BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MaXpiXie's Group - CLOSED and Motivated to Train!! :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2007-12-28 6:07 PM
in reply to: #1090041

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: MaXpiXie's Group - CLOSED and Motivated to Train!! :)

Haha, Santa gets cookies (specifically, peanut butter kisses) and a Guinness in our house  

Keep getting in those workouts, gals.  I will make the rounds tomorrow to see how everyone is faring in this holiday "sandwich" week

2007-12-28 6:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Santa got homemade chocolate chip cookies (thank goodness there are no more left) and a can of diet coke.  A few years ago I went to one of those paint your own pottery places and made a plate and mug which say Santa's cookies and Santa's milk.  The boys love leaving the cookies for Santa.

We had a scare on Christmas Eve.  Mitchell is 11 and I think at that age when he does still believe but questions at the same time. Our answer is that as long as he believes,  Santa will bring him presents.  So,  that said, he still got presents this year so he still believes. The fun part of this is that we have to make sure that Mike and I get presents from Santa too.

Anyway,  Mitch and Danny went to bed at 9pm and told us not to stay up too late so that Santa did not skip our house.  We waited until they were definitely asleep  and about 10:30 started to bring out the presents.  We had everything set under the tree and I headed to bed to read.  Mike was still on the couch in the living room with the TV on and lights out(same room as the tree) when all of sudden I hear the boys' bedroom door open and someone wander out and down the stairs.  (They share a bedroom upstairs so that we were able to turn the 3rd bedroom into a playroom for them). Next thing I hear is whoever it was turn arouund and head back to the bedroom.  My heart was in my throat.  I went down to find out Mitchell came halfway when Mike asked what was the matter.  Mitchell did not answer  but turned around and went back to bed.  He never said anything and we hope he was just sleep-walking or groggy enough not to notice the presents under the tree.

Funny thing about this is that Danny is our sleep-walker so who knows and we did not want to ask Mitchell if he remembered doing this.

2007-12-29 12:14 PM
in reply to: #1121218

User image

Extreme Veteran

Our son, now almost 8, caught us halfway through putting presents out last year and the year before.  We convinced him that he had caught Santa putting out gifts (and just missed seeing Santa).  This year we had to wait till later to put stuff out (yawn!)

Yum to the Guinness for Santa but if Santa had the diet Coke I hope it didn't keep him from sleeping!

Tracy

2007-12-31 6:02 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

I'm back from our cruise (it was fabulous!) and ready to get back to it.  I have a race on Saturday that I'm not very prepared for, but hopefully will just gut it out.  I did some running and some spinning on the cruise, but no long runs and no serious workouts.  But what are vacations for if not taking it easy?

Any new years resolutions/goals?

Cheri

2007-12-31 6:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Cheri,  Glad to hear your cruise was nice and that you did get some running and spinning done but agree, you were on vacation and first and foremost there to enjoy yourself. I would't stress yourself too much about your event on Saturday.  I am sure you will do fine and maybe better than you would have done had you stayed home because you are relaxed and rested.

It is funny you asked about resolutions.  I made resolutions for the past three years and kept them all and still am...they were 1st year -losing weight and keeping it off,  2nd year -starting to exercise and 3rd year - keep at exercising and if not losing, then maintaining.  I had not thought about this year yet.   These resolutions have become a part of my lifestyle so renewing them does not seem the right choice since I will be doing them anyway.    I really do have to think about it some more.

Randi

2007-12-31 4:57 PM
in reply to: #1123910

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Fechter99 - 2007-12-31 6:53 AM

It is funny you asked about resolutions.  I made resolutions for the past three years and kept them all and still am...they were 1st year -losing weight and keeping it off,  2nd year -starting to exercise and 3rd year - keep at exercising and if not losing, then maintaining.  I had not thought about this year yet.   These resolutions have become a part of my lifestyle so renewing them does not seem the right choice since I will be doing them anyway.    I really do have to think about it some more.

It's funny, but I just read an article discouraging combining weight loss with exercise.  The point was, a person might get discouraged and give up on the exercise if they didn't see weight loss associated with it.  I thought about you -- you've really embraced the exercise part!   You are right, you don't need that goal now.  Perhaps you should focus more on what you want to accomplish with your triathlon training?

I have two goals right now -- eat healthier and incorporate swimming into my training routine.

Happy New Year everyone!

Cheri

2008-01-01 9:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Happy 2008, gals! 

I have two main goals for '08 that are tri-related. 

#1 is Stick to the Training Program! and #2 is to Eat More Green Things.

If I keep it all very simple, I should be able to do both of those  

I still have to come up with a January Challenge, don't I?  Stay tuned, will pick something good today, I promise. 

2008-01-01 1:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Happy New Year everyone!

I have been seriously thinking about my resolutions for 2008.  I think they will be the same as my short term goals on my blog.  I don't think that I have to resolve to continue exercising because I LOVE doing that now.  I even like the aches and pains that come with a hard workout. I never thought I would say that though. 

1. Lose 10 lbs - but will be dependent on figuring out nutritional needs with weight loss

2. Improve my running

3. Improve my times on the bike

4.  Maintain, if not improve, my swimming times/endurance

5.  Keep at the simplefit workouts to strengthen/tone my upper body

6. Make time for yoga and stretching

with them all helping me complete my first triathlon in under 3 hours.  I have already begun on #1 because I will be going back to WW meetings even if I have to pay for them until I lose 5lbs plus I am keeping track of my points again as a double-check on how much I am eating and should be eating.

Christine,  can't wait to hear the January challenge!

Randi

Edited by Fechter99 2008-01-01 1:27 PM
2008-01-01 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Ok, I've got it.  First though, please let me know if this conflicts with any training plan you are already using (ie., a beginner sprint or oly here on BT or another scripted plan you're using from somewhere else).  Also, feel free to point out anything you see in the "rules" below that don't jive, in general.  I'm making it up as I go along!

The January Challenge is Two Tris Plus One.

Meaning, each week - complete *at least* 2 swim workouts, 2 bike workouts, and 2 run workouts PLUS something else of your choice.  

Rule 1:  There's no time or distance limit on a workout, so if you hit the gym and run 1 mile and swim 500 yds, that's one Run and one Swim for the week.  (however, don't short yourself a good, solid workout just to check the box.  nobody wins when you cheat yourself!)

Rule 2: The "plus one" should be anything other than a swim, bike, or run.  Anything that's in the logs under "sports" is fair game.  Yoga, a step class, yard work/home improvement - whatever, it's up to you. 

Rule 3: There are 5 weeks in January.  Since we've got a "short" week this week (starting TODAY), you can do ONE Tri Plus One this week and have it count for 100%.  However, the last week of January is also short but will be a full Two Tris Plus One.  Weeks will be Sunday through Saturday.

Rule 4: We will "compete" in percentages of workouts completed.  So if you only get to doing 2 swims, 2 bikes, and 1 run, with no "other", you're 5/7 or 71.4%.  At the end of the month, we will average the percentages and see who's completed the most of their workouts. On Sundays I will check each of your logs for the previous week, and keep tally.  No need to post it here, unless you want to   If you're not logging, please start

Rule 5: Anything over 2/2/2 +1 doesn't count towards your percentage for the week, it's just gravy (but don't let that stop you!).  No "make-up" workouts either, when the week is over, the week is over.

That's it!  Hopefully this will keep everyone balanced and also encourage you to add FUN activities into your training schedules.

Who's in??

Edited by maxpixie 2008-01-01 3:03 PM
2008-01-01 3:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Count me in for that challenge!  Does today count for the challenge or does it start tomorrow?

Does strength work like my simplefit count as the other? 

Randi

Edited by Fechter99 2008-01-01 3:15 PM
2008-01-01 4:54 PM
in reply to: #1126310

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

I'm in, but I can already say that I won't be making 100% every week!  Starting on Sunday I'm going on a week and a half long business trip, then I'll be home for a couple of days then leave for our annual ski trip.  But I'm going to try to keep up with training as best as I can.  Hopefully the hotels I'll be staying at will have gyms (and maybe indoor pools?).  And during our ski week I'll definitely have the "plus one" covered.

One question - does spin class count as a "plus one"?  It's in the sports section of the logs, but it technically is biking.  I just find it to be great for endurance training in all sports.

And hopefully today counts -- I got a bike and a run in!

Cheri

2008-01-01 4:55 PM
in reply to: #1126461

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
And Happy New Year everyone!!!
2008-01-01 4:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yep, today (1/1/08) counts, and yep, strength definitely counts as an "other" for the +1.

Oh, and (we must have posted at the same time, Cheri) spin class or stationary bike or trainer counts as a bike workout.  Since it's winter, I don't expect too many folks to be able to actually get out and ride.  I would think Tracy in Calgary would be at a slight disadvantage on that one if I didn't count it!

Edited by maxpixie 2008-01-01 4:57 PM
2008-01-01 5:39 PM
in reply to: #1126464

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
maxpixie - 2008-01-01 4:55 PM

Oh, and (we must have posted at the same time, Cheri) spin class or stationary bike or trainer counts as a bike workout.  Since it's winter, I don't expect too many folks to be able to actually get out and ride.  I would think Tracy in Calgary would be at a slight disadvantage on that one if I didn't count it!

No problem -- I was just trying to point out that you enter spin class into your logs via "sports" (see Rule #2).  So not all sports are fair game in the sports log.

2008-01-01 6:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

That's pretty sharp of you, Cheri - because I don't think I ever noticed it there! I've always just logged the time under bike. 

I learn something new every day, thanks!

2008-01-02 8:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'm in!  I've got a very enthusiastic husband who wants to sign on as my trainer, as well as getting himself in better shape!

I will be cycling either on my bike-trainer or in spin class.  Our bike paths are surprisingly clear but I''m happy with staying inside for a couple more months.

Last night, I had *the worst sleep ever* but I will be in the pool at lunch!

Tracy

2008-01-02 7:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yay Tracy!  Question is, do you want him as a trainer, or is he going to drive you nuts?

My husband just did his first 5K on the treadmill today, at a 9:31 m/m pace.  He just started up at the gym again in December - and now he's beating me??  Maybe it's unfair, maybe it's just *motivation*  

2008-01-03 7:14 AM
in reply to: #1129497

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
maxpixie - 2008-01-02 7:23 PM

Yay Tracy!  Question is, do you want him as a trainer, or is he going to drive you nuts?

My husband just did his first 5K on the treadmill today, at a 9:31 m/m pace.  He just started up at the gym again in December - and now he's beating me??  Maybe it's unfair, maybe it's just *motivation*  

I don't know what it is about men and running.  My husband only runs occasionally (knee problems, and the doctor told him not to run), yet he can beat me any time he wants to.  It's just not fair.  

2008-01-03 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'm happy to have my hubby as my trainer!  Especially when we head out on the roads with our road bikes.  It will be much more fun cycling together than me feeling bad about leaving the family behind.

I'm going to need him for my main resolution which is to be able to work out in the early morning:  he is always up early while I have no problem sleeping until whatever time I have to get up.

I have a feeling that when it comes to cycling he is going to out-cycle me.

Tracy

2008-01-03 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

While my husband is not my trainer,  he is now my training partner.  He has started training to do the sprint triathlon with me and I am thrilled to have him with me.  He has also registered for BT  (he is mfechter).   I just wish we would be able to be in the same wave at the triathlon but also realize it probably for the best because I am a faster swimmer while he is faster on the bike.  The run is our neutralizer right now.

Randi

2008-01-03 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1130798

User image

Extreme Veteran

It's excellent that your husband is also training for a triathlon.  I'd love to get my husband involved in triathlon and know he would do fine in the bike and run parts.  He is less than thrilled about swimming though and *right now* doesn't want to put himself in the position of learning to swim.  That may change though.

Tracy

2008-01-03 3:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Tracy,  I am definitely glad he is interested and like your husband, he is not a swimmer.  He is very content to do side stroke, breast stroke (without putting his face in the water) but he has been swimming and is improving.  He just wants to be able to finish the swim distance.  Unlike me,  right now he has no time goals,  just wants to finish the triathlon.  Maybe he has the right idea.

I have a nutrition question for everyone.  Here is some background first.  I have been on this plateau for easily 4 months (178-181), particularly since I started training in early October and am even up about 4 pounds from where I was before I started my training program.  Before the training, I was at the same plateau (170-174lbs) for almost 1 year which is why I decided to get into the training.  So,  here I am trying to figure out the nutrition needed for a first time triathlete trying to lose weight while at the same time trying to get into condition to complete my first sprint triathlon in July.  I have figured out that I don't think I am consuming enough calories and even above that my pre- and post-nutrition are probably not perfected yet.  I read an article on BT about the pre-post nutrition needs by Marni Rakes. In it she mentions consuming about 100 calories prior to workout and then another max 100 calories within 30 minutes post and then about an hour post to eat a 300 calorie meal.    Now, I get up between 7-7:30am every morning and eat breakfast (normally about 300 cals) at 8am or so.  I head to the gym at 9am.  In Marni's article, it talks about waiting about 2-3 hrs before exercising after consuming a meal. 

I know that breakfast is important but am I messing myself up by eating a normal breakfast before the workout? 

1. Would I do better to just eat a granola bar or something similar, exercise then eat according to Marni's suggestions? 

2, Or, should I eat breakfast and push my workouts to 10am or so?  My problem with that is that if I wait until 10 am,  I go home after taking the boys to school and am afraid I will get distracted at home and then not get to the gym at all.

3.  Should I just continue as I have been doing for the last 3 months (continuing to make better choices each day) and see if my body adjusts to the training/nutrition changes and decides to drop some lbs?

I plan to go to my WW meeting tomorrow even though I will have to pay for it because I am up still but maybe someone will inspire me.

Thanks,
Randi

2008-01-03 4:08 PM
in reply to: #1131637

User image

Extreme Veteran

Randi, I am certainly no expert and have been hovering around the same weight for many years so take my advice for what it's worth!

I have been exercising for many years and can't imagine waiting 2-3 hours post-meal before exercising.  For me, after that long, I would probably be looking for the next meal or snack!

For me, ideally, I want to eat something pre-workout (something that agrees with my tummy), then wait long enough for that something to kick in (for me I like an hour for swimming or running, less for cycling), then go exercise .  It is certainly better to eat before a workout than to skip eating, because you will actually have more energy to burn more calories.  For post-workout, perhaps see how hungry you feel.  If you are burning 200-600 calories, you may want or need to have a meal or snack that is less than you burned. 

Again, I am no expert but my mom was a dietitian and she passed on to me what she was taught (old-school but sometimes that is not too bad).

If I'm able to drag myself out of bed for workouts before work (my New Years resolution), chances are good that I will be shoving a PowerBar or granola bar in my mouth as I jump on the bike-trainer.

I will be interested to see what everyone else has to say.

Tracy

Edited by tracyhmcd 2008-01-03 4:50 PM
2008-01-03 6:01 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Randi, I'm no expert either, and most of my workouts are early morning.  So I hardly ever eat before running, unless it's going to be a very long run.  Then I come back and get ready for work (and bring my breakfast with me), so I probably don't eat until at least an hour and half after I workout.  I'm probably not doing myself any good with this routine, though.

When I'm going to bike, I usually eat something an hour or so before that will stay with me, because my bikes are typically longer and I do find myself getting hungry.  And my stomach seems to be able to handle food better biking than running.

As far as the plateau goes, in my weight management class they taught us that if you hit a plateau (and you are still eating reduced calories), then your body's starvation hormones are kicking in and you need to increase your calorie intake.  Since you've been exercising so much, perhaps that is what you need to do?

But as I said, I'm no expert at this.  I've been able to maintain my weight for several years, but have a lot of activity (and stress) to help out.

Cheri

2008-01-03 6:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I think articles/videos like that are helpful, but as with all things food-related, it's really what YOUR individual body needs.  I'm also thinking that the article you mentioned, Randi, isn't really geared toward the triathlete who is trying to lose weight.  Following her advice will fuel you for a workout, but won't necessarily be a part of a weight loss program. 

Typically, when you hit a plateau, it means it's time to change something up.  More strength sessions, or different strength exercises (using different muscle groups that aren't the ones you've previously trained) can help.  Making dietary adjustments can help (cutting out dairy, refined sugars, adding protein, quitting that last daily soda, etc.).   More cardio, to a point, can help.  But weight loss is a *long term* process, and sometimes it takes 6-8 weeks of a new routine to see results, especially for women.  And from personal experience, I've seen little progress on the scale, but good progress in the fit of my clothing. 

Last point, please be careful with cutting out too much food.  As Randi (and Cheri, who posted as I was writing!! *LOL*) mentioned, with training you may plateau because you're not taking in *enough* food.  I have a friend who did the double century bike - well, I should say she did half, because she had issues with nutrition and hydration and couldn't ride the second day because of it.  Even on training rides, we'd frequently have to convince her to eat MORE, but she was so afraid of gaining weight, she was shorting herself on vital fuel for riding and recovery.  I learned early on that if I didn't eat enough during and after a ride, I would crash hard afterwards (after one ride, I fell asleep in a lawnchair in the backyard, and woke to my son and my neighbor's daughter shaking me awake!

As far as breakfast before working out - try eating something low in fat, with a reasonable carb and protein content.  Banana w/peanut butter.  Whole grain toast with jam.  Oatmeal.  Yogurt w/ granola.  Something that's going to digest well, not too big, and won't spike your blood sugar.  Around 200 calories.  I like to eat about 30 min to an hour before I work out, in general, no matter when I'm getting my workout.  That way, I don't hit the wall midway through, but I'm not too stuffed to eat either.  And I try to re-fuel with something of the same volume, maybe a bit smaller, about 30 min to an hour afterwards.  I'm not losing a ton of weight, but I definitely have other bad habits in my eating day that are more likely culprits.  It doesn't matter what I eat before or after training if I'm still having a bowl of ice cream in front of the TV at night

Edited by maxpixie 2008-01-03 6:12 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MaXpiXie's Group - CLOSED and Motivated to Train!! :) Rss Feed  

of 10