BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2007-02-09 9:54 AM
in reply to: #684991

User image

Subject: RE: triOK's Group - FULL

kbkav - 2007-02-09 8:55 AM is the winner based on total number of hours planned or actual or some percentage or what? meaning, is it better to set high goals and not attain them, or reasonable ones that you are sure to accomplish?

This will be a contest based on the RATIO of actual time to planned time.  So if I plan to do 10 hours next week and I only do 8, my score will be 0.8.  The purpose of this challenge is to get you motivated to train and to help you learn how to manage your training time.

Only pledge what you can handle.... no more, no less.  Challenge yourself to meet a goal and stick with it.  That's the idea behind this.

It doesn't matter how much you pledge, just make it a number that will challenge you but not completely unattainable.

2007-02-09 10:10 AM
in reply to: #668669

User image

detroit
thanks for the clarity.

have a great weekend, everyone!
2007-02-10 7:15 AM
in reply to: #685116

User image

Expert
Hey everybody. I was messing around with the ROUTES feature on here. It is pretty cool once you figure it out. Does anyone know if we can somehow just click on a route that we have created to enter into our daily training log??

For the challenge, five hours for me next week...

Kirk
2007-02-10 1:04 PM
in reply to: #686145

User image

gator22 - 2007-02-10 7:15 AM Does anyone know if we can somehow just click on a route that we have created to enter into our daily training log??  Kirk

That's the idea!  All you have to do is "create a new route" in your training log.  Give it a name and save it.  When you run that route again, you just go back into your log, select your route and it automatically puts in the distance for you.  All you do is add the time.

2007-02-11 11:11 AM
in reply to: #686307

User image

West Des Moines
I'm going to shoot for 8 hours this week. The week starts Monday eh??
2007-02-11 12:51 PM

User image

detroit
7 hours for me this week.

2007-02-11 1:07 PM

User image

Regular
5.5 hours of aerobic activity & 2 hours of weightlifting = 7.5 hours (hopefully)
2007-02-11 1:07 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, TX
After trying for a while, I realized that I couldn't edit the planned training section without being a paid member. Since I'm not shooting for that anytime soon, I'll just post here.

Total training hours goal is 8 hours

Shooting for 2x of each sports and 2x weight training. Not necessarily 1 hour for each exercise.
2007-02-11 4:23 PM

User image

10.75 hours for me!

Yeah, it starts Monday!

2007-02-11 8:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia

7.5 hours for me.

On a completely different note, I have another question.  What's the best way to practice T1?  It seems like it would be a good idea to practice it wet, since that's how you'll be in the race.  Also, the guy that owns our local running shop told me it's a good idea to practice it with your heartrate up, because that's how it will be during a race and it's harder to get your shoes on and do everything when your heart is racing.  Is there a good method for practicing T1?  Thanks!

-Erik

2007-02-11 9:30 PM

User image

Expert
I was soo hoping Sunday would count. I have a big trial this week and I am sure that the judge will be lookingat me funny when I smell like a pool!!!! Oh well, I need to get back to lifting anyway. I am not so busy that I have to "sculpt my guns at the office" - RON BURGUNDY

2007-02-11 11:31 PM
in reply to: #687231

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, TX
gator22 - 2007-02-11 9:30 PM

I was soo hoping Sunday would count. I have a big trial this week and I am sure that the judge will be lookingat me funny when I smell like a pool!!!! Oh well, I need to get back to lifting anyway. I am not so busy that I have to "sculpt my guns at the office" - RON BURGUNDY

"Ohh, it's a deep burn! Oh, it's so deep! Oh, I can barely lift my right arm 'cause I did so many. I don't know if you heard me counting. I did over a thousand."
2007-02-12 1:54 AM

User image

Regular
Jack Butler: Honey if you call and I'm not home I'll be at the gym or the gun club.
2007-02-12 6:26 AM

User image

New user

Manhattan
I'm shooting for 5.5 hours this week of cardio and weight training.
2007-02-12 7:14 AM

User image

Expert
I am glad that you are all down with my nonsense!! Aaron, sorry for the stiff this morning. I am going to the East side Y right now. Thing one and thing two wiped me out this weekend and six a.m. wasn't my friend.
2007-02-12 7:29 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
4 hours of training for me this week (two on bike, two lifting). I was starting to think that I'm not doing enough after seeing everyone else's times. But then again, I'm only in my 3rd week, so there's no point in killing myself - yet!

2007-02-12 7:55 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
triOK - Nice Tinkerbell!
2007-02-12 8:40 AM

User image

gator,

Maybe I just didn't see it, but can you post your planned training time here.  But only if you want to do the challenge...

2007-02-12 10:28 AM
in reply to: #687532

User image

Expert
Five hours..It was mixed in with the jokes..Sorry!
2007-02-12 11:01 AM

User image

West Des Moines
Subject: Bicycle question??
So, I need to buy a bicycle and I don't know what to get. I've heard that Trek bicycles are pretty good but I really have no knowledge of any of this. I was wondering if any of you have any advice to lend on a good purchase for a road bike. Obviously I know that the more money I spend the better quality I will recieve, however I am a poor college student and don't currently have a lot of money to toss around. I could probably go as high as 500$ Would of course like to pay less if I can still get a decent ride. Anyway, does anyone know if I can get a good bike for under 500..... what kind of bike that would be??

I really am a rookie, the last bike I bought was 200$ and I bought it out of a sky Mall. It weighed like 40 pounds, but I could fold it in half and fit it in the trunk of my car.... yeah, weird and it was kind of crappy.

Any help would be awesome.

Matt
2007-02-12 11:19 AM
in reply to: #687842

User image

Subject: RE: Bicycle question??

No Mercy - 2007-02-12 11:01 AM So, I need to buy a bicycle and I don't know what to get. I've heard that Trek bicycles are pretty good but I really have no knowledge of any of this. I was wondering if any of you have any advice to lend on a good purchase for a road bike. Obviously I know that the more money I spend the better quality I will recieve, however I am a poor college student and don't currently have a lot of money to toss around. I could probably go as high as 500$ Would of course like to pay less if I can still get a decent ride. Anyway, does anyone know if I can get a good bike for under 500..... what kind of bike that would be?? I really am a rookie, the last bike I bought was 200$ and I bought it out of a sky Mall. It weighed like 40 pounds, but I could fold it in half and fit it in the trunk of my car.... yeah, weird and it was kind of crappy. Any help would be awesome. Matt

Hey Matt,

Buying a bike is a very personal thing.  You just have to figure out what works best for you.  The most important thing about buying a bike is making sure that it fits properly.  Go to your local bike stores (LBS) and find out what they recommend.  Each store will probably sell a different brand (it is not likely that you will find a place that sells Scott, Giant, Trek, etc. in the same place) so you need to hit as many stores as you can.  At that price point, the components you get are going to be relatively close to the same thing (if not exactly the same thing).  As for the brand of bike you choose, each will feel different.  You need to find the fit that works best for you.

I would highly recommend buying a bike from last year's model, a 2006 or even a 2005.  A lot of times, its the EXACT same bike with a different paint job.

I ride a Giant and I love it.  But it might not be right for you... just go out and see what is.  I know Giant makes a OCR 1, 2, and 3; each a slight upgrade from the next.  Very good starting level models.  Trek, Scott, Bianchi, Le Monde, Fuji  etc. all make equivalent models that are worth looking into.

I would not buy off of ebay, unless you know exactly what you want and what you are buying.

If it helps, RED bikes are faster!

2007-02-12 12:53 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, TX
the purchase of the first bike is always a little iffy. I bought my first serious bike right out of HS and it wasn't easy. I was buying a mountain bike in the hope that I would be getting into the sport. Considering it cost me 700, it was no small investment (especially for a HS/College Student). Since then(4.5 years ago), I've also bought a road bike that I spent 1600 on.

Early on, you don't know for sure and it's had to part with high dollar numbers. I know it's hard, but I would suggest pushing your budget if you can. A larger investment now might mean smaller costs down the road.

Secondly, deals, deals, deals! You might be a little bit late, but I'm sure you can still find some of last years bike for sale for cheap. Where you live makes a big difference on this. I live in Oklahoma and bike stores are few and far between. However, in Colorado they are everywhere and you aren't as hard pressed to find deals. REI might still have some of their clearance bikes around, but it's probably past their season. As in everything, to get a good deal here it will take time, patience, and a lot of searching.

Third, just as triOK said, fit is huge. A great deal becomes a horrible deal very quickly if it doesn't fit you. It's only a good deal if it's a good deal for you. I suggest being fit by the bike shop you are looking in.
2007-02-12 2:43 PM

User image

West Des Moines
Thanks guys, There are a few bike shops in the Des Moines area so I will take the tour. Bike World had a clearance sale over the weekend, I guess they had some good deals on last years models... the sucky thing is that I forgot about it until just right now. Oh well, I'm sure I could probably talk one down a bit anyway.
2007-02-12 10:33 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: Blisters
Well, I kind of saw this coming, and now their here. After a pretty decent run today, I got my first blister. I figure it's going to keep on happening. My question now is, how do I work through that in running? I know I'm going to get more and I don't want it to hinder or stop my run training. However, I don't expect it to effect the bike or swim that much.

Zach

Edited by poke4christ 2007-02-12 10:34 PM
2007-02-13 5:31 AM

User image

Fredericksburg, VA
sorry i didn't post this yesterday. i am planning on 5 hours of training this week.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 19