of 22

2009-01-06 7:12 PM
in reply to: #1889376

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Amschrod's Group - FULL
SpokaneJo - 2009-01-06 12:16 PM

Hi Gang,

I hope you're all doing well. We're still getting record snow here, so I'm gettting in some swimming and shoveling workouts. (I really hate stationary bikes and treadmills). My kiddo is sick today, so I'll do some weights and PT at home (plus more shoveling).

Looks like my workout for tomorrow is going to be shoveling as well, but I will also try to get some time on the trainer.

Kelly, I love the blog! Keep up the great work!

Yes, it looks good, doesn't it?

Anthony

2009-01-06 7:14 PM
in reply to: #1890746

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2009-01-06 7:25 PM

Well the injured toe let me do 25 mins on the bike trainer this morning. If it looks better I will think about a swim tomorrow. The only problem I have with swimming is the pool I use uses salt as a cleanser not chlorine - lovely for keeping your skin from smelling like bleach but also great at finding any little cut and stinging like you wouldn't believe.

That sounds interesting, because the chlorine is hard on my hair even with a swim cap, but stinging cuts is not at all good.

Anthony
2009-01-06 7:18 PM
in reply to: #1890761

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2009-01-06 7:30 PM

I would welcome opinions on this road bike. As you may know I don't have one of my own and I can't get enough cash together to afford the orbea that I have on loan but I have seen this on bikes direct and it is is my price range

I am no expert on bikes, but I have heard a lot of BTer's have been happy with their Motobecanes. I would just also check with your local bike shops. You might be able to find a good deal on older models, especially at this time and also unfortunately with retail sales being the way they are. Best of luck!

Anthony

2009-01-06 7:48 PM
in reply to: #1856717

User image

Wilmington NC

Hey everyone!

My new bike (Motobecane Gigi Pro) arrived today- I am soooo excited.  My husband put it together while I was entertaining a friend who popped in.  I took it for a quick spin around the parking lot across the street- so far so good!!  I felt really comfortable on it, but then again it was only a few minutes.   I got it from bikesdirect.com and have been very pleased with the service.  It took 6 days to get here- probably because of the holiday last week.  Great packaging, no damage.  My husband said the rear wheel was not true but he fixed that without too much trouble.  I think I got a lot of bike for my money.  It weighs just under 22 pounds.  So far I would recommend bikesdirect.com, you get lots for a little and its brand new.  I was very hesitant about it at first, especially since I didnt get to ride it.  I think if you know what size fits and is comfortable, you should have no problems at all.  I will see what the bike snobs have to say on my ride on sat am.  My trainer from my old gym works at a bike shop and when I told her what I got and from where she didnt cringe and tell me I was a bad person or anything.  She said they would be happy to help me put it together or adjust it as needed.  I will continue buying some things from the LBS just to maintain a good relationship should I need something major.

Good luck with your bike purchase!

Paula

2009-01-06 9:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

Paula, when do we get to see it??   

My bike came today too!!  It's still in the box, because I'm going to have to take it to the bike store and have them put it together.  Way too many parts for me or my husband.  As soon as I get it built and home I will post pics.

I bought mine from SBR.  Ordered it Saturday and it came today.  And I got a fantastic deal since it's an '08.  Julian, you might check there as well.  Call them and the prices might be even cheaper.  I also got them to throw in free shipping.

Anthony, yes I am a flutist in my non-tri life, and I'm super busy right now with a lot of concerts coming up.  You might want to check out the J.S. Bach flute sonatas for your office.  Very pretty (although, in all honesty, I'm not paying attention to the music when I'm at the dentist.)

Have a great night!

2009-01-07 12:54 AM
in reply to: #1891106

User image

Thanks for the advice. I got a very big nod approval from the dear lady wife so bikes direct it will be for me

Hey I'm getting excited about this

J

2009-01-07 7:35 AM
in reply to: #1890917

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2009-01-06 8:48 PM

Hey everyone!

My new bike (Motobecane Gigi Pro) arrived today- I am soooo excited.  My husband put it together while I was entertaining a friend who popped in.  I took it for a quick spin around the parking lot across the street- so far so good!!  I felt really comfortable on it, but then again it was only a few minutes.   I got it from bikesdirect.com and have been very pleased with the service.  It took 6 days to get here- probably because of the holiday last week.  Great packaging, no damage.  My husband said the rear wheel was not true but he fixed that without too much trouble.  I think I got a lot of bike for my money.  It weighs just under 22 pounds.  So far I would recommend bikesdirect.com, you get lots for a little and its brand new.  I was very hesitant about it at first, especially since I didnt get to ride it.  I think if you know what size fits and is comfortable, you should have no problems at all.  I will see what the bike snobs have to say on my ride on sat am.  My trainer from my old gym works at a bike shop and when I told her what I got and from where she didnt cringe and tell me I was a bad person or anything.  She said they would be happy to help me put it together or adjust it as needed.  I will continue buying some things from the LBS just to maintain a good relationship should I need something major.

Congratulations! That is a nice looking bike wih some great components. Now, get out there and ride

Anthony

2009-01-07 7:47 AM
in reply to: #1891106

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2009-01-06 10:16 PM

Paula, when do we get to see it??   

My bike came today too!!  It's still in the box, because I'm going to have to take it to the bike store and have them put it together.  Way too many parts for me or my husband.  As soon as I get it built and home I will post pics.

Congratulations to you, too! Yes, we need pics!

I bought mine from SBR.  Ordered it Saturday and it came today.  And I got a fantastic deal since it's an '08.  Julian, you might check there as well.  Call them and the prices might be even cheaper.  I also got them to throw in free shipping.

There are definitely some good deals out there.

Anthony, yes I am a flutist in my non-tri life, and I'm super busy right now with a lot of concerts coming up.  You might want to check out the J.S. Bach flute sonatas for your office.  Very pretty (although, in all honesty, I'm not paying attention to the music when I'm at the dentist.)

I will check out some Bach this evening, thanks for the suggestion. My wife thinks it's weird that I mix popular and classical music, but believe it or not I get compliments on the music almost every day.

Anthony

2009-01-07 7:52 AM
in reply to: #1891326

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2009-01-07 1:54 AM

Thanks for the advice. I got a very big nod approval from the dear lady wife so bikes direct it will be for me

Very nice of your wife, and best of luck to you. I'm getting excited just thinking about you guys getting new bikes.

Any ideas on how to get my wife to OK a new bike? I have a road bike and a tri bike, but I think I would like a mountain bike because those Xterra tris look like a lot of fun. I think she would kick me out of the house if I brought a new bike home

Anthony

2009-01-07 7:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

No workout for me today.  We had crappy weather (sleet, ice, rain...).  I just stayed home, but got a lot of other stuff done.  I could have gone to the pool, but I was so cold all day, the last thing I wanted to do was go jump in some water!

Have a great night!

2009-01-08 12:06 AM
in reply to: #1891547

User image

amschrod - 2009-01-07 5:52 AM

Very nice of your wife, and best of luck to you. I'm getting excited just thinking about you guys getting new bikes.

Any ideas on how to get my wife to OK a new bike? I have a road bike and a tri bike, but I think I would like a mountain bike because those Xterra tris look like a lot of fun. I think she would kick me out of the house if I brought a new bike home

Anthony

Erm the only thing I can think of is to trade the road bike for a cyclo cross bike, then you could still ride on the road but also get some off roading done too

I had to think all day to come up with that!

J

2009-01-08 12:07 AM
in reply to: #1893518

User image

kcovert1 - 2009-01-07 5:04 PM

No workout for me today.  We had crappy weather (sleet, ice, rain...).  I just stayed home, but got a lot of other stuff done.  I could have gone to the pool, but I was so cold all day, the last thing I wanted to do was go jump in some water!

Have a great night!

Yeah I need a swim too, maybe I will try a little harder than I have lately to get there tomorrow morning - pool is outdoor but heated and the weather forecast is clear and 41F

Maybe I should go to bed instead of typing on here then I may get up early enough!

J

2009-01-08 6:27 AM
in reply to: #1893518

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2009-01-07 8:04 PM

I know what you mean. Somehow it is unpleasant going to the pool in the Winter. I don't mind once I'm in the water, but getting ready and getting in, and especially getting out is no fun.

Anthony

2009-01-08 6:29 AM
in reply to: #1894107

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2009-01-08 1:06 AM
amschrod - 2009-01-07 5:52 AM

Anthony

Erm the only thing I can think of is to trade the road bike for a cyclo cross bike, then you could still ride on the road but also get some off roading done too

I had to think all day to come up with that!

J

I like your idea. That could possibly work!

Anthony

2009-01-08 6:34 AM
in reply to: #1894109

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2009-01-08 1:07 AM
kcovert1 - 2009-01-07 5:04 PM

Have a great night!

Yeah I need a swim too, maybe I will try a little harder than I have lately to get there tomorrow morning - pool is outdoor but heated and the weather forecast is clear and 41F

An outdoor heated pool sounds pretty good. Do many people use it? When I was in college, my parents lived in Southern Cal. a couple of years, and their condos had an outdoor heated pool. When I visited in January I was the only person I ever saw use the pool.

Maybe I should go to bed instead of typing on here then I may get up early enough!

J

The internet sure can suck you in sometimes!

Anthony

2009-01-08 7:02 AM

User image

Expert

We haven't heard from tsmith67 since page 1, but he does have the "Goofy Challenge" this weekend in Disney World, so if you would like to send him a good luck "inspire" here is a link to his blog: tsmith67

Anthony

2009-01-08 11:13 AM
in reply to: #1894207

User image

The pool gets a lot of use, but it is not ususally so crowded that I don't get a lane to myself

J

2009-01-08 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
I finally got to the pool this morning...and, yes, I'm still cold.  Of course, the 6 inches of snow might have something to do with that!
2009-01-08 7:41 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

The good :I had a decent tempo run this AM- only 4 miles and averaged only 2 seconds slower than my goal pace.

The Bad:It is really windy and possible rain for my tri groups first ride on sat

The UGLY:  Me and clipless peddles.  I got my shoes last night, put the cleat on tonight and my husband ( a very patient man) instructed me in proper technique of mounting, dismounting and peddling.  After falling twice and near tears of fustration, we realized that the left spring was too tight.  After a few minor adjustments, I think I have the idea of it. Please tell me that I am not the only moron to experience this problem.  Riding a bike should be easy!   I had instant flash backs of learning how to roll my kayak and failing- you are trapped and feel helpless.  At least the water is softer than concrete, But you can breathe the whole time!

I dont want to show up to the ride on saturday as "that Person"- you know the one with all the flashy new stuff but is ignorant to the sport- OH WAIT- that IS me!!

Hope everyone had a good friday and weekend work outs

Paula

2009-01-08 7:42 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

Oh did I mention that I am a moron

I meant clipless pedals- jezzsh, its been a long week!

P

2009-01-08 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

I have some amazing/interesting news.  I applied for a Trakkers sponsorship (a company that uses GPS for tracking during training and racing), and I just found out that I made it through the first selection phase (they picked 60 from 500)!!

Here's the thing...they are a sponsor for the Rev3 half-iron in CT the beginning of JUne and want me to race.  I was planning on the Musselman in July for my first HIM, now I don't know what to do???  I'm just not sure how much outdoor cycling I could get in before then.  They also said that I could be part of a relay.  I'm thinking maybe I should do a leg of a relay (not the cycle leg), and consider part of my training for Musselman.

What do you think?

2009-01-08 7:53 PM
in reply to: #1894961

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2009-01-08 12:13 PM

The pool gets a lot of use, but it is not ususally so crowded that I don't get a lane to myself

Sounds pretty good. I wish I could do my swimming outdoors in the summertime, but our town does not have a pool.

Anthony

2009-01-08 8:08 PM
in reply to: #1896308

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2009-01-08 8:41 PM

The good :I had a decent tempo run this AM- only 4 miles and averaged only 2 seconds slower than my goal pace.

Nice run! You really are a good runner

The Bad:It is really windy and possible rain for my tri groups first ride on sat

No matter where you are, weather at this time of year is pretty iffy. We just have to kinda go with the flow and do what we can

The UGLY:  Me and clipless peddles.  I got my shoes last night, put the cleat on tonight and my husband ( a very patient man) instructed me in proper technique of mounting, dismounting and peddling.  After falling twice and near tears of fustration, we realized that the left spring was too tight.  After a few minor adjustments, I think I have the idea of it. Please tell me that I am not the only moron to experience this problem.  Riding a bike should be easy!   I had instant flash backs of learning how to roll my kayak and failing- you are trapped and feel helpless.  At least the water is softer than concrete, But you can breathe the whole time!

Nope you are not the only moron; in fact you are not a moron at all If you do a forum search, you will find many threads about clipless mishaps. Here's one of mine. Shortly after I got clipless pedals for the first time, I fell in my own driveway right in front of my wife. Not so bad, right? Wrong! The reason I was in the driveway and she was watching me was because I was trying to explain to her why, after spending a fair amount of money on a bike, I had to spend even more money on stupid pedals that don't even look like bicycle pedals.

Also, your husband sounds like a very cool guy.

I dont want to show up to the ride on saturday as "that Person"- you know the one with all the flashy new stuff but is ignorant to the sport- OH WAIT- that IS me!!

You said it is a tri group, so I wouldn't worry about it. Most triathletes are extremely supportive. Good luck, relax, and HAVE FUN!

2009-01-08 8:18 PM
in reply to: #1896315

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2009-01-08 8:45 PM

I have some amazing/interesting news.  I applied for a Trakkers sponsorship (a company that uses GPS for tracking during training and racing), and I just found out that I made it through the first selection phase (they picked 60 from 500)!!

Sounds very interesting, and I think that Trakkers is a great idea. Good luck!

Here's the thing...they are a sponsor for the Rev3 half-iron in CT the beginning of JUne and want me to race.  I was planning on the Musselman in July for my first HIM, now I don't know what to do???  I'm just not sure how much outdoor cycling I could get in before then.  They also said that I could be part of a relay.  I'm thinking maybe I should do a leg of a relay (not the cycle leg), and consider part of my training for Musselman.

What do you think?

I would lean towards doing a relay. I considered the Rev3 race because it's actually only about an hour drive from me. The run and bike legs look pretty hilly and challenging so I picked Musselman instead. I don't mind the hills so much, but I am shooting for a HIM time this year that will qualify me for Survival of the Shawangunks. I just think that it might be a little hard for your first HIM, especially if you are not sure you can get the training miles on the bike in. That's my 2 cents and it might not be even worth that

Anthony

2009-01-08 8:33 PM
in reply to: #1895693

User image

Expert

kcovert1 - 2009-01-08 4:08 PM I finally got to the pool this morning...and, yes, I'm still cold.  Of course, the 6 inches of snow might have something to do with that!

OK, you have inspired me to swim! I WILL swim this Saturday morning. Now that I have written it down, I have to do it.

I don't want you to think that I don't like to swim. Once I am in the water I am fine. It's just having to drive to the Y, change in the locker room, walk to the pool wearing a tight bathing suit (I'm kind of shy), and then having to shower in the Y instead of my nice home shower. The swimming itself is great, it's just all the other stuff.

Anthony

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Amschrod's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22