BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2009-04-17 6:10 PM
in reply to: #2092610

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED

D001 - 2009-04-18 6:46 AM OK, I actually have some questions.... (And you thought all I ever did was pad my post count!) Running It feels like one leg hits the ground harder than the other. Does this mean that one leg is shorter than the other? And, if so, how do I know which one? Swimming What's the proper hand entry angle? I put my thumb in first, but I read something that said to put your pinky in first, as it engages the lats better. Most importantly --> Which method is easier on the shoulder? Biking How much of a bend should your leg have at the bottom of the pedal stroke? I know it's not supposed to be straight, but I feel like I'm constantly adjusting the seat, and I never get it quite right. OK, that's it for now. Back to post padding.

Hi Dee,

Thanks for filling in on all the BT stuff for me while I was sleeping!!!

To answer your questions:

Running: Most people have one leg slightly longer than the other...believe it or not the human body is not perfectly symmetrical!!! Its more likely, however, that one leg is less co ordinated than the other and you are just a bit out of balance!

When you are running just concentrate about landing softly with BOTH feet - it will take your mind off the whole icky running thing for a bit too. Try and get your feet landing not to far from under your body and work on rolling the legs over.

Do you count or something on one leg when you run? Sounds weird but if I start counting using one leg per count... I seem to start landing on that leg heavy... like Im trying to stamp out the beat (ok everyone probably thinks Im a loony now!)

Swimming: Im not sure how you would enter pinky first!  No way I ever had....right now Im sitting my bed in my PJs mimicing my stroke to check... its my thumb side down but probably more my pointer/middle finger that breaks the water closely followed by thumb.

The goal is to enter the water cleanly, extend your arm flat just under the surface so you can then pull water straight down. In your case you need to work on engaging your lats to take more pressure off your shoulder.

What you may want top try is making sure your hands are entering the water inline with your shoulder - too narow and you will be rocking and rolling, too wide and youll be straining your shoulder more fighting it. You should extend the arm in front then pull it straight down with a small bend in the elbw - engaging your lats to take some pressure off your shoulder.

If you have access to a gym or some stretch cords doing some straight arm pull downs will mimic the feel and isolate the lats for pulling which will give you the feel Im talking about!

Drills may help too by refining your stroke to be more sound mechanically so less ntensive on your shoulders if it is form adding extra stress to them

Cycling: YOu should have a small bend in the knee at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Too low it will put pressure on your knees, too high and you will pedal with your toes down badly. I would Sit down with your legs out in front of you, make a fist with your hand and slide it under your knee cap - the kind of bend that creates is a good place to start. Nothing wrong with a bit of tweaking... we all do it even when we shouldnt!

2009-04-17 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2092574

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Introduction in correct format

D001 - 2009-04-18 6:33 AM
JoeBWan - 2009-04-17 12:12 PM Important - After watching me overcome my fears and start doing triathlons last year, my wife has told me that she has dreams about doing a triathlon, too. She has been really struggling with weight loss, so I'm trying to help motivate her to get started and work slowly toward her goals.  It's tough, because she's hard on herself and doesn't think she can do it.  If I can get her to commit and join me, then all of the above goals will change because I will go at her pace to be there for her and help her enjoy this sport as much as I have learned to.

Any advice in this area would be appreciated, as well.

Does she log onto BT? There's a big weightloss forum here. (Click the Forums tab, up top, then scroll down to "Tri'ing for Weightloss."

Ok Im going to make an offer - if she wants to join us on this group she is more than welcome. It may help as many of us  are all trying to loose weight and many tryingto complete their first triathlon. Plus with you here it might not seem as scary as posting on the main boards for starters...

The thing with weight, in my experience, is it tends to get momentum and because for many people its linked to emotions (myself incuded) you can find yourself in a cycle where you go.. Im fat, I dont like myself, I feel bad, Im going to eat some chocolate (insert food of choice), why did I eat that, I feel sick etc etc etc Ive been there more times than I will ever admit... bad day at work? I want junk... Success at work? I want junk to celebrate... its such a very very hard cycle to get out of.

In terms ofweight loss there is no magic bullet - its improving your eating habits and burning off more energy. If you are starting from scratch then start small. What things are you currently eating that you could probably do without? What foods do you genuinely LOVE and want to use as your sometimes foods? Do you eat breakfast?

Some great goals to start with are:

- Drink more water

- Have a healthy breakfast every day as close to waking as possible: Cereal and milk, toast and a low fat spread with a glass of low fat milk etc

- When you are hungry and its not a meal time have a glass of water, if your are still hungry have some fruit (any fruit will do)

- If you can handle it clean out the cupboards so none of your trouble foods are in the house.. it can be hard but really helps if you have to make an effort to get junk.

- When you do want to buy a treat, get it in a single serve. Eat it! Enjoy it! Dont feel bad about it - you can STILL have your treats Just not at every meal!

- Switch all soda to diet soda, gradually switch diet soda to water or low calorie cordial

- Coffee is fine - just stick to  it black with low fat milk (no sugar) and try to avoid things like Starbucks, or keep it as a once a week treat

If she can slowly work towards some or all of these steps she will ALREADY start to feel better. I havent got into the nutritional nuts and bolts yet but you HAVE to start small or its all too much to handle!

The next step is exercise and if she wants to do a triathlon then swimming, cycling (on an exercise bike is fine) and walking is a great place to start. To begin with half an hour 4-5 times a week would be amazing. As long as she works up a sweat she will notice the difference.

I hope this helps a little - if she would like any more info just let me know. Also she is more than welcome to join the group officially or unofficially!

Cat

2009-04-17 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2091666

User image

Champion
Sydney

JoeBWan - 2009-04-18 2:12 AM

- Are you using a training plan? I really don't do the plan thing.  I just try to get all my workouts in as often as I can and call myself lucky to have the opportunity.  HOWEVER, I am considering joining the Team in Training to benefit the fight against Leukemia and Lymphoma, so I might be getting a plan and some coaching out of that membership.  If I do decide to join up, I will share my experiences 100%

- Anything else you need help with in relation to the sport -- 1- I need help being realistic and knowing what to expect with rehabbing my ankle and getting back to running.  2- I'm really wanting to work on my swimming.  I'm sure I'm fighting myself much more than I should be.  3 - Anyone have an extra 58cm road bike sitting around that they don't need?  :-)

-Goals/upcoming races -- I want to repeat all four sprints I did la\st year and improve on my times (which shouldn't be hard since I took SOOOO long on the swims).  Then, I want to try to complete an Olympic by mid-season and I'm dreaming about a Half-Ironman sometime in the fall (we'll see?)

Thanks for all the info - Im vSLOWLY getting a handle on everyone and their goals so I really apprciate all the time everyone is taking to tell me about themselves! THanks!

Just been reading your info so here goes:

1) Training plan: I dont have one as such either but I do have a routine I stick to most weeks. I also prioritse my workouts so my long ride is more important than fitting in a swm. And because runningis my weakness...getting that in3 times per week is crucial etc etc I also look at training plans and talk to others for ideas. Obviously going out and just training can work and if thats your goal awesome! But there are small thing like adding TT efforts to your ride or specific swim drills for stroke technique or sets in the pool to make things less monotonous and add some speed. Im sure Tnt may offer advice in that regard!

2) Your ankle... if its a minor sprain I would still suggest NO RUNNING for 1-2 weeks. On your first run attmpts stick to flat surfaces where you are likely to stay upright etc and jog. Any sign of discomfort walk so stay close to home. Strap your ankle for all run workouts for awhile. The chemist and places like that sell little anklestraps or wraps that slip on over your toes and have a seam along the injured ankle that offer the musclke some suport.

3) Swimming - to help I need to know some more bitand pieces. Do you have any thoughtsn your current weaknesses? What were/have you been doing to improve your swim? Do youswim drills or sets? Or just continuous swimming for now?

4) Half Ironman: Could you do one at the end of your second season? Sure.. probably. Do you think you will be able to put aside enough training time to do it? Have a lok at the time required and go from there. The basics of a training plan would be dng each sport 3 times per week (average). Your swim sessions would be longer than the HIM distance, your rides would be building up to close or just over HIM distance and I know you can do the running if you were heading out for a 15 mile trail run1! I would talk with your family and see if there is a way to make it work that wouldnt take too much time away from them.

2009-04-17 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2091412

User image

Champion
Sydney

JoeBWan - 2009-04-18 1:07 AM Hey, All!

Cat - I don't know how you keep up with everyone, but I'm really happy to have found this group.  Great job so far - it's going to be a great season!

~ Joe

Thanks Joe! As long as everyone is a little patient if I get behind on the replies we will be fine!!!

Right now Im sitting in bed with a laptop in my PJs and getting thall read before I head out on my long ride! (Its coming up for 10am saturday morning) I should have gone earlier but Im riding solo today so it wont matter when I start or finish!

2009-04-17 6:52 PM
in reply to: #2091416

User image

Champion
Taser-World
JoeBWan - 2009-04-17 11:09 AM

I just made the realization (rather slowly, apparently) that the chart Dee provided also has the links to each person's blogs!  Nicely done!

Thanks, Dee!

Hm. But it's there without the background picture? (Which is fine -- unless you WANT a background picture....)
2009-04-17 7:02 PM
in reply to: #2092902

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kaqphin - 2009-04-17 7:23 PM

Ok Im going to make an offer - if she wants to join us on this group she is more than welcome. It may help as many of us  are all trying to loose weight and many tryingto complete their first triathlon. Plus with you here it might not seem as scary as posting on the main boards for starters...

I so saw that offer coming. Cat rocks!

I think it's a great idea. She could discuss weight loss, training, and so on with us.

(I'll even hide my taser collection until she's used to us.)

Whoops! I wasn't supposed to mention that yet ^^^^. Just pretend you didn't see it.

Edited by D001 2009-04-17 7:02 PM

2009-04-17 7:07 PM
in reply to: #2092939

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
Hm. But it's there without the background picture? (Which is fine -- unless you WANT a background picture....)

Yeah.  I couldn't get the background pic to stick.  I tried everything I could think of.  The funny thing is, the picture would be there when I was in edit mode (I like #1, btw), but later when I would return to the page, it would be gone.

If anyone figures out the easiest way to post the chart correctly, I'd love to hear it.  Or, if you don't mind sending me the html, I can just do it that way.  Thanks!
2009-04-17 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2091369

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Super Cats Mentor Group - Open

peach5757 - 2009-04-18 12:57 AM

- Who you are and what your life is like (family etc so we know what your time demands are) -- I'm 27/F and currently living with my boyfriend of 1 year.  I've never been married and have no children (but we do have 4 cats!!)  I work full time Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm...but we have a gym at work so that is helpful for working out over my lunch break.  I live in Wilmington, NC which is about 10 minutes from Wrightsville Beach and Carolina Beach so I have great access to the ocean to do open water swims (when the water warms up a bit!)

- Are you using a tranining plan? -- I'm following the trinewbies 11 week sprint distance beginner  training plan.  Here is the link:

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/10wtp.pdf

It also has a strength training plan that it suggests you follow 2 days a week.  I haven't started any strength training yet...do you think that is a good idea?

- Do you have any weight loss goals? -- Since graduating from college in 2004 I've not been able to stick with any sort of consistent exercise program...I'll have a few good months...then a few bad months and it seems to be a never ending cycle.  My weight right now is 143 and I'm 5'3" tall.  I'd like to get down to around 115.  That's what I was in college and it was a great weight for me.  So I guess that means I want to lose 25-30 lbs.  My struggle is that I really like wine...and I love food in general.  I have been much better about cooking at home and making healthy substitutions, but I still really love going out to dinner!

- How are you going with the individual sports? Swim/Bike Run... and what are your strengths and weaknesses? -- I was a competitive swimmer through my childhood and swam for my college swim team so I'd have to say swimming is my strength.  I'm not an expert cyclist by any means, but I've been taking spin classes for years which I love (although it's been a few months since I've done this consistently).  I own a trek 700 hybrid bike which is a number of years old, but in very good condition (b/c it wasn't used much!).  I just took it to my local bike shop to have them take a look at it since I hadn't used it in a few years.  It only cost my $15.00 for them to make a few necessary adjustments!  I've been out on it once since then and had a great time riding.  As for running...that is my weakness.  I find that anytime I've started running I jump into it too quickly and end up with shin splints or a knee issue.  I'm now well aware that it needs to be a gradual process!

- Anything else you need help with in relation to the sport -- I'm most concerned about some possibly minor things like...what do I wear for my race? and what about transitions?  Do I need to fuel during my race if it's only a sprint?  If I'm doing a longer race how do you go to the bathroom? etc.

Misc. Info -- I'm originally from New Cumberland, PA and went to college in Maryland.  After college I moved to New York City and worked in publishing there for 3 years.  I grew tired of the lifestyle in NYC and was ready for a change so I picked up and moved to Wilmington, NC.  It's a great town with a big Tri presence in the community.  The only thing is that to be part of the "Tri Club" here you have to pay about $300 and that was too much for my tight budget.  Any advice for someone training alone?  My biggest fear is biking on busy roads alone, but I realize if I don't bike on some busy roads I'll never get in as many miles as I need to when I begin training for my 1/2 ironman.

Thanks for taking the time write an intro! I love the new avatar too! Very cute!!

There is SO much to cover in there so I will do my best right now but if I miss ANYTHING please follow me up

1) Its great that you have a gym at work! How much time do you manage to squeeze in? Im guessing its great for your running Is there a pool or do you have to go elsewhere for that?

2) Strength TRaining: Around BT its a bit of a can of worms as some people are a fan and some are not as such. I would suggest if you are unsure you start out with core work and stretching. For general body conditioning, weight loss and longterm health, especially for women who start loosing muscle mass rapidly every year from around the age of 30 then its a good idea. Might not directly make you faster in a triathlon but it will make you a more well rounded human being health wise. I also call some of it vanity in my case!

Also a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat so as you shape up you may find your weight doesnt always change that much but your size may!

3) THere is nothing wrong with liking food and wine! I like eating out too! I try to just besensible and not make it an every day occassion Meat, vegies etc can all be fine in a restaurant setting as long as you watch portion sizes. I dont miss out on dessert either but I will often split something. Im a light weight when it comes to drinks which is probably one of my saving graces!!! If you like to cook then thats fantastic! A whole new world can open up to you

Other good restaurant choices can inclue: tomato based pasta sauces, salads with dressing on the side so you can control your portion, vinagartter etc dressings are fine, most meats - chicken, fish, red meat as long as you kep and eye on portion sizes and how its cooked, japanese, mexican (just keep and eye on the cheese/guac/sourcrem), stir fries (dependant on how they are cooked), anything steamed etc etc etc

l always have 1-2meals a week that Im not that strict with. The day before my longride is a good time to have one of them... the other is usually the day off or the day after. It comes down to eating the naughty calories at timeswhen my body needs them msot. Special occassions such as Easter, my birthday, christmas are open game for at least one meal! But dont drag it out a week!

4) Running: You sound like me. The thing with running is that if you are already fit to some degree it will not be your heart and lungs that hold you back but your body. All the connective tissues and muscles in your legs have to gradualy get used to the impact of running nad the strain it puts on the body.

Walking is REALLY hepful for beginner runners or those returning to thesport as it mimics the time on your feet requirement without the impact of running. The essentials for starting out are: ALWAYS warm up by walking for a minimum of 5-10 minutes at the beginning of EVERY run workout. When you start to run, jog at a conversastional pace. Walk breaks are good if taken regularly - they should be taken before your body starts to yell at you as they are designed to help lessen discomfort and allow you to have a longer workout. Walk breaks can be 1-2 minutes in duration starting out. Run 3 times a week and not on consecutive days for starters. IF you start to notice any unusual niggles dont be afraid to take an extra walk break. To finish walk for 5-10 minutes to cool down. Stretch!

IF its ok Im going to start a NEW post covering all your race related questions later as I dont want to miss anything!

PS: I just realised I hadnt answered your training solo question either... will come back and write a WHOLE post n that too... its something Ive got LOTS of eperience in!

Edited by kaqphin 2009-04-17 7:12 PM
2009-04-17 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2092939

User image

Champion
Sydney

D001 - 2009-04-18 9:52 AM
JoeBWan - 2009-04-17 11:09 AM I just made the realization (rather slowly, apparently) that the chart Dee provided also has the links to each person's blogs!  Nicely done!

Thanks, Dee!

Background picture has disappeared from the original post

2009-04-17 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2092951

User image

Champion
Sydney

D001 - 2009-04-18 10:02 AM
kaqphin - 2009-04-17 7:23 PM Ok Im going to make an offer - if she wants to join us on this group she is more than welcome. It may help as many of us  are all trying to loose weight and many tryingto complete their first triathlon. Plus with you here it might not seem as scary as posting on the main boards for starters...
I so saw that offer coming. Cat rocks! I think it's a great idea. She could discuss weight loss, training, and so on with us. (I'll even hide my taser collection until she's used to us.) Whoops! I wasn't supposed to mention that yet ^^^^. Just pretend you didn't see it.

Clearly Im predictable!

2009-04-17 7:14 PM
in reply to: #2092902

User image

Veteran
State College, PA

Ok Im going to make an offer - if she wants to join us on this group she is more than welcome.

Thanks so much, Cat!  I was going to offer that she just DO the things we're going and sort of mirror me, but it would be so awesome if she agrees to join the group and we can do it as a team.  That way, she can have her own support and goals, and tracking and everything.

She's taking a nap right now (downfall of being a school teacher and waking up at 4:30 every morning), but I am going to present her with your offer and message when she gets up.

Also, thanks to everyone else for offering to accept her into the group.  I'm really excited about this prospect.  She and I trained together to help her complete her first 5K last Fall and it was a great experience for us together.  Things fell apart for both of us around the holidays, but it's always easier for me to get back on the wagon than it is for her.

I think this forum would be a great help for her as well as me.

2009-04-17 7:19 PM
in reply to: #2092887

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Cat - thanks for the swimming, running and biking advice! I think I'm going to print it out, actually. (I think my swim stroke is too wide, so I'm working on that.... And yes, I DO count when I run! So I know exactly what you mean. LOL)

But... I just realized that while I gave an intro, I didn't answer some of the other questions you asked....

Training Plan: I don't have one. I tried a few of the BT ones, but didn't stick with them. In general, I just try to increase things slowly. For example, if I swam ___ yards in one session, the next time I get in the pool, I'll try to increase it slightly. Or, if I'm really struggling, I'll at least try to match it.

I've gotten better at not pushing myself, because I kept getting injured. (But in some cases, I probably need to push more. I think I've slacked off too much lately, due to work, etc.)

Anything else you need help with in relation to the sport: Um, for now, I'll just ask questions as they come to me. And I'll read about what everyone else is doing. This group has people at all levels, so I'm sure I'll pick up a lot of good info and pointers. (Yay, us! )

Goals: Increase endurance and consistency. (Speed would be nice too, especially with swimming and running.) Try to keep from injuring shoulders, knees and any other body parts. Lose the weight that's crept on. (Which will also help the knees.)

Upcoming races: Um.... I admit it - I'm not here for the races, really. There's enough competition in my life as there is. I train more to relieve stress, and in an attempt to get in shape. (Or regain the shape I've lost!) That said, I *heart* the challenge forum! It's competitive, without being competitive. (If that makes any sense.)

Also, I do need to push myself more. So maybe I need to set some more definite training goals. (Although the challenges generally keep me in line.)

Hurdles to be overcome: I need to learn to balance work and "everything else" better. :P

Edited by D001 2009-04-17 7:22 PM
2009-04-17 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2092970

User image

Champion
Sydney

JoeBWan - 2009-04-18 10:14 AM

Ok Im going to make an offer - if she wants to join us on this group she is more than welcome.

Thanks so much, Cat!  I was going to offer that she just DO the things we're going and sort of mirror me, but it would be so awesome if she agrees to join the group and we can do it as a team.  That way, she can have her own support and goals, and tracking and everything.

She's taking a nap right now (downfall of being a school teacher and waking up at 4:30 every morning), but I am going to present her with your offer and message when she gets up.

Also, thanks to everyone else for offering to accept her into the group.  I'm really excited about this prospect.  She and I trained together to help her complete her first 5K last Fall and it was a great experience for us together.  Things fell apart for both of us around the holidays, but it's always easier for me to get back on the wagon than it is for her.

Great!! I look forward to meeting her

Im now off for my ride - I will then spend sometme this afternoon talking about training in a group, training solo and the questions around your first triathlon...

In the interim Id love to hear any updates on peoples traing and what you all have planned for the weekend (not just training!)

Me? Im going for my long ride now... a bit late... then I have dinner with my brother tonight before he flies back to  Melbourne tomorrow. Tomorrow I am meeting a friend for a run, then will do a ride and hopefully later in the day a swim...

My what an exciting social life I have!!It has to fit around my bike rides Well that and I have NO MONEY because of the whole paying for a new bike thing...

2009-04-17 7:24 PM
in reply to: #2092956

User image

Champion
Taser-World
JoeBWan - 2009-04-17 8:07 PM

Yeah.  I couldn't get the background pic to stick.  I tried everything I could think of.  The funny thing is, the picture would be there when I was in edit mode (I like #1, btw), but later when I would return to the page, it would be gone.

If anyone figures out the easiest way to post the chart correctly, I'd love to hear it.  Or, if you don't mind sending me the html, I can just do it that way.  Thanks!

Code is on its way!

Edited by D001 2009-04-17 7:29 PM
2009-04-17 7:25 PM
in reply to: #2090594

User image

Champion
Taser-World
This is the code for the 1st table. (With the cute kitty.) Copy the code and paste it in your blog. Save it. You may need to refresh your screen (hit CTRL and F5 keys at the same time), in order to see the table, instead of the code.

If it still doesn't show up right, get rid of anything you see. Then click the little HTML button on your editor. Paste the code in there, and save it.

<table bgcolor="#66CCFF" background="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=99078" width="318" border="1"><tr><td align="left"><b><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=153741"><font color="black">SUPER CAT's MENTOR GROUP</font></a><p><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=20768&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">kaqphin - Super Cat</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=54394&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">El Flaco - Jason</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=93662&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">patchadams - </font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=85583&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">Sulcus - Shawn</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=79016&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">crews - </font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=138687&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">losta - Lisa</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=111243&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">Rudedog55 - Rudy</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=139045&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">hel2hel - Helen</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=104405&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">DogwoodGirl - Annie</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=81499&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">JoeBWan - Joe</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=99446&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">d2lock - Dave</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=136094&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">peach5757 - Jess</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=2406&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">madkat - Karen</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=72320&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">D001 - Dee</font></a><br></b></td></tr></table>

Edited by D001 2009-04-17 7:31 PM
2009-04-17 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2090594

User image

Champion
Taser-World
And this is the code for the chubby kitty. (Follow the same directions as above to copy it into your blog.)

<table bgcolor="#66CCFF" background="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=99080" width="325" border="1"><tr><td align="left"><b><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=153741"><font color="black">SUPER CAT's MENTOR GROUP</font></a><p><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=20768&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">kaqphin - Super Cat</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=54394&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">El Flaco - Jason</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=93662&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">patchadams - </font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=85583&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">Sulcus - Shawn</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=79016&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">crews - </font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=138687&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">losta - Lisa</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=111243&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">Rudedog55 - Rudy</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=139045&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">hel2hel - Helen</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=104405&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">DogwoodGirl - Annie</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=81499&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">JoeBWan - Joe</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=99446&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">d2lock - Dave</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=136094&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">peach5757 - Jess</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=2406&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">madkat - Karen</font></a><br><a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=72320&year=&month=&day="><font color="black">D001 - Dee</font></a><br></b></td></tr></table>

2009-04-17 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2092985

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kaqphin - 2009-04-17 8:22 PM

Great!! I look forward to meeting her

Im now off for my ride - I will then spend sometme this afternoon talking about training in a group, training solo and the questions around your first triathlon...

In the interim Id love to hear any updates on peoples traing and what you all have planned for the weekend (not just training!)

Me? Im going for my long ride now... a bit late... then I have dinner with my brother tonight before he flies back to  Melbourne tomorrow. Tomorrow I am meeting a friend for a run, then will do a ride and hopefully later in the day a swim...

My what an exciting social life I have!!It has to fit around my bike rides Well that and I have NO MONEY because of the whole paying for a new bike thing...

Have fun!

2009-04-17 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2092970

User image

Champion
Taser-World
JoeBWan - 2009-04-17 8:14 PM

So who's the dog in your avatar? I'm thinking he/she is your pup?

And what does your wife teach? If it's young kids.... Maybe she already runs a 5k each day in an effort to keep up with them!
2009-04-17 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2092932

User image

Veteran
State College, PA

JoeBWan - 2009-04-18 2:12 AM

- Are you using a training plan? I really don't do the plan thing.

I think I was a little misleading when I said I don't do the plan thing.  I do actually have a routine and I try to workout intelligently, but I don't follow any "prescribed" or written plans.  I have tried that a couple of times and always have a difficult time adapting other plans to my schedule.

When my ankle's back in shape, here's my planned rountine:

Monday - run after work; bike in evening (in the summer I will bike to work and back)
Tuesday - swim at lunch (40 min)
Wednesday - run after work (speed workout with T-Ray2 & friends)
Thursday - swim at lunch (40 min)
Friday - OFF
Saturday - swim in early morning; bike later in the day
Sunday - long, slow trail run

Cat, thanks for the ankle advice.  It felt good enough today that I really wanted to run, but I'm using my greatest willpower to be patient and wait until I'm sure.  I'll listen to you and wrap it during my runs for a while.  I hadn't thought of that even though I do own a wrap.  Duh!

2009-04-17 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2092994

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
D001 - 2009-04-17 8:25 PM This is the code for the 1st table. (With the cute kitty.)

Thanks, Dee!   That worked AWEsomely!
2009-04-17 7:48 PM
in reply to: #2093017

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
So who's the dog in your avatar? I'm thinking he/she is your pup? And what does your wife teach? If it's young kids.... Maybe she already runs a 5k each day in an effort to keep up with them!

Yep, as my wife says, Cinnamon's the "other girl" in my life.  Now you had to go and make me break out the pics:

Cinny in the field half size

My wife, Lori BTW, took that while on a walk in the fields behind our house last week.  Lori teaches highschool Spanish to 13-18 yr olds.  The big hurdle is that her school is a 45 minute drive away, so she has to leave the house at 6:15 in the morning.

However, summer is coming soon!  Does school go on break during the summer in Australia like they do here?

Edited by JoeBWan 2009-04-17 7:50 PM

2009-04-17 7:52 PM
in reply to: #2092959

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kaqphin - 2009-04-17 8:09 PM
peach5757 - 2009-04-18 12:57 AM
  • .. It also has a strength training plan that it suggests you follow 2 days a week.  I haven't started any strength training yet...do you think that is a good idea?...

• .. I was a competitive swimmer through my childhood and swam for my college swim team so I'd have to say swimming is my strength. 

• .. 2) Strength TRaining: Around BT its a bit of a can of worms as some people are a fan and some are not as such. I would suggest if you are unsure you start out with core work and stretching. For general body conditioning, weight loss and longterm health, especially for women who start loosing muscle mass rapidly every year from around the age of 30 then its a good idea. Might not directly make you faster in a triathlon but it will make you a more well rounded human being health wise. I also call some of it vanity in my case!

Also a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat so as you shape up you may find your weight doesnt always change that much but your size may!

• I don't want to enter the ever-ongoing BT weight training debate either, but...

Another thought is doing a higher number of reps with less weight for your strength training.

This helps conditioning, rather than emphasizing building muscle mass. (Although women will build less muscle than men, due to lower testosterone levels.)

For example, rather than doing 6-8 repetitions with a heavier weight.... Do 12-15 repetitions with a lighter weight.

Also, Cat has a really good point about losing muscle mass after age 30. In addition, weight bearing exercises can (supposedly) help maintain strong bones and prevent osteoporosis. (Although there are a lot of other factors involved, as well.)

2009-04-17 7:59 PM
    in reply to: #2072951

User image

Veteran
    State College, PA
    I'm with you on the weight training.  I went hardcore weight training last year mixed with my triathlon "training" (since it was very loose to call it actual training) and I don't think it helped all that much UNTIL I backed off and reduced the number of times I was lifting per week.  I went from five days to two.  THEN, I was much less sore, less tired and my times and comfort levels running and biking became significantly better.

I am 42, btw, so I consider weight training an essential part of my "needs," but have yet to commit it to my schedule.  When I do add it in, it's always upper-body because I think my lower body gets enough of a workout biking and running.

Probably poor logic, but hey, it's something.
    2009-04-17 8:01 PM
    in reply to: #2093049

User image

Champion
    Taser-World
    JoeBWan - 2009-04-17 8:48 PM

So who's the dog in your avatar? I'm thinking he/she is your pup? And what does your wife teach? If it's young kids.... Maybe she already runs a 5k each day in an effort to keep up with them!

Yep, as my wife says, Cinnamon's the "other girl" in my life.  Now you had to go and make me break out the pics:

Cinny in the field half size

My wife, Lori BTW, took that while on a walk in the fields behind our house last week.  Lori teaches highschool Spanish to 13-18 yr olds.  The big hurdle is that her school is a 45 minute drive away, so she has to leave the house at 6:15 in the morning.

However, summer is coming soon!  Does school go on break during the summer in Australia like they do here?

What a cool picture! Cinnamon looks like she's had a good day. (I'm a dog lover, in case you couldn't tell. LOL)

School teachers have a long day as it is.... Add in a 45 min commute (each way), and it ends up being a really long day! (Plus, I'm willing to bet she spends her evenings grading papers, and her weekends writing lesson plans.)

Guess we'll have to wait for Cat to return to find out if there are summer breaks in Oz.

Actually, a big thing around here are the new year-round schools. They actually go all year round, with short breaks several times during the year.
    2009-04-17 8:51 PM
    in reply to: #2093077

User image

Champion
    Taser-World
    I just noticed that Beth's and Yanti's mentor group is already up to page 20.

Oh wait. It's Beth and Yanti. Of COURSE they're up to page 20.

Here, have some glitter to brighten your Friday.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 58