BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marina & Bopper's Mah-velous Mentor Group - Closed & Kickin it hard! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-01-02 2:16 PM
in reply to: #1099933

User image

Chicago IL (via Vancouver Canada)
Subject: Mid morning run
You GO Spiritfire...i love mid morning runs. I used to go all the time, but my new job doesn't accomodate that. I hate running first thing in the AM. I feel it is too much for my body so early in the morning. Getting up and brushing my teeth is about all i can accomplish.

Next week I start the 6am swim on Monday mornings. We'll see how that goes.

Great to see you have a little more motivation to run today.

Salma

2008-01-02 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: Marina & Bopper's Mah-velous Mentor Group - Closed & Kickin it!
6 am swims - girl are you nuts? If I'm not working it's all I can do to get out my pj's by 10:00.

Ahhhhh the joys of shiftwork ... having all this time off in the middle of the week. ;-)

I DID run ... I DID ... wasn't all that motivated though. I just don't like running. I once heard a quote by some famous poet: "I don't like writing, but love that I've written" ... let's apply that to my running ... "I don't like running, but love that I've ran". That about suits me. lol
2008-01-02 4:22 PM
in reply to: #1128800

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

SpiritFire - 2008-01-02 1:49 PM  I once heard a quote by some famous poet: "I don't like writing, but love that I've written" ... let's apply that to my running ... "I don't like running, but love that I've ran". That about suits me. lol

Awesome quote! It's so hard to get to the gym, pool, or outside when our minds play games with us but then when the workout is done, it's like, what the heck was all that fuss about beforehand?

I apologize for being awol. Got a bit of the flu and home PC is wonky so until I get myself and my tech problems all fixed up, I won't be online as much as usual.

Oh yeah...happy new year!!

2008-01-02 4:37 PM
in reply to: #1128800

New user

Hey Everyone!

Happy Belated New Year.

Well like all of you, I decided that today was the day to get back on the exercise training. Well, I got up this morning to go for a run/walk and turned on the tv only to find out that it was -1 degrees outside. I have to admit, I crawled back in bed at 5:30 am and decided to go for a run after work. WEll, it is a high of 15 degrees outside right now.

I decided that tomorrow is going to be the day!!! I am starting my spinning class at 6 am. Any words of advice for someone who has NEVER taking a spinning class like this before!

Shannon
2008-01-02 5:42 PM
in reply to: #1129164

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-01-02 5:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
6 AM swims! I thought my planned 7:30 AM swims when school starts back up were early enough But it such a refreshing way to wake yourself up. Speaking of swimming... I got a latex swim cap it had a couple of care instructions, but not much. Any one got any tips on best use and keep up? How long before you should get a new one?

2008-01-02 7:21 PM

Master
Victoria, BC
Spin class - make sure you eat something good before you go! I can't tell you how many newbies I've seen fall off the bike at the end (I was one of them last year). It's a tough workout, don't underestimate it just because you're sitting down.

My news - I followed some advice and went out today and purchased myself a lovely little MP3 player! I am joining the 21st century. ;-)
I can't believe I waited this long to get one ... it's awesome! I spent the afternoon downloading like 200 songs and now I can't wait to get out there with it tomorrow! I doubted, I really seriously doubted, but already I can see how it will make a run go faster/easier.
2008-01-02 7:37 PM
in reply to: #1129494

2008-01-02 7:57 PM

Master
Victoria, BC
Weeeelll .. I did download Eye of the Tiger, and the Jamaican Bobsled Team Chant ... should keep me going. ;-)
2008-01-02 8:01 PM
in reply to: #1129494

New user

Bopper and SpiritFire:

Thanks so much about the advice about the spinning class. I'm really looking forward to taking one. It is a small class at the gym-about 6 bikes. I am hoping to be able to take the class on Mondays and Fridays mornings and swim on Tuesdays and Thursdays mornings. I just need to find a time frame to fit in the running.

I'm trying to eat healthy for breakfast. Does anyone make their own homemade protein shakes?

Thank you for all your help with the making this experience even better.

Bopper-i can kind of relate to the snow storm you are getting out east. It was crazy snow here in nebraska a few weeks ago.

Shannon
2008-01-02 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1129589

2008-01-02 11:56 PM

Congrats on the MP3 player Spirit. It's amazing how much fun downloading music is. I never used to run with an iPod and then I bought one before my 1/2 marathon. Wow, i couldn't believe the difference. I even programmed which songs come during which mile etc....it really makes me go faster. I don't usually use it unless im going more than 5miles outside. (not sure why) and i don't use it at the gym. My husband bought me a really cool holder for it while i run...its made by Nike and is fabric with velcro ...not sure what they are called, but i didn't like the plastic hard ones, so somehow he found this one..its cool.

For those of us that use one, what are your favourite running songs?? or favourite running type of music??

Shannon, Im so excited about your spin class. I need to take one soon and I am very nervous. Im totally procrastinating. Please let us know how it goes. How long does the torture last 45 min? 1hour? Im afraid my butt is going to hurt. It always does on the bike. I hurt my tailbone once skiing and it hurts on the bike. Why cant those seats be more comfortable on the stationary bikes?

MMMmmmm...protein shakes.. I like this topic. I have one every morning. Here is my recipe.

Chocolate Whey Protein powder (one scoop) I find one with low sugar.
1 organic banana
1 cup organic unsweetened soy milk (only brand I know that has 1g of sugar is Edensoy)
4 ice cubes
1 scoop organic yogurt plain low sugar.
1 tbsp flax seed oil
1 tbsp greens powder

Hit the blend button and pour into my new Rubbermaid tumbler (fits perfectly in my cup holder in the Honda). I drink it in the car instead of coffee. I cut out coffee over 6 years ago. I drink hot black brewed tea with sugar once I get to work. Im looking for one of those little portable blenders I can use at work for some fruit drinks at around 3pm before I start getting tired. That's when I crave chocolate or soda. It may feel like a bit of work in the beginning, but actually its faster than making a cup of coffee, and better for you.

Marina, hope you are feeling better, and I hope to hear more of your trip to Nova Scotia.

Im off, early to be and rise...

Salma

Edited by salma 2008-01-02 11:57 PM
2008-01-03 8:44 AM

New user

Okay...i'm a dork. I got up super early and headed off to the gym (22 minutes away) for my spinning class. To my surprise, I got the time wrong for Tuesdays and Thursdays, it was at 8 am. so, I'm going to be heading back tomororw since that is actually the day the class starts at 6 am.

So, i got back in my car and drove home. I did 2 miles in the gym and following it, I did a 45 minutes pilates dvd. I have to say, my body is a little exhausted this morning but it is a "GREAT" feeling. I do miss the way I used to feel after working out in the morning.

Have a great day everyone!!!

Shannon
2008-01-03 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1130354

2008-01-03 2:45 PM

Master
Victoria, BC
So is anyone else back to the old pressures of daily life, like I am? I guess the holidaze were a bit of a break, but now that it's officially over and back to regular life - I'm already exhausted! Too much to do, not nearly enough time to do it in. Am thinking that unless there's a miracle tonight, such as a maid and/or dogsitter miraculously showing up at my door, I'm not going to get in my workout today. Is housecleaning (MUCH needed, trust me) and schoolwork (due today!) more important? I'm struggling.
2008-01-03 6:56 PM
in reply to: #1131534

Veteran
Peabody MA
Ah yes back to the same old routine. I am a bit happy it's back. All the relitives have returned to their own digs and the wife and I are breathing a bit easier!

I actually scheduled my mornings and evenings in the goal section of my training log. This helps me to get all that needs to be done in the day done. You know, laundry, walking the dog, feeding the cats, bird........making time for the love of my life (my wife Bobbi). Almost seemed there was no time for training until I thought it out. We are up at 4:30 every morning and my wife is out the door at 5:30. The gym is just 2 miles down the road so it's easy for me to leave for the gym at the same time. Then it's back home to walk the dog and get ready for work, throw in a load of laundry, pick up and be at work by 8:00 AM.....as you said the daily presures of life. Guess I'm babbling, but I just wanted to let you know that scheduling out my workouts by the hours helps me, maybe it might help you.

JD

2008-01-03 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1131534

2008-01-03 8:51 PM

Master
Victoria, BC
My problem is that I can't organize any kind of a schedule - I'm a shiftworker, and unfortunately routine is just not a part of my life. It's a matter of fitting in a work-out where and when I can. I sit down every month and plan out the next month, what days I'm scheduled to work and what days I'm not, when my spin and yoga classes are, write out the entire month ... but it's sometimes tough to stick to because my schedule often changes at the last minute.
But - it's been working for me for 6 years, I expect it will continue to work. I just get so jealous of all you "normal" people. ;-)
2008-01-04 7:39 AM
in reply to: #1132479

Veteran
Peabody MA
SpiritFire...

Well, I guess normal is a subjective call.........

Don't get stressed about your training. I can empathize with your shift work as my wife is an EMT and her schedule can cause a bit of frustration in our relationship. But it is what it is. Neither Good nor Bad. You will find a way Grasshopper (am I showing my age now?).

One thing I did not schedule into my goals for this month were rest/recovery days. I have updated my schedule to have Friday as my rest day.

Bopper......Thanks for the suggestions on my running. I do have a new pair of shoes that I am using. In fact all the running you see in my log is on the new shoes. Asic 641. They are the 2008 model of what I have been using for the past couple years and they fit my foot well. I never had a pain in the hip before and I think I just pushed myself too hard that one evening. My hip seems to feel good today after the 4 mile run last night. I need to be aware of my gate and how my foot hits the pavement. I will check out my health insurance and see if they cover what you suggest. If the cost is manageable then I will do it, if not well, I will continue my current plan. Thanks!

JD
2008-01-04 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1132479

2008-01-04 11:46 AM

Master
Victoria, BC
Thanks all ... I was feeling a little overwhelmed yesterday with everything I need/needed to get done. Sometimes I worry I've taken on too much with work and school (2 schools, actually) and starting my own business and training, and now I've started dating again after having a very serious relationship end a few months ago ... but most of the time I feel just fine about it - I'm excited about my "new" life and new endeavors, and can't wait to get into the swing of things!
Thank you for being so supportive ... ;-)
I think the dating's gonna go though - just not quite ready for it.

tr

2008-01-04 12:19 PM

Master
Saskatchewan

Look at you guys...sharing and being all supportive. Great work group!

I finally caught up with the posts and looking at everyone's detailed goals and plans for this triathlon season. As I see it, we have three common goals:
1) Weight loss (except for a couple of us)
2) Build speed/endurance
3) Time management

That darned scale!! There is the weight loss forum here at BT, but perhaps we can have our own challenge? On a weekly basis, we set our healthy eating goals for that week and have a weigh-in (if you're comfortable). I know that I need all the support that I can get in this area. With some determination, patience and willpower (double dose of that for me please), we can do it!

A few questions related to nutrition:
What eating plans are you using?
Anyone doing Weight Watchers or something similar?
Are you counting calories? Calculating macronutrients like protein, carbs and fats?

Building speed and endurance is all part of how and why we train, along with improving form. One thing, that helps with my motivation is doing every workout with a purpose. Like today, I plan to swim and work on my form with specific drills. With the plan, it shouldn't be about putting in our time, but thinking about what we are trying to accomplish in that workout and in the end.

Time!!! Tri training isn't only about skills in swimmimg, biking and running, but perhaps more importantly about time management ability. TR and Salma...I totally admire the work you that you do and the tenacity take on school as well. And, those with families, I am impressed with how you can balance it all. Like Kevin said, a good motivator to go for that run or swim can be to release stress. I'm an 8 to 5er, but I take a little longer lunch hour to workout. It helps me break up the day and, especially at this time of year with the short days, get out of the office and into the daylight. I find that scheduling my workouts in my PDA helps alot...I know that at 5:30pm, after work, that I planned on running, so I better get out thwere and do it so I can put a checkmark beside that

Keep on trucking, team!!

Oh yeah, just a note on listening to music while running outside. This is a hotly debated topic when it pertains to running races but I've been an active opponent of this even in training because of safety issues. I've seen runners not hearing cyclists ring their bells or call out and then, startled, jump in the wrong direction in front of the bike.The same goes with being able to hear cars approaching and someone coming from behind who could be either a fellow runner or a bad guy. Just my two cents on the running music.

2008-01-04 2:50 PM

Master
Victoria, BC
Marina hope you are feeling better!

As for weekly nutritional goals: I think I do fairly well most days, however sometimes I find on my days off I don't eat properly and don't drink enough water (don't have a nicely packed lunch right beside me for convenience like I do at work). So my goals for this week will be to concentrate more on proper nutrition on days off - keep my food log more balanced every day.
And as a side note: I am almost done my diploma and designation program in Holistic Nutrition - so if anyone has any questions I am open to them.

Today I'm a bit disappointed as I was looking forward to a good strength training/intervals day in the gym, but forgot my workout sheets at home. But I'll switch out the run I was planning to do tomorrow for the strength training today. It all works out in the end. ;-)

tr

PS: Marina don't worry ... I will be mindful not to use my fancy new mp3 in places where it puts me in any harm ... I do most of my running on a series of chip/lake trails here where only foot traffic is allowed.

2008-01-04 4:44 PM

Hi All (welcome back Marnina)

I am on show site until Sunday and this when my eating just falls apart. Things get busy, exhibitors need stuff, freight gets lost, long long long hours ....and sometimes, no food (like today). All i ate was a protein bar and a yogurt. Now I'm starving. This is when my workouts get all whacked out.

Since I didnt eat well, when i get home I'm starving and will start eating crap food like bread, and then I dont feel like going to work out. Even if I eat a little, it usually isnt enough to fuel me on a good workout because my body is starved of nutrients and fuel. So far I've taken 2 days off training and that is going to kill my progress on the scale (all 2lbs of it...lol). I track my food and try to keep the meals nutritional. I balance out the carb/protein and fat content. Im amazed at how much fat I am eating sometimes. And I watch the vitamins and minerals - I supplement with folic acid, magensium, zinc, and niacin. It keeps my hair, and skin looking healthy (amongst other things I'm sure).

I wont stress it though, because on Monday I'm back to the office again, and school still hasnt started yet so I can get a good week in to make up.

I totally agree with Marina on the music. I only wear my iPod on long runs on the lake front path with other runners, and I stick to the gravel path (away from the cyclists) - please be careful - I saw a horrible accident once with a poor young lady getting hit by a car. Not good. I do see people riding their bikes with their headsets on. Then they cannot hear us say "on your left" and become a hazard. (not that I ever pass anyone). It is so stupid and an accident waiting to happen.

Someone mentioned insoles.....I spent about $300 on a pair in August and I love them. Yesterday I walked on the show floor all day with no insoles and my knee and hip were killing me when i got home. I highly recommend a gait, foot check up if you are having pain. I waited too long and suffered with shin splints, planter fercitus (sp) and all kinds of aches and pains. Im so impressed with my runs now, not much pain and great recovery. I attribute that to the insoles. Best money i've ever spent (next to the laser eye surgery...lol)

Well thanks for the kudo's on TR and I squeezing it all in. Like you TR, I feel sometimes I have bitten off more than I can chew. It's my high expectations. It has taken me over a year, but I finally am now comfortable with just doing it, and not stressing if I don't. I do what I can, when I can. My priorities change every day (if not every hour). Sometimes school comes first, other times it's the family, and sometimes it's all about me. Right now I"m just feeling good about having my health, my running legs, and my strong lungs. The rest will all fall into place (with a good plan of course).

Keep up the good work

Salma
2008-01-04 7:39 PM
in reply to: #1134617

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marina & Bopper's Mah-velous Mentor Group - Closed & Kickin it hard! Rss Feed  

of 14