BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group--- Phase 2--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-07-16 7:44 AM
in reply to: #4311468

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group--- Phase 2--CLOSED!
Qua17 - 2012-07-14 1:34 PM
yogachic - 2012-07-13 8:26 AM

Good luck Thor & Terra on your race this weekend!

I don't usually warm up before my races, so it does take me a few hundred meters to get in the groove.  Of course, my swim times probably reflect this!

No racing for me this weekend.  I have a 17-mile run planned for Saturday and a 55-mile bike ride on Sunday.  

Hey Missy - how did your long run go today?  Good luck tomorrow on your bike ride.  With all those calories burned - you'll be able to eat and drink whatever you want all weekend!  Enjoy!

The run went well!  I actually found a friend on the path around mile 10 who ran with me until mile 15.  He's faster than me and kept inadvertently picking up the pace, so I had a nice solid effort during those miles, running slightly faster on tired legs.  He left me at mile 15 (since he had already ran longer than he'd planned and still needed to turn around and run home), but by then I was pretty eager to get home. . . So I booked it home the last 2 miles.  Pretty good practice for doing negative splits!

Ride on Sunday went pretty well too!  I met up with some friends from my tri club and had planned on doing the 55-mile route.  But toward the end some folks were fading, and I was feeling strong, so I ended up doing a few extra miles after the group ride since the last few miles had been at a lower effort to keep the group together.  I ended up doing a total of just under 63 miles.  The best part was I felt pretty awesome after- not all that tired and no sign of my hip issues off the bike that I suffered through last season!  

I definitely took advantage of all those extra calories burned!  I went out for Ethiopian food Saturday night, big post-ride brunch Sunday morning, then had friends over on my roof deck for carry-out pizza & growlers from a local microbrewery Sunday evening!  

2012-07-17 12:10 AM
in reply to: #4312659

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
disturbed275 - 2012-07-15 6:42 PM

Hi guys! I had a decent couple of races last night.  The 5k was first and I ran it in 19:40.  During that last mile when I was dying I seriously questioned why I signed up for both races.  I really didn't want to run again.  Had about 40 minutes between the races which was just enough time to recover a bit and forget about the pain of the first race.  The 10k didn't go as well but I managed to hang on for a 41:56.  All in all not a bad night.  I'm not sure if I would do the double again, but still cool to say I did it.

Hope to hear how our other racers fared today!

that is awesome!! Great times!!! Congrats! Hope you got to enjoy the beer gardens thoroughly!

My race went well, came in 9/23 in my age group and broke the 25 min mark for my 5km! 24:41! It was just for fun with a couple of friends, we celebrated after too, since it was their first OWS tri.

2012-07-17 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4312659

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Hi guys! I had a decent couple of races last night.  The 5k was first and I ran it in 19:40.  During that last mile when I was dying I seriously questioned why I signed up for both races.  I really didn't want to run again.  Had about 40 minutes between the races which was just enough time to recover a bit and forget about the pain of the first race.  The 10k didn't go as well but I managed to hang on for a 41:56.  All in all not a bad night.  I'm not sure if I would do the double again, but still cool to say I did it.

Wow, that is lightning fast! Great job on the runs.

2012-07-17 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4124591

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well that race is in the books. Disappointing to say the least. Ended up 48/107 in a time of 2:50:31.

Last year was 63, 2:53:42. Improved but not as much as i was hoping. My swim was actually just about a minute and a 1/2 slower. Funny thing is, is it felt great! Bike felt better then last year as well but only a small improvement. Could have been the wet course or just not enough hill work.

I was hoping to get in the 2:45's this year...I guess it will have to be next year!

Will be spending the balance of the week in sunny okanagan on the beach! Back training next week.

2012-07-17 1:35 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
So does dancing all night count as training?  It should, I was sore after four hours of boogin'! Day after the Dobbie Bros and Chicago concert we headed to Murphy's CA for a day of wine tasting!  Great weekend but I am pooped! The best part is I have some great wine to drink for a long while....sorry beer lovers its the grapes for me for a bit.
2012-07-17 9:22 PM
in reply to: #4312853

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Moonrocket - 2012-07-15 9:55 PM

Holy cow! That's some fast running! Congrats on a great evening of races. What was your strategy? Did you go all out on the 5k?

I'm not sure I really had a strategy.  I wanted to run the 5k hard and then do what I could for the 10k.  Although that last mile of the 5k when things were starting to hurt pretty good I found myself thinking there's no need to kill myself, I still have a 10k to run so it probably wasn't as all out as it could have been

2012-07-17 9:23 PM
in reply to: #4313162

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
yogachic - 2012-07-16 7:44 AM
Qua17 - 2012-07-14 1:34 PM
yogachic - 2012-07-13 8:26 AM

Good luck Thor & Terra on your race this weekend!

I don't usually warm up before my races, so it does take me a few hundred meters to get in the groove.  Of course, my swim times probably reflect this!

No racing for me this weekend.  I have a 17-mile run planned for Saturday and a 55-mile bike ride on Sunday.  

Hey Missy - how did your long run go today?  Good luck tomorrow on your bike ride.  With all those calories burned - you'll be able to eat and drink whatever you want all weekend!  Enjoy!

The run went well!  I actually found a friend on the path around mile 10 who ran with me until mile 15.  He's faster than me and kept inadvertently picking up the pace, so I had a nice solid effort during those miles, running slightly faster on tired legs.  He left me at mile 15 (since he had already ran longer than he'd planned and still needed to turn around and run home), but by then I was pretty eager to get home. . . So I booked it home the last 2 miles.  Pretty good practice for doing negative splits!

Ride on Sunday went pretty well too!  I met up with some friends from my tri club and had planned on doing the 55-mile route.  But toward the end some folks were fading, and I was feeling strong, so I ended up doing a few extra miles after the group ride since the last few miles had been at a lower effort to keep the group together.  I ended up doing a total of just under 63 miles.  The best part was I felt pretty awesome after- not all that tired and no sign of my hip issues off the bike that I suffered through last season!  

I definitely took advantage of all those extra calories burned!  I went out for Ethiopian food Saturday night, big post-ride brunch Sunday morning, then had friends over on my roof deck for carry-out pizza & growlers from a local microbrewery Sunday evening!  

Sounds like an excellent weekend.  Glad you got both a long run and ride in!

2012-07-17 9:26 PM
in reply to: #4315474

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
thor67 - 2012-07-17 8:38 AM

Well that race is in the books. Disappointing to say the least. Ended up 48/107 in a time of 2:50:31.

Last year was 63, 2:53:42. Improved but not as much as i was hoping. My swim was actually just about a minute and a 1/2 slower. Funny thing is, is it felt great! Bike felt better then last year as well but only a small improvement. Could have been the wet course or just not enough hill work.

I was hoping to get in the 2:45's this year...I guess it will have to be next year!

Will be spending the balance of the week in sunny okanagan on the beach! Back training next week.

The weather and course conditions can definitely play a role in your times from year to year so don't get too down on yourself.  You may not have hit your goal, but that's still a 3 minute improvement so you should be proud of that!

2012-07-17 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4315185

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
rydergal - 2012-07-17 12:10 AM

that is awesome!! Great times!!! Congrats! Hope you got to enjoy the beer gardens thoroughly!

My race went well, came in 9/23 in my age group and broke the 25 min mark for my 5km! 24:41! It was just for fun with a couple of friends, we celebrated after too, since it was their first OWS tri.

Sounds like a pretty good result to me.  How did you like going without the garmin/watch?

2012-07-18 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have a bit of a dilemma and I'm curious what others would do. My husband has to go to Asia for 2.5 weeks for work and it's during my A race which is an Xterra. We don't have family that lives nearby. I could hire a sitter for the race, but I'm not that comfortable with that idea just in case I get hurt. I think I would be way to distracted during the race. Would you race if you didn't have childcare back up after the race? Should I just choose a different race? I really want to do something since I feel like I've put a lot of work in towards this. Although, I really feel like I've already accomplished so much just doing the training for it and getting into better shape.
2012-07-18 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4317859

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Moonrocket - 2012-07-18 10:52 AM I have a bit of a dilemma and I'm curious what others would do. My husband has to go to Asia for 2.5 weeks for work and it's during my A race which is an Xterra. We don't have family that lives nearby. I could hire a sitter for the race, but I'm not that comfortable with that idea just in case I get hurt. I think I would be way to distracted during the race. Would you race if you didn't have childcare back up after the race? Should I just choose a different race? I really want to do something since I feel like I've put a lot of work in towards this. Although, I really feel like I've already accomplished so much just doing the training for it and getting into better shape.

If I have to miss an A race I would go to Asia with him.  Who cares if he has to work!

2012-07-18 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4317972

User image

Extreme Veteran
SportzVision - 2012-07-18 10:27 AM

Moonrocket - 2012-07-18 10:52 AM I have a bit of a dilemma and I'm curious what others would do. My husband has to go to Asia for 2.5 weeks for work and it's during my A race which is an Xterra. We don't have family that lives nearby. I could hire a sitter for the race, but I'm not that comfortable with that idea just in case I get hurt. I think I would be way to distracted during the race. Would you race if you didn't have childcare back up after the race? Should I just choose a different race? I really want to do something since I feel like I've put a lot of work in towards this. Although, I really feel like I've already accomplished so much just doing the training for it and getting into better shape.

If I have to miss an A race I would go to Asia with him.  Who cares if he has to work!

Ha ha great idea! Unfortunately I think my boss cares that I have to work! That combined with the fact I've already been to the places he's going and am not sure I want to bring a 2yo along. It would be fun to go on one of the trips when I'm not working though.
2012-07-19 4:40 PM

User image

Expert

I don't have kids, so I'm not sure what I would do in your situation. . . If it's a big enough deal that you're worrying about it, maybe you should just choose another race where your hubby can be around to watch the kids? (And of course, watch you race!)  It sucks to have to miss your A-race, but there are always other races.  Especially if it's really going to bother you, you might be off your game anyways thinking about the kids, etc.  

If you can find a race a few weeks after (when your husband is back), maybe that would be a better option.  Especially since your original race is far enough away that you can still adjust your training plan so you peak for the later date.  You'd be better off with the added peace of mind.

2012-07-19 4:48 PM

User image

Expert

Anyone racing this weekend??

I'm heading up to Door County, WI tomorrow for the sprint on Saturday.  A bunch of my friends are doing the Half Iron on Sunday, in addition to those also doing the sprint.  It should be a fun, tri-filled weekend.  

I'm planning on doing some extra riding while I'm out there, in addition to doing my long run during the half iron race on Sun.  The idea is to run along the run course backward so I can see my friends during the race.  I might even do some open water swimming up there.  I saw the temperature in Lake Michigan is around 60 this morning up there, vs the 80-degree water we have down here!  

Not sure if I'll have internet access up there (the last 2 years, I didn't AND cell phone reception was horrible) so I might be unplugged until I get back Monday!

2012-07-19 5:11 PM

User image

Expert

I sympathize with your dilemma.  While I love the fact that you are thinking about your kids - you also need to think about yourself.  As you put it - you put a lot of work towards this - and you deserve to cross the finish line.  I'd call some friends and tell them your dilemma and see if some of them could help out if something should happen (and chances are you will probably be fine).  

Good luck!

2012-07-20 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for your thoughts! I'm still trying to decide. Is anyone racing this weekend? I did a stroke and stride last night where the swim was cancelled for lightning. So, just a 5k, but I PRed @ 25:36! So pretty good overall. I did get up and swim this morning too to make it up.

2012-07-20 5:31 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Hey everyone! Just a quick post, out at my camp in penticton, done day 1!!!! 4km swim, 32km ride on the out and back part of the IM course! Then a nice a short run along the beach!! So beautiful here!! Really making me excited for IM!!! Tomorrow biking the whole course and sun 2 r run on the course!!
2012-07-20 6:31 PM
in reply to: #4322751

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

rydergal - 2012-07-21 3:31 AM Hey everyone! Just a quick post, out at my camp in penticton, done day 1!!!! 4km swim, 32km ride on the out and back part of the IM course! Then a nice a short run along the beach!! So beautiful here!! Really making me excited for IM!!! Tomorrow biking the whole course and sun 2 r run on the course!!

That's exciting.  Enjoy your time on the course!

2012-07-20 9:26 PM
in reply to: #4322391

User image

Champion
Ames, IA

Moonrocket - 2012-07-20 2:16 PM Thanks for your thoughts! I'm still trying to decide. Is anyone racing this weekend? I did a stroke and stride last night where the swim was cancelled for lightning. So, just a 5k, but I PRed @ 25:36! So pretty good overall. I did get up and swim this morning too to make it up.

Nice job on a PR! Hope you get the race situation figured out!

2012-07-20 9:26 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA

rydergal - 2012-07-20 5:31 PM Hey everyone! Just a quick post, out at my camp in penticton, done day 1!!!! 4km swim, 32km ride on the out and back part of the IM course! Then a nice a short run along the beach!! So beautiful here!! Really making me excited for IM!!! Tomorrow biking the whole course and sun 2 r run on the course!!

That's awesome that you get a chance to practice on the course!

2012-07-20 9:32 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA

Hi guys! I'm not racing this weekend but I finally decided to go ahead and ride the first four days of RAGBRAI.  This will be 260-some miles across the eastern half of Iowa and considering I've ridden maybe 20 miles since May will be quite the challenge for me.  I couldn't really pass up the fun times though.  It's been a blast the past two years I've done it and I figure I can get caught up on the running the latter half of the week provided I can walk at that point. Lots of chamois butter is packed.

So I'll be internetless for awhile so I apologize in advance.  Best of luck to all of our racers and I'll check back in on Wednesday when I get home!

Edited by disturbed275 2012-07-20 9:34 PM

2012-07-22 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

rydergal - 2012-07-20 4:31 PM Hey everyone! Just a quick post, out at my camp in penticton, done day 1!!!! 4km swim, 32km ride on the out and back part of the IM course! Then a nice a short run along the beach!! So beautiful here!! Really making me excited for IM!!! Tomorrow biking the whole course and sun 2 r run on the course!!

Nice! I was probably sitting on a bench a 100 meters from the big peach having coffee and a cinnamon bun our last morning there. There were a ton of people swimming!

2012-07-22 7:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well it has been a lazy week of non training for the most part. Family holidays, not much time for training! Did triathlon first weekend then off to penticton for Monday. Tried for a bike one day, flatted 2 but managed to get a nice hill in (Summerland Terra) in the midday heat. Back to Radium for the weekend. Went for a couple of looooong hill rides. Headed west to Calgary, 8.5mile hill, 2050 feet. Takes me about an hour to reach the top. First day, went to just about top and flew back down...up in just over 40minutes, down in around 10...

Today, heading home and just kept going for a beautiful 36km bike ride. My wife and kids picked me up with a coffee and cinnamon bun...seems to be a holiday theme!.

2012-07-23 12:16 AM

User image

Champion
rydergal - 2012-07-20 4:31 PMHey everyone! Just a quick post, out at my camp in penticton, done day 1!!!! 4km swim, 32km ride on the out and back part of the IM course! Then a nice a short run along the beach!! So beautiful here!! Really making me excited for IM!!! Tomorrow biking the whole course and sun 2 r run on the course!!
Nice work Tera! I had a last minute trip down to Calgary to visit with some friends who just started residency! Spent an afternoon at Arbour Lake and got mega burned! I look like a raccoon! I hope the bike and run went well on Sat and today! You're going to rock IMC!
2012-07-23 12:20 AM
in reply to: #4324532

User image

Champion
thor67 - 2012-07-22 6:59 PM

Well it has been a lazy week of non training for the most part. Family holidays, not much time for training! Did triathlon first weekend then off to penticton for Monday. Tried for a bike one day, flatted 2 but managed to get a nice hill in (Summerland Terra) in the midday heat. Back to Radium for the weekend. Went for a couple of looooong hill rides. Headed west to Calgary, 8.5mile hill, 2050 feet. Takes me about an hour to reach the top. First day, went to just about top and flew back down...up in just over 40minutes, down in around 10...

Today, heading home and just kept going for a beautiful 36km bike ride. My wife and kids picked me up with a coffee and cinnamon bun...seems to be a holiday theme!.

Glad you've been able to get some rides in! I'm going to email my preceptor for my elective in Wainwright to make sure that I don't have to work the weekend of Alberta Challenge! Debating which course I want to do if I do it! Haha!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group--- Phase 2--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 45