BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-03-23 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3943322

User image

SE North Carolina
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED
The pollen and every other spring allergy is out in full force down here in the south, my Allegra cant keep up with it all. I did my first half marathon last week, Alls I can say is that I finished it, didnt do nearly as well as I was hoping, ended up with two of the worst blisters on both feet that Ive ever had. The only thing to do is a run another to do better next time........have a great weekend....

2012-03-23 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4110101

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

MANDOWN - 2012-03-23 11:46 AM The pollen and every other spring allergy is out in full force down here in the south, my Allegra cant keep up with it all. I did my first half marathon last week, Alls I can say is that I finished it, didnt do nearly as well as I was hoping, ended up with two of the worst blisters on both feet that Ive ever had. The only thing to do is a run another to do better next time........have a great weekend....

Were your allergies a factor, or was it just not your day? Sometimes a bad race is the best motivation for a great race next time!

I'm enjoying the fact that spring showed up here with a vengeance about a week ago. I've done a few runs in the past week, and am amused by the fact that no snow/ice on the ground seems to make me faster (to the tune of almost 3 min/mile difference in pace!).

I took today off work (Easter is still a few weeks off, and new year's feels like it was forever ago), and am probably going to dust off my bike and take it out for a spin while the sun is shining.  I may let the dogs take me out for a long walk, too; I just need to decide whether to take them into the woods in back, or work on their on-leash manners (which do need a ton of work).

I also played a full 60 minutes of soccer last night (no female subs) in a very warm dome; still had a great game, though, setting up a few goals for one of my teammates, and managing to score the game-winning goal(!). I always find this time of year frustrating, though, as it is tough to go inside to play when it is sooo nice out.  That being said, I get that the city can't open the sports fields until they have dried out, since cleats will cause crazy damage to the playing surface if the fields start being used too soon.

Edited by hgoudreau 2012-03-23 12:28 PM
2012-03-23 2:19 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

I hope everyone is doing well. Just finishing up week 8 of the plan and all seems to be going well - fingers are crossed.

Jenn - that is awesome running - nice work, the bike will come.

Mandown Kevin - sorry to hear about the allergies - I don't have them so I don't know what they are like but I know I don't want them. Don't let the one bad race bum you out - the next one will be much better.

Heather - great to see you my fellow Canuck. Glad you are doing well. It has been a crazy end to the winter down here in Southwestern Ont as well but I am enjoying it.

Have a great weekend team.

KC

2012-03-23 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4110101

User image

Expert

What do you think caused the blisters?  Was it wet out or something?  Did you do something different then on your training runs?

MANDOWN - 2012-03-23 10:46 AM The pollen and every other spring allergy is out in full force down here in the south, my Allegra cant keep up with it all. I did my first half marathon last week, Alls I can say is that I finished it, didnt do nearly as well as I was hoping, ended up with two of the worst blisters on both feet that Ive ever had. The only thing to do is a run another to do better next time........have a great weekend....

2012-03-23 3:27 PM
in reply to: #4107926

User image

Expert

Jen - Great work!  Your logs are looking awesome.  What is your goal time (if you have one) for IMWI?  Also nice time on the 10K.

Jennifers - 2012-03-22 8:21 AM

Good morning team!

Hope everyone is enjoying the weather!  I have a recovery week AND spring break this week, so I have been enjoying sleeping in (except today, I decided to get up and go to Masters) and getting some rides and runs in outside.  Nothing too crazy, just easy pace rides.  It was 84 degrees here yesterday, it's going to be hard to adjust once things cool down tonight.  I helped my husband coach the girls' HS soccer practice yesterday afternoon- I took the team through some conditioning drills and strengthening, and then helped him work with the JV girls on skillwork.  If I wasn't doing athletic training, I think I would totally be a soccer coach.  It was so much fun helping some of the girls out who haven't played before.  It is going to be REALLY hard to give up soccer this summer.  I haven't gone a summer without soccer since I started playing as a kid.  I'm sure I'll end up sneaking into a game or two here or there...just don't tell my coach.

Training has been going great- my running has improved DRASTICALLY.  The 10k on Saturday was a challenging course with a 7% grade hill that we ran over 3x, and I managed to get a new PR- 48:48!  I felt really strong for almost the entire run, but afterwards I was spent, and my ride later that day was pretty rough.  If only I was seeing the same improvement on the bike...

Hope everyone has a great Thursday!

Jen

2012-03-23 5:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Mandown- I feel your pain on the allergies.  Mine have been unbearable.  Usually Flonase and ZyrtecD work wonders for me, but both have been completely ineffective this week.  It really sucks.  After my race on Sunday and during a swim workout on Tuesday, I got super hot and lightheaded- I think it may be attributed to the allergies.  Both times I was told my face looked beat red, and both times I felt very congested.  I was looking into salt rooms (they have a couple in Chicago) and was contemplating a visit south to try one.

Tim- I don't really have a time goal for IMWI- being that it is my first IM, my one and only goal is to cross the finish line.  My "coach" Anna wants me to finish in 14 hrs, which she thinks is doable for me.  I am simply doing the training and hoping everything falls into place so I cross that finish line before midnight.

2012-03-23 8:27 PM
in reply to: #4107926

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Jennifers - 2012-03-22 9:21 AM

It is going to be REALLY hard to give up soccer this summer.  I haven't gone a summer without soccer since I started playing as a kid.  I'm sure I'll end up sneaking into a game or two here or there...just don't tell my coach.

I meant to reply to this earlier, but forgot. Good luck with not playing! I tried to take a summer off soccer 4 or 5 years ago, as I was recovering from severe shin splints (as an aside - soccer cleats make shin splints a million times worse because they have no padding). I think I lasted until mid-June, so less than a month into the summer season, before I started looking for a team that needed players.  Of course, having another distraction might make it easier for you than it was for me..

2012-03-24 6:28 AM

User image

Veteran

Jennifer - glad to hear your running is improving so much. 

Mandown - hang in there.  you dealt with the obstacles adn finished.  It was not so long ago you were trying to figure out if doing the 1/2 was the best idea after your tri earlier in the month.  Keep your head up and your feet moving - the next one will get so much better.

Heather- great game! 

2012-03-24 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Heather- I know!  It's really going to be hard, my husband and I run an adult soccer club, and he will be playing all summer...summer I usually play in three leagues, two coed leagues and and one women's league.  So yes, it is going to be extremely difficult- I've already said I'd be a sub, but I am sure at our meeting next weekend I will get convinced to play full time.  On at least the one team, definetely not playing in all 3.

BTW- Congrats on your game the other night!  I am going through a scoring drought in our Friday night indoor league, so it's good to hear someone is able to finish!  Laughing

2012-03-25 6:27 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Team.

I hope all is well with everyone. Recovery week #8 is over. Week 9 starts tomorrow.

2012-03-26 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Hey all.   I'm having a good time since taking the buyout. 

The bike has been good.  We're doing LT builds.  I went out for a group ride with the coach and some other guys int he network Saturday and did a 30 min. 90% LT ride just to get to the meeting place, then 3 X 12 mins at 100%.  50 miles.  Then went out and did 50 more on the TT bike yesterday.  Taking semi private swim lessons and reaping huge form and time benefits.  The run has been really good.  I'm crediting the strength exercises with kettlebells and the weight loss.  My coach said I should be training for an IM this year.  Don't think so.  Too much happening with the job buyout, etc.  But I am seriously thinking about adding a half IM, so I would do two and focusing on reducing time on the longer distance so I could try for a good time at IM Moo 2013 rather than just finishing, which was my main concern last year. 

Also going to sign up for International Triathlete Coaching Asso coaching certification online classes.  I'd like to learn the ins and outs of planning a year.  My coach is retired, his wife just retired and they have money and are building a place in Tucson so I think they will be pulling the plug soon. 

2012-03-26 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Glad you guys are liking the Adamo ISM.  Awesome saddles.  Saved my butt literally after prostate cancer.  Got me back to the bike quick in 2006 when no one had heard of them.  Lots of women are riding them too. 

Mine is pretty level, not totally but I hate the feeling of sliding forward all the time.  Not a problem with numbness, etc.

2012-03-26 8:39 PM

User image

Expert

I am back...

Work has been chaotic this year so posting has been limited to training log and an occassional scan of the message board.  Hopefully things will settle down for a bit soon.

So what's new?  I bought a custom made set of cranks for my bike about a month ago.  Being that I am a pretty short guy and have been experiencing knee pain on extended rides my research lead me to the conclusion that I needed a shorter crank.  This lead me to a site that will calculate your optimal crank arm length based on your leg inseam.  Mine was 148CM, told you I was short.

Anyway, there is a company online that was able to take a standard FSA crank and cuts them down to 155CM.  I figured this had to be better than 170 which is the smallest you can find from the leading manufacturers.  To make an a long story short I ordered a set and had them put on. 

This weekend I raced a local triathlon that uses the same course that I had just raced about 4 weeks prior.  It's a Sprint that covers 12 miles over two loops over rolling hills with one 1.5 mile steady climb on the back.  There was some concern from me on how the shortened crank arms would effect torque for climbing.  Well, it did seem to have an effect.  4 weeks ago on this course I averaged 18.4 MPH. This weekend I increased my speed by right at 3MPH to 21.5.  WOO HOO!!!

In addition, I went on a 30 and a 40 mile very hilly rides and felt much better and faster on the climbs with comfortable spinning over the top and a lot less mashing.  Knees feel great too which I am happy about as well but I am so overwhelmed by the speed/comfort increase I kind of forgot about the lack of knee pain.

IM Training started tonight as well and already had to make a modification.  Tricky balancing work, family and IM.  Tonight was a 45 minute run + Strength.  However, my daughter has a soccer game tomorrow so I pulled my planned swim for tomorrow night in to tonight and will only do a tempo run tomorrow night.

On On  

2012-03-27 8:19 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

I hope everyone is well. Weather here is back to normal - oh well, it was great while it lasted.

Scott - good for you enjoying yourself. I love your idea about taking over for your Coach - sounds like a great opportunity - good luck and keep us posted.

Batlou Brian - gret to see you and welcome back. IM plans are all about adapting and fitting in real life as well - you will figure it out. Keep us posted on how you are making out. I may volunteer for IM Louisville. It is two week after IMNYC so if I survive I am thinking about coming down there to watch and help. I had a great time last year with the Coach and want to do it again.

Have a great day everyone - train safe.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2012-03-27 8:20 AM
2012-03-29 11:12 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Just checking in to say hello. It has been a busy week but all is well. Long run scheduled for today.

Be safe everyone.

KC

2012-03-29 6:16 PM

User image

Veteran

spring break starts tomorrow!!  Driving to Florida.  1 day at Movie themed amusement park with kids.  Then board a ship for 4 days at sea.  May get in a run or 2.  If you count snorkeling as swimming, I will come home and logs a few hours of that.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.  Race season is beginning.  I am sure somebody has something coming up.  Anyone?

2012-03-29 7:13 PM
in reply to: #4119751

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Have a great time Brian.

Hope you are feeling well.

Nothing until early June for me.

KC

Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-03-29 7:16 PM

spring break starts tomorrow!!  Driving to Florida.  1 day at Movie themed amusement park with kids.  Then board a ship for 4 days at sea.  May get in a run or 2.  If you count snorkeling as swimming, I will come home and logs a few hours of that.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.  Race season is beginning.  I am sure somebody has something coming up.  Anyone?

2012-03-30 9:52 AM
in reply to: #4110712

User image

Expert

Yeah I am kinda doing (hoping) for the same thing.  Your training has looked very intense so I was just wondering if you had a specific goal.  How are you holding up?

Jennifers - 2012-03-23 5:07 PM

Tim- I don't really have a time goal for IMWI- being that it is my first IM, my one and only goal is to cross the finish line.  My "coach" Anna wants me to finish in 14 hrs, which she thinks is doable for me.  I am simply doing the training and hoping everything falls into place so I cross that finish line before midnight.

2012-03-30 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4114440

User image

Expert

Brian - glad to hear that you got that resolved with such a simple fix.  I've never even thought about checking my crank length.  What cadence are you spinning at on average.  I used to be a masher and was spinning around 75 to 80 but have been working to get that up around 90-95 on average and it really has helped save my legs off the bike.

Keep up the good work!

Batlou - 2012-03-26 8:39 PM

Anyway, there is a company online that was able to take a standard FSA crank and cuts them down to 155CM.  I figured this had to be better than 170 which is the smallest you can find from the leading manufacturers.  To make an a long story short I ordered a set and had them put on. 

This weekend I raced a local triathlon that uses the same course that I had just raced about 4 weeks prior.  It's a Sprint that covers 12 miles over two loops over rolling hills with one 1.5 mile steady climb on the back.  There was some concern from me on how the shortened crank arms would effect torque for climbing.  Well, it did seem to have an effect.  4 weeks ago on this course I averaged 18.4 MPH. This weekend I increased my speed by right at 3MPH to 21.5.  WOO HOO!!!

In addition, I went on a 30 and a 40 mile very hilly rides and felt much better and faster on the climbs with comfortable spinning over the top and a lot less mashing.  Knees feel great too which I am happy about as well but I am so overwhelmed by the speed/comfort increase I kind of forgot about the lack of knee pain.

2012-03-30 9:58 AM
in reply to: #4119751

User image

Expert

Hope you have a great trip!

Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-03-29 6:16 PM

2012-03-30 10:12 AM

User image

Expert

So I have had an interesting past week.  I ended up missing my first real workout on Sunday because we performed and had a booth at a huge wedding expo for the band.  It was a L O N G  day and I was just too drained to run 1 hour so I skipped it.  This week Evan was on Spring Break so I took him up to our place in Oshkosh, WI to get it opened up and get the boat in the water.  Weather was nice and we got some decent fishing in.  Was nice to spend some one on one time with him as I have been extremely busy lately.  Was gonna try and get a run in with him on the bike but it just didn't happen - didn't sweat it though.

Trying to get my workouts in (safely) the remainder of the week. Drove 4 hours home last night then jumped on the bike trainer for an hour.  got up at 5am and got my hour swim in then ran 1:10 (8 miles).  I am feeling it now and I have a show tonight til am - ugh.  Bike 2-1/2 hours then run :30 minutes on saturday and then swim 1 hour / run 1 hour on Sunday and I should be caught up.

RFP!!!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

2012-03-31 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4120626

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team - just checking in to say hello - Saturday is my day off and I am enjoying it!

Tim - sounds like you have it all figured out - awesome to spend some time with your son. Nice job on the RFP!

KC

tmoran80 - 2012-03-30 11:12 AM

So I have had an interesting past week.  I ended up missing my first real workout on Sunday because we performed and had a booth at a huge wedding expo for the band.  It was a L O N G  day and I was just too drained to run 1 hour so I skipped it.  This week Evan was on Spring Break so I took him up to our place in Oshkosh, WI to get it opened up and get the boat in the water.  Weather was nice and we got some decent fishing in.  Was nice to spend some one on one time with him as I have been extremely busy lately.  Was gonna try and get a run in with him on the bike but it just didn't happen - didn't sweat it though.

Trying to get my workouts in (safely) the remainder of the week. Drove 4 hours home last night then jumped on the bike trainer for an hour.  got up at 5am and got my hour swim in then ran 1:10 (8 miles).  I am feeling it now and I have a show tonight til am - ugh.  Bike 2-1/2 hours then run :30 minutes on saturday and then swim 1 hour / run 1 hour on Sunday and I should be caught up.

RFP!!!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

2012-03-31 3:17 PM
in reply to: #4120573

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

I've been holding up ok.  I did encounter my first "injury"...my calf muscle and bottom of my foot were spasming up on me when I'd point my toe down.  Thankfully, I had some of my students and a co-worker look at it and treat it- I have some adhesions in the calf muscle that are limiting my motion, so they used a treatment called Graston Technique to work on it...VERY painful, but it felt so much better the next day.  I have two-four more treatments to go in the next couple weeks before hopefully it's resolved.

Today I biked indoors for about 4 hours for a charity event, Pedal for the Food Pantry, this morning.  It was an absolute blast.  I actually was on the bike for 3:36 and got 60 miles in.  I am supposed to squeeze in a 30 minute run today but it is my husband's birthday weekend and I we have dinner plans with some friends, plus a million other things that must get done today, so hopefully I can get something in. 

Those of you training for IMWI- did you see the course changes?  What do you think?  At first, I was not happy about the swim course change...to me, it already looked scary when it was the rectangle, but now... Although, this will help spread everyone out better, so I guess I am feeling better about it.  Does anyone know how the bike course changed?  I couldn't figure that out.  I am headed to Madison next weekend to ride the course, so we'll see how it is then.

2012-03-31 7:32 PM

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hi folks,

It was a beautiful day here.  I started training for a spring 10k - the race is sold out, and I don't have a bib yet, but I'm working on it (and figure I might as well start training in the meantime.  If I find one, I'll be ready to PR; if not, I'll be better in the triathlons I've been eyeing for later this summer). All that to say, I ran 3 miles.  The highlight was meeting an 11-week old puppy. She rolled over and let me rub her belly.

After my run, my husband and I took the three dogs hiking. It's a bit wet in some places, but the woods have dried out quite a bit in the past week.

Tomorrow it's supposed to rain all day, so I'm going to take a spin class and do some weight training..

Enjoy your weekend, all!

2012-04-01 1:20 PM
in reply to: #4122337

User image

Expert
Jennifers - 2012-03-31 3:17 PM

I have some adhesions in the calf muscle that are limiting my motion, so they used a treatment called Graston Technique to work on it...VERY painful, but it felt so much better the next day.  I have two-four more treatments to go in the next couple weeks before hopefully it's resolved. 

Ouch - that sounds really painful.  Hope you can get that taken care off.

Those of you training for IMWI- did you see the course changes?  What do you think?  At first, I was not happy about the swim course change...to me, it already looked scary when it was the rectangle, but now... Although, this will help spread everyone out better, so I guess I am feeling better about it.  Does anyone know how the bike course changed?  I couldn't figure that out.  I am headed to Madison next weekend to ride the course, so we'll see how it is then.

I figure the swim race is now gonna be like an out and back swim on Racine course - just long stretches with no turns which is ok I guess.  Not sure what is better mentally, one loop or two.  I am thinking one is better.

Saw this on the IMWI thread explaining the changes on bike course. Sounds like it really isn't a big deal.

"The longer version is this: It looks like they added a little "jaunt" (read very short distance) by Rimrock road when you first start and took out the equally short strip going from G to 92.  Instead taking Messerschmidt road.  These are all on the way out to the loops."

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 43