of 64

2011-09-16 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3688951

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED
DirkP - 2011-09-16 7:50 AM

Ive got my long run for the day coming up soon.  It funny how a couple of weeks ago I was getting out of bed extra early to beat some pretty intense heat and now I am stalling a little until the temperature comes up to a more comfortable one.  Right now it is 42 degrees, which is very nice, but I would like to see something closer to the upper 40's before I head out.  Come race day this would be pretty ideal temperatures, but for now I would like to warm up a little.

Jonathon, you're probably not complaining about temps out in sunny Cali, are you?

Wow...yeah, man, 42 degrees is a bit chilly.  That's sort of all of a sudden too, eh?  I am definitely not complaining.  I'm working second shift and my morning runs have been cloudy and 65 degrees every day.  No humidity at all.  Although...if I wait too long the sun comes out and just fries me.  I've done three good workouts this week.  Today my shin is still a bit sore, so I'm going to skip my run and swim at the pool.  I've got a lot going on and evidently have to move apartment complexes because of some mix-up....good fun.  What else should I expect from the government?

2011-09-16 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3325249

User image

NH

Love that SD weather.  It's been hot/humid up here in the nrotheast until today, so we're about to be in the same boat Dirk.  40 this morning, 30's tonight.  Fall/winter is on the way for sure as some trees are already starting to change color.

Can't wait to see how that marathon plays out Dirk; even with some twists and turns you've kept on track.   I really need to get some lessons on the mental side of things in this endurance world from you.  You seem to have that part nailed.

No word from Jeff, hopefully everything went well.

I've been sidelined as this cold/flu/sinus thing has moved into my chest.  I've tried to get out and run but it's just a disaster the last few days.  I'm gonna wait it out and get after it when I'm healthy.

2011-09-16 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3682270

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
Subject: Need a new Forerunner 305
The enter button on my Forerunner has stopped working.  Which makes it hard to use. I don't suppose any of you know of a good online deal for one?  The best I can find is $134 w/ free shipping from Amazon.
2011-09-16 1:11 PM

User image

Ellensburg, WA
Subject: Xterra Nationals
I've got a bit of crazy news, sorry for not checking on here for a while. Hope you're doing well Jeff. My wife and I did the Xterra BD this summer and she found out last week that she qualified for the nationals held in Ogden, UT, 12 hour drive. I told her she should do it but she doesn't want to go down there and finish last. Sorry to say she would definately be close to last. I missed out on qualifying by 1 spot. Guess that Whisky Dick Triathlon the week before cost me qualifying. Oh well. Yesterday I checked out Triathlon Magazine to find out that Lance Armstrong is returning to the world of triathlon at Nationals. Even that hasn't encouraged her to go get lapped by Lance. I sure would like to be there to see him finish and it would have been great to say that I raced with Lance. Maybe another time. 
2011-09-16 1:57 PM

User image

NH

Perfect timing Ryan - I actually just saw the Lance news and posted on the main site.  You guys should go, DFL at nationals is still nationals.  It would be a once in a lifetime experience to see Lance's debut.  Well, not his debut, but his return.

2011-09-16 5:36 PM
in reply to: #3689741

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
wbayek - 2011-09-16 1:57 PM

Perfect timing Ryan - I actually just saw the Lance news and posted on the main site.  You guys should go, DFL at nationals is still nationals.  It would be a once in a lifetime experience to see Lance's debut.  Well, not his debut, but his return.

You definitely should go.  Lance posted on twitter that his goal is to be the first of the men with hairy legs to finish.  :p

2011-09-16 6:21 PM
in reply to: #3689415

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Need a new Forerunner 305

bdj6020 - 2011-09-16 11:41 AM The enter button on my Forerunner has stopped working.  Which makes it hard to use. I don't suppose any of you know of a good online deal for one?  The best I can find is $134 w/ free shipping from Amazon.

Call Garmin dude. they will fix or replace it for cheap.  happened to me before...quick turnaround too.

2011-09-17 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3690100

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jgerbodegrant - 2011-09-16 7:21 PM

bdj6020 - 2011-09-16 11:41 AM The enter button on my Forerunner has stopped working.  Which makes it hard to use. I don't suppose any of you know of a good online deal for one?  The best I can find is $134 w/ free shipping from Amazon.

Call Garmin dude. they will fix or replace it for cheap.  happened to me before...quick turnaround too.

I think the batter in mine is going downhill very fast.  I might call them to see about replacement from them and turn around versus total replacement.   I am actually concerned that it won't hold out for the marathon coming up.  I got a battery alarm on yesterday's 20 mile run but the watch held out until about 30 minutes after the run ended.

2011-09-17 5:06 PM
in reply to: #3690357

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
DirkP - 2011-09-17 8:45 AM

I think the batter in mine is going downhill very fast.  I might call them to see about replacement from them and turn around versus total replacement.   I am actually concerned that it won't hold out for the marathon coming up.  I got a battery alarm on yesterday's 20 mile run but the watch held out until about 30 minutes after the run ended.

Yeah, it's WAY cheaper.  I think it cost me something like $20 or $30 to get mine fixed a few years ago and it's still working perfect.  My fiance now uses it and I use my POS timex global trainer.  Actually...it's not really a POS.  It just takes a long time to get reception and that's annoying when you're ready to roll and only have 30 minutes to do your run.

2011-09-18 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3690708

User image

NH
jgerbodegrant - 2011-09-17 6:06 PM
DirkP - 2011-09-17 8:45 AM

Yeah, it's WAY cheaper.  I think it cost me something like $20 or $30 to get mine fixed a few years ago and it's still working perfect.  My fiance now uses it and I use my POS timex global trainer.  Actually...it's not really a POS.  It just takes a long time to get reception and that's annoying when you're ready to roll and only have 30 minutes to do your run.

Haha, love that quote.  How do we always end up with the leftovers? I have a Polar bike computer and the battery was a bear to replace and get the seal back on correctly.  I don't trust it in the water anymore.

I'm getting super frustrated with this cold.  What's the rub with running with chest stuff going on?  I know the rule is above the neck go for it, below the neck heal.  I'm going on a week now and this thing isn't letting up.  My doc said a million people have been in for the same symptoms, but it's viral and seems to last between 3-4 weeks for most people.  Should I just run a little anyway?  I'm getting really frustrated sitting around gaining weight!

2011-09-19 4:43 AM
in reply to: #3690976

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Warren, I say go for the runs if the don't impact the rest of your body.  You should probably take it easy on everything during your runs but otherwise I wouldn't see much harm coming from running.  Also, I don't think I would plan on increasing your distances while struggling with this infection either.

Now that I thought about it, how's everyone doing on the running program that Jeff has you all on?  I am getting really pleased recently that my long miles are almost done.  50 mpw is a pretty good strain on the body but I am adapting the the load.  Last Friday's long run felt really good (for the most part) and it is definitely the best one I have had this season PERIOD.  But I was coming off a rest/recovery week too, so I'll see how the legs feel this Friday.

2011-09-19 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3691595

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
DirkP - 2011-09-19 4:43 AM

Warren, I say go for the runs if the don't impact the rest of your body.  You should probably take it easy on everything during your runs but otherwise I wouldn't see much harm coming from running.  Also, I don't think I would plan on increasing your distances while struggling with this infection either.

Now that I thought about it, how's everyone doing on the running program that Jeff has you all on?  I am getting really pleased recently that my long miles are almost done.  50 mpw is a pretty good strain on the body but I am adapting the the load.  Last Friday's long run felt really good (for the most part) and it is definitely the best one I have had this season PERIOD.  But I was coming off a rest/recovery week too, so I'll see how the legs feel this Friday.

I also say go for a run if you end up hacking and throwing up because you can't breath then you have you answer. 

I'm jealous Dirk.  My long runs are just starting to ramp up in my 50k training program.  Soon I'll have to drop my Sunday bike ride for a 2nd weekend long run.  That's when things will get interesting.  :p

2011-09-19 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3691750

User image

NH
bdj6020 - 2011-09-19 9:07 AM

I also say go for a run if you end up hacking and throwing up because you can't breath then you have you answer. 

I'm jealous Dirk.  My long runs are just starting to ramp up in my 50k training program.  Soon I'll have to drop my Sunday bike ride for a 2nd weekend long run.  That's when things will get interesting.  :p

You and Dirk have convinced me - I'm giving it a try at lunch, it's too nice outside not to at least get out there and move around despite how bad I feel. 

I meant to ask when you first posted this - what's a 50k training program?

2011-09-19 10:44 AM

User image

NH
Not to be too much of a mother hen - but where the heck is Jeff?  I hope everything went ok.
2011-09-19 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3692046

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

wbayek - 2011-09-19 11:44 AM Not to be too much of a mother hen - but where the heck is Jeff?  I hope everything went ok.

I wondered the same thing.  I was hoping to hear something sooner rather than later.  He's probably just not ready to start trying to use his arm for anything.

If you guys need me to be the Drill Instructor in his absence I can do that.....................Get running you lazy bunch of wimp!  You signed up for this abuse so start pounding the pavement you "wanna be's!"  You'll never make runners at this pace!  I can roll father and faster than you can run!

........How am I doing so far?

2011-09-19 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3692046

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

wbayek - 2011-09-19 11:44 AM Not to be too much of a mother hen - but where the heck is Jeff?  I hope everything went ok.

Yeah...same here.  I'm sure when he's feeling up to it he will be on here.

Funny that you ask that Dirk.  My running sucks right now.  I'm dealing with a shin splint in my left leg.  Not sure where it came from, but I'm certainly annoyed that it's there right now.  I'm mitigating the pain well and it's not getting any worse, but not really getting any better either.  I have been very careful with it and am not doing anything over 35 or so minutes.  Doesn't look good for my fall half marathon if I can't get my long runs in there!

But either way...congrats on your weekly mileage.  That's awesome, seriously...200 miles a month?!  I'll be lucky to see 200 miles before next season!

2011-09-19 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3692784

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jgerbodegrant - 2011-09-19 7:59 PM

Funny that you ask that Dirk.  My running sucks right now.  I'm dealing with a shin splint in my left leg.  Not sure where it came from, but I'm certainly annoyed that it's there right now.  I'm mitigating the pain well and it's not getting any worse, but not really getting any better either.  I have been very careful with it and am not doing anything over 35 or so minutes.  Doesn't look good for my fall half marathon if I can't get my long runs in there!

But either way...congrats on your weekly mileage.  That's awesome, seriously...200 miles a month?!  I'll be lucky to see 200 miles before next season!

Have you been dealing with this before you left for Cali?  If not, are you running on a different surface type?  Increased mileage?  Older shoes?

2011-09-19 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3692806

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
DirkP - 2011-09-19 8:25 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-09-19 7:59 PM

Have you been dealing with this before you left for Cali?  If not, are you running on a different surface type?  Increased mileage?  Older shoes?

Yup, before I left.  I got new shoes, but they are a bit different than what I was using before.  I honestly bought them thinking they were the newer model.  That may have been the issue.  I think it's also due to the speedwork I was doing, per my coach's orders.  My issue seemed to be that I can run my 30 second pick-ups at 5:15 pace, but my 5 milers at 9:30 pace.  Not so good for the shins I doubt.

So yeah..I'm only running on dirt paths as much as I can help it right now...helps a bunch.  Using compression and massaging as well.  We'll get there.

2011-09-20 12:13 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Hi folks.  I'm typing with one finger here, so it will be short.

My surgery went fine last week.  today is my first day back to work.  the arm is in a sling for 1 month.  The pain is minor now, while sitting in my sling but the PT movements hurt like crazy  

The procedure took 3 hrs, about twice as long as planned.  the tear was much worse than thought.  i havent talked to the doc yet but saw pics.  looks like it was almost detached from bone.   he used 6 screws to anchor the tendon and did the other planned activities.  he did not need to relocate my bicep!  but i wouldnt know it by the pain in the bicep.

ive had 2 PT sessions so far and they hurt. 

im icing and doing TENS as well as doing passive movements.  by the end of the week i plan to start pedalling a recumbant at the gym.

Dirk, thanks for backing me up with the running group.  Jonathan, we have to get that shin healthy.  Your treatment sounds good, but alter your mileage as necessary.

Thats all for now.  its good to see people training, racing, qualifying for nationals! and talking about it...

2011-09-20 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3692005

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
wbayek - 2011-09-19 10:26 AM

This would be a 50k training program.  Try not to cringe too much when you see it. www.sylamore50k.com is the race I'm targeting.

2011-09-20 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3693534

User image

NH
JeffY - 2011-09-20 1:13 PM

My surgery went fine last week.  today is my first day back to work.  the arm is in a sling for 1 month.  The pain is minor now, while sitting in my sling but the PT movements hurt like crazy  

The procedure took 3 hrs, about twice as long as planned.  the tear was much worse than thought.  i havent talked to the doc yet but saw pics.  looks like it was almost detached from bone.   he used 6 screws to anchor the tendon and did the other planned activities.  he did not need to relocate my bicep!  but i wouldnt know it by the pain in the bicep.

im icing and doing TENS as well as doing passive movements.  by the end of the week i plan to start pedalling a recumbant at the gym.

Dirk, thanks for backing me up with the running group.  Jonathan, we have to get that shin healthy.  Your treatment sounds good, but alter your mileage as necessary.

Thats all for now.  its good to see people training, racing, qualifying for nationals! and talking about it...

Great to hear everything went well, sorry it was a worse tear.  I guess be glad we live in these times when these things are so reparable.  Are the screws permanent or coming out as the tendon reattaches itself?  Keep on that rehab.

2011-09-20 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3693674

User image

NH
bdj6020 - 2011-09-20 2:35 PM

This would be a 50k training program.  Try not to cringe too much when you see it. www.sylamore50k.com is the race I'm targeting.

Looks nasty.  The long runs make up an awfully large percentage of the total on most weeks.  Seems out of whack.

2011-09-20 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3693534

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
JeffY - 2011-09-20 1:13 PM

Good to hear from you Jeff.  Glad to hear the surgery went well.  There always seems to be a little addition to every procedure.  Don't worry about us. Heal up and stick to the PT.

Keep us updated!

2011-09-21 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3693674

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
bdj6020 - 2011-09-20 2:35 PM

Wow...more power to you buddy!  I wish I had the legs for this sort of thing.  I'm large, too large for this silliness!

2011-09-21 10:22 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

This article was posted on the main forum page.  Very interesting and good read.  I'll post it on the running group page as well.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=23910&cm_mmc=Twitter-_-RT-_-Content-Training-_-RunTall

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64