BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-03-02 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3965644

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013

KTC, txs for the suggestions.  Sounds like a decent plan.  It's also a lot less time consuming to jump on the trainer at home and less grueling when it's a short workout.  I don't want to ride less in the beginning than I already am. So 50/50 sound s like a smart alternative. 

Here's another question for you.  If I can't get all the work outs in because of my work schedule which does happen, which to skip??  There are basically 2 swims, 2 cycling and 3 runs.  (it is a running emphasis program)Of course I still want to try to do one strength and one yoga each week also. I was thinking to skip the short swim.  My swim is my strongest (shocking, I know) and the most time consuming (Have to get to the gym to do it)

Congrats Bri!!  You will be an awesome coach.

Nice bike!  I'm hoping for new wheels.  NOt sure whether to get a tri bike or a lighter rode bike like a Medone (sp?)  I would like to get faster but I don't want to sacrifice too much comfort.  I have enough comfort issues on the bike.   I do alot of long distance recreational riding.  Thoughts Here??  I currently have a Sequoia Specialized with add on aero bars.

Hi Billy, how bout adding to the conversation?  Give some feedback?  You have a lot of good experience.  Be more like a woman and share!!

Pam, I got a the Garmin last year for my big 50.  Maybe we can trouble shoot together.  I'm a techno geak.

So good to see you on Cake girl.  What are you doing for diet these days.  I have been really interested in sweets.  I am hoping the upcoming training is going to put be on a healthier track.

Edited by avisser 2013-03-02 9:44 AM

2013-03-02 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, IN

Nice bike Fit4Infinity!  

Ann, how is training going?  Yes, if you do have to skip something, then skip what you are strongest at.  But try to get it all in if you can. With that being said you do want quality training so if your schedule won't allow and you are just too tired you are better to rest then do a half a$$ workout.

Congrats on your certification Bri!

Where is Billy?  Where are the new peeps?

Add another finish line.  I did a 5k today.   

2013-03-02 4:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
I will add the finish lines. I did the Cowtown half last Sunday as well.

I am going to try to move the new peeps here tomorrow. I need your help - I have just accepted the role as the national team director for Team Beads of Courage. Some of you are familiar some may not be. We carry a bead in any race and then that bead is forwarded to a child fighting a life threatening illness such as cancer. The Team has only been around a short time and is small. My goal is to grow it. Fast. Dream - maybe someday be like Team in Training. Where do you all come in. First Help me here with the new peeps. You should all be mentors anyway.

Second - help us with Team Beads of Courage - at whatever level you want to get in. We have just launched 13 events in 2013. You commit to a donation of $130 and we send you 13 Beads to carry. Send them back as you do events with a story. Or, just buy a Bead kit for $20 and Carry once. Or apply to be a Regional Coordinator - applications coming out soon. By the way - FBP we have a Beads of Courage - Canada as well.

The website is www.beadsofcourage.org. Also google CBS Sunday Morning Beads of Courage. Then get some tissue and watch for 8 minutes that just might change your life.

Finally - I want new ideas. We have all seen great races. I need ideas to grow this thing. Thanks in advance.

I have bit off something big - help me eat it.

Bryan
2013-03-03 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4643630

User image

Veteran
Long Island

Day One was today!!  Got it done.  Started with a reverse brick.  Ran outside and then did a bike workout on the trainer.  Is it bad to do it reverse?  I just didn't want to ride inside and get all sweaty and go out side where it is only in the 30's. I'm on call tonight 11p-7a so tomprrow I have an easy swim to do.

Good point about not working out when really tired but but my limitations are more that I sometimes work 16 hr days.  Can't add a workout on that day so that is a rest day.  I also work 7a-7p alot and most days I am shot after that too.  When I'm tired or sore, (or expect to be) I usually plan a swim.

Bryan, an exciting endeavor!!  Count me in.  I'll check out the website.  I assume that is how we register or sign up.  Since I am doing a HIM, I don't plan to do too many races but I'll definetly support what sounds like an awesome organization.

Have a great week everyone.  I hope you don't get tired of hearing from me although as training gets more intense time gets more scarce.Cool

2013-03-03 1:43 PM

Extreme Veteran
Thanks Ann
2013-03-03 1:47 PM

Extreme Veteran

here is page one of five of the new people...you will see that some have come and gone but the real ones will be here...

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-01-01 2:16 PM (#4556523
Subject: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for our sixth season - we will reopen in Jan 2014
Quote Reply Edit
Master

Our focus: YOU

While we have several Ironman finishers in the group, we love to help new people. If you are doing an Ironman, come benefit from our knowledge. If you are training for your first sprint and want a supportive fun group - well - you also found your home.

Story: This is my sixth year as a mentor. My group will be a little different from many of them on here and I want to explain how. I have a couple of folks from my first group, a couple from my second group, several from my third year and some from the 4th year and now fifth too. Then we will be adding those of you who might be interested. The group is male and female, evenly divided, from Canada and Boston to Louisiana and Texas. All middle aged (don't tell them I said that)....my 50 year mid life crisis in 2009 was my first Ironman (chronicled in the book - You Are An Ironman) - I finished IM Arizona in November 2009 and 2011. Two of our 2010 members did IM Louisville and one of our other members completed IM Arizona in 2010 but don't let that intimidate you...several just did their first sprint in 2008, 2009 or 2010. We are a welcoming group that is looking to add some new blood and excitement.

Join this group and benefit from several wicked smart mentors. If you are looking for experienced Ironman finishers in your group, we may be for you - OR - If you are just starting in the sport, we are a fun welcoming group evenly divided between men and women and we are ALL a lot of fun. FYI, there are female IM finishers and male IM finishers - we don't discriminate.

Family: Married with an adult daughter

Current Training/2013 Races: Half Marathon, Olympic triathlon, Half Ironman, Ironman and other epic endurance events.2010 Races: Disney half marathon, America's Run half, Texas Independence Relay(203 miles), CapTexTri, Austin Triathlon, LiveStrong Challenge, Tour de Cure, Ironman Florida and a few others.

2011 Races - Austin Half Marathon, Tour de Cure, CapTexTri, Make a Wish Ride, Toyota US Open Triathlon, Ironman Arizona.

2012 Races - 5 Half Marathons, several cycling events from 50-75 miles, CapTexTri, Toyota US Open Triathlon as a relay ( first one - very cool). And a bunch of other stuff. I was supposed to do Ironman Canada but a bike wreck ruined that plan.

Weightloss: 40 pounds in less than 36 months - keeping it off

What makes me a good mentor: The other people in the group....LOL....we have fun. Seriously, we have history. Once you are in the group and we close it, we will move you all to our base group which i currently in the archives. Dont worry i will get you there and not lose you. We also have a BIG historical site for your reading enjoyment where there are over 260 pages of posts equalling over 4000 messages which you will want to read....there's history in there and a TON of answers to your questions.So, fire away, all questions are appropriate and will be answered....come join us....tell me who you are and why you want to join our team.

Bryan

Edited by left.right.repeat 2013-01-14 10:02 AM
 Profile stats stats Private message Log Races Gear Reviews

Irwin5
 Posted 2013-01-06 12:42 AM (#4564248 - in reply to #4556523
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - OPEN for the sixth year in 2013 - come check us out
Quote Reply

Hello Bryan,

I would like to join your group.  I am 50 yrs. old, I have been married for 26 yrs., a father of three adult children.

A couple years ago I started running again, since then I have run a marathon and a couple half marathon's.  I will be running the Surf City half with my 18 yr. old son next month, and the OKC Marathon with my 21 yr. old daughter end of April. I would really like to take my fitness and training to the next level.  I have never done a triathlon, but there are couple "sprints" in March I would like to enter and an Olympic in mid April.  I could use some help.

Thanks,  Steve

Edited by Steve Irwin 5 2013-01-09 9:25 PM

molly@rosenblumlawlv
 Posted 2013-01-06 2:20 PM (#4564741 - in reply to #4556523
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - OPEN for the sixth year in 2013 - come check us out
Quote Reply
Veteran

Silver member

Hello Bryan:

I would like to join your group. I have been competing in triathlons for several years now. I completed IMAZ in 2009 and attempted IMSG in 2010 (DNF'd after having an absolutely terrible swim leading to a terrible bike.) I have completed several HIMs, sprints and olys. This year, I am focusing on HIMs with a goal to try to qualify for Worlds on my home turf here in Las Vegas. I look forward to getting reacquanited with BT and learning from the group.

Molly

Edited by molly@rosenblumlawlv 2013-01-06 2:21 PM

Justabassman
 Posted 2013-01-06 3:24 PM (#4564803 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply
New user

Silver member
Hello Bryan,Your group sounds fun! I am 50 years old and am very interested in raising my fitness level to a point that I can compete in all types of triathlon events.I am currently living in Spain am twice married with adult children and a newborn son. I will be moving to Florida this summer and would like to be at a point with my fitness to be able to compete in a sprint triathlon somewhere in the region.I am an active Mountain Biker and have recently started running 5k a couple of times a week and could sure use some guidance in putting things together to understand how I can get fit an compete.Chris

KGLevine
 Posted 2013-01-06 7:46 PM (#4565135 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply
New user

The good news:  today I did my first swim and thought I was doing great... The bad news: while swimming I started to realize that there will be no walls and no bottom to rest on and panic set in.  I live in Michigan, mother of a 15 year old girl (shouldn't that be training enough for anything?Embarassed) and a 13 year old boy.  Intense job as a VP of marketing and customer experience.  Awesome and supportive husband.  Before kids, ran a couple of marathons, rode bicycle across the country--coast to coast--and went to a 10 day meditation camp--complete silence (for me that was THE biggest challenge!).  Recent past; 10Ks, lots of yoga, P90X, boxing, hiking, winter sports.  Last year did an intense hiking, yoga detox thing for a week.  This year, an Olympic distance Triathlon in Florida.  Before today's swim I was afraid of sharks and jellyfish and people smacking me at the start.  After today's swim I am really concerned about my abilty to do this, though remaining positive--this is day one of a four month training on a decent base.  But I think a mentor would be great for me. 

Will you provide the next bit of good news and allow me to join your group?

RunningReenie
 Posted 2013-01-07 11:17 AM (#4566099 - in reply to #4556523
Subject: Please Delete Post....
Quote Reply

Edited by RunningReenie 2013-01-09 2:42 PM

CARYNBRIT
 Posted 2013-01-07 11:34 AM (#4566147 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply
New user

Well, I  reckon there's nothing like jumping in with both feet so here I go.

I've decided to give myself a challenge this year. I'm 42 years old, work p/t from home and am a Mom.

Our local rec center is putting on a  Sprint Tri,  so  I thought why not. I can bike  fairly well, I'll be able to train on the route as its local. My swimming, I can stay afloat but I know  I'll need to work up to the distance (yes, I know its short but I mainly do the summer swim with my daughter which involves floating around because its hot out!). I have never been a runner, I used to enjoy the 100m and 200 m at school and played womans rugby for  many years  because it involved short quick sprints, Saying that  I am willing to give it a go. I did 4 years ago decide to 'do' a marathon, having done no races whatsoever, I walked the entire thing in 5 hours and 45 minutes.  I do have a fierce will power.  I have no problem coming in last, My biggest goal is to Finish. (and if a side effect is a bit more toned me with a better weight, I won't be found complaining either)

Hope I'm in the right group and you can cope with me!

Karen

Irwin5
 Posted 2013-01-08 10:33 PM (#4569204 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Molly,

I see you have done a few HIM's, I have never done a triathlon, I have run several half marathon's and a marathon last year.  I plan to do a couple sprints and an olympic this spring and would like to do a HIM in August ,what is your opinion, is it doable?

I am 50 yrs. old and my training schedule has to be flexible due to family and work, with that said, I'm very motivated and goal driven.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,  Steve

snicoll44
 Posted 2013-01-10 2:58 PM (#4572582 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Hi Bryan - I joined your group late last season and I would love to be a part of the 2013 group. I am not sure that I have to rejoin but I feel that I am so new that I will introduce myself again.

I am married and a father of two boys from upstate NY. I completed my first tri, the NYC Triathlon in 2011, and I have been hooked ever since. I have completed a few sprint distances and a couple of olympic distances. But my ultimate goal is the finish an Ironman. I am building up to that goal, having plans to complete two HIM's this year. 

I could use the extra advice, starting with a good program for swim training for the 1.2 distance. I would like to build more confidence in that area.

Thanks!

Steve

conperez
 Posted 2013-01-10 9:18 PM (#4573194 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply
New user

my name is connie

this is my first tri-sprint

my goal is to complete it this summer.

i have 3 adult children

for the past 2 years i have told myself i will start training for a tri after i lose the weight. this year i decided enough was enough. so i have started using the michael pate's 22 week sprint training program

i am a person with no athletic ability, but willing to learn how to become a great triathlete

Profile stats stats Private message

Honey~Badger
 Posted 2013-01-11 4:25 AM (#4573353 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Veteran

Bronze member

I would like to join your group.  I got into triathlons last year because I was looking for a healthier balance of workouts rather than just running.  I completed 2 sprints and an Oly.  This year my A race is Door County Half Ironman Distance Triathlon.  

I am also middle aged, 46, married, with an almost 9 year old daughter.  My daughter did two kids tri's last year and several 5k's.  It is really fun now that she is old enough to do some training and racing with me. My family also includes four cats and an English Bulldog named Zelda. 

I'm more of a reader of posts than a frequent poster, so don't worry if I'm quiet.Wink

Lynne

-----
Door County Triathlon-Half Iron Course July 21, 2013 

When making choices in life.... 
do not neglect to live.   Zen of Zelda

bbarnicle
 Posted 2013-01-11 3:35 PM (#4574382 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply
New user

Bryan -

I'd be interested in joining your group. I have never done a triathalon before, and the longest endurance event I did recently was the NYC marathon 3 years ago. So, I decided to ease into this and sign up for a half Ironman, and a full Ironman. I'm 39 now, in pretty good shape, and determined to finish the events I have signed up for. So the best thing I can do is learn from those who have done all this before me. 2013 will be my fittest year to date.

Brian

Dunewb
 Posted 2013-01-12 8:58 AM (#4574935 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Bryan, I would like to join your group.  I'm 38 years old and started doing triathlons at the end of last year. I have done two sprints and would like to train for longer distances but need a lot of work on swimming.  I'm not overweight by most standards but would like to lose 5-10 pounds of fat and replace it with muscle.  I have a family with two young children and am currently in the Army and stationed at Ft. Bliss, TX.

?*****?
 Posted 2013-01-12 9:19 AM (#4574946 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Hello Bryan,

I would be interested in joining your group.  I have yet to complete a triathlon, but would love to do at least one.  Actually I would like to complete Half Marathon in May, 10 mile run in June, International Triathlon in June and a Danskin Triathlon in August.  Thank you and have a great day!

molly@rosenblumlawlv
 Posted 2013-01-12 8:06 PM (#4575564 - in reply to #4569204
Quote Reply
Veteran

Silver member
Steve Irwin 5 - 2013-01-08 8:33 PM

Molly,

I see you have done a few HIM's, I have never done a triathlon, I have run several half marathon's and a marathon last year.  I plan to do a couple sprints and an olympic this spring and would like to do a HIM in August ,what is your opinion, is it doable?

I am 50 yrs. old and my training schedule has to be flexible due to family and work, with that said, I'm very motivated and goal driven.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,  Steve

Hey Steve:

I too had a running backgroundwhen I started triathlons and like you, my first season, I did a few sprints and finished my season with the Silverman HIM. It is totally doable but you need to commit to your training and I cannot stress enough that you listen to your body. I used the BT training programs but was also fortunate enough to have a coach that really helped me through my programs. Really though, if you have a decent base of fitness completing the HIM should be no problem - if your goal is to just finish you should be just fine.

Molly

Irwin5
 Posted 2013-01-12 9:35 PM (#4575642 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Thank you Molly, I needed the encouragement!

Steve

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-01-13 12:40 PM (#4576131 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

All of you are IN!!!!!

Sorry I have not been here this week....didn't know my group had opened...and I have been out of town. ...now it looks like we may be full already....that is awesome.  I am going to go read all about you all and will post a bit more soon.

Welcome to the group.  You will find I travel a bit and my whole group will work with each of you....we will have a great year.

Bryan

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-01-13 1:04 PM (#4576168 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

Here are some initial thoughts....

Steve Irwin - If you are riding at all right now - spin class maybe - you can complete the Oly in April.  Even if you are not, as a runner I think we can have you ready...it just may hurt.  As far as the half in the fall - also doable but let's talk about it further as you progress.  You don't have to do all of this in one year although I know I am talking to driven people here and we think we can do anything.  You will all find that I am more interested in your enjoyment and overall health than I am pushing you to finish everything this year and us dealing with injuries.  Let's look at it as we go.

Molly - IMAZ 2009 was one of the greatest days of my life.  I am honored to have shared the course with you.  As far as IMSG - everything I hear is that is one bada$$ race.  Remember DNF is okay....you at least started and you kept yourself healthy to fight another day.  1/2s this year is a great idea.  We will have fun.

Chris - a sprint is definitely doable.  As a mountain biker and already running 5ks your transition should be an enjoyable one.  It will be fun trying some new things.

KGLevine - you will be fine.  Maybe a shark, maybe a jelly - no biggie, just don't look appetizing and the shark will move on....if you encounter a jelly - it will take your mind off how long the swim really is......actually, we will get you through it....remind me to tell you about my first swim workout that was a full 37.5 yards....that was IT....37.5 yards....and I thought the swim would be easy.  Also the salt water helps with bouyancy.

Karen - walking a full marathon takes guts.  You will also be fine.  Jumping in with both feet is the best way to swim, bike or run....welcome to the craziness.

Steve - welcome back buddy - you are in...no worries....  check out the website....http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html

Connie - how exciting...what a great year....you will never forget your first sprint - welcome to the group.

Lynne - welcome aboard as you drive the year to your HIM...we will be along for the ride...as far as quiet....don't be...jump in...we are here to help but you will also find we are all friends helping friends.

Brian - well if nothing else you are aggressive....we will work on your half and full and see where we go....when is the half and which full?

?****? - your schedule may also be a bit aggressive but let's talk about it further as we go through the next couple of weeks.  What are your current workouts like?

Dunewb - Hello fellow Texan - we can get you to longer distances...for me they are actually more enjoyable than sprints all the time.

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-01-13 1:19 PM (#4576195 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

I am going to leave the group open a few more days as some of you who originally asked to join may have moved on since I didn't reply very quickly...hopefully you all still want to be here but I understand if anyone has found another group they would like to work with this year. 

Here are a couple of things I will share with you that I have learned doing this for 5 years....

First, you get out of this more than you put in BUT if you get involved, dive in, share, ask questions, talk about your successes and challenges...you WILL get a MILLION times more out of this group.  You will find when we migrate over to the base group that there are a ton of people to help and encourage you - you will have friends all over the country...it is a blast...and someday, when you show up at a race where one of your fellow LRR mates is racing I promise you will feel like you have a great friend there sharing the race with you.  I have been fortunate to meet several of the folks in the group and I can assure you they are a great group of people.

Second, always sign off your posts with your real name (unless you are in the witness protection program and cannot share) if you are willing.  It gives the group a chance to get to know you as something other than just your handle.

Third, after your name, list your next race and your big race of the year and the dates - months are fine...so we can keep up with you as we get to know you.  You can do this as a "signature" that automatically posts when you do.

Fourth, be active - get outside when you can.  I know weather can be tough right now but do it as you can.

Fifth - log your work - do it here or elsewhere but log it - it will make a difference. 

Sixth - learn RULE NUMBER ONE - NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY.  You will hear that a LOT from me but just know - NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY - if your significant other wants to get you a fancy new trisuit - I applaud them (don't buy white) but get it a week or two early and use it before the race - you want to be sure it fits correctly and doesn't chafe.  Not even socks - no new sox on race day....can you say Blisters?...there I thought you could.

And the over-arching tenet of doing these crazy events and being part of this group -

HAVE FUN

if you are not into having fun, if you are a negative person unwilling to be positive, if you cannot lighten up on yourself from time to time, if every event is about a personal best or being on the podium, this group may not be for you.....trust me, I am going to have fun, we are going to win (the race against ourselves) and we are going to be human beings with work and families while we do this.....triathlon and other endurance sports can be "selfish" - they can take a LOT of time...you spouse and family needs to be on board...we want them involved...whether they ultimately choose to compete themselves, volunteer, sherpa or even stay home with the kids...you will reach a point at some time where you are glad they are "in" with you.  If we handle this right, you will be better at work and better at home as well as being a better person....

Welcome to the wackiness - enjoy the ride...

By the way, if anyone wants out now, I understand and I am okay with that....if you keep posting, I assume you are IN.

Bryan

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-01-13 1:29 PM (#4576207 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

One other thing for those new to BT, you can go to the bottom area of the page under ACTIONS and click "toggle email notifications" to get an email each time somebody posts on here...just a little trick to keep up to date.

Bryan

2013-03-03 1:48 PM

Extreme Veteran

page two of five of the new folks

Lou_70
 Posted 2013-01-13 3:52 PM (#4576367 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

I am very new to this but I would love to be a member of this group.

I would love any suggestions and coments to help me in my upcoming fitness goals

2/10 - half marathon

3/10 -sprint tri

5/5-international tri (maybe)

I am a total newbie.. as of january 1 2012 I was 287 and a 2 pack a day smoker.  Now after a year of quitting smoking (did that in Jan 1) and dropped 80 pounds.  
I have ran 5 5k's and have been training like a madman!

Hope to do a full ironman by the end of 2014

Lou

molly@rosenblumlawlv
 Posted 2013-01-13 4:01 PM (#4576376 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply
Veteran

Silver member

Hi all:

Just thought I would share that it is FREEZING in Las Vegas. Yup a solid 24 degrees when I woke up this morning. I know many of you live in places that are much colder, but I chose the desert and the heat. YIKES it was cold to run outside today. 10 miles but I got it done. I congratulate you all who live where it is much colder and you get it done day in and day out. I dont know how you do it but keep it up.

Molly

Dunewb
 Posted 2013-01-13 4:06 PM (#4576382 - in reply to #4576367
Quote Reply

Lou,

That's awesome! I was a smoker for years and know how hard it is to give up.

Sean

Missleman Duathlon 02 Feb

No big race planned yet

Lou_70
 Posted 2013-01-13 4:07 PM (#4576386 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Thanks!

Yes it was a challenge, but that is behind me thankfully. 

Now after I get the half marathon behind me I will feel a ton better 

?*****?
 Posted 2013-01-13 6:52 PM (#4576548 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Bryan...current workout schedule for January is...

Monday...Run, Abs & Toning, Cycle

Tuesday & Thursday...Swim, Boot Camp, Run, Cycle

Wednesday & Friday...Swim, Run, Abs & Toning, Cycle

Saturday & Sunday...Run

I think that covers it for January.  

Way to go Lou!  Molly you are very brave...as I have yet to face the freezing weather...I tend to run indoors when it is cold like that. (because I am a baby...there I said it Wink)

-----
~Christina~ 
Indoor Tri-3/13 
Mary-5/13 
International Tri-6/13 

bisqit999
 Posted 2013-01-13 6:59 PM (#4576554 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply
New user

If the group is not full, I would like to join.

I set a goal for myself to quit smoking after 20 years and start running on Nov. 1 2010.  I stuck with my goal, ran some 5k races in 2011 and in 2012 completed 2 half marathons, many 5 k races and my first sprint triathlon which I was completely humbled by.  I am a 35 year old nurse and my wife and I had our first child last November.

My goal is to be comfortable with sprint and olympic distance tri's this year and attempt a half ironman by the end of 2014.  I am already registered for a half marathon in the beginning of May for which I will begin training for this week.

Swimming is my biggest hurdle.  I am not a great swimmer at all.

Mike

Chivis1
 Posted 2013-01-13 7:27 PM (#4576592 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply
New user

My name is Silvia I am 46 years los I am from México I used to run I have runed some 10k runs but I started swimming six months ago and now I have a new goal of doing a small triathlon I need help. I will like you to mentor me.

ChunkyBaby
 Posted 2013-01-13 7:44 PM (#4576612 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

If this group is still open I, too, would like to join.

Goal: Half Ironman in May 2013.

I am a 50 year old hausfrau in North Carolina raising 6 kids and have decided to work out towards a goal. I've always liked exercising..it's a sanity thing..but wanted to push myself out of my comfort zone. A million years ago I played tennis and volleyball in high school and college and ran a few marathons before the birth of my first child. Since then I've always incorporated exercise into my life but more along the lines of gym classes. I decided it was time to shake things up. A half Ironman seemed to fit that bill pretty well.

I don't like to swim, despite my kids all being competitive swimmers, and I fell off my new road bike twice on my first ride two months ago. I'm not a runner but I am slowly increasing my mileage. "Slowly" being the operative word. So, I can't even SEE my comfort zone anymore. 

I would describe my training as pretty, um, "organic". In other words, I'm winging it. I do work out probably 6 days a week and am currently just trying to build distances in all three disciplines.

I look forward to learning as much as possible about the world of triathlons. I don't know if this will become my thing or not because it's still so uncomfortable to me, I do know that I will give it my all.

Carolyn

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-01-14 10:00 AM (#4577327 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

Ok - all of you are in. 

I am closing the group now. 

More to come. Very excited to have all of you here. 
Bryan

Lou_70
 Posted 2013-01-14 10:02 AM (#4577335 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Awsome!

Thanks Bryan

triplebypat
 Posted 2013-01-14 10:54 AM (#4577430 - in reply to #4577327
Quote Reply

Veteran

left.right.repeat - 2013-01-14 10:00 AM Ok - all of you are in. 

I am closing the group now. 

More to come. Very excited to have all of you here. 
Bryan

Guess I will be a "lurker" this time around...

To those who have jumped in...Bryan doesn't give himself the credit he deserves. Not only is he an avid athlete, he is one of your biggest supporters right off the bat. I can vouch for that personally!

WHEN you succeed (and you will cuz you are here!) share your stories... when you struggle (and you will at some point, regardless of experience) share your pain...Bryan and his group will do all they can to change that struggle to success!

May you all have the best tri season EVER!

-----
You wanna see what a "plodding elephant" looks like? 

www.Cardiac-Iron.us 
DoItLikeItMeansSomething.org - a 501(c)(3) supporting the fight against heart disease
 Profile stats stats Private message E-mail Log Races Gear Reviews

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-01-15 1:17 PM (#4579652 - in reply to #4556523
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for our sixth season - we will reopen in Jan 2014
Quote Reply Edit
Master

No lurking Patrick. It is expected - check that - required that you mentor these folks right beside me. We will all be together in one group soon

Dfw123
 Posted 2013-01-17 12:06 PM (#4582755 - in reply to #4556523
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for our sixth season - we will reopen in Jan 2014
Quote Reply

I am a few days late to the game, your group sounds interesting, I'll look for you next year.  Good Luck

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-01-17 4:43 PM (#4583338 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

DFW123 - since you asked nice come on in if you want. Send us some info about you

Dfw123
 Posted 2013-01-18 1:41 PM (#4584938 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Wow,
I really appreciate it - unexpected and very nice of you.

My name is Dave Walker and I will be 50 years old this year - I can’t believe I
just said that, time fly’s by. I am a father of 3, and my wife and I are recent
empty nesters as our youngest went off to college this year. I know this will
sound more horrible than I mean, but I LOVE being an empty nester!

Anyway, I started running road races with my daughter when she joined the cross country
team in middle school. It is very hard to find things a father has in common
with his teenage daughter, so I figured this was something we could do together
- many many great memories. I kept with it and progressed to the marathon
distance. Love the distant, but the races took a toll on the body. My last
marathon was the Boston Marathon in 2011. Since then I started triathlon
training/racing. I don’t race much, but I do train a lot. I have done 2
sprints, 1 Olympic, and 1 HIM late last year. My plan for this year is to train
and race the Florida IM. Distance seems daunting right now and I feel a little intimidated.
Joining a mentor group is exactly what I think I need.

I look forward to being part of this group and meeting everyone.  Thanks again

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-01-19 11:18 AM (#4585978 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

Dave - awesome story. I did my first the year I turned 50 as well. Don't get bogged down in the distance. It is very early and we will get you there. 

I have done FL and can tell you it is a fun race but the bike can get a little lonely. Definitely have to have your head right.

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-01-19 11:20 AM (#4585980 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

Not many posts this week so I am thinking some of you may have moved on. 

Do me a favor. If you are still interested in the group, post here by Friday. Depending on our number of people, we may re-open. 

Let me know people. Let's go!

Lou_70
 Posted 2013-01-19 11:20 AM (#4585981 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Just finished a family 5k run at Universal  28:32. Not bad considering I torched myself the first mile trying to keep up with my son.  7:32 first mile!  That made mile 2 definately unconfortable.

Just getting ready for the half marathon Feb 10th.  

-----
Lou 
2/10 St pete half marathon 
3/10 Wildman Sprint Tri 
5/05 Rocketman Olympic Tri 
9/28 - Tower of terror 10 miler 
11/14 -Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Dfw123
 Posted 2013-01-19 11:55 AM (#4586005 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Thanks Bryan,

I am excited to get started on the training. For now I am using the off season primarily on strength training and swimming technique. I planned on using the 30 week training plan from "Be Iron Fit" starting in April. Anyone use the plan or have advise on it?

Dave

Dunewb
 Posted 2013-01-19 12:00 PM (#4586014 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

I'm still in!  I'm currently training one event in the morning S,B,R and doing crossfit endurance at lunch.  I'm taking a couple of days off for recovery this weekend.  I've also been trying the Paleo diet for the last couple of weeks.  I'm using Saturday's as my cheat days.

2013-03-03 1:49 PM

Extreme Veteran

page three of five...

Honey~Badger
 Posted 2013-01-19 12:01 PM (#4586017 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Veteran

Bronze member
I'm still here!  I completed a group swim/run/coffee this morning.
-----

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-01-19 2:09 PM (#4586113 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

Good to hear from several of you. 

Dunewb - tell me how paleo is going. I am intrigued by it but haven't tried it yet. I am concerned that the cave man might not have had Miller Lite.

?*****?
 Posted 2013-01-19 2:15 PM (#4586124 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Still here...completed my 4 miler today.  Smile
-----
~Christina~ 
Indoor Tri-3/13 
Mary-5/13 
International Tri-6/13 

molly@rosenblumlawlv
 Posted 2013-01-19 2:16 PM (#4586127 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply
Veteran

Silver member
I am still here too. Completed a 5.5 mile run this morning at a smoking pace of 8:19s thanks to being chased by my sister who is in my age group this year (no competition here Laughing) and off for a quick swim this afternoon. Happy training everyone.

Lou_70
 Posted 2013-01-19 2:53 PM (#4586160 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Am I doing the correct amout of work for my upcoming training?  Honestly I have no idea if I'm working too hard or not enough.

Monday -swimming 45mins spinning 1 hr brick

Tuesday spinning 1 hr  cardio 9 hours later 1 hour

Wednesday swimming 45 mins spinning 1 hr brick

Thursday 3 mile run

Friday Spinning 1 hr

Saturday mix bag - either swimming 45 mins swimming 1 hr brick or 5 mile run

Sunday Long run day  5 mile to 12 mile run

Thanks!!

-----
Lou 
3/10 Wildman Sprint Tri 

Dunewb
 Posted 2013-01-19 3:04 PM (#4586172 - in reply to #4586113
Quote Reply

Paleo is going well so far. It's like any diet in that it's a pain to give up a lot of what I love to eat.  I've lost 2% body fat in the last two weeks and feel good.  The extra protein is good with the CFE and two a day workouts in order to maintain muscle mass. As far as the beer goes, there's always cheat days!

Sean

Next races: Missleman Duathlon (02 FEB), Bataan Death March (maybe, 17 MAR).

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-01-19 3:15 PM (#4586184 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

Lou - your volume is plenty right now. When tired, dial it back a bit. You don't want to be over trained. Do you have a coach or a plan you are using?

Lou_70
 Posted 2013-01-19 3:25 PM (#4586193 - in reply to #4586184
Quote Reply

I have no plan or trainer.  Which is most of the reason im confused all the time.  The rest of the reason is im just not that bright .

I just read the boards, read articles and train.

The good news is I have not hurt myself yet!!

-----
Lou 
3/10 Wildman Sprint Tri 

Justabassman
 Posted 2013-01-19 4:08 PM (#4586221 - in reply to #4585980
Quote Reply
New user

Silver member
Still here and interested in the group. All work this week!

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-01-20 11:58 AM (#4586822 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

Lou - you are perfect for this group. I am not too bright either. 

That said, your volumes are pretty high this far out from races. Base building is key right now.

Justabassman
 Posted 2013-01-20 12:54 PM (#4586868 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply
New user

Silver member
Got out for a run today - felt great even though barely above freezing in the wind and rain.

Rejoined the gym to get access to a heated pool.

Starting to put together a training plan and picked a sprint tri in Asheville NC on June 15th for my first event.

Honey~Badger
 Posted 2013-01-21 4:25 AM (#4587470 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Veteran

Bronze member
My training week started off rocky, but I finished with a great weekend.  Yesterday I had a session with a local swim coach and came away with some great info, an improvement in my stroke, and some drills to work on.
-----

Dfw123
 Posted 2013-01-21 7:54 AM (#4587579 - in reply to #4587470
Quote Reply

I am always interested in hear about swimming tips from coaches. What tips/excesses did you get.

Irwin5
 Posted 2013-01-21 12:24 PM (#4587983 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

I'm here, not much last week. Ran 7.5, Bike 19.5, Swim 1200yds, trying to learn bi-lateral breathing, have a lot to learn.

Honey~Badger
 Posted 2013-01-21 7:11 PM (#4588499 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Veteran

Bronze member
I need to work on a longer stroke, reaching more, more roll, improving my catch, etc.  My kick was ok, though!
-----

Irwin5
 Posted 2013-01-22 10:37 PM (#4590460 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Swimming is improving, working on bi-lateral breathing, hardly swallowed any water today. It's going to take some time, but I am enjoying the challenge.

Dfw123
 Posted 2013-01-23 8:37 AM (#4590772 - in reply to #4588499
Quote Reply

Honey Badger - These are similar to what I need to work on as well. I find using swimming paddles helps a lot with my catch.

Your name (Honay Badger) looks familier - did you run the Boston Marathon back in 2011?

Dunewb
 Posted 2013-01-23 8:03 PM (#4591958 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

I got back to 2-a-days today.  Some spinning in the morning and Crossfit Endurance at lunch.

ChunkyBaby
 Posted 2013-01-24 1:27 PM (#4593158 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

I had my first anxiety induced triathlon dream last night. You know the dreams where you're back in school and can't find your classroom or you have to take an exam and realize you never went to class and have no idea what's going on? Ya, it was like that. I showed up late and everybody had already started the race and I was wearing a really really baggy wetsuit and on and on it went. 

Starting to feel like I bit off more than I can chew with my May HIM plan.

Even writing this is making my throat close a little...Maybe a good bike trainer workout will help!

Lou_70
 Posted 2013-01-24 2:41 PM (#4593278 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

How do I find out where I can do an open water swim in the Orlando area?

Is there a website.  Yes I know I can just go find a lake and jump in it.  I'm looking for something a little more organized because I really dont feel like drowning this week.

Maybe next week, but not this week

thanks!

Lou

-----
Lou 
3/10 Wildman Sprint Tri 

2013-03-03 1:51 PM

Extreme Veteran

page four of five

Honey~Badger
 Posted 2013-01-24 7:09 PM (#4593634 - in reply to #4590772
Quote Reply

Veteran

Bronze member
Nope, wasn't me.
-----

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-01-27 1:14 PM (#4596624 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

Chunky - breathe - breathe - breathe ----it was a big bite but we can get through it.  Breathe.  Now go swim....

Open Water swims - try triathlon shops locally - many have training groups you can join pretty inexpensively or you can just show up when they open water swim and see if they will let you tag along.  One other option is to find a kayak club or rental place and ask someone who has rented a kayak if they will stay with you while you swim.  Many people don't have anyone to paddle with or anywhere specific to go but they like to kayak - I would think they would stay with you just for something different.  Finally, ask the other swimmers at your pool to see if they OWS somewhere in the area.  One other idea, get a couple of them together and rent a kayak - one of you paddles while the others swim, then trade places....and so on and so on

Do NOT open water swim alone.  Period.  I don't care what floaties you have on.....don't swim open water alone.

Wear a swim cap at the pool.  Not only is it better for your hair, if people see you are a triathlete, they will sometimes ask you questions and you might find a OWS buddy.  With swim caps, wet your hair, put on the cap and swim.  This keeps as much chlorine out of your hair as possible.  Ladies - if you happen to color your hair - this will keep the color in your hair much longer.

Did I mention - NEVER OPEN WATER SWIM ALONE

Swim tips - REACH - this will extend your roll as well, if you want to roll more, reach more, you can't help but roll.  Be sure your hand is in a hydrodynamic position as you reach.

Another tip - keep your nose pointed at the bottom.  Your eyes should be looking straight at the bottom of the pool.  The top of your head should be pointed at the wall where you are swimming.  Do NOT raise your head up or your feet will sink.  If you feel your feet sink, point your eyes further toward the bottom of the pool and your feet will float.  What happens here is that you get more weight (in your torso) using the buoyancy of your lungs (the most buoyant part of your body).  When your head is up and your eyes and nose are pointed/facing where you are going, that buoyancy is wasted holding up your head and nothing else....all that weight in your torso and legs sinks....trust me it works....

A great exercise, go to the pool, float on your back.....yes you can, I know I know, you sink....trust me - you can float on your back.  You are not too heavy....it took me three weeks trying for over 30 minutes a day but you can float...and when you get it - you will understand buoyancy and efficiency in the water....   Reminder - a fish swims like this   ------     only humans try to swim with this body position     /     head up and feet down in not very fish like.....by the way, trying to float, we a nose plug and goggles, relax, breathe, have a bit of propulsion (barely push off the wall as you just want to be moving) and put the back of your head further under water....I know - you think you are....put it further....like the water will be going in your eyes, nose and mouth from time to time.

have a great week....we will be moving over to the other group next week.

Bryan

bisqit999
 Posted 2013-01-27 2:15 PM (#4596680 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply
New user

I started running again this week after a few weeks off due to a medical issue.  Plus its freezing here in NY.  Went for an easy 3 miler that ended up not feeling so easy.  I'll get back to where I want to be quickly I'm sure.  Finding time for everything is a huge obstacle.  Full time job, part time school, and a 10 week old baby!

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-01-27 3:23 PM (#4596761 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

Great job - I am sure it is cold in NY...pretty warm in TX right now...but it will also be HOT this summer

molly@rosenblumlawlv
 Posted 2013-01-28 8:47 PM (#4598814 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply
Veteran

Silver member
so the whole family has the flu. At what point is it not ok to get in a workout?

Dfw123
 Posted 2013-01-29 8:08 AM (#4599273 - in reply to #4598814
Quote Reply

I dont know, but in my house, as soon as my wife gets sick everything turns to chaos.  Thats when I abandon my workout and learn to apprecite all she does!

ChunkyBaby
 Posted 2013-01-29 8:41 AM (#4599342 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Bryan, thank you so much for the swimming tips. It inspired me enough to almost go to the pool yesterday..

I am going today (really!) and I've also taken your advice and joined my local Y's multi-sport club. Again, way beyond my normal bounds but they do some open water swimming and even I realize I can't have my race day be my first time open water swimming. I signed my 20 year old son up as well (he was a competitive swimmer for 12 years and is now coaching). He's also been all over me about my stroke reach and rolling so I am focusing on that today..when I go.

Carolyn

ChunkyBaby
 Posted 2013-01-29 8:45 AM (#4599346 - in reply to #4598814
Quote Reply

I remember somebody telling me once that if you don't feel well above the neck, i.e. head cold, working out was still okay. If it's below the neck - chest congestion, general body malaise, etc,- it's best to rest. 

That was also eleventybillion years ago but maybe there's some truth to that. Regardless, hope you all start feeling better soon.

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-01-29 10:12 AM (#4599540 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

Carolyn - get you A$$ to the pool. Haha. Did that work?

Working out while sick-- many opinions here - mine is simple. I try to try. If I can't do it I stop. Look, if you can't breathe it is not doing anyone any good. Also some medicines raise your heart rate so be careful here. 

Walk, spin slowly on a spin bike. Take it easy. 

No one does every workout on a training plan - no matter what they say. 

Be smart. Don't overdo it when sick. Recover and then get to work

ChunkyBaby
 Posted 2013-01-29 1:24 PM (#4599882 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Bryan, since you asked so nicely...

2000 yards today. It didn't feel completely awful either. I focused on rolling, reaching and pointing my nose down. I may even have swallowed a tad less water and ended with a little less of a headache than I usually do. 

Still loathe it, though.

Carolyn

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-01-29 2:30 PM (#4600042 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

Carolyn, my first swim in 2007 was 37 1/2 yds. That is it. Now I can swim 2.4 miles and actually enjoy it. It's not fast, may not be pretty but it gets done. I also really like to swim too. You might come around as well - especially with that really positive attitude. Haha

Dunewb
 Posted 2013-01-31 9:39 AM (#4602707 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Updated my training log for this week. Legs are feeling like lead from sprints.

snicoll44
 Posted 2013-01-31 12:44 PM (#4603071 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

I am still here, sorry I have not been on here in a few days! The training is going well, I have been focusing on my swimming and maintaining my bike and run. I am in the pool three days a week, and I bought a trainer so I can bike at home during these winters months. I also have been participating in our local running club's winter series events. It has been nice to run outside with a group rather than the boring treadmill sessions. I will start a 20 week program on Monday working towards my first Half Ironman in June. Has anyone used the training programs on BT for the Half distance? Thoughts on it?

Steve

Hudson Crossings Tri -June 9th

HITS North Country Tri 1/2 Iron - June 29th *Big Race

Edited by snicoll44 2013-01-31 12:57 PM

molly@rosenblumlawlv
 Posted 2013-02-03 8:57 AM (#4606272 - in reply to #4603071
Quote Reply
Veteran

Silver member
snicoll44 - 2013-01-31 10:44 AM

I am still here, sorry I have not been on here in a few days! The training is going well, I have been focusing on my swimming and maintaining my bike and run. I am in the pool three days a week, and I bought a trainer so I can bike at home during these winters months. I also have been participating in our local running club's winter series events. It has been nice to run outside with a group rather than the boring treadmill sessions. I will start a 20 week program on Monday working towards my first Half Ironman in June. Has anyone used the training programs on BT for the Half distance? Thoughts on it?

Steve

HITS North Country Tri 1/2 Iron - June 29th *Big Race

Steve:

I am currently using the BT intermediate half IM program - love it. I have used it three times and have done well with it each time including a 4th place finish at Silverman here in las vegas foreever ago. I have used another online training program for two years that was entirely HR based and it did not work for me. I wont say it did nothing as I think it gave me a great foundation but in terms of racing I felt the program did not contain enough "race pace" workouts that is why I have come back to the BT program. I think you will need to find what works for you and alot of that will depend on your fitness level when you start, how much time you have to train and working with what works for you. My husband is currently using the super simple half ironman training program from Triathlete Magazine (you can find it on google). It seems to have a lot less volume and is a little less structured training but it works for him.

Good luck!

Molly

snicoll44
 Posted 2013-02-04 8:03 AM (#4607295 - in reply to #4606272
Quote Reply

Thanks Molly for the feedback. I will definitely check out the program Triathlete Magazine too. I can already see that I am going to have to use whatever program I choose as just a guide for what should be accomplished on a weekly basis depending on how much time I have to devote to training. Like yourself, my spouse is training for a race as well, and we have our kids schedules to throw in the mix. Scheduling training is a challenge in itself!
-----
Steve 

HITS North Country Tri 1/2 Iron - June 29th *Big Race 

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-02-08 9:38 AM (#4614268 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

I have had a crazy couple of weeks with work and the world but I am excited to see you all talking and helping each other. 

That is exactly how we roll. 

Secon half marathon of the year done last Sunday. Spent all week this week in Orlando. Back to Dallas and then to San Antonio tonight for my moms 80th birthday tomorrow. I am already tired. 

Train on!!!!

Lou_70
 Posted 2013-02-08 9:41 AM (#4614279 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Running my first half marathon on Sunday.. wish me well since I was sick as a dog last week.. dang flu.

Hopefully should do ok.... just setting a goal of finishing, then I can access for the next time!

-----
Lou 
3/10 Wildman Sprint Tri 

Dfw123
 Posted 2013-02-08 1:21 PM (#4614727 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

"Off season" is almost over for me.  P90X program is done, I have 1 more swim lesson scheduled, and my injuries are all healed! I plan on slowly building up my run in March as I havent run since September.  Official IM training will start in April.  Can't wait to start IM training; the distance is intimadating but I know my confidence will grow as training progresses.

Anyone else planning on doing an IM this year?

Lou_70
 Posted 2013-02-13 2:57 PM (#4621160 - in reply to #4614279
Quote Reply

Well, got the half marathon done... I am still looking for the elephant that jumped on my back at mile marker 7...

You dont realize how much your not over being sick until every muscle in your body hurts in the middle of no where 

No worries, now the sprint tri is next and I feel pretty good about that one hopefully wont get sick before this one!

-----
Lou 
3/10 Wildman Sprint Tri 

Dunewb
 Posted 2013-02-14 7:50 PM (#4623054 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Congrats on the 1/2!  If you can do a half marathon right after being sick the sprint should be a piece of cake.

2013-03-03 1:52 PM

Extreme Veteran

page five of five....the new people are officially here...welcome them and teach them....

bisqit999
 Posted 2013-02-15 5:02 PM (#4624401 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply
New user

At my LBS today, I asked if they had any used road bikes.  I really don't know anything about bikes and rely on them to point me in the right direction.  They had a 2012 Trek 1.2 they used as a rental that was in great shape and well maintained by the shop.  $499.   They told me it was the correct size for me and a great first road bike.  Sound good?  Thoughts?

Dunewb
 Posted 2013-02-17 8:47 PM (#4626154 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

I've heard good things about Trek's.  Unfortunately, I'm not that knowledgeable about their road bikes other than that.  I would say that how good the deal is will depend in part on what the drive train is.  Is it SRAM Red or Shimano 105 or somewhere in between?

Lou_70
 Posted 2013-02-18 7:50 AM (#4626451 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Im trading in my  Specialized Cirrus Sport hybrid for a new Giant road bike this week.  The hybrid was good for training me up a bit, but I need the road bike for 30 mile plus distance rides and just getting used to positioning.

Took my first swim lesson this morning, it was very nice.. The trainer worked with me on my elbows higher out of the water and my hand entry.. I could notice the difference immediately.

-----
Lou 
3/10 Wildman Sprint Tri 

Dfw123
 Posted 2013-02-18 7:54 AM (#4626455 - in reply to #4624401
Quote Reply

A friend of mine has this bike and as far as I know, the bike is an entry level bike with an aluminum frame and Shimano parts. I think it retails new for somewhere around 800??  He says it is a good bike but since it is entry level, it does not come with the best components.  However, he says it is fine for a beginner such as himself. 

Trek is a good name brand for a bike, and if it is just used with no damage/modifications it sounds like $500 is a fair price, but you could probably do a quick search on ebay (or elsewhere) for the price of this bike used.

The most important thing by far is that the bike is the right size for you and that you are comfortable on it.

Good Luck

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-02-18 10:41 AM (#4626755 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

Lou - congrats on the half. Great job. Sometimes we just get it done. 

I cannot agree with DFW123 more. Exactly right. Fit is much more important than brand or color. Be sure it fits. A free bike that doesn't fit is a bad deal. Gone are the days of buying a cool color Huffy at Walmart. Buying a use starter bike is a good plan. That way, if you hate this stuff or immediately want a Tri bike - you haven't hurt yourself too much financially.

snicoll44
 Posted 2013-02-19 9:55 AM (#4628179 - in reply to #4624401
Quote Reply

Fit is definitely the most important feature on buying a bike. You will be spending a lot of time in the saddle! But to answer your question about the Trek model, I bought a used 2007 Trek 1000 which is a very similair model to the 1.2, for around the same cost as my first road bike. Three years later I am still riding it. You can not go wrong with the Trek brand. It is a solid beginner bike with decent components that you can upgrade as you see fit. I since have upgraded my shifters, seat post, cassettee and added areo bars to give myself more of an aero position ride.

-----
Steve 

HITS North Country Tri 1/2 Iron - June 29th *Big Race 

molly@rosenblumlawlv
 Posted 2013-02-23 6:31 PM (#4634519 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply
Veteran

Silver member
I agree with the others on fit. Fit is the absolute most important thing. I have owned 2 Trek road bikes since starting triathlons. The first I'm not even sure what it was but I can tell you it was school bus yellow. I stayed on that thing for years and it was great. Reliable, aluminum with low end parts. After I became serious about racing, I purchased the Trek Madone. Significantly more expensive but much better components. Great road bike, still ride it to this day and raced my middle few years of triathlon on this bike. 2 years ago I bought my Quintana Roo Cd 0.1 - lovely bike, looks fast. But honestly, if I had it to do over again, I would have gone to Trek. The Quintana is stiff and a different feel. The biggest problem it is ever so slightly too big. I have been chasing fit for 2 years and it has shown in my bike splits. So the moral of my story, find a good fitting bike (and also a great bike seat). If it is an investment you plan to make for the next few years, make sure it fits. If it doesnt fit, chances are you wont ride it.

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-03-02 4:56 PM (#4643655 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

Hey is anybody still here?

I want to move you guys into my old group. I will post a link tomorrow. Very smart people to help us out over there. 

I have been asked to be the national team director for Team Beads of Courage - a charity I have been involved with for a couple of years. That is keeping me very busy and I apologize for not being here much. I want to get you over to the old group so they can help with your questions and guidance. 

Bryan

Lou_70
 Posted 2013-03-02 5:12 PM (#4643669 - in reply to #4643655
Quote Reply

Sounds good!

I got my first Tri on March 10th... if it goes well I'm signing up for a half iron in December in Miami. 

-----
Lou 
3/10 Wildman Sprint Tri 

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-03-02 6:17 PM (#4643714 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

Go Lou Go!!

Dunewb
 Posted 2013-03-02 7:42 PM (#4643751 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

Still here.  I haven't been doing much this week.  Sinus and ear infection have slowed me down a bit.

ChunkyBaby
 Posted 2013-03-02 9:30 PM (#4643848 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

I'm still here as well. I was kind of on a training roll until I went down with the flu and sinus issues and a weird a$$ knee injury that I can only describe as "styrofoam knee". Not sure where to go from here. I hate giving up on anything, though, so until May 19th comes and goes, I'm still a go for my half IM.All the best to those overcoming illnesses, lousy weather, and hectic schedules as well as those sailing strong through training. I can't wait to hear the triumphant tales.

Dfw123
 Posted 2013-03-03 7:27 AM (#4644097 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply

I am here also. 1 more month of non-structured training, they the formal program begins for me

left.right.repeat
 Posted 2013-03-03 1:45 PM (#4644371 - in reply to #4556523
Quote Reply Edit
Master

OK folks...here is the link....this will take you to page 56 where your first five pages have been copied and pasted by way of introduction...feel free to dive in and have fun...all the folks there are nice....go for it!!!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=418717&posts=1105#M4644366

Lou_70
 Posted 2013-03-03 1:50 PM (#4644378 - in reply to #4586014
Quote Reply

Hey folks!

Just making sure this link worked.. I look forward to talking and meeting everyone!

-----
Lou 
3/10 Wildman Sprint Tri 

2013-03-03 2:01 PM

Extreme Veteran

This is the end of the copied posts....everything after this is live.  I posted the new people's pages so you can read about them....

New people - take some time and read the 56 pages....you will learn a lot....okay...at least a bit about triathlon....more about these people....and that's what it is all about....welcome to the best group on BT....any advice from these folks can be deemed to be from me....I will step in and correct Billy when he is wrong...haha....everyone here is awesome....

Bryan

2013-03-03 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3976889

Orlando
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - 5th year mentor - OPEN

Hello folks!

Just testing out the new link. Look forward to meeting everyone!!

2013-03-03 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4644403

Extreme Veteran
you did it...it worked....LOU you are in the right place....yippee!!!
2013-03-03 2:09 PM
in reply to: #4644408

Orlando
thats spooky that I figured it out... Trust me if I did everyone should have no issue
2013-03-03 4:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
am here. was on vacation for a few days hiking through St. George. looking forward to seeing everyone here.
2013-03-03 4:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
Welcome to the big group Molly. There is a lot of knowledge here. Be sure to learn all you can.

2013-03-03 4:38 PM

User image

Still here...completed indoor tri today.  [taking a look around]...please to meet everyone here and have a great week!  Smile
2013-03-03 7:05 PM

User image

Expert
Wahoo! Welcome to the new folks. Brian, how long does it take to get the beads? I need to get one for the TIR. Credit card was compromised and just got the new one. Great cause!
2013-03-03 8:49 PM

User image

El Paso, TX
Hello everyone! Glad to be a part of the group.
2013-03-04 8:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yea, the new people are here, the new people are here!

Welcome!  I tried to read all the pages and wrote all your names down so bare with me as I still learn more about you.  This is a great group that likes to have fun and we learn from each other.

Ann - it is perfectly fine to reverse your bricks.  Remember there are dualathons out there that makes you run/bike/run so you were fine.

Kathy (KTC)

2013-03-04 8:48 AM

Connecticut
Hello everyone, I am happy to be part of this group also.  Look forward to many great discussions!

2013-03-04 10:39 AM

Extreme Veteran
Christina - great job!!! Congrats. I will add the finish line.

Briana - let me check on the status. When is TIR?
2013-03-04 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4645443

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have a HM this weekend, will I be cutting it too close to order?

left.right.repeat - 2013-03-04 11:39 AM 

2013-03-04 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4645443

User image

Expert

left.right.repeat - 2013-03-04 10:39 AM Christina - great job!!! Congrats. I will add the finish line.

March 23 & 24

I can get online and order today if I need to.

2013-03-04 1:24 PM

User image

Expert

Just got done reading about all the new folks and again, WELCOME!

I can't respond to everyone in one post, but I did make a few notes on things that stood out to me.

KG - I'm jealous of your yoga retreat.  I don't know if I could do 10 days of complete silence, but I would love to go on one of those yoga retreats at a beautiful beach one of these days.  I just recently started teaching yoga, but still have lots to learn.

Karen - walking a marathon in 5:45 is impressive.  The first marathon I "ran" was 5:41.  Yeah, there was a lot of walking too, but if you didn't run any, that's a pretty darn fast walk!

Sean - thanks for your service to the country.  I run as a Team Red, White & Blue member for some races.  And Patrick (triplybypat) and I help with a tri camp for military veterans that is put on through Team RWB.

Lou - congrats on quitting smoking and on the great weight loss!

Dave - I have done two Ironman races (IMFL in 2010 and IMAZ in 2012) and used the Be Iron Fit plan for both of them.  I followed the competitive plan as best I could because I figured I would be better off doing that and missing a few workouts than following the intermediate plan.  I did rearrange the days of some of the workouts to meet my busy schedule, but it worked for me.  I came in at 13:56 in FL and 13:49 in AZ.  I was happy with that.

Looking forward to sharing in the journeys with everyone.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  

of 57