days a week and then 4 days do 5.
2014-01-08 11:04 AM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
The scale annoys me so much that I don't even look at it anymore for the most part! If you're putting in the time and energy then muscle weighs more plain and simple! I use my clothes as my gauge and try to only weigh myself once a month to give enough time to see any substantial gains or loses.

Good job putting in the time and effort, keep it up and stay positive!

2014-01-08 11:45 AM
in reply to: #4926560

I step on the scale daily, first thing in the morning, but I don't live by it. I use it more just for reference because I can fluctuate several lbs over the course of a day. The goal is to see it trend downwards, but there are some days that it will be higher than the last. If I have a big workout day and don't drink enough water, the scale says I did awesome, but the truth is I didn't lose 2 lbs (or burn 7000 calories more than I took in) the day before, I'm really just dehydrated.

Don't be discouraged by the scale, use it as a tool. It may help to record everything in a training log if you don't already. Including weight. You may see some trends that can help explain the fluctuations. Aim for slow and steady weight loss. Unless you're one of those folks on the Biggest Loser, working out 6 hours + per day, a pound of weight loss per day is not realistic.

Just keep doing the diet and exercise thing, and the weight will definitely keep coming off. And when you get discouraged, post it here for a little encouragement. Don't forget to post the good stuff too, that helps motivate the rest of us as well. Keep up the hard work!
2014-01-08 12:02 PM
in reply to: DBGlobal

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Sort of good news is I looked at the BF% and after I calculated it out my total fat weight according to the scale is down 3 lbs. So being up 2 is not too bad. Muscles are getting sore so I am sure I am retaining more water because of that also. I also know mornings are not a good time for accurate BF% readings either.

2014-01-08 1:21 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

I check the scale once a week to see if I am trending down.  I used to do it on a daily basis, but I knew that I can swing 2 lbs easily in one day just from my fluid intake compared to what I lose everyday.  I usually use my color of my urine as a guide, as to how my hydration is going.  Just keep working at working out different ways, so your body is always adjusting.  If you only run, only bike, only swim, only lift, etc.... your body adapts quickly to that.  That is one of my biggest issues with myself, as I am not a runner and never have been.  But, 5 years ago, I was running a lot along with my biking and swimming and lifting and I was feeling soooooo much better than I feel now.  Time to get all of those things gong again.

2014-01-08 5:43 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by chirunner134

I have been little frustrated lately. first 4 days I was doing awesome. I was dropping a lbs a day so I was down 4 lbs for the new year and down from an all time weight high. Next day I gained 5 lbs and been that way for the next 3 days. I know I not gotten into the habit of writing everything down but I know I do an OK job of keeping track of it in my head. I shoot for 2000 cals a day.

I got my new swim suit that will actually fit me now. So I thinking either Thursday or Friday to start hitting the pool again. Biggest Trouble is having to swim in the mornings. I am not a morning person.

I been making sure I get in atleast 5 miles walking/running (according to my pedometer fitbit one). He suggested I try for 6 or 7 miles a day. He thinks it would be less strain and easier on the body. I was thinking of doing about 9 miles a day for 3 days a week and then 4 days do 5.

I hear ya, and feel your pain. The scale can be your best friend or your worst enemy. I have lost ~45 lbs but have hit a plateau and I can't get it to move lower. I've been floating +/- 2 lbs for a while. I'm learning to ignore the scale and look in the mirror, or how many clothes fit as a guage. I'm not losing weight, but I am losing inches.

As far as tracking food, I have to track everything. I'm a huge fan of MyFitnessPal. It's free to use, it has phone apps as well as web based, and it has huge database of food. I also love that my fitbit and other fitness apps sync directly to MyFitnessPal and adjusts my daily calories based on activity.

I also used to hate getting up at 5am to get in my workouts or swims. I've learned to live with it. I feel I have more energy during the day when I exercise early. Although, this week has been brutally cold. It was 5 degrees yesterday morning at 5 am with negative wind chills. I kept telling myself that it was warm in the gym.
2014-01-08 5:44 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ

The scale annoys me so much that I don't even look at it anymore for the most part! If you're putting in the time and energy then muscle weighs more plain and simple! I use my clothes as my gauge and try to only weigh myself once a month to give enough time to see any substantial gains or loses.

Good job putting in the time and effort, keep it up and stay positive!

Same here!

2014-01-08 8:51 PM
in reply to: #4926955

User image

I am an every day in the morning scale person too. Down = happy, up = motivation to stay on track.

Got into the pool for the first time this morning...now on the treadmill as I type. No worries though, since I am starting from ground zero, I am only walking now according to my training schedule. Lol.

I am very encouraged by my pool membership. The guard on duty for the morning lap swim times is a trainer/coach and offered tons of help in critiquing my form. Offered use of fins and drills which I fully intend to take her up on. :-) told her I needed to get goggles and a cap before we could get too serious, ha!

Happy hump day and may your workouts seem easy but hugely beneficial!

~June
2014-01-09 8:27 AM
in reply to: plargomar

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

I hate when my training gets screwed up.  Started on a 20 mile trainer ride, and about 6 miles in I could no longer be on my sit bones.  I have had this happen on rare occasions in my past, but can usually work past it.  Last night was not one of those nights.  ARRGGGGHHHHHHHH!HH!!!  Oh well, today is a new day and I hope to get some trainer time in after I attempt to sell a new event (Shamrock Shuffle 5k) to our city that I already have mostly organized.

2014-01-09 10:00 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
After this morning I am going to start counting cals for sure Today. I have loseit which works well and works with fitbit nicely. If BT had a way we could program directly to it I would make a program to connect bt to fitbit since if I remember fitbit has that.

Yesterday I had the must stop feeling kinda light headed and was shaking followed by a bit of a Binge eating to make myself feel less shaky.

In my companies snack area we had nothing that was ok for a snack. So I went about 6 hours on breakfest. Also thinking about buying some PR bars as a mid morning/ pre work out snack. I get about 2000 cals for the day so if I have 2 250 cal snacks and 3 500 cal means I will be golden. Also not going to up the speed like I did I am in heart range but I think ultimately it did more harm than good.
2014-01-09 3:35 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Just got back from an interview at a new company and oh man what a gym setup they have in house that all employees have FREE 24/7 access to! In addition they have a partnership with Yale University (where I work now) for free access to public lap swims at the pool, which is more than being an actual Yale employee gets you. So fingers crossed it would be awesome to have a gym in my office I could use at lunch time!
2014-01-09 10:56 PM
in reply to: #4927325

Good luck with the job prospect Diablo! I hope it all works out. That would be pretty sweet having a nice gym on-site. I think I would have a hard time justifying skipping the gym if it was just downstairs. Keep us posted.

Finally feeling pretty good. Going to try And get a swim in tomorrow as my first workout in almost 2 weeks. Going to have to learn to like the treadmill next week because it is snowing and is expected to keep on snowing for a while.

2014-01-10 10:06 AM

User image

that was me! Thank you!
2014-01-10 10:16 AM
in reply to: DBGlobal

User image

I was glad to see all the comments on scales this morning. Woke up soooo frustrated. I have worked out everyday this week....hard...... kept my eating around 1200 cal per day and I gained three pounds since Sunday. ARGGGGGGHHHHHH

Going to go with giving it another week to see if my body is just really annoyed I'm working it so hard before I throw in any changes.

I will say I'm approaching this whole thing very differently than I would in the past. I'm sticking with the bike and the pool for awhile and not aggravating my knees. Every time I introduce running or long walking my knees hurt and I just want to quit. I'm going to try and get down 20 pounds then re-introduce it.

That being said....my goal for today is to do a practice run of my May Triatholon.... 1/3 mile swim, 10 mile bike and 3.2 mile walk. It may not be fast but I'm thinking the rush of saying I can complete the course is going to rock! I did the swim and bike parts on Wednesday and I was okay, so I'm going for the whole thing. (2 hours of exercise cant hurt either ... lol)

Wish me luck!!!!
2014-01-10 10:42 AM
in reply to: lhannon

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
WOOT!!!! Good luck, man you are ambitious for a Friday, and a gloomy one at that

I was thinking about the couch, warm blanket, good movie and some exercise visualization!!! You know a solid mental workout thinking about exercise lol
2014-01-10 11:20 AM

User image

lol.....

the pool I use is pretty warm so I'm going to spend my time there visualizing a warm Caribbean island somewhere.

or maybe I'll visualize that comfy couch cause when I'm done that probably all I'll be good for!
2014-01-10 12:19 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Scale was my best friend today. Got to love those 2.5 down swings. Actually I felt good and did 5.5 miles on the trendmill yesterday. One nice thing about a min 10k goal it sometimes will force you back out and if you feeling good why not continue on?

I had 2k cals deficient so atleast .5 of those lbs are real.

Other good news is not only am I starting of dreaming about doing a marathon this year but May marathons are starting to see possible maybe. Time will tell.

2014-01-10 12:37 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by lhannon

I will say I'm approaching this whole thing very differently than I would in the past. I'm sticking with the bike and the pool for awhile and not aggravating my knees. Every time I introduce running or long walking my knees hurt and I just want to quit. I'm going to try and get down 20 pounds then re-introduce it.

I do wonder how tight your it band is. 90% of my knee pain comes from tight IT band.

For bigger or beginners if they want to be better runners I always recommend swimming and biking. Biking works well with bike training. I know a sports doc who mentioned during a marathon injury seminar that they had a patient who did all there training for the marathon on a bike and even PRed.
2014-01-10 1:14 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by chirunner134

After this morning I am going to start counting cals for sure Today. I have loseit which works well and works with fitbit nicely. If BT had a way we could program directly to it I would make a program to connect bt to fitbit since if I remember fitbit has that.

Yesterday I had the must stop feeling kinda light headed and was shaking followed by a bit of a Binge eating to make myself feel less shaky.

In my companies snack area we had nothing that was ok for a snack. So I went about 6 hours on breakfest. Also thinking about buying some PR bars as a mid morning/ pre work out snack. I get about 2000 cals for the day so if I have 2 250 cal snacks and 3 500 cal means I will be golden. Also not going to up the speed like I did I am in heart range but I think ultimately it did more harm than good.

I also wish BT had links to fitbit or myfitnesspal. I hate that I have to log directly to BT besides whatever fitness app I'm using!

I pack snacks everyday, or leave a box of granola/protein bars in my desk. My company pulled the healthy machine from the lunch room, now there are no good choices for a snack, grrrrr...
2014-01-10 1:15 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ

Just got back from an interview at a new company and oh man what a gym setup they have in house that all employees have FREE 24/7 access to! In addition they have a partnership with Yale University (where I work now) for free access to public lap swims at the pool, which is more than being an actual Yale employee gets you. So fingers crossed it would be awesome to have a gym in my office I could use at lunch time!

I want a job there!
2014-01-10 1:16 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by lhannon

I was glad to see all the comments on scales this morning. Woke up soooo frustrated. I have worked out everyday this week....hard...... kept my eating around 1200 cal per day and I gained three pounds since Sunday. ARGGGGGGHHHHHH

Going to go with giving it another week to see if my body is just really annoyed I'm working it so hard before I throw in any changes.

That being said....my goal for today is to do a practice run of my May Triatholon.... 1/3 mile swim, 10 mile bike and 3.2 mile walk. It may not be fast but I'm thinking the rush of saying I can complete the course is going to rock! I did the swim and bike parts on Wednesday and I was okay, so I'm going for the whole thing. (2 hours of exercise cant hurt either ... lol)

Wish me luck!!!!

Good luck! Just remeber slow is the new fast! We all cross the same finish line!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 27607 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 99231 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16210 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29731 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?