BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-12-21 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2571444

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED
KSH - 2009-12-21 1:34 PM
Big_D - 2009-12-21 10:24 AM
KSH - 2009-12-20 10:33 PM
Big_D - 2009-12-20 5:42 PM Hey Karen and Group,

After some thought, debate, taunting, and Karen's public announcement, ha, I am going to jump in the group too. I met Karen near the end of last season and quickly figured out she had both a wealth of knowledge and talent.
Thanks Derek and welcome to the group. I appreciate the kind words... and might I add... if I do in fact have a wealth of knowledge.. why are you tweeking the half marathon training plan I sent you? HUH? To everyone else, I know Derek fairly well so I'm going to take some liberties and give him h@ll!

Now if I accepted your workout and didn't challenge it, what fun would that be?  I know I might make it worse, but I might make it better.  In the end, some new knowledge will be learned.  Plus I like how you get all worked up, haha.

I haven't broken it down yet, but for the next month, I will be switching out the hill repeats with track work (my knee doesn't like the uphill stuff right now, but I do remember way back when I did do hill repeats in my former life, they do work).  I will probably be cutting a little off some distances and making the pace a little faster.
I agree with the lack of hill repeats for you. Especially with your knee. Please keep in mind that Cowtown is hilly. So at some point you will want to make sure you are OK with hills... even if it's just walking up them. I strongly advise against only running up to 8 miles in training for a half marathon. Bad plan all the way around. At least go to 10 or 11 miles. And get to breaking it all down, because right now you have 11 weeks left to train for Cowtown.

Ok, maybe I will run 10 miles, once, ahhahaha.  I do have some hills on my 5 mile route, I will check my garmin info and let you take a peek so you know that I actually do some.  Just not ready for hardcore repeats quite yet (I am actually looking forward to them).

Ok, on a more serious note, how should I determine my race pace for that run?  Do you use the aid stations, or do you bring along your nutrition/water on the halfs?

2009-12-21 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2570434

User image

Master

Here is a link to the training plan I'm trying to follow.  The long runs are my non-negotiable days, but I don't usually ever get all of the shorter runs...I do try though and know that they are important.  The long runs this weekend and possibly next just don't really have a chance of happening with traveling and family and such.  I did get 15 this past weekend instead of 14 (don't know if 1 mile really makes a difference or not).  Is this going to kill me, or am I still far enough away from this marathon to train appropriately and survive it?!?!

2009-12-21 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2557497

User image

Master
2009-12-21 5:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Hi everyone!

We just got back from snowboarding in Quebec, sounds like everyone is trying as hard as possible to stick to workouts this week with the holidays fast approaching. I'm still really sore from snowboarding, I'm a newbie at it so spent a lot of time on the mountain yesterday on my backside. We had a fun time and I definitely worked out some muscles that don't get used much during S/B/R!
2009-12-21 6:07 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Ok, on a more serious note, how should I determine my race pace for that run? Do you use the aid stations, or do you bring along your nutrition/water on the halfs?

You will determine what your race pace is... once you start training. After you do a 10-11-12 mile run in training, you know what you are capable of.

If you are running 10 minute miles on your long runs, you probably aren't going to pull off a 9 minute mile on race day. You might pull off a 9:40 though.

It's all about getting in tune with your body and learning what is an easy... go all day pace for you... and what is a .. I can only hold this for 4-6 miles pace.

I personally carry a 10oz bottle that straps to my hand. I hate drinking from those cups while I run and I take 10 minutes to eat a gel. I need water with my gel and I don't want to wait till an aid station to eat a gel.

For each person it's different though. Some like not having to carry anything and stop at the aid stations for water.

I also carry all my gels as most half's will not offer gels at the aid stations.

2009-12-21 6:12 PM
in reply to: #2571717

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
crews - 2009-12-21 3:33 PM

Here is a link to the training plan I'm trying to follow.  The long runs are my non-negotiable days, but I don't usually ever get all of the shorter runs...I do try though and know that they are important.  The long runs this weekend and possibly next just don't really have a chance of happening with traveling and family and such.  I did get 15 this past weekend instead of 14 (don't know if 1 mile really makes a difference or not).  Is this going to kill me, or am I still far enough away from this marathon to train appropriately and survive it?!?!

So it look likes you are missing 2, 16 mile runs. Will it absolutely kill you? No. But it's going to put a huge dent in your training.

Basically you are missing two long runs that set you up for a recovery week and then 14 miles, 16 miles and so on.

Is there anyway you can get ONE of those 16 mile runs in? Maybe skip a shorter run session to put the longer one in there? Get up early before everyone is awake and pound it out?

I have seen on the boards where people talk about splitting up a long run between the morning and evening. While not ideal, it might be a way for you to work in 16 miles?

I really encourage you to get ONE of those in if you can.

2009-12-21 6:12 PM
in reply to: #2571862

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
calimavs - 2009-12-21 5:23 PM

Hi everyone!

We just got back from snowboarding in Quebec, sounds like everyone is trying as hard as possible to stick to workouts this week with the holidays fast approaching. I'm still really sore from snowboarding, I'm a newbie at it so spent a lot of time on the mountain yesterday on my backside. We had a fun time and I definitely worked out some muscles that don't get used much during S/B/R!

FUN! Great stuff!

It's always fun to do something you don't usually do to burn calories!

2009-12-21 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2571862

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
calimavs - 2009-12-21 5:23 PM Hi everyone!

Awww! I am so jealous! I have always wanted to go snowboarding. Awesome job trying something new and have a great time (sounds like you already are )
2009-12-21 9:16 PM
in reply to: #2570055

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
"I also started biking with Tania, she has an amazing focus and insane drive when she works out, it is contagious."

"I have a different view, but also very open to other ideas. I will challenge you and myself, hopefully making the result even better. Plus, if you get upset with me, you can throw some kick drills in the swim and get me to cramp up and suffer...haha "

Wooohooo! I totally got a shout out.....HOLLA! Thanks Derek.....just for that, on our next swim, I'll let you use BOTH legs on kick drills, HA!

We are really lucky to have Derek in the group. One of the most genuine and postive person I've met. He also has a great passion and knowledge for this sport that he is always willing to share. Glad Karen let you fanagle your way in
2009-12-21 10:19 PM

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH

I had fun riding the Expresso fitness cycle at the gym tonight.  I took a nice easy course  - mostly flat with a blue sky and lined with banana palms.  About as far from Cincinnati as possible!  The screen made it fun but the bike fit left a lot to be desired.  Gotta work on that!  Also, I just used my running shoes and got tingly toes after.

I could see the other riders on the course with me.  Wish we could all ride together sometime.

My first brick since my last tri in August.  Love that jelly legs feeling!  No running pain though, so that's good and a pleasant change from end of season.

I found a nice book with intro tri workouts for people already established in one sport:  Your First Triathlon by Joe Friel
http://www.amazon.com/Your-First-Triathlon-Joe-Friel/dp/1931382859

I used it last year since I was already strong in swimming but a total novice elsewhere.

2009-12-21 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2572210

User image

Veteran
tnguyen1 - 2009-12-21 9:16 PM"I also started biking with Tania, she has an amazing focus and insane drive when she works out, it is contagious."

"I have a different view, but also very open to other ideas. I will challenge you and myself, hopefully making the result even better. Plus, if you get upset with me, you can throw some kick drills in the swim and get me to cramp up and suffer...haha "

Wooohooo! I totally got a shout out.....HOLLA! Thanks Derek.....just for that, on our next swim, I'll let you use BOTH legs on kick drills, HA!

We are really lucky to have Derek in the group. One of the most genuine and postive person I've met. He also has a great passion and knowledge for this sport that he is always willing to share. Glad Karen let you fanagle your way in
Now I feel like the author that keeps checking his book at the library and it actually got checked out, lol. Thanks for reading that long drawn out boring stuff...hahaha 2 legs, you are going to spoil me

2009-12-22 3:14 PM

User image

New user
Sandusky
Hey everyone, I hope everyone is have a nice week.  I am having a busy week. A mix of work and fun stuff...but starting tonight I am off until Sunday and excited to relax and spend time with family.  I also hope to get in a few workouts (Wednesday and Saturday).  I'm traveling to my hometown (Sandusky, OH) so I plan on using some free guest passes to my parents brand-spankin-new gym. 

Karen and Big D- thanks for the inspires.  I haven't decided on a training plan which is why my log is blank.  It won't stay that way, I promise!

Last season I did a 20 week 2x balanced training plan I found on this site.  I'm not sure if I should do the same plan or try something different? I just got the Gale Bernhardt book "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes" from the library so I plan to check training plans out in the book and then make a decision. I have a limited membership so I don't think I can import/upload the training plan, but I'm not sure.  Any thoughts or ideas?  Last year I bought a calendar with nice multi-colored stickers and planned my workouts with that.

Well, I'd better get back to work.  Happy Holidays!

2009-12-22 10:43 PM
in reply to: #2573928

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
Erin - Last year I had a free (limited) membership.  What I did was build a table in my Dashboard section that showed my workout plans for the week copied out of the book.  As I did them, I'd change their font to the crossed out one:  swim 30 min, for instance.  Or skipped if I was bad.  There was probably a better way to do it, but it worked for me and kept me accountable.
2009-12-22 10:50 PM

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH

I swam tonight after work, a series of 100's with 10 seconds rest between.  It was depressing to see how much speed I've lost after a few months off.  Oh well, slow and stubborn'll get me back eventually...

My nether regions are still sore from the evil bike seat at the gym.  I loved the computer bike course but I'm going to have to improve the fit a lot to be able to ride *that* machine very often.  I'll probably try again on the 24th.

They have recumbent machines as well.  Will those work out the same muscles or do I need to stick to the traditional upright fitness cycle?  I'm thinking their seat might be less painful...

I'm planning a dawn neighborhood run tomorrow.

Cheryl

2009-12-23 2:03 AM
in reply to: #2574573

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
lovesreading - 2009-12-22 10:50 PM

I swam tonight after work, a series of 100's with 10 seconds rest between.  It was depressing to see how much speed I've lost after a few months off.  Oh well, slow and stubborn'll get me back eventually...

My nether regions are still sore from the evil bike seat at the gym.  I loved the computer bike course but I'm going to have to improve the fit a lot to be able to ride *that* machine very often.  I'll probably try again on the 24th.

They have recumbent machines as well.  Will those work out the same muscles or do I need to stick to the traditional upright fitness cycle?  I'm thinking their seat might be less painful...

I'm planning a dawn neighborhood run tomorrow.

Cheryl

Do you have bike shorts you can wear on the bike?

Stick to the upright bike, it will simulate riding a road bike more closely. While the other seat will be less painful, it won't be the same workout.

Great job on swimming and running!

2009-12-23 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2571921

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
KSH - 2009-12-21 4:07 PM
I personally carry a 10oz bottle that straps to my hand. I hate drinking from those cups while I run and I take 10 minutes to eat a gel. I need water with my gel and I don't want to wait till an aid station to eat a gel. For each person it's different though. Some like not having to carry anything and stop at the aid stations for water. I also carry all my gels as most half's will not offer gels at the aid stations.
I love my handheld water bottle. I couldn't run a race without it! In fact, if I head out on a run longer than three miles I always make sure I have it. So, I second the hand held water bottle notion!

2009-12-23 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
I apologize if the formatting of some of my posts is odd. I just looked at my above post, and I must have dome something strange. I'll get the hang of it eventually!
2009-12-23 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
I have a big question for Karen and the group... How do you strength train, and how important do you feel it is? I hate strength training. It bores me. I no longer have a gym membership, but do have a ton of equipment at home. Living in California allows me to workout outdoors year round, so I just can't stand being inside a gym. When I'm at home, I have almost no motivation to do any strength training activities. I know having a strong core is important, but aside from that, how necessary is the other stuff? I downloaded some great strength training workouts for triathletes from 's website, yet I have little motivation to do them. What are your thoughts?
2009-12-23 1:38 PM
in reply to: #2575145

User image

Veteran
justtrichris - 2009-12-23 10:05 AM I have a big question for Karen and the group... How do you strength train, and how important do you feel it is? I hate strength training. It bores me. I no longer have a gym membership, but do have a ton of equipment at home. Living in California allows me to workout outdoors year round, so I just can't stand being inside a gym. When I'm at home, I have almost no motivation to do any strength training activities. I know having a strong core is important, but aside from that, how necessary is the other stuff? I downloaded some great strength training workouts for triathletes from 's website, yet I have little motivation to do them. What are your thoughts?

For me it is not that important. 

Let me explain (calm down Karen, haha).

Would it help performance?  Absolutely.  Would it make me stronger?  Yes of course.  But my goals of triathlons is to have fun and obtain personal goals (not necessarily podium finishes).  So for me, I don't do it (although I know I could use it and it would benefit me).

If you are happy with your performance and prefer doing training outside, then do what you enjoy.  If you want some strength training, I am sure there are some combination of things you could do at a park outside (such as push ups, pull ups,sit ups, etc).  But if you want to peak your performance and be as fast as possible, you might have to bite the bullet and incorporate some indoor weight training.

So now to contradict myself completely, I am going to be doing some weights this season.  1. To help Karen get her PT certification.  2. Look and feel better (yes totally self absorbed there). 3. To kick Karen and Tania's booty in the pool (they are pretty darn fast)
2009-12-23 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2575112

User image

Veteran
justtrichris - 2009-12-23 9:50 AM I apologize if the formatting of some of my posts is odd. I just looked at my above post, and I must have dome something strange. I'll get the hang of it eventually!

No problem, happens a lot.  Took me about 20 minutes to get a post earlier right.  Probably just typed over or moved one of the brackets "[" on quote.

Edited by Big_D 2009-12-23 1:46 PM
2009-12-23 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2575592

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Big_D - 2009-12-23 1:38 PM

justtrichris - 2009-12-23 10:05 AM I have a big question for Karen and the group... How do you strength train, and how important do you feel it is? I hate strength training. It bores me. I no longer have a gym membership, but do have a ton of equipment at home. Living in California allows me to workout outdoors year round, so I just can't stand being inside a gym. When I'm at home, I have almost no motivation to do any strength training activities. I know having a strong core is important, but aside from that, how necessary is the other stuff? I downloaded some great strength training workouts for triathletes from 's website, yet I have little motivation to do them. What are your thoughts?

For me it is not that important. 

Let me explain (calm down Karen, haha).

Would it help performance?  Absolutely.  Would it make me stronger?  Yes of course.  But my goals of triathlons is to have fun and obtain personal goals (not necessarily podium finishes).  So for me, I don't do it (although I know I could use it and it would benefit me).

If you are happy with your performance and prefer doing training outside, then do what you enjoy.  If you want some strength training, I am sure there are some combination of things you could do at a park outside (such as push ups, pull ups,sit ups, etc).  But if you want to peak your performance and be as fast as possible, you might have to bite the bullet and incorporate some indoor weight training.

So now to contradict myself completely, I am going to be doing some weights this season.  1. To help Karen get her PT certification.  2. Look and feel better (yes totally self absorbed there). 3. To kick Karen and Tania's booty in the pool (they are pretty darn fast)

*Takes a deep breath*

Actually I completely agree with what Derek said above.

What I have learned over the years... is that if I don't keep things balanced and do training that I ENJOY... I won't stay in the sport. It's just that simple.

So I strength train myself? In the off season yes. For about 3 months. Once my full training season is in swing, I don't anymore. Why?

1) It's boring.

2) Between a full time job and swimming/biking/cycling I don't have the time. And since I am not in the gym training (except to swim) I am rarely where I need to be do weight lift.

3) It's hard to cycle or run when your legs are completely blown out from weights. It's hard to swim when your arms are completely blown out as well.

With all of that said... my Training Plans for Multisport Athletes book does have strength training built into the plans. I just took it out as I didn't have the time.

While I am stuyding to be a certified personal trainer... I do see the value in strength training... I also want to look for how it can lend itself to triathletes. I want to learn why one would want to strength train in season and how it benefits and adds speed on the swim/bike/run.

I can tell you that I have read some research though (in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research).... where they used two different test groups of professional cyclists to see if weight training for their legs made them faster on the bike. Guess what. It didn't.

As we grow older strength training is important I go believe... but I also lean towards the idea that when a triathlete is in season they can lay off the weights. Maybe my views will change as I learn more going forward with regards to personal training and being a triathlon coach.

2009-12-23 4:01 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I twitter jfriel and he sent this today:

Someone asked for suggestions for strength training by sport. Find here - http://support.trainingpeaks.com/personal-edition/weight-workouts.a...

I have glanced over it and it seems very similar to how NASM sets up a training plan for a client. NASM works off these basic ideas of phases as well:

AA = Anatomical Adaptation
ME = Muscular Endurance
MS = Maximum Strength
MT = Maximum Strength Transition
PE = Power Endurance
SM = Strength Maintenance

BTW- 1RM means... 1 rep max. Meaning you do a test to see what is the max weight you do on a given exercise, and then you take a % of that to determine what weight you should be using for the different phases.

Edited by KSH 2009-12-23 4:03 PM
2009-12-23 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2574641

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH

KSH - 2009-12-23 3:03 AM

Do you have bike shorts you can wear on the bike? Stick to the upright bike, it will simulate riding a road bike more closely. While the other seat will be less painful, it won't be the same workout. :) Great job on swimming and running! :)

whoops - put in the quote, forgot my reply:   Yes, I've got bike shorts and that's my next try.  I rode in tri shorts because I was doing a brick and hate the hot diaper feeling of running in padded shorts.  I think I still have to get the seat the right distance back from the handlebars too.

That's what I suspected so far as recumbent vs. upright. 

Can't get this d--- post left justified.  This looks like bad poetry...

Cheryl

Edited by lovesreading 2009-12-23 9:18 PM
2009-12-23 9:39 PM

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
I did my dawn run.  It was grey and cold, hardly inspiring.  I did manage to hit my 10min pace goal without checking my watch at all Smile - well, 10:05 anyway, close enuf.

I'm planning to swim and try the Expresso bike tomorrow assuming the gym is still open on Christmas Eve.  I didn't think to check...  If it's closed, I'll hit the trainer.

My diet survived a staff Christmas dinner out by dividing the meal into 1/3's.  Now I've got yummy treats for the next two days Tongue out.... (drooling)  I'm down 2.5lb in just over 2 weeks on Weight Watchers.  Its doing a good job tweaking the diet to take into account my workouts.

On another note:  I've got a nagging lowgrade ache in a muscle  right at my right hip.  I especially notice it when I wake up.  It persisted even through the time off running.  It went away after a couple of weeks travelling last month but came back slightly on return so I suspect something about my matress/sleeping position aggravates it.  I'm feeling it slightly more after each run.  It's not piercing, doesn't hurt more during exercise, just persistant.  When I first started running, this area was sore on each hip and that went away.  This started up when I started trying to train after runner's knee.  When I moved from the elliptical to the treadmill before my knee was ready, both the knee and the hip hurt, so I stopped everything.  So, now I'm starting up again and I don't know how cautious to be.  Knowing my doctor, if I go to him, I WILL end up in physical therapy.  He's conservative and seems to like PT.

Any ideas?  I don't know whether to try to weight train and strengthen something (and if so, what?) or whether to stretch or just keep on and hope it'll go away since it's mild painwise.  Are there any hip things it could be that mean I'd need to stop soonest?

Cheryl
2009-12-23 10:42 PM
in reply to: #2575145

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Hola to everyone,

Sorry that I have been so out of touch, but I have limited access to internet right now while traveling for the holidays. I have only been able to do one run in the last few days. I hope to get another one in tomorrow to "ear the right" to eat a lot of turkey!! :-)

I am not doing any weights but I  am about to finish the hundredpushops.com plan and I bought a training wheel which I will be using at some point ;-)  I do feel much better in terms of stability and abdominal strength and I think that it will help me stay injury free and hopefully looking a little better :-)... but yes, definitively not very exciting.

Cheryl,

on the hip pain, do you think it could be your Sciatic nerve. I have tight hips and have had Sciatic pain several times and sounds like it could be something like it. Does it hurt more when you are sitting down a lot?

Happy Holidays to everyone and I will be back to normal, training and logging in all the time in a couple of days.

Saludos,

Gerry
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27