Veteran
Subject: RE: Matchman's Group - FULL!
Has anyone heard from MATCHMAN?

2007-02-08 3:00 PM
in reply to: #658479

User image

Regular
Not the best news in the snow bound UK at the moment. Been feeling tired which is unusual for me and have discovered I’ve had some silly virus or other for a couple of weeks. The good news is that I’m getting stronger but need to go easy on the training, hence I’ve not trained since Monday (boo hiss - I’m sulking) and no beer for a few days either!

I’ll have a steady run on Saturday, snow permitting and see how it feels, aaaaaghhhhhh hate being lazy!

Have a crazy day as opposed to my lazy one! x
2007-02-08 11:14 PM
in reply to: #681228

User image

New user

Melbourne, Australia

gonnatrione - 2007-02-07 5:02 AM Hey Aaron, What's the weather like down in your part of the hemisphere that you're running outside? Today it's 16 degress with 15-20 mph winds. It's going to be a trainer or treadmill evening. Oh, and if it's sunny and warm, send some our way! Jon

Well, you turn your back for a minute and look what happens!....This will take me hours to catch up, that'll teach me for not paying attention.

The weather is pretty good here at the moment - mid 20's (that's celcius) consistently so it's perfect for outdoor activity.  We're just rolling off the back of our summer and heading into the colder months but even so, it doesn't snow here or get cold enough to.  We are also in a drought at the moment so it doesn't even bloody rain!

I'll swap ya, sunshine for rain....

Edited by aharnden 2007-02-08 11:30 PM
2007-02-08 11:40 PM
in reply to: #681287

User image

New user

Melbourne, Australia

gonnatrione - 2007-02-07 5:32 AM Time to crank out some questions and get to know each other a little better. Please don't feel obligated to answer the questions, I'm just trying to get some more dialogue started. What type of bike(s) do you ride? What's your longest bike ride? What's your longest run?

What type of bike(s) do you ride? Cheap MTB I got as a present from my sister one Christmas many moons ago, so as you can imagine she's no speed machine.

What's your longest bike ride? 12 km a few weeks ago

What's your longest run? 6 km a few weeks ago

mmm....now does that make anybody feel better about themselves?

2007-02-09 12:48 AM
in reply to: #681502

User image

New user

Melbourne, Australia

danielleaw - 2007-02-07 7:07 AM I have a few questions ide like to add so that I can get to know everyone: Name: City, State: Why Triathlons?: Favorite Workout: Favorite Healthy Meal: No obligations! Happy training!

Name: Aaron Harnden

City, State: Australia, Victoria, Bacchus Marsh (country town on the outskirts of Melbourne, pop. 15000)

Why Triathlons?: I was fortunate that a good friend of mine had the same new years resolution - to get fit.  He suggested we that we should do something when we reached our goal.  A former work mate of mine was into triathlons so I suggested it.  I nearly had a coronary arrest when I discovered how long an OLY tri is - but I'm sticking with it.  Now that I'm training with the triathlon in mind it's motivated me 10 fold.  I really enjoy the fact I have to work on swimming, running, and cycling and doubt I'll get bored with it anytime soon.  I also like the fact that the skies the limit, when I do the OLY tri at the end of the year, I might aim for a HIM the year after or god forbid an IM the year after that..but let's not get ahead of ourselves 

Favorite Workout: Swimming - except for when the pool is packed then it quickly becomes my worst. I'm also liking the new strength program I've been doing and the changes it's making.

Favorite Healthy Meal: mmm...Healthy meals are a new thing to me...I love a good fruit salad, is that a meal?

It didn't take me that long to catch up after all.  Happy training crew, I've got a cold or something and need to have a few days rest.

Cheers,

Aaron.

Edited by aharnden 2007-02-09 5:48 AM
2007-02-11 4:55 AM

User image

Regular
Hey we've all gone quiet!

Morning campers greetings from the UK!

Decided to get back to it today following my illness with a quick burst on the treadmill and swim. Felt a little rusty but great to be training again!

Right time to zip out for a latte and a bun, anyone care to join me, I’ll see if I can spot Matchman whilst I’m there!

Have a crazy day folks!

2007-02-12 4:00 PM
in reply to: #681502

User image

Extreme Veteran
danielleaw - 2007-02-06 1:07 PM

I have a few questions ide like to add so that I can get to know everyone:

Name:
City, State:
Why Triathlons?:
Favorite Workout:
Favorite Healthy Meal:

No obligations!

I don't think you ever answered your own question. We want to get to know you as well if you don't mind.
2007-02-12 4:08 PM
in reply to: #686669

User image

Veteran
It looks like everyone's off to a good start for February, especially given the crappy weather most of us are having!

I'm trying to focus on Spring being right around the corner, and then it'll be outdoor training all the time.

Danielle, when's the trip to Italy? Hope everything turned out well for you Sunday evening. It appears nothing (bad ankle, crashed computer) is stopping you from training. Way to go!

Aaron, good luck on the Melbourne Summer Cycle 40k fundraiser..... we'll be watching and looking forward to your race report. Maybe you'll have some pictures to post.

I've been watching Stephen's logs, and he's been training like a machine. I'm jealous of all that good weather.

Neil, how's the weather on the other side of "the pond"?

Pete, how's everything going out on the west coast?

Tom, hope everything is going well up north and work is allowing you time to train for this weekends Tri-U-Mah Indoor Triathlon.

Jon
2007-02-12 4:14 PM
in reply to: #686669

User image

Veteran
njcavill65 - 2007-02-11 4:55 AM

Hey we've all gone quiet!

Hear any good jokes lately? This usually get's it started.
2007-02-13 4:23 AM
in reply to: #688485

User image

New user

Melbourne, Australia

gonnatrione - 2007-02-13 9:08 AM Aaron, good luck on the Melbourne Summer Cycle 40k fundraiser..... we'll be watching and looking forward to your race report. Maybe you'll have some pictures to post.  Jon

Cheers mate, I hope the old girls got 40km's in her....it might be touch and go....lol.  A work mate offered me the use of his old racer until I get some "more appropriate" wheels, so I might take him up on the offer. 

Do you think I'll need to get some bicycle shorts or will I get away with them?

I'll go for a decent ride first thing Saturday morning...I'll need to do it first thing, it's forecast to be over 38deg over the weekend (that's 100deg F for you american folk) so the sun will fry me like a prawn cracker.

I'm heading down to watch one of the rounds of the state triathlon series on Sunday.  I want to see what it's like at the starts and hang around the transition area and maybe pick up a few tricks from some of the competitors.

Have a good week training guys and gals, go out and kick your own ******!

Cheers,

Aaron.

2007-02-13 4:33 AM
in reply to: #688494

User image

New user

Melbourne, Australia

gonnatrione - 2007-02-13 9:14 AM
njcavill65 - 2007-02-11 4:55 AM Hey we've all gone quiet!
Hear any good jokes lately? This usually get's it started.

My 12 year old nephew told me this joke while I was helping him with his maths last week, I happened to be taking a sip of my drink at the time and some nearly came back out of my nose - I apologise in advance.

Did you hear the some mathematicians found a way to solve the problem of constipation?

They worked it out with a pencil.

2007-02-13 4:57 AM
in reply to: #688911

User image

New user

Melbourne, Australia
Subject: METS

I did a fitness test on one of the exercise bikes at the gym today and it said I had a maximum aerobic capacity of 12.4 METS.  Has anybody done a test like this before?  I really like to find a chart that shows average, poor, good ranges for certain age groups.  If anybody finds one while surfing away could you send me a link?

Thanks,

Aaron.

2007-02-13 5:45 AM
in reply to: #688911

User image

Veteran
Aaron,

This link should have the METS info you're looking for: http://www.wellsource.com/360/pdf/walktest.pdf

Jon
2007-02-13 10:20 AM

User image

Hey Jon! Thanks... yea, my computer crashed, and I had a two-day event on Sunday-Monday (I am the assistant director of admission at a college in boston and 41 students and their families came for a formal dinner/evening, and then the students stayed overngiht)... when my computer crashed friday morning, i lost everything... thankfully i had two days to try to recreate it all... thank goodness it all went well I was stressed to the max, though!

And to answer my own questions...
Name: Danielle
City, State: Boston, MA
Why Triathlons?: I was an athlete through college (basketball), and missed the competitive edge on fitness and exercise (i lost 20 lbs this summer, and also wanted to find a fun way to keep myself slimmer)... someone suggested tri's...
Favorite Workout: long runs
Favorite Healthy Meal: 1 cup milk, 1/8 cup oats, 1 tsp flaxseed oil, 1 tbsp flaxseeds, some honey crunch wheat germ, and a sprinkle of cinnamon... followed by a banana.. yum!

Tahnks all!
Danielle

PS- Italy in 22 days!
2007-02-13 1:40 PM
in reply to: #684030

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

gonnatrione - 2007-02-08 11:42 AM

Has anyone heard from MATCHMAN?

Matchman himself has hardly heard from Matchman.  Sorry, kids.  Its been a cRaZy couple of weeks.  I've been either working or in rehearsals for the world premiere of an opera setting of Grapes of Wrath.  Its been really fun and rewarding but my workouts have definitely been suffering.  Since we opened on Saturday, things are a little better and work has slowed a bit.
Looks like all of you are doing a great job and keeping at your workouts.  Love the question and answer thread we've got going.  You've all probably seen my "why tri" so here's some of the rest plus a couple of new ones:

Bike: '05 Quintana Roo Kilo.  I've not even come close to being worthy of my steed but I'm workin' on it.  What I find crazy is that this is an "entry level" tri bike and still cost me $1300.

Longest Bike: 45 miles give or take?

Favorite workout: A nice long run on an overcast/misty day with temps about 50F.  Warm enough for shorts but cool enough for a long sleeve tee and a stocking cap for my bald head.

Longest Run: 14 miles

Longest Swim: I think I did 3300 yards in a workout last summer.  Felt mighty good even though I don't like the pool much.

Favorite Healthy meal: Ahi tuna, just barely seared on the outside and a whole pile of steamed broccoli, maybe a sweet potato for a little carb action. 

Favorite pre-race/big workout meal: Steel Cut Oatmeal (aka Irish Oatmeal) with a little butter and brown sugar and a big cup of coffee.  Real Oatmeal is literally one of the best pre-race meals ever.  

As for the weather here in Minneapolis, its sucked for the past two weeks.  We're talking wicked cold weather.  The weekend before last we didn't get above 0F for DAYS.  Fortunately, I'll be outside biking and running in about a month if the weather gods cooperate.  

Now to Ms. Danielle, go to Italy and enjoy yourself.  You won't lose any fitness or gain any weight. Even if you did, who cares?!?!  Its a freakin' week in Italy!

Finally, I believe Stephen's marathon is this Sunday, the 18th.  Best of luck to you!  That makes two of us racing on Sunday.  What are the rest of you going to do to keep up?  

Cheers, all!

Tom 

2007-02-13 3:02 PM

User image

Regular
Weather here is cold and wet but hey ho can’t do much about it!

I run a series of local races in the ‘summer’ first one in March bbrrrrrrrr, called the Champagne League which range from 3 to 10 miles, every other Tuesday. First major race is Doncaster Half Marathon in March and then a lot of 10ks and a few half marathons over the summer.

My first ever triathlon in the history of my life is on 27/05/07, see link below…BRING IT ON!

http://www.pacesetterevents.com/woodhall-spa-sprint.php

Have a crazy day peeps! x

2007-02-13 8:39 PM

New user
hey guys, I got sick towards the end of last week AND my family was visiting, so I got a little lax on the workouts.

But hopefully today I got back on track, will start posting more and try shaking these February doldrums
2007-02-14 8:21 AM

User image

Happy Valentine's Day everyone...

We got hit with a Noreaster last night/this morning... I thought for sure the college would be closed, and I would be able to do a workout during the day, so I let myself sleep in... well, lo and behold, the school IS open, so im at work, kicking myself for not doing a workout!

Have a great day everyone!!!!!
Matchman... good to see you are back!
2007-02-14 10:56 AM

User image

Regular
Happy Valentine’s Day peeps, still waiting for the lorry load of cards to arrive, think it must have been hijacked!

Celebrated with a 5 mile wee run around the river and marina this morning where I live, first outdoor run for a while, felt wonderful, time to push on again I think.

So tell me peeps are you celebrating this evening, or are we all too focussed on training?!

Have a crazy valentines day peeps x
2007-02-14 11:01 AM

New user
I had a decent run, ROUGH swim this morning. It definitely feels good to be working out again though.

As for Valentine's Day, I am taking the future Mrs to the Melting Pot for dinner.
2007-02-14 11:48 AM

User image

Haha, I'm flyin' solo this Valentine's day...
I may have a date with my running shoes

2007-02-14 12:21 PM
in reply to: #690406

User image

Extreme Veteran
PJOinSM - 2007-02-14 10:01 AM

As for Valentine's Day, I am taking the future Mrs to the Melting Pot for dinner.

Good choice! I took my wife there one anniversary dinner. Hope you have lotsa $$$$

My wife is still getting over a nasty flu and has a dentist appt today to deal with serious pain that is probably a root canal in the waiting. Sooo, we'll probably just call for pizza so neither of us need to cook. Since I have the marathon on Sunday, we might do Olive Garden for a Saturday afternoon carbo-loading/V-day meal.
2007-02-17 9:22 AM

User image

Regular
Hmm it's gone oh so quiet shhhhhhhhhh!

Have a crazy weekend peeps x
2007-02-17 5:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Tom & Stephen,

Good Luck to both of you tomorrow!

Wish we could all be there to cheer you on in person. Since we won't, we'll be cheering for the two of you "long distance".

There probably won't be to many, if any, runners with cheering sections in Australia, UK, Massachusetts, Minnesota, California, Arizona and Virginia.

Jon
2007-02-17 9:50 PM
in reply to: #694099

User image

Extreme Veteran
gonnatrione - 2007-02-17 4:41 PM

Tom & Stephen,

Good Luck to both of you tomorrow!

Wish we could all be there to cheer you on in person. Since we won't, we'll be cheering for the two of you "long distance".

There probably won't be to many, if any, runners with cheering sections in Australia, UK, Massachusetts, Minnesota, California, Arizona and Virginia.

Jon

Thanks. I like having folks pulling for me from all over the place. I am about ready to get to bed as I will be up at 3:30 am to get there on time.

Tom, have a great race. Where/what are you racing?

The rest of you have great training!

Stephen
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matchman's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 8