BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-05-25 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2171488

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Subject: RE: KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD
kvesey - 2009-05-25 7:56 AM

msfugitivehunter - 2009-05-23 8:47 PM Had a great 20 mile ride today followed by a brick run.  Weather was a little moist, but kept the temps down....that was good.  Will have a short run tomorrow and then a triple brick on Monday!

Great job! Let us know how that triple brick goes today. I did those when training for my half and full ironman races. They sure help with the mental part (just because everything can seem easy).

I was going to do the club's ride this morning, but they have cancelled it. Not sure how my day will go now. I do need to swim. And it's been a while since I've had a good bike ride. But a lot of stuff at home is calling my name too. I think I need a 48-hour day.

Actually, I was planning on doing the group ride this morning as well.  I am having some soreness in my right knee and did not want to push it on a run, thought I would just ride.  Now that the ride has been cancelled, I am not sure what I will do.  I may end up at the Y in Flowood swimming, who knows.

2009-05-26 8:32 PM
in reply to: #2077050

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Woo hoo!  I finally got my new ISM Adamo saddle in and have it installed, ready to go ride and test it out!  No more perinium pain!  Laughing
2009-05-27 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2174485

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-05-26 8:32 PM Woo hoo!  I finally got my new ISM Adamo saddle in and have it installed, ready to go ride and test it out!  No more perinium pain!  Laughing

Oooh! Let me know how you like it. It might be worth a present for hubby (if he actually starts riding his bike again).

2009-05-27 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2175127

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

So, over the last couple of weeks, I've gone to this functional performance training class at a place called Velocity Sports Performance. It's actually not significantly different than the functional core training I've done in the off season and the plyometrics that I try to include regularly in my running.

You would think that we get enough working out and overall strength training from our regular swim, bike, run schedules, but you would be surprised at how important and beneficial it is to engage in "different" types of training, particularly for those of us who are aging up a bit. As we get older, we start to lose not only muscle mass but also our ability to balance. It's important for our overall health and to stay injury free to continuously work on strength and [a word that totally escapes me right now but refers to the ability to maintain balance].

(Apparently, I need the exercises that work the brain muscle.)

In this class, we do a series of dynamic, explosive exercises that work the entire body, including the brain. It is about an hour long, very intense, and surprisingly hard in many ways (like, I had a hellofa time trying to balance on one leg while reaching down to the ground with a medicine ball). 

After the first class, I was pretty sore. The second class, and I've already adapted pretty well, and not so sore afterward. (Abs and obliques were a bit tender.)

While it's convenient to find a class to do this kind of stuff, it's easy enough to incorporate some of it into your own training. For example, try this:

Warm up with an easy 20-30 minute run. Then do the following over approximately 10-20 yards:

• 4 x skip (really drive your knee up and swing your arms
  • 4 x 2-foot hop (10 hops)
  • 4 x knee to elbow (pull that knee up and dorsi-flex the foot)
  • 4 x side shuffle (makes sure to switch sides; don't bring feet together or you'll fall)
  • 4 x crossover (grapevine)
  • Find a post to balance; close your eyes and "pedal" for 30-60 seconds right leg then left leg
  • Trace the alphabet with your right foot and then your left foot

Run easy cooldown 20-30 minutes.

Try and do this once a week. Your running form will improve. You will develop power. And you will be protecting yourself from injury.

2009-05-27 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Barrington
Karen-

I'll have to try that workout.  Sounds good.

Does anyone use a Garmin to track workouts?  If so what kind?  What do you like or dislike about it?
Thanks
2009-05-27 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
I absolutely love the new seat, I had no pain at all.  It was great.  I do need to take the bike and have my fit double checked just to make sure everything is good to go.

Karen, the class sounds very interesting and Velocity is just down the street from me.  Do you know if they are offering the class again anytime soon?

2009-05-27 9:41 PM
in reply to: #2175294

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mars11 - 2009-05-27 9:33 AM Karen-

Does anyone use a Garmin to track workouts?  If so what kind?  What do you like or dislike about it?
Thanks

I have the least expensive Garmin you can get. So, it's not a GPS, but I really like it. It's the Forerunner 50, and I got it with the heart rate monitor and foot pod. It tracks heart rate and running zones (average and high), miles run, pace, steps, and cadence. It has an auto lap feature as well as the standard manual lap. It works great, and the foot pod is pretty accurate. At least as accurate as my friends' fancy GPS version. It also uploads data wirelessly. You're just not going to get maps and elevation information like with the GPS. You can get a bike speed and cadence sensor to go with it, too.

2009-05-27 9:44 PM
in reply to: #2177063

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-05-27 7:38 PM I absolutely love the new seat, I had no pain at all.  It was great.  I do need to take the bike and have my fit double checked just to make sure everything is good to go.

Karen, the class sounds very interesting and Velocity is just down the street from me.  Do you know if they are offering the class again anytime soon?

The Adamo definitely goes on the possible list of gifts for hubby. Everyone I know who has one thinks it's great.

I'm actually taking this class at Velocity through a program offered by Fleet Feet. It's their spring speed program (or something). On Tuesdays, we meet at the track, and on Thursdays, we get a workout at Velocity.

However, Velocity is obviously open to the public, and I think you can start classes whenever you want.  I would just go there or give them a call.

2009-05-30 10:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Karen, would you care to share some of those knee strengthening exercises you talked about a couple posts ago?  Seeing that I have bad knees, and the sore one is getting better, I would like to go ahead and do some strengthening to head off any future problems.

Thanks
2009-05-30 11:39 PM
in reply to: #2177300

User image

Prattville
kvesey - 2009-05-27 7:41 PM

Thanks

I have the least expensive Garmin you can get. So, it's not a GPS, but I really like it. It's the Forerunner 50, and I got it with the heart rate monitor and foot pod. It tracks heart rate and running zones (average and high), miles run, pace, steps, and cadence. It has an auto lap feature as well as the standard manual lap. It works great, and the foot pod is pretty accurate. At least as accurate as my friends' fancy GPS version. It also uploads data wirelessly. You're just not going to get maps and elevation information like with the GPS. You can get a bike speed and cadence sensor to go with it, too.

I use the Garmin 205 and absolutely love it.  It's so much easier to see how far I've run than pre-mapping the route here on BT or in Google Maps and trying to remember what the landmarks are.  Also, I've found that my pacing has improved dramatically.  If I had it to do over again, I'd buy the 305 (about $75 more) to have the HR data as well, but since I'm more comfortable with RPE workouts, it's not that big of a loss. 
2009-05-30 11:45 PM

User image

Prattville
Well, it's been a year of saving and cajoling, but I finally convince She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed to let me buy a new bike.  It's a beauty.  '09 Cervelo P1.  It's Red and Silver with FSA cranks and cassette (50-34 in front with a 12-25 in back), Speedplay pedals, a Cateye wireless computer, Profile Design aero bars, etc.  Just a stock bike, but a huge improvement over the Bikes Direct road bike I had.  I got it yesterday and was riding it before it was fit to me.  I fell over because I couldn't get unclipped from the pedal fast enough.  Insert ironic laughter here.  Anyway, scraped and bruised my left knee pretty bad, but I'm still going on my 1.5 hour ride tomorrow.  I'll let you all know how it goes. 

2009-05-31 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2183859

User image

Veteran
Barrington
cshollon - 2009-05-30 11:39 PM

Thanks

I use the Garmin 205 and absolutely love it.  It's so much easier to see how far I've run than pre-mapping the route here on BT or in Google Maps and trying to remember what the landmarks are.  Also, I've found that my pacing has improved dramatically.  If I had it to do over again, I'd buy the 305 (about $75 more) to have the HR data as well, but since I'm more comfortable with RPE workouts, it's not that big of a loss. 

I know people that use the 305 and have said how it has increased the effectiveness of their workouts.  

But I have also been told that there is a new Garmin coming out that is waterproof.  So you can use it for all 3 sports.  Hmmmm....what to do.

So jealous about the Cervelo.  I don't know much about bikes, but that's got to be a SWEET RIDE!!!!

Edited by Mars11 2009-05-31 8:34 AM
2009-05-31 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2183862

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
cshollon - 2009-05-30 11:45 PM Well, it's been a year of saving and cajoling, but I finally convince She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed to let me buy a new bike.  It's a beauty.  '09 Cervelo P1.  It's Red and Silver with FSA cranks and cassette (50-34 in front with a 12-25 in back), Speedplay pedals, a Cateye wireless computer, Profile Design aero bars, etc.  Just a stock bike, but a huge improvement over the Bikes Direct road bike I had.  I got it yesterday and was riding it before it was fit to me.  I fell over because I couldn't get unclipped from the pedal fast enough.  Insert ironic laughter here.  Anyway, scraped and bruised my left knee pretty bad, but I'm still going on my 1.5 hour ride tomorrow.  I'll let you all know how it goes. 

Sweet ride, congrats!  I stopped by the LBS yesterday for some small gear items I needed and found myself standing there drooling over the 2009 Quintana Roo Caliente.....it's a full carbon bike, painted yellow and black, kinda looks like a bumble bee, but intimidating looking.  Anyway, the geometry on this thing was just perfect.... guess I know what my next bike will be..lol

Sorry to hear about the knee, I almost did the very same thing the other day, lucky I got unclipped about half way to the ground and was able to catch myself.  Hope you recover quickly with no delays in training.
2009-05-31 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2183812

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-05-30 10:22 PM Karen, would you care to share some of those knee strengthening exercises you talked about a couple posts ago?  Seeing that I have bad knees, and the sore one is getting better, I would like to go ahead and do some strengthening to head off any future problems.

Thanks

Absolutely!

1. Sit in a chair with both feet flat on the floor. Raise right leg parallel to the floor, turn your foot out, and do a set of 30 small leg raises using your inside thigh muscles and keeping your knee straight. Switch and do the same with your left leg. Repeat 3x on both sides.

2. Wall sit. Put your back flat against a wall and slide down as if sitting in a chair (feet should be about 2 fist widths apart). Slide far enough down so that your knees are almost at right angle. Toes should be slightly in front of your knees. Rest your hands palms up on your thighs. Hold this position for 1 to 2 minutes. 

3. These are isometric exercises I used to strengthen my legs for horseback riding, but I think they offer some knee stabilization benefits, too. Go down in about a half squat (make sure knees are aligned with ankles and not over your toes). Put your left hand on the inside of your right knee and your right hand on the inside of your left knee. Squeeze your knees together while pushing back with your hands. Hold for about 30 seconds. Then, put your right hand on the outside of your left knee and your left hand on the outside of your right knee. Push your knees out while pushing back with your hands. Hold for about 30 seconds. Do 3 sets of each.

Also, make sure you are stretching your quads and IT bands regularly. 

Here's a web site that has some exercises specifically for patellar tendonitis: www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_jumpersk_rex.htm.

2009-05-31 7:36 PM
in reply to: #2184074

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mars11 - 2009-05-31 8:32 AM
cshollon - 2009-05-30 11:39 PM

Thanks

I know people that use the 305 and have said how it has increased the effectiveness of their workouts.  

But I have also been told that there is a new Garmin coming out that is waterproof.  So you can use it for all 3 sports.  Hmmmm....what to do.

So jealous about the Cervelo.  I don't know much about bikes, but that's got to be a SWEET RIDE!!!!

Most people I know who have one love their 305s. My problem is I have extremely small wrists (to go with the extremely small head, ankles, etc.), and the 305 is just waaay to big for me. The 405 is smaller, but very expensive, and I am not as in to being all geeked out, anyway. So, that's why I went with the 50. I'm going to add the bike speed/cadence sensor so everything will get captured on the watch.

2009-05-31 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2183862

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

cshollon - 2009-05-30 11:45 PM Well, it's been a year of saving and cajoling, but I finally convince She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed to let me buy a new bike.  It's a beauty.  '09 Cervelo P1.  It's Red and Silver with FSA cranks and cassette (50-34 in front with a 12-25 in back), Speedplay pedals, a Cateye wireless computer, Profile Design aero bars, etc.  Just a stock bike, but a huge improvement over the Bikes Direct road bike I had.  I got it yesterday and was riding it before it was fit to me.  I fell over because I couldn't get unclipped from the pedal fast enough.  Insert ironic laughter here.  Anyway, scraped and bruised my left knee pretty bad, but I'm still going on my 1.5 hour ride tomorrow.  I'll let you all know how it goes. 

Woo hoo! Congrats on the new, sweet ride.

2009-06-03 2:48 PM

STORY: I have always wanted to participate in a race. So this is my years goal. I want to participate in a Sprint Triathlon that will take place in Miami on September 26.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for over 4 years. No children

CURRENT TRAINING:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Will race in 10K this August.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am 5 2 and 124pounds, but 29% of fat!!!

I don't know if can still be part of this group!

I am very bad swimmer, actually I will start taking classes in June 26. But, already started this training and doing the swimming part with a board, that will strenghen my lower body.

Hope you can help!

Patricia
2009-06-03 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Barrington
Okay people.  My first Tri is just around the corner.  I'm excited and nervous all at the same time.  Tell me the top 3 things that I should do, think, eat.....
2009-06-03 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2193036

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Mars11 - 2009-06-03 3:48 PM Okay people.  My first Tri is just around the corner.  I'm excited and nervous all at the same time.  Tell me the top 3 things that I should do, think, eat.....

#1 HAVE FUN

#2 Practice your transitions and know how everything will be arrange so you can have a smooth transition.  Being your first  triathlon, nothing is more frustrating that being stuck in transition because you can't find what you need, get your shoes on, etc....practice ahead and be able to do it in your sleep.

#3 Make sure you get plenty of rest, the nite before and you should eat a really good, healthy, carb loaded meal approx. 36-48 hrs ahead so your glycogen stores are topped off so you won't "Bonk".

I am not sure how far away it is or how long it is....but those would be my top three for a sprint or mini sprint.  Of course longer races would have much more complexity.  On your first one, I say just have fun and savor the moment.  This is the beginning of your addiction!  Not a whole lot you can do for training at this point, if it is really close, "The hay is in the barn".... The number one most important thing is to have fun!
2009-06-03 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
I just went for my last tune up ride before the Heatwave Classic, I had 2 flats and only had one spare.  Funny thing is I was 8 miles from my truck.  I ran 3 miles in my socks, pushing my bike, before a fellow cyclist stopped and offered me a ride back to my vehicle.  Man, I am so glad it happened today instead of race day!  I just couldn't believe my tire was pierced by a tiny little rock with a sharp edge.  I guess it's time to start looking at a tougher tire.
2009-06-04 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2193732

User image

Veteran
Barrington
msfugitivehunter - 2009-06-03 9:05 PM
Mars11 - 2009-06-03 3:48 PM Okay people.  My first Tri is just around the corner.  I'm excited and nervous all at the same time.  Tell me the top 3 things that I should do, think, eat.....

#1 HAVE FUN

#2 Practice your transitions and know how everything will be arrange so you can have a smooth transition.  Being your first  triathlon, nothing is more frustrating that being stuck in transition because you can't find what you need, get your shoes on, etc....practice ahead and be able to do it in your sleep.

#3 Make sure you get plenty of rest, the nite before and you should eat a really good, healthy, carb loaded meal approx. 36-48 hrs ahead so your glycogen stores are topped off so you won't "Bonk".

I am not sure how far away it is or how long it is....but those would be my top three for a sprint or mini sprint.  Of course longer races would have much more complexity.  On your first one, I say just have fun and savor the moment.  This is the beginning of your addiction!  Not a whole lot you can do for training at this point, if it is really close, "The hay is in the barn".... The number one most important thing is to have fun!

Thanks for the advice Todd!!
Yes it's a sprint.  Carbo load - whole wheat pasta?  What's your fav meal?
What do you eat the morning of your race?  I'm estimating it will take me 90 minutes to finish.
I was thinking a banana before, water on bike and maybe cliff shots at T2.
Not big on Gatorade or gels.  Just haven't experimented with them enough yet.

I'll definately be practicing my transistions all week.  We have a clinic this saturday so that will give me some more hands on experience and advice.

Right, right, right, HAVE FUN!  I'll keep telling myself that. 

I'm ultra competitive and everytime I think that I'm making strides in my training, I meet up with somebody that is incredibly talented.  It's a horrible feeling.  Then I remind myself that there's always going to be someone faster than me and slower than me.  And it doesn't matter what place I get.  )

2009-06-04 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2192802

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

partieda - 2009-06-03 2:48 PM STORY: I have always wanted to participate in a race. So this is my years goal. I want to participate in a Sprint Triathlon that will take place in Miami on September 26. FAMILY STATUS: Married for over 4 years. No children CURRENT TRAINING: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... THIS YEAR'S RACES: Will race in 10K this August. WEIGHTLOSS: I am 5 2 and 124pounds, but 29% of fat!!! I don't know if can still be part of this group! I am very bad swimmer, actually I will start taking classes in June 26. But, already started this training and doing the swimming part with a board, that will strenghen my lower body. Hope you can help! Patricia

Welcome, Patricia!

We're happy to have you as part of the group.

There's a lot of great advice and tips flying around, so be sure to ask any and all questions that you have.

2009-06-04 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2194260

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mars11 - 2009-06-04 8:08 AM
msfugitivehunter - 2009-06-03 9:05 PM

#1 HAVE FUN

Thanks for the advice Todd!!
Yes it's a sprint.  Carbo load - whole wheat pasta?  What's your fav meal?
What do you eat the morning of your race?  I'm estimating it will take me 90 minutes to finish.
I was thinking a banana before, water on bike and maybe cliff shots at T2.
Not big on Gatorade or gels.  Just haven't experimented with them enough yet.

I'll definately be practicing my transistions all week.  We have a clinic this saturday so that will give me some more hands on experience and advice.

Right, right, right, HAVE FUN!  I'll keep telling myself that. 

I'm ultra competitive and everytime I think that I'm making strides in my training, I meet up with somebody that is incredibly talented.  It's a horrible feeling.  Then I remind myself that there's always going to be someone faster than me and slower than me.  And it doesn't matter what place I get.  )

Todd's advice is great, and there's not much that needs to be added, but here's my buck fifty:

#1 In addition to having fun, cheer on your competition and thank all the volunteers. It's called good karma, and will only benefit you in the long run.

#2 Organize and lay out all your stuff the night before the race. Put your number on your race belt (or pin to your jersey). I have a mental list for each leg: swim (wetsuit [if cold enough], cap, goggles; T1 to bike (small towel to wipe feet, helmet, socks [optional], bike shoes, sunglasses, bike gloves [optional], gels and electrolyte tabs if a hot one, water/sport drink bottles on bike, bike); T2 to run (running shoes, socks [optional and if not worn on bike], race number [I use a belt], hat, gels and electrolyte tabs if a long run). I put everything in a milk crate, which I then use as a seat in transition (if there's enough room).

#3 Visualize your race. The evening before, find some quiet time, lie down, close your eyes, and imagine going through the race from start to finish. Feel yourself being strong and fast. Go through all the motions in transition. See yourself high fiving spectators as you near the finish line. Feel the rush of successfully finishing a good race. This should help with your nerves a bit and get you in the right frame of mind.

As for eating. Try to have a light breakfast (banana is good, as is yogurt, PB on an English Muffin, oatmeal) at least 2 hours before the start. If that's not possible, skip breakfast (although, I always have a little coffee), and suck down a Clif Shot about 5 minutes before the start. You'll be fine.

If it's going to be a hot day, consider supplementing your water and Clif Shot with electrolyte tablets or something. I used Endurolytes. I think a lot of people like Nuun tabs because you dissolve them in your water and they taste pretty good.

And since you're a girl: go get a pedicure a day or two before the race. This is my favorite pre-race ritual. Nothing like pretty toes to make you feel fast!

2009-06-04 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2193738

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-06-03 9:09 PM I just went for my last tune up ride before the Heatwave Classic, I had 2 flats and only had one spare.  Funny thing is I was 8 miles from my truck.  I ran 3 miles in my socks, pushing my bike, before a fellow cyclist stopped and offered me a ride back to my vehicle.  Man, I am so glad it happened today instead of race day!  I just couldn't believe my tire was pierced by a tiny little rock with a sharp edge.  I guess it's time to start looking at a tougher tire.

I have happily sacrificed potential speed for tough tires. I am terrified of having a flat and tend to shy away from using my race wheels because of it. I think I will suck it up for Saturday, though, put the race wheels on, and just pray to the flat tire gods. This is a good race for me to use them because I have no expectations since my training has not been all that consistent and focused.

2009-06-04 8:49 AM

Hi Karen,

I would like to know, which book do you recommend to read for a first triathlon?
Thanks!

Patricia
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD Rss Feed  

of 11