Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-04-28 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2821692

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: BHannahs's Group - FULL!

flip18436572 - 2010-04-28 3:17 AM Is there an easy way to get to each persons training log, rather than finding them on the postings and then clicking on their log button?   I haven't found another way, and their has to be a "friends" page somewhere that I am not finding.  Thanks for helping the "newby"   :-)

Once you have people added to your friends list using the instructions below, all you have to to to get to someone's training log directly is click on their name or avatar (if they have one) on your friends list in your training log (your friends list is at the bottom of the left column).  Let me know if you still have questions!

From your training log page, click on settings at the top.  Click the tab for training log customization.  You will then see a friends tab.  When you click on it, you'll open a list.  You can enter the screen names in the blanks.  Then you click on update friends at the bottom and they will appear on your training log.   

2010-04-28 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2821692

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
flip18436572 - 2010-04-28 6:17 AM Is there an easy way to get to each persons training log, rather than finding them on the postings and then clicking on their log button?   I haven't found another way, and their has to be a "friends" page somewhere that I am not finding.  Thanks for helping the "newby"   :-)

When you open up your training log page if you have people listed as friends they appear on the left side if scroll down a bit. You can click on the friend then get to there logs.
2010-04-28 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2780242

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
So who wants to give me there take on heart rate training zones. How do you use to your benefit while training?
2010-04-28 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2822698

User image

Regular

I love my heart rate monitor!  I use it most of the time I exercise(now training).  I use it in a way that if I'm feeling like I'm working hard and my heart rate isn't up, I know I can go harder!  If my heart rate is up, I know I'm working as hard as I feel I am.  It gives me another metric.  I'm not always honest with myself as far as perceived exertion goes, so the HRM is something I can rely on to keep me on track and help convince myself I need to push harder. 

I have never felt the need to back off based on it alone, but when I did get to the point where I felt like I was over doing it in an early spin class, I looked down and was at 190....I can do that now, but then I felt very sick afterwards.

2010-04-28 11:58 AM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
I use my HR Training zones to ensure i am burning the maximum amount of fat as possible. It was explained to me by a couple fitness instructors that when i am exercising in my max zone my body will use the quickest and most accessible source of energy, weather it be muscle, fat, or whatever. when i stay in a lower zone my body is not starved for fuel, nor will it take the quickest route to find fuel, therefore will use the energy source that is abundant, in my case body fat. I assume that this is because the body has time to convert the stored carbs or fat into energy thus not robbing my body of important muscle mass. Additionally, as stated before, i never fail to use my protein supplement after a workout, this helps me recover faster, and builds lean muscle in place of the fat i burned. i put a couple links below if anyone is interested in calculating theirs. I should also add that i use a Garmin 305 and it will calculate my zones for me (separates's for run and bike), but i do have the option of using custom ones. 

http://www.sarkproducts.com/targetzonecalculator.htm

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/heart_rate/heart_rate_zone_calculator_abcc_bcf.html

2010-04-29 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2822095

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
For those of you that have one, how does your significant other feel about your training? In general my wife is supportive just so long as it doesn't interfere with family time or projects around the house. I try the best that I can to get up early but occasionally that doesn't work.

Any tips to keeping your partner supportive of your training? 

2010-04-29 8:10 AM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
So, what kind of training are we all doing today?

I scratched the bike ride due to the 25mph constant wind with 40 to 50mph gusts. Instead, weights at lunch, and a 5 mile run tonight.  
2010-04-29 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2824943

User image

Regular
acv - 2010-04-29 9:08 AM For those of you that have one, how does your significant other feel about your training? In general my wife is supportive just so long as it doesn't interfere with family time or projects around the house. I try the best that I can to get up early but occasionally that doesn't work.

First , my DH has been very supportive of my weightloss, and that involved a lot of time at the gym anyway, so switching over to training is only adding a little bit more.  I try to keep him involved in my decisions by sharing my plans.  He has a serious fishing habit, so anytime he is fishing, I am free to do my thing, but someone has to take care of the dogs.  When we first started dating seriously and shortly before we got engage, he told me I had to get a hobby so I wasn't sitting around the house waiting for him to come home.  
So, my short answer is to make sure the Sig. other has a hobby of their own to take up their time that would be spent waiting for you to get home.
We also bargain a lot, with favors and such, like, if I can go to the gym for an hour, I'll come home and clean the kitchen(which is usually his responsibility). 
2010-04-29 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2817205

New user

Tampa
Dave,

I love your quote! I feel the EXACT same way. That is my personal motivation that makes me train everyday =)
2010-04-29 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2824949

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

dmwill37 - 2010-04-29 9:10 AM So, what kind of training are we all doing today?

I scratched the bike ride due to the 25mph constant wind with 40 to 50mph gusts. Instead, weights at lunch, and a 5 mile run tonight.  

I went out on the bike this morning. I had a significant head wind on half the route. It set my time back a little. It was also cold. It supposed to be in the 70’s on Sat and Sun, but it was 40 for my ride this morning.

I went to the bike shop yesterday and the owner wants me to do the weekly rides with them. They are starting them this week he said he was starting off slow 20 miles.Surprised

2010-04-29 9:04 AM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
I don't have a significant other, but cant imagine how hard it must be to balance that, kudos to all of you who pull it off! 

2010-04-29 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2824943

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-04-29 6:08 AM For those of you that have one, how does your significant other feel about your training? In general my wife is supportive just so long as it doesn't interfere with family time or projects around the house. I try the best that I can to get up early but occasionally that doesn't work.

I am very lucky that my wife is very supportive.  Even though she has no interest in training or racing herself, she has never missed a race and always does whatever she can to help.  That said, I know she gets frustrated sometimes with the training load and my insistence on getting it in.  She does understand how important it is to me, which is why she is so supportive.

I try to minimize the impact to her by getting the training in before she wakes up in the morning.  I get up at 4:00 every morning (including weekends) to do chores around the house, train, and get to work on time.  Since I get up so early, I do have to get to bed early to get adequate rest.  We don't have children, which helps - if we did, I would feel guilty leaving and requiring her to care for them while I am out.  There are a couple of things that I do to help the compromise.  Since I get my time to get my training in the mornings, we have 'date nights' on Friday and Saturday night.  If there is somewhere she wants to go or something she wants to do, we do it.  I also try to be extra attentive when we are both at home.  Also, during the winter, I use the trainer in the garage for bike training - that way, if she wants to talk to me, I am easily accessible.  Even though I spend a lot of time training, I don't want to be an 'absentee husband'. 

It was definitely trickier when I was training for Ironman last year.  The hours were long and the training was exhausting at times.  I made sure that I had her buy-in before signing up and explained to her how things would be while the training was going on.  In our case, it was also an understanding that it was a one time thing - that I wouldn't be that immersed year after year.  Knowing that it was temporary and things would go back to normal this year made it easier for her to deal with, since there was a definite end date.

2010-04-29 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2824949

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

dmwill37 - 2010-04-29 6:10 AM So, what kind of training are we all doing today?

Just a short swim today - done by 5:45am!

If I were you, I would have scratched the bike ride, too, or at least moved it to the garage! 

2010-04-29 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2825109

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-04-29 6:57 AM

dmwill37 - 2010-04-29 9:10 AM So, what kind of training are we all doing today?

I went out on the bike this morning. I had a significant head wind on half the route. It set my time back a little. It was also cold. It supposed to be in the 70’s on Sat and Sun, but it was 40 for my ride this morning.

I went to the bike shop yesterday and the owner wants me to do the weekly rides with them. They are starting them this week he said he was starting off slow 20 miles.Surprised

I admire you getting out there in those temperatures, Adam!

You should go on thegroup ride.  I don't do them often, but they are a fun change of pace and sometimes being in a group will push you to go harder than you would if you were solo.  Give it a try!

2010-04-29 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2825100

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

trodrig23 - 2010-04-29 6:54 AM Dave,

I love your quote! I feel the EXACT same way. That is my personal motivation that makes me train everyday =)

I  love it, too!

It reminds me of two of my quotes...

The more I pushed my limits, the more I realized that I didn't have as many as I thought I did.

And when I was writing my last log entry before IMAZ last year, I wrote:

I have learned through my training that my mind is a bigger limiter than my body.  Because if this, I am ready.

When things get rough, I will think of the people who believe in me.  This will inspire me.  I will also think of the people who don't.  This will fuel my desire.  Because of these things, I am ready. 

2010-04-29 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Do any of you use yankz for your running shoes?

2010-04-29 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2825390

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-04-29 8:24 AM Do any of you use yankz for your running shoes?

I have used Yanks and Lock Laces on my shoes, and have since bought elastic cord and re-used the locks (very cheap alternative).  I like using some elastic lace system - keeps lacing consistent, and saves time.  Not a necessity, but a nice to have.   

2010-04-29 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2825430

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
BHannahs - 2010-04-29 11:32 AM

I have used Yanks and Lock Laces on my shoes, and have since bought elastic cord and re-used the locks (very cheap alternative).  I like using some elastic lace system - keeps lacing consistent, and saves time.  Not a necessity, but a nice to have.   

I was looking over my notes from the last years race and for some reason lacing up my shoes stuck out as being a PITA during the transition.

Race Belt Question:
Is there a particular race belt that like better than another. I've seen the fuel belts w/ the loops for gels not sure if it's a gimmick or a useful feature. I pinned the number on my shirt last year but I think I'm going to buy a tri-suit this year.

Edited by acv 2010-04-29 10:52 AM
2010-04-29 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2825491

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-04-29 8:49 AM

I was looking over my notes from the last years race and for some reason lacing up my shoes stuck out as being a PITA during the transition.

Race Belt Question:
Is there a particular race belt that like better than another. I've seen the fuel belts w/ the loops for gels not sure if it's a gimmick or a useful feature. I pinned the number on my shirt last year but I think I'm going to buy a tri-suit this year.

I have a Fuel Belt one, too - I highly recommend a race belt of some sort, although not one brand over another.  Quick and easy in transition, and no need to poke holes in your clothes with pins.  I also like that I can wear it with my number on the back for the bike and flip it around to my front for the run.  I have the type with cords that go through the holes in the number and then have a cord lock to hold the number on - I like this over ones with buttons that punch through the number because the cords provide some leeway for bibs where the holes are closer or further apart.  I haven't tried one to which I could attach gels - I don't think I would like the possibility of them flapping around, though - just my  two cents.  I usually just take gels from the course or carry them in a pocket.   

2010-04-29 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2825682

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
BHannahs - 2010-04-29 12:43 PM

acv - 2010-04-29 8:49 AM

Race Belt Question:

I have a Fuel Belt one, too - I highly recommend a race belt of some sort, although not one brand over another.  Quick and easy in transition, and no need to poke holes in your clothes with pins.  I also like that I can wear it with my number on the back for the bike and flip it around to my front for the run.  I have the type with cords that go through the holes in the number and then have a cord lock to hold the number on - I like this over ones with buttons that punch through the number because the cords provide some leeway for bibs where the holes are closer or further apart.  I haven't tried one to which I could attach gels - I don't think I would like the possibility of them flapping around, though - just my  two cents.  I usually just take gels from the course or carry them in a pocket.   

I've seen the one with the cord locks that one looks nice. Good point on fliping it around. Thanks for the info.
2010-04-29 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Hey, everyone.  Jenndslp is racing this weekend (10k).  Be sure to send her inspires.  Is anyone else racing this coming weekend?

2010-04-30 5:16 AM
in reply to: #2826168

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
Let's go JENNDSLP!!!! 

My work and band schedule took my out of my event for this weekend.
2010-04-30 5:20 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
My wife supports me on my quest to become more healthy and understands that I sometimes will take off on a 2 hour bike ride, but I do my best to schedule it around our family schedule.  I think the best thing is to let them know what you are trying to do and do the best to make the schedule of the workouts work for everyone.   My job has taken away my chance to swim early mornings, so now I get them in at night, around my daughter's high school sports, my band practices and meetings that I need to attend (half marathon committee and trails committee).
2010-04-30 5:38 AM

User image

New user

Virginia Beach
First sprint tri is saturday. Smith Mountain Lake, VA...Just looking not to finish last!

Good luck to eveyone else and have fun, that's what it's all about, right!
2010-04-30 8:01 AM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
good luck to everyone on their upcoming races! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BHannahs's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 21