Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2007-02-08 12:56 PM
in reply to: #669310

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: leapdog's group - FULL

Did my second swim of the week. Felt pretty good. Not offical weigh in day but down to 202.

Ordered me some new rims and tires for my bike. I told myself I can't use them until I get down to 190 as a reward.

2007-02-08 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
From the "Warmskin Products page"

Contains a rich blend of botanicals and humecannts including:
-Aloe
-Balm Mint
-Matricaria
-and Mistletoe

1. Do they realize that Mistletoe is poisonous?

2. Can you use it instead of a wetsuit on a cold water swim? I'm thinking lake water in Germany in September *might* be cold enough to need a wet suit, but I really don't know.

3. If Yes to #2, does this stuff clog your pores? Because if it sends me back to my teenage years, I'd rather shiver.

Edited by grnidone 2007-02-08 1:01 PM
2007-02-08 3:39 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
What kind of wheels did you get?? - just bought myself some zero lites - sweet rides - rode them in December - before the first cold snap - weight and stiffness makes a big difference - can't wait to try them in a race - way more responsive then the wheels that came with the bike. Been upgrading all my parts - going to Ultegra crank -next.

M
2007-02-08 5:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

I figured that I could not spend more on rims than I did on my bike. Have a beginner bike with Sora componets. I purchased a set of Vuelta StarLite AL with Michelin Pro Race II. I figured that these will be good enough til I upgrade my bike then they can become my training rims. Hoping for now just to get a smoother ride and maybe a little faster than my stock rims.

http://www.vueltausa.com/products/road-wheelsets/starlite-al.htm

2007-02-08 6:10 PM
in reply to: #684536

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Nice Wheels- You'll see a big difference in performance - My bike has lower end components too - I'm researching my next ride - the debate is between Tri and Road - may just upgrade my road bike and use it as a Tri bike - then get a new road bike with the stuff I want. Not sure what way to go yet - Roadies all say go road - tri geeks all say go Tri. Let me know when you get ready to upgrade - I can hook you up with some good pricing - depending on what you want.

Going to try some bike racing this summer - we'll see if I like it!!

My biggest issue is frames size - I'm an extra small 44 X 48 - riding a specialized now...looking at Specialized Ruby, Orbea Diva, Felt

Going to take my time and do some road tests - whatever I get will be special order - don't want to make any mistakes with big $$$.

M
2007-02-08 6:48 PM
in reply to: #684560

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Hey michlmead.  What part of Cleveland are you from. I grew up in Lorain County and know the area. Still have family in the area. Wife grew up in Parma and she still has family in the area. We get up quite often. Just curious. We can get some training rides in sometime.

2007-02-08 7:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
M--

Try a Terry bicycle. Made by women for women, they specialize in smaller frames. My Symmetry bicycle has a top tube that is so short they put a smaller wheel on the front. But you know what? My shoulders don't hurt...ever.

Georgina Terry -- who is 5'2" -- was sick of never finding bicycles that fit, so she took her retirement check and built her own company and used her engineering degree to redesign bikes from scratch.

These aren't sissy bikes either. She puts good components on them. I'll never ride another.

http://www.terrybicycles.com/

Sadly, they have one of the worst designed web sites I've ever seen. Here is the road page:
http://www.terrybicycles.com/cycling_savvy/sport.html

Their top of the line: http://www.terrybicycles.com/cycling_savvy/purchase.html?i=3020

The bike I have: http://www.terrybicycles.com/cycling_savvy/symmetry.html

Their REALLY top of the line: http://www.terrybicycles.com/cycling_savvy/fastwoman.html

YOu can get a bike shipped to your bike store for a test ride...

Edited by grnidone 2007-02-08 7:15 PM
2007-02-08 8:51 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Patrick: Small world - grew up in Parma 2 - Normandy High class 81, Live in Berea - on the Metropark off Bagley (Bagley & Barrett Rd.) I live 500 feet from the park entrance - works great for bricks - set up the transitions in garage - close the door run trails in the park!

Heather: Thanks for the info will check out the Terry's I'm 5' 1" - sooo just a touch smaller then the founder!

Roger and I are planning on doing some road trips to Mansfield too - I'll keep you in the loop! Would love to get some riding in!

M
2007-02-08 10:23 PM
in reply to: #684695

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

Know exactly where you are. I have biked in the metro park plenty of time. My brother has a pedal chair when he  lived near their and would meet him in the park. Great ride up to the lake. You are not far from where my brother and I ride now. Wellington is where we grew up and he moved back. Country roads are boring though. Straight and windy.

If you are looking for a little different tri. http://www.ncnracing.com/calendar/ Look at the Aug 5th race or Sept.8th race.  The run is a 3 mile trail run. Pretty tough trail.

Edited by PGilger 2007-02-08 10:29 PM
2007-02-09 5:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
What is the temperature of water where you need to wear a wetsuit for the swim:?
2007-02-09 6:24 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Heather:

It's depends on the race RD and if it is a USAT sanctioned event rules state less then 78 degrees is wetsuit legal - Age group can wear a suit @ their own choice from 78-84 degrees - but are not eligible for awards and prizes if you wear a wet suit. If the water is over 84 no wet suits allowed. I always hope for cooler water the wet suits do help with float. I have raced with and without best to get in good shape - don't rely on a wet suit!

Edited by michlmead 2007-02-09 6:25 PM

2007-02-09 6:56 PM
in reply to: #685878

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
I don't have a wet suit. Thinking about getting one. Last year the water at a race was mid 70's. Little chilly at first but you get use to it. The cold is the last thing you are thinking about in an ows at least for me. More worried about breathing without hyperventilating.
2007-02-09 7:07 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Wet Suits are a big advantage... plus they keep you warm in the cold lake waters. For me they are like swimming with a pull Bouy - they keep me more level - been really working on that in the pool relaxing and trying to go faster - with co-ordinated breathing. It's a process... think it's getting better - we'll have to see come race day!!

2007-02-09 9:43 PM
in reply to: #685906

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
I've heard somebody else talk about a pull Bouy. What is this?
2007-02-09 9:56 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.swimoutlet.com/Pull_Buoys_s/330.htm?gclid=CKv78JvyoooCFR...

They come in a several models - you put them between your legs -no kicking- they keep you level in the water. They are great for practicing your pull in the water - Most clubs -have them... you may have to ask the guard on duty for one! They really help you to feel the water and gain balance of correct body position. I bought my own and use it to feel the correct position -then I'll swim hard 50- 100 then - do 50 with bouy. It helps with muscle memory too. They are not expensive - I would invest in one again - I also bought my own fins - for the same reasons.

Patrick: these aids will also help with the breathing - if you relax more your breathing will get easier too.

M

Edited by michlmead 2007-02-09 9:58 PM
2007-02-09 9:58 PM
in reply to: #686015

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

That's what those are called. I've seen them now I know what they are called. Thanks

Running in the cold tomorrow. I might venture out and try it if I can find somewhere that has pavement. Suppose to be in the 20's tomorrow. Heat wave.

Edited by PGilger 2007-02-09 9:59 PM

2007-02-12 5:55 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
ok, The fearless leader is off... riding a mobile in the snow... What have you all been doing???
Workouts going well??
Had a long bike weekend - base building for race season
Just got back from some easy swimming - Pool water was cool 78 -perfect for laps
Anyone??

2007-02-12 6:26 PM
in reply to: #688600

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
off day for me today. Will try and get to the gym tomorrow but the snow and lack of sleep because of the snow might make it hard for me.
2007-02-12 6:34 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Just sooo you know I HATE that avatar!!! LOL - I was supposed to have the day off too... but the pool called - actually one of my swim buds emailed and said the pool was cool for a change - it's usually like swimming in jello - cause it's sooo warm - the good news is all the seniors were out - they like it hot!! Just did drills still tired from the weekend and did horrible with food today - did not eat until after 1:00 -I get goofy if I don't eat all the time.

M

Rain, Snow, Hail, Dark of night will not keep us from... working out or delivering mail
2007-02-12 6:52 PM
in reply to: #688642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
You didn't mention lack of sleep.
2007-02-12 7:21 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Lack of sleep goes without saying - that's no reason not to workout or deliver mail - you've obviously never talked to your mail person - they're always sleep deprived

Eat, Drink (replacement fluid), Be Merry and Workout!!!LOL

2007-02-13 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
What non-swimming activities will help with the swim?

Do I need to do weights? OR do I need more aerobic type workouts?
2007-02-13 5:08 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
The swim guru's say the only thing that helps with swimming is swimming. I do weights - they vary depending on what training cycle I'm in - just reduced them to 1X per week with my first race coming up on Sat. Had been doing them 2 x per week. I also do a lot of core - sit ups w/ fitness ball and regular floor. I don't do any other cardio - other then cycling and running - don't need one more thing to do - plus I always try to stay injury free and keep a good base.

Just my 2 cents!

M
2007-02-17 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Several questions:

1. Swim Paddles

I saw something like this at the sporting goods store. (It wasn't this paddle, the one I saw was smaller.)

The part that caught my eye was the "helps stroke technique and mechanics". Would you recommend something like this for a beginner like me? I really want to have an efficient stroke, because I want to kick on the swim. (That's the part of the race that concerns me the most.)

Would something like this help me, or is it all bunk?

2. And, is using a nose pincher thing ok to use? I get water in my nose when I turn to breathe in. My instructor says "Use it if you need to, but you need to wean yourself off it."

Why do I need to wean myself off it?

3. What's the best way to get back into training after you are sick?

I had a fever this week and was so tired I could barely make it to the bathroom and the couch because I was so drained. I'm coming back, but I don't want to make myself sick again.

Edited by grnidone 2007-02-17 8:35 AM
2007-02-17 12:42 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Group!!

Really excited did first race of the season this AM!! Chili Bowl 5K Westlake, Ohio - not great conditions, cold of course 22, snowing and slippery!! (no excuses!!)

Took 2nd Overall Women - 20:04 - About 650 runners - great turnout for the weather!

I'll take it - wanted to break 20 - not there in snow course had some hairpin turns made it tough!!

Heather - I will check into the paddle thing for you - have never used them - don't know - anyone else??? Nose clips come off too easy during a race - one more thing you don't want to worry about - get used to not using it.

M
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » leapdog's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9