BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chris' Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2011-05-08 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3487373

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Chris' Group - Closed

Arin -  This is the link for the USA Triathlon rules (pdf doc). http://assets.teamusa.org/assets/documents/attached_file/filename/28818/usatcr.pdf

Section 4.9 addresses illegal equipment: "Any swimmer wearing any artificial propulsion device, including but not limited to fins, gloves, paddles, or floating devices of any kind shall be disqualified." 

It doesn't specifically address the water shoes or the five finger ones.  I can't imagine that they could be considered a propulsion device, but that may be a question the individual race directors may have to answer.  Better to ask than risk a DQ. 

I did get some orthotics yesterday, but it will be a while before I know whether or not they will help.  There's a break in period as you "re-train" your feet.  They definitely were not cheap, but I've heard that they made a huge difference for a lot of people. 

Chris

2011-05-08 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3434377

User image

Arcata, CA
I got orthotics a few weeks ago now.  The "breaking in/training" process is painful as ligaments/tendons and muscles learn a new way of working with your foot.  However, by the end of the training period they became much more comfortable.  Three weeks out, I've noticed a big difference in my back and knees.  Mine correct a lot of problems with my arch and pronation as well as provide a lift for my "short leg."  I hope you have success with yours Chris. 
2011-05-08 6:40 PM

User image

Chris - loved your post about race etiquette, thanks for sharing so much! It's really helping me to wrap my head around this!

Nice job training everyone, it's so inspiring to read about all of the good work ya'll are doing!!

My training update for the week...I've been doing a pretty good job of adding strength training, I don't think I'll get in 6 days, more like 5 days, but that's a good number for me. I tend to overdo everything, so I'm trying to honestly take some rest days. I had planned to get in a bike ride today but ended up playing a double header at softball (next team didn't have enough female players) and I really just don't have it in me to go out for a ride after 4 straight hours of playing softball in the sun. Regardless, I'm feeling good about my progress and I'm looking forward to more running, biking and swimming next week! I've been in between semesters these last 2 weeks, so we will see how much more difficult it becomes to stay on track when I have all of my students back on campus and more demands from my work!

Keep up the good work everyone!!!

2011-05-08 9:50 PM

Veteran

Well, I've had quite a weekend!  Yesterday (Saturday) I did a 5 mile run followed by a 10 mile bike ride.  I took a short nap late in the afternoon.  When I woke up my husband told me that he needed to go to the hospital because he was having chest pains (he has a history of 2 heart attacks 4 1/2 years ago). My husband has a history of coronary artery disease running in his family.  He has never been overweight or out of shape, but he had a heart attack, while training for a marathon.  As much as we'd like to think that diet and exercise are insurance policies against heart disease- family history plays THE MOST important role in determining risk.

So to make a long story short, after spending Sat night, and most of Sunday in the hospital, it turned out to be a false alarm.  So we are home now.  I am exhausted, and am planning on taking a rest day tomorrow. 

Chris- I read your post about your recent race, and will comment on it when I have more energy.  Everybody, thank your blessings.

2011-05-09 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3488457

User image

Regular

Cathy -  I'm very happy everything turned out okay for you and your husband.  I certainly understand that scare - having been through a similar one with my husband.  And you are correct, genetics does play a large part in our health.  But I can't help but think your husband is helping himself immeasurably by staying active and fit.  

Stressors of the emotional and mental flavors are just as hard on  your body as stress of exercising, so it's good that you plan on resting today.  You can pick up again after you have recovered.

I periodically think that I was unbelieveably lucky to be born when and where I was and have the ability to do what I please limited only by my own efforts.  So, yes, counting your blessings is always appropriate.

Chris

2011-05-09 8:16 AM

User image

New user

Cathy  - I'm VERY glad to hear your husband is okay. What a scare and yes, an emotional roller coaster. 

Chris - I loved your article on etiquitte.  As usual, I really got a lot out of it. I certainly don't want to "step on any toes" by doing something I shouldn't be doing.  I'll definately be re-reading it before my first race.

I didn't do much for training this weekend. I spent 7 hour drive (round trip) to Seattle to go and get fitted for a wetsuit on Saturday. That was a good time.  Hey, wait a second.  Can't I count that as strength training or something? Laughing I did manage to squeek in a 2 mile run. My foot is still paying for it. SIGH. Will it ever get better?

Chris - you mentioned something about swimming to the outside. I don't expect to the the fastest swimmer, but I think I'll be about average and in the middle of the pack. I really don't want to have a wrestling match out there. What exactly is the best strategy, and are there rules for straying 'too far' off course?

Also, thanks for the rule link. I will start working my way through them.

Arin

2011-05-09 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3488457

User image

Cathy, Also so glad to hear your husband is ok. That sounds so exhausting (mentally, physically and emtoionally). Take good care of yourself, and I'll be sure to remember to count my blessings.

Best,

Tiffany

2011-05-09 4:49 PM

User image

Veteran

Cathy - another voice saying I'm glad your hubby is fine.

Chris - great post. Thanks!

I had a good training week getting in 8/10 workouts, but I ended up doing more than was scheduled for 4 of those workouts. Saturday I did another 21k bike ride and once again it was stupid windy out! Then I followed it with a 5k HM pace run , but it was several hours later so it didn't count as a brick. Then yesterday I did a 16k run. I think it was too much for 2 days though, as I didn't sleep well at all last night which happens when I work out a bit too aggressively.

So, things on my mind include the fact that I really need to do some brick workouts and I don't want to!! And, my pool is closed this week which is really a bummer. I could go to the university pool in town (which is actually much closer than the Y where I typically go) but I'm intimidated to go there. I live in a small town and all the "real" triathletes swim there (not to mention the swim teams) and I'm not sure I'm ready to go public yet with my swimming. I know most of the tri folks through running and I know they'd be nothing but supportive, but I'm still nervous.

2011-05-09 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3490146

User image

Regular

Arin - I agree that wetsuit fitting ought to count for something - cardio,strength,stretching all of the above!. 

In the swim, I tend to want to stay out of the middle of the crush at the beginning. I either position myself at the back or stay to one side - sometimes both depending on the size of the wave. The group naturally thins out shortly, but the first 100 yards can be difficult.  The life guards really don't want you to get too off course and they may (but don't count on it) holler at you to let you know you're wandering.  You can stay to the outside, but you will, of course, cost yourself time and swim further than you need.  You might try staying to the outside until they thin out and then move to the inside.  If you're a strong and fast swimmer, you might want to try to get to the front and stay there.  I try not to let adrenaline get the best of me and make me try to sprint out there.  I want to swim my pace the whole race.  And while I may start in the back, I've usually passed a fair share of the others by the time I'm done.  Chip timing sort of negates the whole need for rushing out there. 

Wow Christie!  You're really motivated, that's good!  Doing too much in too short of time can cause an injury that can put you out of reach of your goal.  Map out a reasonable plan and then make yourself stick to it. You're body will be happier with you in the long run.   

True brick workouts can be daunting.  I remember before my first triathlon I was worried about my training level.  A guy told me - "don't worry, you'll be fine with your training - BUT if you haven't done this yet, make sure you start running a little bit after your long bikes."  That was by far the single best piece of advice I ever received.  You have to teach your legs how to run off the bike.  At first I just ran until that awful spaghetti legs feeling went away, and then I ran until I was satisfied my legs would behave themselves for the rest of the run. 

Another thing that helps is to stand up on the bike that last little bit and stretch your legs as you coast in.

What I didn't expect the first time was that I would have some difficulty coming out of the water and running to the transition.  It takes your head a minute to realign the gyros from being horizontal and moving to vertical and moving.  You might stumble a bit, and your legs may object a tad.  But it goes away quickly and is not nearly as bad as the bike to run switch. 

I understand reluctance to swim out there in front of the "real triathletes."  I've always been self-conscious about doing nearly anything in front of other people - talking, walking, biking, swimming, existing...  I've learned, though, that since junior high school, most people aren't particularly interested in what I'm doing.  I doubt they give me a second glance and they most certainly are not paying as much attention to me as I think.   And if I talk to anyone  at the gym (which is rare) they're always polite and helpful and friendly.  Bottom line is, they're not trying to see what you're doing wrong or right. They are as focused on their workouts as you are on yours.  I know: easier said (or typed) than done.  I'm right there with you.

Cathy - I hope you and your husband both are doing better today.

Chris

2011-05-09 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm okay with the overall training volume as I've been building up since October really, and it's about the same total volume as I'm used to doing when I'm in peak running shape. I've just swapped out some of the running for other workouts - which I'm actually finding mentally challenging as I really feel like I'm not running enough. I was typically running 5-6 days a week for about 60k a week for a while (but now that I actually think about that, that was 2 years ago...hmmmm). Anyway, I took today as a rest day. I wanted to do an easy spin on my bike trainer but didn't get home from work in time to get everything done, so bedtime with my girls won the battle today.
2011-05-09 8:30 PM

User image

New user

I did 8 miles of sprint rides today on the bike. That is a different beast than just going long and steady. My legs certainly can feel it tonight. If I'm not totally out of energy, I may try and fit in a swim tonight after the kids get to bed.

happy trails!
arin  

2011-05-10 9:45 AM

User image

Regular

Some of you are being too quiet!  Particularly you guys in the group. If you haven't spoken up in a while, it's time to spit it out - what have you been doing? How are you feeling about your current level compared to your goals?  What's your next race coming up?  What are you particularly focusing on, if anything?

Enquiring minds and all that...

Chris

2011-05-10 10:55 PM

Veteran

Well, things are finally getting back to "normal" at my house.  Today I did a 5 mile run.  Tomorrow night I will swim, and Thursday I will run to my spin class (about 1 1/2 miles), do the class, and run home. 

In answer to your question about when I'm doing my next race- I have a sprint tri that I want to participate in on September 18th.  That is a long way away, but I picked that race because the swim is in a sheltered bay (rather than an ocean swim- which still scares me).   I had planned on doing a sprint tri with a lake swim in July, but they cancelled it. 

I will keep my eyes open for a tri to do mid summer. 

2011-05-11 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3492729

User image

Regular

Great news, Cathy!  Normal is relative.  My house alternates between being a complete zoo,and unbelievably quiet - not quite sure where normal lies in there.  Sounds like you will be well prepared for your race!  Your workouts are looking good!

Chris

2011-05-12 11:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan, Ks

Hi All! Sorry I disappeared. My hard drive went out and I had to get a new home computer. I think I have the training log figured out. Chris if you can't see it let me know. I will still utilize myfitnesspal.com for my food as I have used that site for almost a year and all my foods are saved. I'm terrible at keeping track of my laps in the pool so I will work on that at this evenings workout. I will incorporate the nightly stretching as suggested. Time is short so not sure if I can get that much strength training in. I rarely do any. How do you feel about resistance bands for someone like myself who isn't currently on a stength training plan? I could easily fit that in at home.

My 1st sprint tri is June 18th. My goal is to not finish last. That being said I don't want to waste a bunch of time in transitions. I am thinking about riding with the pedals and toe clips that came stock on my bike so I don't have to change shoes. Any thoughts?  Thanks, Wendy/Motoxmom1

2011-05-13 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3495642

User image

Regular

Wendy - so sorry for the late reply.  My internet at home is really iffy, and pretty much non-existant when it rains, which it has done for the last couple days.  Not complaining, we desparately needed the rain.  We could use more, but apparently that's not likely anytime soon.

I can't keep track of the laps either.  I lose count.  When my husband and I swim together, he says he's going to do 4 sets of x number of laps.  I usually do one more because I just swim until I see him stopped at the wall (I swim faster than him).  He counts better than me,  I generally go off into lala land. 

On the strength training - there are a lot of things you can do at home with little or no equipment.  Glute/ham, quads, and calfs can all be done sans any real equipment.  A pair of dumbells can help you with arms/shoulders and chest, and you don't need anything but a wall for core.  If you're interested, I can give you the workout I do at home or in my office.  I have dumbells in several weights at home, but only two different weights at work.  I have a stability ball and a yoga mat at both places - the kids love playing on the "big ball" so to them it's just another toy in my office and in  my game room at home.  I have bands too, and I like them pretty well.  You can use them in lieu of weights for several exercises.

There are some benefits to the clip-ons and there are those who don't think you're a real cyclist/triathlete if you don't have them.  Maybe someday I will get some clip on pedals, but to date, I have done all of my training and races with the ones that came on my bike - no toe cage.  I dont' come in first, but I don't come in last either and I'm pretty darn slow.  I take more time in the first transiition because I'm wiping sand and grass off my feet and putting on my shoes and socks, but on my second transition, all I'm doing is racking my bike and swapping visor for helmet, and putting on my superman belt.  Less than a minute if I haven't screwed up somewhere and don't stand there guzzling water.

Chris

2011-05-13 4:30 PM

New user

United Kingdom

Hi all,

Its been a busy week so havent had time to post anything, havent done much training bit did complete Hever castle evening sprint triathlon on Wednesday. It is one of Henry the 8th castles and is set in beautiful countryside. The  swim is in the lake by the castle and the run takes place within the castle grounds around the lake and within the gardens. The rain stayed away long enough so we didnt get wet, i beat my last Septembers time by 12 minutes so i was really pleased. I think i actually swam about another 50mtrs on top of the 400 as i got into a rythm and went off course quite a bit but i still managed to come out of the water in 3rd place. I was more tired after getting the wet suit off than i was during the swim so i have decided i need to practice that a bit. The first 2 miles of the bike is up hill and really gets your heart going, i was overtook by a few guys that where a lot stronger on the bike. It flattens out and the rest of the course is on local country lanes with lots more hills. Got through transition and started on the run which was straight up another hill for half a mile. Managed to come 6th in my age group and 22nd overall out of 47 people racing.

As it was an evening race it was not that busy but really well marshalled and organized with spectators cheering you along. 

Going to get back into training tomorrow with a 5k run and i have 2 sessions of open water swim training this weekend that my local club has organized. the first session is in the pool on Saturday and then at 7.00am Sunday we are going to the lake, hopefully they can stop me from going of course. i will let you know if they give me any good tips. Will try and fit in a bike ride as well depending on how hectic it is at home.

Have a good weekend and keep up the training.

Dave 

2011-05-13 4:41 PM

New user

United Kingdom
motoxmom1 - 2011-05-12 11:32 AM

Hi All! Sorry I disappeared. My hard drive went out and I had to get a new home computer. I think I have the training log figured out. Chris if you can't see it let me know. I will still utilize myfitnesspal.com for my food as I have used that site for almost a year and all my foods are saved. I'm terrible at keeping track of my laps in the pool so I will work on that at this evenings workout. I will incorporate the nightly stretching as suggested. Time is short so not sure if I can get that much strength training in. I rarely do any. How do you feel about resistance bands for someone like myself who isn't currently on a stength training plan? I could easily fit that in at home.

My 1st sprint tri is June 18th. My goal is to not finish last. That being said I don't want to waste a bunch of time in transitions. I am thinking about riding with the pedals and toe clips that came stock on my bike so I don't have to change shoes. Any thoughts?  Thanks, Wendy/Motoxmom1

Hi, i would stick with riding with pedals for sprints, i have noticed quite a few more experienced triathletes using them as the length of the bike stage does not warrant the time it takes to change shoes.

Most sprint races i have done start with the slowest swimmers first so you never know wether your last or first until after the race so dont worry and enjoy taking part.

#

2011-05-13 4:41 PM

New user

United Kingdom
motoxmom1 - 2011-05-12 11:32 AM

Hi, i would stick with riding with pedals for sprints, i have noticed quite a few more experienced triathletes using them as the length of the bike stage does not warrant the time it takes to change shoes.

Most sprint races i have done start with the slowest swimmers first so you never know wether your last or first until after the race so dont worry and enjoy taking part.

#

2011-05-13 7:36 PM
in reply to: #3498074

User image

Regular

Hey Dave - That sounds like an awesome race and you did great!  I understand that whole wetsuit thing - it seems to take on the personality of a rabid octopus, and the faster you try to get it off, the more it fights you.  Those must have been some ferocious hills.  Congratulations on a job well done!

Sounds like a busy week in store for you - let us know how you fare.

I've been slacking a bit this week. Whatever I had last week, hit me really hard again after last Sundays race - I was feeling pretty rough.   I've done three strength workouts (pretty much total body) but pretty much wussed out on my runs, although Tab and I have walked when he's been home.  The short walk is only a mile and a half, the long one is a little over three miles.  I'm hopin to get to the pool or the lake this weekend sometime and get a longish bike in.  Going to try again tonight to run. 

Chris

2011-05-13 9:21 PM

hey....glad to see all are doing.....glad to see Chris's husband is doing well....my prayers are with you....have had that scare too.... it was GIRDS.....here it has been a chaotic week.....daughter got in a wreck last weekend and totaled her car....so we have been tring to find a replacement....and we did.... i got a new one and she got my old one.....not bad although it killed a day of training for me.....been hard to keep focused on the goal this week....so many things going on.... i feel like im floundering....have a 13 mile race tommorow....goal here is to finish with 9:30 pace or cleose to it....was wanting a 9 even....less than 2 hr i/1 ... but it was not good with the foot problems i had.......feel good about tommorow.... have had the pasta salad....it was great as usual...just need some rest....have a great weekend all and keep the faith

2011-05-13 10:17 PM

User image

Arcata, CA
no update from me.. just recovering from wisdom teeth removal.  All four came out Tuesday, hopefully I'll feel up to light workout by early next week.  Though my paperwork specifically says, no strenuous activity for 7-10 days....  After spending most of this year unable to train due to healing my leg, having healing time again is very frustrating.  So I hope the process is sped along.  Its great to hear from all of you.  Great job in your races!  Hopefully I'll have a better update soon.
2011-05-14 4:09 PM

User image

New user

Hi All -

I had a pretty average week. I intended on getting to the pool more this week, but to no avail. I'll just pretend I forgot to mention my lack of strength training. Truth be told I just didn't do much. I am now up to 2.5 mile jog.  I thought I hit 3 miles, but I tracked it and I'm still a bit short. I'll hold out on my 2.5 the next few runs and bump up to 3 the week before my tri -- quickly approaching in 2 weeks.

I'm not sure how my training will go this coming week. My mom will be here from out of town. I'd like to say she is coming to see me. But, I know better. It's all about the grandkids.  

Happy Trails!

Arin

2011-05-14 5:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan, Ks

Ok....so I over did it today! Not excercising but EATING! Food Network and The Great Food Truck Race are in town filming the 2nd season this weekend. I did get in a run this morning and ate a light breakfast. All of the trucks were within walking distance of each other but thousands of people turned out. We waited almost 2 hours in line and were only 10 people from the front. Luckily some kids behind us had friends that bought a ton of food from the Korean BBQ truck and brought plates over and were kind enough to share with us! We then walked over to the Vegan truck and a guy I work with was very close to ordering so he hooked us up.  My vote goes to the vegan truck, Seabirds! Beer Battered Avacado Tacos are the best! I feel like a beach ball! My system isn't used to eating this way! Back at it tomorrow!

2011-05-15 12:58 PM

User image

I love reading about how everyone is doing, it's very inspiring! Laura - bummer about the wisdom teeth, I hated having to wait for the healing to start training again! It felt weird that the reason I couldn't run was because of my mouth! Hope your recovery goes fast!

My update: I'm feeling pretty good about my training progress. I had a little setback when I went to my first bikram yoga this week. The instructor had us do this super awkward pose and it really aggravated my old knee injury. Very frustrating. Also, not sure if any of you are bikram enthusiasts, but I just don't get it!! I felt so nauseous and couldn't breathe! Definitely not what I'm looking for in a yoga class!

On the plus side: I made it back to the pool and had a great swim, I think I'll stick with once a week for 1 more week, and then I'll increase to twice a week on swimming. I completed my first brick today. Wow. What a bizarre feeling!! I knew my legs would feel awful, but it was even more weird feeling than I expected Smile Running and cycling are all feeling good still. I'm still 13 weeks away from my tri, so I've got plenty of time to slowly ramp up my distances. Still trying to increase my strength training.

Hope everyone has a great week!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chris' Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 10