Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-02-09 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
Have you looked on the xterra website for sizing? They have a chart on there that seems pretty accurate. Are you looking for full or sleevess? Their base sleeveless is usually about $99 I believe. Btw when you try it on, do it somewhere REALLY private with a fan. LOL the first time I tried one on, I came out looking like I'd just gone 10 rounds with king kong. 'Fitted' was an understatement. It was NOT a graceful picture. You definitely don't want it too big though.

2011-02-09 10:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I didn't think you were being judgmental about bikes.   Totally valid question.  And I agree, above a certain point, you had better have sponsors.   Good bikes can  be had for $1200 and up, used even less.  I don't mind building bikes to save money. I like it really.  Fun, got me to know how to make quick repairs and the fact is that if I buy a new bike and ride it around the block, it is used.  Why not let someone else take the hit on depreciation if I can find a really nice frame?  People take good care of their bikes generally.  We have a great shop not far from here that sells complete used bikes, too.  Always worth a look.  If the frame is good you can always upgrade components if you want later on.

Wet suits...bought mine in person.  But I am thinking about getting another one online, a sleeveless.  Before I do will spend LOTS of time talking to a sales rep on the phone asking questions about sizing, etc.  The good companies will take them right back and exchange if there are any problems.     
2011-02-09 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
KC - hope you feel better soon. ..Rob, I'm curious. How do you 'catch' a hangover? Lol
2011-02-09 11:14 AM
in reply to: #3346879

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-09 10:45 AM Btw when you try it on, do it somewhere REALLY private with a fan. LOL the first time I tried one on, I came out looking like I'd just gone 10 rounds with king kong.

Now that's funny right there.

have someone show you how to pull it up too.  The outside covering is fragile.  You can tear it.  But if you pull it up your legs from the inside, no problem.  The lining is strong and won't tear.   
2011-02-09 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3346270

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
robburkett - 2011-02-08 11:40 PM Before I start - it's 10:56pm, zero degrees outside and I just heard a motorcycle go by....seriously?

So the question was already asked in this thread as to what we ride.  In another thread under Triathlon Talk, someone was showing off their new Cervelo S3, which was all sorts of sexy.  At $4,500 frameset and $6,600 complete, I really had to wonder about how I would approach that purchase.  I told my fiance about it and joked about how alot of the gentlemen on this site mention how they would be in the doghouse if they made such a purchase.

She experienced sticker shock when I shared the numbers with her.  I also told her that it's not the tires or the brakes or the steering mechanism, but the engine that's important.

So there's what I wanted to talk about - what do we think about that?  Will a $7,000 bike make that much of a difference to someone who is only just new to the sport?  I think not but would like to hear other thoughts.

As a beginner, I think the engine is most important.  I remember doing a century and at about mile 80 there was a really big hill.  I was doing the side to side thing at 4mph trying to stay upright and I passed this guy that was walking a Trek Madone up the hill.  I'm thinking why spend the money on that bike when you could walk up with a much cheaper bike (like mine) just as well.  If you're not riding fairly well I can't imagine seeing much improvement by upgrading. I'm still riding my Giant OCR2 that I got for around $650 new.

I'm having to fight the urge to upgrade right now.  We did our taxes and we're getting a bigger return than expected and I know a perfect way to spend about $1,500 of it but we're moving and it's probably not the best way to spend money right now (insert whiny kid voice here). 
2011-02-09 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
I finally got to workout two days in a row this week, woohoo!  Today is a scheduled off day which is good since another foot or so of snow is being dumped outside right now (wind chill -2, this isn't supposed to happen in Oklahoma).  We just got our roads cleared from the last one, ugh!  My next workout is an afternoon of snow shoveling. 

2011-02-09 11:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I should have said that's funny right there but meaningless without pictures
2011-02-09 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Thats why I love my desoto 2 piece wetsuit.  Much easier to put on.  Plus I sometimes if just training I use only the top for warmth.

I will find out tonight how bad of shape my legs are with a 1.5 hr spin after a good workout yesterday.  I have a feeling I will struggle on the hill part. 

Stay warm everyone I see most of our temps will be well below 0 tonight.
2011-02-09 8:38 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Team.

I will catch up on all your posts' later - maybe tomorrow if I am up to it. (bikes, wetsuits, king kong wet suit fittings (lol) etc.)

Stayed in bed until 12:45 today - feeling brutal. Had to suck it up and clean up to go do a press conference and a graduating senior athlete presentation between two basketball games at the college. Hope I did not infect anyone. I could not miss these activities, that is the main reason I did not go to work this mornig. I had to conserve enough energy to get through this afternoon and evening.

Warming up the neti pot right now - taking my drugs and hitting the wrapper - doctors tomorrow. I sure would like a medicinal dip in the chlorine sometime tomorrow but right now, don't think that is going to happen - this sucks!

Have a great day everyone - I hope you all have great work outs - I will read all about them - that may help me get through my day.

Good night.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2011-02-09 8:40 PM
2011-02-09 10:27 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
I did not know you could get sick from being online, I'm getting a cold again and heading to tahoe friday. Hopefully its a quick one.Kc sorry to hear your getting worse, hope all the sleep helps
2011-02-10 7:38 AM
in reply to: #3348109

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
razorxp - 2011-02-09 11:27 PM I did not know you could get sick from being online, I'm getting a cold again and heading to tahoe friday. Hopefully its a quick one.Kc sorry to hear your getting worse, hope all the sleep helps

Hey Coach - thanks for the note - have a great time in Tahoe - I guess you and your computer can catch a virus when you go on line?
Have a great day.
KC

2011-02-10 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
Wow - sorry to hear you guys are getting hit by the bug.

As I was waking I thought that I would go for a run outside today.  Then I walked outside and learned that it was -8 degrees.  Negative Eight.  That's just outlandish.  Dreadmill here I come.

Planning a trip to WDW in June with the family.  Just called the Wilderness Lodge where we will be staying and found out that they don't allow swimming in Bay Lake.  Bummer.  Was kinda hoping to throw in some solid training in open water.  I looked on the Florida forum here and they recommended another place off resort property.  I don't want to rent a car, so it looks like I'll be looking at other options.
2011-02-10 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3348321

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
robburkett - 2011-02-10 7:53 AM Wow - sorry to hear you guys are getting hit by the bug.

As I was waking I thought that I would go for a run outside today.  Then I walked outside and learned that it was -8 degrees.  Negative Eight.  That's just outlandish.  Dreadmill here I come.

Planning a trip to WDW in June with the family.  Just called the Wilderness Lodge where we will be staying and found out that they don't allow swimming in Bay Lake.  Bummer.  Was kinda hoping to throw in some solid training in open water.  I looked on the Florida forum here and they recommended another place off resort property.  I don't want to rent a car, so it looks like I'll be looking at other options.

Option? Haul a bike and ride there?   BUT, I NEVER swim in open water alone.  I've had a cramp on an open water swim that put me on my back trying to tread water til it passed.  Not pleasant.  There was a canoe handy during an open water training swim that time...  It was good assurance, but taught me how easy it is to feel good one minute and be in serious trouble the next.   Lifeguards are a must for me.

2011-02-10 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3348381

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
IceManScott - 2011-02-10 8:23 AM
robburkett - 2011-02-10 7:53 AM Wow - sorry to hear you guys are getting hit by the bug.

Option? Haul a bike and ride there?   BUT, I NEVER swim in open water alone.  I've had a cramp on an open water swim that put me on my back trying to tread water til it passed.  Not pleasant.  There was a canoe handy during an open water training swim that time...  It was good assurance, but taught me how easy it is to feel good one minute and be in serious trouble the next.   Lifeguards are a must for me.

Amen to having a swim buddy or lifeguards.

Just found out that I'll be traveling to Charlotte Monday night through Thursday next week.  Probably staying at the Ritz (it's a bank property, so it ain't like I'm getting over on anyone).  They have a spin studio and a nice little pool and DT Charlotte is nice to run through.  Time to look at what I have on my schedule.
2011-02-10 10:44 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
I use one of these when open water swimming alone.  http://www.triaids.com/SwimSafe.htm  Picked up one in the classified here and love it.

In orlando there is a place right outside universal studios called luckies lake and they swim every morning.  Great group of people and if you do the swim you sign the wall.  http://www.luckyslakeswim.com/   A bunch of us went there before the 70.3 in May.  On race weekends they get 50-150 swimmers.  I think out and back is around 1k total.

2011-02-10 11:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Man that is freakin' awesome.  They are just like the inflatabble fishing vests but these are all around your waist. Love it.
I don't care how good you swim, things happen.  I'd love to get one of those for open water training.  Are they legal?  Probably not?  Too bad...there are lots of folks who would wear them in races and should. I would.  You never know.

2011-02-10 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3346843

User image

Veteran
Mass.
gabrelsj - 2011-02-09 11:32 AM i know what you mean about the pool.  i was swimming yesterday and pushing pretty hard when a guy got in next to me and swim lap after lap  looking effortless.  he was doing about 1:40/100 and i was about 1:50/100.  i know that time does not matter when it comes to the long tris but i was impressed how effortless it was...while i was throwing water everywhere.  i would come up gasping for air and he was just enjoying himself.

ok- i am looking at wet suits on ebay.  what does everyone use?  can you go by height and weight when it comes to size?  woudl you rather it be too tight or loose?

I found this web suit for wet suits.  They let you apply the cost of rental to buying the suit if you like it.
http://www.wetsuitrental.com/

KC- Hope your feeling better!!

Had my best swim workout today!!  It's finally clicking!  I don't feel like I'm going to drown!  Can't wait to do it again tommorow!!
2011-02-10 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3349025

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
kdevarenne - 2011-02-10 2:22 PM
gabrelsj - 2011-02-09 11:32 AM i know what you mean about the pool.  i was swimming yesterday and pushing pretty hard when a guy got in next to me and swim lap after lap  looking effortless.  he was doing about 1:40/100 and i was about 1:50/100.  i know that time does not matter when it comes to the long tris but i was impressed how effortless it was...while i was throwing water everywhere.  i would come up gasping for air and he was just enjoying himself.

ok- i am looking at wet suits on ebay.  what does everyone use?  can you go by height and weight when it comes to size?  woudl you rather it be too tight or loose?

I found this web suit for wet suits.  They let you apply the cost of rental to buying the suit if you like it.
http://www.wetsuitrental.com/

KC- Hope your feeling better!!

Had my best swim workout today!!  It's finally clicking!  I don't feel like I'm going to drown!  Can't wait to do it again tommorow!!

Congrats on the swim breakthrough. I will let you know when I have mine, if ever and thanks for the well wishes.

Got a question for you - how long have you been swimming?
KC

Edited by kcgolf 2011-02-10 2:20 PM
2011-02-10 2:19 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Team.

Hope everyone is doing well today. I am off to the pool. I have to do something, even if I just end up floating and kicking a little bit on a board. Head is stuffed, body is a bit weak but what are you going to do right?

Have a good afternoon everyone.

KC
2011-02-10 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3348787

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
IceManScott - 2011-02-10 12:11 PM Man that is freakin' awesome.  They are just like the inflatabble fishing vests but these are all around your waist. Love it.
I don't care how good you swim, things happen.  I'd love to get one of those for open water training.  Are they legal?  Probably not?  Too bad...there are lots of folks who would wear them in races and should. I would.  You never know.

I believe they are legal (as long as not inflated).  They actually create drag so I don't know why any race director would have an issue with them.  I use mine because the guys lake that I swim in makes me use it.  He says his kids would freak out and never swim again if I drown! :-)
2011-02-10 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Great job Keith, That is what is cool about swimming. Some days it just clicks and you feel like you can go forever.

KC Unless your feeling a ton better I don't think you will gain anything by working out. if anything you may prolong your illness.  I know it sucks but rest is key.

Edited by razorxp 2011-02-10 2:37 PM

2011-02-10 3:34 PM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
Luckily, the streets were plowed today and the snow cleared much easier than last time.  I'm about to do a 90 min run (going to be a new record) and a swim tonight.  It's feels great to be getting my workouts in again.  Can't wait till next week when it's in the upper 60's and I can run and bike outside in shorts next to huge piles of melting snow.
2011-02-10 4:11 PM
in reply to: #3349152

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
KC....Keep your head up , you will be feeling better soon.
2011-02-10 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3349184

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
I believe they are legal (as long as not inflated).  They actually create drag so I don't know why any race director would have an issue with them.  I use mine because the guys lake that I swim in makes me use it.  He says his kids would freak out and never swim again if I drown! :-)

OK, so I know it is the sick work humor, but I really LOL when I read this.  Sorry
2011-02-10 4:19 PM

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
OK, last one for today.  I took yesterday off after adding a swim on Tuesday which is my original off day.  My legs were tired, so I will have to make up that bike ride some other time.   But I did go out and buy my first running shoes the NB 425.  Just a beginner model, but hey I am a beginner.  Now to retire my "walmart" shoes.  I hope everyone is staying warm and looking forward to the spring.  Ours, here in the south, is not far enough off.   
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76