BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-02-06 5:37 AM
in reply to: #1196397

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Manatee Express Mentor Group - Full
Under the forum tab there is a topic called challenges. Click in there and look for monthly challenges. They usually start on the beginning of the month so you may be to late for this month. The challenges used to be sport specific but now they are making some where you can pick your sport. You get assigned a team and you set your own goals. Your teammates will be watching your progress via your logs and encouraging you to make your goal. The upside is additional accountability to your team.

It comes down to setting specific goals and then going after them.

2008-02-08 7:10 AM
in reply to: #1116072

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Everyone, I need some run training advice (please?).  I think I mentioned that I'm training for a half marathon in early March, but that I had a bad January because of travel.  So now I'm struggling with playing catch up -- trying to get the miles in and regain my fitness.  I'm not having a problem doing the miles.  Instead, I'm noticing that my HR is higher than it used to be at the pace I previously trained at.  So, should I be slowing down my pace to keep my HR down, or continue to run at the pace I know I can?

Thanks!

2008-02-09 7:10 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Hey Chip, I see you joined the challenge and you got put in my group.  The constant posting is a bit overwhelming, isn't it?  But they are definitely doing a lot of running too!

2008-02-10 5:47 AM
in reply to: #1200537

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Sledge - 2008-02-08 7:10 AM

Everyone, I need some run training advice (please?).  I think I mentioned that I'm training for a half marathon in early March, but that I had a bad January because of travel.  So now I'm struggling with playing catch up -- trying to get the miles in and regain my fitness.  I'm not having a problem doing the miles.  Instead, I'm noticing that my HR is higher than it used to be at the pace I previously trained at.  So, should I be slowing down my pace to keep my HR down, or continue to run at the pace I know I can?

Thanks!

[/QUOTE

Hard to get in your place on this one. 73 miles running is a monster month for me, but I will give it a shot. How far out of line is your HR? My guess is that its on your long run and its zone 2 or low zone 3. If its higher than that, then slow down a little otherwise just keep it where it it. I think you did 9 minute miles on that last long run and your race pace for your PR half mary was 8:50. Sounds like you are still in pretty good form. You look like you are starting to put some speed work in and that will show up in your long runs too. Remember not to overdue the speedwork, got recover from speedwork to reap the benefits.
2008-02-10 5:59 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Something else to start thinking about!

Race preparation -

Not something thats immenent but when I race I try to have a plan for my race and walk through it in my mind. Alot of times, something happens on the course and you have to adapt but having a plan up front helps. An example that is often overlooked in the beginning is nutrition and hydration. I am training to do a half marathon in 3 weeks so on yesterdays run I did somethings a little different than my recent long runs to help get ready for the race. First, I ran at close to my planned pace and secondly I practiced my nutrition. I expect I will be out there 2 hours and 20 minutes and nutrition starts to come an issue for me after an hour. I like to carry my own water on the course, that way you don't have to deal with the crowds at the water stops unless you need a refill. I use an Amphipod (water bottle with a strap and sports cap) for water and I brought a apple cinnamon carboom (gue) and some shot blocks (big gummy bears) for the run. Testing nutrition is important because if your stomach doesn't like something than it could screw up your day. I have a lot of practice at this but since I haven't raced long in a year I thought practice was a good idea. I took the gue after 1 hour and took a couple shot blocks at 1:20. What I learned is that I probably should take the gue a little earlier and that shot blocks are hard to get down running. I probably already knew this but I haven't done it in a while so it was a good refresher.

I will finalize my nutrition plan for this race and post it later.

For races under 1 hour, I tend to only focus on hydration but the longer the race the bigger the issue.

Thoughts, questions?
2008-02-10 7:46 AM
in reply to: #1203452

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Manatee Express - 2008-02-10 5:47 AM
Hard to get in your place on this one. 73 miles running is a monster month for me, but I will give it a shot. How far out of line is your HR? My guess is that its on your long run and its zone 2 or low zone 3. If its higher than that, then slow down a little otherwise just keep it where it it. I think you did 9 minute miles on that last long run and your race pace for your PR half mary was 8:50. Sounds like you are still in pretty good form. You look like you are starting to put some speed work in and that will show up in your long runs too. Remember not to overdue the speedwork, got recover from speedwork to reap the benefits.

Thanks Ken.  I'm a little confused, though.  Were you looking at my 5 1/2 mile run as a long run?  Because I did do 9 minutes for that one, but some of that was at race pace.  My last long run was Saturday a week ago, and I kept that at about a 10 minute pace.  My HR was in mid zone 3 (remember I'm an old fart so my numbers should be lower) most of the run, and crept into zone 4 at the end of the run. 

Anyway, very soon here I'm going to go out for a long run, and the plan is to keep my HR down no matter how slowly I have to run.  We'll see how that goes.  I'm expecting to be disappointed though.

And thanks for the reminder on the speedwork recovery.  I tend to overdo, despite knowing better.

2008-02-10 7:53 AM
in reply to: #1203455

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Manatee Express - 2008-02-10 5:59 AM Something else to start thinking about! Race preparation - Not something thats immenent but when I race I try to have a plan for my race and walk through it in my mind. Alot of times, something happens on the course and you have to adapt but having a plan up front helps. An example that is often overlooked in the beginning is nutrition and hydration. I am training to do a half marathon in 3 weeks so on yesterdays run I did somethings a little different than my recent long runs to help get ready for the race. First, I ran at close to my planned pace and secondly I practiced my nutrition. I expect I will be out there 2 hours and 20 minutes and nutrition starts to come an issue for me after an hour. I like to carry my own water on the course, that way you don't have to deal with the crowds at the water stops unless you need a refill. I use an Amphipod (water bottle with a strap and sports cap) for water and I brought a apple cinnamon carboom (gue) and some shot blocks (big gummy bears) for the run. Testing nutrition is important because if your stomach doesn't like something than it could screw up your day. I have a lot of practice at this but since I haven't raced long in a year I thought practice was a good idea. I took the gue after 1 hour and took a couple shot blocks at 1:20. What I learned is that I probably should take the gue a little earlier and that shot blocks are hard to get down running. I probably already knew this but I haven't done it in a while so it was a good refresher. I will finalize my nutrition plan for this race and post it later. For races under 1 hour, I tend to only focus on hydration but the longer the race the bigger the issue. Thoughts, questions?

I'm a very bad example for nutrition and hydration.  I choke on water during a race!  My plan is to be well hydrated before the race, and I rarely take anything at all during the race.  That has worked well for me, but I surely wouldn't recommend it for anyone else.  And I haven't raced anything much beyond two hours, so this is probably not a good plan for longer activities.

2008-02-10 8:06 PM
in reply to: #1203489

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Sledge - 2008-02-10 7:53 AM

>I'm a very bad example for nutrition and hydration.  I choke on water during a race!  My plan is to be well hydrated before the race, and I rarely take anything at all during the race.  That has worked well for me, but I surely wouldn't recommend it for anyone else.  And I haven't raced anything much beyond two hours, so this is probably not a good plan for longer activities.

Wow, thats amazing and I think we need to work on that. I can see it in a 5k or 10k but you gotta be losing energy in a half mary. Do you drink on the bike? When you get into Olympic Distance races you are gonna need nutrition and hydration. Have you ever tried a sports bottle with a cap that controls the flow?
2008-02-11 5:37 AM
in reply to: #1204143

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Manatee Express - 2008-02-10 8:06 PM
Wow, thats amazing and I think we need to work on that. I can see it in a 5k or 10k but you gotta be losing energy in a half mary. Do you drink on the bike? When you get into Olympic Distance races you are gonna need nutrition and hydration. Have you ever tried a sports bottle with a cap that controls the flow?

I know it's a bad thing.  By the end of a half mary I am pretty parched.  In fact, at the one in November at the finish line they were out of water!  I downed a Pepsi immediately (and I never drink full calorie soda).

I haven't had much experience racing on a bike (just the two tris last year and the duathlon).  During the tris I drank during transition.  During training I drink when I stop, plus for longer distances I use a camelback. 

So the real problem is hydration during long runs, including training.  Maybe I should force myself to stop and drink?

2008-02-11 11:09 PM
in reply to: #1202596

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY
I have a little bit of running to catch up on to keep up with you guys.  I put in a couple of quick hard miles today and will try to do a LSR tomorrow or on Wednesday.  It might be Wednesday as the knees are a little tender from the run today.  I guess that is what I get for running in the sand and not being used to it.
2008-02-11 11:57 PM

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Sledge,

I am having a heck of a time trying to post my miles to our challenge group.  Please help as I thought that I was a bit computer savy but obviously not.  A quick PM or email to [email protected] would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks. 

2008-02-17 7:46 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Another pretty good week except for the bike. I had to travel Monday and took off Tuesday but I was due an off day. 2 swims, 1 bike, 4 runs including a race. Swimming is progressing. Most of my improvement seems to come from fitness, I work on form alot but fitness is where I seem to improve. Bike was lousy again, bad weather and a run race on Saturday made distance difficult. Run was good this week. My race Saturday was alot of fun and I got 3rd in my age group. I rarely win an award, so I was real happy with it. I was 11 seconds off my PR and I attribute that to my weight which is moving in the right direction.

My wife decided she wanted to race the New Orleans half marathon next weekend rather than the Seaside race we had planned 2 weeks out. We did another long run because we hadn't crossed 10 miles this year and thats usually how far we run b4 a half. That means a very short taper.

This will be an easy week in prep for the race and its a busy work week. I will swim Monday and Wednesday and tri to fit in a short run Tues and Thur. Maybe a bike in New Orleans on Saturday.

How bout you guys?
2008-02-17 10:05 PM
in reply to: #1217356

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

A so-so week for me.  Running was good (4 times), but my LSD on Sunday was pretty disappointing.  A few bikes, including one actually on the road (YEAH!).  No swims yet...  hopefully that will change after the Seaside HM.

And speaking of the Seaside HM -- Ken, I'm so sorry you won't be there!  I understand why, but still I was looking forward to seeing you guys again.  Hopefully at the Mullet Man Tri (and it's ok that girls do the Mullet "Man", right?).

2008-02-17 10:08 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Can we talk about wet suits vs. not?  Ken, I was reading your race report from Mullet Man last year, and it seems like you were having a discussion right before the race on whether to wear one or not.  What factors into your decision making? 

Being a novice triathlon competitor, I haven't ever been faced with that question.  And I'm a wimp when it comes to cold water...

2008-02-18 7:00 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Wetsuits, what a fun topic they are.

I raced 3 years without having one and in 2004 after doing my first half ironman I decided it was time. In that race, I think there were maybe 20 of us out of 1600 that didn't have a wetsuit.

There are several advantages to wetsuits and for me the one that matters most is flotation. You can put on a triathlon wetsuit and jump in 100 feet of water and you float. Its amazing, you can just stand in water with your hands in front of you and you don't sink. Another advantage is that its warmer, but the real advantage is flotation. When you swim, your but tries to sink which creates more drag and makes you swim slower. With a wetsuit, your but rises and you go faster for the same amount of effort.

What are the disadantages to a wetsuit? Its warm, some folks get hot and that bothers them. This is also regulated by USAT rules and if the water temp is over 78 degreees, wet suits aren't allowed. The other issue with wetsuits is taking them off. Its tedious and it probably takes an extra 30 seconds to a minute to get them off. In Ironman races and some other big events, they actually have wet suit strippers to take them off. You just climb out of the water and flop on the ground and they pull the wetsuit off you. In races without strippers (most races) you gotta do it yourself. Cost is the other issue in deciding on whether you want a wetsuit. I paid $240 for mine and that was hard for me to justify given the number of races and the water temperture. By mid may, the water in the gulf and area bays is usually above 78. You can also rent one but I imagine that would be a pain.

How do you decide if you want to wear one or not:

1. Water Temperature, if the water temp is over 78 its not an option. If its under 70, it sure feels alot warmer.
2. Race distance - The longer the race the more time and energy the wetsuit saves you. I have used 800 yards as my cutoff in the past and will probably stick to that. The effort to put on and take off the wetsuit in a 400 yard race is not worth it but my wife thinks it is.
3. Confidence in the water - if your not a confident swimmer, the extra floatation is good for confidenc.

ask questions?
2008-02-19 11:55 AM
in reply to: #1219218

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Thanks for the thoughts on wetsuits.  I know it seems like a funny question from a Floridian. 

Does USAT have particular types of wetsuits that are authorized?  For example, my husband has a shorty wetsuit he used for water skiing.  Not that it would fit me, but it seems that one like that might be easier to get off.

Unrelated to my question above -- I'm a big wimp when it comes to cold water.  I did a search on gulf temps in April, and it looks like around 70 for the Mullet Man.  That sounds cold to me.  Did your wife wear a wetsuit last year?

2008-02-19 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
I don't think there are any rules you need to be aware of for wetsuits and have seen people wearing just what you described.

I actually talked to Marcy after posting last night and like you she has problems with the cold water. She says that in a short race, she doesn't thaw out. She wore a wetsuit in mullet man last year.
2008-02-19 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1217356

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Ken & Gang,

Last week was good for me - I am def noticing a difference in my runs - I have alot more left in me at around 3 miles now - this base building plan is really working!!  Swimming is coming along and I am getting better on my breathing and stroke as well.  Bike - I need to get some actual road time next month - the stationary bike is good, but I need to get out on the road and get some real riding in.  Overall - I see improvement in all my training - the base building in really payin off and I feel like time my 1st race comes round ( March 29th ) then I will be ready.

papa  :-)

2008-02-19 7:37 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Rusty,

Super job with consistency and working the HR gig. You are gonna give gygy a run for her money and ya'll will have lots of fun.
2008-02-20 2:20 PM
in reply to: #1222070

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Ken,

Well - we shall see!!  I may give her a run for the money but in the long haul she is gonna smoke me!! LOL.  I dunno - she has been not gettin in as much training as she likes because of school but she will do just fine...she is a vet and knows what it takes to get to the finish.  When we trained last year ( and I mostly rode bikes with her...that's about it for me back then! ) she was always running out in front of me towards the end of the ride...cause she knows what it means to pace and build a solid base - so you can endure.  I was just ridin....no thought or training about it back then...so..in light of the fact I have been training for this race it will be interesting to see the difference...and hopefully ...noted improvement!  Never-the-less - it will be fun and I am lookin forward to crossin that finish line with a smile on my face and someone waitin to hand me a beer at the end!!  LOL...they had a beer stand at Latta last year!!  I was like - wanna get a quick buzz...just chug a beer after your race.....  hehe....  GyGy almost got one then she decided...nah..I need to just hydrate....me..I will be lookin for he beer stand!!  Celebrate!!

Cheers! 

2008-02-20 5:20 PM

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Rusty,

Way to stick with it.  Last week was better but I was away on travel and the base in California had a broken pool.  Needless to say that for a week,  I did not take my bike but that is the least of my concerns in the three disciplines.  I got in a couple of runs at altitude so that was a little bit unique as I was not able to control my heart rate like I am able to at sea level.  Any thoughts on that one other than the fact that there is less oxygen in the air?  Getting back in the pool this week and doing some ride specific training and keeping the distances somewhat shorter to focus on speed.  The first tri of the season is a little less than a month away.  Best of luck to all.

2008-02-20 7:03 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Got a big race Sunday. Mardi Gras Half Marathon in New Orleans. Not an A Race but its a long one and I would like to make a target that I missed last year by 17 seconds. I have done 4 stand alone half marathons and I have always improved and this one will be a challenge. We switched races so we are doing it a week earlier and consequently I forced a long run Sunday so I have very little taper for my ankle to recover. Anytime I race over an hour and a half I try to make a pacing and HR plan. I am sharing the plan to show you how it works.

My plan is to go out at a 10:35 pace as long as I can keep the HR under 145 for the first 5 miles. From 5 to 10, stay in the low 150's and try to pick up pace a little. Once I cross 10 miles, I will push the HR and pace and try to make it the fastest 5k of the race. I will eat a bagel for breakfast 3 hours before the race. My nutrition plan is to carry my water and 3 gu's. I will take a gue at 45 minutes, 1:20 and if I need it at 2 hours. Mostly drink water but maybe some gatorade on the course.

My goal time is 2:18:06. That would be a 10 minute improvement over my first half marathon in 2004 and a 2 minute and 6 second improvement over last year's race in Pensacola. This course is flatter and I have raced it twice.

Lets see how close I come to racing my plan!
2008-02-20 7:18 PM

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Ken,

Good luck with the race.  I have used a saying over the years in the military and it is " If you fail to plan then you plan to fail" and it looks like you have a solid plan in place.  I will have to say that I am horrible when it comes to planning out my endurance events as I never thought of it as a requirement.  Since I have done a couple of long bike rides I have definitely worked out a nutrition plan for the bike but have not done as much planning for the run.  Hydration on the run never seems to be a problem as I try to take in fluids, water or a  sports drink, every 10 minutes or so depending on my sweat rate but I have never worked nutrition into my run.  Definitely something that I am going to work on in the future.  Is this a necessity for an Olympic distance as I will definitely fuel up and hydrate on the bike portion?  Just curious as I don't see it as a necessity on the shorter Sprint events as I am finished in less than 90 minutes normally.  Thanks for any advice that you have.

2008-02-20 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1224587

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Chap,

As for the running at altitude - you gotta factor in a couple of things - depending on where you were, the farther your up above sea level - the less O's you got going in.  Another is just simple weather-man stuff like barometric pressure and humidity.  Same applies -  folks that train in higher elavations will be crankin in lowers cause their bodies are conditioned in to use less oxygen  - you put them in a hi oxygen place and they are gonna be machines!!  The wife and I were talkin about this the other day  - it's pretty cool when you see how your body acclimates.  I know your strong on the bike - I would focus on where you are weaker - not sayin your weaker in any of the tri activities - but your know - find your balance in all 3.  I am getting there - my swim still seems to be the weaker of mine - so - I am workin that the most next month.  I am feeling good on the running and biking.  Controling your HR in an environment your body is not conditioned to is challenging to say the least, so I would not worry to much if it was higher then normal and sorta out of tune  - it's most likely because of where you were and not how you were running.  Where in Cali were you? Northern ? South end....N Cali is soooo awesome!!  Loved it out there when I was traveling a couple years ago....man - I am starting to sound like a mentor!!!!  LOL  !!  Not yet - I am such a novice !!!

:-)

2008-02-20 8:53 PM
in reply to: #1224738

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Ken,

Looks like your on track mate!! Good luck with your race and keep us posted on the results!!  Man - I am getting soooo ready for Tri season to start!!  its been great training - I cannot wait to see it pay off with my first race on March 29th.  I sorta have an idea of my plan of attack - pool - well - I am gonna swim steady and take my time, well, not that much time....but not gonna rush it.  Bike - gonna smoke the tires on that part of the race - this is where I can make up time should I lose it in the swim - then finally the run  - as long as I stick to my plan keeping the hr in the zone for the better part of this  - then maybe in the last 1/2 mile or so  - open it up just a bit more and push on thru to the finish.  Currently - I figure my times should go like this - swim(500y)  = 20 - 25 min, bike(11 mile ) = 30-35 min, run(5k) = 30-35 min maybe lil less, so - I should be able to finish up in about 90 min or just under 2 hrs.....that's my plan.  For me though on this 1st race - it's all about finishing, I am not racin any clock ...just wanna finish....I think I am well on my way to acheiving that.

Edited by papahawk 2008-02-20 8:55 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed Rss Feed  

of 18