BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-01-17 3:44 PM
in reply to: #1161187

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
Subject: RE: guncollector's group -- OPEN!

faeron - 2008-01-16 9:21 PM Hi, I've been following this forum thread and I would love to have you as my mentor and all of you as my mentor group if there's still room. My name's Faeron, I'm 22, about 5'8" and 145lbs, and I live and work in LA.

Hey, welcome aboard!

I'm completely new to triathlons, I just ran my first marathon in December (Honolulu) and really enjoyed it, which was a big step for me, I was not athletic in high school or college (I did band so I wouldn't have to do PE). Some of my marathon friends do tri's as well and I thought it would be a good challenge now that I've realized that I really can be (somewhat) athletic.

Stick around, and you'll be a veteran in no time.  If you have the discipline and endurance to finish a marathon, you've got what it takes to participate in tri's. 

I have some background in swimming

Great!  That's the biggest hurdle for most beginner triathletes, so you've already got one leg up on other newbies!

but I haven't ridden a bike in 7 or 8 years and I'm in the process of relearning it.

Don't worry, it'll come back like riding a bike.  Pardon the shameless pun.  Though, there's definitely a lot of "technique" involved, which we can give you pointers on.  Start by learning to spin at 90-100 rpms.  It may seem like you're just "spinning your wheels" at first, but you'll find that it is the most efficient cadence.  Efficiency leads to Endurance.

I usually run 3 times a week but I could really use some help figuring out how to get the swimming and riding in, how far I should go, etc.

Check out some of the Training Plans here on BT.  As you probably have a pretty good base from your Marathon, you might just pick-up with an Olympic Training Plan. 

Right now I think the bike is my weak event, but I'm sure I could do with some improvement all around and I know I'll need a lot of advice!

Start riding lots.  Ride as often and as much as you can.  Sometimes--especially at the beginning--its as simple as that.

BUT, be sure to get ye to a professional bike shop and get FITTED to your bike.  Spend the $75-100.  Nothing will turn you off faster or lead to possible injury than an improperly fitted bike.  And, "No", you won't know how to fit yourself to a bike.  In fact, the position the fitter gets you into may not feel comfortable at first (as your muscles adjust), but you'll be much better off in the long run.

Cheers! 

2008-01-17 3:47 PM
in reply to: #1161254

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
TriAya - 2008-01-17 1:29 AM

[brief hijack]

Faeron, you can't do better than Ron & Don and the rest of these fine fluffy fellows.

Donto--Faeron's my running partner, and you know all the stuff I post around here--you can only imagine the kind of patience and fortitude she has listening to all that carp for like, 20 miles.

Ron--thank you so much for doing a mentor group. Great topics in here and I will be lurking!

[/brief hijack]

Please, lurk on!  It'll be great to have your comments (and lady's perspective)!  

2008-01-17 10:31 PM
in reply to: #1106642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hi Ron,
Have you ever heard of a live blood test? It is supposed to test for compatibility of different food types with your body and help tell which ones from which you can derive the most benefit and which do your body the most harm for your "type" Just wondering. It is supposed to be especially helpful for people with weight issues (isn't that like 80% of everyone?) Anyway, food for thought. Also I started my "core" exercises today per your recommendation and they kicked my butt. Guess I still have a long way to go. (Which I knew anyway )
Thanks again for your help and encouragement.
Scott H
2008-01-17 10:43 PM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
Hey everybody. So my buddy and I are planning to spend some time this Sunday to do a LT run test. I have read the procedure in the Triathlete's Training Bible, but I was wondering if anybody else has done this test or has a different method that they liked? Any tips on doing this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott R
2008-01-18 7:15 AM

User image

Modesto, California
Thanks, I was going to ask the same thing. I have my new heart rate monitor and am now comfortable with all the settings, now I need to set up new chart for zones with heart rates.
2008-01-18 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1163200

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

TysDad - 2008-01-17 11:43 PM Hey everybody. So my buddy and I are planning to spend some time this Sunday to do a LT run test. I have read the procedure in the Triathlete's Training Bible, but I was wondering if anybody else has done this test or has a different method that they liked? Any tips on doing this would be appreciated. Thanks, Scott R

I'm not 100% on the TTB specifics, if it's like this one that most people on BT do, then just follow it. I've also used 5k's for this, rule of thumb is to use 95% of your 5k HR average, you just do a through warmup first like you do on the LT tests.

Oh, wherever you do it, make sure you do it again enxt time at the same location for best repeatablilty.  Also take note of the weather conditions, Temp, RH, wind and sun loading so that in the future you can tell if it had any effects.

Have fun and no puking, LOL!

Edited by Donto 2008-01-18 9:13 AM

2008-01-18 10:19 AM
in reply to: #1163186

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

holt1997 - 2008-01-17 8:31 PM Hi Ron, Have you ever heard of a live blood test? It is supposed to test for compatibility of different food types with your body and help tell which ones from which you can derive the most benefit and which do your body the most harm for your "type" Just wondering. It is supposed to be especially helpful for people with weight issues (isn't that like 80% of everyone?) Anyway, food for thought

No, I haven't heard of that test.  Let us know what you find out and if it works! 

Also I started my "core" exercises today per your recommendation and they kicked my butt. Guess I still have a long way to go. (Which I knew anyway

Yeah, the "core" stuff is tough--but supremely beneficial.  Good job!  I don't do nearly enough, mostly because I tend to allocated my limited time towards s/b/r vs. weights/strength. 

2008-01-18 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1163602

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
Donto - 2008-01-18 7:12 AM

TysDad - 2008-01-17 11:43 PM Hey everybody. So my buddy and I are planning to spend some time this Sunday to do a LT run test. I have read the procedure in the Triathlete's Training Bible, but I was wondering if anybody else has done this test or has a different method that they liked? Any tips on doing this would be appreciated. Thanks, Scott R

I'm not 100% on the TTB specifics, if it's like this one that most people on BT do, then just follow it. I've also used 5k's for this, rule of thumb is to use 95% of your 5k HR average, you just do a through warmup first like you do on the LT tests.

Oh, wherever you do it, make sure you do it again enxt time at the same location for best repeatablilty.  Also take note of the weather conditions, Temp, RH, wind and sun loading so that in the future you can tell if it had any effects.

Have fun and no puking, LOL!

Thanks Don. I have seen this posted on BT and thought it might be a good option. I may try both of these with a few weeks inbetween just to see which one I feel is more accurate. I have read that conditions will affect all types of LT tests, so I will note everything from food before to conditions during. Thanks again and I will let everybody know what I did and how I did it.

Scott R
2008-01-18 11:34 AM

User image

Modesto, California
When I go on long rides, should I focus on speed,heartrate,pedal effiency, or all of these and then some? I have been doing intervals and drills on my shorter rides, just too many things to think about when grinding out longer rides, including alertness for stray farm dogs that like to lunge at me. I want to be sure I'm not doing junk miles.
2008-01-18 1:24 PM

Hi, Are you still open. I see you have serveral folks you are working with. I would fit in because I am just a little older than you and I may be able to stay in your groups draft.

I really like triathlon but was injured at the start of my second season. I have learned to take care better care of my muscles and I think I am ready to go again. I think I had a IT band problem but it never showed all the signs of being a IT band issue.

I really want to be good about my training and recovery and I think some people watching me may help. I have that type A personality so I may need to be reminded to relax and stretch some.

Scott
2008-01-18 1:58 PM
in reply to: #1164041

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

nevergivin - 2008-01-18 12:34 PM When I go on long rides, should I focus on speed,heartrate,pedal effiency, or all of these and then some? I have been doing intervals and drills on my shorter rides, just too many things to think about when grinding out longer rides, including alertness for stray farm dogs that like to lunge at me. I want to be sure I'm not doing junk miles.

I look at my cadence to make sure I'm in my optimal range of 95-103, the rest of it is just T.I.T.S. (Time In The Saddle).  HR depends on the effort, since I have a wireless CPU on the bike the HR/CPU interfere with one another and I don't wear it much, so I judge effort by RPE (rate of perceived effort) and work to stay in the 5-6 range or Z2 for HR, unless I'm trying hard to catch a light!  I stay in the small chain ring up front for the most part and work the gears, that's good for up to 21mph. 

Long duration training during is meant to develop the capillary system but needs to be done at lower intensities.  Speed will come naturally as your system develops.  Sure I go through phases during my ride, some slower cadence builds, some higher cadence spins, some work on doing pulls, but mostly just enjoying the ride and sweating!

Junk miles = going too hard in the base phase.  Work on race pace stuff as it gets closer to the race in the peak phase or when doing the LT test.

Oh, I recall an article in one of the Tri mag's in 06 about pedaling and drills.  It said pedaling often gets too technical for people as they start riding and are hit with all this "training" information.  In the end it said when your cadence is above 95 there is not enough time for your brain to process all the information and nirvana comes when you just start pumping your knees up and down and it all comes together for you like when you were a kid!  That is so true, next time your out riding and your pedalling, just focus on your knees pumping up and down, that's all you need to do!

RPE Zone HR Zone Description
0 Z1 Complete Rest
1 Z1 Very easy; light walking
2 Z1 Very easy; light walking
3 Z1 Very easy; walking
4 Z1 Still easy, maybe starting to sweat
5 Z2 Starting to work just a little and you can feel your HR rise
6 Z2 Upper Working but sustainable, able to talk in full sentences
7 Z3 Strong effort; breathing labored, but can still maintain pace for some minutes without slowing
8 Z4 Olympic Distance Race Pace for MOP to FOP
9 Z5 10k effort – very hard
10 Z5+ Z5+ = 5k effort and Z5++ = cannot hold effort for more than a minute or two. (almost maximal effort

2008-01-18 3:25 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Thanks -I feel a little better with my efforts so far this month now, I've been aiming for RPE six for the majority of my training, I'm really aiming for high Zone 2. Last year out of Ignorance I trained mostly in RPE 8-9. I don't average 21 MPH, but I do the pumping of the legs and then I move up and down gears to keep lactic acid in check. I'm using a triple by the way on my road bike, I guess it should help with my first race going over the hills. I'm not technical enough to change my gearing yet, so I'm not messing with it for now. I guess I just need to relax more and enjoy the sweat! Thanks again!
2008-01-18 3:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hey Ron and group,
I have been reading a lot and following conversations etc and wondering if I am making this a little too complex (Or not complex enough) and where do I draw the line on doing enough. Obviously I think it is important to swim, bike and run in a pattern with emphasis on technique and also just putting in distance that will prep me for the race. But I also see the heart rate monitors, zones, tests, foods, weights and core workouts and I am trying to figure out where to draw the line. Obviously time is a factor with four kids and a wife at home. SO I guess my question is "how much is enough?"
Thans for the insight,
Scott H
2008-01-18 4:38 PM
in reply to: #1164724

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

holt1997 - 2008-01-18 4:55 PM Hey Ron and group, I have been reading a lot and following conversations etc and wondering if I am making this a little too complex (Or not complex enough) and where do I draw the line on doing enough. Obviously I think it is important to swim, bike and run in a pattern with emphasis on technique and also just putting in distance that will prep me for the race. But I also see the heart rate monitors, zones, tests, foods, weights and core workouts and I am trying to figure out where to draw the line. Obviously time is a factor with four kids and a wife at home. SO I guess my question is "how much is enough?" Thans for the insight, Scott H

Don't worry, it's only natural to want to learn what is new and strange, after awhile it'll all come together for you.  I recall fondly learning about pedal cadence and said "oh it works", learning about pedal rate & the brick run stride rate, learning about HR zone and then the correlation to RPE, learning about Base-Build-Peak phases, learning about different types of taper, meaning of endurance nutrition, etc...  After while it becomes simpler, I don't need a HRM these days to know how hard I'm pushing it and take my gels/powerbars/fluids as needed without thought.

When I decided 2 years ago to focus on getting serious about doing a long training plan I first had to know how much time I would have per week.  Family and a demanding job (co-partner) meant I realistically had a max of 9-11 hrs per week and worked with that.   As I stated in a previous post, I had to shift my training priorities as I started putting in more time into endurance.  I can vividly recall my first 5 mile/50min run in Dec 05, 9 months later I was doing 2 hr runs/3 hr rides in prep for a HIM, 14 months later doing a 10k in 7:23 pace, the ebb and flow of training was the only constant!

2008-01-18 4:40 PM

User image

Modesto, California
My explanation may seem kind of weird so I will get it over with. I look at each training day as a challenge with specific goals in mind. Race days are strictly for fun, so the more challenging or goals I achieve during training the more fun my races are. I do also enjoy learning from others at BT so communicating to me is fun also. 2 Hours of training 5x a week and its back to the real world for me. I really enjoy triathlons, I would much rather do this than say smoke cigarettes, after 22 years of 1-hard pack a day I am smoke free 8 Mos. Everyones goals and time available are different.
2008-01-18 6:55 PM
in reply to: #1164724

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

holt1997 - 2008-01-18 1:55 PM Hey Ron and group, I have been reading a lot and following conversations etc and wondering if I am making this a little too complex (Or not complex enough) and where do I draw the line on doing enough. Obviously I think it is important to swim, bike and run in a pattern with emphasis on technique and also just putting in distance that will prep me for the race. But I also see the heart rate monitors, zones, tests, foods, weights and core workouts and I am trying to figure out where to draw the line. Obviously time is a factor with four kids and a wife at home. SO I guess my question is "how much is enough?" Thans for the insight, Scott H

Y'know, it is very easy to over-complicate and over-analyze in this crazy sport.

I've said it before, and say it again:  Lady's Kona champ, Chrissie Wellington, doesn't even own an HRM.  That says volumes.

Occasionally, its great to just swim, bike, or run without all the toys...honestly.  Remember to ENJOY yourself, or your love for this sport will be short-lived.

2008-01-18 7:03 PM
in reply to: #1164372

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

dtb - 2008-01-18 11:24 AM Hi, Are you still open. I see you have serveral folks you are working with. I would fit in because I am just a little older than you and I may be able to stay in your groups draft. I really like triathlon but was injured at the start of my second season. I have learned to take care better care of my muscles and I think I am ready to go again. I think I had a IT band problem but it never showed all the signs of being a IT band issue. I really want to be good about my training and recovery and I think some people watching me may help.

Welcome aboard, Scott (No. 3)! 

I have that type A personality so I may need to be reminded to relax and stretch some. Scott

True Type-A behavior is not always a plus in triathlon...because results do not come fast in this sport.  And, if you don't learn to incorporate rest & recovery, you're simply an ticking injury time-bomb.  (Note: I had a real problem with rest and recovery, but have learned the empirical benefits--though its still psychologically stressful [how whacky is that--that rest and recovery is a stressful time?!])

True Type-B probably doesn't have the inclination towards the regimen required for this sport.

I think the most successful triathletes probably have Type-AB mixed profile.

Stick around and hopefully we can get you through this Season in good form--and healthy! 

2008-01-18 10:51 PM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
Welcome Scott #3.

Do you have any races planned for this year yet? My first of the year will be my first attempt at an Oly distance race. It will be at the end of April. The goal I have set mentally is to finish just under 3 hours. This question is for the whole group. From what you have seen in my logs and the bits of info I have posted, do you think this is possible? If you need more info I will be happy to post it. I know it can be difficult to predict race times, but any thoughts on how I should progress and target my training would be a huge help.

Thanks,

Scott R (#2)
2008-01-18 10:55 PM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
Ron,

I noticed to you race log and posting that you completed the shortened Treasure Island Sprint last year. Did you have a bike computer or GPS device that may have verified the actual bike distance? My results from the same race say I averaged 21 mph on the bike. I feel this is a little too fast. Might the course have been shorter than the posted distance? Thanks for your thoughts.

Scott R
2008-01-18 11:04 PM

Subject: In the group so far
Hello group,

So there is Ron our group Mentor who is from San Francisco.

His Mentees are;

Jeremy, A Paramedic / Firefighter from Michigan** Jeremy we are all praying for your Mom**

Laura, a teacher

Tony, who needs to tell us more about himself

Jim, a rockin LEO

Scott R and Scott B and Scott H

Stuart from Modesto I am trying to get to Wildflower as well

Donto from FLA.

Matthew from New Jersey

Faeron

Arsiyanti

Good Luck, stay safe on the roads wash your hands often so you don't get sick

2008-01-19 2:12 AM
in reply to: #1165197

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: In the group so far

dtb - 2008-01-18 9:04 PM Hello group, So there is Ron our group Mentor who is from San Francisco. His Mentees are; Jeremy, A Paramedic / Firefighter from Michigan** Jeremy we are all praying for your Mom** Laura, a teacher Tony, who needs to tell us more about himself Jim, a rockin LEO Scott R and Scott B and Scott H Stuart from Modesto I am trying to get to Wildflower as well Donto from FLA. Matthew from New Jersey Faeron Arsiyanti Good Luck, stay safe on the roads wash your hands often so you don't get sick

Yay, I got adopted! Hi everyone--I'll just be popping in from time to time because of the awesome peeps and thoughts going on around here--

Jeremy, read your post about your mother--what a painful time for you. I can only imagine how difficult it is to be nearing the end of this journey. My own Dad is bedridden at this time, although he may have a few months yet. My warmest thoughts and prayers for your family.

2008-01-19 10:05 AM

User image

Modesto, California

Huge setback on my planned run last night. Monday run was tough, Wednesday's run was very difficult on my joints and cut short, last night was impossible and walked off the track. I am starting to doubt if I will ever get this running thing, so now I am going to Ice all weekend and start out slowly again. Mistakes made most recently include, not stretching, changing shoes, too many runs on track, ten pound weight gain from off season( as of this week I have lost all ten plus two). There was a 2 month period during Dec and November when I ran and my knees did not get sore and I felt like something clicked, now its back to the same thing I had to go thru last season, sore tendons in hips and sore knees on the inside middle part(both knees). I have been told by the last run coach that I am an under pronator(supinator) I am wondering if I should be looking into orthotics.

I think I need more friendly runner advice from you guys!

2008-01-19 10:09 AM
in reply to: #1165188

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

TysDad - 2008-01-18 8:55 PM Ron, I noticed to you race log and posting that you completed the shortened Treasure Island Sprint last year. Did you have a bike computer or GPS device that may have verified the actual bike distance?

My Powertap registered only 10.41 mi. (20mph avg), but then again I think I forgot to start my computer right away.  So, I'm not sure.

The TriCalifornia Results page shows my bike split as 33:09 (22.4mph avg).  Based on this result, by my math: 22.4mph x .5525 hr = 12.38 mi.  Close enough I'd say to 12.42 mi.  Then again, their result is based on the reported distance and doesn't verify the true course distance.

I do know that I was redlining that race, and that even avg'ing 20mph over the lousy roads and criterium-style course (lost my waterbottle on the first lap, and didn't even notice it launching off my bike) may in fact in retrospect been on the reckless side considering the number of newbie riders on the course--esp. going into the corners. 

Anyways, it was hard to get up to speed for very long, as there were so many turns, and that one long straightaway on the east side of the island was riding straight into the wind... 

My results from the same race say I averaged 21 mph on the bike. I feel this is a little too fast. Might the course have been shorter than the posted distance? Thanks for your thoughts. Scott R

Its not uncommon for courses to be a bit off in recognition of real-world circumstances--street closures, construction, safety, etc.

2008-01-19 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1165400

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
nevergivin - 2008-01-19 8:05 AM

Huge setback on my planned run last night. Monday run was tough, Wednesday's run was very difficult on my joints and cut short, last night was impossible and walked off the track. I am starting to doubt if I will ever get this running thing, so now I am going to Ice all weekend and start out slowly again.

Stuart, sorry to hear that. 

Mistakes made most recently include,

Let's take these one-by-one...

not stretching,

Not good, but not a deal breaker.   

changing shoes,

Might this be the culprit?  Did you change to new shoes of the same make/model?  Or to a new one altogether?   

too many runs on track,

Actually, the track is probably the best place to run...surface-wise.  Is it possible you're intensity is too high? Just a thought.  

ten pound weight gain from off season( as of this week I have lost all ten plus two).  There was a 2 month period during Dec and November when I ran and my knees did not get sore and I felt like something clicked, now its back to the same thing I had to go thru last season, sore tendons in hips and sore knees on the inside middle part(both knees). I have been told by the last run coach that I am an under pronator(supinator) I am wondering if I should be looking into orthotics.

Have you tried any of the Superfeet aftermarket insoles?  I use them almost exclusively.  You might also consider custom orthotics.

I think I need more friendly runner advice from you guys!

It is really hard to diagnose running injury issues via cyberspace.  But, I tried giving you the best general advice above.

But, I think Wednesday's "cut-short" run was a good indicator that your body is adjusting to your run schedule.  I know its a bit demoralizing to be unable to train on schedule....but perhaps your body is only ready for twice a week runs (at this time)?

I spent the better part of my first year running only twice/week....Tues & Thurs. mornings.  Yup, that's it.  Granted, they were long runs of 12-14K each...but I worked up to them slowly.  

2008-01-19 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1165420

User image

Modesto, California

changing shoes,

Might this be the culprit?  Did you change to new shoes of the same make/model?  Or to a new one altogether?  

Yes,new shoe,I rotate shoes, they are all neutral +, I feel like I need to keep some kind of log so that I can track all my run stuff. Its sure not at all like jumping on a bike and pedaling 50 miles. 

ten pound weight gain from off season( as of this week I have lost all ten plus two).  There was a 2 month period during Dec and November when I ran and my knees did not get sore and I felt like something clicked, now its back to the same thing I had to go thru last season, sore tendons in hips and sore knees on the inside middle part(both knees). I have been told by the last run coach that I am an under pronator(supinator) I am wondering if I should be looking into orthotics.

Have you tried any of the Superfeet aftermarket insoles?  I use them almost exclusively.  You might also consider custom orthotics.

I used the green superfoot inserts recommended for high arches, did not seem to help so I removed them to add more cushion, those things are rigid. I am going to 86 these shoes and see what happens next week, maybe even use a eliptical. I did not want to use one of those things this year. I will see how it goes on Monday, I will do a light stretch after my swim and try to get in three miles then finish with a light stretch, probably same thing on friday and try to build up 2x longer runs close to what you did, I have been under the impression that you should train your weakness and that is what Ive been trying to do. I will go back to inserts and use my other shoes .

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 15