Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-02-18 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
I prefer hills to flat.  I lived in OKC for 3 years where it's really flat and constantly windy (10mph winds on a calm day) and now live in NE Oklahoma where it's hilly and I definitely like the latter.  With hills, you can see the end.  You know when you get to the top, you're done till the next hill.  If you're riding into the wind, it's not going to stop till you turn around.  That used to wear on me. 

I don't take a break after my sprints.  For most people a sprint lasts 1:00-1:30 which is about the same as some of your workouts, although you are pushing yourself harder during the race. 

If I had money to splurge, I'd buy an underwater MP3 player.  I listen to music as much as I can, every time I run and most times on the bike.  Music keeps me motivated.  I'll put my right earbud in when I ride outside so I can hear a car coming on the left.  If you haven't been riding long, I wouldn't recommend doing that.  I've been riding for awhile.  A guy that rides in the local group ride has a mini-speaker mounted on his handlebars that he can plug his MP3 player into.

Think I responded to most of the topics, lol.  Holy cow, don't look for one day and I'm two pages behind.  My first mentor group got to 16 pages total. 

2011-02-18 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3361256

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
robburkett - 2011-02-18 8:29 AM So - does it make me a bad person that I googled the other 10 guys who are in the indoor tri with me on Sunday to see if they've got race results out there?  I wanted to see who I was up against beside myself.

I will come do the race so atleast you will crush 1 person.  :-)    You will do just fine!!

I love racing my friends it give us something to BS about until the next race.  I have a smarta$$ doing his first IM in WI and he says he will be waiting at the line with a cheese burger for me.. Now thats motivation..   Last year a local guy said he was going to be the fastest in town and had a big DNF, I am sure to remind him everytime I see him.   lol  

Edited by razorxp 2011-02-18 12:20 PM
2011-02-18 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3361871

User image

Veteran
Mass.
I wish I had friends that raced to.  I don't really care if I win or lose, it's just fun to bullsh#t about it after.  The only thing I could convince people to do was the Tough Mudder, and they weren't ready.  Hopefully they can be a little faster this time.

I was finally able to do the whole swim workout without having to stop between sets!!  My coach tole me yesterday that I swim to tense and that's what's causing me to get tired faster.  So I really tried to relax this time, and I was able to do it!  Now I have to start building volume!
2011-02-18 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3361932

User image

Veteran
kdevarenne - 2011-02-18 12:46 PM I wish I had friends that raced to.  I don't really care if I win or lose, it's just fun to bullsh#t about it after.  The only thing I could convince people to do was the Tough Mudder, and they weren't ready.  Hopefully they can be a little faster this time.

I was finally able to do the whole swim workout without having to stop between sets!!  My coach tole me yesterday that I swim to tense and that's what's causing me to get tired faster.  So I really tried to relax this time, and I was able to do it!  Now I have to start building volume!

i, too, wish i had friends that wanted to get serious about triathlons.  i have friends that do 1 or 2 sprints a year but dont want to train hard.  i would sign up for an ironman if i had someone to train with.  i know it sounds pathetic but i know i will push myself harder training with someone with the same goals as me. 

how was the tough mudder?  they advertise it as the toughest challenge out there.
2011-02-18 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3361954

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
gabrelsj - 2011-02-18 1:00 PM
kdevarenne - 2011-02-18 12:46 PM I wish I had friends that raced to.  I don't really care if I win or lose, it's just fun to bullsh#t about it after.  The only thing I could convince people to do was the Tough Mudder, and they weren't ready.  Hopefully they can be a little faster this time.

i, too, wish i had friends that wanted to get serious about triathlons.  i have friends that do 1 or 2 sprints a year but dont want to train hard.  i would sign up for an ironman if i had someone to train with.  i know it sounds pathetic but i know i will push myself harder training with someone with the same goals as me. 

how was the tough mudder?  they advertise it as the toughest challenge out there.

My fiance is a training buddy from a general sense, but she's nowhere near ready to put the hours in that it would take.  It's not a value judgement, just a fact of how things go.

I'm with the both of you.  It would really be great to have friends who enjoy kicking their own azzes.
2011-02-18 1:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I actually feel very blessed when it comes to training buddies. I have 2 girls that kick my a$$. They are much faster and stronger than me, when I'm with them, I HAVE to train harder. It's great motivation. Last year I was with a friend that I love spending time with, but she would half a$$ the training and mine would suffer as a result. Thankfully, one of the girls I'm with now wanted to do the same 1/2 iron as me too. She's one of those people you say 'hey, fancy doing this?' and her answer is nearly always "sure!".Have those without training buddies looked into a local tri club?

2011-02-18 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3361800

User image

Expert
That is crazy that you wear them biking - haha  I have had at least two instances where headphones almost or saved me from getting killed.  One was a few years ago on a run where I was crossing at an intersection and a lady on the phone made a right hand turn and never saw me.  I never heard her so two more steps and I would have been a hood ornament.

The other happened last year on a country road.  I always run on oncoming side of road and there must have been a truck coming up behind me.  Well some A-hole decided to pass thet truck and came into my lane.  I was not wearing headphones and luckily heard something, even though I only had about 1 second to respond - but this guy passed me going about 80 mph and missed me by about 6 inches.  I am sure that if I had headphones I wouldn't of had that one second to just slide over inches.  Ever since then I very rarely wear them.  I would never even attempt them on a bike.

I guess in the water nothing is gonna pass hit you at 80 mph unless you run into a boat or something-haha

I figure you can't wear them in races so I have to get used to listening to myself.Laughing

cspreiter - 2011-02-18 11:54 AM I prefer hills to flat.  I lived in OKC for 3 years where it's really flat and constantly windy (10mph winds on a calm day) and now live in NE Oklahoma where it's hilly and I definitely like the latter.  With hills, you can see the end.  You know when you get to the top, you're done till the next hill.  If you're riding into the wind, it's not going to stop till you turn around.  That used to wear on me. 

I don't take a break after my sprints.  For most people a sprint lasts 1:00-1:30 which is about the same as some of your workouts, although you are pushing yourself harder during the race. 

If I had money to splurge, I'd buy an underwater MP3 player.  I listen to music as much as I can, every time I run and most times on the bike.  Music keeps me motivated.  I'll put my right earbud in when I ride outside so I can hear a car coming on the left.  If you haven't been riding long, I wouldn't recommend doing that.  I've been riding for awhile.  A guy that rides in the local group ride has a mini-speaker mounted on his handlebars that he can plug his MP3 player into.

Think I responded to most of the topics, lol.  Holy cow, don't look for one day and I'm two pages behind.  My first mentor group got to 16 pages total. 
2011-02-18 1:31 PM

User image

Expert
I got my best friend into this year.  We don't train together but will be doing a couple races together this season.  Looking forward to it.
2011-02-18 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3361800

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
cspreiter - 2011-02-18 12:54 PM I prefer hills to flat.  I lived in OKC for 3 years where it's really flat and constantly windy (10mph winds on a calm day) and now live in NE Oklahoma where it's hilly and I definitely like the latter.  With hills, you can see the end.  You know when you get to the top, you're done till the next hill.  If you're riding into the wind, it's not going to stop till you turn around.  That used to wear on me. 

Caleb don't say that too loud about biking with any type of music, some will crucify you for it.  I get lectured every ride I do about my phone/headphone.  I tend to keep the volume low and in one ear also.
2011-02-18 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Deb are you doing your race on Sunday???? If so how do you feel?
2011-02-18 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
Any of you guys use Twitter?  There is a ton of info out there.  I have been using it for about 1 year now and have found some great articles.

If you want to check out.

http://www.twitter.com/cool_running
http://www.twitter.com/RunNow
http://www.twitter.com/chrislieto
http://www.twitter.com/bartyasso

Bunch of other stuff out there if you look around.

2011-02-18 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3362053

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I am indeed! I feel horrified and excited at the same time :-) there was a time when I couldn't run half a mile without needing an O2 canister, so this is a great goal for me to reach.
razorxp - 2011-02-18 2:48 PMDeb are you doing your race on Sunday???? If so how do you feel?
2011-02-18 9:26 PM
in reply to: #3362355

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-18 5:52 PM I am indeed! I feel horrified and excited at the same time :-) there was a time when I couldn't run half a mile without needing an O2 canister, so this is a great goal for me to reach.
razorxp - 2011-02-18 2:48 PMDeb are you doing your race on Sunday???? If so how do you feel?

You will do great! Just have fun.  Please update us as soon as possible.  
2011-02-18 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3361954

User image

Veteran
Mass.
gabrelsj - 2011-02-18 2:00 PM

I did Tough Mudder New Jersey. It was 12 miles, 19 obstacles, so just distance wise it was pretty tough. It's like anything else, if you really train and get ready for it, you can do it without to much problem (which my friends didn't do). We started together and finished together. It was fun though because it was different with all the obstacles thrown in there. Got bloodied and bruised, but I'm doing the New England one in May! If your looking for something different it's for you.
2011-02-18 9:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Mass.
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-18 5:52 PMI am indeed! I feel horrified and excited at the same time :-) there was a time when I couldn't run half a mile without needing an O2 canister, so this is a great goal for me to reach.
. Good luck!!! You've got to let is know how it went!! I'm sure I'm not the only here who'll be thinking of you on Sunday!! I thought it was on Sunday the 27th though?
2011-02-18 9:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Thanks for the luck wishes. I may need them lol

"thought it was the 27th"......I do have another one next weekend, but that's just a local series. 3 races for 3 weeks. 3, 4 and 5 miles finishing the week before St. Paddies day.?? ??I? ?d?i?d? ?t?h?e? ?s?e?r?i?e?s? ?l?a?s?t? ?y?e?a?r? ?t?o?o??.? ??h?o?p?e?f?u?l?l?y? ??I? ?w?i?l?l? ?h???a?v?e? ?b?e?t?t?e?r? ?t?i?m?e?s? ?t?h?i?s? ?y?e?a?r? ?Laughing?
?

2011-02-19 8:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Good luck to everyone racing this weekend. 

Congrats on the mudder thing.  Sounds like an adventure trail run?  Fun.

I nearly stopped using ear buds at all on the run and never on the bike. I stopped  nearly completely on the run when I realized that rules are no players in races figured I needed to get used to not using them and being alone with my thoughts during a race...training for positive thinking ...Also a safety thing.   The bike?  I've been brushed by a car and had another reach out and push me with a hand on a viaduct.  I prefer to know where the damn things are.

Hard tempo ride on the trainer for 2.5 hours and an hour brick run today. 

Have a good weekend of workouts and races.
2011-02-19 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3362901

User image

Veteran
Mass.
IceManScott - 2011-02-19 9:56 AM Good luck to everyone racing this weekend. 

I nearly stopped using ear buds at all on the run and never on the bike. I stopped  nearly completely on the run when I realized that rules are no players in races figured I needed to get used to not using them and being alone with my thoughts during a race...training for positive thinking ...Also a safety thing.   The bike?  I've been brushed by a car and had another reach out and push me with a hand on a viaduct.  I prefer to know where the damn things are.

That's probably the best way te explain the Tough Mudder.

That;s scary that someone actually pushed you!!

Deb - So what your pre-race routine today?
2011-02-19 9:51 AM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-18 4:52 PM I am indeed! I feel horrified and excited at the same time :-) there was a time when I couldn't run half a mile without needing an O2 canister, so this is a great goal for me to reach.

Good luck on your run.  Remember to have fun.
2011-02-19 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3362901

User image

Veteran
IceManScott - 2011-02-19 8:56 AM Good luck to everyone racing this weekend. 

i cant believe people do something like try to push you.  i dont handle things like that very well.  where is the best place to carry a handgun while biking?
2011-02-19 7:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
OMG Scott - I would seriously mount a bazooka to my bike. That's unbelieveable!

I really don't have a set pre race routine, I have been taking it easy, and cleaned my kitchen from top to bottom. I think I am anxious lol - I hate cleaning.

I went to pick up my numebr and shirt today and was almost blown away. The winds are 25- 30 mph with 40 mph gusts, expected to stay that way through the day tomorrow. Should be 'fun' we are running right on the shore so will feel every gust. Bbbrrr

2011-02-19 7:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Keith - I looked up the NE tougher mudder..... are you completely mad??? lol

haha JK, i'm doing a 'girly' version in May, the 'Hoppin mad mud run'. It's not nearly as crazy as the TM though. I wanted to do the Warrior dash last year, but it didn't fit the schedule
2011-02-19 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3363362

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

i cant believe people do something like try to push you.  i dont handle things like that very well.  where is the best place to carry a handgun while biking?

I carry in a fanny pack or on the bike.  Also nice that when I do group rides there are 2 cops.  Our big problem is people that try to hit you with their mirrors or throw stuff out the window at you.  for dogs I always have mace on my bike too, helps for mello humans also.

Edited by razorxp 2011-02-19 8:44 PM
2011-02-19 8:43 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Deb good luck tomorrow..

I think that this cold has finally passed, slept till noon today then came downstairs and slept on the couch all day.  Even stayed home when some good friends were going out.  Hope to do my 1st workout in a over a week tomorrow.  Real bummed that Tahoe has over 7.5' of snow since we left.  Thinking about flying back out there if my friend can get the time off work.

2011-02-20 1:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
The indoor tri is in the books.  Posted to my training log and I think I have the numbers right so...

Swim 550yds in 10 min
Bike 14.6 miles(spin bike) in 30 minutes
Run 2.48 miles(treadmill) in 20 minutes

Had to stop a couple of times to fix my goggles.  I think I should have worn a swim cap in some of my training as it was required for the race.  I normally feel really strong on the spin bike but it just wasn't there today.  Decided that I could throw it down during the run and I am kinda pleased with the outcome.

Edited by robburkett 2011-02-20 1:46 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76