BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jon Metz's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2010-04-22 4:46 PM
in reply to: #2796294

Subject: RE: Jon Metz's Group - FULL
Well I'm going to the book store tomorrow or Saturday to get the Triathlete magazine you referenced.  Would you consider that a good plan over the one on this site?

2010-04-22 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2811026

User image

Master
mcox06 - 2010-04-22 5:46 PM Well I'm going to the book store tomorrow or Saturday to get the Triathlete magazine you referenced.  Would you consider that a good plan over the one on this site?
Yes!
2010-04-23 7:33 AM

I am so happy today.  I swam my first 500m straight without any break.  I started out with 2 x 250m 1x 300m 1 x 500m then 2 x 100m.  I have a meeting with a tri coach next Friday to go over my form.  Hopefully this will be very productive.  I might also get him to coach me for a longer time.  Anyone heard of oneononeendurance.com.  This is the guy that happens to be local to my area.  Plus he knows the guys I workout with now and occasionally trains with them and gives some pointers.  I'm very excited!

Also when I swim easy it seems like I could stay at the pool longer than the recommended time from my program.  Ie today was 40 mins but I went over accidentally to 45mins.  But I could have stayed an hour....Does this mean I should try and do more intense shorter intervals?

Edited by mcox06 2010-04-23 8:00 AM
2010-04-23 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2811753

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
mcox06 - 2010-04-23 7:33 AM I am so happy today.  I swam my first 500m straight without any break.  I started out with 2 x 250m 1x 300m 1 x 500m then 2 x 100m.  I have a meeting with a tri coach next Friday to go over my form.  Hopefully this will be very productive.  I might also get him to coach me for a longer time.  Anyone heard of oneononeendurance.com.  This is the guy that happens to be local to my area.  Plus he knows the guys I workout with now and occasionally trains with them and gives some pointers.  I'm very excited!

Also when I swim easy it seems like I could stay at the pool longer than the recommended time from my program.  Ie today was 40 mins but I went over accidentally to 45mins.  But I could have stayed an hour....Does this mean I should try and do more intense shorter intervals?

Way to go!
2010-04-23 1:11 PM

User image

Regular
So one of my stupid questions is about tri specific tops.  I'm looking into getting one, and was under the impression the handiness of their design is you put it on and wear it for the whole race.  So, wear it under your wetsuit?  Because if you don't I'd think you could easily also just wear a cycling jersey.

Which brings me to my next stupid question series, where do race belts fit into this?  How necessary are they?  Do you wear those under your wetsuit, or wait and put your bib on in transition?  Wouldn't the bottom of the bib fly up a bit?  Why do we have bibs if they write on us?  Do all tris have bibs?

Just trying to figure out what I'll need for race day....
2010-04-23 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2812647

User image

St. Louis
Aneides - 2010-04-23 2:11 PM So one of my stupid questions is about tri specific tops.  I'm looking into getting one, and was under the impression the handiness of their design is you put it on and wear it for the whole race.  So, wear it under your wetsuit?  Because if you don't I'd think you could easily also just wear a cycling jersey.

Which brings me to my next stupid question series, where do race belts fit into this?  How necessary are they?  Do you wear those under your wetsuit, or wait and put your bib on in transition?  Wouldn't the bottom of the bib fly up a bit?  Why do we have bibs if they write on us?  Do all tris have bibs?

Speaking from experience, I would say yes, definitely wear your tri top under your wetsuit AND get a race belt. I didn't do either of those and ended up spending 8:42 in T1 getting both on. Had I already had my top on and a race belt I would have had an average T1 and finished 15 or so places higher.

2010-04-24 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2812657

User image

Master
mponder - 2010-04-23 2:16 PM
Aneides - 2010-04-23 2:11 PM So one of my stupid questions is about tri specific tops.  I'm looking into getting one, and was under the impression the handiness of their design is you put it on and wear it for the whole race.  So, wear it under your wetsuit?  Because if you don't I'd think you could easily also just wear a cycling jersey.

Speaking from experience, I would say yes, definitely wear your tri top under your wetsuit AND get a race belt. I didn't do either of those and ended up spending 8:42 in T1 getting both on. Had I already had my top on and a race belt I would have had an average T1 and finished 15 or so places higher.
I agree with wearing your tri top under your wetsuit. and using a race belt. Some race belts are designed to carry gels, pill dispensers and asthma inhalers as well. In some races wearing the bib number during the run is the only time it is required. In this case you would put on your race belt (with the number already attached) in T2. When the bib number is required for both the bike and the run you have an option to put the race belt on (with the number already attached) in T1 or if the bib number is made out of a tyvek-type material you can wear it under your wetsuit. Every tri that I know of uses bibs at least for the run. Most often the bib will be required for the bike and run. Bib numbers are easier to see than the body markings and the officials will mark your bib number if you receive a penalty. In many cases I think the amount of numbers can be overkill. For example, I have been in races where my race number was on one hand, both arms, both thighs, bike, helmet, and bib number. Then add age on one calf and race type on the other calf. Oh, and don't forget your number is how the event photography company can identify you and try to sell you an overpriced race photo!
2010-04-24 11:53 AM

So i got the triathlete magazine today and like the layout of the 12 week plan.  It gives me some more detail into how intense I should be training.  I also like how it tells me good places to add some strength training.  I think now the biggest challenge is going to be how to figure out how much food I should be eating.  I have never been so hungry after an 80 min bike ride in the evening.  I thought I would never get full even having a banana during the ride.
2010-04-25 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2797019

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Jon Metz's Group - OPEN
mponder - 2010-04-16 4:00 PM I need some good motivation and a mentor. I just completed my first sprint on 4/10 (0.5m/10m/4m) in 1:25:53, and got the tri bug, which I knew I would. I'm competing in St. Anthony's (OLY) on 4/25 in St. Pete, FL with a goal time of 3:20.

My story: Played hockey in college and studied engineering, graduated, stopped working out and started sitting at a desk, then got out of shape and overweight. About two years ago I was tired of feeling, well... blah, I got back into the gym and started running. Last year I started swimming, and this year I got into tri's. In the last two years I've dropped 25lbs and I'm now back to my college weight.
I'm very competitive with myself and would like some tips from experienced triathletes to better my results.
I just looked up your race results. You hit your goal time! Great job!
2010-04-25 7:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
Race Report from my Sprint today

total time was 1:22 and change ... at the time of the posting that was 17th in my age group and I think I probably stayed somewhere around there. The final results arent up yet so I dont have a breakdown of the times and I want to compare them against what I have for the bike and run (I didnt time the swim, apparently too nervous to remember to start my watch when I jumped in the pool)

All in all, I think it went well.. pool swim was crazy. somone going in about every 5 seconds so the last 5 or 6 lengths bottle necked at the turns and really slowed me down. T1 was good. no issues at all getting in and out of transition. had everything laid out and ready and I thought I did pretty good here. The bike was a good ride with a mix of hills and flat terrain however I think I left some time on the course here. I didnt know what to save for the run so I took this a little easier than I probably could have. Going uphill in a 20mph wind is always fun! T2 was good. got in and got out quickly. (note to self) get some of the quick cinch shoe laces! going out on the run, it took about 3/4 to 1 mile to really get my legs under me again, at least thats what I thought at the time, but mile 1 was my fastest, mile 3 was 2nd fastest and mile 2 was my slowest ...

I felt really good when it was all over with as I can say I completed my first triathlon. I have another Sprint in 3 weeks but it has a longer swim and bike and the swim is in open water, so a new set of challenges await!

Thanks Jon for all your help so far!
2010-04-25 7:05 PM
in reply to: #2815555

User image

Master
se7930 - 2010-04-25 8:00 PM Race Report from my Sprint today

total time was 1:22 and change ... at the time of the posting that was 17th in my age group and I think I probably stayed somewhere around there. The final results arent up yet so I dont have a breakdown of the times and I want to compare them against what I have for the bike and run (I didnt time the swim, apparently too nervous to remember to start my watch when I jumped in the pool)

All in all, I think it went well.. pool swim was crazy. somone going in about every 5 seconds so the last 5 or 6 lengths bottle necked at the turns and really slowed me down. T1 was good. no issues at all getting in and out of transition. had everything laid out and ready and I thought I did pretty good here. The bike was a good ride with a mix of hills and flat terrain however I think I left some time on the course here. I didnt know what to save for the run so I took this a little easier than I probably could have. Going uphill in a 20mph wind is always fun! T2 was good. got in and got out quickly. (note to self) get some of the quick cinch shoe laces! going out on the run, it took about 3/4 to 1 mile to really get my legs under me again, at least thats what I thought at the time, but mile 1 was my fastest, mile 3 was 2nd fastest and mile 2 was my slowest ...

I felt really good when it was all over with as I can say I completed my first triathlon. I have another Sprint in 3 weeks but it has a longer swim and bike and the swim is in open water, so a new set of challenges await!

Sounds great! You will take something away from every race (and workout) that you do. Again great job. I look forward to helping you in anyway that I can in the coming months!

2010-04-25 9:40 PM
in reply to: #2815223

User image

St. Louis
Subject: RE: Jon Metz's Group - OPEN
I just looked up your race results. You hit your goal time! Great job!

I wish I would have stayed with a goal time of 3:20, I decided last week that I could do better and lowered that significantly. My race was okay, I guess - I should be happy that I finished... My run was awful, I ended up walking quite a bit of it. The water was very choppy, but ended with a pretty good time - no wetsuit. The race itself is awesome, can't wait for it again next year, I just need to be more prepared. I was right behind a really bad wreck, first time I've seen that. I felt like stopping but didn't, if I would have it would've been more of a problem for the race staff. 

All in all I had a fantastic time, just upset with myself. Looking forward to next race.

Edited by mponder 2010-04-25 9:51 PM
2010-04-25 9:43 PM

User image

St. Louis
I've also read rumors that the swim was shortened quite a bit for the later waves today at St. Anthony's. A few people are mentioning it in the race talk link here.
2010-04-26 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2815566

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
jonmetz - 2010-04-25 7:05 PM
se7930 - 2010-04-25 8:00 PM Race Report from my Sprint today

Sounds great! You will take something away from every race (and workout) that you do. Again great job. I look forward to helping you in anyway that I can in the coming months!

Times are officially posted now ... 5:12 swim, 2:35 T1, 46:27 Bike, 1:40 T2, and 26:30 Run ... I thought I did better in the transitions than theses times show so that gives me something to focus on.. I knew my bike time wasnt going to be good because that is the newest portion for me and definitely gives me something to focus on for my next race and as I said yesterdya I know I left a few minutes on the bike course. My posted run time was faster than I timed myself and was PB for me for 5K.
2010-04-26 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2815555

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

se7930 - 2010-04-25 7:00 PM Race Report from my Sprint today

Congrats!! Nice job! Hope everyone had a great weekend.

2010-04-26 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2816562

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
amyjotris - 2010-04-26 9:27 AM

se7930 - 2010-04-25 7:00 PM Race Report from my Sprint today

Congrats!! Nice job! Hope everyone had a great weekend.

thank you!

2010-04-26 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
I am about to embark on my HIM training program I printed from the BT site. On most days it has a swim and a bike or swim and a run, etc ... I assume unless otherwise notated, that these do not have to be done back to back? for example Monday has a 40 minute run RPE 3 then a swim (long day) wu with 200 swim,200 kick, 200 pull, then 1x1500 REP 4 and a cool down ... does it matter if one of these is in the morning and one is in the afternoon or is it better if I do them in succession.

Edited by se7930 2010-04-26 2:41 PM
2010-04-26 2:50 PM
in reply to: #2817646

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

se7930 - 2010-04-26 2:40 PM I am about to embark on my HIM training program I printed from the BT site. On most days it has a swim and a bike or swim and a run, etc ... I assume unless otherwise notated, that these do not have to be done back to back? for example Monday has a 40 minute run RPE 3 then a swim (long day) wu with 200 swim,200 kick, 200 pull, then 1x1500 REP 4 and a cool down ... does it matter if one of these is in the morning and one is in the afternoon or is it better if I do them in succession.

When I trained for Ironman..I took what I could get.  I did part of my workout in the morning and part in the afternoon.  I think it all depends on your life,  family time...job...etc.  I do not think it has to be done back to back.

2010-04-26 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2817680

User image

Master
amyjotris - 2010-04-26 3:50 PM

se7930 - 2010-04-26 2:40 PM I am about to embark on my HIM training program I printed from the BT site. On most days it has a swim and a bike or swim and a run, etc ... I assume unless otherwise notated, that these do not have to be done back to back? for example Monday has a 40 minute run RPE 3 then a swim (long day) wu with 200 swim,200 kick, 200 pull, then 1x1500 REP 4 and a cool down ... does it matter if one of these is in the morning and one is in the afternoon or is it better if I do them in succession.

When I trained for Ironman..I took what I could get.  I did part of my workout in the morning and part in the afternoon.  I think it all depends on your life,  family time...job...etc.  I do not think it has to be done back to back.

Correct! Unless it specifies the workout as a brick, you can do one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
2010-04-26 3:36 PM

User image

St. Louis
Just posted my RR from St. Anthony's if anyone is curious.
2010-04-26 7:59 PM
in reply to: #2817811

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
mponder - 2010-04-26 3:36 PM Just posted my RR from St. Anthony's if anyone is curious.

great job!

2010-04-27 8:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
When doing swim work 4x100 or 8x100, should I keep my rest in between to 30 seconds or less, or should I be closer to 1 minute in between?
2010-04-27 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2819044

User image

Master
se7930 - 2010-04-27 9:18 AM When doing swim work 4x100 or 8x100, should I keep my rest in between to 30 seconds or less, or should I be closer to 1 minute in between?
The rest period between sets will change based on the focus of the workout. However, somewhere between 20-30 seconds is probably good. If you want to change it up a bit you can change the rest interval. For example the 4X100 could look like this (100 and rest for 30 sec., 100 and rest for 25 sec., 100 and rest for 20 sec., 100 and rest for 15 sec.).
2010-04-27 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2819248

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
jonmetz - 2010-04-27 9:14 AM
se7930 - 2010-04-27 9:18 AM When doing swim work 4x100 or 8x100, should I keep my rest in between to 30 seconds or less, or should I be closer to 1 minute in between?
The rest period between sets will change based on the focus of the workout. However, somewhere between 20-30 seconds is probably good. If you want to change it up a bit you can change the rest interval. For example the 4X100 could look like this (100 and rest for 30 sec., 100 and rest for 25 sec., 100 and rest for 20 sec., 100 and rest for 15 sec.).

Gotcha .. thanks!
2010-04-28 9:15 AM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Morning everyone...had to bump this up...it was wayyy at the bottom.  I am actually going to try to get in the pool today.. Wish me luck.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jon Metz's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9