Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-02-15 8:43 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
Did drills and speed work this morning in the Masters pool, did 70 mins of low cadence/high power 3X 15 mins @ 85% with 5 X 1 min pops ever interval @ 110 to 120%.  Lovely stuff.

Then yoga and rollers.

First race is a spring June 5.  Then an Oly July 17, then the IM on 9/11 with a masters open water swim of 2.4 miles and a trip or two to Madison for hard bricks on the course.  Meeting with my coach Friday over coffee to see what else.  He might want an HIM in Aug...Racine would be the only possible. Dunno.  I don't know if its better to do a HIM or do more practicing in Madison.  I see advantages of both.

2011-02-15 11:05 PM
in reply to: #3356962

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-15 7:32 PM KC - glad you are back up and in the game Laughing.

Has everybody seen the new BT app for the Iphone so you can log workouts? Love being able to log on the go!

My first Tri for this year at the moment is my HIM June18. It's actually the only one I have signed up for so far. I am thinking I will sign up for a sprint in May. It's on the same course as my second one I did 2 years ago, I would love to see how much my time might have improved! I have to see if I can swing it $ wise before it sells out.

Thanks for the heads up on the app.  I've been waiting for them to put one out. 
2011-02-16 6:36 AM
in reply to: #3356572

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
First tri is a Sprint, July 23rd.
2011-02-16 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3357043

User image

Veteran
kcgolf - 2011-02-15 8:31 PM
gabrelsj - 2011-02-15 8:36 PM
cspreiter - 2011-02-15 3:05 PM Hey guys, I've been a little out of the loop.  Last couple weeks have been crazy with the weather and packing stuff up.  We're starting to get into slight panic mode about selling our house since we need to be moved before May when school starts.  So now that the weather is nice, most of my free time is spent traveling back and forth to the storage unit or packing boxes or cleaning.  We're changing realtors at the end of the month so hopefully this one will be able to sell our house. 

Needless to say, I haven't had a ton of time to train.  Hopefully after this week, we'll have all the junk we don't need will be packed away so things can get back to normal and I can get back to training on a regular basis.  At least my first olympic is in June so I have some time.

Everyone else seems to be rocking it.  The season is fast approaching. When is everyone's first triathlon this year?  Mine is a sprint on April 17.

trying to find one earlier but right now may 5th- gulf coast tri.

Gulf Coast? Where exactly? My parents are in Panama City Beach.
KC

it is in panama city. 
2011-02-16 9:06 AM

User image

Veteran
i had a good swim today...for me.  i was to do two sets of 1200yds each.  i did the first in 22:59 but i am almost positive i missed 2-4 laps.  i thought i was keeping up with the count but that finish time was too fast for me.  the second was 26:47 and i made sure i counted correctly.  oh well, i was able to breath every two strokes and i did not inhale as much as i possibly could and i think it helped keep my heart rate stay down and i was relaxed for most of the swim.  i used to try and breath every three strokes and i always felt out of breath.  i feel better after todays swim.

tomorrow i am to do a long run but my running partner cant make it so i think i am going to do my first serious brick.  2 hr ride followed by 1 hr run.  i am sure i will get humbled very quickly.
2011-02-16 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3357040

User image

Expert
Nope - No BB App Cry.  I have been following this app deisgn for the last year and everyone keeps asking for the BB but it has taken them I think almost 2 years for the iPhone app so don't hold your breath for any BB to come out too soon.  There is a whole discussion thread that has been going on for a while about this.

kcgolf - 2011-02-15 8:30 PM
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-15 8:32 PM KC - glad you are back up and in the game Laughing.

Has everybody seen the new BT app for the Iphone so you can log workouts? Love being able to log on the go!

My first Tri for this year at the moment is my HIM June18. It's actually the only one I have signed up for so far. I am thinking I will sign up for a sprint in May. It's on the same course as my second one I did 2 years ago, I would love to see how much my time might have improved! I have to see if I can swing it $ wise before it sells out.

Good to be back! I have not seen the app sorry - black berry guy here - although there is probably one for the bb?
KC

2011-02-16 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3357609

User image

Expert
I have tried the bi-lateral breathing and still work on it during warmups, cool downs and some drills but I always breathe from the right side every other stroke for any type of long distance swims.  I was finding that I would get about 200Y into the swim and then be out of breathe so I know what you are saying.  Just stick with what is comfortable and continue to work on the bi-lateral.  There have been some instances where I was glad that I did work on it and can feel comfortable breathing on my left side if there was sun or just got tired on the right and to switch it up a bit.

Actually here is a good articel on this topic I just found -http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2188

Good luck with brick today!!  You will be fine.  Once you get past the first mile running your legs feels back to normal and you forget that 2 hour bike ride.  Just make sure your nutrition is good today and stay hydrated and you'll have a great workout.

gabrelsj - 2011-02-16 9:06 AM i had a good swim today...for me.  i was to do two sets of 1200yds each.  i did the first in 22:59 but i am almost positive i missed 2-4 laps.  i thought i was keeping up with the count but that finish time was too fast for me.  the second was 26:47 and i made sure i counted correctly.  oh well, i was able to breath every two strokes and i did not inhale as much as i possibly could and i think it helped keep my heart rate stay down and i was relaxed for most of the swim.  i used to try and breath every three strokes and i always felt out of breath.  i feel better after todays swim.

tomorrow i am to do a long run but my running partner cant make it so i think i am going to do my first serious brick.  2 hr ride followed by 1 hr run.  i am sure i will get humbled very quickly.

Edited by tmoran80 2011-02-16 10:17 AM
2011-02-16 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3357059

User image

Expert
Scott I am a big fan of the "dress re-hearsal" and no better way to do that than at an actual race, right?  Kind of one last chance to make sure your gear is good, nutrition plan is on target, and comfortable with planned race pace.  I guess you could do that during a good brick workout but I still think the race is the way to go.

He might want an HIM in Aug...Racine would be the only possible. Dunno.  I don't know if its better to do a HIM or do more practicing in Madison.  I see advantages of both.
2011-02-16 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Hauled out to swim in a 'coached swim' class at 5 am this morning. Apparently the coach didn't feel like doing the same. It would be one thing if this was a 'omg where is coach, he's never known to miss us' type deal, but seems it's a regular thing. Last week he just flopped on a chair at the side of the pool having written the workout on the board. Luckily, one of the other swimmers kindly worked on my form with me. Though the 'oh there's a lot you can do with that'' scared me somewhat LOL......ok, rant over. Sorry.
2011-02-16 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3357811

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-16 10:30 AM Hauled out to swim in a 'coached swim' class at 5 am this morning. Apparently the coach didn't feel like doing the same. It would be one thing if this was a 'omg where is coach, he's never known to miss us' type deal, but seems it's a regular thing. Last week he just flopped on a chair at the side of the pool having written the workout on the board. Luckily, one of the other swimmers kindly worked on my form with me. Though the 'oh there's a lot you can do with that'' scared me somewhat LOL......ok, rant over. Sorry.

Is it a Masters workout?  Too bad.  I have a great coach.  At least someone opens your pool.

Swim tall, keep the head down, kick enough to keep the lower body up, practice bi lateral.  That keeps me busy.   
2011-02-16 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3357599

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
gabrelsj - 2011-02-16 9:59 AM
kcgolf - 2011-02-15 8:31 PM
gabrelsj - 2011-02-15 8:36 PM
cspreiter - 2011-02-15 3:05 PM Hey guys, I've been a little out of the loop.  Last couple weeks have been crazy with the weather and packing stuff up.  We're starting to get into slight panic mode about selling our house since we need to be moved before May when school starts.  So now that the weather is nice, most of my free time is spent traveling back and forth to the storage unit or packing boxes or cleaning.  We're changing realtors at the end of the month so hopefully this one will be able to sell our house. 

Needless to say, I haven't had a ton of time to train.  Hopefully after this week, we'll have all the junk we don't need will be packed away so things can get back to normal and I can get back to training on a regular basis.  At least my first olympic is in June so I have some time.

Everyone else seems to be rocking it.  The season is fast approaching. When is everyone's first triathlon this year?  Mine is a sprint on April 17.

trying to find one earlier but right now may 5th- gulf coast tri.

Gulf Coast? Where exactly? My parents are in Panama City Beach.
KC

it is in panama city. 

May 5th huh - not this year but maybe next - thanks.

KC

2011-02-16 1:32 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
gabrelsj - 2011-02-16 10:06 AM i had a good swim today...for me.  i was to do two sets of 1200yds each.  i did the first in 22:59 but i am almost positive i missed 2-4 laps.  i thought i was keeping up with the count but that finish time was too fast for me.  the second was 26:47 and i made sure i counted correctly.  oh well, i was able to breath every two strokes and i did not inhale as much as i possibly could and i think it helped keep my heart rate stay down and i was relaxed for most of the swim.  i used to try and breath every three strokes and i always felt out of breath.  i feel better after todays swim.

Nice swimming my friend.
Since I only started really swimming just this past December (I would not call what I did last August Swimming LOL), I have always worked on bilateral. I guess since I have no background with swimming I figured if I am going to learn this I am going to learn it with bilateral. I am sure that is why I am always winded but I just figured I am going to figure it out, keep doing it and eventually get used to it.

Any thoughts?

KC
2011-02-16 1:40 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
gabrelsj - 2011-02-16 10:06 AM i had a good swim today...for me.  i was to do two sets of 1200yds each.  i did the first in 22:59 but i am almost positive i missed 2-4 laps.  i thought i was keeping up with the count but that finish time was too fast for me.  the second was 26:47 and i made sure i counted correctly.  oh well, i was able to breath every two strokes and i did not inhale as much as i possibly could and i think it helped keep my heart rate stay down and i was relaxed for most of the swim.  i used to try and breath every three strokes and i always felt out of breath.  i feel better after todays swim.

Good Luck with the bike run tomorrow.

KC
2011-02-16 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3358387

User image

Veteran
kcgolf - 2011-02-16 1:32 PM

Nice swimming my friend.
Since I only started really swimming just this past December (I would not call what I did last August Swimming LOL), I have always worked on bilateral. I guess since I have no background with swimming I figured if I am going to learn this I am going to learn it with bilateral. I am sure that is why I am always winded but I just figured I am going to figure it out, keep doing it and eventually get used to it.

Any thoughts?

KC

i did the same thing.  i started bilateral and honestly if i am going at an easy pace it is easier for me to bilateral breathing.  one month ago my friend swam with me and he swam breathing to one side every two strokes so i tried it.  it was strange at first but i kept doing it.  i switch from right to left every few laps just to practice both sides.  the biggest difference for me was that i was trying to go faster while bilateral breathing and i would feel winded everytime.  every breath was as large a breath as i could take.  when i first started breathing every two strokes i was still taking in huge amounts of air and i honestly could not blow it all out before i was supposed to take my next breath.  then i started just breathing as normal as possible, depending on how winded i was.  today that seemed to work well.  i hope it continues but i will let you know.
2011-02-16 1:51 PM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
I breathe every other stroke on my right side.  I'll do bilateral breathing during my warmup because I'm not working that hard but it always makes me winded when I'm doing my main sets.  During OWS, I'll sight every few strokes anyway so not sure how much it would help me.  I guess I could take a few more strokes before I sighted but I'd be too nervous that I was going way off course to wait too long to look.  That's just me though.

I was watching the live feed of Kona this year and the lead swimmer in the pro wave wasn't bilateral breathing.  He'd breathe every other stroke on one side for a bit and then would do it on the other side, then would bilateral breathe for a bit.  Seemed like whatever was comfortable for him at the time.  Just throwing that out there. 
2011-02-16 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3358427

User image

Veteran
cspreiter - 2011-02-16 1:51 PM I breathe every other stroke on my right side.  I'll do bilateral breathing during my warmup because I'm not working that hard but it always makes me winded when I'm doing my main sets.  During OWS, I'll sight every few strokes anyway so not sure how much it would help me.  I guess I could take a few more strokes before I sighted but I'd be too nervous that I was going way off course to wait too long to look.  That's just me though.

I was watching the live feed of Kona this year and the lead swimmer in the pro wave wasn't bilateral breathing.  He'd breathe every other stroke on one side for a bit and then would do it on the other side, then would bilateral breathe for a bit.  Seemed like whatever was comfortable for him at the time.  Just throwing that out there. 

when you say every other stroke on right side do you mean every two times your right arm goes in water? 

2011-02-16 4:45 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Team.

Thanks for the advice on the swimming. I just got back from the pool and did a  measly total of 750 meters. I just stuck with bilateral breathing but I have to be honest, I can barely get through 50 meters at the moment without feeling like I need an oxygen tank waiting for me at the end of the pool Embarassed  - I might be stubborn but I guess I am just thinking that if I stick with this and figure it out I will be better off.

Anyway, I am starting to enjoy my trips to the pool and I'm getting more comfortable and relaxed when I am there. I don't even have a problem anymore getting in a lane with a much better swimmer. When I first started this journey, if the pool was busy I would leave LOL - embarrassed of my ability etc. However, now I just carve out my little niche in the pool, stay out of everyone's way and just keep on trying. After I leave, sometimes feeling discouraged and sometimes feeling good about it, I always decide I am going to go back tomorrow Smile and if I am lucky, tomorrow will be the day I get just a little bit better.

No more time for anything else today - have somewhere to be this evening.

Have a great night everyone.

KC
2011-02-16 5:46 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Hello, I'm back to reality but now my cold is worse then before.  I guess travel and no sleep will do that to your immune system.  I will try to catchup on all the posts but it looks like you guys picked up the slack for me.  Great job!! 

I too like chocolate milk as if you follow the experts it contains the perfect 4-1 ratio.

My 1st sprint race is 4/16 with a very short 400 yrd indoor swim then sprint distance the rest of the way, 1st long race 5/15 if I can get back into training.  With it being a HIM and back to zero training not sure if 3months is enough to have a good race and hit my time goals.  I want to do the course though as its very hilly and great practice.

2011-02-16 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3358877

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
razorxp - 2011-02-16 6:46 PM Hello, I'm back to reality but now my cold is worse then before.  I guess travel and no sleep will do that to your immune system.  I will try to catchup on all the posts but it looks like you guys picked up the slack for me.  Great job!! 

I too like chocolate milk as if you follow the experts it contains the perfect 4-1 ratio.

My 1st sprint race is 4/16 with a very short 400 yrd indoor swim then sprint distance the rest of the way, 1st long race 5/15 if I can get back into training.  With it being a HIM and back to zero training not sure if 3months is enough to have a good race and hit my time goals.  I want to do the course though as its very hilly and great practice.

You will do fine no matter what Coach - and welcome back - hope you shake the cold quickly and get back to where you want to be.
KC
2011-02-16 8:42 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

HI TEAM!

I just wanted everyone to know that there are only 3 groups that are more active on the chat then this group - congrats!

KC

2011-02-17 7:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL

Let me open a can of worms and ask if indoor tris count.  If so, Feb 20th.  If not, May 15th or somewhere around there (just need to register).

Then I have an Oly on June 6th.  I am so totally looking forward to that race.

Worked with a swim coach this morning who did underwater video.  It was nice to have an expert look at my stroke and tell me what to tweak.  She told me at the beginning of the session that she was going to teach me to love swim golf.  At the end of the seesion, she said "Don't worry about swim golf."  Laughing  We like that.  Gave me a couple of the drills to use to help with arm position set correctly and correct rotation.

Overall it was a great session.  Let me put in a plug for Melinda Yelton out of Charlotte, NC.  Her company is Trijinx. And if you ever get to Charlotte and want to throw down a swim, I can think of no better place than the Mecklenburg Aquatic Center.

2011-02-17 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3359430

User image

Veteran
Mass.
Mid 40's this morning, so I decided to go for my first outdoor run of 2011!  I did 10k (51:51) and my legs felt really strong on the uphills, no fatigue!  My route is flat with downhills out, flat with uphills back.  My last mile is uphill, and usually takes me about 10 minutes to do it, today only took 9!  All the tips and motivation this group is putting out there is working!  Off to the pool.  Hopefully the swim is as good as the run.

Edited by kdevarenne 2011-02-17 9:28 AM
2011-02-17 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
That is great that you were able to do the underwater cam analysis.  Not sure when I will be in Charlotte area in the next 2 decades but I will keep it in mind - hahaWink  I have looked on youtube and there are a bunch of instructional video on how to make a water tight underwater camera case using a PVC T-elbow and some plexiglass.  i thought about making that then dragging my wife to the pool to video me- haven't informed her of my intentions yet though.

Yes - I would count indoor Tri's - Its a race right?  I have never done one but my gym does one in March that I might enter.

I had a great swim this morning.  I did another 1000Y TT and took 2 seconds off my pace to be at 1:37/100Y.  If I can keep at it and keep chiseling it down I can actually see my goal of hitting 1:30 very attainable.

As far as all the psots - yes you guys are very active - haha.  My last group hit 60 pages right at the end of the mentoring session.  It is tough if you miss a day or two with you guys!!  Seems like there have been some dropouts from the group though.  Thats too bad.

robburkett - 2011-02-17 7:36 AM

Let me open a can of worms and ask if indoor tris count.  If so, Feb 20th.  If not, May 15th or somewhere around there (just need to register).

Worked with a swim coach this morning who did underwater video.  It was nice to have an expert look at my stroke and tell me what to tweak.  She told me at the beginning of the session that she was going to teach me to love swim golf.  At the end of the seesion, she said "Don't worry about swim golf."  Laughing  We like that.  Gave me a couple of the drills to use to help with arm position set correctly and correct rotation.

Overall it was a great session.  Let me put in a plug for Melinda Yelton out of Charlotte, NC.  Her company is Trijinx. And if you ever get to Charlotte and want to throw down a swim, I can think of no better place than the Mecklenburg Aquatic Center.

2011-02-17 11:18 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
robburkett - 2011-02-17 8:36 AM

Heck yea they count but they are defiantly different as they are more organized in the swim (not as much contact) and the bike/run can vary allittle depending on how accurate they are calibrated.   My 1st race is 1/3 indoor as the swim starts inside then you bike/run outdoors. 

I like your coach, I don't do swim golf (way too many things to think about)
2011-02-17 11:19 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Great job Keith and Tim
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76