BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-04-29 4:34 PM
in reply to: #2118990

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Subject: RE: kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!!
kenaxford - 2009-04-29 4:00 PM

great questions.  Based on the things you asked about, I will list the things that I think are most important when comparing gained speed per dollar spent.

1.  Aero bars and a bike fit.  (they have to go together)

2. tri suit - saved time in transition along with better hydrodynamics and aerodynamics

3.  wetsuit - full suit only (no johns) go with mid level or higher, it's worth the extra money.

4.  aero helmet

5.  tri bike

I've been riding on the tops of the handlebars mostly (as opposed to the curved underneath part).  I know it's more aero underneath, I'm working on it...but - for  a bikefit, would they be fitting me to the underneath or if I put clip on aerobars or would the fit be the same, just resting on my elbows vs holding below??

For trisuit abc's, you would be wearing that from start to finish right?  Do you put bike shorts on top for the bike part or anything or just hammer through? 

Wetsuit - it's Maine.  Water's always cold.  Is it worth the investment for such a short swim or does it turn you into aquaman?  And finally, do racers wear the trisuit under the wetsuit for the swim, then ditch the wetsuit for the rest? 

boy, all these questions just create more questions don't they? 

Thanks for the guidance !

2009-04-29 5:40 PM
in reply to: #2119229

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Mainer22 - 2009-04-29 3:34 PM
kenaxford - 2009-04-29 4:00 PM

I've been riding on the tops of the handlebars mostly (as opposed to the curved underneath part).  I know it's more aero underneath, I'm working on it...but - for  a bikefit, would they be fitting me to the underneath or if I put clip on aerobars or would the fit be the same, just resting on my elbows vs holding below??

For trisuit abc's, you would be wearing that from start to finish right?  Do you put bike shorts on top for the bike part or anything or just hammer through? 

Wetsuit - it's Maine.  Water's always cold.  Is it worth the investment for such a short swim or does it turn you into aquaman?  And finally, do racers wear the trisuit under the wetsuit for the swim, then ditch the wetsuit for the rest? 

boy, all these questions just create more questions don't they? 

Thanks for the guidance !

the bike fit should fit you to your aero bars.  it will be a little comprimise on both handleing and aerodynamics.  (as a road bike is truely set up to handle good and tri bike is truely set up to be aero)  the road bike with aero bars will be a little of both. 

The tri suit is worn all the way thoruh the race.  you should not have to touch your clothin ocne you start.  There are 2 options, a one pice or a 2 piece.  1 pieces are typically faster due to hydro and aerodynamics.  The shorts of a tri suit will have a small fleece lining or something similar for a little cushion on the bike that won't hold water while your running.  (no body likes a diaper while they run)  Check out the Fast-Tri sports merchandise page.  it will give you an idea of what the different tri gear looks like. http://www.fast-tri.com/merchandise.htm

A wetsuit is a good investment I would wear it any time the temperature is cold enough to be legal.  I have a feeling you would not be comfortable without one which would slow you down because you would not be abel to warm up.  It really does help even for a sprint distance due to increaed boyancy and increased hydrodynamics.  You would wear your tri suit on underneath the suit and just strip off the suit once your done with the swim in T1.  Quick and easy.

2009-04-29 10:50 PM
in reply to: #2082508

houston
Man I am exhausted.  Did a spinnerval workout this morning and I have been dead all day.  don't know how I am going to gt up in the morning.  I don't know if any of you have tried spinnervals.  I have really improved my bike with them.  This past weekend I went on my LBS group ride.  Usually I stay at the middle of the pack buit for the first time I stepped it up and hung with the fast roadies.  I was always drafting them which made it easier but believe me the pack can get away from you and when that wind hits you find yourself way behind.  I would have to sprint to catch up and thats where the spinnervals have helped.  But they are definitely the hardest workout I do.

I have also been doing more intervals running.  I felt like I only had one speed and the intervals have shown me how  to run faster.  Nike + has some great downloadable playlists with great music and a coach's voice in the background leading you through an interval workout.  I recommed the improving your endurance.

Thanks Ken for the advice.  I was just bidding on ebay on some Zipp606.  It started at $1000 and I was salivating but it quickly went up to prices that were too close to a new set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sElYG7LmUU - for motivation

Garth
"Impossible is a dare"

2009-04-30 7:08 AM

Wow, Ken, for the first time in a long, long time I am truly exhausted! Last night (after some sprint runs during lunch) I went to a high impact aerobics class and then some strength training. Half of the way through the aerobic class, I felt tired, heavy, and sluggish. As you know, I spent the better part of nearly three decades as a soldier, so physical fitness is nothing new but last night I felt the strain. Maybe it's just because I'm nearly 49 and just feeling the wear and tear of those many years; I guess a body don't last forever, eh? Nonetheless, it's a tired in a good way...slept like a baby last night! Anyone else feel like that at times?
2009-04-30 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

I feel like that often.  If you look at my logs, you will see those are the days that I take off.  I have learned (for me) that means to to take a day off because my body needs to recover.  (Particularly as i get older)  The program I develop for myslef has planned rest days, but it's rare that I actually take that day off.  It ends up being some other day that I just feel blah !!!

I have coached a number of military guys, and they almost always have a hard time taking enough recovery.  I have to re-iterate often that the body is only getting faster and stronger while you rest.  workouts only break the body down.  Keep that in mind.

2009-05-01 12:14 PM
in reply to: #2119941

User image

New user
What is a spinnerval workout?

2009-05-01 12:55 PM

houston
Spiinerval is a trainer workout with your bike.  Coach Troy takes you through several high intensity intervals that work on high cadence spinning alternating with brute strength series.  You switch gears to increase intensity.  Excellent.  There are a lot of videos, I just use the first one called no slackers.  I swear it has improved my bike tremendously.
2009-05-01 5:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

What up guys,

I know it's a long treck for most of you, but I wanted to invite any of you out to the Buffalo Creek XTERRA.  It takes place on June 20th.  I will be putting on a free clinic and course pre-ride 2 weeks prior on June 6th.  I will aslo be doing a question and answer session Friday night before the race (June 19th)  The race will be a fun weekend and it's a beautiful course.  I will be camping Friday night and maybe Saturday night too.

Again, I know it's a long ways, but just thought I would throw it out there.  It would be fun to have some of my BT'rs in the house.

oh yeah,  there is a full XTERRA as well as a sport (sprint) course.  There is also a kids race.  Post race food is good and includes rocky road ice cream!!!  Good raffle prizes (including a free month of coaching from yours trulySo come one, come all!!!

2009-05-03 2:40 AM

User image

Hey guys, i just updated my planned races for the year. as of right now there is only one that i am registered for. i plan on doing at least 2 sprints in preparation for my big race.
2009-05-03 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2126206

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

mouseman - 2009-05-03 1:40 AM Hey guys, i just updated my planned races for the year. as of right now there is only one that i am registered for. i plan on doing at least 2 sprints in preparation for my big race.

will you be living in Canada by then, or will you be traveling for that race?  (you made it sound like Canada was your home, but you were in Austrailia for a long stay)  Have you done that distance before?

2009-05-03 6:35 PM
in reply to: #2126566

User image

I will be back in Canada in July and the race is in Ottawa, just an hour from my hometown. I have not done the distance before, but last year i did the half-iron race on the same course. I also did the sprint race that was supposed to be the course but then they changed it. I'm getting excited actually and starting to tinker with my diet a little bit more. I'm hoping to start updating my nutritional info on BT everyday. Right now when i go to spin my knee hurts. I've been to a doctors about it before and they tell me its patellar tendonitis. What I'm doing to avoid pain now is keep spin workouts short, apply ice, stretch after pool, bike and run sessions and im trying to strengthen the muscles around the joint. If you have any advice or tips for stretching that'd be great (i'm not really that flexible and after my last yoga attempt walking was an issue for a few days).

I have been in Australia for a long stay and i get back to canada on the 6th of july and i get my cycling group 3 days after i get back (which should be long enough to get over the jet lag.... I hope)

2009-05-03 9:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

to be honost, i would think a physical therepist would be your best bet for rehap, but I know that's expensive. 

From personal experieance with some mild tendonitas, a foam roller helped me tons.  I would roll the area above and below the joint for a few minutes each day.  I would also spend a lot of time stretching every day post workout after I cooled down for a bit.  (muscles were still warm, but not tight from the workout)  lastly, I soaked in warm baths.  I know that is contrary to the current popular belief, but it worked for me.  I know the cold water is supposed tohelp reduce swelling and aid recovery, but it was the opposite for me.  (A warm bath and a coke would go a long ways for me)

I would try the foam roller.  You can get one at a sports sre for about 15 bucks and they will have a dvd with it to show you different methods of use.

I really hope that works out for you.  I know how frustrating that can be. 

Edited by kenaxford 2009-05-03 9:10 PM
2009-05-05 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Subject: Swimming
Ken, couple of questions about swim training.  I've read several threads here on BT about swimming "10x 100 on x:xx" where you swim the 100, then rest for however long until your next start time.  I tried it this morning and I used 2:10, as I am typically in the 1:40-45 range per 100 yards now and figured the whole point of this training routine is to give yourself a short break in between each interval....How much of a break?  I did 11, maybe could have gotten to 15 if I wanted to really pummel myself

Also, I bought some Zoomers.  Swam some laps with just kicking and holding a board and then I swam some laps doing normal freestyle with the zoomers on.  Other than making me feel like I'm a swimming god, do these things help with building a good kick?  In other words, how useful are they really?
2009-05-05 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2119941

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
gpdtx - 2009-04-29 11:50 PM Nike + has some great downloadable playlists with great music and a coach's voice in the background leading you through an interval workout.  I recommed the improving your endurance.

I'm self motivated for swim and bike training, but require all the help I can get for run training.  Do you have a link to where I can find the above?  Thanks !
2009-05-05 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2131116

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
Subject: RE: Swimming

Mainer22 - 2009-05-05 9:13 AM Ken, couple of questions about swim training.  I've read several threads here on BT about swimming "10x 100 on x:xx" where you swim the 100, then rest for however long until your next start time.  I tried it this morning and I used 2:10, as I am typically in the 1:40-45 range per 100 yards now and figured the whole point of this training routine is to give yourself a short break in between each interval....How much of a break?  I did 11, maybe could have gotten to 15 if I wanted to really pummel myself

Also, I bought some Zoomers.  Swam some laps with just kicking and holding a board and then I swam some laps doing normal freestyle with the zoomers on.  Other than making me feel like I'm a swimming god, do these things help with building a good kick?  In other words, how useful are they really?

Regarding rest intervals:  I hate to be generic on this one, but it depends. (I don't feel there is a good answer without coaching you for a session and knowing the specific purpose of that workout)  Examples:  If you are doing speedwork, then you may want a shorter break than the 30 seconds you are getting.  However, if you are focusing on drills and technique, then you would want more than 30 seconds allowing you to be well rested so you can concentrate on your form.  Also, 30 seconds to you and I might not be long enough for our bodies to recover, while a well conditioned athlete could recover well in half that time. 

Regarding the swim fins:  I find them useful for 2 things - 1.  They can help swimmers learn proper form of kicking techinque if they don't know how.  2.  They can help maintian speed during drills so you maintain proper feel of the water.  I think the biggest thing is to use them periodically and not all the time.  Ask yourself why are you wearing them before you use them and keep that in mind for the whole period of use.

Edited by kenaxford 2009-05-05 10:55 AM
2009-05-05 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2131205

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Subject: RE: Swimming
kenaxford - 2009-05-05 11:48 AM

Mainer22 - 2009-05-05 9:13 AM Ken, couple of questions about swim training.  I've read several threads here on BT about swimming "10x 100 on x:xx" where you swim the 100, then rest for however long until your next start time.  I tried it this morning and I used 2:10, as I am typically in the 1:40-45 range per 100 yards now and figured the whole point of this training routine is to give yourself a short break in between each interval....How much of a break?  I did 11, maybe could have gotten to 15 if I wanted to really pummel myself

Regarding rest intervals:  I hate to be generic on this one, but it depends. (I don't feel there is a good answer without coaching you for a session and knowing the specific purpose of that workout)  Examples:  If you are doing speedwork, then you may want a shorter break than the 30 seconds you are getting.  However, if you are focusing on drills and technique, then you would want more than 30 seconds allowing you to be well rested so you can concentrate on your form.  Also, 30 seconds to you and I might not be long enough for our bodies to recover, while a well conditioned athlete could recover well in half that time. 

Regarding the swim fins:  I find them useful for 2 things - 1.  They can help swimmers learn proper form of kicking techinque if they don't know how.  2.  They can help maintian speed during drills so you maintain proper feel of the water.  I think the biggest thing is to use them periodically and not all the time.  Ask yourself why are you wearing them before you use them and keep that in mind for the whole period of use.

OK got it, thanks

Would you say that this type of swim workout is a common way to build speed and endurance?  When asking myself "what am I trying to do?", that is the answer. 

2009-05-06 9:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

the swim workout you were performing is commonly used by competitive swimmers to build speed. However, most age group triathletes need to focus on technique first as they will get faster by becoming more efficient. It is necessary to first ahve great technique and good efficiency through the water so you can swim faster with less effort. By practicing technique a majority of the time, this also creates good muscle memory instead of reinforcing bad habits. Once you are efficient in the water, then you can start doing speed workouts.

Again, I'm generalizing since I can't see you swim, but I would say that 95% of age group triathletes would improve more and get faster by working on technique and drills a majority of the time. As an example, I consider myself a strong swimmer and usually finish among the top swimmers in triathlons, but I still do at least 400 yards of drilling every workout.

Am I addressing your question, or just babbling ?!?!?

Edited by kenaxford 2009-05-06 9:31 PM
2009-05-07 6:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
every little bit of knowledge helps me improve, so feel free to babble away !!

I did swim drills today - some just kicking, some swimming with no kick and a pull buoy....silly question but where do you put the buoy, upper legs or lower?  I had it upper and sometimes felt like my ankles were slowly sinking?  I don't know, it was the first time doing that type of thing so I guess it's an adjustment.  I also watched a bunch of videos and tried to work in a twobeat kick as opposed to my standard continuous flutter kick that is more natural to me.  Didn't work out for me, so I guess i'll be working on that too.
2009-05-08 11:11 AM

User image

New user
Subject: no injury

Not wanting to get injured in the run sessions, should I run on trails/grass instead of the road for the first few months?   I haven't run like this in years... 

2009-05-09 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2137464

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Mainer22 - 2009-05-07 5:00 PM every little bit of knowledge helps me improve, so feel free to babble away !!

I did swim drills today - some just kicking, some swimming with no kick and a pull buoy....silly question but where do you put the buoy, upper legs or lower?  I had it upper and sometimes felt like my ankles were slowly sinking?  I don't know, it was the first time doing that type of thing so I guess it's an adjustment.  I also watched a bunch of videos and tried to work in a twobeat kick as opposed to my standard continuous flutter kick that is more natural to me.  Didn't work out for me, so I guess i'll be working on that too.

The pull bouy does go in between your upper thighs.  That should hell you learn to relax your legs a little more so you don't feel like you have ot continuously flutter kick.  Rememebr to focus on one thing at a time.  Swimming can be overwhleming with all the little parts that make up a good swim stroke. 

2009-05-09 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2138818

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
Subject: RE: no injury

fire eagle - 2009-05-08 10:11 AM

Not wanting to get injured in the run sessions, should I run on trails/grass instead of the road for the first few months?   I haven't run like this in years... 

I try to run off road as much as possible for that reason.  If you have that opportunity, take advantage.  However, once you have a good running base down, start to incoprate a few short road runs.  Your connective tissue needs to slowly acclimate to the additional strain of being on the pavement.

2009-05-11 12:06 PM

Veteran
How did everyone's training go this weekend?

Mine went well with a 9 mile long run and a 35 mile long ride.  I am heading into a taper week with my first A race of the year this Sunday.  It will be the first time I've traveled for a race so that is exciting.  I was already getting fidgety this weekend thinking about tapering this week so by Friday the taper tantrums should be in full force.
2009-05-11 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2143523

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
trinity - 2009-05-11 1:06 PM How did everyone's training go this weekend?

Mine went well with a 9 mile long run and a 35 mile long ride.  I am heading into a taper week with my first A race of the year this Sunday.  It will be the first time I've traveled for a race so that is exciting.  I was already getting fidgety this weekend thinking about tapering this week so by Friday the taper tantrums should be in full force.

Good Luck this weekend!  Looking forward to hearing all about it
2009-05-11 5:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Subject: Note to Self: Lesson Learned You Dummy

OK so I'm following the BT 20 week training plan that allows each activity 3x per week training sessions, with gradual increases each week of no more than 10%.  I've also read, re-read, and re-re-read several threads that emphasize not increasing volume beyond 10%.........

Yesterday I'm jogging on the treadmill, 15 minutes in, and feel a POP (I also "think" I heard it?) in my lower left leg - looking at an anatomy diagram I'd say it's the outer soleus in my calf.  Causing me immediate pain, unable to run, barely able to stand and hobble off the treadmill.  Rest, lots of ICE, elevation, advil, and 24 hours later I'm no better.  Not too happy with the situation. 

Anyway, I'm looking at my training log for the past 2 weeks.  I increased my RUN volume 100%, I increased my SWIM volume 125%, and I increased my BIKE volume 20%.  So much for sticking to the plan, huh? 

Note to Self:  Lesson Learned You Dummy

2009-05-11 10:08 PM
in reply to: #2143523

User image

New user

Edited by fire eagle 2009-05-11 10:10 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!! Rss Feed  

of 11