BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott's Mentor Group-Closed for training. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 47

2012-10-01 4:10 AM
in reply to: #4128934

Subject: RE: Scott's Mentor Group-Closed for training.

Paul, congrats on completing the half iron man, looking forward to reading the race report!!

Did a 'sprint tri' on the weekend, 400m swim, 20k ride, 5k run, ride was very hilly, completed in 1 hour 9 mins, relatively happy with that!!

Have bought a turbo trainer to get some indoor training through the winter, so hopefully bike splits will improve

Goals for next year...... Olympic distance Tri, 3 or 4 sprint tris, there is also a ironman 70:3 that I may enter, but waiting to see how fitness improves over the winter.

What are your goals for next season?

Gareth

2012-10-01 5:55 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Goals for 2013 Season:

Triathlon Sprint - March 2013
Bike Race 67 mile - March 2013
Run 5k - April 2013
Triathlon Olympic - May 2013
Triathlon Olympic - July 2013
Triathlon Sprint - September 2013
Triathlon Half Ironman - October 2013

IRONMAN TEXAS - MAY 2014!!!!
2012-10-01 6:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

My only goal is to get stronger and faster. I still need a lot of work.

Congrats on the race Paul!!

2012-10-03 6:45 PM

User image

Veteran

Hey guys here is my Pocono HIM race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=463355

Next season goals I will post tomorrow - hope everyone is doing great!

2012-10-05 4:58 AM

Great race report
2012-10-05 7:13 AM
in reply to: #4441713

User image

Veteran
Brunswick, Georgia

(Rocky music playing LOUD)

I'm back! Helllllloooooooo tri trainers!!!! I have been snooping the last few weeks and reading a lot of your progres. It seems everyone is continuing the path towrds Kona!

It has been a wild 8 weeks here at the Hutson house. The twins are doing well and we are getting as much rest as we can. My wife went back to work this week and training is back on! We are working on a new routine so not exaclt sure when I will get my sessions in but I will.

Went for an easy 2 miler Wednesday to get the legs loose. Went for another 2 miler yesterday with the wife to give her some encouragement! Gonna hit an easy swim and ride over the weekend to knock the cob webs off.

Hope you are well! I look forward to wrapping up 2012 ns discussing goals for next year!

Woo!!!

2012-10-07 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Bike ExpertsOk, with lots of triathlon goals for 2013 season I've been looking at aero bikes. I know nothing about them but my local bike shop is making me a really good offer on a 2012 Shiv Comp Rival Mid-Compact.Thoughts? I can't find a lot of reviews on the bike. Anybody know much about it?
2012-10-09 6:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
So I'm not going to do the 10K this weekend. I've been having a lot of knee pain and last night the chiropractor said it was probably my IT band. I don't want to aggravate it. I need to figure out how to treat it before it becomes a bigger problem.
2012-10-23 9:09 AM

User image

Hey Everyone!

Sorry for my extra long absence but things have been a bit crazy in the personal life/professional life and I haven't been getting on the computer as much when I'm not working. And to be honest, I was a little blue with my training.

I have been trying to keep up with my training but fell off on the bike and swim for the last month, was really focusing on the run for the Army Ten Miler. Well after this past Sunday and the race ... I should've just kept training all three. Time was not what I wanted but what can you do? Not every race can be a PR. On a good note it has me more focused, so I was back in the pool this morning.

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the cool down this time of year! Running with the changing leaves always makes it easier... well as long as they aren't on the road where I'm running or riding! Wink

-Matt

2012-10-24 5:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
Hi Matt! I'm still checking in. I've been off my training lately too but slowly getting back out there. I just kind of needed some downtime and had some things to work on health-wise.
2012-10-24 5:53 AM
in reply to: #4466577

User image

Veteran
Brunswick, Georgia

Good morning, folks!

How is everybody?? Life has been busy to say the least. The wife is back at work and I started a new job that is keeping me out on the road.

I have been doing a few runs/swims the last few weeks as I figure out my new routine. I swam monday and rode yesterday- should fit in a run today. This will be my first 3 day training effort since the twins were born. I sure miss training.

Glad some folks are still checking in. Matt, good to hear from you. Nicole, glad you are better. JJ, never heard of that bike.

2012-10-24 7:57 AM

User image

Hey Ashley! Hope the new job is to your liking, and make sure you get lots of time with those little ones! Happy to hear you're feeling better Nicole!

Another day in the pool and I got in a run yesterday, so getting back into the swing. I'm a little shocked that my swim didn't drop off more (don't misinterpret that! after a month out of the water it definitely dropped!)

So that brings up my question, what do you all suggest for winter/off season training? I have a 10K I can do coming up 11/22 but after that things get very few and far between for about 2-3 months in the mid atlantic. What are good goals to set? I'm just trying to figure out how to stay focused during the downtime and avoid getting in another rut.

Thanks!

-Matt

2012-10-27 4:21 PM

User image

Hi all,

My name is Jeff and I am an Tri junky who got lost. Watching Kona on TV and I just registered for the lottery - I am freaking crazy.

I was so addicted to the training, the racing and the thrill of competition.  I fell off the wagon due to work and life issues.

Great results all around.

Ashley - congrats on the family members and the new job.

Hope all are well and I was in the pool yesterday and road in the nice new england folliage this am.

Jeff

2012-10-29 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran

Hey guys watched KONA last night (I had it DVR'd) ... that stuff really gets me fired up ...

Did a 5k yesterday - first time in a year and I set a PR (woohoo) ...

Here is a race report if anyone wants to read it:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=466245&posts=2#M4473480

I am still drafting my 2013 season and goals and will share - perhaps today since I am trapped inside due to the Hurricane.  Glad to see we still have guys popping in here and keeping motivated.

2012-10-31 7:26 AM

User image

Nice race Paul! Congrats! My favorite part is your sons complaining their race was too short. NICE!

Alright East Coast Tri junkies? Were any of you as crazy as me? That's right, I did get my butt out there in the middle of Sandy to get in a 5 mile run. Felt good to be out running! The depressing point was my pace wasn't that far off normal (30 seconds extra for each mile) with those winds and the rain. Oh well, the old plow horse will just keep on keeping on! Cross that off the bucket list, "Run 5 miles in a hurricane".

On another note, happy to report week 2 back in the pool today and I was able to get my distance back up to a mile already. I'm very happy with that. Will keep focusing on distance again this week and then start getting back into drills next.

How did everyone fare with the storm? Hope everyone is fine and had minimal issues.

-Matt

2012-11-02 6:42 AM
in reply to: #4476331

User image

Veteran
Brunswick, Georgia

WOOO!!!

Good morning! I am working on my new routine and still trying to get my workouts in. It is hard to get up at 5 or 5:30 when you are up several times a night with the babies. I admit, I can't get up!

I have some news to share- I ordered my trainer. It will be here next week and I am super pumped! I ordered the cycleops fluid 2. I can't wait to get on it and get my ride on! My biking pace was pathetic this year. I am going to work on it this winter and come out firing for 2013!

I wish Scott was still here. I could use some trainer advice. Troy could be helpful as well. Paul, you have a trainer don't you? Don't I remember your wife getting mad at all the sweat on the floor?? My trainer comes with a DVD but I have no idea what is on it.

Gonna try and hit the road today for a ride since it will be in the low 50s. What is on tap this weekend?

2012-11-05 2:08 PM

User image

Hey Ash!

Good luck with the schedule, those babies definitely make it tough. I remember those days and I wasn't training just being fat and lazy and it was brutal!

I'm looking to get a trainer this winter as well. I'll be anxious to see how it works out for you? I haven't committed to anything yet and I'm still looking around.

I got in a nice 26 mile ride yesterday, but I'm fighting a sinus cold, so it was more challenging than I would've liked. It was a new route with some friends that live about 20 minutes away so I was happy.

I was looking to sign up for a 10K the Sunday prior to Thanksgiving but it surprisingly sold out. So now it looks like I'm just going to hit up the local 5K Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning proper. There's another 5K a few days after that, so I may hit up that one as well. We shall see.

Get your sleep when you can!

-Matt

2012-11-09 11:57 AM

User image

Anyone checking in anymore? What ya got planned for the weekend? I'm just getting over a cold so I'm hoping for a nice 20mile/10K brick on Sunday. We shall see if it works out.

-Matt

2012-11-10 6:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

I still check in. I just bought a trainer and finally got my bike set up on it. I have some equipment coming for my Garmin today and then I plan to start Jorge's winter bike plan. Otherwise, I haven't been doing a lot. Still dealing with the IT band thing and trying to find a balance with it. I had a "race" last weekend. It was a bike and hike charity event. I fell on the way back down the mountain which further aggrevated things so I took the week off from running. But it was also partially because I was busy with other things.

Hope everyone is well! Glad you weathered the storm ok, Matt.

2012-11-11 6:23 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Wasup everyone!

I have decided to do IM 70.3 in Galveston this upcoming May. I know I can be ready by then but I went ahead and hired a coach a few weeks ago. Wow is all I can say. Already such a difference it has made. Looking forward to see how I progress over the next few months

2012-11-11 6:46 PM

User image

???WOW JJ! That's incredible! You went from your first tri on 9/15 to your first 70.3 8 months later! Very impressive. Best of luck to you and glad to hear the coach is helping. Keep us posted!

I got stood up for my brick today so I decided to do just an 8 mile run instead. Gotta get my distance back up and I've been slacking off since the Army Ten Miler.

Happy training everyone!

-Matt

2012-11-12 5:50 AM
in reply to: #4494096

User image

Veteran
Brunswick, Georgia

Hey everyone that is left!

Things have finally settled down here at the Hutson house and we have a good routine going. I am starting to do my workouts in the morning because it is the only time everyone is asleep!

My trainer came last week and I went for a short session Friday afternoon. I got it off ebay for a very good price. Went with the cycleops fluid 2 for extra quietness. I am trying to learn how to fine tune it so it reduces noise/vibration. I don't have anything to measure my distance. I think I need to move my cateye sensor to the back tire instead of my front.

I'm going to hit the pool today- trainer in the morning- run on wednesday. I'm shaking the rust of my workouts. Still running very slow. I hope to be back up to full speed soon.

JJ- way to go on the coach and the HIM! I am going to try and tackle several Olympics this summer before I attempt a HIM. I also want a new bike and that is a Christmas 2013 goal.

Nicole, glad you got a trainer. I am missing scott and troy. I have a million questions for them about trainers, data, etc. What will you be using to measure your power/results?

2012-11-13 2:24 AM

Morning

Have been absent for a while, after completing a half marathon I kinda lost the enthusiasm for training, but am slowly getting it back!!

Glad to see more people posting, and am interested to read about people getting coaches. Am seriously thinking of upping the ante next year (my big 40 year) and doing a 70:3 Ironman. When you guys have got coaches, how have you got in touch with them, is it through word of mouth or through a local Tri club. Want to speak to a coach about plans and maybe seek out some swimming coaching.

Your thoughts are appreciated

Gareth

2012-11-13 7:20 PM

User image

Bangkok

Well my schedule on this side of  the world seems to conflict with most of you whose seasons are almost over. My race is now 10 days away. I'm running my first tri, the Laguna Phuket Triathlon in Phuket, Thailand. I'm not as ready as I should be, but I am ready enough to finish. I have no idea what my time will be but I hope to break 4 hours (1.8km open water swim, 55km bike, 12km run).

I'll report back after the race. Hope everyone is doing well.

Andy

2012-11-14 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran

Hurricane threw me for a loop ... need to get somewhat back on track.

As far as trainers go I have the Kurt Kinetic Road ... I use it a minimum of 3 hours a week - so far my record week was 11 hours.   I want a power meter bad.

My coaching will start in January - still undecided whom I will hire as a coach but I do have it narrowed down to 2 guys.  Seems the local races  5 and 10ks I had scheduled have all been cancelled on account of the hurricane damage - I was hoping to use these to stay inspired.

Hope all are well - I will post a proposed race/event schedule soon (subject to change if my coach hates it).

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott's Mentor Group-Closed for training. Rss Feed  

of 47