BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-03-04 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3965644

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013

Wow, welcome new members!!  Very varied.  Seasoned athletes and first timers.  so glad to have you all.

Can't reply to every one but like Kathy, I went back and took a few notes.

Molly, you seem to have alot of experience.  I welcome your input.  Thinking of getting a Medone (sp?) for my HIM.  Don't want to give up comfort, see my previous post.

Welcome to both Steves.  One I remember is quite new to the sport. I started in my late 40's and turned 50 last year.  Haven't done the big one (Full IM) but training for my my second HIM.

Connie, I have no natural ability either.  I can swim but only cuz I swam as a kid, but it doesn't help me much cuz the tri swim is fairly short.  My bike and run splits are weak (11.30 miles) but I'm not a competitor, just a doer.  Just trying to do my best. The training also allows me to keep eating my husband's wonderful cooking.

Lou,  you are a perfect fit for this group!! Winging it like me!  I have become a Gold member and I am training with BT's HIM custom program.  (Mostly cuz it's cheap and I can't afford a trainer)It allows me to move things around cuz I have a crazy schedule too.  I do what I can and don't worry about what I can't get in. 

Getting sick is the worst.  Mentally it takes such a huge toll.  I am learning to let it go!!  Those empty weeks in the training scheudle are upsetting but just get past it.

Carolyn,  I'm so glad you put your name cuz I didn't want to call you Chunky. I hate the tri nightmares!!  I usually dream I can't find my bike in transition or the bikes are on separate lawns across my neighborhood.  It is wild what the unconscious does to us!!  Haven't had one yet this year but I know they are coming.

Dave, enjoy the empty nest and compete with your kids when you can.  No judgement here!!

Sean, thanks for your service!!  You are quite ambitous as well.

Welcome one and all.

It's going to be a great year!!

ann

2013-03-05 8:40 AM

User image

Expert

Welcome to all the new folks.  I just want to tell all of the new folks this little bit of information.  When you post on this thread, it is my job to reply with smart@$$ remarks.  It doesn't mean that I am mean or that I hate you, it is just what it is!  Nothing is meant by it other than to try to make you laugh! 

That being said, I have no smart@$$ remarks as of this time.

Bryan is amazing.  I remember my first Ironman and how Bryan called me and talked to me on the phone for 45 minutes a week or so before the race letting me ask the stupidest questions and answering them with the most patience.  You are lucky to have a mentor like him.

Someone posted a few days ago about which workout to blow off if you were not able to get them all in.  I have my opinion and that is all it is.  I know that when you do a run workout, you get the most bang for your buck.  It has the most direct impact on yor ability to run "better".  When you do a bike workout, it is the second most bang for your buck.  When you do the swim, very little bang.  What I mean is, if you spend 5 hours a week running, you will see remarkable gains in your run time (minutes improvement) and ability, if you spend 5 hours a week swimming, you see very little time improvement (maybe seconds over weeks and weeks), and you smell like chlorine!

That being said, blow off the swim.  If you can't swim well enough to complete the distance you are racing, then this is horrible advice.  Just my opinion.

Now, for another note.  I recieved an email last night about a race that starts in New Orleans, and finishes in Pensicola.  I think 263 miles across for states.  12 man run relay or a 6 man bike relay.  Now that seems really interesting.  Anyone interested for the 2014 race?  It is run in early April so would be difficult to put together for this year, but maybe next?

It inspired me to get Carmen out, clean her up and reinstall the wheels and get the trainer ready.  My funk is over, I think.

Several have asked in the past about Little Caesar's.  Lease is signed, building demo is complete, plans are out for bids, and Matt (my son-in-law and partner) starts training in Detroit next Monday.  Don't worry, he is ready for Detroit.  He just finished his 3rd tour of duty in the middle east.  We like to think it was preparation for 6 weeks in the real battle zone we all call Detroit!

Again welcome newbies and Lena, where is my Fricking Cake?

2013-03-05 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
A 2014 relay sounds like fun.  Team LRR!  And who can argue with starting in New Orleans.  Obviously will need more details to commit, but it sounds doable.
2013-03-05 12:46 PM

User image

Expert

http://www.gulfcoastinterstaterelay.com/

You ask, You receive!  Cause thats how I roll!

2013-03-05 1:37 PM

Extreme Veteran
Billy - I am doing it this year on a five person cycle team. I will let everyone know how it goes.

KTC - call BOC today - they may be able to get them to you.

Briana - you should be fine ordering online.

If you are doing the 13 in 2013, they are due to ship 3/15.
2013-03-05 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4647332

User image

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like fun, Billy!  Count me in and if we do the bike and not trying to break any records I might be able to convince my hubby to do this with us.

elcaminobill - 2013-03-05 1:46 PM

http://www.gulfcoastinterstaterelay.com/

You ask, You receive!  Cause thats how I roll!

2013-03-05 1:56 PM

User image

Expert

Bryan, you are allowed a 6 man relay team aren't you?  Are y'all looking for a 6th?

Everyone else, next year is a definate!

2013-03-05 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4647415

User image

Expert

left.right.repeat - 2013-03-05 1:37 PM Billy - I am doing it this year on a five person cycle team. I will let everyone know how it goes.

KTC - call BOC today - they may be able to get them to you.

Briana - you should be fine ordering online.

If you are doing the 13 in 2013, they are due to ship 3/15.

I ordered mine yesterday.  I only ordered one for right now.  I don't have many events planned for this year.  If I can rethink the calendar and figure it out without killing myself, I might go for the 13 in 2013.

2013-03-08 6:21 PM

Veteran
Quail Valley

Welcome to all the new people. Never be worried about asking a question. I am sure at least one person has asked the same question when they were learning too.

I need some running advice. Dr. says I got sick in Dec. because my immune system was weak from the stress of my inlaws dying and I keep getting sick before it can get better. I doing ragnar ultra team with my tri club on april 19-20. Not much time to get in shape. I am down to plan D now. I can start running again on monday. I just want to get in shape enough to not tear myself up during the race I am resigning myself to having to slow way down. Any suggestions?

I hate to say it but I agree with Billy on what to skip. If you have to skip on a run skip an easier day.

Edited by phildampier 2013-03-08 6:24 PM
2013-03-08 9:48 PM

User image

Expert
What do you mean you hate to agree with Billy, it should an honor to agree with Billy.
2013-03-09 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island

Hey Billy,  It's great to see you online!  It was me who asked about skipping a work out.  Let me narrow it downmore.  Would you skip the long swim or your short swim?  I'm guesesing you will say, depends on your time crunch. 

I'm on the trainer for my bike workout. Frown It's miserable.  The roads here are just so mucked up with debris and pot holes from a harsh winter.  I'm a little scared to ride out there yet. Not to mention we are hoping to hit 50 this weekend.  Might go out tomorrow.  I don't want to do 24 miles on the trainer. Cry

Have a great week end every one!

ann

2013-03-09 12:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ann - always skip the shorter workout. Regardless the sport, the long workout, by default, is the more important.

Billy - I know we had to turn in our final roster several weeks ago. We also had to send in leg assignments 2 weeks ago but let me check with the other folks and see. Regardless, you should come down and hang out with us.
2013-03-09 1:26 PM

Orlando

Kinda nervous tomorrow is my first Triathlon.

Doing the sprint and I'm sure I'm preparred, but still know I'm gonna screw something up.

Ill keep you posted and I will try not to trip over any one.

2013-03-09 1:35 PM

Orlando

Oh,

Quick question.  Tomorrow I am using a hand me down wetsuit. It is sleeveless and probably one size too small for me.. Well at least I think so, because it took me 15 mins to get into the thing and I felt like I was trying to stuff 15 lbs of marshmellows into a 10 lb bag.

What is a real good wetsuit that I should look at moving forward.  I would like to get one that is extremely easy to get off and of course one that I will look awsome in!! so obviously it will have to include some sort of mind altering ray beam or something like that.

2013-03-09 3:30 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lou - relax if you can. You will do great - even if you trip over someone. Just be sure they stay down!!!

Wetsuits - there are many great brands. 2XU and Rocket Science Sports are two of my favorites. One idea is to watch the Xterra wetsuit site for your first as they put them on sale often. Wetsuits can get really expensive so you might want to get one early and be sure you lie the sport before jumping in the deep end.

Sounds like the wetsuit you borrowed fits you well if it took 15 minutes to put it on. It is like putting sausage in a casing. Tough. Be sure to get it off your shoulders and down to your waist while you are headed to T1.

Also when putting it on, pull the legs up - in other words - get it WAY up in your crotch to give your shoulders ample room and movement. When you think you have it all the way up in your crotch, pull it up a bit more. The legs will likely be high waters unless you are shorter.

Good luck - we will look for your race report.

B
2013-03-10 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Lou - Can't wait to hear how your first sprint went!  I am sure you are did fine, and no matter how many times we have done tri's, we all have messed something up.  At least I have so don't stress over doing everything perfect.

2013-03-10 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Bryan  - Put me down for a finish line.

I finally had my first race of 2013 and it was a half marathon....one that is advertised as a PR race.  Well, it wasn't a PR race for me as I missed it by 3 minutes but that is okay.  I knew going in that I might miss the PR as I didn't feel as race ready as I did last year.  I only been training for this race for about a month.  

I have decided to take a break from training and from my coach for about 2 months.  I feel really bad about taking this break but with my coach just having a baby and I really have nothing to train for right now I felt that it might do me some good to relax the mind and focus on other things before IMAZ training starts up.  I know I will still be working out but I won't be on such a time schedule and I can do whatever I want.  We will start back up in May.

Edited by krazytallchick 2013-03-10 9:14 AM
2013-03-10 8:51 AM

User image

El Paso, TX

Lou,

Good luck!  I can't wait to hear how your first went.  

Sean

Next race: Bataan Death March 17 March.

2013-03-10 10:34 AM

Orlando

Whew what a day!!! Well to say the least this was an eye opening experience that let me know what I needed to work on.

1-Swim.  Well the water was 58 degrees and I put on my wetsuit for the first time.  Everyone told me to get a couple lake swims in before I did this, but of course I didn't.  SO  I ran in and immediately the cold water shocked my system.  I tried to start swimming but could not breathe properly because I never wore a wetsuit before. Finally I put my face down and the water was dark as night and I could not even see 2 inches in front of me. I totally lost it.  I was terrified more than running through a pack of pit bulls with 50 steaks tied all over my body.  I pretty much doggie paddeled for 400 yards with the lifeguards in view the entire time.  They were awsome supporting me and trying to help the best way I could.  Needless to say after killing myself in the water I was very very tired getting out to t-1 which was a quarter mile run to the transisition area in sand.

2- Bike.  After getting through the run, even though my legs were just miserable the bike went well. I averaged about 17-18 mph through most of the run and passed 8-10 people, I'm glad I did because I knew my run would be less than par and I had to get some kind of lead or my goal of not finishing dead last would not be met. 

3-run.  Going through t-2 was a breeze and started the 5k.  It was a rough run and I had to take a couple walk breaks at the water stations just to loosen up.  I didnt pass anyone else but only got passed by 3 people so I call that a win.

Learnings

- get an immediate swim coach to teach me how to swim in open water.

-Immediately sign up for another sprint and keep doing sprints until I am VERY confortable in the water and can move up distance.

My goal of a Half Iron in 2013 probably will not happen this year, but that only means I can do it next year.  I am totally fine with learning how to run the sprints and get through a swim without totally draining my body. Sad since I swim at the swim center 2 times a week over a mile each time and 400 measly meters almost killed me :P  That only means that when I get it down I will be a force to be reconed with... well not really but go with me on that!

Thanks for all the support and im sure this is the start of many!

2013-03-10 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4653095

User image

Expert

The trainer is really the best bang for your buck as far as "workout" because you can never coast.  Set up in front of the tv and ride like the wind.

As far as what set to skip, depends on your time crunch!  But, again, if you can already swim the distance, it really won't matter.  Again this is my opinion and not based on scientific research!  

Who are we kidding, we know I am never wrong, just take my advice!

2013-03-10 12:38 PM

User image

El Paso, TX

Lou,

Congrats triathlete!  One rule I've read many times is to never try new gear for the first time in a race.  Maybe that means trying the wetsuit in a pool first? I guess I'm lucky since there's no open water here all of the tri's have the swim portion in a pool. No wetsuit needed.

Sean

Next race: Bataan Death March 17 March (not a tri but should still be fun

2013-03-10 1:14 PM

User image

Expert

Lou 70, I am confused.  Does the number one rule of triathlons not apply to you?    

I told you my job was to be the smart @$$.  

Nothing new on race day!  But that probably wasn't the only problem.  Nothing is worse and I mean almost nothing at all is worse than a wetsuit that is even one size to small!  I have done many tri's and did most in the same wetsuit.  2 years ago in my half ironman in Branson, MO. The day before, I put my wetsuit on and realized that I had gained just enough muscle, (now thats funny right there, muscle), that the suit made it very difficult to breath.  I ended up buying a new suit at the expo that day so I could get in at least one swim in it before the race, so I wouldn't be in a new wetsuit on the day of the race.  This is very important to remember in the future.

NOW, before you spend money on a wetsuit, I would be glad to loan you mine to try on and decide if it would work for you.  You pay shipping to and from is all I ask.  Of course it would depend on your size to even know if that would help.  Just let me know.

Just for your peace of mind, you will be glad to know, I HAVE NEVER PEE'D IN MY WETSUIT, or for that matter, on my bike.

Also, in the future, place your feet in plastic shopping bags, it will allow you to slip your feet in with the greatest of ease.

Billy

2013-03-10 1:22 PM

Orlando
I would be an extra large. My biggest issue is just the complete unconfortability of open water swimming. I have to get 20-25 good swims in open water to be comfortable. The wetsuit just didn't help the situation at all.Besides that the race was an Awsome experience
2013-03-10 2:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lou = Triathlete.

End of story

Great job. If it was easy everyone would do it. You did great.
2013-03-10 2:16 PM

Extreme Veteran
Finish lines updated
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  

of 57