BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Just Us Girls Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2010-01-06 5:22 PM
in reply to: #2592376

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: Lora's Just Us Girls Group - CLOSED
twohearted - 2010-01-04 11:38 AM

Hi ladies,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get with it here. Getting ready for the holidays threw me for a loop this time for some reason. Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season.

Well here is my story:

Name twohearted/Karen

Story

I have no background in any of the 3 disciplines. I have always worked out my whole life to keep my weight down, usually aerobic classes, kick boxing or weight training. 3 years ago my husband got back into triathlon and did a few races. He was always telling me that I would be a good triathlete and I would just laugh at him.After watching him race for 2 seasons and seeing all the different people doing this(different ages, sizes and athletic ability) I started to think that maybe I could do it and to my surprise I did it and loved it. After watching my husband finish B2B Full Iron I don't think that I will ever want to do one due to all the hours of training but, I do think that in a year or 2 I could see myself doing a Half Iron(if I can get my irrational fear of the open water swim under control).

Family Status

I am 49 years old. Married to my best friend and training partner. We have 5 children and 4 grandchildren, 2 Rottweilers and 2 cats.

Current Training

Starting a Masters swim program this week. Running as much as I can and getting on the trainer at least 2 times a week, living in SE MI means no biking outside so we get together with other BTers and have winter trainerfests. Normally I train 4-5 times a week. I hope to get back to that now that the kids are back to school and we can get back into a routine. I work part-time as a RN so getting my training in once I start a plan is usually pretty easy to fit in as long as I get it done early in the day, I am a morning person so if I don't get my workouts done in the morning I can easily not do them.

Last Year’s Races

3/15/09 Corktown 4mi Detroit, MI

5/10/09 Run Like A Mother 10K Harrison Twsp

5/31/09 Hawk Island Sprint Tri Lansing MI(my first tri

8/9/09 Sylvanian Sprint Tri Sylvania, OH

9/12/09 Tawas Festival of Tris Sprint Tawas, MI

10/11/09 Towpath HM Clevland, OH

This Year’s Races

3/14/10 Corktown 4 mi. run Detroit, MI

4/25/10 Glass City HM Toledo, OH

5/22/10 Grosse Ile DU Grosse Ile, MI

6/19/10 Maumee Bay Girls Tri too Mini Sprint(my 13 yo daughter wants to do this with me)

6/20/10 Maumee Bay Tri Sprint Toledo, OH

8/15/10 Petosky Tri Sprint Petosky, MI

9/11/10 Tawas Festival of Tris OLY Tawas, MI

11/7/10 Wrightsville Beach HM Willmington, NC

Weight Loss

I have lost 30 lbs since starting my training. I would like to loss maybe 15 more.

Lora, thanks for mentoring. This sounds like a great group of ladies. I think we will have lots of fun

Karen

Totally understand about the holidays! That's an awesome story, Karen. I'm inspired by all the shapes, sizes and ages at these events, too. That's soooo awesome you're joining Masters. I hear nothing but great things about how people improve by joining.

Glad to have you!

2010-01-06 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2597929

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
amykmo - 2010-01-06 12:56 PM Question for you girls.  How do you track spin workouts on your logs?  I usually just put in 15 miles for the hour of class because that's what I average on the road.  I know that spin time doesn't really equate to road time but I still want to track some kind of mileage versus just time on the bike.  Any suggestions?

1 week into the new year.  My masters swim coach just quit our gym ---and I've already paid the dues.  Now I need to find a new class quick ---looks like I won't be swimming for a couple of weeks yet since I am just not modivated to swim laps with no one yelling at me.

When I first started spinning, I threw that time and estimated mileage onto my "bike" log. After a few months, I went back and moved that time and miles out of "bike" and into "spin."  It's just a personal choice. When I was logging it under bike, I underestimated my mileage.

Sorry to hear about your coach quitting. Man, that sucks.
2010-01-06 5:32 PM
in reply to: #2598759

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
twohearted - 2010-01-06 5:31 PM

J.Jill - 2010-01-06 10:37 AM I have a Rottie too!!!

I  love my Rottie's. They are like bike cuddly bear cubs

I did my first Master's swim today and I loved it. I found out that I really can swim.  I think this is going to help me lots. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to over come panic attacks in open water? They are not so bad that I have to quit but, they really mess up my time.

Amy, I log my spin classes the same way you do when I go to the gym. I have a cadence sensor for my Garmin for my trainer rides at home. $38. on Amozon. I  love it.

Hey, Karen. Mandy had some really great advice about getting comfortable and that's just to do it more. Maybe just don't go out too far until you've gotten more comfortable. You're on your way...!
2010-01-06 6:26 PM
in reply to: #2562810

User image

St. Clair Shores, MI
Here's an easy one ladies.  I am going shopping for a swim cap...yes...my first one.  What the heck do I look for and do they have "sizes"?  Should I measure my head????  I am looking for something to protect my hair from the pool water....but will it keep me warmer in open water swimming?

Thanks...

Newbie Jeri
2010-01-06 6:29 PM
in reply to: #2593326

User image

St. Clair Shores, MI
Where can I find the MI Forum?  I searched and found something related to Michigan people but I don't think it's the right thing.  This website has so much stuff!!

Can you send me a link?  Thank you.

Jeri
2010-01-06 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2598964

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
jgrigg - 2010-01-06 7:26 PM Here's an easy one ladies.  I am going shopping for a swim cap...yes...my first one.  What the heck do I look for and do they have "sizes"?  Should I measure my head????  I am looking for something to protect my hair from the pool water....but will it keep me warmer in open water swimming?

Thanks...

Newbie Jeri

You would think it would be easy. It's been so long since I bought one, but when I did it was lycra. I bought it because it was for long hair. Since racing, though, I always use the ones left over from races and I think that's what most people use. I can give you one that I've hardly used if you want. No charge for it or for the shipping. Just let me know and I can get it out to you ASAP.

Now, swim caps won't really protect your hair from pool damage. They actually make neoprene caps for your head in cold open water, but those are different from your average swim cap, so you'd need two.

There are some steps you can take to delay the chlorine damage. Thoroughly wet your hair in the shower before putting on your swim cap and hitting the pool. The water will help absorb the chlorine. Also, wash your hair immediately after your swim and get the chlorine off fast. I don't buy a specialty shampoo (though I really should), but I've seen a lot of BTers use this.

Great question!

2010-01-06 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2598970

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

jgrigg - 2010-01-06 7:29 PM Where can I find the MI Forum?  I searched and found something related to Michigan people but I don't think it's the right thing.  This website has so much stuff!!

Jeri

Jeri, the Michigan forum comes up on the list of forums, just below Triathlon Talk, Introduce Yourself, then mine shows Michigan.

If that's not coming up whenever you click on the Forums tab, you can do two things.  1st make sure your account is set to Michigan.  go to Settings ( the little wrench looking thing at the top of the BT page) It should show Account Settings tab, and your State/Province section should be set to Michigan.  If that doesn't make it work the second option is towards the very bottom of the Forums page where it list US, Canada, Australia, etc.  Click on US, then go down the list to Michigan.

My husband had to help me set that up. I couldn't find it either. When you get there make a post and you will be greeted by some very nice and helpful people.

2010-01-06 6:47 PM
in reply to: #2598970

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
jgrigg - 2010-01-06 7:29 PM Where can I find the MI Forum?  I searched and found something related to Michigan people but I don't think it's the right thing.  This website has so much stuff!!

Jeri

You just may not have identified your state in your settings. Whenever you click on forums and see the mentor programs, Tri Talk, Gear Reviews etc., you should see one for your state after Introduce Yourself. Here's how to make it show up.

Go to "Settings" at the very top of the site.
After you've picked "United States" from the drop down menu, the drop down menu after that will ask for your "State/Province".
Select "Michigan" and hit update.
It should now appear on your "Forums" page.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
2010-01-06 8:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, IN

Jeri,

I had to buy a swim cap too.  The chlorine was doing horrible things to my hair and it was like straw!  I bought a silicone swim cap.  It has made a huge difference!  My hairstylist is so happy to have my hair back to normal! LOL  Also, I dampen my hair then spray a cheap spray conditioner on it before putting on my swim cap.  My hair has remained in great shape and kept its color since I have been doing this before my swims.  

2010-01-06 8:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, IN
Lora,
I went to GOTRIbal and read your interview!  It was excellent!  Girls, you all need to go to GOTRIbal and read Lora's interview!  It you are not a member you should sign up!  It is a great site.  Lora your interview is very inspiring!  Good job!!
2010-01-07 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2598879

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

Lora109 - 2010-01-06 6:32 PM
twohearted - 2010-01-06 5:31 PM

J.Jill - 2010-01-06 10:37 AM I have a Rottie too!!!

I  love my Rottie's. They are like bike cuddly bear cubs

I did my first Master's swim today and I loved it. I found out that I really can swim.  I think this is going to help me lots. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to over come panic attacks in open water? They are not so bad that I have to quit but, they really mess up my time.

Amy, I log my spin classes the same way you do when I go to the gym. I have a cadence sensor for my Garmin for my trainer rides at home. $38. on Amozon. I  love it.

Hey, Karen. Mandy had some really great advice about getting comfortable and that's just to do it more. Maybe just don't go out too far until you've gotten more comfortable. You're on your way...!
Dang it! I knew you guys were going to say that As soon as that is possible I will be out there. I should have done way more OWS last summer, time was always a factor, easier to run up to the pool than to pack up and drive out to one of the lakes.

Thanks ladies.

2010-01-07 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2599239

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
amyleigh - 2010-01-06 9:31 PM Lora,
I went to GOTRIbal and read your interview!  It was excellent!  Girls, you all need to go to GOTRIbal and read Lora's interview!  It you are not a member you should sign up!  It is a great site.  Lora your interview is very inspiring!  Good job!!

Thanks so much, Amy! I also want to put it out there that they in no way compete with BT. A lot of us are very active on here and log our training here, too.
2010-01-07 7:22 PM

It is SO cold! It's 24 degrees here in East Texas. (It ain't supposed to get this cold)
All I want to do is curl up underneath a pile of blankets and read. How do I get motivated?
Pat
2010-01-07 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2601624

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Hey Pat-

Well, that is certainly cold, but especially for Texas! Holy cow, that is really unusual, isn't it?  Brr.  There are plenty of times when I want to curl up under the covers and hide!  I am sure the other girls in the group often feel the same this time of year, so you are certainly not alone.  I can't wait to hear what others in this group say on this, I am always looking for a little Mo.

The hardest 10 steps are the ones out the door, and sometimes it is so hard to take those steps.  This is what I do - I review my goals for the year (written down near my computer), or hop on Utube and watch the finish of Chrissie Wellington's IM finish - her joy is so...inspiring.  Careful, you can get sucked into UTube vids of inspiring triathlon stories, there are plenty...you could end up inside on the computer wrapped in a blanket instead of heading out the door...But what I am saying is I try to remind myself why I am doing this, and look to people who inspire me to help me out the door. 

Or get on a treadmill.  I have severe treadmill phobia though, so that doesn't work for me. Long story.

Cheers,
Mandy

Edited by manfarr1974 2010-01-07 8:11 PM
2010-01-07 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, IN
Hey Pat!

There are times that I just want to be wrapped up in a blanket reading a good book or something.  There are plenty of times I come home from school then go to my son's basketball game and think that I would so love to come home and veg out after a long day...but I get my training in even when its a late night.  I think about how good I always feel when I finish a workout!  It makes me feel so accomplished.  So when I think about how good the blanket will feel I think about how good I will feel after my workout and that's a way better feeling than being wrapped up in a blanket.  I also think about people that can't get out and do what we do so that motivates me as well.

I hate the treadmill but I do use it when I have to.  But I do have a very funny story.  I motivated one of my friends I teach with to run the Indy Mini Marathon.  I gave her a training plan.  She called the other night to tell me she had a "treadmill accident"  Somehow she went off the back of the treadmill and put one foot through the wall and the other foot was stuck on the treadmill!  Her boyfriend happened to be there so she yelled for him and he was so shocked that he just stood there and didn't even help her at first.  She is fine and not hurt and she is laughing about the incident.  She just wants to get her wall repaired! LOL And she is still training! Laughing
2010-01-07 10:43 PM

Amyleigh, I didn't know whether to be frightened for your friend or laugh!  Treadmills are tricky devils.  I was given an exercise bike.  I think I'll do some yoga before going to bed. In the morning, start resuming my training.  Not sure if I can get out the door, but I can sure do some spinning.
Thanks
Pat

2010-01-08 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2601818

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
AMYOH MY GOD!! That is crazy about your friend Amy!  Treadmills are evil, they have a mind of their own (says the treadmillphob)! Glad she is OK.  Great story!

Hey, that is another option - if it is really cold outside, and you can't get out there - change your plan and do what you can inside. 

Cheers,
Mandy
2010-01-08 4:00 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
What a crazy story! Oh my gosh!

It really is the first few steps out the door that are the hardest. I've never regretted going for a run, but I have regretted not having gone for that run.

I have a hard time facing the cold when I'm cold to begin with. Like, if it's drafty in my house and I'm not toasty warm and have shivers, I already have a taste of the outside - and I don't want to go. If I'm pretty warm to begin with, them I'm just ignorant and it's easier.

Make sure that you're dressed warm enough. Just don't wear your down jacket! Your first layer of clothes should be made of wicking material and then add on after that.

Now, get out that door!
2010-01-08 4:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

Good luck tomorrow Lora!

2010-01-08 4:26 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

Yeah Lora! Good luck! Have fun and we want a full race report!
2010-01-08 6:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

Mandy, I love your blog,caratunkgirl. Tomorrow when I go out and run in 5 in of snow on the sidewalk, not shoveled by most of our neighbors, I will think of you. We camped in Maine a few years ago up near Bar Harbor. We crossed over into Maine from Quebec. It was beautiful. I also loved the jewelry link. I am sending it to my husband and reminding him that Valentines Day is coming up

2010-01-08 7:08 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Thanks for the well wishes ya'll. How sweet! It's a reverse tri (run, bike, swim) which was a little annoying to find out at first, but it's a new challenge and I'm excited to see how my body responds.

Have a good night, everyone!
2010-01-08 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2604068

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
twohearted - 2010-01-08 7:34 PM

Mandy, I love your blog,caratunkgirl. Tomorrow when I go out and run in 5 in of snow on the sidewalk, not shoveled by most of our neighbors, I will think of you. We camped in Maine a few years ago up near Bar Harbor. We crossed over into Maine from Quebec. It was beautiful. I also loved the jewelry link. I am sending it to my husband and reminding him that Valentines Day is coming up

Thank you so much, I am so happy you like my blog!! I am shooting for 2 entries a week.  Nice, I hope your husband gets you something from TriClique, those girls are cool and make some awesome stuff. 

That is cool you drove through here, Bar Harbor is awesome.  Good luck with the traction tomorrow! 

Night,
Mandy
2010-01-09 6:28 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
You really do write very well, Mandy. Two times a week is what I'm shooting for on my Blogger blog. Heading off to my first indoor tri. It's in reverse so that oughta make for an interesting morning.
2010-01-09 2:47 PM
in reply to: #2603856

Thank you Lora.
I'm cold.
I'm tired.
But you know what?
I'm going out.
It's 30 degrees
but...
I'm tired of being up on blocks.
I need to move.
So thanks for the gentle
push out the door.
Hugs
Pat
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Just Us Girls Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11