BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-05-10 11:15 PM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!
What's up guys? I've had a weird week since the race. I've been eating a bunch of crap, feeling WAY fatigued, de-motivated, lethargic, sore...I'll stop there. Work has been b-a-n-a-n-a-s on top of it all.

Maybe it's just post-race recovery that my body is demanding. Anyways...I'm feeling better finally and with 10 weeks until my HIM, I'm ready to step up my game a bit. Here's what I'm thinking for the 10 weeks left...

Phase 1: 4 weeks - focus on getting run distance up, do speed work in the pool and on the bike
Recovery week
Phase 2: 3 weeks - focus on run speed, bike distance, and do a few quality bricks
Taper: 2 weeks

Fire away with your thoughts on my plan...

2010-05-10 11:20 PM
in reply to: #2850257

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
BigH2OChief - 2010-05-10 9:08 PM

Swim for Enci is a beach start just south of the Lifeguard Hqs… out past the surfzone to a R turn at buoy 1 parallel to the shoreline northbound (with the current) R turn at buoy 2 back into the surfzone.  The exit is just about parallel to the pathway past the south of the bathrooms.

Surf Forecast today through Tuesday:
     - Water Temp 57 - 60 degrees
     - Surf height 3 to 4 feet with sets to 5 feet
     - Rip current potential is high
     - Very strong currents and dangerous swimming conditions are expected

Ah fack, I thought it was out and back.  Oh well, I'm sure I'll survive.  Dangerous swimming conditions...youre not bolstering my confidence in my abilities to finish this thing, lol.

Edited by shmeeg 2010-05-10 11:21 PM
2010-05-10 11:22 PM
in reply to: #2850159

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
shmeeg - 2010-05-10 7:57 PM

Heavy surf huh...great.  I'm gonna need a life jacket!  I'm definitely getting in there Saturday so I don't freak out during the race :D 

Ok, what am I forgetting?

SWIMBIKERUNTRANSITIONPOST RACEPRE RACE
WETSUITBIKEVISORTOWELFLOPSDIRECTIONS
TRI TOPCO2RUNNING SHOESBAGDRY CLOTHES$10 USAT FEE
TRI SHORTSLEVERSWATER BOTTLERUBBER BANDSTOWEL 
BODY GLIDEPATCH KITRACE # BELT   
GOGGLESMULTITOOLGARMIN QR STRAP   
SWIM CAPSPARE TUBE    
EAR PLUGS?BIKE SHOES    
 HELMET    
 SUNGLASSES    
 GARMIN    
 HR STRAP    
 WATER BOTTLE    

I bring two sets of goggles - dark ones if it's sunny, light ones if it's not.
SUNSCREEN!!!
Electrical tape (to tape gu's to your top tube - lots of people hit me up for some in transition at WF)
2010-05-10 11:24 PM
in reply to: #2850264

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
I can't provide any insight on your training plan David, but it sounds like you know what you're doing.  Do YOU think there's any holes in it?  Ha, im sure feeling lethargic has NOTHING to do w/ the fact that you're eating like crap either Yell
2010-05-10 11:26 PM
in reply to: #2850275

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
dhopman - 2010-05-10 9:22 PM

I bring two sets of goggles - dark ones if it's sunny, light ones if it's not.
SUNSCREEN!!!
Electrical tape (to tape gu's to your top tube - lots of people hit me up for some in transition at WF)

Ah, didnt think of that, I will have to grab some clear goggles.  Tape, check.  Thanks!
2010-05-10 11:29 PM
in reply to: #2849397

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
kickitinok - 2010-05-10 1:56 PM Doc gave a definitive diagnosis - posterior tibial tendonitis. He hasn't given any specific advice on how to train except to lay off running if my leg hurts. Well, it hurts if I get above 10 miles running a week. I certainly hope the orthodics will help. He seems pretty confident that they will. He also told me no more flip flops, and to wear supportive shoes even walking around the house.

I will try water walking. I also have a nice Precor elliptical upstairs, guess I'll use it. Main source of cardio for 8 years and am super burnt out on it, but it's better than nothing. 

I will axe the running for a week and just concentrate mostly on the bike, swim, weight training, and transitions. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Sounds like a good plan to me Trina. Very hard to do but best to be safe and heal before doing more damage.

2010-05-10 11:47 PM

User image

Regular
Sun Diego

Jay- Good call you got tonight on clear & tinted goggles... I missed that off your list!  I actually carry three sets.   After today, I'm probably going to be using my Aquasphere Goggles for added field of vision.  I dont like using them because they are the easiest to get kicked off in a water fight but I'll take the trade... 

No worries on support gear since your coming from out of town.  I have pretty much everything we should can need in the back of my rig...  including tapes, bands, tools, floor pump, lubes, etc.

2010-05-11 4:33 AM
in reply to: #2850159

User image

Expert
Canada
shmeeg - 2010-05-10 11:57 PM

Heavy surf huh...great.  I'm gonna need a life jacket!  I'm definitely getting in there Saturday so I don't freak out during the race :D 

Ok, what am I forgetting?

SWIMBIKERUNTRANSITIONPOST RACEPRE RACE
WETSUITBIKEVISORTOWELFLOPSDIRECTIONS
TRI TOPCO2RUNNING SHOESBAGDRY CLOTHES$10 USAT FEE
TRI SHORTSLEVERSWATER BOTTLERUBBER BANDSTOWEL 
BODY GLIDEPATCH KITRACE # BELT   
GOGGLESMULTITOOLGARMIN QR STRAP   
SWIM CAPSPARE TUBE    
EAR PLUGS?BIKE SHOES    
 HELMET    
 SUNGLASSES    
 GARMIN    
 HR STRAP    
 WATER BOTTLE    

Something Post race...Have a beer with Mark.  You guys may be the only group members to actually meet each other!!!  Little post race beer & toast the rest of us!!! 
2010-05-11 4:44 AM
in reply to: #2850264

User image

Expert
Canada
dhopman - 2010-05-11 1:15 AM What's up guys? I've had a weird week since the race. I've been eating a bunch of crap, feeling WAY fatigued, de-motivated, lethargic, sore...I'll stop there. Work has been b-a-n-a-n-a-s on top of it all.

Maybe it's just post-race recovery that my body is demanding. Anyways...I'm feeling better finally and with 10 weeks until my HIM, I'm ready to step up my game a bit. Here's what I'm thinking for the 10 weeks left...

Phase 1: 4 weeks - focus on getting run distance up, do speed work in the pool and on the bike
Recovery week
Phase 2: 3 weeks - focus on run speed, bike distance, and do a few quality bricks
Taper: 2 weeks

Fire away with your thoughts on my plan...

The plan sounds good in general, but some specifics...

You are a swimmer, I am a drowner, so I will leave that aloneYell

Phase 1: "get run distance up".  Where did you leave off on weekly mileage.  How often did you run & are you planning to run.  What was your LSD & where do you plan to get it in 4 weeks.

Phase 2:  Get run speed up...really depends on Answer above.  Might not worry about this, depending on above.

Phase 2:" Bike:  Getting distance up"...from what to what in what time.

Bricks...I like 'em, but incorporating into above plan in 10 weeks.  Where & how much?

For a short time...10 weeks, I would try & have my big workouts planned, keeping in mind, some of the questions above.  Trying to remember Rule of 10% etc.  You are younger than me & your body is probably more resiliant, but nevertheless, need to be smart in the time you have.

R

PS. I note you also have a bike race in June...This would presumably inserted as long bike ride that week, but may require rest after... 

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-05-11 4:47 AM
2010-05-11 8:39 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
why is swimming so frustrating!!!

I took a little time off after the race but got back in the pool a couple times in the last 2 days. First, I'll tell you I've finally notice a speed difference with a jammer as opposed to my parachute. I'm about 5 seconds faster per 50m. Cool!! However, I've been stuck at 1:00 to 1:10 per 50m pace for what seems like forever! Admittedly, I've been working more on endurance than speed with my sets, but I really thought the speed would come. Last night and Sunday I did some intervals as well. I still can't help thinking that I'm doing something wrong that I'm sooooooo damn slow!! I'd like to talk to my swim coach about this, but I think he had some family in Nashville dealing with the floods. He's been out of town. We were supposed to talk about my strategy for the Xterra. Hopefully, he gets everything straightened out down there so I can talk to him soon.
2010-05-11 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

2010-05-11 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Facking pool is closed due to 'high winds' today. grrrrr.  anybody recommend a good indoor trainer workout?  I'm gonna spin it for awhile this afternoon since it will probably be windy tomorrow and I won't be able to bike outside then either.  When I say windy I mean like 50+ mph gusts.  I hate springtime here.
2010-05-11 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2850732

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Meulen - 2010-05-11 6:39 AM why is swimming so frustrating!!! I took a little time off after the race but got back in the pool a couple times in the last 2 days. First, I'll tell you I've finally notice a speed difference with a jammer as opposed to my parachute. I'm about 5 seconds faster per 50m. Cool!! However, I've been stuck at 1:00 to 1:10 per 50m pace for what seems like forever! Admittedly, I've been working more on endurance than speed with my sets, but I really thought the speed would come. Last night and Sunday I did some intervals as well. I still can't help thinking that I'm doing something wrong that I'm sooooooo damn slow!! I'd like to talk to my swim coach about this, but I think he had some family in Nashville dealing with the floods. He's been out of town. We were supposed to talk about my strategy for the Xterra. Hopefully, he gets everything straightened out down there so I can talk to him soon.

Yep, swimming is frustrating!  Its all about form and technique.  Just cause you swim more doesn't necessarily mean you will improve.  In the beginning, its all about drills that exaggerate technique and reinforce proper technique.  Then, as you progress, you can start scaling back the drills and increase endurance and speedwork.  But, you never completely eliminate the drills.  I try to have about 10 percent of every workout in drills.

The other part of the equation is frequency.   Most swim coaches will tell you that you need to be in the water 4-5x a week to see improvements.   Jeez, that's great right?  What about cycling and running?  Welcome to multi-sport!  My philosophy is that I'll never be the first out of the water, which doesn't really bother me.  As such, I try to get in the water 3-4x a week.

Finally, the volume of your sessions should be such that fatigue doesn't start to compromise form.  Then your just reinforcing bad habits.  In my opinion, you're better off having 4 short sessions than 3 long sessions.

Hopefully Dave will chime in here since he is the swimmer of the group!

2010-05-11 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2851777

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2010-05-11 12:02 PM Facking pool is closed due to 'high winds' today. grrrrr.  anybody recommend a good indoor trainer workout?  I'm gonna spin it for awhile this afternoon since it will probably be windy tomorrow and I won't be able to bike outside then either.  When I say windy I mean like 50+ mph gusts.  I hate springtime here.

You just got to love the low desert!
2010-05-11 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2851019

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2010-05-11 8:09 AM

Got a few pics from the race Friday, apparently the camera man didn't feel like hiking his gear beyond the first hill. Laughing

Where is that?  Nice "little" climb to start the run!
2010-05-11 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
That's in the hills on base here, photos are taken from the first hill looking at the first climb of the second hill.  We call it dragon back.  The photos capture the first 1/2 of it, the really steep part is around the corner off to the left in the last picture.  I learned from last year not to try and run that beast or you blow up really early on.

2010-05-11 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2851920

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-05-11 2:32 PM

Meulen - 2010-05-11 6:39 AM why is swimming so frustrating!!! I took a little time off after the race but got back in the pool a couple times in the last 2 days. First, I'll tell you I've finally notice a speed difference with a jammer as opposed to my parachute. I'm about 5 seconds faster per 50m. Cool!! However, I've been stuck at 1:00 to 1:10 per 50m pace for what seems like forever! Admittedly, I've been working more on endurance than speed with my sets, but I really thought the speed would come. Last night and Sunday I did some intervals as well. I still can't help thinking that I'm doing something wrong that I'm sooooooo damn slow!! I'd like to talk to my swim coach about this, but I think he had some family in Nashville dealing with the floods. He's been out of town. We were supposed to talk about my strategy for the Xterra. Hopefully, he gets everything straightened out down there so I can talk to him soon.

Yep, swimming is frustrating!  Its all about form and technique.  Just cause you swim more doesn't necessarily mean you will improve.  In the beginning, its all about drills that exaggerate technique and reinforce proper technique.  Then, as you progress, you can start scaling back the drills and increase endurance and speedwork.  But, you never completely eliminate the drills.  I try to have about 10 percent of every workout in drills.

The other part of the equation is frequency.   Most swim coaches will tell you that you need to be in the water 4-5x a week to see improvements.   Jeez, that's great right?  What about cycling and running?  Welcome to multi-sport!  My philosophy is that I'll never be the first out of the water, which doesn't really bother me.  As such, I try to get in the water 3-4x a week.

Finally, the volume of your sessions should be such that fatigue doesn't start to compromise form.  Then your just reinforcing bad habits.  In my opinion, you're better off having 4 short sessions than 3 long sessions.

Hopefully Dave will chime in here since he is the swimmer of the group!

thanks, I think I took a little mental beat down with all the crashes in my last race. Everything seems to be frustrating right now! LOL

What your saying makes sense Tim. My swim coach had me work on form first. When he thought I got that down he had me doing these sets I'm doing now for endurance. Maybe, I'm just a slow learner. I just want to be fast already!! LOL

Edited by Meulen 2010-05-11 3:47 PM
2010-05-11 3:39 PM
in reply to: #2851992

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2010-05-11 12:46 PM That's in the hills on base here, photos are taken from the first hill looking at the first climb of the second hill.  We call it dragon back.  The photos capture the first 1/2 of it, the really steep part is around the corner off to the left in the last picture.  I learned from last year not to try and run that beast or you blow up really early on.

Nice.... I would really give you props if the run was in July with a starting time of about noon!Sealed
2010-05-11 4:43 PM
in reply to: #2852206

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2010-05-11 1:39 PM

Nice.... I would really give you props if the run was in July with a starting time of about noon!Sealed

F that!  I tried it last year, I can't do more than about 30 minutes of light running back there in the summer at midday.  It's just ridonkulously hot.  We used to do out n backs to circle K so we could fill our camelbaks w/ ice
2010-05-11 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2850732

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Jammers will be pretty fast compared to loose-fitting suits. They give you a great feel for the water. Competitive swimmers will wear a drag suit during training, and then use race suits for races. I used to swim with a Drag suit that had pockets...you feel like superman when you take one of these things off. It builds strength of course. You can go really old-school and swim in a shirt/shorts/shoes. My rec team would do this early in the season to really kick everyone's a$$.

Still, I generally agree that you should learn form first and speed will come. If you've been working with a swimming coach for a while and not getting faster...then I'd say your form must not be improving much. Either you're just not built for the sport, you've improved as much as possible already, or your coach isn't helping you improve. I'd assume the latter may be true since there should be lots of low-hanging fruit for a swim coach to help you pick initially. If you're pretty athletic/coachable, you should be able to bring your 50's splits down rapidly. You're paying the coach to see results, but the results aren't coming...so I'd find another coach, or demand some serious course-correction in your plan. There are lots of great swim coaches out there - it may be time for a new one!

I could give you lots of tips, point you to websites, vidoes, etc. Chances are little of that will be very helpful - having someone on the deck to give you real-time feedback is critical if you want to improve rapidly. When I was in high school, my coach arranged for a company to video tape us swimming. They had above and below-water cameras. Our coach watched the videos with us and pointed out the problems. Look here -  your head is too high/low. Look here - your right arm crosses over more then your left. Look here - your hips drop when you breathe. Once you see the problem for yourself, it's much easier to correct. If you know anyone with an under-water camera, I'd HIGHLY suggest doing this.

Have you tried doing time trials? It's a better way to guage progress than looking at short distance intervals. I do 2000m time trials (close to 1.2miles) every 6 weeks. I'm actually overdue for another one this week. Maybe you do something much shorter...like 500m (20 laps). Keep a pretty consistent effort if you can. Don't go out super fast, but finish strong. If you don't improve then your training isn't working, time to try something else. This is better than doing 50's because it's easy to get stuck in a rut doing the same intervals for short distances. I've been stuck on 1:45 100 intervals for a long time, but I know I'm faster at long distances. Dropping another 5 seconds to a 1:40 interval over 100m is difficult, but shaving 1 minute off my 2000m time trial is doable (3 sec/100 faster) and that tells me I'm getting faster.

Don't give up! You can do it!
2010-05-11 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2850370

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
GoGoGo - 2010-05-11 2:44 AM

Phase 1: "get run distance up".  Where did you leave off on weekly mileage.  I've been averaging about 1.5 hrs/wk running thanks to my bum knee. How often did you run 2x/wk & are you planning to run.  What was your LSD (7 miles) & where do you plan to get it in 4 weeks. New plan is 3runs/wk, with LSD in the 1.5 hr range - north of 10ish miles, but not by much.

Phase 2:  Get run speed up...really depends on Answer above.  Might not worry about this, depending on above. Plan is to incorporate some interval workouts - track or dreadmill, where I push my comfort zone a bit - 10k pace or faster maybe.

Phase 2:" Bike:  Getting distance up"...from what to what in what time. Most of my rides are in the 30m range...HIM is 56m so just want to get used to being in the saddle a little longer. I'm thinking one 2+ hr ride on weekends.

Bricks...I like 'em, but incorporating into above plan in 10 weeks.  Where & how much? During the week, tack on 20-30 minutes of running after a 1-1.5 hr ride. Once a week at best. I've done these before, spin at the gym, then run outside for a bit.

For a short time...10 weeks, I would try & have my big workouts planned, keeping in mind, some of the questions above.  Trying to remember Rule of 10% etc.  You are younger than me & your body is probably more resiliant, but nevertheless, need to be smart in the time you have. Couldn't agree more...I've been pretty good about listening to my body in the past - resting when I feel like I need it. That doesn't stop me from getting moody about missing a workout of course! =)

R

PS. I note you also have a bike race in June...This would presumably inserted as long bike ride that week, but may require rest after...yup, it's a charity ride I'm doing for diabetes called Tour de Cure - about 75 miles which should leave me wasted for a day or two even though I'm not "racing" it. 

Thanks for forcing me to think a little harder about some of these things...I do have a detailed plan, I just haven't followed it very closely lately. Today was supposed to be a time trial swim but I couldn't sneak away from work this morning and I'm going to the James Taylor concert with my mom tonight!

I replied to your points above in red.

Edited by dhopman 2010-05-11 5:35 PM

2010-05-11 8:35 PM

User image

Regular
Sun Diego
Long day... decent swim and run today (log updated).  Planning to do Encinitas T1 through Finish again tomorow.  Helping with kid's homework then crashing early.

Have a great night all.
2010-05-12 4:30 AM
in reply to: #2852484

User image

Expert
Canada
dhopman - 2010-05-11 7:34 PM
GoGoGo - 2010-05-11 2:44 AM

Phase 1: "get run distance up".  Where did you leave off on weekly mileage.  I've been averaging about 1.5 hrs/wk running thanks to my bum knee. How often did you run 2x/wk & are you planning to run.  What was your LSD (7 miles) & where do you plan to get it in 4 weeks. New plan is 3runs/wk, with LSD in the 1.5 hr range - north of 10ish miles, but not by much.

Phase 2:  Get run speed up...really depends on Answer above.  Might not worry about this, depending on above. Plan is to incorporate some interval workouts - track or dreadmill, where I push my comfort zone a bit - 10k pace or faster maybe.

Phase 2:" Bike:  Getting distance up"...from what to what in what time. Most of my rides are in the 30m range...HIM is 56m so just want to get used to being in the saddle a little longer. I'm thinking one 2+ hr ride on weekends.

Bricks...I like 'em, but incorporating into above plan in 10 weeks.  Where & how much? During the week, tack on 20-30 minutes of running after a 1-1.5 hr ride. Once a week at best. I've done these before, spin at the gym, then run outside for a bit.

For a short time...10 weeks, I would try & have my big workouts planned, keeping in mind, some of the questions above.  Trying to remember Rule of 10% etc.  You are younger than me & your body is probably more resiliant, but nevertheless, need to be smart in the time you have. Couldn't agree more...I've been pretty good about listening to my body in the past - resting when I feel like I need it. That doesn't stop me from getting moody about missing a workout of course! =)

R

PS. I note you also have a bike race in June...This would presumably inserted as long bike ride that week, but may require rest after...yup, it's a charity ride I'm doing for diabetes called Tour de Cure - about 75 miles which should leave me wasted for a day or two even though I'm not "racing" it. 

Thanks for forcing me to think a little harder about some of these things...I do have a detailed plan, I just haven't followed it very closely lately. Today was supposed to be a time trial swim but I couldn't sneak away from work this morning and I'm going to the James Taylor concert with my mom tonight!

I replied to your points above in red.

Well, sounds like you have a plan & that is what is important.  10 weeks is a relatively time.  Luckily you are building on the the Oly, you just did.

Would be careful with the intervals.   easy way for an injury, especially where you have been averaging <20k per week.  If you are running 3X per week, then Long, "routine" & maybe tempo.

Otherwise, sounds like you have most things covered... 
2010-05-12 8:13 AM

User image

Regular

Looks like all you are kicking azz.  I haven't had much to say given I still dont feel like riding a bike and have reduced most of my run volume and tried to split it into 2 shorter sessions.  I have been spendig 3 days a week in the gym doing a upper body lower body rotating schedule.  While it is a negative that I still have 2 more weeks before the pool opens and my Azz is keeping me off the Bike I am making great progress on the Bodybuilding side of the fence LOL!! ... I have lost about another 1% Body fat and added about a pound of weight at the same hydration level in the past 4 weeks.  Yes I know mass slows you down in tri's but Lets face it I'm not that Damn fast anyway so I might as well look good doing them when I get to it.  Looks like I'll be back at the doctors office next week looking at alternate fix for my problem.  Later guys Keep up the good work. 

2010-05-12 8:34 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Good morning!

It looked like rain last night but I got on the bike anyway. It never rained! I got a good 30 mile ride in last night again keeping the hr low around 150. I'm actually surprised at the avg speed I carry at low hr. It's not much slower than when I'm working hard. Anyhow, completed the brick with T2 practice in my garage and a 4 mile jog. My left knee bothered me a little. I normally would have pushed through that, but since I'm so close to Xterra I decided to stop a couple times and stretch. I almost forgot how heavy your legs feel on a brick! LOL Overall, it was a good night that almost didn't happen cuz it looked like it was going to pour rain out there!

Edited by Meulen 2010-05-12 8:34 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108