BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeanneRoth's Group - CLOSED! ;o) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2007-07-09 7:10 PM
in reply to: #876071

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Subject: RE: First mini-brick....what's up with the legs?
Suzy, this made me laugh so hard when I read it. sorry, but I have been there. You get used to it. BUT I would recommend starting with less running or easier pacing when you first do this.

A great way to get your legs really used to this is BIKE 15 minutes, RUN 15 minutes repeat this 2-3 times depending on your fitness level.

Other tips for getting of the bike and having your legs respond.....spin the last 5-7 minutes of the bike course. That means stop mashing big gears to get into T2 quickly, and get your cadence up to 90 and keep it there until you get off. This is also helpful if you encounter any hills. Spin the lactic out of your legs.

2007-07-09 7:13 PM
in reply to: #877032

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Subject: RE: JeanneRoth's Group - CLOSED! ;o)
YOU ROCK!
The concept of "Slow" is in your MIND only which means you KNOW you can do better and want to go faster! Congrats on the finish....What did you learn? About yourself? Racing? Technque? Did you talk to anyone and get any tips? Do you think you can push more? Or were you uncomfortable?

The Timberman sprint is a great race with some hills on the bike so be ready! also the lake is kinda cool...hope you have a wetsuit.

FYI- was an athena. You will drop the weight and you will get faster!
2007-07-10 10:38 AM
in reply to: #821775

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
UPDATE-July 10, 2007
I am in Phoenix on business. Oh MAH GAWD is sooooo hot. The pools are pee warm....
you HAVE to run by 6am or you will melt. Literally.

So, Last weekend I was at Mt. Washington in Gorham NH for a bike race, Newton's revenge. This race was not sold out if anyone is interested for next year, limit 300 riders. This is the bike race up the mountain with the worlds worst weather. Check out their website, http://www.mountwashington.org/It is the highest driveable peak in the east. The bike ride is 7.9 miles with over 5,000 feet of gain. Unfortunatley, this years race was cancelled due to weather. On Saturday it was 70 mph winds and on Sunday the two dirt sections of the road were impassable because it rained all night.

I borrowed my friends mountain bike, because mine is so old it only has 7 cogs on the back. Not 10 like new bikes, so I couldn't put a larger casette on the back. On my friends bike I had a 22 (smallest gear in front on the cranks) and a 34 (largest gear in back) I test rode the bike up Platte Clove Road in Saugerties, NY. Also better known as Devil's Kitchen. The headwalls on this road are 18-25% I went up the first 3 headwalls (it was pouring out and I didn;t want to go down the road) which were all 20%. I was able to spin pretty well. Her bike doesn;t have a computer, so I don't know how slow or fast I was going. But it was pretty slow.

For fun, check out this page: http://www.northeastcycling.com/Global_Climbs.html
I have done the whiteface climb.

Keep on....
2007-07-10 5:42 PM
in reply to: #878191

I think I will be better prepared mentally for the swim next time (do have a wetsuit!) all the feet in my face was alittle unsettling at first, but now I will know what to expect. I definately think I could have pushed harder, I was worried if I did I wouldn't make it to the end...now I know I can definately turn it up a notch. I felt that transitions were slow, but I had everything I needed, will just go faster next time. Didn't talk to many people, still too nervous I guess. One very nice guy did help me with racking my bike, needed to use the seat because the handlebars wouldn't hook over, the rack was too high and my bars are straight, he was a lifesaver as I was just about to panic! Thanks for the warning on the hills in the Timberman, I hope to get up there in the next few weeks and check out the course...I have to say I can hardly wait! Donna
2007-07-14 5:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Hi folks - just sharing some race results - 2 mile OWS race - 43:49 3 place AG 30th/113 Over all..  - not bad consider my first OWS race. First Hardware for athletics in over 23 years!  Hope everyone is doing well as this post has been very quiet....
2007-07-14 5:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Hi folks - just sharing some race results - 2 mile OWS race - 43:49 3 place AG 30th/113 Over all..  - not bad consider my first OWS race. First Hardware for athletics in over 23 years!  Hope everyone is doing well as this post has been very quiet....

2007-07-15 11:27 AM
in reply to: #886024

User image

San Antonio, TX
Hi Dave:
Congratulations!! I haven't had much time to post, but I have been reading the posts. You guys are all so awesome with your running etc. I just keep plugging away here hoping my times will improve. My 5K on the 4th was 38.25 but I am going to try another one this Friday. We shall see. Maybe 47 is a little too old to start this type of athletic endeavor but I will keep at it, I like having a goal for working out now. I am considering entering an Xterra event on Aug 5th http://www.campeagle.org/XTERRA.html
The run is 4 miles, scary. But maybe my bike will do better on trails. The swim should be a blast! Just have to take a critical look at the budget before I enter.

Congratulations to Donna, great job.

Thanks again to all you runners posting your comments. I will get there someday.

And Jeanne you are awesome. thanks for you input.

Lynn
2007-07-15 11:35 AM
in reply to: #886024

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
daveo1101 - 2007-07-14 6:22 PM

DAVE! Way to go! You podiumed! (is that a word?)

OK, so you have to help me with my swim....I do a 2.4miles in 1:22 (PR). What is your secret?
2007-07-15 11:46 AM
in reply to: #886350

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
txmarm23 - 2007-07-15 12:27 PM

Hi Dave:
Congratulations!! I haven't had much time to post, but I have been reading the posts. You guys are all so awesome with your running etc. I just keep plugging away here hoping my times will improve. My 5K on the 4th was 38.25 but I am going to try another one this Friday. We shall see. Maybe 47 is a little too old to start this type of athletic endeavor but I will keep at it, I like having a goal for working out now. I am considering entering an Xterra event on Aug 5th http://www.campeagle.org/XTERRA.html
The run is 4 miles, scary. But maybe my bike will do better on trails. The swim should be a blast! Just have to take a critical look at the budget before I enter.

Congratulations to Donna, great job.

Thanks again to all you runners posting your comments. I will get there someday.

And Jeanne you are awesome. thanks for you input.

Lynn

Lynn, 47 is not too old. Frank Farrar is 79 and started triathons in his 60s after battling cancer. You are not too old. BUT you have to recognize that your body heals slower than mine and you might make your fitness gains slower too. there are supplements to take (that are legal) that will help you recover faster after a workout.

When you run your 5Ks what is your RPE? I worry that you are doing too many and are going to get injured. Take it easy. Fitness is for the long haul.....you will improve!

About the Xterra....good luck! I am not a stellar mountain biker and have never done a race. My friend who is a good technical mountain biker started doing Xterra's and loves them! Be aware that sometimes they throw a lot of wierd stuff at you. She just raced in Virginia (i think) and the swim had obstacles you had to climb over....check out the race carefully. BUT GO DO IT! It will be a blast!

Isn't having a goal better than just working out like a gym rat? I would slug out my 45 minutes on the stairmaster and lift weights and never loose weight and never feel good about myself. Now that I do triathlons and marathons I feel awesome about my body and what it can do, not what it looks like. You are all in a small percentage of the population who has decided to get off their hiney and have some fun!

FYI- it took me a while to knock off significant time from my running. (like 2 years) I'm not trying to discourage you, just being realistic. You will see results with putting in some work. BUT I want you to have a better base. I want you to slowly work up to 5 miles in 55 minutes (11 minutes miles) What is your long run now? are you following a schedule?

Everytime you go to a race try to take off 15 -30 seconds. See what happens when you push yourself just a little more.
2007-07-15 2:02 PM

Hi Everyone! Dave congrats on the OWS, I hope you are enjoying your vacation. Lynn- I sure hope 47 is not too old to start all this stuff, I'm 48 and just starting to tri, didn't start the whole fitness thing til 46, a late bloomer! I have to say that my 5k best time is 34:30 minutes as well which can be frustrating...my time for most races 5K, 10K is 12:30min.mile, the half is 15:00(3:16:00 that was a long race, i got lost for about 5 minutes at the end cause one of the risks of being on the slow side at long races is the course starts to shut down and the marshalls leave the posts, be sure to always KNOW the whole race route if you know you may be out later,I learned the hard way)... I find myself at the back of the pack pretty consistently, but try to remember all the people not IN the pack at all....donna
2007-07-15 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
thx for congrats, - no secrets.. I was a pool rat as a kid, then a competative diver through college - qualified for Nationals - so swimming is second nature to me.  I'm 43 and it is not to late -  but i agree with Jeanne, it takes longer to recover, thats ok - I like rest!

2007-07-16 9:06 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: Tri-Relay and transitions....

I am planning to do my first tri-relay in August with two of my friends. I am the bike leg. Not having done one of these before, how should we think about the transition set up given each of us is doing a leg?  The only tri I have ever observed is IM WI so am totally clueless what to do, think about, etc.

We are competing against two other teams comprised of our friends who are all first timers.  My team is the oldest by 26 years Surprised so we need all of the advantages we can build into the race. 

Thanks, Suzy

2007-07-16 10:48 PM
in reply to: #886361

User image

San Antonio, TX
Jeanne:
What's an RPE? Yesterday I ran 45minutes straight on trails so I don't know the distance. I felt good after the run. Today I swam, tomorrow I am going to run again and Wednesday's I do about a 10 mile bike. Thursday rest and Friday the 5K. I do think it is about pushing myself but I have to know I can do the distance first. The run yesterday really helped my confidence. Should I plan longer runs on time or distance?

Thanks,
Lynn
2007-07-18 8:46 AM
in reply to: #888612

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
txmarm23 - 2007-07-16 11:48 PM

Jeanne:
What's an RPE? Yesterday I ran 45minutes straight on trails so I don't know the distance. I felt good after the run. Today I swam, tomorrow I am going to run again and Wednesday's I do about a 10 mile bike. Thursday rest and Friday the 5K. I do think it is about pushing myself but I have to know I can do the distance first. The run yesterday really helped my confidence. Should I plan longer runs on time or distance?

Thanks,
Lynn

Lynn, Sorry for the delayed response. my computer died yesterday amd I am shipping it to my IT guy who couldn't fix it over my network. I am up at Lake Placid for the Ironman typing on the hotel computer.

So, RPE is Rate of Perceived Exertion. Also known as PRE. Perceived Rate of Exertion. There are different scales that are used, some 1-20, I like 1-10, (easier to compute percentages for me.) So if you run comfortably for 45 minutes and feel good afterwards, you can push more in your race. YOu need to develop your own scale in training that you can use. It changes with your travel plans, work schedule, fatigue, illness, injury so it is not written in stone. Similar to heart rate training.

When beginning, it is all about completing the distance or time. So for your 5K. You should be comfortable running for 40-45 minutes. 60 would be even better! When that is truly comfortable then you can start to go faster and work at going faster. Otherwise you are going to hurt yourself, which none of us want!

Do you have a mountain bike with a computer that you can get the trail distance? I like doing that so I know what I'm running, but it is fun to just run amok! I like running the same route every 2 weeks to get a time trial or sense of how I'm doing/feeling.

I know this might be a lot to digest, and I am rambling (been up early this morning!)

Please ask any other questions if I am not making sense.

Look at the running schedules for the olympic distance and sprint distance training plans. That is more like what you should do as far as structure. I think they use RPE too.

Happy Wednesday!
2007-07-24 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
OK, sorry to be gone for so long! Just got back from Ironman Lake Placid! I set another PR on a very beautiful day! Lucky me! My good friends both did the race for the first time and one qualified for Hawaii! Whoo Hoo!

I updated my photo album, like Suzy asked....LOL.

If anyone is interested, the Ironman live shows are on itunes. I am on the Timex team panel for Arizona and Lake Placid. Get a good Laugh and learn something at the same time!
2007-07-31 1:37 PM
in reply to: #898953

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Just saying hi to the group - it is awfully quiet in here. What's everyones next race plans?

2007-07-31 2:12 PM
in reply to: #908428

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
it sure is quiet! I am recovering from the ironman...what is everyone doing? vacations? races? training? nutrition? Buehler? Buehler?

Thanks for your comments on my training calendar, Dave!
2007-07-31 2:36 PM
in reply to: #908506

User image

Champion

I was thinking the same thing.  I still have the same question I wrote about a few weeks ago.  How do you set up a transition area for a relay? do you pass an ankle chip to one another? is there a bike area or do you keep it with your stuff?  it is a small tri in Wausau WI.  It does not offer much instruction.

I was also curious why some triathlons allow wet suits while others do not.  The triathlon I am part of this weekend, specifically says no wet suits. Why?

2007-07-31 3:03 PM
in reply to: #908572

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Sorry for missing your post! My computer has been in and out of the Geek Squad at Best Buy. I now have a new hard drive and have to find the time to install a new fan next week! Anyhoo....

I can't answer the relay question...you should post to the big forum for that one...or do a search to see it the topic has been discussed.

The wetsuit question I can answer! Usually a race will allow wetsuits if the water temperature is below 78 degrees F. I can't swim with a wetsuit that warm anyway, but that's just me.

You can wear a swim skin or speed suit which has the same hydro-dynamic qualities that a wetsuit gives you, with no bouyancy.

What is your leg of the relay? Good Luck!
2007-07-31 6:29 PM

Participated in the Danskin Tri in Webster,Mass....was the bike leg...we set up my bike in transition, the swimmer went to the start with the chip strapped to her ankle, came out of the water and into the transition area to where my bike was, we swapped the strap to me and off I went, I came back to the same spot and transferred it to the runner.....saw alot of people meeting each other in different spots..thought that didn't seem right but what do I know! Good experience overall, big hill that was conquered....still feeling frustrated with how slow I go.....goal for next year, lose 30 pounds and do more speed training in all disciplines....hoping lighter will help faster..I don't want to be first, just not always at the end!
2007-07-31 8:33 PM
in reply to: #908894

User image

Champion
Thanks for the information.  I am also the bike leg and there are two rather long hills (1m each)   to climb.  I have never done anything quite like that, but my husband is on an opposing team so I have to give it my all.  I cannot be beat by him! 

2007-07-31 8:39 PM
in reply to: #909003

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
OOOO! Suzy, you MUST at all costs WIN! (sorry Dave)

As a wife who has kicked butt in the last two ironman races, but who got her butt kicked last night by 4 minutes, can attest, you must win at all costs. Even to have him pass you is a good feeling, it means you were in front of him at some point!

Don't worry about the hills.....Just put it in an easy gear and spin, spin, spin!
Since you only have to do the one leg, you can push a little harder than normal.
2007-07-31 8:47 PM
in reply to: #908894

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
dtrudelle - 2007-07-31 7:29 PM

Participated in the Danskin Tri in Webster,Mass....was the bike leg...we set up my bike in transition, the swimmer went to the start with the chip strapped to her ankle, came out of the water and into the transition area to where my bike was, we swapped the strap to me and off I went, I came back to the same spot and transferred it to the runner.....saw alot of people meeting each other in different spots..thought that didn't seem right but what do I know! Good experience overall, big hill that was conquered....still feeling frustrated with how slow I go.....goal for next year, lose 30 pounds and do more speed training in all disciplines....hoping lighter will help faster..I don't want to be first, just not always at the end!

Donna-Were you assigned a number and racked/made exchanges there? That would make sense to me....and why everyone was in different places.

With regard to losing weight, I have lost 25 pounds and trust me it makes a huge difference! I did it by cutitng out alcohol and dessert. Having a little of them each on the weekend when I was doing more training. Also keeping a food journal helped. I had no idea how much cheese I was eating, so I cut back on that too. I was also way out of balance with my protein to carb and fat ratio....the nutrition log here on BT is really a great tool. try it and see how it works for you.

Also try heart zone training. you will melt away the pounds! I'm so excited for you to start your journey! You will find out so much about yourself through this journey it really is going to be a great experience. (i know how can someone be so bleeping excited about losing weight?) i know how much I have improved physically and mentally, and you will too. Your goal for next year starts NOW!
2007-08-01 10:32 PM

User image

San Antonio, TX
Attn WalMart Shoppers:
The Roadmaster Mt. Fury was ridden 29.04 miles today, sometimes reaching speeds of 38 mph! One hill tried to take us down but I remained strong and stayed on. I really think I am going to do the Xterra event Sunday. Will keep you posted.

Good luck on your bike leg Suzy.

Hello to everyone,
Lynn
2007-08-02 7:59 AM
in reply to: #910574

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
txmarm23 - 2007-08-01 11:32 PM

Attn WalMart Shoppers:
The Roadmaster Mt. Fury was ridden 29.04 miles today, sometimes reaching speeds of 38 mph! One hill tried to take us down but I remained strong and stayed on. I really think I am going to do the Xterra event Sunday. Will keep you posted.

Good luck on your bike leg Suzy.

Hello to everyone,
Lynn

YOU CRACK ME UP! Take that Wal-Mart bike and go kick some bootay!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeanneRoth's Group - CLOSED! ;o) Rss Feed  

of 12