of 76

2010-12-26 7:08 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
Hey Everyone.

Made it to Panama City Beach Florida safe and sound. Only took about twice as long as I expected.

I was hoping the pool at the condo would be better but it is just big enough to do some breathing drills and work on a bit of a catch up drill.

Very cold here as well.

Anyway, that is it - more tomorrow I hope.

KC

2010-12-26 7:16 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Great workouts today, I slacked and had a few beverages that were unplanned. I think we will have to agree to disagree on the mileage over time as it personal preference.   

Scott you are absolutely correct you have to worry most about over-training.  Also what courses do you have for the CT? I just picked up St. Gorge/ WI, had IMCDA/Kona.

Tim your spot on to about having quality workouts over just logging miles,  I don't think I have a prayer to hold a 1:38 right now (great job), I wondered why your time was off your training pace so much.  I have not swam since IMKY so just hitting the pool would be good for me.  Thanks Again for the group list!!!!!

Awesome run deb, how do you feel?

KC glad you made it, weather is terrible,

Jason what kind of bike did you get?  Trainers are great for workouts if you have a set plan, alot of people get on and watch tv and forget to do a workout and just ride for XXX minutes. 

Edited by razorxp 2010-12-26 7:17 PM
2010-12-26 7:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

IM Moo is the only one yet for 3D.  I have to fire that up soon.
2010-12-26 7:20 PM
in reply to: #3262224

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
IceManScott - 2010-12-26 8:18 PM
IM Moo is the only one yet for 3D.  I have to fire that up soon.

Is 3d the new software they have?  You must have bought your recently.  Is it worth upgrading?
2010-12-26 7:48 PM

User image

Veteran
i bought a felt.  really i just got tired of looking at bikes.  i  dont know how many times over the past month i changed my mind. 
2010-12-26 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3262253

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
gabrelsj - 2010-12-26 8:48 PM i bought a felt.  really i just got tired of looking at bikes.  i  dont know how many times over the past month i changed my mind. 

Its hard to find one that not only fits you right but you like the look.  My father inlaw has a felt (b12 I think) and loves it.

2010-12-26 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I actually felt pretty good afterwards. Hips feel a little tender now though, so I tried a roller (noodle) that my running partner swears by.

I plan on hitting the pool tomorrow for a decent swim if they are open, this storm is 'supposed' to give us up to 2ft of white stuff by the time it finally leaves.

And yes, I will be very happy when I turn out the light tonight Laughing
2010-12-26 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Mass.
I do two swims, two bikes and two runs a week. I don't like training on weekends unless I have two, so that forces me to do at least one brick a week. I'll do a pyramid set of pushups three times a week, and that sums up my core/weight training. What do you folks do for strength/core? How long do the work outs take?
2010-12-26 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3262279

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
kdevarenne - 2010-12-26 9:26 PM I do two swims, two bikes and two runs a week. I don't like training on weekends unless I have two, so that forces me to do at least one brick a week. I'll do a pyramid set of pushups three times a week, and that sums up my core/weight training. What do you folks do for strength/core? How long do the work outs take?

I had been doing womens strength training - 1 hr, 3x's a week at my local Y for the last 18 mos. However, in January I am switching to performance strength training instead 1hr, 2x's week.
2010-12-26 9:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
My CT is new.  I haven't tried the 3D stuff yet.  My coach has been capitalizing my time   I plan on it the first chance I get...whener that will me.  Using the coaching software exclusively, crs and mrc files.  Love it.

Strength training got a boost up on the agenda when I hit my IT band in last September.  I couldn't run or bike so I put more into the pool more often and did strength.  Now I won't go with out it.  I do 30 mins weights (moderate high reps) and 30 mins physical fitness training 2X a week. 

As far as a bike goes, most companies make good ones so find the one that fits you, get a professional fit and ride it like you stole it.  I always advise folks to make sure they buy a bike they like cause they will be glued to it several hours a week.  I love my bikes. Bought one new Giant TRCc1 with Ultegra in 2006 and absolutely love it.  Then I decided to learn more about bikes and got a friend to help me build a Le Mond titanium up with Dura Ace...got it down for less than half of a new....and then last year same with a Orbea Ordu with SRAM Rival for time trials and triathlons.  Bought a great pristine frame and built it up.  Love it and I can make many repairs myself on the run. Builds confidence in a race. 
2010-12-27 7:48 AM

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA

Late Intro:

Name:  ltcsh1/Court
Story:  I am 38 years old and have never been athletic, but always active.  Our city (Augusta, GA) has hosted a HIM the last two years and I have gotten the bug to try.  I started the "Couch to 5K" about 9 weeks ago and I am at the 24 minute run stage.  I get a little over 2 miles in that time so I am happy.  I plan on starting the swim training next month and I bike to and from work already.

Family Status:  I am happily marries to my best friend (Stacey) for the last 14 yers and we have two daughters, 3 dogs, one cat and one turtle. 

Current Training:  I am in the couch to 5k program and plan on starting swimming and biking more next month.

2011 Races:  I plan on getting a few 5ks in and one sprint.  The sprint is in June so I have plently of time to train.  No HIM this year, but is my ultimate goal.

Weightloss:  I am 5'5 and 185.  I would love to loss about 20 pounds, but can't see where it would come from.  My belly is firm and I can see some abs, but that may be the only place.  I guess only more training will tell.

Thanks for having me....

Court

2010-12-27 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3260765

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Open
Where am I now?

Swim:  Last time in the pool I did about 300 yards straight.  I then realized that I will be working alot on the swim.  WOW what a workout!

Bike:  I don't know.  I ride to and from work some days, but that is not far. 

Run:  I'm at about 2 miles in the 20-24 minute range. 

Lift:  Not at this time.

I hope to complete my first Sprint this summer.  I would love to get my run down to the 30 minute stage and really work on my swim.  I would love to loose 20 pounds to quicken up the old body and finally I would love to compete in a HIM.
2010-12-27 8:05 AM

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
No running for me today.  I am on restriction (wife) after getting a cold.Frown  She does take great care of me!  I hope the rest of you have better days. 
2010-12-27 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I avoid the hassle of having to add everyone as "friends" by making my training log public right?  Have at it.

Also, thanks for the offer of nutrition advice.  I know I train hard and eat too little.  Starvation mode.  Down from 400 to 200 and 13% body fat since 2005.  It is so hard to overcome the worry of over eating. 

I do well when I'm racing...I know I can't bonk....I follow Hammer Nutrition advice and replace about 150 an hour with their products.  Did great at the the HIM.  Felt really strong at the end.  But on usual work days I am trying to make myself understand that I can have better workouts and achieve more progress across the board if I feed my body.  There is a great article in the recent Triathlon mag on this. Study divided three groups...goal was to increase power/weight ratio.  One group worked on increasing watts on the bike and ate to get stronger, the next dieted to lose weight, the next did both.  The group that increased power/weight ratio the most was the one that worked out and ate.  They shed the weight anyway but had the right nutrition to feed the muscle.  Really laid it out there for me.  I do 2000-2600 with a resting metabolism of more than 3000.   That is dumb.

2010-12-27 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3262536

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Open
welcome court! nice to have another bulldawg in the group.
2010-12-27 8:37 AM

User image

Veteran

i thought about cutting back to two of each per week at least to start with to avoid overtraining.  i keep hearing how important it is not to overtrain but yet i want to be prepared.  its tough for a newbie to know what is right.  i start an 18 wk HIM plan Jan 3rd.

2010-12-27 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3262578

User image

Expert
Iceman - you should check out this book. 
http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Nutrition-Endurance-Athletes-Monique/dp/1931382964/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293461491&sr=8-1

I bought it  few months ago and am now on the second go around since it does get kind of technical but I have learned a ton about endurance nutrition and how your body processes what we eat.  I discovered I was WAY under eating and actually struggle to eat enough-haha

IceManScott - 2010-12-27 8:31 AM Also, thanks for the offer of nutrition advice.  I know I train hard and eat too little.  Starvation mode.  Down from 400 to 200 and 13% body fat since 2005.  It is so hard to overcome the worry of over eating. 

I do well when I'm racing...I know I can't bonk....I follow Hammer Nutrition advice and replace about 150 an hour with their products.  Did great at the the HIM.  Felt really strong at the end.  But on usual work days I am trying to make myself understand that I can have better workouts and achieve more progress across the board if I feed my body.  There is a great article in the recent Triathlon mag on this. Study divided three groups...goal was to increase power/weight ratio.  One group worked on increasing watts on the bike and ate to get stronger, the next dieted to lose weight, the next did both.  The group that increased power/weight ratio the most was the one that worked out and ate.  They shed the weight anyway but had the right nutrition to feed the muscle.  Really laid it out there for me.  I do 2000-2600 with a resting metabolism of more than 3000.   That is dumb.

2010-12-27 9:44 AM

User image

Veteran

tim- that book looks like something we all could benefit from.  i have a real hard time with GI issues whenever i use anyhting like food or gels.  people have said that you just have to train your stomach but mine does not seem to cooperate.  does the book address that?  or have you had any experience with that?

thanks
jason

2010-12-27 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
Wow - I am behind on posts...

So - Where are you now (ie distance or time)

Swim: It's been about 3 weeks due to shoulder issues but I was at 1 mile in 38 min.  Pretty happy with that especially with my flailing stroke.

Bike:  I haven't baselined this on the road yet(except for my first tr, so does that count?), so it's hard to say.  Also, I just installed a computer on my bike.

Run: I had taken time off due to some ITBS and peroneal tendonitis.  I'm now at a about a 9 min mile over a 5k. 

Lifting weight/coreWeight (if you want to post if not just put how many lbs to goal) - I don't have "goals" per se, other than to ensure that I work core at 5 times a week.  I lift about twice a week.

My "A" race right now is Leon's Triathlon(Oly) in June.  I would like to register for the Galena Tri as that will be my first sprint, but that is more of a B race as it falls in 2 weeks before Leon's.
2010-12-27 11:29 AM
in reply to: #3262685

User image

Expert
Jason - She does cover the different gels, bars, drinks, etc... But more the nutritonal info on each -but as you know everyone has different reactions to them.  I have a pretty stable stomach and have learned to be able to handle Gatorade Endurance since that is the drink offered at most of the races I have run.  It takes a while to get used to it though.  Have you ever looked at making your own?  I have seen some recipes- I will try to find them and forward to you.  I think it is important that you get that ironed out as race day nutrition can make or break your day.  I never used to like gels and always used the Cliff ShotBlocks but for my HIM I decided to go with gels for convenience.  I used GU and was pretty happy with them.  I also ate pretezel sticks on the bike just to get some solid food.

What syptoms are you getting when you say they don't agree with you?  Stomach aches? Bloating? Nausea? Etc...?

gabrelsj - 2010-12-27 9:44 AM
Tim- that book looks like something we all could benefit from.  i have a real hard time with GI issues whenever i use anyhting like food or gels.  people have said that you just have to train your stomach but mine does not seem to cooperate.  does the book address that?  or have you had any experience with that?
thanks
jason
2010-12-27 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3262788

User image

Expert
Rob - I will also be doing Galena!  It was also my first tri last year.  Get those hill workouts (both bike and run) in as those hills kicked my butt last year!   I was so worried about the bike hills that I bonked on the run hills and thought they were worse. It is great yet challenging course.

robburkett - 2010-12-27 10:42 AM My "A" race right now is Leon's Triathlon(Oly) in June.  I would like to register for the Galena Tri as that will be my first sprint, but that is more of a B race as it falls in 2 weeks before Leon's.

Edited by tmoran80 2010-12-27 11:33 AM

2010-12-27 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3262889

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
tmoran80 - 2010-12-27 11:32 AM Rob - I will also be doing Galena!  It was also my first tri last year.  Get those hill workouts (both bike and run) in as those hills kicked my butt last year!   I was so worried about the bike hills that I bonked on the run hills and thought they were worse. It is great yet challenging course.

robburkett - 2010-12-27 10:42 AM My "A" race right now is Leon's Triathlon(Oly) in June.  I would like to register for the Galena Tri as that will be my first sprint, but that is more of a B race as it falls in 2 weeks before Leon's.

Tim - I live in the southwest burbs of Chicago not far from the I&M Canal and there are some wicked hills that are calling my name.  I've already run them and plan on keeping them on my routes for a long time to come.  My fiance and I are thinking of taking a skiing trip in January to Galena and I will use some of that time for reconnaissance.
2010-12-27 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3262984

User image

Expert
I grew up on the south side in Oak Lawn at 107th & Pulaski - I now live in Aurora.  Aurora is not known for its hills -haha  It's funny that 2 of the 3 triathlons I did last year were known for their hills (Glaena & Branson) yet I really had no way to train easily for them especially the bike.  There is an area over near St. Charles that some guys from my Masters Swim group ride so I might try that this year. 

Also some groups/outfitters around Galena offer training rides a few weeks before the race that take you on the actual course.  Might try that too.

In high school we used to out to the old tobaggan chutes over by Rt. 83 and run up those.  I think they would put a serious hurting on me now though - haha

Tim - I live in the southwest burbs of Chicago not far from the I&M Canal and there are some wicked hills that are calling my name.  I've already run them and plan on keeping them on my routes for a long time to come.  My fiance and I are thinking of taking a skiing trip in January to Galena and I will use some of that time for reconnaissance.
2010-12-27 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3262882

User image

Veteran
tmoran80 - 2010-12-27 11:29 AM Jason - She does cover the different gels, bars, drinks, etc... But more the nutritonal info on each -but as you know everyone has different reactions to them.  I have a pretty stable stomach and have learned to be able to handle Gatorade Endurance since that is the drink offered at most of the races I have run.  It takes a while to get used to it though.  Have you ever looked at making your own?  I have seen some recipes- I will try to find them and forward to you.  I think it is important that you get that ironed out as race day nutrition can make or break your day.  I never used to like gels and always used the Cliff ShotBlocks but for my HIM I decided to go with gels for convenience.  I used GU and was pretty happy with them.  I also ate pretezel sticks on the bike just to get some solid food.

What syptoms are you getting when you say they don't agree with you?  Stomach aches? Bloating? Nausea? Etc...?

gabrelsj - 2010-12-27 9:44 AM
Tim- that book looks like something we all could benefit from.  i have a real hard time with GI issues whenever i use anyhting like food or gels.  people have said that you just have to train your stomach but mine does not seem to cooperate.  does the book address that?  or have you had any experience with that?
thanks
jason

i get stomach cramps and will get them for a day after as well.  i tried hammer gel and they did not work.  the gu gel was better.  i am going to only liquid to see how that works (heed, perpetuem, recoverite).  it gets frustrating.
2010-12-27 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Court, nice to get more info on you. Is your goal the 70.3 in Augusta? Good call on resting if sick, believe me it just lingers if you try to fight through it.

Scott, What HIM did you do? didn't see it in your race logs?

Rob you leave for a few days and we fly ahead! lol Quiz for you on everyones background Wed!! J/K

For nutrition I used to use the gu until my 1st IM now I cant even get 1 down.  This year I tried bonkbusters (hard food but sits pretty good on 1st 80miles of bike) and really liked it.   You guys are so lucky to have good stomachs(Jason I'm with you), if I could figure nutrition out I might have a good day. 

Jason as for overtraining the key is to have a good plan with time set to have a week of recovery every 3rd or 4th week(depends on coach some more some less)  As always listen to your body it knows you better than any program.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76