BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-01-13 9:19 PM
in reply to: #640246

Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but you can still sneak in...
QDo you have to buy a bike? Don't have a mountain bike in the garage somewhere? Or a friend willing to let you borrow theirs? Try not to spend money until after you do your first race. However, you will need a helmet.

AI was planning on buying a bike. I’ve been too long without one. I’ve got a great trail to ride on less than a mile from my house. It was on the to do list anyway.

QI don't know what a swim shirt is. Do you mean a tri-top? Or a t-shirt? Either are probably fine. Be prepared for chilly water temperatures, even in June.

AWhat I considered a swim shirt is a rashguard. It looked like it would be relatively comfortable to swim in and would keep me warm. I’ve never paid too much attention to the temp of the water so if the majority of people would be comfortable in that water I think I would. I just really hate the idea of cold water.

QIs this venue near your house? Can you do the course in training? That would make you feel much more confident on the race morning.

ANot quite close enough for me to make it a daily trip. I might be able to sneak up there once or twice before the race.

To everyone, I will not be able to take up my share of the slack this week. I have to work every Sat, Sun, and Mon for twelve hour shifts unless I give 30 days notice. I don’t have a bike that I can ride until midnight and the YMCA is closed well before I get off of work. If someone will pick me up this week I’ll try to pick up your slack next time. Sorry.

Jimbo the Great

2007-01-14 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Hey Everyone! You can add my 20 miles today. I did them with the kids awake and earning points for letting mom do her thing, but they still bugged me with "I'm hungry", "I want a bath", "The water's not hot enough", "Noah's bothering me", "When do we get to go to the Y today?", "Micah's tearing up my box", and even an "I love you, Mom" from my littlest one, Mose. I also did them on highest gear, so no one is allowed to ask how long it took me, and my legs are gonna be SORE! But, I'm working on strength and endurance first. Speed can come later. I, personally, think my miles should count double--whadda ya'll think?

Plus, I bought a cadence thingy for the rear wheel, only to discover that either it didn't come with one of the parts, or my darlings lost it while it sat on the kitchen table for all of 10 minutes. No one is fessing up. So, I installed the front wheel computer on my rear wheel. However, the cord isn't long enough, so I had to put the computer low on the stem where I can't see it until I get off the bike. I did discover that one can put a pedometer on the BACK of your biking shorts and exactly 100 "steps" on the bike equals one mile.

I went to the Y yesterday and did weight training with their new Cybex equipment and discovered that I really need to do more pushups. The fitness girl said I had really good arm definition, though. Maybe she was just being nice to the crazy lady with three kids that wants to do tri's? Hey, I'll take any and all compliments I can get these days! Then, I tried to swim and did do 10 laps, but found I was really tired and had to rest A LOT. This is gonna take some time! I'm going to do some private swim lessons--I need them!

I'll set up a physical next week--promise. I did get a heart monitor, but haven't used it yet, cause I'm pretty sure I'm working harder than I should, but I'm on a roll and don't want to slow down yet.

The kids "earned" a lunch out after the Y trip yesterday and I ordered the chicken stir fry and only ate two bites of the hot fudge lava cake with icecream, whipped cream and a cherry. Come on, praise, please! Then we went to Kmart to get their one toy each for being good, and I bought a (relatively) cheap treadmill that requires wire cutters and a second person to set up. I think I'll borrow someone's husband, cause I'm pretty proud of the computer on the rear wheel deal, but after dragging the treadmill into the house and getting it out of the box, my head was just not up to the task of cryptic instructions. It's just too &*(% cold for me to run outside right now! And I am serious about at least a half marathon, maybe in June now.

I promised the kids another trip to the Y today. Maybe just the swimming today.

Okay, everyone, let's see your miles!
2007-01-14 2:18 PM
in reply to: #653958

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-14 8:52 AM

Hey Everyone! You can add my 20 miles today.

Add my 50, so that's 70 so far!
2007-01-14 2:22 PM

User image

Minneapolis
i did my 10, what is our miliage so far?
race repsort later after nap, but I will say I did it in 120 and some change, since last week I drop 10 min. BGT
2007-01-14 4:56 PM
in reply to: #654120

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
BigGirlTri-ing - 2007-01-14 3:22 PM

i did my 10, what is our miliage so far?

That's 80!
2007-01-14 7:21 PM

User image

Minneapolis
did my race log with photo's
Also I am adding this group to me log page so I can insprire you and you can insprire me. BGT

2007-01-14 7:36 PM

I've got 15 to add to our 80 which brings us to 95! Getting closer!
2007-01-14 7:58 PM

User image

Oh, I feel guilty now. Can we subsititute ski miles for bike miles today? I did a 7mile ski run a few times today, so how about we make that 10 miles of bike riding? I actually heard about a gym I could go to but after those top to bottom runs, I was wiped out. My quads are burning still! Well, I will start my serious logging this week, and promise to meet any other challenge you put forth.
2007-01-14 10:20 PM
in reply to: #654361

User image

Add my 20 . so that brings us to 114
2007-01-14 10:25 PM
in reply to: #654483

User image

2007-01-15 5:04 AM

Trial gym membership after working 12 hours=20 miles. Sorry guys, that's all I could muster. 11 hours of walking on the hard floor and one hour of chest compressions means I was one whipped puppy. OK, now I'm going to work.

135 miles

Jimbo the Great

2007-01-15 6:47 PM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
I am very proud of 135! Not bad for a first challenge. Anyone else imagine the rest of the team riding while they were?

I have a tough Mon, Tue, and Wed, but (fingers crossed) my Thurs should be a better day. Jimbo, I'll follow up on some of your questions.

BGT -- I'd love more info about your race. How'd you like it? Are we going to get some details? And are you going to do another tri?

I do apologize for the very brief appearance today. Goal for the week: just move your body. On Saturday, I'll post a new challenge for next week. (I'm thinking it might involve all 3 sports.) Who knows, I might even figure out a way to declare a winner who can choose the next one!

Okay, team -- get to work!

Edited by prof40 2007-01-15 6:49 PM
2007-01-16 12:27 AM

I want to join your group. About to do my first tri in March in Pasadena, CA at the Rose Bowl.
I'll write more later...I'm 41, married 6 years and have 2 1/2 year old. I'm also a PE teacher here in CA. Just wanted some suggestions about getting a bike. I'll be using my mtn. bike for this 1st one.

2007-01-16 6:41 AM

User image

Expert
Hey guys! I found another resource for us! I have a lunch date this Thursday with this seriously hunky guy who does triathlons, marathons and ironmans. Everyone wish me luck!

For Jmtrevo--he said there's an ironman in Brazil in May that you can still sign up for through February. Most ironman's fill up a full year ahead of time, but not the foreign ones. This guy (Patrick) only started doing tri's three years ago. If you want the agent that signs people up and does the package, let me know.

Jeng--we meet in Madison at a place called the Great Dane around 3 on Thursday, so if you have time, it would be cool to meet you in person. You might have classes then, so no pressure!

BGT--way to go with your indoor tri! How did you feel afterward? Are you still on a high from it?

Jimbo--I can really appreciate your efforts Sunday after working all day, then going out of your way to get on a bike. Well done!

Prof--How long did it take you to work up to 50 miles on the bike? I'm more into endurance than speed, but don't want to do too much too soon and hurt my body. I don't tend to feel the ache until a day or two later when I can hardly walk and reach for the Ibuprofin (we chiro's really frown on taking much pain medicine--we try to teach people not to abuse themselves enough to need it). I've pretty much decided on doing a half marathon June 16--Grandma's in Duluth, which is about an hour away from my Mom's. My outdoor tri is June 10--is that pushing things too much, or does that make sense? What do you think about going for a full marathon in the fall--maybe the Chicago marathon? I think maybe Paavo is too hilly for a first attempt--maybe next year! Give me another assignment, while I'm still super motivated, here, please
2007-01-16 1:03 PM

hello everyone!
sorry i haven't had much to say lately. i'm still on my winter break and haven't been around much to have a chance to write. i have to say, i'm quite disappointed in myself. i've been trying to run a lot to build my endurance. unfortunately, i must have done something to my leg. i had the same problem this summer. i'm not going to lie, i'm pretty pissed. it doesn't hurt so much when i'm running as it does afterwards. it does affect the way i'm running and i probably look like an idiot. so besides sounding like a hypochondriac, i'm very frustrated. so the next few days, i'm not running. ughhh.

it is nice to see everyone doing so much! (prof- 50 miles... holy crap!)

hope everyone has a wonderful day!

phoenix- do you go every thurs? those might be tough days to make it there, but i'll see what i can do.

2007-01-16 6:08 PM
in reply to: #656526

User image

Jeng,

Sounds like it could be Ilio-tibial band syndrome. Where is the pain? Obviously you should go see an ortho or sport medicine person but ITB is a very common ailment with runners....stretching helps a lot. Definitley stay off for now and do get it checked out by an EXPERIENCED sports medicine/ortho person. A primary care physician may not get it right....good luck with that and don't get discouraged. Thats what is great about the tri....we have three sports! If/when you are ready to resume running start SUPER slow.

Phoenix,

Thanks for the reference on the Brazil ironman. I will hold out for that one although I have always wanted to go to Rio! Next year though I may be up for it.

Hey I think a couple of people are doing it but I want everyong to start logging your workouts....that way we can encourage and/or guilt each other more!

2007-01-16 7:50 PM

jmtrevejo- thanks for the advice.... the pain is between my shin and my calf. it feels like it is right along/under the bone. and you're right- thank goodness for the other two events i can be working on! but i have to be honest, i broke down and ran just a little bit.... don't tell!
2007-01-16 8:54 PM

User image

Minneapolis
how was my first tri, well I am going to make you work this site. under your traning log, there is button to change your settings, HIT IT! You will be able to ADD me as a friend (on the right hand side) Once you do, I will pop up at the bottom of your blog page, click me and you can go see all my training stuff including the race report on the 1/14/07 date. Sassy answer I know, but I am sassy lady.

The quick note, it was great! I would do alot to improve my 1st transition from wet to dry but I will have a chance in April when I do it agian; but I will move from mini to rookie distances. All the training paid off; I did a full run on 1/7 and timed myself at 1:30 ish, so over a week with no training at all I lost 10 mintues, the clapping really pushes you foward. I am hooked! Gonna sign up for local outdoor tri (6/30) which I have already found out I can transfer if I get pregnant.

Prof- you asked us to get a physical, I see the docotor next week; I will check in about my overall health and traning while prgenant stuff.

personal goal of the week: log 10 miles in running- anyone got a short term personal goal they want put out there?, prof is not the only one who challange us!
ps once you add me you can also inspire me, which I love and need.
BGT
2007-01-16 9:37 PM

User image

Minneapolis
okay I just did it, signed up for 4/29 indoor and the 6/30 outdoor.
Hey I got new shoes last week but ran in them for thr first time today, what a differance it makes can not wait to gt outdoors with them! No time soon (ooh wait I am doing the frigid 5 on SUNDAY) The temp here in MN is finally winterlike, -5 air, which feels like -20 on skin. The best part about winter is that it ends!
BGT
2007-01-16 10:56 PM

User image

i did 20kms not sure what that is in your crazy imperial milage! sorry no response been flat out like a lizard drinking

2007-01-17 6:52 AM

Congrats to BGT and thanks for the forum lesson. I'll be putting it to good use soon. Gotta go to work now.

2007-01-17 9:24 AM

User image

Minneapolis
knocked two more miles off the 10 mile goal, with my 5k on Sunday all I ahve left is 3.1 miles. I think I will do 1.50 Thursday, teach water and swim laps (8) on Friday and run 1.50 on Saturday. I need to say my plan "out loud" and be held accountable by this group or else I will change in the middle. What I lack is not desite but accountbility. Anyway have a great day. BGT
2007-01-17 7:23 PM

User image

Congrats to BGT - the first one is always the hardest and it only gets better from here. And, dont forget "the person who has the most fun wins"- a favorite Danskin inspiration. Speaking of Danskin, for those females in the forum, this is a really fun sprint tri race to do. I think there is one in Wisconsin for you midwesterners. These races sell out fast so you have to sign up usually in March- the website is http://store.danskin.com/triathlon.html. They also happen to have some tri clothing onsale right now btw.

Ok, I have finally started to log my workouts so I appreciate JMtrevo for pushing us to do it- its amazing how its only been 2 days and I already have thought " I better do some sort of workout today so if anyone looks at my log they wont think Im slacking". I put my bike trainer together and plan to try it out tomorrow. I had my first run outside today after our "big" snow storm in Seattle- i was going crazy not running outside- and i have to give all of you in wintery climates credit for dealing with it a lot longer than I have to. I dont know how you do it!
2007-01-17 8:43 PM
in reply to: #658634

User image

Subject: name change
Hi All I changed my userID to jose1228 because I thought it would be easier. Plus I added my inspiration from nature as my pic......a wombat!

Alright lets keep logging......I am definitely feeling like I need to run more to catch up with y'all but its hard when it is 5F with wind chill......and I hate treadmills......spin bike I can take but for some reason I don't like the treadmill.

It does look like more people need to get wet...... so lets get in the pool. I know it sucks at first but let me tell you once you start getting the hang of it you will love it...use the fins at first to help then you can wean off of them as you get more streamlined. The articles in BT have some great swim tips as well. I recommend the catch-up drill, swim kicks on your side drill and the closed fist drill these all help your form but they are hard at first.

Biggirl
you are an inspiration to us all......already with a tri under your belt for the '07 season...we better get busy to catch up with you!
2007-01-17 8:44 PM
in reply to: #658699

User image

Subject: RE: name change
By the way I used to be jmtrevejo......shoulda mentioned that sorry
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72