BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DG's Group - We're FULL! 2010 here we come! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-12-28 11:32 PM
in reply to: #2557130

User image

Expert
Gilbert
Subject: RE: DG's Group - We're FULL! 2010 here we come!
Bike accident today.  In sling for a few days.  No broken bones just sore parts.  Report back soon.

2009-12-29 6:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
Sorry to hear that.  Heal up quick.
2009-12-29 7:38 AM
in reply to: #2581341

User image

Veteran
Auburn
~ AZ Sunshine ~ - 2009-12-29 12:32 AM Bike accident today.  In sling for a few days.  No broken bones just sore parts.  Report back soon.
WOW!  Glad you are ok (I think)  How long are you out?  How's the bike?  I hate to hear that.
2009-12-29 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2578411

User image

Veteran
Auburn
jsiegs - 2009-12-26 7:49 PM
irondg - 2009-12-26 5:58 PM I'm lookin at it tonight.  Hope to have some good feedback in the morning.  If you can get a rear view it would be great.  Not to get freaky, but what I would look for is how your hips are in position as you pedal.  Especially in a real low/hard gear.  It looks like there is a little sway in your body from the front, but a rear view would confirm or deny. 
You wanted it, you got it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CfTvCEOqqII shifted into a hard gear in the middle, you'll see when. Also, my trainer is built to rock back and forth and the front wheel is on a pivot, so its free to move, so I'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing for your purposes. Thanks again, looking forward to seeing how I can improve.
OK - after looking at all of the video I think the best thing to do is get a bike fit.  It looks like you are sitting too far back on the saddle which can hinder your quads and glutes from firing at the right times.  Also, your hips sway back and forth which might mean your seat might be too high (or low).  Both of these things might help contribute to cramping and "bike legs" when you transition into the run.  It also looks like you are not far enough forward in your aerobars.  But I like an aggressive set up so you might be fine, but with a potential change in seat fit you might find yourself a little more forward.  Also, it looks like you are pressing down on the pedal to get your speed.  Try and focus on the "pulling up" on the pedal for a while.  That will promote a smoother and faster pedal speed which equates to crushing your last year bike splits.  Finally, try and have your knees positioned so that they appear to "squeeze" your top tube.  It doesn't do anyone any good to be in their aero bars and then have their knees in the "bow leg" position while pedaling.  That works against the aerobar theory.  Stay low, and hug the bike to fight the wind.  Hope this little bit helps.  Sorry it took so long to respond. Traveling and 2 kids and training got in the way. 
2009-12-29 4:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Auburn
How's everyone feeling/training over the holidays?  I hope the weather is not keeping you down. 
2009-12-29 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2579678

User image

Veteran
Auburn
jsiegs - 2009-12-28 8:26 AM

Aaaarg...the pool heater at the Y I swim at is broken and has been for a week.  Long story short, yesterday I was forced to skip because the lifeguards said it was too cold and advised me not to even try.  While searching for a pool, I used up free trials at every local gym with a lap pool (some twice).  Any advice on dry land things I can do while I'm pool-less?  I'm really anal about missing workouts so this is testing my patience and need something to do in the meantime.  I belong to a gym with standard equipment and have a set of resistance bands at my disposal...

Thanks.

I too - am very anal about missing workouts.  It drives me freaking crazy.  This happened to me last year.  My pool's heater went out for two weeks.  I used a combination of resistance bands and leg extensions. That seemed to mimic the muscles used in the swim - and - believe it or not - just taking a break from the actual pool made me faster when I was able to get back in.

2009-12-30 7:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
So, we talked some on the heart rate topic, what good stuff does everyone have on interval training? 

Im going to start to incorporate this more into my training, so I have all sorts of information from a bunch of different places, but Im still trying to put it all together.  My swim workouts have been more on an interval plan, the bike workouts are next.  I got "workouts in a binder for indoor cycling" for Christmas, so I might try this first.  Anyone used the workouts from this book before and have an opinion either way on it?  Or any other great interval plans?
2009-12-30 8:29 AM

Still on the reduced holiday schedual. Should be back in full swing on Jan 2nd.

I have a race on Jan 1st. A little 5k called the resolution run. Start the year off right.
2009-12-30 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2581536

User image

Master
Baltimore
irondg - 2009-12-29 8:47 AM
irondg - 2009-12-26 5:58 PM I'm lookin at it tonight.  Hope to have some good feedback in the morning.  If you can get a rear view it would be great.  Not to get freaky, but what I would look for is how your hips are in position as you pedal.  Especially in a real low/hard gear.  It looks like there is a little sway in your body from the front, but a rear view would confirm or deny. 
You wanted it, you got it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CfTvCEOqqII shifted into a hard gear in the middle, you'll see when. Also, my trainer is built to rock back and forth and the front wheel is on a pivot, so its free to move, so I'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing for your purposes. Thanks again, looking forward to seeing how I can improve.
OK - after looking at all of the video I think the best thing to do is get a bike fit.  It looks like you are sitting too far back on the saddle which can hinder your quads and glutes from firing at the right times.  Also, your hips sway back and forth which might mean your seat might be too high (or low).  Both of these things might help contribute to cramping and "bike legs" when you transition into the run.  It also looks like you are not far enough forward in your aerobars.  But I like an aggressive set up so you might be fine, but with a potential change in seat fit you might find yourself a little more forward.  Also, it looks like you are pressing down on the pedal to get your speed.  Try and focus on the "pulling up" on the pedal for a while.  That will promote a smoother and faster pedal speed which equates to crushing your last year bike splits.  Finally, try and have your knees positioned so that they appear to "squeeze" your top tube.  It doesn't do anyone any good to be in their aero bars and then have their knees in the "bow leg" position while pedaling.  That works against the aerobar theory.  Stay low, and hug the bike to fight the wind.  Hope this little bit helps.  Sorry it took so long to respond. Traveling and 2 kids and training got in the way. 

Thanks for the info.  With my position on the saddle, do you mean I just need to sit farther forward on it, or that I need to slide the whole thing forward?  As for sitting forward I've had...*ahem*...issues with blood flow even with the cut away seats (both tri seat and regular road seats).  I'm hesitant on the expensive bike fit because I'm on a road bike, so I'll never get a good Tri fit.  I have a fast forward seat post and a tri saddle slid as far forward as possible.  I'm afraid I just can't get any more aggresive than that.  My issue is a combo of a short torso/long legs body with a Lemond frame who's geometry is working against me (long top tube).  I've been really torn, because I just spent a lot of money on that bike last Jan (which was a mistake in retrospect).  However, I just saw a 2008 Quintana Roo Lucero size L frame with wheels, bars and seat/post for $600 on craigslist and a SRAM Force TT build kit for $800 new online.  I don't know much about geometry, but do you think that would do the trick and does that seem like a decent deal?  I'm 6 foot 1, long legs, short torso, currently on a 57 Lemond, that is a little too long for me (however the seat post height is maxed out).  Anything I should think about/try out if I test ride it?  A bike shop sized me on a 56 Felt Tri frame, but it was a very quick sizing.  Sorry for hogging all your time with all the questions.

Thanks again.
2009-12-30 4:04 PM

The Tempuature for Jan 1st is forcast to be -30 c with the wind chill. It will be a cold race.
2009-12-30 6:48 PM

User image

Corpus Christi
Going good DG, the holidays were good for my body to recoup but also a bit stressful mentally... The weather here in south texas has been fabulous.  I have been doing alot of surfing lately and not enough swimming, surfing works out those muscles but you have the board to help float you.  I have been feeling pretty confident that im really going to kill this first sprint tri, my running has been getting better and better, my bike legs are great, i just need to get into some swimming and get my breathing dialed in.  I have spent alot of time in the water swimming and surfing, my crawl is pretty well refined, i really wanna log in some pool time though..overall i feel like this fall/winter has been the hardest i have ever trained in my life, i have a solid group of friends i work out with and we are all advancing , i have been trying to get them on BT too.  We push each other really hard, and we are all seeing the results just after a few months.
Hope everyone had a happy holiday
t

2009-12-31 8:49 AM

Good-by 2009 with all your acomplishments, hello 2010 with your new challenges. Its going to be a great year.
2009-12-31 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2583572

User image

Veteran
Auburn
vibratingp00 - 2009-12-30 8:54 AM So, we talked some on the heart rate topic, what good stuff does everyone have on interval training? 

Im going to start to incorporate this more into my training, so I have all sorts of information from a bunch of different places, but Im still trying to put it all together.  My swim workouts have been more on an interval plan, the bike workouts are next.  I got "workouts in a binder for indoor cycling" for Christmas, so I might try this first.  Anyone used the workouts from this book before and have an opinion either way on it?  Or any other great interval plans?
I've used that book and it has some great workouts.  When I get back to ATL and can pull some workouts off of my home computer I will do it and post.  Please remind me.  Good luck with the intervals.
2009-12-31 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2583687

User image

Veteran
Auburn
jsiegs - 2009-12-30 9:43 AM
irondg - 2009-12-29 8:47 AM

Thanks for the info.  With my position on the saddle, do you mean I just need to sit farther forward on it, or that I need to slide the whole thing forward?  As for sitting forward I've had...*ahem*...issues with blood flow even with the cut away seats (both tri seat and regular road seats).  I'm hesitant on the expensive bike fit because I'm on a road bike, so I'll never get a good Tri fit.  I have a fast forward seat post and a tri saddle slid as far forward as possible.  I'm afraid I just can't get any more aggresive than that.  My issue is a combo of a short torso/long legs body with a Lemond frame who's geometry is working against me (long top tube).  I've been really torn, because I just spent a lot of money on that bike last Jan (which was a mistake in retrospect).  However, I just saw a 2008 Quintana Roo Lucero size L frame with wheels, bars and seat/post for $600 on craigslist and a SRAM Force TT build kit for $800 new online.  I don't know much about geometry, but do you think that would do the trick and does that seem like a decent deal?  I'm 6 foot 1, long legs, short torso, currently on a 57 Lemond, that is a little too long for me (however the seat post height is maxed out).  Anything I should think about/try out if I test ride it?  A bike shop sized me on a 56 Felt Tri frame, but it was a very quick sizing.  Sorry for hogging all your time with all the questions.

Thanks again.
You're not hogging time.  That's what I am here for.  Let me chew on your comments for a while.  My first reaction is that someone that is 6' 1 should not be on a 57 frame.  I am 5"9 and on a 56.  That might be a reason for the cramps. 
2009-12-31 11:17 AM
in reply to: #2585160

User image

Veteran
Auburn
tizon - 2009-12-30 7:48 PM Going good DG, the holidays were good for my body to recoup but also a bit stressful mentally... The weather here in south texas has been fabulous.  I have been doing alot of surfing lately and not enough swimming, surfing works out those muscles but you have the board to help float you.  I have been feeling pretty confident that im really going to kill this first sprint tri, my running has been getting better and better, my bike legs are great, i just need to get into some swimming and get my breathing dialed in.  I have spent alot of time in the water swimming and surfing, my crawl is pretty well refined, i really wanna log in some pool time though..overall i feel like this fall/winter has been the hardest i have ever trained in my life, i have a solid group of friends i work out with and we are all advancing , i have been trying to get them on BT too.  We push each other really hard, and we are all seeing the results just after a few months.
Hope everyone had a happy holiday
t
Awesome.  I have no doubt you'll crush your first sprint and then sign up for several more.  You'll get the bug!!!!
2009-12-31 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2585961

User image

Veteran
Auburn
cat grimstad - 2009-12-31 9:49 AM Good-by 2009 with all your acomplishments, hello 2010 with your new challenges. Its going to be a great year.
  Go get em! 

2009-12-31 11:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Auburn
Happy New Year everyone!!!!!  Here comes 2010!
2009-12-31 9:12 PM

Veteran

hope everyone is having a good year end.  I am ready to tackle 2010.

Sorry to be MIA but I am still out of the country and will resume my training on Jan 4th.  They closed down the pool here and it's become unsafe to run back home, so my training has suffered.

I wish you all the best in 2010 and hope you have a great tri season!!

2010-01-01 7:20 AM
in reply to: #2583656

User image

Veteran
Auburn
cat grimstad - 2009-12-30 9:29 AM Still on the reduced holiday schedual. Should be back in full swing on Jan 2nd.

I have a race on Jan 1st. A little 5k called the resolution run. Start the year off right.
How did your 5k go today?
2010-01-02 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2587415

We lived. With the wind chill it was -40. My running partner had problems with dizzyness. I think because she was partying the night before. But we finnished in 34 min. I was fun. Starting the year off right.
2010-01-02 11:58 AM

Damon Yesterday I did one hour of weight training and cardio. Today I am very sore. What should I do. Stretch? Walk run? I can't swim today no pool time. Yoga? I feel like I want to work through this sorness. To make it go away faster. Should I do more weights? (the hair of the dog so to speak)

2010-01-02 5:39 PM
in reply to: #2589227

User image

Veteran
Auburn
cat grimstad - 2010-01-02 12:58 PM Damon Yesterday I did one hour of weight training and cardio. Today I am very sore. What should I do. Stretch? Walk run? I can't swim today no pool time. Yoga? I feel like I want to work through this sorness. To make it go away faster. Should I do more weights? (the hair of the dog so to speak)
stretch and maybe get on the trainer or bike at the gym to get some blood flowing.  That works for me.
2010-01-02 5:40 PM
in reply to: #2588994

User image

Veteran
Auburn
cat grimstad - 2010-01-02 10:01 AM We lived. With the wind chill it was -40. My running partner had problems with dizzyness. I think because she was partying the night before. But we finnished in 34 min. I was fun. Starting the year off right.
Good for you. 
2010-01-02 7:33 PM

Veteran
Outside B'more
I'm checking in! HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

Didn't make the Celtic Solstice 5 miler due to our humongous snowstorm of 23 inches over that weekend. I woke up at 6am, looked out my window and knew I'd never make it out of my development to downtown Baltimore. Some of the local diehards made it but I didn't make it out of my house until the next afternoon.

Been sporadically running because of the weather. I need to use the treadmill if the conditions on the road are bad but I really hate treadmills because I do interval running and the treadmills at my gym aren't set up for treadmills. I'll have to figure out some speed work or try to lengthen my runs to get more distance in. Stop making excuses and the like!

With the new year brought a new cold for me so I've been nursing that but feel like I should be able to make it to the gym tomorrow for a light workout since I've been slacking off over the holidays. Getting excited for a new year and a new racing season!
2010-01-03 2:18 AM

User image

Expert
Gilbert
Hey everyone.  I'm back but not 100% yet.  I'm sore as hell!  This was my first bike accident and I'm very thankful I wan't going down hill at 35 MPH!  I took a turn too fast and hit a brick subdivision wall in the Blvd.  Yes, hit the curb and straight into the wall.  UGH!  I blew my tire and smashed the side of my helmet as I turned my face away from the wall.  As a result, my shoulder took the full force of the wall.  I was a mile from my house and I couldn't get ahold of anyone.  I put my chain back on my bike and walked my bike the whole way home.  When I got home everyone said I looked like crap.  I decided I should take a shower and regroup.  I knew things were bad when I couldn't take my clothes off.  I couldn't lift my shoulder.  My MIL had to come in my bedroom and undress me.  Embarrassing!  Everyone said I should go to urgent care and get checked out.  I was going to try to sleep it off but I was in too much pain.  Went to Urgent care and they said I seperated my A/C joint.  2nd Degree seperation.  I didn't realize it at the time but I busted my knee.  The shoulder was the biggest pain but as the day moved on I realized my knee was big and swollen.  I also had a huge bruise on the opposite thigh.  What a mess.  They gave me vicodin and muscle relaxers.  It helped but I was totally out of it.  I've been off the meds except when sleeping the past couple of nights.  Still in pain but I want to see how a walk/job goes in the morning.  I have a half marathon in a couple of weeks I'd like to do if possilbe.  

I was totally getting into my HR monitor too.  I think I was actually trying to get my HR up when I missed my turn.  On top of it all I stratched up my new watch!!  UGH. 

I'm hopefull I can get myself healthy for my March race!!  I'm VERY nervous about the swim!!   
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DG's Group - We're FULL! 2010 here we come! Rss Feed  

of 15