BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-08-31 9:00 AM
in reply to: #3435045

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!

STEVE, the coach (Liz) I will be training with is the same woman that headed up my USA Fit group two years ago which I really enjoyed.  I did USA Fit again last year but she wasn't coaching and it was not what I'd hoped for.  Liz just became RRCA certified (at the age of 50) and will be "taking on" 25 runners to train for fall and winter half/full marathons.  My running partner will be signing up with her as well but we may get put into different groups at this point since my first race is in December and hers is in January.  And that might actually work out better for us although we'll still continue to meet on Thursday evenings with our "Trail Collectors" group who my coach is in charge of, as well.  We'll all meet with Liz on Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings, run in our pace groups, then meet back for 1/2 of yoga (she's also a yoga instructor).  Tuesday will be more speed workouts which she hopes to keep fun (doing indian runs, etc) and Saturday will be our long run.  She'll give us the rest of of our workout during the week based on our individual needs/plans. 

A couple of weeks ago (on a Trail Collector run) she had us predict how long it would take to run/walk 3.5 miles ... no problem, right.  Then we all had to take off our watches, Garmins, etc and proceed with nothing.  I couldn't believe how that made me feel (panicked!), not knowing how long I'd been running, how far I'd gone, how far I had to go, etc.  It was crazy but it actually made me think about how YOU would probably have loved that little exercise.  She'll do more of those ... oh, and I much faster than I predicted.  She'll be doing more of that as well. 

LISA

2011-08-31 9:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

So excited, looks like we are finally reaching the end of our 100+ degree days for the year and may actually have some rain over the weekend.  The heat and drought are really taking their toll on the infrastructure around here with the roads buckling, over 1000 broken water leaks waiting to be fixed, houses shifting on their foundations due to the lack of rain, the ranchers having to sell their stock because of the lack of water and hay.  I think that we'll all be out playing in the rain if it comes!

STEVE, great race report! Looks like you should have been very pleased!

DENISE, almost a year ago since I was up in Minnesota and I remember how pleasant the temps were.  Just renewed my Where to Retire magazine for another 3 years last night.  Cameron won't be graduated from high school for another 5 years but my goal is to be ready to get out of here when he does (if not sooner).  Alison continues to scout out the country for our new relocation spot.  Looks like you are enjoying your new bike!

TRINA, welcome back! Hopefully the end is in sight for your weather as well.  Tropical brewings may be sending us some needed rain and relief!  And to think I could have been up there suffering in OKC with you if my husband had taken a transfer last year.

JOE, glad to see you are safe and sound!  We are in such desperate need of rain but you have to "be careful what you wish for" along the Gulf Coast!

LISA

2011-08-31 10:48 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Steve,

Looks like the HITs Triathlon series folks were listening to ya concerning the distances of their races.  Change all to the classic distances.

http://www.icontact-archive.com/YM3XJIMgvMUqU1Q-T4uW2T0pxw7CQmcR?w=4

2011-08-31 12:11 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

Steve - It's actually blue green algae. My post jet lag brain is still lagging. And you are correct, it is Redman. I posted to their FB page my concerns about water quality, and this was their response:

"Since the BG Algae first appeared, it has dropped in temps a couple of times, rained a couple of times and the quality has gone from a staggering 225,000 (100,000 is the threshold for canceling an event) "cells" to only 8,000 by the 15th of August. In addition we are moving water in to re-fill the lake, which should clear the issue even further. As part of our city permit, we will soon begin posting the measurements on the front page of the website."

Why do I not believe them? I'll tell you why: It has NOT dropped in temps a few times since July, it's gotten hotter. Rain? If you can call a couple of showers that weren't even measurable as being enough to clean a lake...whatev. I don't know where they're going to get the water to fill the lake, since that lake is connected to my lake, which is fed by the Canadian River - which is all but dry. My lake continues to dry-up every day. I can now see 1/3 of the lake bed when I go on my bike rides. If they drain it any more to fill another lake, it's not going to be a lake anymore. I guess we could ride dune buggies on it...

Oh, I shouldn't have such a bad attitude, but this heat is really making everyone cranky.

Oh a lighter note - I'm very excited about my first Aquabike. The thought of racing and not having to run at the end is awesome. After the race I think I will cut back on my swim training and focus on my run. I'd like to do a half mary early next year, and I've got a lot of work to do if I'm going to do that.

Denise - The swims around Capri were breathtaking. It is something I will never forget. Awesome 25th Anniversary gift from my hubby!

Lisa - So you have a running coach? I need to get one. I think I'm going to cut my tri coach loose after my aquabike. Just have never clicked with him. Yes, hopefully this weekend will bring some relief from the heat wave for both of us. 89F sounds like heaven to me! It's going to be 103F in OKC today - coming-up on 60 consecutive days of 100+ heat. 

2011-08-31 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
2011-08-31 7:27 PM
in reply to: #3667871

User image

Champion

DENISE -

That is incredibly cool, and the picture is awesome. If you lived near me, I'd get it autographed!

As I pondered about yestrday, you really shouldn't move to M-StP, and plan a life instead that involves a couple of years in any number of far-flung places. That way, of course, you can get 15 minutes of fame each time you move. And just think -- I knew you when!

2011-08-31 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3668212

User image

Champion

DENISE again -

Did you see my post a few days ago about my thoughts on your bike time improvements, and that I attribute a lot of it to YOU?

Well, I have thought a fair boit more about that, and I stick by my originak thought -- and raise it a few tenths of a second. Last year you were still hesitant to get too adventurous with drink systems, and while you were a "gamer" to be sure, I think you were tentative on the bike. But not only were you a gamer, but one with an attitude and an agenda, and that combination caused you to work hard and begin to overcome your qualms.

And then along came Racine and the commitment to that, and your hard work combined with greater confidence across the board had a huge amount to do with your bike abilities improving. So what do I think? I think YouTheEngine are repsonsible for about 2/3 of that jump from 17.3 to 18.8, and the bike has conspired nicely with you to complete the difference. Does that sound reasonable, my modest friend?

2011-08-31 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3667164

User image

Champion

LISA -

Many thanks for the insights into how Liz works, and it sounds absolutely ideal. I really and truly am excited about this for you, as I have suspected for a long while now that this is where your passions lie -- running the mid/long distances, that is. I think you are a prime person for this type of training, and reading about how she operates just makes it sound all that much better. She sounds like a real gem, knowledgeable and fun -- not "old school" whips-and-spurs at all.

You're right -- I would've loved that Trail Collector run. I have some vague recollection that Coach Erik had me do soemthing like that way back when, but I'm not sure about that. I used to think I was really good at pacing, but in recent years I'm not sure that is true.

And just out of curiosity, what was your prediction....and what was the actual result?

Finally, it is of course ideal that she will be addressing each of you according to your needs -- the "Marxist" coaching perspective is so infinitely better than the one-size-fits-all approach that so many coaches (try to) get away with.

What'll be your first long run distance, and which pacing group will you connect with?

Wheeeeee!!!!!

2011-08-31 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3668236

User image

Champion

JEFF -

Ha! You know, I've thought about that a few times -- what an obnoxiously nagging dinkwad I am to kvetch about distances not being conventionally exact. I guess it is re-assuring to know that I can't be the ONLY obnoxiously nagging dinkwad out there, and actually many of my kindred spirits are even more overbearing than I am, because they must have dropped a pile of emails on HITS in order to get them to remeause and reconfigure and reconstruct their courses.

I ahven't been to the website yet; I'm just repsonding to what you said. i will eb curious, though, to see what changes they made. Is it really across-the-board? Wow.

I think when I made my comments about it I said that exactitude matters to me at HIM and IM, but less so at the olympic/international universe, and far less at sprints and sons. In fact, my last race of the season will likely be Bassman international, which has a 750m swim, 29-mile bike, and 4.2-mile run. That's some shaggy-dog hybrid of a race, isn't it? (And that seems to suit me just fine! )

2011-08-31 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3667538

User image

Champion

TRINA -

Is that photo from Capri.....or at the edge of your soon-to-be-dry lake? Whichever -- evocative photo, brimming with leisurely bliss. La-di-da!!

It's funny, my response to your story about Redman. As I started it I thought back to the initial great press that Redman received when it first started (5-6 years ago?), and that their concise monitoring of the b-g algae was in keeping with their being on top of everything. but then as I read on I could see your point, and I gotta admit -- your first-hand observations suggest that something is perhaps rotten in the state of Denmark. Hmmmm.

The good news is that there's still time for Mother Nature to smile upon all you Redmanites. Yes? Maybe? Possibly?

A woman from my other active group just did her first aqbk, at the oly distance, and I told her that it is a great chance to learn what it feels like to ride hard in a race setting. So, whereas many people doing the full oly were dialing it back some over the final couple miles or so, Alex was pushingpushingpushing the pace, knowing she had no reason (i.e., the run) to hold anything back.

The truning point for me as a cyclist was '06, when a torn mensicus rendered me unrunworthy, and all I could do were aqbks. I treated each of them as if there was no tomorrow, and it amazed me how much harder I could ride when the bike was the end of the day for me. Quite literally, I never previously knew what it was like to push so hard, and that was a colossally big lesson that I have employed ever soince.

Of course, the adjusytment that has to be made is turning the intensity down a fair bit in order to still be able to run well off the bike, and that didn't happen overnight -- not even close. BUt it DID happen, and it made me a much better triathlete*. It's oh-so-true what is said about needing to know how to be and feel fast in order to be fast in races. So, it's Full Tilt for you at Redman!!

* My tibal stress fracture in early '00, which turned me from a purerunner to a triathlete, was my "best bad injury". The mensicus, which turned me from a decent cyclist into a good one, was my "next best bad injury".

2011-08-31 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3668280

User image

Champion

Big day today, probably the last such before Nation's on the 11th:

Yoga from 12-1.
From about 2:15-2:50, my usual mile-plus (~1800m?) OWS, done in 33:30.
Late afternoon brick: 32km bike in 57' (20.8mph), then a 10km run in 45:10 (7:15/mile).

I'm ready for bed!!!

2011-09-01 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
LadyNorth - 2011-08-30 4:03 PM

My 15 minutes of fame

http://pineandlakes.com/stories/082511/localnews_20110825101.shtml

That is so cool, Denise! Wow! You rock! 

2011-09-01 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3668280

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

stevebradley - 2011-08-30 9:08 PM TRINA - Is that photo from Capri.....or at the edge of your soon-to-be-dry lake? Whichever -- evocative photo, brimming with leisurely bliss. La-di-da!! It's funny, my response to your story about Redman. As I started it I thought back to the initial great press that Redman received when it first started (5-6 years ago?), and that their concise monitoring of the b-g algae was in keeping with their being on top of everything. but then as I read on I could see your point, and I gotta admit -- your first-hand observations suggest that something is perhaps rotten in the state of Denmark. Hmmmm. The good news is that there's still time for Mother Nature to smile upon all you Redmanites. Yes? Maybe? Possibly? A woman from my other active group just did her first aqbk, at the oly distance, and I told her that it is a great chance to learn what it feels like to ride hard in a race setting. So, whereas many people doing the full oly were dialing it back some over the final couple miles or so, Alex was pushingpushingpushing the pace, knowing she had no reason (i.e., the run) to hold anything back. The truning point for me as a cyclist was '06, when a torn mensicus rendered me unrunworthy, and all I could do were aqbks. I treated each of them as if there was no tomorrow, and it amazed me how much harder I could ride when the bike was the end of the day for me. Quite literally, I never previously knew what it was like to push so hard, and that was a colossally big lesson that I have employed ever soince. Of course, the adjusytment that has to be made is turning the intensity down a fair bit in order to still be able to run well off the bike, and that didn't happen overnight -- not even close. BUt it DID happen, and it made me a much better triathlete*. It's oh-so-true what is said about needing to know how to be and feel fast in order to be fast in races. So, it's Full Tilt for you at Redman!! * My tibal stress fracture in early '00, which turned me from a purerunner to a triathlete, was my "best bad injury". The mensicus, which turned me from a decent cyclist into a good one, was my "next best bad injury".

Steve - I'm typically not a suspicious person, but the water quality issue is so obvious it really does stink. Literally...the city lakes stink they are so stagnant. Also, one of our state's largest lakes, Lake Texoma, is overrun with BG algae and no swimming allowed in it this weekend. Texoma is a giant of a lake - makes the lake in front of my house look like a small pond. And for them to close it is unheard-of. Been going there since I was 13 y/o and this is a first. So...yeah...I'm in the not-so-enviable position of being happy about my first aquabike (and Redman), and scared/grossed-out by the swim portion. Oh and I did pay a hefty $225 to register. Hopefully you are right - maybe mother nature will bless us with some rain in the meantime, but she only has 3 weeks to really let it roll, and if history is a good indicator then September will be dry as is usual.

Yes, that is a pic of me on the back of the boat by Capri. Drank an Italian beer and was contemplating how I could afford to build a house along the Amalfi Coast. Thought long and hard, then decided there was no way on earth I'd ever be able to afford to do so. Oh well. The Amalfi Coast, and especially Capri, is probably the most expensive place I've ever visited...in high season it's ridiculous. Never go there in the summer!! I saw a strand of pearls that was over 6 feet tall in one of the shop windows in Capri. And they were real, perfectly round, huge and super expensive. I'm going to dig-up some pics of some of the yachts we saw and post them here. The ostentatious display of wealth was just obscene. 

On a totally different topic: My husband just insisted that I call him "Steve-tador." After the cyclist Contador. He just left on his bike to do 25 miles in 104F heat. He's such a goofball.

Glad there were some silver linings to your injuries, and I love your perspective. Hopefully I will get better on the bike and run so that I'm not always BOP at my races.

Edited by kickitinok 2011-09-01 5:27 PM
2011-09-01 7:18 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
LadyNorth - 2011-08-31 4:03 PM

My 15 minutes of fame

http://pineandlakes.com/stories/082511/localnews_20110825101.shtml

Superstar.  Very cool Denise.

2011-09-01 9:45 PM

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast

Denise- Great highlight and story. I find it hard to envision you as a couch potatoe.....

Lisa, hopefully whatever is in the gulf right now will push some rain your direction.  Looks like the forecast models have it going every direction.

Steve- Thanks for your post and yes it makes sense except I need a little clarification on practice duration vs race duration.  It makes sense when I read your post on the frequency of bricks should be limited.  However, how do you train for race duration? I think I am missing a fundemental.  Currently I am following a HIM plan I downloaded from BT which has 2 remaining bricks this month and that is it.  The durations are a 4 hr 30 min ride and a 15 min run (this week-end) and then at the end of the month a 3 hr 30 min ride with a 20 min. run.  This seems in line with your philosphy. My confusion is when do I train for the race's duration or do I?  If I have a great race I think I would probably come in at 6:15 but my longest workouts are mostly 3:30 rides once per week in Sept.  So the one brick is essentially the longest work out  at 4:45 which will be about 90-120 minutes short of my actual race time.  My one remaining active brain cell is having a hard time with this thinking that I should have a couple training sessions in the 5:30 range and these sessions would be bricks.  Any insights would be appreciated, I think my poor brain cell is starting to sputter on this one........

JK

2011-09-02 7:04 AM
in reply to: #3669856

User image

Champion

TRINA -

Yeah, that photo suggests that you are contemplating a lifestyle to which you could blissfully become accustomed!

Two wee coonections:
(1) My two years living in Allen, north of Dallas, gave me a few opportunities to swim in Texoma, and while I was in the southeast corner of it, I remember nothing about grotty water -- just shallow and clear and warm. It certainly was a nice respite of those endless days of high heat.
(2) Your Steve-tador ( or it could be "Steve-adore"?) should meet up with Jeff, from my other active group (as opposed to our Jeff, here. Other-Jeff lives near Sherman, and is never afraid to ride long distances in horrific heat. Actually, they probably have met, in a way. Remember that day about a month ago when your Steve slogged through a ride in 116-degree heat, and said he saw one other cyclist, and waved to him? That was probably Jeff!

2011-09-02 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3670168

User image

Champion

JOEK -

Good questions, valid concerns. So, I will have a go at it.

My overriding feeling on train for race duration, especially for longer distances, is that you work on the individual components and then hope they fit together well on race day. At its simplest, that would have you doing the 1.2-mile swim at some point, and a 56-mile ride at some point, and a 13.1-mile run at some point. In a bare-bones way, that at least tells one that they can do those distances, period.

So much of racing longer is psychological, and it really does help to have that baseline confidence. Of course, you can extend that to wanting to have more confidence, and that's where some attempts at putting those pieces together in the form of longer bricks enter the scene. But the overwhelming number of training plans that do not advocate that approach, and for HIM and IM I never went that way myself.

I think the biggest risk of doing the longer bricks is that they increase one's chances of getting injured, and that's regardless of whether or not they are done slow or fast. That line of thinking is also behind the possibility that the training paln you are following might not even have a run of 13.1 miles, or its equivalent in time. And if it does have one at that length/time, that's probably it -- just one. Some people like to push that limit and build a psychological cushion, wherein they will try to knock off, say, a 15-miler (or two?); I think I might've tried that once or twice myself ( ).

The thing is that with half-irons, anything can happen during the run, and the best-laid plans can be scuttled pretty quickly. This can happen for any number of usual-suspect reasons -- nutrition, poor pacing, weather, ache/injury. That's not to say that one shouldn't aim to get comfortable running long, but just a way of thinking about prepping for race duration -- that's it's not perfect science.

So, I would keep true to the BT plan and work on being strong at the individual components --- and then have a structure for race day that will give them the best chance of fitting together in a package that leaves you feeling it was a successful race from which you emerged maybe sore, but not truly injured. As for that structure, the keys there are nutrition and pacing, and both require planning to set them up and the discipline to follow them through. At the risk of repeating myself......

August '10 saw me do a half-iron in Vermont, and that was about my 17th half-iron, in my 11th season, and was my 90th or so triathlon overall. All of that is to say that I should know what to do, but that said -- MISTAKES WERE MADE! To wit:
(1) I drove the run course the day before, but in hindsight I didn't really study it. I vauguely knew there were some hills and scores of undulations, but I didn't really analyze them; my recon attitude was too perfunctory.
(2) I rode the bike way too hard, and got caught up playing cat and mouse for many, many miles with a 32-year old woman and a 26-year old man. I think we used each other as pace bunnies, and this went well enough up until maybe mile 45, when both of them dropped me. A few miles later I began to feel the effects of my bigger-than-smarter effort, and knew I had overplayed the pace card.
(3) While I had decent nutrition with me, I did not use it wisely -- and in a couple of cases (solids, such as Fig Newtons and Clif bars) hardly at all. That is, I took in too few calories/carbs/electrolytes, mostly just because I was too lazy or didn't want to detract from my cycling effort.
The end result was that it was a hurtin' run, and probably #2 and #3 would've exacted a toll on me even if I was scrupulous in my assessment of the run course. But that just exacerbated the problem, and the run was not pleasant at all!

So, for planning and execution, I would say my grades were in the C/D range. I did not have a good pacing plan. My nutrition plan was okay-plus, but the execution was lousy. And course recon was slack. My bad!!

Moving on, your goal/hope for 6:15 is probably both prudent and wise -- both good, to be sure! Remember, though, that of that 6:15, 50 minutes give or take will come from the swim and the transitions. So that brings you down to 5:25, and the 4:45 of the big brick really isn't that far off -- you can almaost smell the "shortfall"! If you can keep yourself going for 4:45, that's just a huge step towards whatever it takes you to finish B2B.

My take on training for long duration races is that you never hit it right on until race day -- and then it's there. That is, you've done 70.3 miles in however long it took, and the "can I do it?" monkey is off your back. I know I never hit the whole package in my training for my first HIM, which was Timberman '01, until I crossed the finish line of Timberman '01. And carrying that to an further extreme, I didn't come close to knocking off the IM distance in total until I crossed th finish line at IMLP '04. I had done a couple of 100-milers, and had about seven marathons under my belt by then, and had maybe done one 90-minute swim, but those were all stand-alones and only served me as confidence-builders and further credits in the "experience" curriculum.

Ultimately, racing long is an act of faith. I don't mean that to sound portentious, but merely to underscore the faith you must have in yourself and the quality of your training. I know it can be drawn back to "Yeah, I'd have fiath in myself if I had done more mega-bricks", but the overwhelming evidence is that people can succeed at racing long by training well on the individual components and then putting it all together intelligently on race day. That doesn't guarantee that race day will be pretty and pain-free (and few mere-mortal age-groupers experience that height of nirvana at HIM or IM), but at least it will help ensure that the outcome is successful and satisfying.

Finally, what do you figure for your time on the bike at B2B? I know it is flatflatflat, but I also know that the winds from the west can make the out-going part of it a bit of a slog. Anyhow, figure out a resaonable range and let me know, okay?

I hope the above was (at elast partially) useful, and didn't deplete that one remaining brain cell!

2011-09-02 6:30 PM

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast

Steve,

Wow and thanks, thanks, thanks.  I was getting a bit nervous on losing training time from my wife's surgery, Irene, and my confidence was absolutely shaken from my last race.  I also had a nagging voice in my head whispering I should do a couple of 6 hour training sessions but your logic makes perfect sense and no one can argue with your experience.  You have restored calm. So I will follow your advice and rest a lot easier knowing it is the same strategy that you use.  I will also follow your advice and take advantage of the race's proximity and the fact that my daughter is going to school in Wilmington by running/riding the routes on a couple of week-ends while the girls are out shopping.  Definitely a win-win scenario.  I have an opportunity in a couple of weeks for a metric century which will give my a good sense of my bike time which I am guessing will be in the 17-18 mph range depending on the wind.   The OLY next week is at high risk with Katia coming in.  I haven't completely written it off but is definitely on the chopping block.  Of course this is the only race in my life that I actually placed (no kidding).  I will also have to remember not to fall into the trap of trying to keep up with "pace bunnies" which I always fall into that trap. 

Thanks again for sharing your experience and I will keep you posted.Smile

JK

2011-09-02 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3671427

User image

Champion

JK -

Well, remember -- my plans don't always work!

One of the best things you can do is to pre-ride a course -- and even pre-run it, if possible. A minimum good thing to do is to drive the bike and ride the run. I am sure my HIM last ('10) August would've gone much better had I taken my bike for a ride on the run course, but in a somewhat realistic way, it would've been 26 miles total --- and the day before an half-iron is not the time to do that! So, damned if I did, damned if I didn't, and at the very least I should've been far more attentive on my drive of the run course. DOH!

I was thinking lots today about your questions and concerns and my response, and I put it in the perspective of risk/benefit. (By "it", I mean attempting to cover as much of a race-distance as possible.) While it IS doable at the shorter stuff (definitely sprints, and often olys), when gpoing long the risks of injury just becomes too great. Some people who ar basically bionic can pull it off, but I know how risky it is for me.

Seeing as how you are not aiming for a FOP sort of finishing time, you have a great amount of latitude in how you approach B2B. that is, the goal is really to finish upright and with a grin on your face, and so what you do during the 70.3 miles is all about ensuring that those two conditions are met. So, the fine details of being intimate with the distance beforehand becomes less important; at least, that's how I see it.

In a way, it's a case of "delayed gratification" -- just hold on for another 7 or 8 weeks, and you'll know how 70.3 feels! So, you can view B2B as An Experiment of One.....and then you're ready to move on from there.

For my first half-iron, I made the effort (7 hours each way) to drive down there and ride the bike course. That put my mind at ease A LOT. I have some recollection of running part of the run course, and it might've been about 1/3 of it? As for the swim, I just dabbled around in the lake for a while, as with no notion of the course configuration, there's wasn't much opoint in doing anything else.

Ha! I just dug out my log from '01, and I neither swam nor run any of the Timberman course; the bike, was all; I guess my run recollection is from driving it in the car. (Petty details!) That was on July 30, and the race was Aug 12, so the bike recon was very close to race day.

As for bike/run bricks for that one, here's what I'm finding (bike time/run time):
Aug 4 -- 94/20
July 12 -- 72/16
July 4 -- 63/30
And is that it?? I went through a few weeks of July with a numbness problem in my right calf, so maybe that kept me from pushing the run too much. The details are a bit sketchy, 10+ years later!

My long bikes were:
July 17 -- 3:43
July 24 -- 4:36 (120km, or about 75 miles -- longer than I needed to do, I am sure)
July 30 -- 3:11 (this was the one on the course itself)
Several along the way at about 1:30.

For longer runs, post-numbness:
July 25 -- 1:07
July 29 -- 1:53
Aug 3 -- 1:04
(Pre-Timberman I had done a few marathons and several half-marathons, so I was comfortable with the distance....but for the race itself, I was undertrained for the run )

That training got me a 45:55 swim, a 3:00:24 bike, and a 2:01:35. Interestingly, I do not have a toatl time or my transition times, but I'm guessing that the two transitions were less than 5 minutes total, so it would've been about 5:53; I gotta try to find those results!!

In long-reaching hindsight (and with the aid of the log), I see good swim training that gave so-so results; decent bike training that gave first-time-and-tough-course adequate results; inconsistent run training that resulted in a slightly disappointing run. BUT!! It was all new to me, putting it together right there on race day, and I continued to learn and grow from that experience. (One thing learned -- maybe not help a guy with a flat tire, losing a minute or two. A second thing learned -- pace the run wisely, especially on a warm day and especially on the parts of the course where there wasn't an square centimeter of shade; mistakes were made!)

But going WAY back, the metric century (63 or so miles right there, and you'll know how 56 will feel! ) will help hugely,a s will getting to the course and playing around on it. That is really priceless, and you're very fortunate that she is going to scholl right there. (You planned that all along, didn't you??)

Finally.........Katia? Oh, jeez, is that next weekend? That's when I'm in DC doing Nation's, on the 11th, so I guess i should start paying attention to Katia's progress. Ack!!!

2011-09-04 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3671569

User image

Champion

hello?

2011-09-04 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3672591

User image

Champion

JK again -

Ah! Through the wonders of timing archives, I improbably managed to find those Timberman results from '01. My transitions were not near as swift as I created in my alternate memory universe, being 5:37 and 3:09. My total time was 5:56:52. That just completes the info from the post from a couple of days ago.

Which oly is coming up for you, and when? I think you said oly, but on your race schedule you have Outer Banks, and that's a sprint and half-iron, isn't it? And was it Washington you did last month? I get confused sometimes!!

If it was Washington, how did you find racing with FSS? I ask because I am thinking about maybe possibly conceivably doing Wsahington Half on the dsame day you are doing B2B. I looked to see if B2B was still open, but alas, no. And then I remembered Washington, and that is currently VERY open -- like 32/200. This happened to them last year, its first, where the rush didn't come until the final week before the race. I think they ended up with decent numbers, but didn't fil it. I should check to see what kind of crowd they had.

The new issue of Triathlete has a handy-dandy graphic on how to fuel for an oly, and as soon as I can find where I put it, I will copy here for yopu. It won't have the nice drawings of water bottles and gel thingies, but the quantities will be there. I know that info is available all over the place....but having the most recent incarnation of it might seem more cozy somehow!

2011-09-04 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3672598

User image

Champion

GANG!

Prior to my return 15 minutes ago, it was 36 hours since the last post here (mine) , so obvioulsy I haven't been missed , and likely won't be missed over the next 36 hours while we're at Lynn's brother's wife's cottage. I will check back in late tomorrow night, and plan to return fully on Tuesday evening.

Enjoy the last half of this long weekend, all you worker bees!!

2011-09-04 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3672591

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

stevebradley - 2011-09-04 10:28 AM hello?

Hi!!    Still here. Just been busy.  College football just started.  Go VT and FSU!!

2011-09-04 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3672653

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
junthank - 2011-09-04 10:36 AM

stevebradley - 2011-09-04 10:28 AM hello?

Hi!!    Still here. Just been busy.  College football just started.  Go VT and FSU!!

Wisconsin looking good with their new QB.  I'm a Minnesota graduate but their football has been so bad that I switched my allegiance to my daughter's school (Wis).  My husband remains ever faithful to Iowa.

Denise

2011-09-05 7:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
37F this am.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57