BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-04-14 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2082721

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
Subject: RE: Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training)

In college, all I had was my bed. Smile

Good morning, all.

2009-04-14 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2068561

Okay, after an hour on the phone with tech support, I am back

SteveyD - I think we have a Canadian in our midst, so you're not the only non-American.

To answer your swim question - butterfly kick is very different than regular freestyle (or backstroke) kicking - the kick for butterfly is also sometimes called a dolphin kick because you don't separate your legs - obviously, you do with freestyle. The idea to "kick from your waist" is an effort to keep newbie swimmers from kicking from their knees, almost like they were running. Have you ever played soccer? ("football" to you Brits) It's a similar mechanism - the kick comes from your hip (not your waist, really) - your knee is relaxed, so it will bend a bit, but you shouldn't be bending your knee to kick, if that makes any sense. Your ankles should also stay loose and relaxed - as you kick, the tops of your ankles/feet will push down. But the kicking movement should start with your hips, go through your thighs and down through the rest of your leg. If you want to see good kicking, watch any of the underwater footage of the Olympic swimmers.

The difference, however, between "swimmer" kicking and "triathlete swimmer" kicking is the intensity. As triathletes, we aren't sprinting out 100 meters - we need to save our legs a bit for the long distance, and for the bike/run ahead. So a triathlete should really use their kick as a means to stay afloat, not propel themselves through the water. An even flutter kick is more appropriate than the whipping sprinter kick. This is not to say however, that triathletes should not bother with kicking drills. If you do the drills right, your quads/hips should feel worked. A strong kick is useful in certain situations.

Make sense? Let me know if you want any more clarification.

2009-04-14 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2082820

steph94483 - 2009-04-14 9:31 AM

In college, all I had was my bed. Smile

Good morning, all.

Good morning!

What's on tap for everyone today? It's raining here, so bike drills will happen on the trainer. Then swim practice at 9 pm (so late! ).

2009-04-14 8:44 AM

User image

Regular
Hi all!  I could have some fun with the whole working on your bed in college thing, but I know this is a fairly G rated forum so I am keeping my jovial thoughts to myself.  I hope everyone has an awesome day!

I got my bike in this AM and some pilates.  My lofty goals for the day are to SURVIVE work (I am in a job that I would love to change) and then get to bed early tonight so I can get 7 plus hours of sleep tonight.  I am also going to conquer figuring out my new TECH 4O watch and get my strides programmed in for running and walking so I can start tracking some progress on it.  I got it as a gift and havent figured it out yet.  I will figure it out though, I am determined!

I am going to research the tri store in the area to see where I am going to go shopping this weekend.  I want to figure out what tri-suit I am going to buy and then what kind of bra I am going to have to find that will work with it.  I have learned a lot from reading everyone's posts about what to wear and not to wear, thanks for all the tips and info.  I promise to post all about what I find on my excursions, I have heard from another forum post on here (for the tri I am doing in June) that there are lots of great stores close to me.  YEAH!

Well good luck with training all!  And if you are going to work on your bed, at least make it fun!
2009-04-14 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2082853

User image

Regular
wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-14 8:43 AM

The difference, however, between "swimmer" kicking and "triathlete swimmer" kicking is the intensity. As triathletes, we aren't sprinting out 100 meters - we need to save our legs a bit for the long distance, and for the bike/run ahead. So a triathlete should really use their kick as a means to stay afloat, not propel themselves through the water. An even flutter kick is more appropriate than the whipping sprinter kick. This is not to say however, that triathletes should not bother with kicking drills. If you do the drills right, your quads/hips should feel worked. A strong kick is useful in certain situations.

I can maybe add to this, I was a distance swimmer in HS and college, we used what we called a two beat kick.  I got so good at it I sucked at sprinting, and still to this day I can't do a flutter kick.  its like my brain and arms don't work right when I kick faster than this.  It's kind of one long kick and one tiny one (like a heart beat) for each arm stroke, (I hope I am explaining properly) where as your right arm comes forward out of the water, you kick your left foot, then as your left arm comes forward out of the water you kick your right foot.  I will try to focus on how I do it when I swim Thursday and report back.  It definately saves your legs, in theory, for the last 50 or 100 yards/meters of your event so you can kick your way in for a strong finish, or for a tri, save it for the bike/run.  I hope this helps a little. I will definately try to explain better after I do it in the pool again Thursday.  I realize now its hard to explain.
2009-04-14 8:59 AM

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
I'm going to a yoga class tonight.

Have fun shopping, Amy.

2009-04-14 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2082904

amkaz - 2009-04-14 9:58 AM
wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-14 8:43 AM

I can maybe add to this, I was a distance swimmer in HS and college, we used what we called a two beat kick.  I got so good at it I sucked at sprinting, and still to this day I can't do a flutter kick.  its like my brain and arms don't work right when I kick faster than this.  It's kind of one long kick and one tiny one (like a heart beat) for each arm stroke, (I hope I am explaining properly) where as your right arm comes forward out of the water, you kick your left foot, then as your left arm comes forward out of the water you kick your right foot.  I will try to focus on how I do it when I swim Thursday and report back.  It definately saves your legs, in theory, for the last 50 or 100 yards/meters of your event so you can kick your way in for a strong finish, or for a tri, save it for the bike/run.  I hope this helps a little. I will definately try to explain better after I do it in the pool again Thursday.  I realize now its hard to explain.

Yes, exactly. 

2009-04-14 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2082857

amkaz - 2009-04-14 9:44 AM Hi all!  I could have some fun with the whole working on your bed in college thing, but I know this is a fairly G rated forum so I am keeping my jovial thoughts to myself.  I hope everyone has an awesome day!

I got my bike in this AM and some pilates.  My lofty goals for the day are to SURVIVE work (I am in a job that I would love to change) and then get to bed early tonight so I can get 7 plus hours of sleep tonight.  I am also going to conquer figuring out my new TECH 4O watch and get my strides programmed in for running and walking so I can start tracking some progress on it.  I got it as a gift and havent figured it out yet.  I will figure it out though, I am determined!

I am going to research the tri store in the area to see where I am going to go shopping this weekend.  I want to figure out what tri-suit I am going to buy and then what kind of bra I am going to have to find that will work with it.  I have learned a lot from reading everyone's posts about what to wear and not to wear, thanks for all the tips and info.  I promise to post all about what I find on my excursions, I have heard from another forum post on here (for the tri I am doing in June) that there are lots of great stores close to me.  YEAH!

Well good luck with training all!  And if you are going to work on your bed, at least make it fun!

hehe, I had lots of fun on beds in college too

On the tri-suits/tops - some of them have built in bras. Not sure how busty you are, though - some women feel like they need extra support, even with the built-in. Just try on a bunch and jump around in them A lot of women on my team love the Moving Comfort Fiona bra - apparently, it dries pretty quickly and supports well without lots of gross underwiring or anything. I even tried one on recently (our tri club uniforms are all "unisex", ie, men's clothes, so no built-in bra) and I thought it was pretty decent.

2009-04-14 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2082949

User image

Regular
wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-14 9:09 AM

On the tri-suits/tops - some of them have built in bras. Not sure how busty you are, though - some women feel like they need extra support, even with the built-in. Just try on a bunch and jump around in them A lot of women on my team love the Moving Comfort Fiona bra - apparently, it dries pretty quickly and supports well without lots of gross underwiring or anything. I even tried one on recently (our tri club uniforms are all "unisex", ie, men's clothes, so no built-in bra) and I thought it was pretty decent.

Thanks!
I know I have to plan a little ahead, these girls need support.  I can't imagine running in just the built in, bike NP, but not the run.  I figure if I start shopping now I can figure out what I need and just buy it in May when I am closer to the size I will be for the tri.  That way I get some practice in first.  As I shrink, they shrink, but the only shrink so far.  I will check out the Moving Comfort Fiona Bra.  Thanks for the tip!
2009-04-14 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Heh beds less fun when your about 70 miles away from your love interest on her birthday
All this talk of swimming i want to go to the pool but being easter holidays the pools apparnetly full of screaming kids and giant inflateables then theres swimming lessons on all evening.

I used to be a good swimmer, back in the days of sixth form and secondary school, (the equivalent to your high school is last 2 years of secondary and sixth form, so sixth form is your equivalent of junior and senior years, and secondary school is the 5 years before, basically about 5 odd years ago from where i am now :P) with breaststroke as my racing stroke. <insert witty breast stroke joke here when not concentrating on uni work>

I'm intrigued to open water swimming i've swam in the sea a bit but not really any distance, and can see this being quite interesting.

Damnit i want to swim. Its raining too so i dont fancy a run or bike, looks like a gym session today

2009-04-14 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
also i see what your saying about kicking now i think, i assumed it was more just dont do anything with legs at all as opposed to just keeping balance. I'll have to give it a go

2009-04-14 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
oh i thoguht about the breast stroke joke now but it involves helping you girls finding appropriately sized tri tops :P

<dodges slap>

Edited by SteveyD 2009-04-14 9:36 AM
2009-04-14 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2083053

SteveyD - 2009-04-14 10:36 AM oh i thoguht about the breast stroke joke now but it involves helping you girls finding appropriately sized tri tops :P

Yes, the breast stroke jokes never get old :-P

I "dated" a guy in college for a bit who was on the swim team (at his college, not mine) and his specialty was breaststroke, so naturally all of his fraternity buddies never let up with the endless jokes.

2009-04-14 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2082911

steph94483 - 2009-04-14 9:59 AM I'm going to a yoga class tonight.

Have fun shopping, Amy.

Fun! I meant to get up and do yoga this morning, but I was having a dream and the alarm went off and somehow in my dream, I decided to turn off the alarm and reset it for 7:30 instead (when I normally get up if I don't work out in the morning).

2009-04-14 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
yeah its a bit old and worn. I wasn't being slow btw i was just writing an essay on the advantage of using Netbeans IDE over its competitors ^^
lol
2009-04-14 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
Good morning everyone (afternoon Stevey). Had a rough night, as around 1:30 AM the smoke detectors went off in my house and we went through the motions of grabbing the kids and dogs and getting out of the house. Turned out to be a false alarm thankfully, but unfortunately, they continued to go off every 30 to 45 minutes for the rest of the morning. Just enough time in between to get the kids calmed down and start to doze off to sleep, then they go off again and scare the carp out of you.

Anyhow, hopefully I will be able to fix the problem today so I can get a good night's rest tonight. I also am going to be doing a bike/ run brick tonight as I didn't get my run in yesterday due to the weather.

2009-04-14 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2083202

JJackson07 - 2009-04-14 11:17 AM Good morning everyone (afternoon Stevey). Had a rough night, as around 1:30 AM the smoke detectors went off in my house and we went through the motions of grabbing the kids and dogs and getting out of the house. Turned out to be a false alarm thankfully, but unfortunately, they continued to go off every 30 to 45 minutes for the rest of the morning. Just enough time in between to get the kids calmed down and start to doze off to sleep, then they go off again and scare the carp out of you. Anyhow, hopefully I will be able to fix the problem today so I can get a good night's rest tonight. I also am going to be doing a bike/ run brick tonight as I didn't get my run in yesterday due to the weather.

Hey James - sorry to hear about the smoke detector!! Ours is super-sensitive and goes off if my roommate even opens the oven! So we have to put a towel over it while we're cooking - and then remember to take it off afterwards.

It's raining here today - no biking outside. It was drizzly for my run last night, which isn't bad. I need to get a rain jacket that is breathable for running (I don't own anything with a hood that is comfortable to run in), so I don't have to puss out if it's pouring. Slowly gathering the gear, season by season...

2009-04-14 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2083202

User image

JJackson07 - 2009-04-14 11:17 AM Good morning everyone (afternoon Stevey). Had a rough night, as around 1:30 AM the smoke detectors went off in my house and we went through the motions of grabbing the kids and dogs and getting out of the house. Turned out to be a false alarm thankfully, but unfortunately, they continued to go off every 30 to 45 minutes for the rest of the morning. Just enough time in between to get the kids calmed down and start to doze off to sleep, then they go off again and scare the carp out of you. Anyhow, hopefully I will be able to fix the problem today so I can get a good night's rest tonight. I also am going to be doing a bike/ run brick tonight as I didn't get my run in yesterday due to the weather.

Oh No!!  Sorry to hear about that - glad it was a false alarm! Can't imagine how tough that must have been with the whole family...  hope you get through your day well & get a really great sleep tonight!
2009-04-14 11:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
good morning to everyone. my morning was a 3 mile walk, 700yds in the pool and a 45 min strength training. it is nice to get back into my former routine. i am not a morning person, but for training it works just fine. once i get home it is baseball or practices, homework and just hoping to spend some quality time with family.
2009-04-14 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2083254

User image

Expert
Cambridge
kmbhoya2000 - 2009-04-14 4:32 PM

Oh No!!  Sorry to hear about that - glad it was a false alarm! Can't imagine how tough that must have been with the whole family...  hope you get through your day well & get a really great sleep tonight!

God i hate fire alarms going off a lot like that. when i was in halls i had a bit of a scare. it got to the extent they would go off somewhere in halls at least every other day, and it got to the stage where one night i slept through it and no one noticed
2009-04-14 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2083485

wplummer - 2009-04-14 12:44 PM good morning to everyone. my morning was a 3 mile walk, 700yds in the pool and a 45 min strength training. it is nice to get back into my former routine. i am not a morning person, but for training it works just fine. once i get home it is baseball or practices, homework and just hoping to spend some quality time with family.

Fantastic! I usually don't mind getting up for early-morning workouts, but it's just been cold for too long and now it's rainy all the time, and I don't feel like crawling out of bed. Once summer actually comes, it'll be better.

2009-04-14 1:04 PM

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
I can not drag myself out of bed early enough to work out. I have a husband and three cats that hold me down and won't let me out of bed until I'm already five minutes late.

Cuddos to those that have that kind of will power. I hope that when it warms up, it won't be so daunting to get out of my warm haven.
2009-04-14 1:06 PM
in reply to: #2083733

steph94483 - 2009-04-14 2:04 PM I can not drag myself out of bed early enough to work out. I have a husband and three cats that hold me down and won't let me out of bed until I'm already five minutes late.

Cuddos to those that have that kind of will power. I hope that when it warms up, it won't be so daunting to get out of my warm haven.

Eh, you can boot the cats out of your way The husband, maybe not so much - is he understanding of your training efforts?

2009-04-14 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2083733

User image

Regular
steph94483 - 2009-04-14 1:04 PM I can not drag myself out of bed early enough to work out. I have a husband and three cats that hold me down and won't let me out of bed until I'm already five minutes late.

LOL, that sounds CUTE!  I had to work hard at being able to get up in the AM.  I can't work out at night.  Maybe someday when I don't come home so emotionally drained I will change to a night workout person.  At my old job I could take 2-3 hours at lunch and work later, and then I worked out in the middle of the day, but I can't do that now.  So with the realization that I would either not work out, stay disgusted with myself and beat myself up each day for not having the energy to do it after work.  The first month was utter and complete hell.  This AM I woke up at 4 before my alarm.  Now I am past the utter hell part.  LOL. 

I give Kudos to all of you who can actually get yourself to do anything after 5 PM.  I battle the COUCH and TIVO demons then!  Trust me if I could get myself to work out a night I would be in bed until 6:30 AM everyday! 
2009-04-14 1:22 PM
in reply to: #2083742

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-14 1:06 PM

steph94483 - 2009-04-14 2:04 PM I can not drag myself out of bed early enough to work out. I have a husband and three cats that hold me down and won't let me out of bed until I'm already five minutes late.

Eh, you can boot the cats out of your way The husband, maybe not so much - is he understanding of your training efforts?

Yes. The husband is very supportive. He rides his bike to work nearly everyday and we have "gym" dates a couple times per week, so we are in this thing together.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  

of 29