BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-08-22 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3654592

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!

JEFF -

About 300 miles each way to West Point, and about 440 each way to Mossman, and while the hip wasn't perfect during those loooong drives, it was manageable and didn't have any effect on either race. Loading the bike into the car on Saturday morning elicited a sharp muscle pull in my right mid-back, and I nursed that all the way down and into the evening. At times it felt like I migth've received a vicious cross-check in hocky or lacrosse, and going to bed in the motel was still not great. But waking up yesterday morning it was fine, and I felt it only slightly twice on the bike. Another bullet dodged!!

I have dismounted like that hundreds of times, and do it off of training rides -- just in case. I always use the shorter 20 oz water bottles just so as to better avoid the time I don't lift my leg enough and it catches on the left-side bottle top. I think that is what happened yesterday, aided by dodging the old dodderer and abetted by doing a correction swerve too close to dismount. Oops! I think it is quite amazing that I didn't do a full-blown backwards sprawl with bike on top of me, but somehow my balance kicked in nicely. Must be all the Yoga!

This is really a weird run. I had never crashed until the big one in June '09, and not the slightest tumble since then -- until 13 days ago, and now three episodes in that span. Mercy!

2011-08-22 9:22 PM
in reply to: #3435045

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Steve,

Your daughter's getting married!  Hey, does that mean you might become a grandfather in the not-too-distant future?

2011-08-22 11:00 PM
in reply to: #3654671

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Define "not-too-distant"!

She is starting business school today at Stern, the b-school arm of NYU. This is a two-year program, of course, and I'm sure after finishing it she will be desperate to return to work -- partly to re-establish, partly to pay off massive loans. I'm not sure how they're doing this, living in NYC and all, and hoping to keep their heads above water. She has done well, and he does well too --- but all THAT well to afford NYC rent and pricey business school??

Did you know that the nuickname for NYU athletic teams is Violets? It is, and it came from all of the violets that grow profusely in Washington Square, at the foot of NYU. A few years ago there was an attempt to muscularize the nickname, to what exactly I can't remember, but mostly Violets has stuck. JSYK!

2011-08-22 11:12 PM
in reply to: #3654620

User image

Champion

JEFF again -

Changing focus is good, throwing in the towel not so good!

Three years into this stuff isn't too long at all, and you still have age working in your favor. I'm sure I have said before that my former coach used to say that it takes about five years to become a strong cyclist, and that was about dead-on for me. My running was always quite strong, but got cosnistently better (and especially in concert with cycling -- that is, "off the bike") about '07, which would've been my 8th season.

As for the swim, I work on something every off-season, but rarely see the full desired effects once the next season begins. I learned this several years ago.....but still persist in showing up 3-4 times a week. And for what?? Ultimately, i guess, it's the basic joy of the act of swimming, and trying to maintain some baseline off-season swim fitness. But as I siad recently, i wonder howmuch of the latter is really happening, or to flip in over -- would I really lose much of it if I didn't swim for 4-6 months?

I am really encouraged by the swims at West Point and Mossman, but still figure the sky will collapse on some race, soon enough. That's a poor way to operate, but at least in the interim I am continuing to swim at higher cadence and hope it continues to pay off. Yesterday's swim put me in the top 1/4 of all swimmers, and coming off the previous week's top 30% or whatever it was, well, both of those were just wild fantasies, oh, about this same time last year. And yesterday's WAS that asterisk one, so there is that to help keep me grounded and humble.

And as with WP, yesterday was good with higher turnover rate, but not so good at "beathing on demand", as 97% my breathing was every other stroke, as opposed to the periodic fourth stroke breathing. Still a work-in-progress!

2011-08-23 4:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Gotta toot my horn - this is part of the YWCA race report I just got by email.  The highlighting is mine, of course.

Top First-Timer honors went to Racquel Wohlk (age 14) with a 42nd place finish in 1:23:36. Her time was three minutes faster and her age 16 years younger than 2010's First Timer winner! At the top of most age groups were the overall winners. However, starting in the elite wave and taking top honors made them ineligible for age group awards. Those taking the top spot in age groups were Racquel Wohlk (14-19), Ali Norgel (20-24), Susan Griffee (25-29), Brenda Trok (30-34), Lynne Miller (35-39), Taryn Dahl (40-44), Amy Klosterman (45-49), Susan Skinner (50-54), Carol Markham-Cousins (55-59). This year's 60-64 age group was 30% larger with 23 strong competitors and was led by Patricia Golfis in 1:39:44. Denise Kaiser of Pine River, MN, took first and an astounding 25 minutes off of the 65-69 age group record. And for the fourth year in a row, crowd favorite Judy Rykken (2:01:56) once again owned the 70-74 age group and, with another year under her belt, bettered her time on the longer course.

2011-08-23 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3655975

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
LadyNorth - 2011-08-23 5:22 PM

Gotta toot my horn - this is part of the YWCA race report I just got by email.  The highlighting is mine, of course.

Top First-Timer honors went to Racquel Wohlk (age 14) with a 42nd place finish in 1:23:36. Her time was three minutes faster and her age 16 years younger than 2010's First Timer winner! At the top of most age groups were the overall winners. However, starting in the elite wave and taking top honors made them ineligible for age group awards. Those taking the top spot in age groups were Racquel Wohlk (14-19), Ali Norgel (20-24), Susan Griffee (25-29), Brenda Trok (30-34), Lynne Miller (35-39), Taryn Dahl (40-44), Amy Klosterman (45-49), Susan Skinner (50-54), Carol Markham-Cousins (55-59). This year's 60-64 age group was 30% larger with 23 strong competitors and was led by Patricia Golfis in 1:39:44. Denise Kaiser of Pine River, MN, took first and an astounding 25 minutes off of the 65-69 age group record. And for the fourth year in a row, crowd favorite Judy Rykken (2:01:56) once again owned the 70-74 age group and, with another year under her belt, bettered her time on the longer course.

Wow!!

2011-08-23 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3654774

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

stevebradley - 2011-08-23 12:12 AM JEFF again -  And for what?? Ultimately, i guess, it's the basic joy of the act of swimming,

And that's the KEY!!!  A basic joy of training.

2011-08-24 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3655975

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Now THAT'S pretty nifty! You get a fair bit of notoriety in your community, and that says a lot about the cohesiveness of where you live. Yes?

I think that where I live is similar --- but for the right demographic type. That is, we live in a Francophone farming community, and while we have been here for 20 years now, we are still basically outsiders. The merchants and businesses in the town recognize us and treat us very well, but I can't imagine any of the local weekly newspapers writing about me. Were I a true Francoiphone native here, however, it might be different.

I'm not complaining, as I understand why it works this way. At our end, or especially my end, I make no effort (with no French in my speaking repertoire) to meet people halfway. Plus, we live a few miles outside the village itself, so that restircts contact even more. Way back when, when the kids were in youth hockey and soccer, we were slightly more a part of things, but alas and woe, no more.

ANYHOW, that blurb on your accomplishment was great. Do you save any of your "press clippings"?

2011-08-24 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3656624

User image

Champion

DENISE again -

Going back a few days ago to your Pickle post, I don't know why some timing companies are so quick and others so slow. West Point uses a slow one, but for Mossman it was really fast. Another gripe about WP is that all that is posted on race day is total time; no individual splits anywhere. At Mossman (and most races), what's posted on site included splits. I would hate to cost someone their job, but I have half a mind to write to WP and tell them the good and bad of the race....with maybe the only bad being the timing. It's been like this both years, and seeing as how virtually every other timing company does a better job, I think the one timing WP should get with it.

Probably the fastest company anywhere is Sportstats, which is Canadian-based yet does many of the M-dot races as well. Their stuff is always on line within a few hours, but there are no options for sorting through by age groups. So, to find how other M60-64 did in each area, I just have to scroll down (or up ), and look at each line; there is no grouping of M60-64, complete with splits.

You're lucky to have Pickle in your area, and I will give props to triandduit, who timed Mossman. Way to go, you two!!

Edited by stevebradley 2011-08-24 7:53 AM
2011-08-24 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3656199

User image

Champion

JEFF -

Funny thing, maybe, but I get more joy from swimming than either cycling or running. Let me clarify that -- I enjoy the act of swimming more than that of the other two. When race day comes it never plays out like that, but for day-to-day training, swimming is #1. (Race day -- bike is #1, run is #2, swim is #3) (When I have a mechanical or a mishap, however, the bike becomes about #8!)

This will be a factor when I think about how much I am willing to reduce my off-season swimming; that is, can I happily stay away from the pool?? I kvetch about pools, to be sure, and once OWS is possible that is ALL I do (I haven't been in a pool since May 29....but have done 53 open water swims since then), and it will stay that way until about mid-October. But to not swim for x months? I don't think I can pull tat off with a smile on my face.

2011-08-24 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3653006

User image

Champion

DENISE -

As a follow-up to my post to you this morning about timing companies, here's something to amuse yourself with -- the ultimate in results-skulking!

Go to www.sportstats.ca, and then the page that comes up will have "Find An Athlete". Type in Bradley, Casselman, Steve, and leave the year and month boxes at "all". What you'll get is a complete rap sheet of my races that have been timed by Sportstats, and clicking on any of them brings up the splits, as approapriate. And for the ones that have a picture of a camera at the left side of the splits, that'll bring up the photo page for Zoom Photo.

How cool is that.....and imagine how nefariously I have used it to chheck out my worthy opposition?!?

2011-08-24 6:52 PM
in reply to: #3657825

User image

Champion

DENISE again -

And speaking of photos, the company (not Zoom) that did Mossman got 36 of me. Thirty-six! Holy moly!!

I am actually pleased with over half of them, which is quite rare to have that percentage that aren't gag-inducing. Well, to say "pleased" is a bit much. About ten are truly pleasing, with another ten or so being ones that are overall okay.

Again, though, I am proof that 62-year-olds PROBABLY should not wear caps backwards. I am sure I didn't reverse it until at least half the run was done, but of the 18 or so run ones, only 2 or 3 have it worn "normally". Oops!

Several of me emerging from the water, with at least three showing me struggling with getting the right sleeve off the wrist. And one of them shows me with the left shoulder strap hanging halfway down my arm. Such sexiness!

I will dig up the link to those later. Maybe.

2011-08-24 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3657835

User image

Champion

BIKE MISHAP #4 (I thought I was done after #3!!!)

Ran into a construction sign today. I had my head down, and caught it at the top of my vision just in time. It was a temporary one, supposedly held in place one a wooden brace with two sandbags, but for wahtever reason it was leaning about 20 degrees into the bike lane/breakdown lane. I was able to duck so that it glanced off my helmet, but that then deflected it onto my shoulder. The shoulder "pointer" is scraped and bloody and quite sopre, as is the wide area around it.

I was just going easy, as this was my recovery ride from Sunday's race. I was going intoi a good wind and maybe at 17mph is all, and that saved me from heaven knows what. Had I been at speed, or had I not seen it, it would've creamed me but good and likely knocked me backwards off the bike. As it is, I didn't fall and barely wavered, but I was stunned. I kept going another few hundred yards to my turnaround,a nd on the way back I took the sign (which I had knocked down on contact) and threw it in the ditch, with the platform following. As for the sandbags, I gutted them and left them there, seeping sand. That made my psyche feel good....but had no beneficial effects on my shoulder. I am monitoring that closely, but i think it is nothing too serious.

NOW can I please go back to cycling without incident?!?!?

2011-08-24 7:07 PM
in reply to: #3657849

User image

Champion

My Mossman photos ---

www.capstonephotostore.com, then scroll down to Park City Mossman, and my bib was 194.

2011-08-24 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3657835

User image

Champion

DENISE once more -

Actually, just two with the cap worn the way it was meant to be worn --- and probably as should be worn by a dignified (cough, cough) senior citizen. Ack.

2011-08-24 7:31 PM
in reply to: #3656646

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

stevebradley - 2011-08-24 9:00 AM JEFF - day-to-day training, swimming is #1. (Race day -- bike is #1, run is #2, swim is #3) (When I have a mechanical or a mishap, however, the bike becomes about #8!

#8,, Ha.Ha.  For me it varies.  Sometimes swimming is #1, sometimes it's the bike or run.  Anything with INTENSITY equates to #8 in my book!!!  Have I said that I don't like pain? 

2011-08-24 7:36 PM
in reply to: #3657849

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

stevebradley - 2011-08-24 8:00 PM BIKE MISHAP #4 (I thought I was done after #3!!!) Ran into a construction sign today. I had my head down, and caught it at the top of my vision just in time. It was a temporary one, supposedly held in place one a wooden brace with two sandbags, but for wahtever reason it was leaning about 20 degrees into the bike lane/breakdown lane. I was able to duck so that it glanced off my helmet, but that then deflected it onto my shoulder. The shoulder "pointer" is scraped and bloody and quite sopre, as is the wide area around it. I was just going easy, as this was my recovery ride from Sunday's race. I was going intoi a good wind and maybe at 17mph is all, and that saved me from heaven knows what. Had I been at speed, or had I not seen it, it would've creamed me but good and likely knocked me backwards off the bike. As it is, I didn't fall and barely wavered, but I was stunned. I kept going another few hundred yards to my turnaround,a nd on the way back I took the sign (which I had knocked down on contact) and threw it in the ditch, with the platform following. As for the sandbags, I gutted them and left them there, seeping sand. That made my psyche feel good....but had no beneficial effects on my shoulder. I am monitoring that closely, but i think it is nothing too serious. NOW can I please go back to cycling without incident?!?!?

Take it indoors Steve... but lately that might even be a hazard for you 

2011-08-24 7:50 PM
in reply to: #3657894

User image

Champion

JEFF -

Or give it up entirely?? This is just getting weird and spooky, looking over my shoulder and wondering what will happen next.

Changing topics, see the next post. You're quite cerebral about this stuff, and it might interest you. Or not?!

2011-08-24 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3657917

User image

Champion

---------------------- Race-Math Thoughts ---------------------

Mossman brought me up against an age-old problem for triathletes, to wit: How much to save on the bike so as to maximize the run.

I rode the flat, five-loop course quite hard, knowing I was pushing some limits. I did it in 1:07:09, which is about 22.2mph. On the last loop I dialed it back some in prep for the run, and for the last 2/3 mile or so I did what i have mentioned here, which is alternate grinding out of the saddel and faster, easier spinning, just to wake up my running muscles some.

The run was pretty decent, but not comfortable and not the time I would've preferred. I did it in 47:48, and ~46 would've been an ideal for me.

So! Just as a trade-off of times, let's say I could swap two minutes on the bike in order to get two minutes faster on the run, or 45:48.

To this end I went to one of the calculation websites, and put in 1:09:09 instead of my 1:07:09. That gave me a speed for the 25 miles of 21.7mph, and quite frankly I'm not sure my body would've run any faster off of that bike time/pace than it did off the 1:07:09/22.2mph. In that light, then, it was wise for me to push the bike hard.....and kind of hang on and push through the run.

Another way to work at this is to figure out what bike pace I would need to ensure a run of ~46 minutes, and that would maybe be 20mph -- but that would've increased my bike time by several minutes, while only netting me an extra two minutes on the run. NOT WORTH IT!!

I guess, then, that for people with some experience who can run prtty comfortably off the bike, it is best to maximize bike speed, which will trump run speed --- assuming the capabilities are basically equal for both disciplines.

Or something like that!!

2011-08-24 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3657925

User image

Champion

Follow-up to the above:

MAYBE I could've done ~46 on the run had I kept at about 20mph on the bike, but that bike speed would've taken me 1:15 for the 25 miles. So, to have two minutes faster on the run would've cost me about SEVEN minutes on the bike --- bad trade-off, I think!

All Power to the Pedals?

2011-08-24 10:12 PM

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast

It has been a hetic 3 weeks here in NC, a poor OLY race, a wife in the hospital that under went emergency surgery for an obstructrive bowel (she is doing great now) and I only owe her a cruise vice the Hawaii trip for not taking her into the emergency room sooner (long story) , and now of course Irene. 

A quick scan of the posts seems late congrats are in order for Steve and Mandy's adoption.  Steve great race reports and thanks for  sharing your insights. Sorry to hear about the bike mishaps but your still in single digits so no worries eh?Wink

My training has taken a big hit and I am wrestling with doing a OLY on the outer banks on 10 Sept (assuming the area doesn't get competely wiped out this week end).  My run is what I am concerned with.  Last race I had a great swim overall, it was a clock wise triangle and I stayed on the inside to the first turn, so there was a bit of bumping which slowed me slightly.  I also swung wide on the first turn so I lost a bit of time there.  But overall, I swam straighter and came out of the water in good shape.  T1 was slow but I did have to stop and get a picture with my wife.  Bike started good however I gained a whole lot of experience on this leg.  First I shifted my nutrition plan.  Instead of one water bottle with one bottle of gatoraid, I shifted to two bottles of G2 gatoraid.  To make matters worse I used 1 scoop per bottle which I later found out was the amount you needed for 1 gallon.  Maybe I will start reading the directions.  Anyway lets not stop there shall we.  So I also did 1 gel every 15 minutes and even popped in one of Steve's famous perp tablets (yes it does suck out every bit of moisture from every cavity in you head and throat.  So at about mile 20 the pack I was riding with was no longer visible and by the time I made it to t2 I was in trouble.  Convincing myself to leave T2 I could not even maintain a slow jog.  For the first 3 miles I was sick to my stomach and contemplated just going over to the side and letting everything come up.  However, I stuck it out and by mile 3 everything started to settle down until I came to the water station which only had heed available.  So without much thought I grabbed a cup and instantly my stomach was in a complete knot. So essentially I walked the entire 6 miles.  I was a bit depressed for the following week since I have been following a IM plan and thought a OLY would be a good opportunity to check my progress.  Ah, gaining experience is always humbling.  So since that time I have shifted to a HIM plan for my A race in late Oct. however, I have only been training 4x/ week.

Anyway that is the happenings in NC other than hurricane preps............

JK

2011-08-25 6:54 AM
in reply to: #3658100

User image

Champion

JK -

Great to hnear from you, glad to know you're still hanging in there despite some minor problems -- wife's surgery, hurricane preps, vicious over-fueling during the race. I'm not to qualified to talk about the first two, but will add a few cents' worth about the fueling.

I too have been the victim of drinks that are mixed too strongly, and it is a very wretched thing. My problem is slightly different, though, in that what seems to taste fine when mixed before the race suddenly becomes way too strong once I'm on the bike; this ahs ahpened many times, at any distance. I fared well this past weekend, though, going through the one 20oz bottle of HEED, as well as a couple of swigs from a 1/3-full water bottle.

The problem with so much of the nutrition "stuff" is that it won't work if it can't be ingested, so even having drinks and gels on board doesn't guarantee that they will be used; this is what happens when I develop a distaste for my drink. And in your case, of course, reading the directions first would probably help!

Another direction to follow more closely is the one for gels, most of which recommend one every 45 minutes or so. I cannot imagine how my stomach would rebel if I did one every 15 minutes, so it's no wonder you were experiencing gastric distress in a severe way. Mercy!

Without doing the math, the nutrition you ook in for the oly was comparable to waht might serve one well for an entire IM bike ride and part of the run. Or maybe the swim and then the bike. Whichever, it is a huge amount of carbohydrate, as well as big hits of sodium and probably potassium -- and that's just thinking of the gels alone. As for the HEED, that would add a couple other electrolytes to the cauldron that your stomach had become.....and the one Perpetuem tablet would put some unhelpful protein as a garnish of sorts. Yikes!

FWIW, my oly fueling will be a few swigs of HEED pre-race, and then a gel about 15 minutes before the swim. Maybe a few chomps of a Clif Mojo bar pre-race, too. The bike will see me go through about 20oz of HEED and some water. Depending on the day and how I'm feeling, I might have a gel at the start of the run, and then another about halfway; at Mossman on Sunday, it was just a gel at about 2.5km. I grabbed another gel at the 5km station, but didn't use it. If my stomach is fine (as it was there), I will drink whatever energy drink they are serving at most aid stations, and then douse with water, maybe having a wee slurp as well.

I'm sure that years ago I figured out what I was adding to my system using that protocol, but now I no longer think in terms of numbers but rather just broadly what works....mostly. For you, you really don't even need to bother calculating what you took in -- you know that you suffered dearly from it, and a complete overhaul is in order!

Remember, the goal is not to figure out what will be lost and then try to get it all back in during the race; that is always impossible. It is also part of the reason why decent post-race drinking and eating is important, especially within the firt hour after completion of the race or workout. For most people, adding those 24g or so of carbs every 45 minutes will serve them well enough, as will whatever amount of sodium and potassium is included, that come in the standard gel.

Another FWIW is that when I run-train I only use water. In hot weather I will "plant" a couple of bottles along the route, and if it's 10km or over I might have a gel before I start. I never use an energy drink on training runs. The bike, though, is the opposite, where I will always have a bottle of (usually) HEED in one of my cages. If it's hot there might be some water in another bottle, and the only gel I will take is before I start. That's how it is for rides less than two hours; for longer ones I might have a gel in one of my pockets.

Finally, as you are aiming for an oly (or is it a HIM?) in October, that gives you lots of time to refine your nutrition. I really recommend bringing it right back to basics of a gel every 45 minutes (okay, you could try every 35), and the odd hit of energy drink. And thinking quickly here, here's another FWIW -- I don't drink on the bike for at least 10 minutes into it, and often 15 minutes. That's because I have probably taken in enough water during the swim so I sure don't need hydration, and going for the bottle is just one more thing to fuss with; so I put that out of my mind for the first 5 or 6 miles.

Finally-finally, when feeling sick it probably is wise to take a sharp right (or left) and just let it go -- even fingers down the throat if necessary. The problem then is getting some stuff back in you, but when feeling nauseous that isn't happening anyhow, right? Now, having said that, there is only one race in which I felt I wanted the throw up....and I took a right into the bushes.....and only dry-heaved for a minute or so. But that (along with some forced burping afterwards) did the trick, and I made it through the rest of the run (i was about 6 miles into a HIM run) without further gastric misery.

So! That's that! Please keep in touch, and I will send mojo your way this weekend that Irene sterrs mostly clear of you. I will channel my inner Leadbelly (appropriate for this post! ) and sing "Goodnight, Irene!"

I'll catch you on the flip side.

And........which race is your Oct "A" race?

2011-08-25 7:38 PM
in reply to: #3657925

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

stevebradley - 2011-08-24 9:03 PM ---------------------- Race-Math Thoughts --------------------- Mossman brought me up against an age-old problem for triathletes, to wit: How much to save on the bike so as to maximize the run. I rode the flat, five-loop course quite hard, knowing I was pushing some limits. I did it in 1:07:09, which is about 22.2mph. On the last loop I dialed it back some in prep for the run, and for the last 2/3 mile or so I did what i have mentioned here, which is alternate grinding out of the saddel and faster, easier spinning, just to wake up my running muscles some. The run was pretty decent, but not comfortable and not the time I would've preferred. I did it in 47:48, and ~46 would've been an ideal for me. So! Just as a trade-off of times, let's say I could swap two minutes on the bike in order to get two minutes faster on the run, or 45:48. To this end I went to one of the calculation websites, and put in 1:09:09 instead of my 1:07:09. That gave me a speed for the 25 miles of 21.7mph, and quite frankly I'm not sure my body would've run any faster off of that bike time/pace than it did off the 1:07:09/22.2mph. In that light, then, it was wise for me to push the bike hard.....and kind of hang on and push through the run. Another way to work at this is to figure out what bike pace I would need to ensure a run of ~46 minutes, and that would maybe be 20mph -- but that would've increased my bike time by several minutes, while only netting me an extra two minutes on the run. NOT WORTH IT!! I guess, then, that for people with some experience who can run prtty comfortably off the bike, it is best to maximize bike speed, which will trump run speed --- assuming the capabilities are basically equal for both disciplines. Or something like that!!

Steve,

Sounds like to me you made the right decision if the goal was to finish the overall race in the fastest time (rather than finishing the race with a 46 min. 10K). 

Putting the calculator aside for a second you have one huge advantage over most of us in the group.  That being, EXPERIENCE.  You are really dialed into how hard to push without going over the cliff.  For me, its a little more dicey because on more than one occasion I have pushed the bike too hard and exploded on the run (i.e.. walked).  When I explode on the run it is very, very costly (my explosions can be quite glorious!!).   As the race distance increases the price to be paid gets bigger and bigger.  So when you roll the dice and I roll the dice the odds are not the same.  You are a much more seasoned dice roller than me!!!

I have always been taught to "be strong in the end".  Having said all that I still push the bike so I'm often left wondering "what if's" at the end of the race.  I have been told that you have had a well paced race if you can run with a 7% degregation of your fresh run pace.  That is kind of how I try and measure my performance. 

I guess a lot of this is live and learn.  Even the pro's often get wrong.  That is,  if your name is not Chrissie Wellington!!!

2011-08-25 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3659975

User image

Champion

JEFF -

Yes, at some point I got it so that I could strike a balance between bike and run wherein I could push the bike hard and not pay dearly on the run -- or at least run the risk of paying dearly. I should try to figure out when that was. Maybe '03, which would've been my fourth season, was when it began to kinda sorta come together.

My biggest blow-ups (meaning the more compelling walk sessions!) have been in half-irons, so i agree about what can ahppen when the distances increase. With my two irons I was wide enough to pace smart enough on the bike so that my walk efforts were not too pronounced, but half-irons go into that gray zone where there is still hope for speed. I only have to look at my HIM from last August to see what happened when I played the bike card with too much bravado!

I haven't heard that figure about 7%, and I find that very intriguing. I can still hope to do a stand-alone 10km in about 43', which is 2580 seconds, and 7% of that is 180s, or three minutes......so is your source saying that if I pace well I can hope for an oly run of 46'? If so, that's what I aim for, which I guess makes a worthy goal. Cool bans! I hit it a few times last year, even exceeding it twice, but it wasn't to be at Mossman. So it goes.....

As for Chrissie, she always seems to get it right, doesn't she?

2011-08-25 9:20 PM
in reply to: #3660009

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

stevebradley - 2011-08-25 9:29 PM JEFF - Yes, at some point I got it so that I could strike a balance between bike and run wherein I could push the bike hard and not pay dearly on the run -- or at least run the risk of paying dearly. I should try to figure out when that was. Maybe '03, which would've been my fourth season, was when it began to kinda sorta come together. My biggest blow-ups (meaning the more compelling walk sessions!) have been in half-irons, so i agree about what can ahppen when the distances increase. With my two irons I was wide enough to pace smart enough on the bike so that my walk efforts were not too pronounced, but half-irons go into that gray zone where there is still hope for speed. I only have to look at my HIM from last August to see what happened when I played the bike card with too much bravado! I haven't heard that figure about 7%, and I find that very intriguing. I can still hope to do a stand-alone 10km in about 43', which is 2580 seconds, and 7% of that is 180s, or three minutes......so is your source saying that if I pace well I can hope for an oly run of 46'? If so, that's what I aim for, which I guess makes a worthy goal. Cool bans! I hit it a few times last year, even exceeding it twice, but it wasn't to be at Mossman. So it goes..... As for Chrissie, she always seems to get it right, doesn't she?

4th season - that's encouraging being that I'm in my 3rd.  However, I have a feeling your a much faster learner than I!!

7% figure -  I think I got that from Bobby McGee during an IMTalk podcast.  I believe he was predicting how fast some of the pros, namely Rasmus Henning, could run a fresh marathon.  I also believe I read it somewhere in one of Joe Friel's blogs.  BTW: I don't know if you have ever heard Bobby McGee speak?  He's really good.

Chrissie - she sure does get it right.  Beats all the women and most of the men.  What an athlete!!

I'm off early Friday morning to Florida State to push our last baby out of the nest.  He's ready.  Mom's NOT (it's not going to be a fun drive back)!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57