BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-04-26 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2816722

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - FULL
Jaybird333 - 2010-04-26 11:14 AM

I was planning on doing the entire course in a couple of weeks and I'll  let you know. Thank for the advice. J

I like that idea. Being familiar with the course is very helpful.

Anthony

2010-04-26 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2774068

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Hey gang, I know busy schedules and training.  I will usually take advantage of a run when I take my son to his lacrosse practice.  If it is raining and cancelled (like tonight) hit the pool.  I know schedules are always changing, but the challenge is making it work.  Even doing a core workout, stretching or push ups and sit ups is getting something in. 

Looking forward to longer and warmer days to make training that much easier or harder.  The honey do list also gets longer with the days...LOL.
2010-04-26 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2818324

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
I agree with Anthony...I like the idea of running, riding and swimming the course if possible.  My sprint isn't until June and I am going at some point, to check it out.
2010-04-26 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2818167

User image

Expert
triton63 - 2010-04-26 7:58 PM

Dan and Jason -  I can certainly relate to the issues of training, busy schedules and handling distractions.  Tonight I was looking forward to a nice run and a long swim.  Then I get a call from my ex that she needs me to keep my son tonight which is great...just that I can't take off for the pool now.  Oh well, life goes on.  My son's soccer team finished second in their region so they are in the playoffs and the first round of the tourny is this Thursday night. Trying to figure out how to train around the practices and games is tough.  Being their for him is more important than any triathlon so I will train when I can and do the best I can.

First, congrats to your son and his team! As far as missing some training here and there, that's OK. The long term, big picture is what counts. 

Rain is forecast for tomorrow so maybe soccer practice will be canceled and I can get to the pool.  The group bike ride will probably not go if it is raining.  Only a few days to get ready and I really am not feeling to confident right now.

Don't worry, you should feel plenty confident. You swam in high school, so the swim will be a piece of cake. You did a hilly 25 mile ride last week, and kept up with the group no problem, so you've got the bike covered. And from looking at your logs, I think you will do just fine on the run as well. I think you are gonna do great!

Anthony

2010-04-26 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2818240

User image

Expert
Jaybird333 - 2010-04-26 8:36 PM

Calvin, you'll be ready. Heart it everything, when the time comes, you will reach down into the depths and pull out more energy and courage than you ever thought possible. I once heard, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans". There are many times when I can't train, b/c my son is with me. He lives w/ his mom a couple hours away, so he is the priority.

Very well said, Jay.

I asked him last weekend if he would like to ride in a little pull behind my bike and he got excited about it. At least I can do some strenght training, he weighs 85lbs.

I like the idea of pulling your son behind you. I look forward to when I have grandchildren and can get a jogging stroller, and one of those trailers to pull behind the bike

Anthony

2010-04-26 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2809546

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Okay, I give up.  I've read the tips and searched the website through and through.  I can't figure out how to leave an 'inspire' for someone.  What do I do once I get to my friends main page?  Thanks,

Dan

2010-04-27 5:02 AM
in reply to: #2818387

Mooresville
I'll let you know how it goes, which should be fine, as long as my daughter doesn't want to go with, lol.
2010-04-27 7:29 AM
in reply to: #2818426

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
DannyK - 2010-04-26 10:13 PM Okay, I give up.  I've read the tips and searched the website through and through.  I can't figure out how to leave an 'inspire' for someone.  What do I do once I get to my friends main page?  Thanks,

Dan

Dan,  if you click on the link to someone's logs (find it under each post with the buttons for Profile, Album, Stats, PM, Logs) and then by each day is an Inspire Me link that you can use to send a message. 
2010-04-27 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2818908

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Heyyy thanks!  Sometimes the old brain needs a little help.  I just need a little time and I'll get the swing of this online community thing!  I appreciate the directions.  Got it Laughing.

Dan
2010-04-27 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2818167

User image

NH
triton63 - 2010-04-26 7:58 PM

Then I get a call from my ex that she needs me to keep my son tonight which is great...just that I can't take off for the pool now.  Oh well, life goes on. 

Being their for him is more important than any triathlon so I will train when I can and do the best I can.   

Rain is forecast for tomorrow so maybe soccer practice will be canceled and I can get to the pool.  The group bike ride will probably not go if it is raining.  Only a few days to get ready and I really am not feeling to confident right now. 

Absolutely true.  No offense to anyone, but I doubt many of us will be asked to go professional, and I even doubt many of us will ever see a podium.  I know for me, once the size of race goes over 10 my odds of a podium are near zero!

This tri things is for fun so we all need to keep it in perspective.  Good job focusing on the right stuff.  You'll do fine in the tri next weekend.  Just take it slow initially and if you feel great when you get off the bike you can hammer the run.
2010-04-27 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2818387

User image

NH
amschrod - 2010-04-26 9:59 PM
I like the idea of pulling your son behind you. I look forward to when I have grandchildren and can get a jogging stroller, and one of those trailers to pull behind the bike

Anthony

I hate people running with strollers - especially when they pass me in a race!  Smile

2010-04-27 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2819311

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
One of the 5k races my wife was in had a dude with his twin boys in the stroller up front!  People were complaining about him being in the way.   Guess what.....he won!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The boys had fun too.
2010-04-27 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2819311

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
I got strolled during a 5K last year.  What made it worse was the kid in the stroller leaned out of the stroller and looked back at me and then at his dad and asked, "Daddy, what is he doing?"    Gotta love kids.
2010-04-27 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2819434

User image

Expert
Oh yeah, I have been "strollered" also. One time in a 10K, by a guy with a double stroller. He even had 2 kids in it and they weren't little babies either, they were big toddlers.

Anthony
2010-04-27 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2818328

User image

Oklahoma
I am really lucky in that our local tri club is hosting an open water "Splash and Dash" at the lake of the Oly tri I am scheduled to do.  This will be my first open water swim and I have been obsessing about the swim part.  I am not scared of swimming in a lake (grew up swimming/splashing around at Starve Hollow Lake in Indiana), but it is the sighting I am concerned about.  Anyway - I will get at least one chance to swim in the lake before the tri. 

By the way, this is my first Oly too!  June 6, Rt 66 Tri in El Reno, Oklahoma!  Yahoo!
2010-04-27 2:42 PM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
As long as you are comfortable in the water I don't think you will have a problem with sighting.  That line at the bottom of the pool is easy to follow but as long as you are not bouncing off the lane ropes now then you should be fine.  Have you ever tried to swim the length of the pool with your eyes closed? 

I just ordered a wetsuit so I hope to get it in time to practice some in a lake here with an OWS before I head to the beach.  Will get to practice sighting with things on the horizon.  Best of luck to you!

2010-04-27 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2807574

User image

Oklahoma
triton63 - 2010-04-21 1:19 PM  Only 10 days till my first super sprint tri!

GOOD LUCK!  Have lots of fun!Laughing
2010-04-27 2:45 PM

User image

Oklahoma
GARMIN - so how many of you have a Garmin?  I am thinking of getting one for my birthday in June.  Tell me if you love or hate it and why.  Thanks!
2010-04-27 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2820500

User image

NH
OkiePrill - 2010-04-27 3:45 PM GARMIN - so how many of you have a Garmin?  I am thinking of getting one for my birthday in June.  Tell me if you love or hate it and why.  Thanks!

I have a love/hate relationship with my Garmin!  I love having it because the feedback is awesome during and to review training sessions.  However, I can be obsessive watching it, so it can distract from the enjoyment and training focus.  Also, it can be a crutch for me to not "feel" the pace I'm running.  I try to run without it sometimes, or focus on not looking at it for long stretches.

I have a 205, by the way.  No heartrate but it's a great GPS device and very cheap on Craigslist.
2010-04-27 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2820500

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
I borrow my wifes Garmin every chance I get!  I am really bummed when she's training at the same time and the answer is 'no'!  It's a great tool.  I'm not very good at guessing my pace so the garmin is how I monitor it.  Plus keeping track of distance is a huge plus.  The only regret I have is that I didn't buy 2 (it was a present).Laughing
2010-04-27 4:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
I was going to ask about the Garmin also, thanks for the input.  I will be looking for my birthday gift also in June (just in case you guys need any ideas for my gift...LOL)  Thanks

Edited by scott1223 2010-04-27 4:56 PM

2010-04-27 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2820470

User image

Expert
OkiePrill - 2010-04-27 3:36 PM I am really lucky in that our local tri club is hosting an open water "Splash and Dash" at the lake of the Oly tri I am scheduled to do.  This will be my first open water swim and I have been obsessing about the swim part.  I am not scared of swimming in a lake (grew up swimming/splashing around at Starve Hollow Lake in Indiana), but it is the sighting I am concerned about.  Anyway - I will get at least one chance to swim in the lake before the tri.

That sounds like a fun event. Since you are not scared of swimming in a lake, you have already got it made. With a little practice you will be sighting just fine, especially since you just started breathing bilaterally. Being able to breathe to either side is a big advantage in a race. Buoy placement, chop and the sun can all effect your sighting, so being able to look to either side is great.

By the way, this is my first Oly too!  June 6, Rt 66 Tri in El Reno, Oklahoma!  Yahoo!

Cool!! Less than 6 weeks to go!!

Anthony
2010-04-27 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2820489

User image

Expert
triton63 - 2010-04-27 3:42 PM As long as you are comfortable in the water I don't think you will have a problem with sighting.  That line at the bottom of the pool is easy to follow but as long as you are not bouncing off the lane ropes now then you should be fine.  Have you ever tried to swim the length of the pool with your eyes closed?

I try that sometimes, but only when I have the lane to myself, because I don't swim very straight. 

I just ordered a wetsuit so I hope to get it in time to practice some in a lake here with an OWS before I head to the beach.  Will get to practice sighting with things on the horizon.  Best of luck to you!

What kind of wetsuit did you get? Any OWS practice you can get in it will be beneficial. At first you will feel a little like a cork, especially in salt water.

Anthony
2010-04-27 5:30 PM

User image

Expert
I have used a Garmin 305 for years, and I recently upgraded to a 310xt. I don't use the HRM because I tried HR training a couple of years ago and for me it took away some of the fun. I go by RPE and by how I feel on any given day. I also don't look at it much while I am training.

My favorite part is the maps. I am a freak about maps and about making up new routes, especially on the bike. Also, being able to upload my workouts to my log so easily is a big plus.

Another little feature I like is the auto alarm. I set it to beep every 20 minutes during the bike in an HIM to remind me to take in some calories or a drink because I tend to forget. There are actually lots of good features and I probably should read the manual to learn all about them

Anthony
2010-04-27 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2820493

Mooresville
Yes, the best of luck to you. You will do great.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24