BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marinus' gang - Thanks to a great group! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-01-26 12:55 PM
in reply to: #1864322

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Subject: RE: Marinus' Group - IMC 2009 and others - OPEN

Marinus,

My last half marathon was a 1:32 last July and I was basing my marathon training and goal time on that run.  I seem to have slowed down because I am having trouble holding under 7 minute miles on my Tempo's.  I need to find some flatter runs and some speed work to increase my turnover.  It is frustrating because I am feeling so strong on my longer workouts but slow on the shorter ones.  Any thoughts?

I am good with opening it up as well!

2009-01-27 1:36 PM
in reply to: #1929408

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
Subject: RE: Marinus' Group - IMC 2009 and others - OPEN

Chet: You obviously have the speed. The fact that you feel you are slowing down (relatively) on your tempo runs could be a number of things. It could be as simple as overtraining, or trying the tempo runs on days too close to other hard days, or your nutrition before your tempo run. Turnover is good to work on, but don't forget to work on strength too. Have you done any hill repeats? I do a series of weeks of speed work such as 1km repeats (start at 4 or 5, then increasing by 1 repeat each week over a series of 5 - 6 weeks), then I do a series of weeks of hill repeats with the same increase pattern. That gives me both speed and strength. Lastly, be careful on how you base your full time relative to your half time. They are very different events.

Good work, and keep us updated on how you're doing.

2009-01-27 7:38 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Subject: RE: Marinus' Group - OPEN for IMC 2009 participants

Thanks Marinus.  I think it could be all you suggested.  I have a good hill repeat run that I haven't done in a while that I will do this week.  Also, I am putting a lot of effort into running right now so I can REALLY work on the bike for B2B.   

My wife is doing the Disney World Princess Half Mary in March.  How was th course?  We are talking the family down to cheer her on.  (6 and a 4 year old.)  I think it will be some endurance training for me too.Laughing

Chet 

2009-01-28 11:29 AM
in reply to: #1932629

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
Subject: RE: Marinus' Group - OPEN for IMC 2009 participants

Chet;

We had an amazing time at the 2008 Disney World 'Goofy'. The course is nice and flat. The only hills are the overpasses. We didn't race it, but stopped and took a lot of photos at the attractions and with all the characters that were on the course. At the 2009 version just a few weeks ago some friends did it too, and they even stopped and took a ride on Expedition Everst during the event. Is that fun or what? I'm sure you'll all have a great time.

2009-01-29 4:00 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: RE: Marinus' Group - OPEN

Hey, can I play? I would really appreciate the support of a mentor team.

Story:  Did my first tri in 2005 and got hooked from there. I've finished a few marathons too. Last year I was ill and pretty much lost all my fitness and gained a bunch of weight. The year before, I broke my toe right before my first A race and two weeks before what was supposed to be my first HIM. Unfortunately, over the past few years, my training has been sporadic but I'm healthy and ready to make 2009 a fully productive year. I've had a great start so far!

Status: Single with dawg. I live in the prairie oasis of Regina, Saskatchewan where I am a civil engineer to pay the bills and an artist to calm my right brain.

Current Training: Slowly building up endurance so that I can start the HIM plan in March. I'm also doing the P90X strength workouts.

2009 Races:  A couple of sprints, a couple of Olympics, and Calgary 70.3.

Weightloss:  Lose and maintain goal weight - hopefully, by June. I'm already 10lbs down since Boxing Day. I'm counting calories and being sure that I get enough nutrients to fuel my workouts.

Goals:  Regain strength & endurance. Reach goal body weight. Maintain consistency. Focus on the positives. Enjoy the process.
2009-01-29 8:53 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Great to have aboard Marina.  I have a similar background as you, started in 05, second marathon coming in May and finished my first HIM last November.  I believe this is going to be a great year!

Edited by cbarnes1 2009-01-29 8:56 PM

2009-01-29 9:15 PM

User image

Hi - I'm a 57 year old female - I've been doing 5 & 10Ks for years and discoverd sprint Tris last year.  Not being a very accomplished swimmer the sprints seemed ideal - shorter time in the water - but I have even grown to love the swimming too!  Did 2 sprint Tris last year and will do both of them again this year (as well as a few 5 & 10ks).

Would love to join this group as there seems to be quite a variety here and I can certainly use all the help I can get in all the disciplines - but especially the swimming!  Looking forward to this & will be updating my training log so as to get as much input as I can.

Later - MW59Smile 

2009-01-30 11:21 AM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Welcome Marina and Mary. We seem to be on an "M" streak right now. Please feel free to offer up your thoughts, hopes, questions... anything at all. This is your forum, and the group is here to support you in your goals.

Marinus

2009-01-30 5:19 PM

User image

Abbotsford

Hi There,

I'd love to join the group!

STORY: I became interested in tri's about two years ago and didn't get serious until last year. I went out bought a bike, got back into running on my lunch hour at work and started training. I was able to race in two sprints last year and was seeing serious improvement in my times and abilities. After my first race my training was going extremely well and I was very happy with the direction of my preparation for the Vancouver Tri. But just before my second sprint I was hit by a car while riding to work. I have since learned that I have a torn meniscus in my left knee. the good thing is my doctor isn't all about surgery and has given me the green light to continue training. I have put in three 5 k's and I'm feeling pretty good and I am excited to get back on the horse when the weather starts to improve and commute back to work. 

FAMILY STATUS: I am married with two kids and one more on route, she/he will be arriving in June! It has been an amazing journey becoming a dad and it has been my number motivation in getting back in shape and using Tri's as the avenue to do it. I want to be the active and involved dad not the sitting in a lawn chair beer gut cheering kind...

CURRENT TRAINING: My Tri goal is to race in two Olympic's this year and gear up for a 1/2 in 2010.

This Years RACES:  My First TRI Harrison Mills BC Sprint (great fun but poorly run) and Vancouver MultiSport Merrel Sprint.

2009 RACES: 
I haven't nailed down my spring early summer OLY but I will be doing the Subaru Cultus Lake OLY. Vancouver Sun Run.

WEIGHTLOSS: Get my weight back down to around 175lbs. I am currently 185 and a little "soft".

Training - I plan on gearing up by running 5k during my lunch hour five days a week. I also will be hopping back into the pool twice a week (my weakest event) for around 2.5 hrs. 

My main goal for being part of a group is to learn better eating/nutritional habits and learn the best way to train. 

Thanks,

Gary

2009-01-30 8:26 PM
in reply to: #1938259

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Gary;

Welcome to the group. And congrats on the new baby-on-the-way! I'm sure the group can give you lots of ideas and support. We have a great diverse background within the group. And being local I might be able to offer you some special insight. First thought is the Cultas tri. It's a very cold water swim. You'll want a good full wet suit and cold water cap.

Welcome!

Marinus

2009-01-31 9:27 PM
in reply to: #1937498

User image

Thanks for the welcome Marinus!  Exciting news today - I've picked out my first real road bike!!  I'm working with The Down Tube - the ONLY place in Albany NY to buy one according to the Tri club I joined last year.  It's on order and should be in shortly - a Trek 1.2 WSD 50cm.  I've put no money down on this - nor do I need to until I actually take it home.  I'll be totally fitted to it & won't be ready to take it home til I road test it - which may have to wait a month or so due to our upstate NY weather. 

In the meantime, does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to this bike or any other?  My funds are limited - I'll be purchasing clipless shoes etc in addition to the bike - and would like to keep my cost under $1100. Since I know very little about road bikes I'd appreciate all input.  The 2 Tris I did last year were done with my husband's hybrid (the hills were a killer, and there were many) - by mile 16 my hamstrings were screaming & I still had 2+ miles to go (and then of course the run!).  That's when I decided a road bike was a must - but there are so many different options it's hard to know what's best.  I won't be using it for recreation as I have a hybrid for that - it'll just be for training and races. 

Thanks all and have a great night!

MW59Smile 

2009-01-31 11:09 PM
in reply to: #1939447

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
Mary; Congrats on the new bike! When my wife was looking to do her first Tri I bought her a very similar bike. She has the Trek 1500 WSD, which is almost identical to yours. I've had Treks myself for many years, and I've been very happy with them and the company support. You'll definitely want to get fitted right. And then once you've ridden for a while and had a chance to see what's comfortable and what's not, get it fitted again. You may want to consider an indoor trainer so you can get used to it while the weather is still too cold to ride outside. Our group had some discussions earlier on trainer types. You'll also need time to get used to clipping in & out. And yes, you will have a 99.9% chance of a foot fall. We all do sometime. Ride it for a while, get comfortable one quiet streets to start. And eventually you may want to consider clip on aero bars. But that will depend on your event desires and the courses you will be riding.

So feel free to ask the group any questions, from riding situations, bike parts, to riding clothes. There are NO silly questions.

Again.. Congrats!

Marinus

Edited by marinusw 2009-01-31 11:09 PM
2009-02-01 12:50 AM

User image

Calgary, Alberta

Hi Everyone,

I just have a question about aero bars.  What is the purpose for them (I'm assuming to be more aerodynamic?).  This summer I plan on only doing Sprint tris, maybe move up to an olympic one towards the end of the summer.  Would they benefit me any?

Thanks

2009-02-01 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

Smoore3,

Aerobars can add 1-2 mph to your bike split.  They are more beneficial the longer and flatter the course.  They will take some time getting used to the position and being able to increase your time staying in them.  Just my 2 cents.  I think they are worth it and good luck!

Happy Super Bowl Sunday everyone.  What is on tap?  Long run for me before the game so I can then enjoy the food!

2009-02-01 2:00 PM
in reply to: #1939556

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Not only do they make you more aerodynamic and therefore faster, but they also promote the use of your leg muscles in such a way that it helps save your running legs. But not every distance or course makes it beneficial to use them. It depends on how much you'll be in the aerobars. A very short or very hilly course will mean you'll probably spend less time on them. But if the course suits using aerobars, even clip-ons on a road bike, they are relatively cheap speed.

2009-02-01 6:17 PM
in reply to: #1939447

User image

Thanks for the bike input Marinus.  I'm glad to hear I'm headed in the right direction with the bike!  Sounds like a good plan to keep it on some quiet streets til I'm used to the clipless pedals & i'll definitely do that - the guy at the bike shop did indicate that a fall  could be expected from everyone at some point so better that I'm 'out of harms way' when I do it!

Have a great Super Bowl night - was that anthem dynamite or what?  Hudson did one of the best jobs I've ever heard on it.

Later -MW59Smile 

2009-02-01 11:42 PM
in reply to: #1938438

User image

Abbotsford

Marinus, Thanks for the welcome!! I have an older surf wetsuit that I used in my first two tri's and it worked but I get a decent amount of chaffing because of the fit. It's a little too "baggy" in the arms/chest but it works. Until I can afford the new one I'll keep wearing a rash guard.

I finally went out for my first ride yesterday since the accident. It was pretty good but I almost lost my lunch climbing a hill. averaged 22.3km/hr over the 12.5 km ride. It'll be a decent climb uphill but I'm looking forward to it. Anyone have any suggestions for indoor trainers. I was looking at the rock 'n roll but their around $450...a little too steep in price for this guy.

Thanks again. Just heading off to Boston on work...looking forward to learning as much as I can. 

G

2009-02-02 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1940596

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Gary;

Trainer choices normally come down to main 2 factors - cost and usage, and there are 2 main options - mag or fluid. You've already mentioned budget is a factor. Ask yourself how much you realistically think you'll be riding on your trainer. A fluid trainer will give you better feel and in my opinion is the better choice, but a mag trainer will save you $100 - $200 and more depending on how crazy you want to get, with something like a CompuTrainer. I have one mag and one fluid. My wife uses the fluid trainer and I use the mag (always the gentleman). I've been on the mag for 4 yrs now and it's OK. I'd suggest that you shop around a bit and see if you can find a fluid trainer in your budget range. You can sometimes find a good used one on sites like TriBC's web classified pages, Craig's List, etc. Since you're local, I can also recommend a few stores. And if you are a TriBC memeber, don't forget to ask for the normal member discount.

Happy travels.

Marinus

2009-02-03 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

I post a lot but I hate seeing us on the last pageSmile

My wife and I had our first race of the year, a 5k.  My wife knocked off a minute from her 5k time and ended up with 3rd out 61 in her age group!  She has had a tough time with injuries but has been running strong for about 7 months without issue.  Unfortunately we were unable to pick up her hardware because we had a Princess Birthday party to throw for my daughter.  It was a good start to the year!

2009-02-03 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1943108

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
Wow!  A podium finish. Well done to you both! How did you feel on your race?
2009-02-03 1:47 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Went well.  I was only 4 seconds off my PR so I am right where I should be.  I was a little concerned as you know about my tempo runs so this was a confidence booster.  I even had a descent long run the day after to top it off.  I can work on getting my mileageup now (only 9 months to B2B).  Is it normal to be nervous this far out?Laughing 

2009-02-03 7:46 PM
in reply to: #1943621

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
Good work Chet. Only 4 sec off a PB sounds like a successful run all right. Keep doing what you have been doing. And it's never too early to get nervous. It keeps us motivated. 
2009-02-04 7:42 AM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

That's awesome Chet!

Mary - Awesome! Who doesn't like getting new wheels? I totally second getting a bike fit. Even if you have to pay extra, having a pro get your measurements, watch you ride and make adjustments can make a huge differnce in biking comfort!

Anyway, we have some good weather ahead for some nice runs...it's been friggin cold. You BC kids don't know what you're missing!

I had to make a tough decision this week. I want to do a half iron race, but as I began to register for Calgary 70.3 the other day, I wondered what kind of experience it would be. Right now, my focus is on getting back to a lean weight as well as rebuild my fitness. I'm not sure that I'd be at a level where I would enjoy the half iron challenge. As well, since weight loss is major goal, I have been wondering where weight training would fit into a HIM training plan. Strength training is such a huge part of getting lean and burning fat, that it has got to be a priority for me through to the summer. Building muscle is more important than building endurance in the near term. I'll get to the Half Ironman and Ironman.  Just not this year.

Happy Wednesday!

2009-02-04 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1944748

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Hi Marina. I know what your winters are like. I lived in Moose Jaw & Portage la Prairie for a number of years. Ya, all the big time places! So I'll never complain about BC winters!

You do need to keep your training and racing goals real. But don't underestimate what you can accomplish either. You kow yourself better than anyone, and what's happening around you. But if the desire is there, I know you can do it!

2009-02-05 11:40 AM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
Subject: RE: Marinus' Group - Closed for now
How's everyone feeling? Got your weekend workouts planned? I'm just getting over a cold and managed my first workout (a spin) in about a week. Amazing how much you miss the workouts after just a few forced days off! Run/ride safe everyone!

Edited by marinusw 2009-02-05 11:41 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marinus' gang - Thanks to a great group! Rss Feed  

of 11