of 11

2006-12-30 10:41 PM
in reply to: #637366

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: enginerd's Group - FULL
gailg - 2006-12-30 2:07 PM
As for bricks, I would suggest waiting till you are easily covering each distance alone, although I think Donato may disagree about that. But, one of my coaches recommended to me something that would be useful for you, too -- after every single bike ride, park the bike safely and run for 10 minutes (with no more than 5 minutes between bike and run). He swears that if you do this for a month, you'll never have the jelly-leg feeling at the start of the run in a triathlon and you'll be able to start the run on pace. I plan to do it myself when I am able to run again.

I wouldn't disagree at all actually. You're right - as a beginner, covering the distance first comfortable by itself makes sense. First race should really be about finishing. Bricks are a bit more of an intermediate skill. I guess I was thinking ahead already for Jason!

That being said, running after biking in training definitely helps you be quicker or at least feel stronger off the bike when racing. Hope your recovery goes quickly and you can run again soon. I'm having some foot problems right now and I'm chomping at the bit to go running.

2006-12-31 7:42 AM
in reply to: #637592

User image

Master
San Francisco
enginerd - 2006-12-30 8:41 PM

gailg - 2006-12-30 2:07 PM
As for bricks, I would suggest waiting till you are easily covering each distance alone, although I think Donato may disagree about that. But, one of my coaches recommended to me something that would be useful for you, too -- after every single bike ride, park the bike safely and run for 10 minutes (with no more than 5 minutes between bike and run). He swears that if you do this for a month, you'll never have the jelly-leg feeling at the start of the run in a triathlon and you'll be able to start the run on pace. I plan to do it myself when I am able to run again.

I wouldn't disagree at all actually. You're right - as a beginner, covering the distance first comfortable by itself makes sense. First race should really be about finishing. Bricks are a bit more of an intermediate skill. I guess I was thinking ahead already for Jason!

That being said, running after biking in training definitely helps you be quicker or at least feel stronger off the bike when racing. Hope your recovery goes quickly and you can run again soon. I'm having some foot problems right now and I'm chomping at the bit to go running.

Now I remember why I suggested bricks for you Jason - you're a strong biker and can already run the 5k distance. You can likely finish the bike and run portions of your sprint already. Bricks will make it that much more comfortable. Again, running followed by running is a different kind of workout. Given that your weakest discipline is the swim, though, you'll definitely want to focus on that.

Two other thoughts for you - one, don't feel you have to use a road or tri bike (if you want to use one, that's another story). It's really up to you. There are plenty of people who use mountain bikes, esp. on their first tri. If you do use your mountain bike, I'd strongly recommend putting road slick tires on. You might want to use your mountain bike for your first tri if you're not sure you're going to get into tris or road biking in the long run; in this way, you can basically avoid the expense of a whole new bike (plus shoes, acessories, etc.). Depending on what your plans are, you also might not want a tri bike right off the bat because it is less versatile than a road bike for group rides, climbing, etc. than a road bike. Again, it depends on your plans, etc.

Two, saw in your blog you have a cold and were questioning whether or not you should work out. The conventional wisdom is if it's above the neck, you're okay and if it's below the neck (i.e. respiratory), you're better off to rest.
2006-12-31 8:07 AM
in reply to: #625451

User image

Master
San Francisco
Gail: Was looking at your blog. Did you really have 90mph winds? Crazy. We'll all be thinking about you on Tuesday.

Jeff: I see you're a Peets addict too. My wife always have a bag of Peets beans in the house so we have Peets 7 days a week. My office is moving to Emeryville where Peets is headquartered. I think I might just have to contact my counterpart over there to share product, uh, I mean best practices.

Richard: It didn't quite sink in with me that your first is in three weeks! How's the swimming coming along? At least you're doing an indoor event so you won't have to worry about the OWS. This will get your feet wet (so to speak...) for your next tri in April. Be sure to share with the others what you learn! You seem pretty darn fast on the run. Do you have a good training plan for your mary in April?

Jon: Stick with what you're doing with your swimming. It'll pay off. Mixing 14 80lb. bags of cement sounds like a big workout to me!

Edited by enginerd 2006-12-31 8:40 AM
2006-12-31 7:07 PM

User image

Hey, Jason -- re bricks:

I followed (some of) a 10-week training plan before the Pumpkinman race at Lake Mead (sprint distance), created by our tri club coaches. It had 3 bricks, in Week 3, Week 6, and Week 7. This plan was very customized to the course (hilly bike, lake swim. late summer race), somewhat customized to me (stronger swimmer, weaker runner, had done several sprints already this year), and focused on heart rate zones, but at least the number of brick workouts we had, and the spacing, might be helpful if you customize your plan. Whatever you choose, remember it's about having fun!
Gail
2007-01-02 1:01 AM
in reply to: #637693

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Richard: It didn't quite sink in with me that your first is in three weeks! How's the swimming coming along? At least you're doing an indoor event so you won't have to worry about the OWS. This will get your feet wet (so to speak...) for your next tri in April. Be sure to share with the others what you learn! You seem pretty darn fast on the run. Do you have a good training plan for your mary in April?

QUOTE]

happy new year everybody. I hope everyone survived their new years eve parties and the bowl game!!

The swimming is coming along decently. Im about to start up again tomorrow now that the gym is reopening from the holidays. Im doing a plan that progresses in six weeks from 100yd repeats to a mile. I am hoping to finish that so I have confidence/endurance in the pool before I go back to drills and shorter repeats. Im a bit nervous though about this triathlon in January since currently I dont think I can swim 500 yards and its only a couple weeks away. But like everyone says its just for fun and Im not concerned about the time.

Thanks for the compliment about being a decent runner. For the Oklahoma City Memorial marathon in April I combined a couple different plans (Higdon, Pfitzer and the runners world online). One of my biggest concerns was incorporating enough rest/xc days to prevent overuse injuries. So Im going to only run 4 times a week and progress to 40-45 miles by February/March. Also to mentally prepare I hope to run two 20 milers and possibly a 22 miler before the taper. , Im going to also try and incorporate more tempo runs at my threshold to change up the monotony of running. Hopefully the plan will be successful and stay injury free.

Edited by rjl171 2007-01-02 1:03 AM
2007-01-02 1:05 AM

User image

Expert

Happy New Year everyone! I hope everyone had a good one.

Welcome to the group Jason. I don't have as much experience out here as others but will chime in when I can! Congratulations on putting down the smokes and coming out here!

Donato, the Peet's is so good. I don't have it everyday, actually maybe once a week.....it's a treat. My wife is off the coffee right now so I don't really drink it at home anymore.....just at work.

So when is everybody officially back in the groove??? I'm thinking Wednesday is it for me!

2007-01-02 12:28 PM
in reply to: #637684

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Donato, I am still training on my mountain bike and i think I've decided to go buy a bike trailer/jogging stroller for my son before I buy a road bike.  The main reason I want a road bike is that I'm a bike geek and I finally have a reason to buy into the road bike scene.  As far as tri-bike vs. road-bike, I am definitely looking more at road bikes.  I just don't want to be so focussed on road bikes that I end up passing up on an incredible deal on a tri-bike.

As for training with a cold, thanks for the info.  If it's above the neck I can keep training (but if my sinuses are bothering me, stay away from the swim.  thanks Gail).  If it's below the neck rest and heal up, got it.  Luckily though, I'm feeling much better now.

As for the bricks, I think I will start trying to work in 1 every 2 weeks  starting next week.  Like everything else I'm doing for this, that may change when I learn more though.

Jeff, thanks for the welcome.

Everybody, thanks for the comments on my blog.  Hopefully later today I'll have time to return the favors.

Happy new year!

Edited by scmikasa 2007-01-02 12:30 PM
2007-01-02 4:03 PM

User image

Hey, everyone, just wanted to say I am already home from surgery and walking around! Not fast, but hey, it's a start. I wore my Kaiser Permanente LA Triathlon shirt, so it was good luck and everyone at Kaiser was very helpful! I have little to do other than web surf (thank heavens for wireless and my 3 computers, one in each major room), so I'll probably continue to offer advice from my bedside. Happy training, and happy thoughts,
Gail
2007-01-02 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Hey everyone. I'm updating my blog to allow so hopefully it works, let me know if it's still not visible.

Edit: Donato, forgot to ask if you've got more info on the Garmin. I need to start using mine and I'm stuck programing my max HR.

Edited by ginac007 2007-01-02 4:16 PM
2007-01-03 8:25 AM
in reply to: #639820

User image

Master
San Francisco
ginac007 - 2007-01-02 2:12 PM

Hey everyone. I'm updating my blog to allow so hopefully it works, let me know if it's still not visible.

Edit: Donato, forgot to ask if you've got more info on the Garmin. I need to start using mine and I'm stuck programing my max HR.

Hi Gina. Good to see ya blogging (it's visible. I just started blogging too!). Sorry to see you have a head cold - hard to start your HIM training that way. Hope you get over it soon. I see you have a Cannondale bike too. I have an R800 (older model than yours) and I love it.

Re: Garmin, it's in the settings section and you have to set it by sport. HR zones is the last option in each sport (it's off the screen so you have to scroll past pace zones). Then you can set your max heart rate and have it set zones or you can customize each zone I believe.
2007-01-03 8:27 AM
in reply to: #639804

User image

Master
San Francisco
gailg - 2007-01-02 2:03 PM

Hey, everyone, just wanted to say I am already home from surgery and walking around! Not fast, but hey, it's a start. I wore my Kaiser Permanente LA Triathlon shirt, so it was good luck and everyone at Kaiser was very helpful! I have little to do other than web surf (thank heavens for wireless and my 3 computers, one in each major room), so I'll probably continue to offer advice from my bedside. Happy training, and happy thoughts,
Gail

Hi Gail. Glad to hear you're able to walk around and you're on the mend. Hey, you have access to BT and then web - you should be good for a little bit. A good chance to recover and catch up on e-mail and some reading/research on the web.

2007-01-03 8:41 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Richard: Keep working on the swimming. Doing your indoor tri swim won't be too different from your workouts and you'll learn a lot about the whole tri thing (transitions, what it feels like to run after biking, etc.). Yes, staying injury free for the run is the key (of course, i'm typing this and I'm recovering from what I think was ultimately a self-inflicted foot injury) as well as getting in your long run. I did my last marathon (California International Marathon December) mostly on only 3 running days a week since I was still training for tris up to November (I did get in long runs of 21 and 23 miles). So, it can definitely be done without having to run every day and if you're cross training, that'll help.

Jeff: I "kicked off" over the long weekend. Got in two longish (at least longish for me at this point) bike rides and an OWS in the bay (52 degrees - BRRR!). Enjoy your Peets! I'm a pretty big coffee geek. I asked my wife for a burr grinder at home for christmas, which she gave me. We bought some Kona at Peets to try it out. Expensive and not worth it, although it was very smooth; I just like something with more flavor.

Jon: Hey, with the jogger stroller, you have a built in increase in weight/resistance as time goes on. Yes, having a road bike definitely let's you indulge your inner gear geek. Plenty of fun gear to buy. It's a lot of fun shopping for workout and tri stuff. There are probably plenty of post-season deals to be had.

Edited by enginerd 2007-01-03 8:45 AM
2007-01-03 11:32 AM

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
Subject: Running question
Richard,

I have a running question for you. I watched a DVD on running technique a while back and one of the main things they talked about was the turnover-rate. By taking shorter strides and increase the turnover-rate they claim you will run more efficient. From a pure physics standpoint this makes sense to me. They said that a “good” turnover-rate is about 180 per minute. Obviously this will vary some dependent on how fast you run. I have been trying to work on my technique ever since I saw this DVD and I have a tough time increasing my turnover-rate. Do you work on your turnover-rate?

In peace,
Jon
2007-01-03 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Richard, I also have a question.  Do you like the Felt F75?  That's one of the bikes I'm looking at.

Donato, the post season deals ARE great right now.  That's part of the reason it's so hard to deny my inner geek.

Gail, best of luck with your recovery.

Oh yeah, I just registered for my triathlon so it's official now.  It'll be interesting to see what happens with this job though, with my luck they'll want me to start the week before the race.

2007-01-03 3:31 PM

User image

Expert

Looks like it's question day, let me jump in!

I believe a couple of you use HRM, is that correct? Well I recently got one and even more recently figured out my LT. A few weeks back I attempted to do a 4 mile zone 2 run on the treadmill and found out it was almost impossible for me to first get my HR up to that level and then to sustain it. My zone 2 (outside) is 154-163. For the four mile run on the treadmill I averaged 147 and maxed at 158 and that was for 33 minutes. Today I ran 4.5 miles and I haven't downloaded all the data yet, but I believe I averaged about 130 for 41 minutes.

My question is do any of you have this same issue? If so have you done an LT test on the treadmill? Do you think I can derive that number from the run I did a few weeks ago. The reason I think that I might be able to, is that I was working very hard for the whole 33 minutes and thought that it might have mirrored what I would have done if I had done the LT test.

Any thoughts or comments?

2007-01-03 3:53 PM
in reply to: #640622

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Subject: RE: Running question
Thats a great question, that I do not have a great answer for but will take a stab at (so please if anyone knows more please correct me). First let me start by saying that I do not intentionally work on my turnover rate but maybe subconsciously I do. Weekly I have runs that I intentionally run quick (i.e. tempo runs) and others that I run slow/fast to improve recovery and improve speed.

What you say makes a lot of sense except I think it should be a longer stride + faster turnover=more efficient/faster time. One thought that might help improve stride/turnover/speed would be to include strides into one of your runs weekly. By strides I mean increasing your speed dramatically for 100yds or so before returning to your normal pace. Its important not too increase too fast where you are to tired to continue the run or sore the next day but I think these bursts of speed may help improve your running economy. I would repeat these strides 5-10 during the course of your run and see if you notice any difference by the end of the month. Just a thought.

BTW on my run today I looked at my step count. I use a pedometer to track my distances but in another setting it counts steps. Anyway for my 7 mile tempo run today I took 8,872 steps in 51:25min which averages out to 172 steps a minute.

2007-01-03 4:09 PM
in reply to: #640656

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Jason

I do really like the F-75. I bought mine in early August while I was working out in Los Angeles for a summer internship. I got a great deal on mine for $1200 out the door and 15% off accessories. Unfortunately since then I have ridden only 700 miles and probably will not start riding significantly more until after my marathon in April. I rode 70+ miles this fall and had no problems with comfort or shifting. My only complaint is that I do not go fast enough!!! Maybe I need to work on the engine
Initially I was going to buy the F80 but after test riding/talking with the LBS they convinced me to upgrade to the F75. I am not sophisticated enough to know the difference in components but they told me that the F75 components/upgrades more than made up for the extra $300.

Check this review out.
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/feltF75.shtml

What other road bikes are you looking at?

Richard
2007-01-03 4:21 PM

User image

My training today has consisted of walking unassisted around my house, including down the stairs. Assuming this isn't some fluke (I am not presently on any pain killers), I will probably ditch the crutches hereafter. I still haven't seen the incisions (they are LONG but currently bandaged), and I am not allowed to shower for 4 days...but I am doing surprisingly well.

While I am off, I am inviting y'all to participate in my Injured Colleague Challenge. Each week, I will offer one drill of some sort that you should work into one of your training days, in my honour. This week, of course it is a swim drill:

Pick a distance that you find comfortable but a bit challenging to repeat. Pick a target time you want to achieve. Then swim it 4x, with the first one being the slowest, and increasing your speed through the interval so that the last one is at your target time. Rest 15 seconds between each. So, for example, I might set a target swim of 100 yards at 1:25. I'd do the first 100 coming in closer to 1:50, then the next at 1:45, then 1:35, then 1:25. You can set any distance (25 yards, 200 yards, whatever), and any target time that you think you might be able to hit, but aren't sure (no fair making it too easy!). The goals are to learn to know your pace and to get faster each one (never train your body to go slower when you are tired, my run coach says). Be sure to mark your effort in your logs so I can see "my" workout for the week!

Good luck, and have fun --
Gail
2007-01-03 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
I like it!!!
2007-01-03 4:37 PM

User image

Expert
That would apparently mean that I need to get in the water. What a foreign concept after basically skipping last month.......oh boy.
2007-01-03 4:43 PM
in reply to: #641198

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
Great idea! I will switch my bike-run brick to a swim-run.

In peace,
Jon

2007-01-03 11:33 PM
in reply to: #641246

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
elheffe99 - 2007-01-03 2:37 PM

That would apparently mean that I need to get in the water. What a foreign concept after basically skipping last month.......oh boy.

That makes me laugh because it has been soooo cold here I haven't gotten in the pool either! Now I really want to and I still can't breath out my nose. I keep checking in and reading what you all are up too and thats keeping the motivation fire going- so when my head cold goes, at least manageable I will be out there too.

THanks for the well wishes you all.
2007-01-04 9:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Richard - I'm glad to see you like your bike and that review is one of the main reasons I've been leaning towards the F75.  As far as other bikes, I've actually been looking more at brands and keeping an eye on what the best deals are in different price ranges since I do not yet know how much money (if any) I will be spending.  I really like the Felt line.  If I could convince my wife I'd buy an F4C on ebay right now for $1400.  It's a great bike and the MSRP was $2399!

Gail - I feel like I really need to concentrate on just swimming further, both in between rest breaks and in total.  What do you think?  Should I keep going like I am or try your swim drill?  Also, should I flip turn in the pool?  I kind of feel like it's cheating since I'm swimming in a 25 meter pool and just pushing off covers a decent percentage of that.

Gina - I hope you feel better soon!

All - When I run on a treadmill I start out with 5 minutes warmup, 3mph walk.  I also do a 5 minute cooldown after the run.  Should I include the time and distance of these walk portions in my running log?  For instance yesterday I spent 30 minutes on the treadmill covering 2 miles (yeah, even the run portion was slow) 1.5 miles jogging in 20 minutes and 1/4 mile in the five minute warmup and 1/4 mile in the five minute cooldown.  Should I log 1.5 miles for 20 minutes or 2 miles for 30 minutes?

Sorry if that was confusing but thanks in advance for the help.

Jason

2007-01-04 2:24 PM

User image

Expert

How do groupo!

So no takers on my HR question??

Gail - I actually got in the pool and swam today. There was a small awards ceremony after. It was nice. I didn't actually do the drill you "prescribed" but you did motivate me to put my goggles on, which was great. Two questions:

1) Do any of you wear ear plugs? Benefits? Any recommendations?

2) Flip turns - to do or not to do? I can do flip turns, but it completely takes me out of my rhythm. It also messes with my breathing. I feel it makes me work harder and makes me concentrate more on the turn rather than the stroke. I can see the benefit of using them to help you regulate your breathing, but is it worth it to work through that to then get back to your stroke? Am I making any sense?

Thanks for shopping.

Edited by elheffe99 2007-01-04 2:25 PM
2007-01-04 2:26 PM
in reply to: #641991

User image

Expert
scmikasa - 2007-01-04 7:41 AM

Richard - I'm glad to see you like your bike and that review is one of the main reasons I've been leaning towards the F75.  As far as other bikes, I've actually been looking more at brands and keeping an eye on what the best deals are in different price ranges since I do not yet know how much money (if any) I will be spending.  I really like the Felt line.  If I could convince my wife I'd buy an F4C on ebay right now for $1400.  It's a great bike and the MSRP was $2399!

Gail - I feel like I really need to concentrate on just swimming further, both in between rest breaks and in total.  What do you think?  Should I keep going like I am or try your swim drill?  Also, should I flip turn in the pool?  I kind of feel like it's cheating since I'm swimming in a 25 meter pool and just pushing off covers a decent percentage of that.

Gina - I hope you feel better soon!

All - When I run on a treadmill I start out with 5 minutes warmup, 3mph walk.  I also do a 5 minute cooldown after the run.  Should I include the time and distance of these walk portions in my running log?  For instance yesterday I spent 30 minutes on the treadmill covering 2 miles (yeah, even the run portion was slow) 1.5 miles jogging in 20 minutes and 1/4 mile in the five minute warmup and 1/4 mile in the five minute cooldown.  Should I log 1.5 miles for 20 minutes or 2 miles for 30 minutes?

Sorry if that was confusing but thanks in advance for the help.

Jason

Jason - I log everything. For my swim today I logged the overall time in the pool including rests between sets. But that's just me.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11