BT Development Mentor Program Archives » European Tri-Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2011-01-26 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3322764

User image

Subject: RE: European Tri-Group - CLOSED
HerveB - 2011-01-26 7:25 PM Hello everyone, 

.... concerning weight loss, again my recipe is simple (no bread, no sugar, no alcohol - that is when I am in weight loss mode)

Hi Aidan and welcome! For what's worth - not being a doctor or a dietitian, I subscribe to Herve's recipe.
I loose weight when I cut bread and sugar (not a big deal for me), alcohol (sorry I just cannot fully do it: the best I can is pour one small glass and put the bottle away to make sure I stick to that one  Innocent).

I find I also need to stop eating fruit. Never give up vegetables! (and I am talking green vegetables, potatoes are off limit...)
In the end this is basically the Atkins diet - their phase 1.

Ciao!

2011-01-26 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3311656

User image

Subject: RE: European Tri-Group - OPEN
Ciao!
Sorry, I am behind with posts.

Thanks a lot, but no thanks ... no way I am going to "swim uphill" in the Genova area Wink

However a race in Milan city on 17 July feels like it's going to be really really hot - or? You are not planning on that, right?
I'll go back and look at the posts, I seem to remember you listed the races you are doing in 2011
It may be a good way for me to start, just watching someone "I know", so to speak!

Buona serata!
2011-01-27 1:42 AM
in reply to: #3256172

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hello my triathlete friends, 

Went runnning early morning and was very proud of myself, first time this year. Could not see nothing though...and that after a tough swim training yesterday.

For those of you who are interested in improving their kick, here is a video I received yesterday. Worth checking out! http://swimmingsecretsexposed.com/video3

Train well, cheers, Herve. 
2011-01-27 3:01 PM
in reply to: #3323917

User image

Thanks for sharing the video! Good ideas to try out next time.
I usually run in the mornings, 06:30 or so - and fog is quite think here, so I guess I share the "pain", so to speak Laughing

Good weekend Cristina
2011-01-29 10:32 AM

Hard day, first little running and then a few tree down with chainsaw.
Now sauna and a few beers. Maybe not so tri-food or drink but tastes good.
2011-01-29 10:44 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-01-30 3:34 AM

Bishop's Stortford, England
Just a little update of my train: my planned wensday train was 1 h 30' of simple run and friday 45' of bike and 45' of swim.
Wendsday evening, I had a problem with my car, then I could not train in the evening and friday I could not go work.
Then, friday morning, I had my first outside train with 1 hour of running in the mountain near home (a sort of sky running)... then at 11 AM I also run to my bike shop to take my new road bike and return home with 45' of uphill. No problem for the lost swimming train: it's my best sport and I'll start my races program with some duathlon...
Today I tried a bike session outside, but I started at 8.30 AM and was very cold: after 45' I returned home and I'll make the rest of train on spinbike Wink

For Cristina: I don't have in program Milan oly, but I want go to Tarzo race on 03/07 because is the Italian Championship. Tarzo is near Treviso and is a very beautiful race, but has a little strong bike. Not an impossible race, but if you want to come here, I suggest you to make a simple (real) sprint race before, to take confidence with all the procedures of a race because there will be more athletes than a normal rank race and this can make a lot of confusion. Another question is to sign for this race you must be part of a triathlon team because this race isn't open to amateur athletes.
2011-01-30 5:43 AM

Regular
The Netherlands
Hello Everyone, 

Just back from mountain biking, I had plans to do 30Ks this morning but my saddle came undone and I cut it short to 15K, MTB without saddle is not an experience I'm interested in. This concludes a decent training week for me, I managed to put a bit of distance and intensity, despite a trip to Spain Thursday / Friday. Next week I'll take it very easy, cause I have my first "official" run of the season during the weekend (16K) I think if it's dry I should be relatively fast for this time of the season. 

Alberto sorry for the car problems, sometimes things don't exactly work out the way we plan, but you'll make up for it I'm sure.

Ali well done on the bike, despite the cold (it has returned to very cold here too - I dont like it) keep doing your breathing drills in the pool! 

Jirky, I think the chainsaw work counts for training, I'm not sure if it's speed or  power, but it's must count for something! 

Cristina, I can't really help you finding a race in Italy, I like the small races that are organised around a festival, we have quite a few here in the Netherlands, they are less competitive and often with a nice atmosphere, maybe you can find some info on the Italian triathlon federation website?

Right, train well, Cheers, Hervé  
2011-01-30 11:20 AM

Hi All,

Thanks for leaving the door open for me its much appreciated....
Got off my butt this week and started in on the running not quite what you recommended Harve but I have completed.

2 x swimming sessions
2 x 5km run sessions.

I have just received my bad weather gear for the bike so I will be out and about next week on that.
I assisted with one of the qualifiers for the Irish national Dualthon's good to see how it all comes together and how the transitions work.

My plan is to compete in a dualathon March, and then lead into a number of Sprint Triathalons soon after that.

Well I am now looking at my diet - "No potatoes" now that's just bad for any Irishman as it si the stable diet over here......my mums not going to be impressed with me.....Wink

Well I will drop back in over the next few days to see what other hints I can pick up..it looks like there will be a lot of early morning training coming up for me just to ensure I have family time.....I will let you all know how that goes.

Aidan
2011-01-30 11:47 AM

hey peeps,

I haven't managed to post here this week so I thought an update was in order.

My recovery week last week went pretty well. I only trained tri sports 3 times and the bike was even at a fairly low intensity. The swim was about a 5 on the rpe scale but the run was a toughie. I have posted the info on my training log from Wednesday but basically was 5 miles in 200m intervals then 2x1600m. It is the tri club track session so it was flat but god I was knackered at the end.

Bit of resistance conditioning on Thursday and rest days Sunday, Tuesday and Friday made for a good week.

This week has started awesomely. 30 mile (48k for you metrics) bike on Saturday morning followed by the tri club swim session in the evening. Bike was fairly gentle but the swim was good and hard. Lots of fast intervals to keep the lactate levels up.

Managed to get out on the road bike today (yes that is 2 days in a row and I can still move around) and did just under 17 miles (27k) at a decent pace and up a MASSIVE hill. Fortunately I got to go down the other side so very happy. Run and swim tomorrow and then a rest day Tuesday and I am feeling really good about it. 

As an aside, I think I have found a suitable saddle. The fact that I can be on the bike 2 days in a row and for a total of about 4.5 hours means it is far better than the old one. A big thanks goes to my local bike shop for letting me borrow it before I buy it. I am going to give it a couple more rides, but generally I am very happy. My sit bones are less happy but its much better that than the soft tissues in between get a battering (which they were before)

Final bit of kit I am looking for is some overshoes for the bike. The temp is still only 2-5 degrees C here and my feet were freezing both days. I don't mind getting these off the net, but I don't want to pay a lot. Can anyone suggest any decent ones that they have got/had in the past/tried etc?

Aiden - nice to have you along, don't forget to friend everyone so they can check out your training log.

Cheers guys and train well.

Kev 
2011-01-30 1:41 PM

Kew, try Shimano RW-80. I have those shoes and shoes are wery warm.
Take a little bit bigger shoes than yours normally and if nessesery you can
put extra soxs in.
edit... sorry, I look fist that you want to buy new wintershoes but you want overshoes.
I have been problems with overshoes, those thing are not good in my opinion.
Botton of overshoes are so thin and coldness goes in foot..
Buy wintershoes...

Edited by Flash67 2011-01-30 1:48 PM

2011-02-01 1:45 PM

Regular
The Netherlands
Hello European triathletes,

Tapper week for me as I am running this week part of our regional tri-championship. Swam yesterday (not very well) and went to the gym today for a bit of core training, but mostly it will be a recovery week, with a bit of short high intensity training.

Aidan good that you have taken the first step. You don't need to start straight away with a full week, it's actually better to add little by little. Your mom also should not worry too much; potatoes are not necessarily bad and it depends on the way you cook them (boiled they can be a good pre-training meal). Be conscious that although you way to loose weight, your body also has an increased need of energy caused by the increased activity, so it's really a balancing exercise. 

Kev good to read that you are on the right track, nothing beats the local shop when it comes to this type of services (even though I think nowadays some internet shops also offer it).

Alberto you wrote that you got yourself a new bike, can't help but ask you what did you get yourself (Christmas is a bit far away now...

Now, time to go to bed and watch Dexter, train well, cheers, Herve. 
2011-02-03 5:23 AM

hey Flash, 

Thanks for the input. I am trying to limit the amount of money I spend on stuff where possible. It's warmed up this week to about 7 degrees C but its still a touch nippy.

I got some overshoes to try from Chain Reaction Cycles for about 17 pounds which is much cheaper than new shoes. I have massive feet which makes buying shoes to fit a real challenge and can also make them expensive so I am trying to overshoes first. Pretty much everyone here has them and they seem to be ok, but I will take your input on board.

Nothing much seems to be going on in this group. Perhaps everyone could give us an update of where they are at, how they are doing etc?

Catch you all shortly

Kev 
2011-02-03 10:17 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-02-03 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3336670

corybantes - 2011-02-03 1:23 PM hey Flash, 

Thanks for the input. I am trying to limit the amount of money I spend on stuff where possible. It's warmed up this week to about 7 degrees C but its still a touch nippy.

I got some overshoes to try from Chain Reaction Cycles for about 17 pounds which is much cheaper than new shoes. I have massive feet which makes buying shoes to fit a real challenge and can also make them expensive so I am trying to overshoes first. Pretty much everyone here has them and they seem to be ok, but I will take your input on board.

Nothing much seems to be going on in this group. Perhaps everyone could give us an update of where they are at, how they are doing etc?

Catch you all shortly

Kev 

I hope yours overshoes are good.
Were I am going.... my plan is that in wintertime I just "training" mostly running and as much as possible swiming. ( swimmingpool was not near me). Goal is weihgtloss. Maybe in april I take a good tri-plan and then start good planned training. I must buy wetsuit in may and start swimming in sea. I live near sea (about one km). My goal is 15.7 when is finntri in Joroinen.
2011-02-05 4:07 AM

Regular
The Netherlands
Hello Everyone, 

Finally weekend! For me that means the first race of the season, 16K run. Forecast is for rain and heavy wind...That should be fun, but no record time I think.

It is also the beginning of a new month, good time to review your objectives, what you have done so far and how you plan to tackle the rest. So, if you have not done it already, enter your training plan for February taking in account what you have done so far, and what's left. Normally, depending where you live, it should start to get a little bit less cold, meaning you should be able to get more time on the old bike. But Feb is still winter, so that means core and strength training for most of us. and if you have some issues with that throw it in the group. For instance, don't worry if you have done less than you planned, but consider why prevented you from achieving your plan and what you should adjust to make it in Feb. 

Good to hear about your progresses Ali. I often start my swim training tired on Mondays, but once in the water I forget about it, and I get out more energetic that I went in. That's mostly hormonal I guess as you exercise you release endorphins and adrenaline that make you feel better.

Jirky be sure to get yourself a good swimsuit - they get better and better, but having the right size is essential. I should recommend blueseventy (cause they sponsor me) but other wetsuits are probably similar, but again there it's all a question of size and flexibility at the right places. I would also recommend that you get it in spring, so you can train with it (it feels weird at first), and that you never Ever swim in the open on your own!!! (not that you necessarily need to swim with someone nearby, but having people around in case of problem cramps, or some like that, can save your life).  

Right, I'm going to watch Saturday Kitchen now, so train well and have a great weekend! Cheers Herve 

2011-02-05 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3340246

HerveB - 2011-02-05 11:07 AM Hello Everyone, 

Finally weekend! For me that means the first race of the season, 16K run. Forecast is for rain and heavy wind...That should be fun, but no record time I think. 

Fun? With rain and heavy wind in february? My anchestors said "de gustibus non disputandum est"... but be wet with the cold wind does not have to be nice! At the end... good luck!
I just ended my first soft week (in training, not at work), tomorrow will be an off day but from monday I'll start again with hard train. Here is raining, I can't make a good tour on my new road bike Cry
Bye,
Alberto

2011-02-06 6:04 AM

Regular
The Netherlands
Hello there,

Just back from my 10 miles running (that's 16.1K). It went surprisingly well. To start with, it was dry which is rather nice, we even saw few rays of sun towards the end. There was a mighty wind, but I ran very tactical hiding behind big guys when we were against the wind, and taking my turn in front in the easy parts (I know that's a bit sneaky, but I call it tactical...) result: I had set myself an objective of 1:15:00 and did 1:14:37, being just a wee bit faster on every single split. That's a proper time for February and considering that I am a warm weather animal. So, I'm pleased with that, time to eat now and enjoy the rest of the weekend. 

Train well, Cheers, Herve.  
2011-02-06 1:49 PM

Subject: Bloating and swelling = normal??
Hi

I started traveling again (for work) so my training is going ... well ... up in the air I guess is the right way of describing it

Did two 30 mins treadmill sessions in the hotel gym plus some core on fit ball, 1 hour road bike yesterday and swimming (30 mins) and running (40 mins) today - Sunday. Running was quite difficult after too much food and wine at my parents' place and the two hours drive that it takes me to get back to where I live Embarassed

Experiencing quite some swelling - I describe myself as having "eyes as a panda" - you may get the idea, those white circles around a panda's eyes? Well, in my case they are not white, but "just" bloating.... Reading somewhere that long trainings can do this to you ... long trainings? One hour on the bike?? Uhm .. I may be in the wrong league here - should probably just sit on the couch and read

Wish you all a great week - I am planning some bike tomorrow again, but it will have to be indoor.

2011-02-07 11:38 AM

Regular
The Netherlands
Hello all and Cristina in particular, 

Hum swelling around the eyes. That's not a pathology I'm familiar with, one question though do you wear glasses when you ride your bike? (because if you don't, it's a mandatory equipment, I once got hit by a bee at 45km/h, it hurts...)

Reading about your week, I can't help but thinking that you might be making excuses, can't do this because...can't do that because...I'm not to judge cause I don't know anything about your life but if your goal is important to you, then there is always a way. When I start making excuses for myself (because I do, like tonight, I don't feel like swimming) I watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obdd31Q9PqA
I find it quite inspirational!  Maybe it works for you too? 

Anyway, if you do not wear glasses, please consider buying some, train well, cheers, Herve 
2011-02-08 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3343117

HerveB - 2011-02-07 6:38 PM Hello all and Cristina in particular, 
Hum swelling around the eyes. That's not a pathology I'm familiar with, one question though do you wear glasses when you ride your bike? (because if you don't, it's a mandatory equipment, I once got hit by a bee at 45km/h, it hurts...)
Anyway, if you do not wear glasses, please consider buying some

Hi H
I don't have glasses, and I should buy them - good point.  The puffed eyes are a matter of sodium / water retention which apparently gets worse (before getting better, they say ... Frown) when you build / increase training.

A great week to all !

2011-02-08 3:36 PM

Glasses make a huge difference. I wear them normally to see, but use contacts for exercise. I bought a cheap pair of sunglasses with changeable lenses. 1 tinted dark, 1 for low light and 1 completely clear. I have been using the low light lenses mostly and it makes a huge difference. 

You can pay a fortune for decent sunglasses, but I wouldn't bother, unless that is you need the brand, in which case get some oakleys

Cheers

Kev 
2011-02-08 11:53 PM

Easy week, weeks first run. Next week I try to inreace training about one hour/week. That means my training/week is about 4 hours. It´s nice if I have somekind of indoor biking system, so I can train much more in wintertime.
2011-02-10 2:17 AM

Strong week for me: now I started work a lot to intensity instead of long trains.
For sunglasses: I bought a new pair last year with 3 pairs of lens. I don't use them always, only when the sun is really strong. if I can, I prefer run light as possible (no sunglasses, no watch, no hat, no socks) but is just a personal matter: I have many friend that uses sunglasses in winter to protect his eyes... and they see me like an alien in bike without glasses Laughing

2011-02-10 12:27 PM

Regular
The Netherlands
Hello Everyone, 

Sorry I've been away a bit (tough week at the office - happens sometimes).

Sun glasses - they are not just about the sun, the ones I wear don't protect so much from sun as they protect me from objects flying in my eyes at high velocity...once you experience that once, you will wear them. Also people eyes sensitivity is different, I cry easily in the cold (because I am sad to live in a cold country I guess) but also because my eyes are a bit sensitive, and sounds like I'm not the only one but again a pair at 20E will do the same job as a pair of Okley (just make sure the branches do not compress the back of your ears, that's quite uncomfortable). 

So some strong weeks this week, some easy ones. I have offered myself a recovery week to celebrate my good time last Sunday, and I don't want to pick too soon. This weekend it will be a bit of easy short distance running (10K) and some MTB cause next on my list is a Duathlon 6th of March and that will be my first ever, so I don't know what to expect. 

Right easy or hard, train well, keep posting, cheers, Herve 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » European Tri-Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 8