BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2011-01-07 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed!
7.5 miles indoors today. December - Feb m?ost of my runs inside. I have not run outside in over a month. Nebraska is cold and windy. I'm fine with the cold but the wind starts to tick me off after a while.

2011-01-07 9:42 AM

User image

Gary i just got that issue (my first) and have to read the article- essentially i thought the swim would be easy until i got in the pool for the first time. I lift my head to breathe, then my feet sink- started reading total immersion swimming and did take 8 weeks of group lessons on freestyle during the summer... i can do abut 1000m now (not easily) and my goal is to swim a mile by this summer. which will be kinda necessary for mooseman. started up with spinning again this week, but with the marathon it's hard to find time to get to the pool.

have a good weekend :-)
2011-01-07 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Lees Summit
I'm looking for a wetsuit. Good Value, and Very Buoyant. Those are the 2 qualities i'm looking for. Any suggestions?
2011-01-07 3:51 PM

User image

North Dallas Forty
Planning on 40 painful minutes with Coach Troy on the trainer tonight.  Longest I'll have gone in 2 years.
I've been watching a few freestlyle swimming instructional vids on youtube.  Will try that out in the pool tomorrow AM.
Found a Masters Swim class at my gym at 0530!!!  I am not that much of a morning person! Sealed 

What time of day do most of you train at?  Any good tips for scheduling it around work? Family? etc?

Edited by szbert 2011-01-07 3:55 PM
2011-01-07 6:34 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Hey all!
Just back from a 4+ run with the dogs now I can watch the LSU game in peace (after feeding the horses).  Swam with masters class today and it kicked my tail.  Getting faster but still slow overall and I need to build my endurance at faster speeds.

Randy - Xterra makes good wetsuits at good prices.  While not an expert I don't believe the bouyancy changes much between brands/models except for long sleeve vs. john types.  If you are a BT member and take the annual survey there is a discount code for Xterra but they are always having a sale.

Bert - For my most swims are at lunch, rides and runs during the week are in the evening.  Saturday mornings are typically my long run and Sunday evening is my long run.

Happy Training!

2011-01-08 3:13 AM
in reply to: #3275556

User image

Hi

For me it all started with plantar fasciitis. The best cardio exercise for someone with plantar fasciitis is swimming and riding a bicycle. I used to run and I got plantar fasciitis so I started to swim and cycle. Today I’m better with my PF so I ended up as a triathlete. I have finished my first olympic triathlon race two months ago.

There are many things you can do to treat your PF although I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one it will not necessarily work for the other.

I have found Plantar fasciitis taping very useful. Taping will keep your foot from getting injured again and will help you get through your daily routine and exercises.

I found a very informative website in:

http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com

Take care & Good luck

Edited by Ezrida 2011-01-08 3:13 AM

2011-01-08 5:30 AM
in reply to: #3285381

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
szbert - 2011-01-07 3:51 PM Planning on 40 painful minutes with Coach Troy on the trainer tonight.  Longest I'll have gone in 2 years.
I've been watching a few freestlyle swimming instructional vids on youtube.  Will try that out in the pool tomorrow AM.
Found a Masters Swim class at my gym at 0530!!!  I am not that much of a morning person! Sealed 

What time of day do most of you train at?  Any good tips for scheduling it around work? Family? etc?

Weekdays i go to the Y from 5am-6:30am. I am a morning person and a night owl but not much for the in between (sorry to my work) My wife goes before she goes to work. The kids can only be in child watch at daycare for 2hrs/day and she doesn't get off work til 8pm. It seems to work for me that way I don't have 8hrs trying to talk myself out of not training. Bad thing is weekends (such has this morning) I'm wide awake at 5:15am.
2011-01-08 12:58 PM

User image

North Dallas Forty
Hamstring was a bit tight after overdoing my run the other night so today I did an easy warmup and then a full cycle of AIS stretching followed by light squats, leg curls and calf raises and more AIS. Leg now feels good. Will try to get on the bike trainer tonight.
2011-01-08 1:00 PM

User image

North Dallas Forty
I envy you morning guys. I can wake at 0530 and check emails. But I don't have the energy to workout until 0730
2011-01-08 2:34 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Ezrida- Thanks for the info!

Got on the rode with the bike by 7:15, 41 degrees and slight wind.  Actually got out at 7am but two trips back into the house to put on more clothes.  But forgot my shoe covers and after the first loop (about 50mins) I stopped back by the house to get them.  Wanted 50 miles but only got in about 43 miles.  Spending the rest of the day putting in flooring in the master bedroom closet.

One note, I am about to post my tips for transitions but wanted to mention something.  These are ideas I have picked up and use.  These work for Gary but may/may not work for you.  I definitely am not a Triathlete guru and won't get everything perfect.  Consider all ideas and implement what you think works for you.

One last thing, we will have our first mini-challenge starting next week.  Details to come!
2011-01-08 2:42 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

First, the best tip I can give is to practice your transitions!  Here’s how I do mine: 

The weekend before I do a race I setup a transition area near my pool with my bike.  If the race is wetsuit legal I will wear my wetsuit otherwise just tri clothes that I will race in.  I get in our pool, with goggles, swim cap, etc.  I than get out, run to the bike switch to bike mode, ride around the block, come back to my transition area, switch to run mode, run around the block.  Repeat.

Remember the Gold Rule: Nothing New on Race Day!

Other tips:

If you don’t have assigned racks, pick a spot with a landmark (tree, sign, trash can) that makes finding your bike easier.  In the confusion it is easy to lose your bike.

If you have assigned racks look for landmarks to use (ex. my bike is on the 2nd rack past the trash can from the swim exit).

Keep your transition area small and compact.

Find where you are going to be coming in from the swim and practice running to your bike and than running to the bike exit.  Know where you are going before the race.  Practice running from/to your bike.

If the swim exit is across sand, have a small water bottle with your stuff that you can use to spray your feet with

Find the bike and run exit.  One of my last races several folks tried to run out the bike return and lost valuable time.

Shift your front derailleur to your small chain ring, makes starting out easier.

Put your timing chip on your left foot.  This is supposed to help prevent your timing chip getting caught up in your chain.

When you are switching from bike to run (applies to races without changing tents).  Put your running shoes on, grab your other run items, and start heading towards the exit.  You can put on your hat, race number, etc on as you head out.

If you are wearing a wetsuit, don’t immediately remove your goggles and swim cap when coming out of the water.  Push your goggles up and then work on removing your wetsuit (much easier if your hands aren’t full with goggles and swim cap). 

Check out you tube videos on transitions including removing your wetsuit.

Don't forget to take your helmet off after you enter transition.  You wouldn't be the first person to head out on the run with your helmet still on.  Just saying......

Unless you really need a break, don’t stop in transition and drink, take gel or capsule, etc.  Instead get out on your bike or get out on the run and use the first mile to get nutrients or catch your breath.  Walking out of the run exit taking a gel saves more time than standing next to your bike.

Pack electrical tape and a couple of quarters in your bag.  Most races require bar end plugs.  If one of yours is lost you can tape the quarter over the end.

Now lets hear your tips!

2011-01-08 5:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randy - xterra will sell sleeveless for $99 on sale. Go to their website and sign up for their emails. Also local Tri shops if any will usually discount last years models big right now
2011-01-08 5:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
Luna- swimming - and breathing is all techinique. Try these tips and maybe they will help. 1. Reach further out with your lead hand. This will make you longer and more streamlined. 2. Point your nose and eyes straight at the bottom. The top of yyour head should be pointed where you're headed - not your forehead. 3. Don't lift your head to breathe. Rotate it. Attach your chin to your shoulder, and follow your chin as you stroke, this will keep your head in the water, your mouth will clear the water, grab a quick bite of air and GET THAT FACE pointed back at the bottom. 4. Imagine your weight being in your armpit as you roll your body to stroke - this will keep your head down and your legs up. I can almost guarantee your head is too high if your feet Re sinking. Get that nose pointed right down at the bottom. I hope this helps. Let me know what else you need - sorry for barging in Gary -- not really.
2011-01-09 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
The only tip I have is encouragment helps. When you are passing people or vice versa tell them 'good job', 'keep it up', 'almost done' etc. You might not think those little compliments would help but they really go a long way.
2011-01-09 11:18 AM

User image

North Dallas Forty
Subject: Swim trunks? Tri Shorts?
My first two scheduled tris will probably be wetsuit legal, my third probably not.  
Question about Tri shorts:  Do the pads really dry out quickly?  I'm envisioning getting on the bike with wet, squishy pad and chafing the heck out of myself even if I use a lot of body glide, etc.  

So, are padded tri shorts the best choice?  And particular brands?   And lastly, do you practice swimming in them?   

Gary, thanks for the transition tips.   It addressed a lot of things I've been thinking of.  And +1 on encouraging others.  That's what motivated me to become a Triathlete.  It seems to be a really great and supportive type of people who do this. 
2011-01-09 11:37 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Bert - Tri shorts do dry out pretty quickly.  I have never had any issues with them drying out during a race.  I don't swim in the pool with them as the chlorine will shorten their lifespan.    As for brands that is going to vary between people.  Each brand has a slightly different cut.  I have Aevero, TYR and Orca's.  Aevero is a good brand at a good price (When I ordered mine I also got a tri top) but my favorite is an older pair of Orca's.  Minimal padding but they feel great.

2011-01-09 12:01 PM

User image

Expert
If I may comment, I use Desoto tri gear, and have been pleased beyond my wildest dreams.  They have a chamious pad rather than a foam pad  like biking shorts.  I always use some sort of body lube prior to my race and have had very little trouble.  Realistically, your shorts are going to be wet the entire race anyway due to sweating.  completed my entire Iron distance race in one pair of shorts with no changes.  Just my 2 cents.

One more thing, i have an older pair that I used to practice swim.  Be careful though, they will become see through in time.

Edited by elcaminobill 2011-01-09 12:03 PM
2011-01-09 1:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
X3 on jpfeife's post. You should encourage everyone. Get to transision early, ask for help if you need it. Be prepared to help other newbies. Then later in the year - volunteer at a race. You may think you don't know enough but I know you know more than Billy . Actually many don't have the benefit of BT or Gary so you already know a LOT. I volunteer at least once a year and encourage all triathlete or runners to do so. These races cannot happen without volunteers. You will also have fun.
2011-01-09 1:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
Volunteer tip - body markers finish first. Transistion is fun from the humorous sightings side of things. Holding the finish Lin tape sucks - you bend over all day - your back will hurt. Think about it - someone finishes - tape slides out of your hand - falls to ground - bend over - pick it up - repeat for every finisher
2011-01-09 1:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
Transition tip - rack your bike as near the "bike out" as possible. Assuming there aren't assigned racks. That way, you run the least distance pushing your bike. This reduces the time you could trip over your bike.
2011-01-09 1:52 PM

Extreme Veteran
Tip - zipper on the wetsuit goes in BACK.

Edited by left.right.repeat 2011-01-09 1:55 PM

2011-01-09 2:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
Tip - an old swim cap makes a great bike seat cover to keep it dry on the way to a race or sitting overnight in transistion if rain is expected. I know you a$$ is going to be wet getting it but I don't want it soaking wet. I respect my seat and keep it as dry as possible. Always. By the way, throw a garbage bag in your transistion bag. If it rains race morning you will be thankful. Put everything in the bag and fold over the top. Dry on bottom and rain doesn't get to your stuff. Dry sox in ziplock bags are a good idea too. Bring an extra pair of sox in a bag and I PROMISE you will thank me later. Dry sox = fewer blisters.
2011-01-09 9:39 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Hey all!
manged a nice 6 mile run tonight.  Longest in probably 6+months.  The held out but will have to see tomorrow how it feels.  Everyone else have a good weekend.  Other than training, LSU Tigers won, Saints lost (bummer), but the Packers won.  So 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Okay, first mini-challenge:

5 minutes of stretching everyday for the next 5 days.  Easy challenge but lets see who finishes.

Next month we will have our first big challenge but want to see what the group looks like in a couple of weeks.

Happy Training!
2011-01-10 7:25 AM
in reply to: #3289017

User image

Veteran
Lees Summit
got the first day of streatching in!
2011-01-10 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3287090

User image

left.right.repeat - 2011-01-08 5:14 PM Luna- swimming - and breathing is all techinique. Try these tips and maybe they will help. 1. Reach further out with your lead hand. This will make you longer and more streamlined. 2. Point your nose and eyes straight at the bottom. The top of yyour head should be pointed where you're headed - not your forehead. 3. Don't lift your head to breathe. Rotate it. Attach your chin to your shoulder, and follow your chin as you stroke, this will keep your head in the water, your mouth will clear the water, grab a quick bite of air and GET THAT FACE pointed back at the bottom. 4. Imagine your weight being in your armpit as you roll your body to stroke - this will keep your head down and your legs up. I can almost guarantee your head is too high if your feet Re sinking. Get that nose pointed right down at the bottom. I hope this helps. Let me know what else you need - sorry for barging in Gary -- not really.

Nose pointed at bottom- good tip- it's hard to keep all the technique in your head when practicing but these one liners really help- i also signed up for a total immersion workshop in march here in boston. i'm having a hard time getting into the pool this month... my 12 miler saturday wiped me out!

Edited by Lunahippo 2011-01-10 9:48 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115