BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2010-01-07 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2596445

User image

Mammoth Lakes
Subject: RE: Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL
karen26.2 - 2010-01-05 5:35 PM
YouYou - 2010-01-05 7:33 PM

karen26.2 - 2010-01-05 7:10 PM Today the outside temp here was about 17 degrees, and 5 degrees with wind chill factor, and it was so hard to not just stand by the pool in my fleece pants and jacket and watch all the fools in the water.  But I eventually let go of my jacket and pants and got in.

Are you swimming in an outside pool?

No, but it's in an industrial type building so there's not much insulation.  The air in the building was cool.  Not 17 degrees, but still cold.  And one end of the pool is near an outside door, and it seemed to be leaking in cold air.  I'm just a whimp when it's really cold.

I have the opposite problem.  The pool I am in during the winter is a free flowing hot spring. So one side of the pool is 90 degrees and the other is 80 degrees.  I would love to complain about this but I would much rather have this problem than it not being heated!   But, I can also tell you that it is hard to swim hard when it is too warm and I look forward to the 3 months a year that I get to swim in a normal length pool and a normal temp.

You guys are hard core.  Keep up the great work.

2010-01-07 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2571242

User image

Mammoth Lakes
Subject: Heart Rate Training
Hi Everyone.  I have to apologize to you for not getting this tread going in a timely fashion.  I am going to use the holidays and getting sick as my excuse.  But excuses can only take you so far, you guys have my attention now.  SO....

If I start a subject of Heart Rate Training in this tread, are you interested? If at least 3 of you are interested I will do it.
I propose 4 -5 weeks of  instruction starting with the first post on this coming Monday.   If you don't have a HR monitor you would have until the end of next week to get one and get your first weeks test done then the rest of the month will be instructions and of learning how to use an incredible training tool.

Proposed Agenda:
Week 1:  Doing Tests to determine your HR Zones for Running and Biking.
During the week I will answer any question you have on doing the test & your results.

Week 2:  What the HR Zones are and how to use them. 
During the week I will answer your questions on the zones and my experiences and other articles on this.  This week you will be "playing" with your HR Monitors...getting to know them and your HR data.

Week 3 & 4:  Incorporating using HR zone into your workouts.
How to do a workout with HR zones and what if your workouts don't have Heart rate instructions? How do you to get the most out of your work outs using HR.  This will incorporate understanding what your HR is telling you about your training.  And this week I will answer questions that you may have when you are using your heart rate monitor while you are training with it.  This will most likely be a two part post.

Week 5: Racing and HR?  Discussion on using your HR monitor during races.

Let me know who is interestedin following this!
2010-01-07 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2600605

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Training
wyldhair - 2010-01-07 1:26 PM Hi Everyone.  I have to apologize to you for not getting this tread going in a timely fashion.  I am going to use the holidays and getting sick as my excuse.  But excuses can only take you so far, you guys have my attention now.  SO....

If I start a subject of Heart Rate Training in this tread, are you interested? If at least 3 of you are interested I will do it.
I propose 4 -5 weeks of  instruction starting with the first post on this coming Monday.   If you don't have a HR monitor you would have until the end of next week to get one and get your first weeks test done then the rest of the month will be instructions and of learning how to use an incredible training tool.

Proposed Agenda:
During the week I will answer any question you have on doing the test & your results.

During the week I will answer your questions on the zones and my experiences and other articles on this.  This week you will be "playing" with your HR Monitors...getting to know them and your HR data.

How to do a workout with HR zones and what if your workouts don't have Heart rate instructions? How do you to get the most out of your work outs using HR.  This will incorporate understanding what your HR is telling you about your training.  And this week I will answer questions that you may have when you are using your heart rate monitor while you are training with it.  This will most likely be a two part post.

I am very interested.  I do have a HR monitor that I use for biking and running.  I did a LT test for both running and biking in '09, so I have what I think are my zones.  What I do with them I'm not too sure, and not too sure they are correct.  Looking at training plans, or even in spin classes the instructor tells you a zone, so I know I'm supposed to be in Z2, Z3, or Z4 depending on the type of workout.  But what does each zone really do for you, how often should you train in each zone per week, what do you do if you can't get and stay in a zone, etc.

So this would be a very good topic, bring it on!  =)
2010-01-07 7:13 PM
in reply to: #2572377

User image

Mammoth Lakes
Subject: RE: Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -OPEN
TeddieMao - 2009-12-21 9:25 PM

Please Mentor Me!!

Teddie Mao/Ted

Married, 2 kids (1 1/2 and 5)

Have done a few triathletes but not very well.  I STRUGGLE with the swim.  Total lack of confidence in my ability!

Only did one this year and it turned into biathlon(?) - St. Anthony's

Initially lost about 35 when I first started training but have gained 10 back.

I am not going to win anything but I would like to do well!

Ted please feel free to participate in this thread! We haven't heard from you in a while?
2010-01-07 7:15 PM
in reply to: #2572139

User image

Mammoth Lakes
Fathlete - 2009-12-21 6:39 PM Your story sounds exactly like mine, except for the whole being a really good athlete previously thing.  That aside, and despite two young children, the proverbial 10-12hr/day job and everything else, I know I want to complete a tri this year.  Like most people I'm overweight (at least 50 pounds in my estimation) but that's not going to stop me.  Would it be possible to join your group, because I know motivation is going to be an issue.

Fathlete, I am sending you personal motivation....where have you been?
Let's hear from you.... What are you doing?
2010-01-07 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2601357

User image

Mammoth Lakes
karen26.2 - 2010-01-07 2:51 PM
Lydia - 2010-01-07 1:26 PM Hi Everyone.  I have to apologize to you for not getting this tread going in a timely fashion.  I am going to use the holidays and getting sick as my excuse.  But excuses can only take you so far, you guys have my attention now.  SO....

Proposed Agenda:

I am very interested.  I do have a HR monitor that I use for biking and running.  I did a LT test for both running and biking in '09, so I have what I think are my zones.  What I do with them I'm not too sure, and not too sure they are correct.  Looking at training plans, or even in spin classes the instructor tells you a zone, so I know I'm supposed to be in Z2, Z3, or Z4 depending on the type of workout.  But what does each zone really do for you, how often should you train in each zone per week, what do you do if you can't get and stay in a zone, etc.

So this would be a very good topic, bring it on!  =)

Excellent! You hit the nail on the head on why I thought this topic would be a good idea.  Most people don't really know that much about there HR monitors or training. HR monitors are really great tools and help you get more out of training with a lot less work and tell you so much about how you are improving..or if you are about to blow up.

I think this is a great topic.....anyone else interested????  come on... you can get a HR Monitor on ebay for less than $50 and you won't find a free 4 week HR instruction course any where else on the web.  Someone even told me that Costco has like a 90 day no hassle return policy on there electronics...But I warn you, if you learn how to use you HR monitor, you won't be returning it.

2010-01-08 10:07 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Ok, so I'll just go ahead and bow out of the HR "class" but it doesn't mean I'm not interested.  I've just always trained with RPE and it seems to work for me when I actually stick to a plan.  In fact, the only piece of electronics that I use is a cyclocomputer with distance, speed, time, and cadence.  I don't even wear a watch a when I run, I just sorta guesstimate how long it took me to run.  I don't even use the pool clock unless I'm doing a timed mile or something.  I count rest intervals on my fingers.

That being said, I'd like to watch others fiddle around with a HRM and see how it goes.  I'm planning on repeating two week cycles over and over and over, increasing intensity and duration as I go.  I have a feeling that adding a HRM to this would probably be extremely useful... once I actually acclimate myself to a structure.

2010-01-09 12:04 AM

wyldhair - 2010-01-07 12:26 PM

Hi Everyone.  I have to apologize to you for not getting this tread going in a timely fashion.  I am going to use the holidays and getting sick as my excuse.  But excuses can only take you so far, you guys have my attention now.  SO....

Proposed Agenda:

I am definitely interested in this topic. I have a Garmin 405 with a HRM but don't have much of an idea on how to use it effectively. I have many of the same questions as Karen. I heard a lot about the zones but don't know how to use them in training. Sounds like a great topic to me!
2010-01-09 11:08 AM

User image

Regular

wyldhair - 2010-01-07 1:26 PM

Hi Rochelle,

I am definitely interested in following it and above all, which direction you will take given the amount of different concepts, opinions, discussions, etc. regarding the set up of training zones.

Currently I take my average heart rate for a 10 k run and using this heart rate, I have established my training zones using the table provided in most of the "Velo Gear" books (Training Bible, Perfect Distance, etc.).

LSD in zone 2, Tempe runs close to my Threshold, etc.

But I am trying NOT to be a slave of my HR monitor, but link the reading during a run to my RPE, as well. I think it is very important to get a good feel for your body.

Little anecdote: I was working in a sport store. So we had clients whose HR monitor was broken, or needed a new batteries, etc., and we had to sent it to the manufacturer. I swear there were people almost panicking: "Oh gosh, what shall I do without my watch???"    "Well sir, I would recommend you just go running!!!"  

I have sometimes the feeling that athletes are getting TOO dependent on all the gadgets.

Take care

YouYou

Edited by YouYou 2010-01-09 11:10 AM
2010-01-09 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2604440

User image

New user

I don't have a heart rate monitor right now, but I'm interested in learning all a can about training, so I'll get one and follow along.
RAME
2010-01-09 1:42 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Well I finished the half mary and didn't get any frostbite.  I'll have a race report up when the official times get posted, but just off the clock I did around four minutes better than last year.  Pretty happy with how it went.  Almost froze my azz off when it was over, but I'm home and toasty warm now.

2010-01-09 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2604965

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
sesh - 2010-01-09 2:42 PM

Well I finished the half mary and didn't get any frostbite.  I'll have a race report up when the official times get posted, but just off the clock I did around four minutes better than last year.  Pretty happy with how it went.  Almost froze my azz off when it was over, but I'm home and toasty warm now.

Well done!  Can't wait to hear more details.  And I'm glad you survived the cold.
2010-01-09 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2591687

New user

Houston
wyldhair - 2010-01-03 10:40 PM
vickaiser - 2009-12-23 11:52 AM My #1 goal for for the next 5 months is to get to 220 pounds by my next anniversary.  My wife and I both have decided to get healthy and to turn our lives around for our kids and for ourselves.  I've lost ~90 pounds so far and my wife has lost 60.  I'm currently at 278 so I have 58 more to lose by May.

Exercise (mainly running) has played an important role in my weightless success.  I want to keep that going with a new challenge.  I want to complete my first Olympic Triathlon in April of next year because they say I shouldn't be able to do that at my weight.  I really enjoy doing challenging things and it motivates me in my eating and my weightless.

CONGRATULATIONS on your very inspiring weight loss and motivational goals.  I love it when people say "because I shouldn't be able to"  Keep up the good work and don't forget your goggles next time you go to the gym!

Rochelle

Thanks, Rochelle.  Sorry I've been "absent" from the group.  I've been lurking here and there and have been dying to get back in and get to know you guys better.

I've been fighting some bad attitude as I have had an injury creep up just one week before the marathon I've been training for for 8 months.  GRRRRR!!!

To catch up, I'm getting all squared away on and prepared to dive in (so to speak) to my tri training.  My race is in April.  It will be my first triathlon.  I lucked out and found a friend of mine who was getting rid of his bike that's been sitting in his garage for years.  It's a Cannondale.  Quite and old model, I think a '98.  But it's in GREAT condition.  I STOLE it from him for $100.  I took it to the shop and asked them to get it to where I could ride it.  They checked it out and basically all it needed was new cables and a new chain.  I'm going to get out of there with a complete tuneup, all new cabling, and a new chain for $90.  Since I felt like I got a STEAL on my first bike, I threw in for some SPD pedals and a pair of biking shoes.  I really feel a lot better meeting up with my training group with a real road bike, not my mountain bike which was Plan A.

I'm seeing as many doctors, therapists, witch doctors, psychic healers as I can fit in in one week to see if there is anything can be done to save my marathon.  If not, sobeit.  There will be others. 
At least I have biking now and swimming to fill up my training time while my ankle heals from running.  Maybe worst case scenario, I take a little break from the running and concentrate on getting my swimming and biking up to where my running is, or just a little closer.

Look forward to getting more involved with the group.  I'm just about caught up with all the threads.

Later.
2010-01-09 4:05 PM

New user

Houston
wyldhair - 2010-01-07 12:26 PM Hi Everyone.  I have to apologize to you for not getting this tread going in a timely fashion.  I am going to use the holidays and getting sick as my excuse.  But excuses can only take you so far, you guys have my attention now.  SO....

Proposed Agenda:

Count me in Rochelle.  I've done a running maxHR before but it was ~3 years ago.  I doubt it's still valid.  Me no like maxHR tests.   It hurts, Rochelle. Cry Still, I know it's a necessary thing.  I'll follow the thread and just hope my ankle gets better so I can actually participate instead of just reading along.

Thanks.

Vic
2010-01-09 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2605126

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

vickaiser - 2010-01-09 3:54 PM
wyldhair - 2010-01-03 10:40 PM
vickaiser - 2009-12-23 11:52 AM My #1 goal for for the next 5 months is to get to 220 pounds by my next anniversary.  My wife and I both have decided to get healthy and to turn our lives around for our kids and for ourselves.  I've lost ~90 pounds so far and my wife has lost 60.  I'm currently at 278 so I have 58 more to lose by May.

Exercise (mainly running) has played an important role in my weightless success.  I want to keep that going with a new challenge.  I want to complete my first Olympic Triathlon in April of next year because they say I shouldn't be able to do that at my weight.  I really enjoy doing challenging things and it motivates me in my eating and my weightless.

CONGRATULATIONS on your very inspiring weight loss and motivational goals.  I love it when people say "because I shouldn't be able to"  Keep up the good work and don't forget your goggles next time you go to the gym!

Rochelle

Thanks, Rochelle.  Sorry I've been "absent" from the group.  I've been lurking here and there and have been dying to get back in and get to know you guys better.

I've been fighting some bad attitude as I have had an injury creep up just one week before the marathon I've been training for for 8 months.  GRRRRR!!!

To catch up, I'm getting all squared away on and prepared to dive in (so to speak) to my tri training.  My race is in April.  It will be my first triathlon.  I lucked out and found a friend of mine who was getting rid of his bike that's been sitting in his garage for years.  It's a Cannondale.  Quite and old model, I think a '98.  But it's in GREAT condition.  I STOLE it from him for $100.  I took it to the shop and asked them to get it to where I could ride it.  They checked it out and basically all it needed was new cables and a new chain.  I'm going to get out of there with a complete tuneup, all new cabling, and a new chain for $90.  Since I felt like I got a STEAL on my first bike, I threw in for some SPD pedals and a pair of biking shoes.  I really feel a lot better meeting up with my training group with a real road bike, not my mountain bike which was Plan A.

I'm seeing as many doctors, therapists, witch doctors, psychic healers as I can fit in in one week to see if there is anything can be done to save my marathon.  If not, sobeit.  There will be others. 
At least I have biking now and swimming to fill up my training time while my ankle heals from running.  Maybe worst case scenario, I take a little break from the running and concentrate on getting my swimming and biking up to where my running is, or just a little closer.

Look forward to getting more involved with the group.  I'm just about caught up with all the threads.

Later.

Good to have you back.  Sucks about possibly missing that marathon, but the way I always look at it is... It's just one race, but it may turn into more if I do something to make it worse. 

2010-01-09 9:03 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Mississippi Blues Half Marathon

Race Report has gone live! 

Oh yeah... ofcourse there was "no shirt" guy.  Turns out he was "no shirt and cut off jeans guy."  Apparently he's from Montana, so this must have been a mild summer day for him.

Edited by sesh 2010-01-09 9:13 PM

2010-01-10 3:32 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Great race report - you had a really good run.  Sounds very challenging.  But you stuck to a plan and it worked well for you.

What's with the shirtless guy?  And cut off jeans?  He must be crazy.
2010-01-11 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2606178

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

karen26.2 - 2010-01-10 3:32 PM Great race report - you had a really good run.  Sounds very challenging.  But you stuck to a plan and it worked well for you.

What's with the shirtless guy?  And cut off jeans?  He must be crazy.

Shirtless guy caught the attention of the local paper.  When they asked why, he said, "I ran my first in cut offs and no shirt, so I decided to run them all that way."

2010-01-11 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2601603

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
wyldhair - 2010-01-07 7:13 PM
TeddieMao - 2009-12-21 9:25 PM

Please Mentor Me!!

Teddie Mao/Ted

Married, 2 kids (1 1/2 and 5)

Have done a few triathletes but not very well.  I STRUGGLE with the swim.  Total lack of confidence in my ability!

Only did one this year and it turned into biathlon(?) - St. Anthony's

Initially lost about 35 when I first started training but have gained 10 back.

I am not going to win anything but I would like to do well!

Ted please feel free to participate in this thread! We haven't heard from you in a while?

Sorry everybody, kinda been in a little funk, physically and mentally.  Trying to set some goals for myself.  My swimming is bad.  So I signed up for a class starting in March.  I'll to be a little vocal.
2010-01-11 8:33 PM

User image

New user
Along the lines of heart rate training I'm game. Just got the battery changed out in mine. Runs have been going well. I have learned a good amount about form and it is helping me improve my distance. Picked up a indoor magnetic bike trainer on craigslist and it is working out nicely. Feels good to get my wheels spinning even when it's 5 degrees outside. lol. Well I'm game for HRM training so keep me posted.

Cool
2010-01-12 8:45 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

For those trying to shed some pounds, I'm going to be keeping a pretty detailed nutrition long on my training blog that you can check out if you'd like.  I'm looking to go from 173 (where I was this morning) to around 155 for a race on June 5th.  I did the same race at that weight two years ago, and it was probably the best race I've ever done.  Of course, it wasn't just because of the reduced weight to lug around.  I was eating right and therefore fueling up well for my training workouts.  I was also sticking to an OLY plan here as religiously as I could.

The weight is only part of it, but in shooting for that goal, the good results gave me a boost in all the other areas of training and taking care of myself.  That's what I'm looking to do again.  I'll be posting what I eat for each meal, the fat/carb/protein mix of each, some recipes, and any other random stuff I think may help.  So, feel free to follow along, take some meal ideas, take some general concepts, etc.

Warning:  I'm no expert in nutrition in any way.  I'm just a dude looking to get healthier and increase my fitness levels.  Don't take what I'm doing as the gospel.

2010-01-12 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2608150

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

TeddieMao - 2010-01-11
Sorry everybody, kinda been in a little funk, physically and mentally.  Trying to set some goals for myself.  My swimming is bad.  So I signed up for a class starting in March.  I'll to be a little vocal.

Don't worry about the swimming.  You certainly aren't the only triathlete who struggles with it.  Your doing exactly what I would recommend you do in signing up for a class or lessons.  You'll find that when your form and technique finally comes together (and it will if you just keep getting in water), it will all work itself out.  Don't worry about pace and speed right now.  Focus on getting comfortable in the water first, then get fast.

2010-01-12 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2605496

User image

Regular

sesh - 2010-01-09 10:03 PM

Mississippi Blues Half Marathon

Race Report has gone live! 

Hello Bill,

Congratulations!!! Running a Half at this temperature is tough!

How do you feel? Hope the recovery is going as expected.

Take care

YouYou

2010-01-12 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2608150

User image

Regular

TeddieMao - 2010-01-11 3:54 PM

Hello Ted,

Just had a look at your Training Log. Looks as if you’re working out pretty regularly!!!

It took me two (!!!) hours yesterday to convince myself that it might be a good idea to go running. Did I enjoy the run? Well, not really, but I enjoy looking at my Training Log

Swimming is definitely a tough cookie. I agree with Andrew joining a club is the way to go if you don't feel too comfortable in the water.

Take care

YouYou

2010-01-12 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2601357

User image

Mammoth Lakes
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Training-WEEK 1 TESTS & ZONE CALCULATIONS

This week is about how do determine your running Heart Rate Zones. I am going to restrict my instructions to how to do the tests, which test you should choose to do and how do determine your zones this week.  I was going to include Bike Zones in this week to but, as I started to write it up, it became clear to me that it is too much for one thread post.  So you will see the Bike Heart Rate Zone Calculator in a separate post this week.  Next week, I will give definitions on what these numbers really mean.

There are an endless number of methods to determine HR zones.  All of them will achieve the end goal but some are more accurate than others.  As with most things in life, you will get what you put into it. To get the more accurate test results you have to put more work into it. If you have higher athletic performance goals then you will want to do the more accurate tests, this will allow you to train a little more precisely.  However the reality is that for the very large majority of people a simple Age Calculated Test is probably accurate enough to achieve a competitive result for any length event and a 20min stress test is accurate enough for the remaining higher level competitive athletes including most of the elite field.  The most accurate tests results are achieved with a Clinical V02 Tests, which will pinpoint all the HR zones and thresholds you could ever want to know.  My husband and I have both had one more than 15 years ago.   I think it would be fun to do it again but neither of us found enough of a training benefit to disrupt our training routine or spend the money to fine tune our training that much. The bottom line is that Heart Rate Training does not require high levels of accuracy to get impressive results. You will see proof in this, just by doing a Google search for HR Zone tests and Calculators… There are at least 50 different methods out there and they return a pretty large range of results.

For most people your heart rate Max and thresholds are different with different exercises that you do. This is mostly due to the number of muscle groups that an exercise uses and is also in part related to the stress level of the exercise.  For example running causes more impact than cycling, it requires more muscle groups.  So if you wish to be more precise in your training you would want to do HR tests for both exercises.  This post will only address running.  A later post this week will give you methods to determine your bike zones.

OKAY…Lets get to it.

There are 3 steps to determining your heart rate zones.  1st determine your resting heart rate, 2nd determine either your Max heart rate or your Estimated V02, then finally calculate your zones. For this thread we are going to use the Max Heart Rate Method and to calculating the zones I am using the Karyonen Formula.

1. Determine your Resting Heart Rate

In the morning or when you have a quiet moment. Don’t do this after you worked out, ate or showered.  It is also best that you don’t have a full bladder.  Using the average HR function on your HR Monitor hit lap or start every 30 seconds for 2 to 3 minutes while lying down. You are looking for the lowest average HR.  You can do this once or you can do it a couple of times during the week and then average your results.

2. Determine your Max Heart Rate

LEAST ACCURATE: AGE CALCULATED MAX HEART RATE METHOD
This is the least accurate because you are estimating your maximum heart rate.  Still, it is accurate enough for most people.  This Max Heart Rate is estimated by a method described by Sally Edwards an author on Heart Rate Training. You will need to know your current weight for this test. In general this formula is fine for most people and is likely to be the most accurate formula within plus or minus 5-7 beats of the actual maximum heart rate.  

Men:
210 - 1/2 your age - 5% of your total body weight + 4 = Predicted Maximum Heart Rate

Ladies:
210 - 1/2 your age - 5% of your total body weight + 0 = Predicted Maximum Heart Rate

MORE ACCURATE: STRESS TEST FOR MAX HEART RATE

This is the one that I recommend to anyone looking for a bit of accuracy. This method produces low fatigue and then maxes out your heart rate with short increasing intervals. I like it because the actual test section is relatively short and continues to move forward quick enough that a person isn’t so daunted by a long hard max test.

1. This is going to take 20 minutes. There is a 15 minute warm up and a 5 minute effort test. If you have a new Heart Rate Monitor, this is a good way to learn how to use it. Program a workout in your watch so that it laps at 15 minutes, and then laps every minute for the next 5minute, then stops.

Okay here is the test.
    Most people hit max heart rate between 185 -195 beats so I have set this test up with that number in mind.

Run/warm up easy for 15 minutes, then without stopping go to the 5 minute test.
    Minute 1: raise your heart rate to about 145 keep it there
    Minute 2: raise your heart rate to about 155 keep it there
    Minute 3: raise your heart rate to about 165 -keep it there
    Minute 4: raise your heart rate to about 170- keep it there
    Minute 5: GO ALL OUT! Sprint like hell right from the start of the minute. This will hurt.
  2. Check your file log. What was the highest your heart rate got in ? This is your max heart rate. 
  3. Check your file log, what was the average HR during minute 5.  Jot this down we will reference this later.
  4. If you can’t finish the 5 minutes, use the max HR you achieved + 5

ALTERNATIVES
There are many ways to figure out your max HR, I listed two.  Other methods I really like are the 5k Race test and Polar has a function on some of there HR Monitors that estimates your Max with a series of standing and lying down movements.  If you have a Polar watch that offers this, check it out.  Both my husband and my HR are within a beat or two of our actual max.

3. Calculate your zones: Karyonen Formula

I like this particular method combination over similar ones because it takes into account you’re actual resting Heart Rate and estimated Max.  Some methods use your estimated V02 or only your Max Heart Rate. But by combining the two calculations even if the estimated max is 10 beats off that only puts your zones 1-2 beats off at the most. That is close enough.  The calculated zones also seem to be more inline with actual thresholds… we will talk about that next week.  If you use a method that works off of V02 max and it is off by 5-10 beats then your zone will be mostly wrong right where it counts most. 

The zone calculations are from a method called the Karvonen Formula.  For your convenience, I actually found a website that uses all of this method and will do the calculating for you….Go to

http://www.fitzones.com/members/Fitness/heartrate_zones.asp#Karvonen_Formula

...fill in your gender, age, Resting Heart Rate and Estimated Max Heart Rate.  It will give you your zones.  If you want the actual formula then here it is:

MaxHR - RestHR = _____  x zone% = _____ + RHR = Karvonen Formula

AND HERE ARE THE ZONE % BREAK DOWN.

Zone 1                    < 60%       Max HR – Resting HR =_______ x 60% + Resting HR

Zone 2             60% - 70%      Max HR – Resting HR =_______ x 70% + Resting HR

Zone 3             70% - 80%      Max HR – Resting HR =_______ x 80% + Resting HR

Zone 4            80% - 90%      Max HR – Resting HR =_______ x 90% + Resting HR

Zone 5           90% +

Post back and let me know your thoughts and questions.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  

of 17