BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-08-22 6:52 AM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Rensselaer, New York
Subject: RE: Guess Who's Back?

Originally posted by Hubbie Mike-- Best of luck on your race!!!!! As other posters have already mentioned you may just superise yourself with a strong race. Either way just enjoy the experience. I'll be here in Iowa holding a sign to cheer you on.  

Can the sign read "Yay, you didn't drown!"

2013-08-22 7:54 PM
in reply to: MJSolt

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by MJSolt

Originally posted by Hubbie Mike-- Best of luck on your race!!!!! As other posters have already mentioned you may just superise yourself with a strong race. Either way just enjoy the experience. I'll be here in Iowa holding a sign to cheer you on.  

Can the sign read "Yay, you didn't drown!"

Of course!!!!!!
2013-08-23 6:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Rensselaer, New York

24 hours from now I will be at the lake, transitions set up, stretching and warming up for my 1st tri. I though I had more time!!

My tri suit came yesterday. I really think they need to make Spanx for triathletes. I guess I need to put my modesty aside and just enjoy myself. I'm doing something most will never try and there is something to be said for that.

If anyone wants to friend me on Facebook I'll be posting pictures before and after the event tomorrow. I'mm sure my friends and family will take a lot of pictures as well that I will post after the event.

https://www.facebook.com/mjsolt

Thanks for all the support!

Edited by MJSolt 2013-08-23 6:37 AM
2013-08-23 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

24 hours from now I will be at the lake, transitions set up, stretching and warming up for my 1st tri. I though I had more time!!

My tri suit came yesterday. I really think they need to make Spanx for triathletes. I guess I need to put my modesty aside and just enjoy myself. I'm doing something most will never try and there is something to be said for that.

If anyone wants to friend me on Facebook I'll be posting pictures before and after the event tomorrow. I'mm sure my friends and family will take a lot of pictures as well that I will post after the event.

https://www.facebook.com/mjsolt

Thanks for all the support!

Yep, it's one of the best and equally scaring feelings you can have.

You talking about modesty and the tri suit, made me think of a story from when I started all this. I purchased my first road bike and cycling shorts and had riden about 25 miles or so before deciding that I needed to sign up for and do a fifty mile ride. I showed up on the morning of the ride ready to go, signed in, got my bike out, and got everything ready. I then started talking with two guys near me about ten minutes before the start and told them that this was my first group ride and that I had not been riding long. Both of them laughed, not rudely, but laughed all the same. One of them then told me that they knew how new I was because I had a pair of shorts on over my bike shorts. I explained that I was not going to wear them on the ride, which he stated he knew. He asked me if I noticed that everyone else was just in there bike shorts as they walked around, which I knew but just felt weird. He told me to have a great ride and that I would not even think about it after a few months of riding. Fast forward three years to this year at another 50 mile ride I signed up for. I got out of the truck and the wind slammed my locked door shut, with my bike inside. I had to call my brother-in-law to bring me a key which he did. The ride had already left out 30 minutes prior so I asked him if he wanted to go get breakfast on me for his troubles, which he agreed to. We went to a donut shop, ate, and talked for a bit. A few months later my sister made a comment about how weird he felt the day he picked me up. I questioned him about it and he advised that he was basically embarassed to go with me to breakfast because I was walking around in bike shorts like I did not care, which I didn't. Talk about full circle.

Mike I would add you as a facebook friend if I was on facebook. My job does not really want us to have a facebook page, which is fine by me because I've never had one. Hopefully someone will post some of your pics on here for me to see.

YOU WILL DO GREAT TOMORROW!!!!!
2013-08-23 9:03 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Rensselaer, New York

Thanks Todd, that was a great story. 

I know that once I get going in the event all I'll care about is what I am doing, and I am sure everyone else will be doing the same.  Hopefully a time will come when I wont be so self conscious about my weight and and I will look back on this and laugh.

I will try and post some images on here or at least to Flickr so everyone can see them.

10am here in NY, this time tomorrow I should be somewhere along in my 5k.

Sealed

I do have some loooooooose goals for tomorrow.

I'd like to finish the 325y swim in under 9 min, the 10m bike in 35min and the 5k in 35 min. That will give me an overall goal with transitions of about an hour and a half. We'll see!

2013-08-23 10:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: New Goals
I just wanted to say thank you to Todd and everyone else for the encouragement. We all had some fear or obstacle to get over and we did it or are on our way to conquering it. I hate that it will end. I will definitely be back the next go around. I have been consistently running 3 times a week now and it feels so good! I have decided to not only do a half marathon in the spring but to also do a triathlon again. That one scares me more but I will conquer it again.
My running partner gave me a gift and I thought I would share because it fits perfect not only with her and I but me and you guys.

(Turtle Necklace.bmp)

(Turtle Necklace 2.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
Turtle Necklace.bmp (576KB - 15 downloads)
Turtle Necklace 2.bmp (576KB - 19 downloads)

2013-08-23 3:05 PM
in reply to: Lovey

Subject: RE: New Goals
Great necklace!
Good luck to all the racing turtles this weekend!
2013-08-23 8:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

I just wanted to say thank you to Todd and everyone else for the encouragement. We all had some fear or obstacle to get over and we did it or are on our way to conquering it. I hate that it will end. I will definitely be back the next go around. I have been consistently running 3 times a week now and it feels so good! I have decided to not only do a half marathon in the spring but to also do a triathlon again. That one scares me more but I will conquer it again.
My running partner gave me a gift and I thought I would share because it fits perfect not only with her and I but me and you guys.

That is just awesome
2013-08-24 5:25 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Very cool necklace, and a lovely gift. I'll bet that'll be a good luck charm for your upcoming races Smile. It's perfect!
2013-08-24 6:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anyone hear from Mike or know how his day went?
2013-08-24 7:31 PM

User image

Rensselaer, New York

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete Anyone hear from Mike or know how his day went?

I'll post my race report tomorrow.

I finished in 1:23 (which was 7 minutes faster than my goal). That was good for 94th overall (out of 115). I was 14/14 in my age group.

Swim was smooth, no anxiety at all in the lake, sighting was OK but I think that's where I lost a bit of my time. (8:32 over 325y).

The bike was fun, aside from missing a shift going uphill and not getting my feet out of the pedals fast enough. Have some road rash on my left knee. I did end up walking a couple of hills. Overall it was fun (38:26 for 10m).

The run was my weakest leg. Walked quite a bit because I didn't want to push it and it was a hilly course. (36:28 for a 5k).

Overall I had a great time and I can't wait to get back to training for Hunter Mountain next month!

The suspense is killing me, how'd it go?

2013-08-24 9:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job Mike!!!! It sounds like you had a great time, exceeded your goals, and learned some things along the way. What else could you ask for! Again great job, now go train for your A race
2013-08-25 4:25 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Way to go Mike! Sounds like a lot of fun. And that run time is still pretty respectable for a hilly course, well done Smile
2013-08-25 6:40 AM

Congratulations!
2013-08-26 7:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

That is a beautiful necklace! And so true, slow and steady has always been my motto since it seems to work best. I look forward to seeing you next time Todd mentors another group.

Beth
2013-08-26 7:36 AM

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete Anyone hear from Mike or know how his day went?

I'll post my race report tomorrow.

I finished in 1:23 (which was 7 minutes faster than my goal). That was good for 94th overall (out of 115). I was 14/14 in my age group.

Swim was smooth, no anxiety at all in the lake, sighting was OK but I think that's where I lost a bit of my time. (8:32 over 325y).

The bike was fun, aside from missing a shift going uphill and not getting my feet out of the pedals fast enough. Have some road rash on my left knee. I did end up walking a couple of hills. Overall it was fun (38:26 for 10m).

The run was my weakest leg. Walked quite a bit because I didn't want to push it and it was a hilly course. (36:28 for a 5k).

Overall I had a great time and I can't wait to get back to training for Hunter Mountain next month!

The suspense is killing me, how'd it go?

Great job on the race! And there is no shame in walking your bike up a hill or two. I've done it before too. The important thing is that you got to the finish line. If you look at the Iron man rules you'll find that rule #1 is: The only forms of locomotion is biking, running, walking, or crawling.

It sounds like you played your cards right and where rewarded with a finish.

Beth

2013-08-26 4:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mike, where are the pics?
2013-08-27 8:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Rensselaer, New York

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete Mike, where are the pics?

Sorry for the delay. Turn out my knee became infected so I was in bed all day yesterday with a fever. No fun. I made an album with the pics from the event.

DCC Triathlon

Edited by MJSolt 2013-08-27 8:16 AM
2013-08-27 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete Mike, where are the pics?

Sorry for the delay. Turn out my knee became infected so I was in bed all day yesterday with a fever. No fun. I made an album with the pics from the event.

DCC Triathlon

Nice pics and looks like a great / clean spot for a swim. Sorry about your knee but I'm sure you'll be back at it in no time.
2013-08-27 11:33 AM

User image

Veteran
That knee looks painful. Hope for a speedy recovery. I'm sure you'll be back at it soon.
2013-08-27 7:23 PM

Sorry about the knee, hope it gets better soon.
You have so much to be proud of.

2013-08-29 1:42 AM
in reply to: RZ0

User image

Veteran
So with only a few days to go before my Championship Triathlon my pre-race jitters are in full effect. I'll admit that the swim will be a strugle but now I'm going to have to face the bike and run in 90+ degree weather, not to mention the humidity. Just not real happy about it, that's all. I'm sure I'll be fine, but my goal is to finish in the top five of my group.

Think I'll go for a quick swim tomorrow morning to try to calm down my jitters.

Beth
2013-08-29 7:22 AM

User image

Rensselaer, New York

I have found that swimming is almost therapeutic for me as well. I think i just like the bubbles. 

Have fun at your event and I know you'll do well!

2013-08-29 7:28 AM

User image

Rensselaer, New York

I have not trained once since my Tri last Saturday. My plan was to start again on Monday but, road rash fever took away Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday we found out that my fiancee's Grandmother passed away and the two of them were very close. We are headed out of town for the services for the weekend so I am essentially losing a weeks worth of training. This will leave me 3 weeks until Hunter Mountain. 

I'm going to be a s/b/r fool for the next three weeks.

2013-08-30 4:57 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Go for it Beth! Good luckLaughing!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45