Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2007-05-17 9:18 PM
in reply to: #805617

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Subject: RE: David Gillen's Group - FULL

Miler - 2007-05-17 5:13 PM So what do I want to know with my heart rate through a training session. I guess I should start now, because not knowing my zones and such sounds like I might be out of the loop in this group.

Knowing your HR during a workout is important so you can gauge your intensity.  In other words, so that you don't go too hard or too easy for what your trying to accomplish.   I'll get more into the details of this soon.  In fact, this weekend I'll try to write up a little article about heart rate training with some good links to a lot more information about it.   

Until then, Matt, I'd just make sure you know how to use the basic features of your S150 and maybe find out if you can set your zones on it.  Zones are simply ranges of heart rate values.  Zone 1 is the easiest and might be something like 125-140.  Zone 2 is the aerobic zone and is the most important, but I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Also, Matt, if I were you I'd run, not walk, to your favorite bookstore and buy a copy of "Going Long" by Joe Friel and Gordon Byrn.  It's specifically designed for IM training.  It was my bible last year, and much I've what I've learn and will be sharing with you will be from this book.

David 

2007-05-17 9:28 PM
in reply to: #805708

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

kp41 - 2007-05-17 6:59 PM I need suggestions for nourishment during my tri this Saturday. During training I only drink water on the bike and nothing during my swims or training runs. Know that I will be putting it all together I am not sure what to have on the bike to keep me going during the run. Nothing to drastic as I do not want to end up feeling sick after the bike or during the run. Will Gatorade do ? or will I need anything else. Tri distances are .5 mile swim, 24 mile bike, 5 mile run. Thanks I am looking forward to learning alot from all the members here, glad to meet you all.

You'll definitely want to take in some calories on the bike.  Ken's suggestion of uncrustables and honey is good one that I've heard from many people.  I've used something similar: a peanut butter and honey "bend-over", which is just one slice of bread bended over.  I find I can digest it pretty easy.  

You could also try some gels.  These are very popular, provide about 100 calories, and are generally easy to digest if you chase them with a couple good gulps of water.  

For you next race, we'll practice this nutrition and find out what works best for you as this is a very critical component to events lasting over 2 hours.  But for now, I'd shoot for about 300 - 400 calories on your 24 mile bike.  You might want to avoid taking any gels or solid food in the last 15-20 minutes on the bike however in order to give your stomach adequate time to digest before the run.  

On the run, prefer Gatorade to water, but I'd avoid solid food for a 5 miler.

Let me know if you have more questions.

2007-05-17 9:40 PM
in reply to: #805746

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-05-17 7:41 PM RE: OWS Notes to Self: 1. USE inhaler first! (Asthmatic here, the COLD triggers an attack!) 2. Look back at beach to see which one to return to! (Got out there and decided I couldn't breathe properly due to cold induced asthma and so headed back--except I went to the wrong shore entirely and so ended up doing the whole yardage or so anyway.....) 3. When the nice lady in the kayak asks if you want her to go back with you, don't be a Miss I Can Do It Myself! Let her help you back in!! 4. Ditch the freaking goggles that leak and fog up and get ones that you can actually SEE in so you know where the heck you are going!!! 5. Bring extra dry clothes for all three kids as they are KIDS and WILL get their pants legs totally and completely wet playing on the shore even if you repeatedly tell them not to!! 6. Don't promise children Walmart after the swim, as you will be WET! And it's just a bit risky to strip from waist down in the parking lot at said store to take off wet tri shorts and put on dry jeans, even if you got away with it this time! Thank God I had a nice warm dry pullover fleece to hide the wet tri top!!! 7. PRACTICE THIS A LOT, AS YOU PRETTY MUCH SUCKED AT IT!!!!! (But it was fun anyway and I noticed I sort of swaggered through Walmart feeling rather like an almost sort of TRIATHLETE CHICK

OK, we definitely know who the comedian of the group is!!  This post was so funny I had to show my wife.  Not we're laughing at you, but with you.  She's scared of OW swims, so she feels your pain.

Seriously though, thanks for sharing Pene.  The first is always the worst.  My wife was in complete tears after her first OWS.  It'll get better quick.  You'll know what to expect next time, and you're already learning.   So that's great.  Do try to find a good pair of googles that fit your eye sockets well.  It took me about 4 pairs before I found one that worked for me.

Loved your last line, and you should feel like a TRIATHLETE!  You are one!  OWS is tough and a lot of strong athletes don't dare step in water "they can't see the bottom of"  But you're not one of those athletes, you're a triathlete.  You should hold your head high.  Congratulations.

2007-05-18 2:10 AM
in reply to: #801094

User image

Somerset, England
Many congrats Pene on your OWS. Way braver than I at present as an OWS to me at the minute would be one crossing of a bird bath!

On nutrition, I have been told jelly babies are a good source (about 10cal each). I tried them during recent training but found they made me feel slighly nauseous so not sure whether thats the answer for me but thought I would pass it on. Hadn't thought about the fact that it's easier to digest food on the bike, perhaps obvious but a good tip. Do you guys get lucozade in the US? This is the 'drink of choice' over here but again and might be worth trying if you don't like Gatorade. In larger quantities, I find it unsettles my stomach during longer runs but is okay in small/frequent mouthfulls.

Anyone got training plans/races for the weekend?
2007-05-18 6:46 AM

User image

Expert
You know, guys, truthfully, maybe it's because my ancestry is Norweigan, but I'm not that coordinated on the bike to actually tear open a package and consume it's contents and not wipe out! For that reason, I'm enamored with the uncrustables or fold over idea (can pretty much stuff it all in my mouth in a couple bites and just GO.... I can't currently even drink water on the bike without pulling over. So, I let myself do so. Which makes my time stink. But at least I'm still here, because I SWEAR the same darn blue car came up at the same place on the course yesterday as on Saturday, beeped at me and then failed to get in the other lane even though there was NO oncoming traffic in it's way!!!!! Could have reached out and touched the beeping car!!!!! Now imagine a crosswind making me swerve suddenly (cuz it does almost blow me off the road at times) or trying to eat or drink at that moment! Should I get a nerdy little mirror on my bike???? Might be geeky or whatever, but perhaps I need one??? Does any other uncoordinated Newbie pull over to drink during a race? I didn't have to drink as much the second time as the first, I think because I wasn't sweating at the palms from sheer nerve of a first time on a hilly twisty turny trafficky course all alone on a skinny tired expensive bike that I really don't want wrecked before I've even raced her! (my bike's name is Persephone, btw).

And I enjoy all your posts, so feel free to post any and all Q's, comments, hair tips (had a debate over that on my previous forum--the consensus was I should go with dayglo pink and then wear artsy black duds ala Any Warhol for the rest of my life, as WHAT do you wear besides black with bright pink hair???) or even post if you are having an emotional crisis. Oh, yeah, I forgot, men don't have those--only us hormonal chicks with pink hair

And I especially like to see race photos--so have someone take some of your race this weekend and show us your victory across the finish line arms up in the air photo!!! (and I'm so sorry, but I can't remember which K name was racing this weekend--we need to do something about that with TWO Kevins, two Davids and there's another K name, correct??) Well, at least there's only one crazy bird lady on here for you all to remember! And I also really enjoy the British humor (must be something in the tea......). Happy Friday, everyone
2007-05-18 7:39 AM

User image

Mesquite, Texas
I've really enjoyed the postings so far from all, just trying to absorb it all.
Question: does anyone fit in weightroom work in your training? If so, how much? I've been just putting in a little whenever I can on some of the rest days that are built into the training program.

Thanks
Dave.

2007-05-18 8:14 AM

Connecticut
Armydad,
I try to incorporate at least 2 one half hour full body circuits into my training per week. These workouts keep my heart rate up. I do about 12-15 reps of each exercise, one per body part. I ususally superset to keep the time down and the intensity up, for instance, I will 15 dumbell chest presses and immediately upon completion go do as many pullups as I can. I will rest ten or twenty seconds and do another set of presses and pullups and then move on to shoulders and legs, bi's and tri's etc. I come from a wrestling, football,rugby, bulk up background. I am brand new at Tri-training so I am not sure if this is proper or not. I guess we will see when I do my first later this summer!!!! good luck and let me know how it goes!
Kevin
2007-05-18 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
I'm too lazy to do weights consistently on my own (except boxing and 100 pushups when I'm feeling especially insane) so I go to the YMCA where they have the Cybex machines and do that. They pretty much work every muscle group and going from machine to machine makes it all go fast. But as I posted before, I try to do the max weight I can do in 5 reps. If I can do more easily, I increase the weight. If I can only do 3 or 4, I decrease the weight until 5 is the right number. That really increased my strength faster than sticking with the 30 reps weights. Wasn't making much progress with that. And stuff I've read seems to say that you must increase strength in order to gain speed (or endurance for that matter). But I"m at a bit of a loss for how to incorporate strength training into all of this, as training for tri's and marathons is a bit overwhelming for me right now. There are only so many hours in the day.....
2007-05-18 8:45 AM
in reply to: #806041

Veteran
armydad - 2007-05-19 2:39 AM

I've really enjoyed the postings so far from all, just trying to absorb it all.
Question: does anyone fit in weightroom work in your training? If so, how much? I've been just putting in a little whenever I can on some of the rest days that are built into the training program.

Thanks
Dave.

I try and fit this in twice a week:

Exercise Sets Min reps Max reps Min Wt. (lb) Max Wt. (lb)
BACK Pullups - Medium Grip 2 5 5
TRICEPS Rope pulldown 2 15 15 38 38
BACK Lateral pull-downs 2 15 15 70 70
CHEST Flat Bench Press 2 15 15 135 135
BACK Seated row 2 15 15 70 70
SHOULDERS Front DB raise 2 15 15 7 7
SHOULDERS Side DB raise 2 15 15 7 7
BICEPS DB Curls Alternating 2 15 15 32 32
SHOULDERS Shrugs DB 2 15 15 60 60
ABS Incline sit-ups 2 15 15
ABS Knee Raise, Flat bench 2 15 15

It's a little hard to read but basically I do 2 sets of 15 reps for each exercise except the pull ups. I do each exercise directly after the other for one complete rotation and then take a 90 second break before going back for the second set. One complete set of all exercises takes me about 8:00 to complete so when it's all done, I am out of the gym in less than 20 minutes. I will eventually work up to three sets of each and I do need to increase the reps for the abs. I don't bother with legs right now because of the running and biking. I missed this weeks workouts because of the holidays here in Germany...I hate holidays!

Tim

2007-05-18 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Hadn't thought about the fact that it's easier to digest food on the bike

Yes, Mike it's a lot easier to digest on the bike. If you think about it, your stomach is fairly motionless on the bike whereas on the run, it's bouncing up and down with every stride! That's why a lot of people recommend trying to get in 60-70% of all your race calories on the bike!

I'm not that coordinated on the bike to actually tear open a package and consume it's contents and not wipe out!

Pene, Please try to practice this. Especially taking a sip out of bottle while riding. It is very important to drink, and I'm glad you're stopping now, but with practice you can learn to do it while riding. Just practice on a smooth, flat road with no traffic. With practice, you'll learn!

Dave, I am much like yourself. I basically try to fit in a full body workout on an easy days. I'm trying to get more structured about this and follow a periodization plan with lifting as well as the aerobic training. I'll try to talk more about this soon, but I think a lot of people would have you prioritize swimming, biking, and running over lifting. That is, if you had a fixed amount of time, and had to choose one. If you have lots of time, then by all means lift! However, don't lift too close to a long or fast run. This could cause injury.

2007-05-18 8:53 AM

User image

New user
If you're just getting started with Triathlon Weight Training:
Lots of Reps - Low Weight - Large Muscles Groups and Legs (Lats, Chest, All Legs)
20-30 reps - 30% Max

If you ever get into "The Triathlete Training Bible" it gives tons of weight training information. For a small guy like me, weight training was very beneficial, some people are better suited to just ride there bike a lot to develop the specific activity muscles.

2007-05-18 10:07 AM

User image

Pro
Texas
Phoenix et al, I usually have a pack of Shot Bloks in one of the pockets on my tri/bike jersey when I'm on the bike portion. I open the pack when I'm setting up the transition area then put my jersey on after I'm out of the water. That way all you have to do is grab a shot blok from the open package in your pocket during the ride rather than tear it open in mid-ride. Plus there's uaully about 6 of those bloks in the pack, which is always plenty nutrition for me during a 20-30 mile ride.
2007-05-18 10:52 AM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

BTW, I apologize for not logging my training yet.  I intend to start this weekend as I don't want to be hypocrite!! Up to now, I've been using a Polar's training log that came with my S625X b/c it automatically updates the log when I download the data from my HRM. 

2007-05-18 12:59 PM

User image

Somerset, England
I have also tried to incorporate 2 weight training sessions per week but find the gym very dull and therefore struggle to motivate myself to do it regularly. Much prefer the running and biking (not so much the swimming at the moment) and to be honest part of this is the fact that I don't really know what I should be be concentrating on with the weights. Heavy or lite? Many reps or a few? Legs or no legs? Would welcome some thoughts as the advice seems to be conflicting depending where you look.

I know David is looking to pull some info together and that should help a great deal.

As suggested by Pene, recent finishing line photo attached, and you're right, its all in the tea! You can't beat a nice cuppa.... especially after a long run in the winter (I know its a diaretic (sp)). My wife can't stand the stuff and would rather drink beer (but she is Canadian and you know what they're like)!

Have good weekends all...
2007-05-18 1:03 PM

User image

Somerset, England
Can't upload the image as it's too bloody big!! Not sure how to down size the file so that will have to wait.....
2007-05-18 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Hi Rocket, you have to use Irfanview (download it free) to Resize the image to under 100kb. Stinks, but that's the way it is on this site. Then attach file after posting and you're set!!

Yes I do know about those Canadians!! Wild bunch and rather stubborn

Glad to know about those little snacks, Jonathan. Never heard of them before, but makes sense to try it!! I'll be practicing drinking on the bike this weekend (and standing up on it, as I'm not good at that either--LOTS easier on the spinner bikes at the Y where there is no crosswind, traffic or balancing to contend with). Lord, I'm SUCH a newbie...........

2007-05-18 1:22 PM
in reply to: #806820

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

There seems to be some interest in weight training here which is good.  I'm not really an expert in this area and I've never really followed a structured lifting program, but I do know some of the basics:

1. If you have limited time, prefer to SBR (swim, bike, or run).
  2. Don't workout legs to close (24- 48 hrs) to a long or fast run.
  3. Don't lift before swimming.  After is OK.
  4. Weight training should be "periodized", just like aerobic training.  This means that during the earlier and longer "base" period, you should be doing relative light weights with higher reps (15-20).  Then, during the "build" period (I'll define these soon), you should start to focus more on building strength by increasing the resistance and decreasing the reps.

I don't have any good references on weight training yet, but I'll try to find some soon.

However, I have started to put together a list of my absolute favorite articles about triathlon.  They can be found by using the "btgroup" tag for my del.icio.us page: http://del.icio.us/dgillen/btgroup.  I've also put a brief comment on each of these links.  You can actually see all of my bookmarks if you like and some the ones tagged with "triathlon" or "training" might also be of interest to some of you.  However, these links are not commented.

There really is a wealth of information out there, and I certainly don't want any of us to feel overwhelmed.  Don't feel like you have to read/understand all of it.  My hope is that I can filter out some of the resources for you and only show you my favorites.   This list will grow over time and you can subscribe to it with your favorite feed reader to be notified when I add an article.  

Let me know your thoughts about this.

2007-05-18 6:52 PM

User image

Expert
Well, David, I'm SUPER impressed! Can't say I've completely digested all of the material yet, but it has my brain cells tingling! One link from an article about IM training caught my eye, and the dude DEMANDS all his coached athletes purchase a powermeter for the bike. I attended a seminar awhile back and that fellow also vouched for increasing power. He gave us some speed interval workouts, which I would be happy to post for you all, but I'll have to do so later when I have some uninterrupted time to type. For now, my Q is this: would trying to get a used PM be okay? Like if some super techy dude went up a notch with a PM and wanted to let his old one go, and if so, where in the world would you suggest I start looking? I can't get one for about a month or so at the soonest, due to other obligations, but if I start looking and know what sort of price, then I can start laying it away. Unless in your opinion, a PM is NOT a good investment???

Really liked the distances to shoot for when training for sprint/oly/half/full IM--everyone should look at that for sure! For a sprint tri, you are supposed to do at least ONCE in training: 800yard swim, 1.5 hour bike, 45 minute run. Piece of cake! Bet most of us are doing that at least once a week. And he doesn't mean all back to back, though that would be ideal! He just means, do those at least once before your event--period. So, it should make you all feel much better. For an IM, you need to be able to do: 4Kswim, 6 hour bike, 3 hour run, and at least one 6+ hour workout! I have done a 4 hour bike, a 3 hour run, and a 1.3 mile swim to date, so I'm not as far off as I thought! Especially shooting for a Half IM NEXT June, and a full IM NEXT September! Give me a PM and I'll be Superwoman in NO time (bipolar manic euphoria episode here???)

Anyway, the Velma in me is having a ball with this info, so Thanks!!!! (Velma ala Scooby Doo.....)
2007-05-18 7:41 PM

New user

I have been off line all day and holy cow!! There was some comments about open water swims earlier. I have never done a tri befoer but I am doing a sprint late summer. I did do a 2.5 mile open water swim last summer for charity. The one thing I would recommend is that if someone is doing one and wearing some sort of suit, then practice wearing it. The swin that I did took place in one of the rivers of the Chesapeake Bay over July 4th. We have tons of jelly fish during that time of year so I wore a lycra suit. It is amazing the resistance that you have wearing even one of those suits. I was worn out in no time just by the resistance in the suit. The funny thing is that I still got stung even throug the suit. It is amazing what those little biggers can get through. The suit sis stop about 90% of the stings but that last 10% still sucked!!

Ed
2007-05-18 8:03 PM

User image

New user
I have a couple questions.
How many 3+ hour bike rides should take place in a week?
How long should the remaining rides be?

I liked a quote in one of the articles.
"Build a Ludicrously Strong Bike"

I think that cycling is my current limiter. Happy to all suggestions regarding it.
2007-05-18 8:22 PM

User image

Expert
I just upgraded to Bronze because there were too many articles that I just had to read! For $25, it's totally worth it, in my opinion! But one article said for an IM you should be doing 150 miles bike and 20-25 miles run PER WEEK! YIKES!! So, my realization is that some of this will just have to be on the trainer, even though that's what I did from Jan to now and felt like I was hopeless when taking her out on the road. However, I think my leg strength is there, it's just a matter of getting used to the equipment and the elements, and for this little whimp, it's the fear factor. Miler, you are still young enough to be largely fearless! I think of who's gonna raise my kids if I die every time I go out and do something at all risky! My point is, I DO think getting on the bike a lot is important, but most folks will be limited as to actual road mileage due to limits on time, daylight, family, work, weather, etc. So, probably saving up for a power meter and pushing that indoors on the trainer is the way to go and what they mean about 150 miles! You just can't push power outdoors unless you do hill after hill after hill.......and in my neighborhood that is entirely possible! Except I can't leave my job and kids to go out there for hours every day. BUT, I CAN get on the trainer with a PM (eventually) for an hour or two several times a week when the kids are asleep, watching a movie, in the bathtub, playing outside in the yard where I can see them with the neighbor kids, etc. And hop off for a minute or two to get a drink, put out a kid fire, pee, answer the phone....and I bet, I could even have my laptop within reach and read/type while pedaling!!! Of course, women ARE supposed to be the ultimate in multi-tasking!! But, I'm totally biased here

2007-05-18 8:54 PM
in reply to: #807528

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-05-18 6:52 PM Well, David, I'm SUPER impressed! Can't say I've completely digested all of the material yet, but it has my brain cells tingling!

Thanks, and again don't worry about process any or all of it.  This thread has really taken off and you all are posting a lot of great information, but it is a lot.  So, please read it all if you want, but pick and choose otherwise!  If I/we can "tingle your brain", then we've succeeded!

Give me a PM and I'll be Superwoman in NO time (bipolar manic euphoria episode here???) Anyway, the Velma in me is having a ball with this info, so Thanks!!!! (Velma ala Scooby Doo.....)

I love it.  You've been bit by the IM bug HARD!  Awesome, but you've got time.  I don't want you worried about what training is required to complete an IM yet.  The earliest you'd do one is Sept 08, right?  You really shouldn't even start thinking about starting to train for it until the end of this year.  Let's focus on just getting you some solid experience, slowly building up your base mileage, and getting you prepared and in peak condition for your "A" (or highest priority) races this year!

About the PM, I don't have one and haven't used one, but I agreed that it'd make a great training tool and investment.  HOWEVER, I really think you should get proficient at using a HRM before a PM.   But if you a spare $1000 burning a hole in your pocket, then by all means get one!

2007-05-18 9:00 PM
in reply to: #807585

User image

New user
My dad lives and dies on his trainer, I just have to get outdoors (I don't like TV that much). He'll spend an entire Sunday on that thing though. I don't think it matters all too much as long as you're putting in your time. Just remember that a trainer has difficult simulating balance, hills, headwinds. I'm not sure where this 'power' idea has come into play, but I think if you just focus on riding a lot of miles at this point you're going to benefit. Power doesn't require hills, just some interval training so pick a stop sign and get there as fast as you can-recover-repeat (On a trainer give it a good 30 sec to 1 min sprint). I'm guessing you're riding on a CycleOps or something. I won't be doing any typing with my "largely fearless" rollers. You're excitement and energy is incredible.
2007-05-18 9:05 PM
in reply to: #807572

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Miler - 2007-05-18 8:03 PM I have a couple questions. How many 3+ hour bike rides should take place in a week? How long should the remaining rides be? I liked a quote in one of the articles. "Build a Ludicrously Strong Bike" I think that cycling is my current limiter. Happy to all suggestions regarding it.

First of all, be sure to build up to these long rides.  Don't go right out and bike 5hrs if you have gone over 3 before.  Try not to increase the time of your long ride by too much more than 10-15% each week.  

I think you mentioned that you're dong a 2-3 hr ride now on Sundays, right?  If that's been your longest ride, then next week I might try to move up to a 3.5 hr long ride.  Then, a 4 hr ride, etc.  For now, you should only have one of these long rides a week.  The other rides can be anywhere from 1 - 2 hrs.   Most of your rides should be done in Zone 2, meaning a steady aerobic pace where you can carry on a conversation.  You shouldn't be pushing really hard at any time during these long rides.

I'm glad you've identified your limiter.  That's a very important step in training that I have yet to mention.  If cycling is your limiter, then maybe once every other week you should try to get in a second long ride in the week.  For example, once you've worked up to a 4 hr ride on Sat, you might turn around and do a 2.5 or 3 hr ride on Sunday.  Also, if you could find time to bike 4 times/wk instead of 3 that would be really good too. 

2007-05-18 9:12 PM
in reply to: #807617

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Miler - 2007-05-18 9:00 PM My dad lives and dies on his trainer, I just have to get outdoors (I don't like TV that much). He'll spend an entire Sunday on that thing though.

Trainers...Arghh... I hate those things.  I used mine about 8-10 times last year, and I haven't been on it at all this year.  But, I live in TX, so we can almost ride outdoors year round here.  I get so bored on mine, even with a Spinerval or movie on.  I HAVE to ride outside.

However, I totally respect those who ride on them out of necessity due to family or time constraints or weather.  They're invaluable for that.  However, I don't have kids and it doesn't snow or get bitter cold down here too often, so I'm lucky.

Trainers are perfect for rides during the week when you need to squeeze in an hour ride here or there, but I'd really try to get outside for your longer rides on the weekend.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » David Gillen's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 36