BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-01-04 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3275679

User image

New user
Subject: RE: shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - CLOSED!
Great tip Laura, and Jay. I actually plan on taking lessons at the Y when the class is offered in April.
Oh an Jay thanks for the tip on the tri suits.  so glad i found this site i've learned so much already!

Laurie you'll have to let us know which bike you end up with. I can't wait to start bike shopping!  Just give me a few more hours in my day and i'll get right on that.

saongiri thanks for that swimming link looks really interesting.

Have a great day All!

2011-01-04 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3276446

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
rachel5576 - 2011-01-04 7:57 AM Great tip Laura, and Jay. I actually plan on taking lessons at the Y when the class is offered in April.
Oh an Jay thanks for the tip on the tri suits.  so glad i found this site i've learned so much already!

Laurie you'll have to let us know which bike you end up with. I can't wait to start bike shopping!  Just give me a few more hours in my day and i'll get right on that.

saongiri thanks for that swimming link looks really interesting.

Have a great day All!

Sure thing, that's what we're here for.  I learned a ton last year when I first started browsing the site.  I just got a new Cobb saddle in the mail today after waiting forever for it to show up!  I bought it for my tri bike, but I may throw it on my roadie and ride it for a few weeks before I go back for another fitting to break it in some.  Finding the right saddle can be a real pain I'm finding. 
2011-01-04 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3275596

User image

Woodbridge
rachel5576 - 2011-01-03 10:04 PM Hey everybody wow lots to catch up on!

QOTD: Which discipline is your favorite and why?
i guess running probably because I've been doing it the longest i haven't biked or swam until today.

Oh and speaking of swimming i got my butt up and out the door at 5:15 in the morning to hit the pool. Yay me...until i got there and everyone was doing laps faster than i could get in the pool lol it was pretty embarrassing and i forgot my goggles probably because i don't use goggles normallyTrying not to worry about it and remember we all have to start somewhere. Funny i thought the initial program i picked out would be too easy boy was i wrong hehehe

Thanks everyone who posted swimming links!!!! I need it bad!

Brian thanks for all the pointers on the bike. i really have know idea what i need. I really don't want to spend much more than $300 (sorry Jay) because this is such a new hobby to me.  does it really matter what kind of bike? i guess i mean if i were to get a decent mountain bike instead of a road bike?   My first tri will be a tester so if i don't really like it it would be nice to have a bike i can take on trails.

Also i rode bike today, kind of forgot how unforgiving the seats can be.  Then i imagine myself in a wet bathing suit can anyone say chaffing? yikes!  Any tips?  Was also surprise how my legs felt when i got off. How in the world are you supposed to run like that? lol  practice, practice, practice i guess

i think thats it

Hey, the chaffing I've seen lots of stuff in the medical forms, and I also browse the Athena, where I know i have lots to deal with so to say. Very helpful advice in there. Try diaper oinment, Bag Balm is mentioned several times I've seen. I'm just going to lube up and hope for the best. Not very pleasent to talk about- but the forms are really helpful, and answer most of my questions before I ask them!
2011-01-05 8:05 PM
in reply to: #3257098

User image

Woodbridge
OMG!!! I have already dropped two lbs from just walking 20mins a day and switching from sweet tea, to water. I'm up to nearly 64 oz a day-which for me is lots I'm not cutting things out of my diet, just trying to eat balanced and portioned-and of course, no junk. Cool!! I can't wait till next week I"m i'm doing all 3!!! I look at bikes tomorrow!!!
2011-01-05 8:12 PM
in reply to: #3280908

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
LAH - 2011-01-05 6:05 PM OMG!!! I have already dropped two lbs from just walking 20mins a day and switching from sweet tea, to water. I'm up to nearly 64 oz a day-which for me is lots I'm not cutting things out of my diet, just trying to eat balanced and portioned-and of course, no junk. Cool!! I can't wait till next week I"m i'm doing all 3!!! I look at bikes tomorrow!!!

Whoop whoop! Nice work!  I LOVE tea.  I drink a lot of Yerba Mate and plain iced tea.  Good luck w/ the bike shopping
2011-01-05 10:16 PM
in reply to: #3280908

User image

New user
That's great! Keep it up! have fun bike shopping!

Edited by rachel5576 2011-01-05 10:17 PM

2011-01-06 12:01 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Since we haven't heard from many of the folks who originally signed up I'm going to open the group up again and see if anyone else wants to join.
2011-01-06 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3280933

User image

Woodbridge
ok, so need some of that great advice mentor group! went and test drove a
Specialized
Dolce Sport Compact, and it was nice and on sale for around 739 or so. I'm also looking at a
Trek
7.2 FX WSD for a bit but is a hybrid.

Not sure which to go with, I know I could take the kiddos on family bike rides at the park with it as well, but not sure how versitle a road bike is or should be. realistically, I can't afford two bikes, and I don't know if I should get road bike, and then not compete again. I like both and torn between on just for tri or one inbetween to start-out on to get adjusted.  I've seen reviews on hybrids where other newbies have started on them and were very happy. I know I would get my money out of both, and the store will do all repairs and adjusting for a year, and show me what to do if I'm on my own. They're not pushing either, and seem really supportive either way. So I don't feel pressured, just not sure, it's been years since I've even ridden a bike other than whats at the gym. Any thoughts??? 
2011-01-06 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3281969

User image

New user
LAH - 2011-01-06 10:14 AM ok, so need some of that great advice mentor group! went and test drove a
Specialized
Dolce Sport Compact, and it was nice and on sale for around 739 or so. I'm also looking at a
Trek
7.2 FX WSD for a bit but is a hybrid.

Not sure which to go with, I know I could take the kiddos on family bike rides at the park with it as well, but not sure how versitle a road bike is or should be. realistically, I can't afford two bikes, and I don't know if I should get road bike, and then not compete again. I like both and torn between on just for tri or one inbetween to start-out on to get adjusted.  I've seen reviews on hybrids where other newbies have started on them and were very happy. I know I would get my money out of both, and the store will do all repairs and adjusting for a year, and show me what to do if I'm on my own. They're not pushing either, and seem really supportive either way. So I don't feel pressured, just not sure, it's been years since I've even ridden a bike other than whats at the gym. Any thoughts???

I would go with the Hybrid if i had a choice. Can't speak from experience but your description alone sounds like the hybrid will meet your needs much better and be more versatile. I had no idea there were bike hybrids (that's how clueless i am and how bad i need this group)  I will have to look into a hybrid for myself.
2011-01-06 10:28 AM

Regular
Spruce Grove
It really depends on how serious you are about triathlons I guess - for use with your family you certainly might enjoy the hybrid, but will you be up for buying a better bike in a year or two if you get the hybrid now? If yes, go with the hybrid. If no, get the Specialized and buy a cheap mountain bike later for family use (I have a $150 model from Costco for casual riding!)

I tested a Dolce Sport the other day - loved how it felt, fwiw.
2011-01-06 10:44 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
LAH - 2011-01-06 8:14 AM ok, so need some of that great advice mentor group! went and test drove a
Specialized Dolce Sport Compact, and it was nice and on sale for around 739 or so. I'm also looking at a
Trek 7.2 FX WSD for a bit but is a hybrid.

x2 the on the hybrid if you're not 100% sold on the Dolce.  You want the bike to be versatile since you have no plans to get another one any time soon, and tooling around the park on your tri bike will become uncomfortable very quickly for the simple fact that it's uncomfortable to ride sitting up.  The bike is designed for you to be in the aero position.  No way you're doing a family ride like that.  If you decide down the road to get another you can always sell the hybrid or keep it as a backup.  What's everyone got on tap for training today?  I'm off work for a week and the kiddo is in school so I'm gonna go run w/ the wife before lunch.

Edited by shmeeg 2011-01-06 10:46 AM

2011-01-06 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3281266

User image

New user
shmeeg - 2011-01-06 12:01 AM Since we haven't heard from many of the folks who originally signed up I'm going to open the group up again and see if anyone else wants to join.

sounds good! i need all the help i can get.

I went swimming again yesterday and it went much better than Monday.  I had some drills planned (not that i was really ready for that).  My biggest issue is sticking my face in the water. I choked more times than i care to admit but i stuck it out for a half hour. i did some research yesterday and watched a few videos on breathing techniques.  Did some breathing exercises outside of the water and feel confident that tomorrow will go much smoother.

So those of you that ride bike regularly do wear some time of padded bike short all the time or is the bike seat something you get used to after a few times? my bottom was so sore yesterday it was painful to do my biking. Embarassed

on the training plan for today....a 3 mile run and strength training.

Edited by rachel5576 2011-01-06 10:49 AM
2011-01-06 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3282087

Regular
Spruce Grove
Training for today - hitting the pool for the first time in too long! Plus a bike later I think. If I quit slacking on my work, lol (I work from home for myself, and sometimes I procrastinate just a bit too much and have to make it up by working from 8-11 pm - ugh!)
2011-01-06 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3282099

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
rachel5576 - 2011-01-06 8:47 AM
shmeeg - 2011-01-06 12:01 AM Since we haven't heard from many of the folks who originally signed up I'm going to open the group up again and see if anyone else wants to join.

sounds good! i need all the help i can get.

I went swimming again yesterday and it went much better than Monday.  I had some drills planned (not that i was really ready for that).  My biggest issue is sticking my face in the water. I choked more times than i care to admit but i stuck it out for a half hour. i did some research yesterday and watched a few videos on breathing techniques.  Did some breathing exercises outside of the water and feel confident that tomorrow will go much smoother.

So those of you that ride bike regularly do wear some time of padded bike short all the time or is the bike seat something you get used to after a few times? my bottom was so sore yesterday it was painful to do my biking. Embarassed

on the training plan for today....a 3 mile run and strength training.

Lol, I can relate to sucking down water in the pool!  I've done it so much I am at the point where I can just cough it out underwater while still swimming and not have to stop :D  Yes, you will want to wear either tri shorts or cyclng shorts every time you ride and use some sort of chamois cream.  You will also build a tolerance up to the seat.  When I first started riding, 45 mins was the longest I could handle.  Now I can do a couple hours w/ no issues.  One factor is finding shorts that you really like and are comfortable in.  I prefer a very small chamois pad and silicone leg grippers for cycling shorts.  Tri shorts, I just go w/ something that doesn't showcase the man parts.  Unfortunately I've taken a liking to bib shorts that run ~$100 a pair now.  Another thing to think about is saddle selection.  The first thing many triathletes change is the saddle.  I'm not even sure why bikes come w/ a seat.  It's such a personal thing, it would be easier if the bike manufacturers just left that choice up to the consumer.  Check w/ your LBS and see if you can find one that has a saddle demo or test program and you can save a lot of $ and find the right seat for you.  Have you been fit to the bike?  Often times, saddle discomfort is a result of improper positioning on the bike. 
2011-01-06 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3282109

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
lsmapp - 2011-01-06 8:49 AM Training for today - hitting the pool for the first time in too long! Plus a bike later I think. If I quit slacking on my work, lol (I work from home for myself, and sometimes I procrastinate just a bit too much and have to make it up by working from 8-11 pm - ugh!)

Rach - on the training plan for today....a 3 mile run and strength training.

Are either of you using a BT training plan or some other structured workout schedule?  Having any problems combining multiple plans?
2011-01-06 11:37 AM

User image

New user
Subject: RE: shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN AGAIN!
Jay i've just been using an indoor bike at the highschool gym but its brand new and super nice! we've got about 3ft of snow here in Wisconsin so i probably wont be bike shopping for a few more months.  plus i want to buy running snow shoes, some Vibram flows for the colder weather me toes get too cold now and a heart rate monitor, oh and i guess a pair of bike shortsWink.

I am mixing up a few plans to create my own. I was originally going with the sprint 3x balanced on bt. i am still using the same 3 days of swim, bike, and running but it only gives you times and not much else. since i really need help with swimming i am now using the Five-Month Beginner Swimmer Series on bt and yet another plan for my running.  Since i my tri is not until July im not going to worry about bike part too much until i get a good pair of shorts!

2011-01-06 11:45 AM

User image

New user
i just want to apologize in advance for my spelling grammar errors lol my kiddos distract me too much and i just do a skim through. hope the majority of my posts make sense, see i almost put since thats the kind of thing i do when im in a hurry. anyway gotta go and get that strength training done!
2011-01-06 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3282292

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
rachel5576 - 2011-01-06 9:37 AM Jay i've just been using an indoor bike at the highschool gym but its brand new and super nice! we've got about 3ft of snow here in Wisconsin so i probably wont be bike shopping for a few more months.  plus i want to buy running snow shoes, some Vibram flows for the colder weather me toes get too cold now and a heart rate monitor, oh and i guess a pair of bike shortsWink.

Ah ok, well if it's adjustable, you might want to play around w/ the seat height or even handlebars if they move at all.  I know when I used to go to a spin class regularly I had specific settings I put the bike on for the best results.  Yikes, snow! And here I am complaining because it's in the 40s when I have to leave for work in the mornings Cry

When you start your shopping for the HRM, be sure to check the classifieds here and on slowtwitch.  Many good deals to be had.  I just picked up a brand new Garmin FR210 on slowtwitch for $200.  Saved me about a hundred bucks.  If you want to jump on the Garmin bandwagon when the time comes, be sure to check out www.dcrainmaker.com, Ray has a zillion Garmin reviews, tips, tricks, etc.  More info than you will ever need for sure.  It's a great reference.

I am mixing up a few plans to create my own. I was originally going with the sprint 3x balanced on bt. i am still using the same 3 days of swim, bike, and running but it only gives you times and not much else. since i really need help with swimming i am now using the Five-Month Beginner Swimmer Series on bt and yet another plan for my running.  Since i my tri is not until July im not going to worry about bike part too much until i get a good pair of shorts!

That's what I generally do also.  I like to use the BT plans as a shell for some time based workouts, but like the nuts and bolts of a RW running plan or have the flexibility to mix up the bike/swim plans also.

ETA: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=223019&start=1  Just saw this thread in the Are You New forum, since you're doing the 5m swim plan.  Should be some good info there.  I may join in myself.

Edited by shmeeg 2011-01-06 12:20 PM
2011-01-06 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3282392

User image

New user
shmeeg - 2011-01-06 12:16 PM
rachel5576 - 2011-01-06 9:37 AM Jay i've just been using an indoor bike at the highschool gym but its brand new and super nice! we've got about 3ft of snow here in Wisconsin so i probably wont be bike shopping for a few more months.  plus i want to buy running snow shoes, some Vibram flows for the colder weather me toes get too cold now and a heart rate monitor, oh and i guess a pair of bike shortsWink.

Ah ok, well if it's adjustable, you might want to play around w/ the seat height or even handlebars if they move at all.  I know when I used to go to a spin class regularly I had specific settings I put the bike on for the best results.  Yikes, snow! And here I am complaining because it's in the 40s when I have to leave for work in the mornings Cry

When you start your shopping for the HRM, be sure to check the classifieds here and on slowtwitch.  Many good deals to be had.  I just picked up a brand new Garmin FR210 on slowtwitch for $200.  Saved me about a hundred bucks.  If you want to jump on the Garmin bandwagon when the time comes, be sure to check out www.dcrainmaker.com, Ray has a zillion Garmin reviews, tips, tricks, etc.  More info than you will ever need for sure.  It's a great reference.

That's what I generally do also.  I like to use the BT plans as a shell for some time based workouts, but like the nuts and bolts of a RW running plan or have the flexibility to mix up the bike/swim plans also.

ETA: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=223019&start=1  Just saw this thread in the Are You New forum, since you're doing the 5m swim plan.  Should be some good info there.  I may join in myself.

Jay,
40 degress? That's like a heatwave for me! I'm pretty happy if its above ten degrees and there is no wind.  Thanks for all the tips on classifieds, i hadn't thought of that.  Hope you had a great run!
Rachel
2011-01-06 4:06 PM

User image

New user
oh and i joined that swimming group you were talking about, thanks!
2011-01-06 5:59 PM
in reply to: #3282158

Regular
Spruce Grove
Well I'm vaguely following the 20 week spring (run focused) plan, but mostly just trying to run 3 or so times per week, bike 2-3 and will fit in swimming any days I can get to the pool. Thankfully I have an indoor trainer set up and a treadmill, because a) it's freaking cold here. I got in an outdoor run this week because it was "only" -5 C (approx 23 F), but usually during winter I'm alone with the kids and it's cold and very snowy-indoor workouts are my friend!

I'm hoping to be more planned about my workouts now that I have picked a date for my first tri and need to be on track.

Are either of you using a BT training plan or some other structured workout schedule?  Having any problems combining multiple plans?

2011-01-06 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3283016

User image

Woodbridge
good luck with the swimming rachel, I start next week, and a bit timid really to get in the pool, i love to swim but look like a giant kid doggie paddling! i too have been researching online training and breathing. if you never hear from me again, i'm at the bottomw of chin chin comminy center pool jk!!! I can't wait to see how much pool water I end up drinking!! lol i guess i won't complain either about the mid-40s we're having hwew either, but it's turning cold, and possible snow next week CALIFORNIA IS LOOKING GOOD RIGHT NOW! i will take another look at the hybred-thanks so much, thats what my gut was saying, but i wanted to make sure i wasn't crazy- if i do get the bug, i'll get another on down the road....on craigslist or something once i've figured this out i'm not worried thanks for the help!! now back to writing papers for me, walk again tomorrow!
2011-01-06 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3283446

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
LAH - 2011-01-06 6:10 PMgood luck with the swimming rachel, I start next week, and a bit timid really to get in the pool, i love to swim but look like a giant kid doggie paddling! i too have been researching online training and breathing. if you never hear from me again, i'm at the bottomw of chin chin comminy center pool jk!!! I can't wait to see how much pool water I end up drinking!! lol i guess i won't complain either about the mid-40s we're having hwew either, but it's turning cold, and possible snow next week CALIFORNIA IS LOOKING GOOD RIGHT NOW! i will take another look at the hybred-thanks so much, thats what my gut was saying, but i wanted to make sure i wasn't crazy- if i do get the bug, i'll get another on down the road....on craigslist or something once i've figured this out i'm not worried thanks for the help!! now back to writing papers for me, walk again tomorrow!
Fear not the swim! But yes its awesome here in california. It was almost 70 today when we were running!
2011-01-06 8:44 PM

User image

Hi All. Sounds like everyone is motivated and hard at it. Kudos!  I'm following along and learning from your questions and answers.  Keep up the good work :-). Wendy
2011-01-07 12:36 PM

User image

New user
Hey Everyone!

Sounds like people are getting work done! great! Leslie good luck in the pool next week. @ Laura isnt nice to be able to get outside to run once in a while? I dont even mind the cold too much. Most of the time it feels refreshing. Just glad not to stare at the wall on the dreadmill.

I had a quick workout today and mainly focused on breathing.  Starting to get the hang of it but seem to run out of breath quickly. I'm guessing im not blowing all my air out before i take a breath.  I'll just keep practicing and hopefully i'll be a pro in no time. Hey i can dream!

I'm going away for the weekend hoping to get a run in tomorrow.  Talk to you guys Monday!

Have a great weekend!!!
Rachel
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES Rss Feed  

of 21