BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2012-01-01 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3965137

New user

Subject: RE: Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED
You go!  Love your goals -- I need to get going on mine.  Nope -- no midnight treadmill.  I wanted too -- but being an hour past my bed time -- I just couldn't do it. 

2012-01-02 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3943430

Happy New Year Everyone!  I hope that this is the best year yet for all of you!

I started the new year off with 3.1 slow (and I do mean slow) miles!  It felt good to get out and run.  I know the minute I start moving again these extra 20 pounds will melt right off.  We are also starting the biggest loser at work so that will help motivate me to continue with my weight loss.

Today I am going to get my bike set up on the trainer and hopefully get a bike in.  I am hoping for 30 minutes or so, we shall see.  My area is calling for a Lake Effect Snow storm so it should be an interesting day!

I just wanted to pray the best for everyone and their resolutions and goals this year!  I am hoping for my best season yet.

I leave you all with this....which is on my ROAD ID: Philippians 4:13 - I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength!

Happy Training!

Erika

2012-01-02 12:23 PM

User image

New user

I am totally fine with another member joining. The more people here with knowledge and input, the better. I did my 1st run of the year---1.75 miles on the treadmill and it was a good run. I told my husband thing morning that my shower (after the run) is my reward for getting the run done early in the day.

I tried on my Christmas present today from my husband--my own wetsuit and I guess I should have tried it on OUTSIDE of the house cause with the heat on and with trying to get in one for the 1st time in six months, I was sweating. It made the triathlons that I am signed up for even more real. Glad it fit but I was even more glad to get it off--way too hot in it inside the house.

Hope you all have a great day and be safe from any injuries....

Ryan

2012-01-02 2:14 PM

User image

New user
I have been going back and forth about gear.  My budget is sort of limited for gear, and I was going to try and save up for a new road bike, but I think I may just wait it out another year.  My bike is really okay, it just isn't super special, but I'm sure it will work for another year.  One thing is the shifters are in the middle of the handlebar (how annoying is that?!) Anyway, all this to say that I have decided instead to invest in a bike training.  I live in a fairly bike-y community so I think I will look on Craigslist first.  I have never had or ridden with the trainer, so I need all the info I can get.  What brand would I look for, and what should I ask the seller?  Is a fluid trainer okay?  Thanks!
2012-01-02 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3966603

Hey there!

I will tell you my experience with a trainer...

I got one 2 Christmas' ago to train through the winter for a 100 mile bike ride I do in May.  I have a Cyclops trainer that I believe is magnetic.  I will admit it was pretty expensive initially....I think it was about $275.00 but I am sure you can find one on Craigslist or ebay.  I am in the same boat as you.  I would really LOVE a new bike even though there is nothing really wrong with mine...its a road bike, but I would really like a tri bike but cant justify the purchase right now, possibly next season.  We shall see.

ANyhow good look trainer shopping!

ERika

2012-01-02 3:14 PM

New user

I just got back from a 15 km run. It was wonderful to get out there again after no exercise for a week. My legs started getting tired half way in due to lack of running this week but I still managed to finish off strong.

I am also new to the bike trainer. I bought a Cycleops fluid trainer off of Craigslist for $100. With that being said it took me a couple of months of waiting to find the good deal. Not only was it cheap but it is practically brand new. So, you can find the deals but you need to be patient.

Now that I have my trainer and I have used it once I am wondering how I should structure my trainer work outs. Should I do intervals, steady pace? I know nothing.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

2012-01-02 3:58 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

I'm pretty new with the trainer thing, too.  My husband likes to ride in the basement while watching tv at night and we had a "free to a good home" recumbent for a long time.  It was loud, huge, and heavy to move so I could vacuum.  He splurged last February at our LBS when the winter stuff was going on sale and purchased a Cyclops Fluid 2. 

Here's a simple article I found about the different kinds:

http://www.fitcommerce.com/Blueprint/The-3-Types-of-Indoor-Cycling-Trainers---and-What-They-Offer_page.aspx?pageId=1019&portalId=2&cid=1701

Regarding workout types, I currently finished day 1 of my 8 week cycling focused plan.  I'll be doing most of this on the trainer.  I haven't done any structured workouts on it yet, but I know there are plenty of them out there.  I'm just following one from BT.  Tomorrow's workout is form-based: single leg drills, focusing on the full circle motion, etc.  Today was a tempo workout.  Some have hills involved (*shudder*).  What I do know is, if you write down or keep a mental note of what gears you were on for which workout, you'll know how to adjust the resistance for your workouts. 

I 2nd the craigslist ideas.  Also check out the classified forums here.  The only thing I purchased my first year were cycling shoes/pedals (regular price *sigh*), wetsuit (super-duper xterra sale), and tri top/shorts (severely discounted due to previous year's model).  If you search CL and Ebay, you may find some good deals out there!

2012-01-02 8:51 PM

User image

New user

Okay, so I hate to be obnoxious about the bike thing, but I need some help making a decision!  I currently have a no-name cheap-ish bike.  It works fine, but I dislike the shifters.  I think I mentioned before that they are in the middle of the handlebars, and it was sometimes awkward to take my hand off of the handlebar to shift them.  Besides that, the bike I have works okay.  I am considering instead buying a used (but fully refurbished) Cannondale.  As far as I can tell, this bike is pretty old, but has had a complete makeover.  It has the shifters that I like, and seems pretty affordable, but it is dumb to buy an older bike when I have one that is a year old?  Are 16 gears enough?  I am not looking to podium, and I am not, probably for a long time, going to spend $1,000 or more on a bike (just have tons of other stuff going on, so it isn't on my radar.)  Anyone willing to look at a bike for me to give an opinion?  Here is the linky to the CL ad:

http://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/2776377947.html

I may love it already and maybe planning on dragging the kidlets along to get Mommy a new bike (about 45 minutes each way....)

Thanks!

2012-01-02 10:26 PM

New user

Happy New Year!  I am getting back into the groove after being away (but still did my workouts!) I have to say, there is no lack of inspiration here!  Robin...spreadsheets with time allotted through April?  WOW.  Wow again.  I thought I was organized.  Doing the same race with your hubby - I agree - what a wonderful, positive, example for your children.  I saw you are doing a ton of miles on your trainer and I have a couple of questions.  I loved your bedtime goal - I have the same issues!

I totally understand the "training for a race' and maintaining a modfied schedule between races during the season.  Last year, when I was 'off', I was pregnant, so that was a different ball game.  I have been focusing on running since it is my weakness.  How do you decide what kind of training plan to do ont he off season? Do I really need to be doing all three in a given week on the off season in your opinion?  My husband has a trainer, but it seemed to wear down his tire - is this expected with them?

On a side note, for anyone that is interested, I am reading a book called THE JUNGLE EFFECT and just watched the dvd FORKS OVER KNIVES.  For those contemplating nutrition, food, and health, both of these offer a different perspective giving medical research to back up their suggestions.  I am trying to make sense of it all - especially while trying to improve my own health and be aware of what I feed my family.

I appreciate the input!

Katie

2012-01-02 10:26 PM

New user

Happy New Year!  I am getting back into the groove after being away (but still did my workouts!) I have to say, there is no lack of inspiration here!  Robin...spreadsheets with time allotted through April?  WOW.  Wow again.  I thought I was organized.  Doing the same race with your hubby - I agree - what a wonderful, positive, example for your children.  I saw you are doing a ton of miles on your trainer and I have a couple of questions.  I loved your bedtime goal - I have the same issues!

I totally understand the "training for a race' and maintaining a modfied schedule between races during the season.  Last year, when I was 'off', I was pregnant, so that was a different ball game.  I have been focusing on running since it is my weakness.  How do you decide what kind of training plan to do ont he off season? Do I really need to be doing all three in a given week on the off season in your opinion?  My husband has a trainer, but it seemed to wear down his tire - is this expected with them?

On a side note, for anyone that is interested, I am reading a book called THE JUNGLE EFFECT and just watched the dvd FORKS OVER KNIVES.  For those contemplating nutrition, food, and health, both of these offer a different perspective giving medical research to back up their suggestions.  I am trying to make sense of it all - especially while trying to improve my own health and be aware of what I feed my family.

I appreciate the input!

Katie

2012-01-02 10:38 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

In my opinion (and only my opinion because everyone's goals and lives are different), the off-season is used for building and/or maintaining your fitness and endurance level so when your are ready to TRAIN, your body will be accustomed to working hard.  My goal this year is maintennance--I had worked my way up to HIM distance.  The last thing I wanted to do was stop and lose everything I had worked for (although, I feel I have lost much of it due to injury/illness). 

Since this will be your first season, spend this time working on all three sports, but focusing on your weakest link.  If you're swim and bike are decent, you won't need to spend as much time there. 

And, no, I don't have all my workouts planned yet.  Just my 8 week bike is planned out.  I'll work on the day-to-day schedule in February...  But I do love to plan and organize.  It's one of my favorite parts!

2012-01-02 10:39 PM
in reply to: #3967369

User image

Expert
C-bus
kknickrehm - 2012-01-02 11:26 PM

I totally understand the "training for a race' and maintaining a modfied schedule between races during the season.  Last year, when I was 'off', I was pregnant, so that was a different ball game.  I have been focusing on running since it is my weakness.  How do you decide what kind of training plan to do ont he off season? Do I really need to be doing all three in a given week on the off season in your opinion?  My husband has a trainer, but it seemed to wear down his tire - is this expected with them?Yes.  That's normal.

On a side note, for anyone that is interested, I am reading a book called THE JUNGLE EFFECT and just watched the dvd FORKS OVER KNIVES.  For those contemplating nutrition, food, and health, both of these offer a different perspective giving medical research to back up their suggestions.  I am trying to make sense of it all - especially while trying to improve my own health and be aware of what I feed my family.THanks for the head's up!

I appreciate the input!

Katie

2012-01-02 10:44 PM
in reply to: #3967224

User image

Expert
C-bus
Peachfor3 - 2012-01-02 9:51 PM

Okay, so I hate to be obnoxious about the bike thing, but I need some help making a decision!  I currently have a no-name cheap-ish bike.  It works fine, but I dislike the shifters.  I think I mentioned before that they are in the middle of the handlebars, and it was sometimes awkward to take my hand off of the handlebar to shift them.  Besides that, the bike I have works okay.  I am considering instead buying a used (but fully refurbished) Cannondale.  As far as I can tell, this bike is pretty old, but has had a complete makeover.  It has the shifters that I like, and seems pretty affordable, but it is dumb to buy an older bike when I have one that is a year old?  Are 16 gears enough?  I am not looking to podium, and I am not, probably for a long time, going to spend $1,000 or more on a bike (just have tons of other stuff going on, so it isn't on my radar.)  Anyone willing to look at a bike for me to give an opinion?  Here is the linky to the CL ad:

http://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/2776377947.html

I may love it already and maybe planning on dragging the kidlets along to get Mommy a new bike (about 45 minutes each way....)

Thanks!

I'm no gear-head.  It does look like an older model, but very well cared for.  Again, make sure it will fit your body.  The shifter location will give you much more confidence on the road as opposed to taking your hands off to shift gears like now.  That point does add safety... 

I'm excited to hear what you decide!

2012-01-03 11:10 AM

New user

Good Morning everyone! I got a good workout in first thing this morning. Best way to start the day. It is always SO HARD to get out of bed but once I do I am always thankful.

Katie thanks for the book suggestion. I am going to check that book out.

Does anyone have any other book suggestions. I got a Chapters gift certificate for Christmas and am looking for some good tri books. It could be a motivational book or a training manual for any of the 3 sports. I am just looking for some easy bedtime reading. Thanks!

Lisa

2012-01-03 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Unfortunately, I'm not a reader -more of a puzzle person- but here are the two books I have used for training plans:

Starting Out Triathlon (for sprint/oly distances) by Paul Huddle and Roch Frey

Be Iron Fit (for HIM and IRON distance) by Don Fink

The first one I think is great for beginners.  The structure of the workouts is pretty family friendly.

2012-01-03 1:02 PM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI

When I was training for my first season, I used:

Your First Triathlon by Joe Friel

It was fairly comprehensive and detailed.  There is a training program for sprint distances.  It worked for me.  

For this season, I plan on combining a couple of the run focused plans here, seeing that I am going to attempt a 25K race (or 10K race) in May.

2012-01-03 2:13 PM

New user
I have such a hard time buying books (even with a gift card) when I can request books from the library Thanks to your suggestions I now have a bunch of books ordered at the library.
2012-01-03 4:43 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ

Hi guys!  My name is Brian, I spoke to Robin earlier this week and asked if I could hop in on her group, thanks for having me!  I'll give you the short and quick background on me then hope to be able to contribute to this group seamlessly. 

NAME: mchubri / Brian

STORY: Always the "husky" kid growing up, getting picked last in gym class, couldn't even do 1 pull-up.  Grew up in an Italian household where life revolved around food and huge meals and exercise was considered a walk down the block to the deli for a sandwich.  At 233lbs, I had enough and decided to turn my life around, learn how to eat “clean” and discovered exercise.  A few years later I fell in love with Triathlon and it changed my life.  I named my blog “The Permanent Quest” because that is what health and fitness is to me, a permanent quest to be healthy and to be in better shape today than I was yesterday, and for me Triathlon is the vehicle to get me there.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, going on 9 wonderful years with a very energetic 5 year old son who loves to S/B/R (also daddy's biggest fan) and a beautiful 8 year old yellow lab who can out swim anyone on BT!

CURRENT TRAINING:
Just getting back into a routine. I broke my foot on a normal training run on July 6th which put me out for nearly 12 weeks which wiped out all of my planned races for the year and I didn't fully heal until October.  With the racing season over and my next planned race not until April 2012, I haven't have that drive to get out there and train regularly.  I've been running 3-4 days per week (about 12-16 miles per week) biking 1-2 and haven't been in the pool since my injury.  With the turn of the calendar I am fired up to hit it hard in 2012, return to form and set ssome PR's! 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2 1/2 Marathons (April/August), 2-Olympic Tri's (May & July), 1-Sprint (Aug) and 1-HIM (September).  I will enter the lottery for the NYC Marathon (Nov) again, we'll see what happens.

2011 RACES:  1 half marathon

WEIGHTLOSS: Absolutely, weight is a constant battle for me and the primary reason I am here.  I began exercising to lose weight in 2005, started Triathlon to set goals and push me harder, and now I use Triathlon as my carrot on a stick.  I am very goal driven and if I have goals ahead of me I will work hard to get it done!  I fluctuate about 15lbs throughout the year.  As you can Imagine, I am up now sitting at 205 with a goal to get back to 185 before my 1st race on April 18th.  I have some work ahead of me. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am a sponge! when I become passionate about something I absorb anything and everything in sight. From reading books, magazines, using the internet, talking to people, whatever it may be, I obsess over it, just ask my wife!  The triathlon bug hit me 3 years ago and I have gained a volume of knowledge on the subject.  More importantly, I love to talk to people about Triathlon, health, fitness S/B/R, diet, food, etc.  I enjoy meeting new people and believe there is strength in numbers.  I look forward to sharing what I have learned and learning from others.  I look forward to tri'ing with you!

Happy New Year! 

2012-01-03 5:26 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Yay!  You made it to the party!!!! 

We have a rockin' group!

2012-01-03 6:20 PM
in reply to: #3969187

Hey Brian!  Welcome to the group and welcome back to training!  I had to laugh when you were mentioning how you obsess over triathlons, and read, and research....I AM SO THE SAME WAY!  A little too mcuh at times....its my type A personality I suppose!  Well best of luck to you and happy training!

Erika

2012-01-03 9:08 PM

New user
Welcome to the group Brian!

2012-01-03 9:59 PM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Agreed, welcome Brian. It's good to have you in Robin's group.
2012-01-03 10:35 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ

Thanks guys!  I took some time this evening to catch up on the past 6 pages of this groups posts and ready to hop in.  I hope Kevin and I can hold down the testosterone end of this group

I am a Garmin user, Katie and Kevin, if you are still having issues uploading, make sure you have the Garmin Connect plugin loaded.  it's been a while since I loaded it myself but let me know if you are still having issues and I can look into it for you.  Training with data is so cool, really helpful in setting and measuring goals.  Also for me, a great motivator.  

I am in the process of setting my goals for the year now.  Robin, I love the SMART method, I never heard of that before, love it! Whatever my goals wind up being, I'm sure running 1000 miles in 2012 will not be part of them.  I will work on them tomorrow and share with the group.  

I have a run planned for tomorrow 3-4 miles.  Being that the NY area is gripped with bitter cold, looks like a lunchtime treadmill run.  I may try to sneak in 45 minutes on the bike tomorrow morning as well, we will see how I feel when the alarm barks at me at 5:30am.  

-Brian

2012-01-04 7:31 AM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Alright everyone.  We've talked goals and wrote them down.  Some of us have training plans now, some don't start theirs for a few weeks.  But it's time to face the music and be realistic-- what are some roadblocks that you foresee???  I'm a firm believer that if you can foresee a problem, if it does happen, you'll be more prepared to deal with and handle it.

I'll start!

1.  In this 8 week bike focused plan, there were 2-a-days 5 days a week and no rest days (although I considered my yoga day as an off day).   I spotted this as a potential problem, and yep.  Epic fail yesterday.  I had a 45 minute run and 30 minute bike scheduled, so I ran at the gym (my daughter was off from preschool still and needed the daycare there) and came home to bike in the basement.  But I was too cold to bike.  (I FREEZE in the winter).

2.  After my shower, I realized not just one, but both of my legs hurt in the same troublesome spot as before...  ugh.  Unexpected roadblock, but I'm not surprised.

3.  Another expected roadblock-- winter doldrums. 

Now, please don't misunderstand.  I'm not trying to be a "Debbie Downer".  There are times while we train when roadblocks happen.  (sick kids, illnesses, snowstorms that keep you from the gym...)  What do you do when you run into them?  Crash through them?  Go around them?  Think about what your roadblocks/potential issues may be and be prepared.  Here's what I have come up with for my current issues:

1.  Revisit my training plan.  After reviewing some, I may go back to one of my original plans when I started and throw in one more bike.  It will still be a lot more biking than I normally do in the off-season, but more reasonable of a plan (mostly 1 event per day)

2.  Research a doctor.  This has got to stop -- it's getting me depressed.

3.  Plow through the winter doldrums.  Winter happens and someday it will be sunny and warm again.  Also- rejoice that it's winter and relax with training. 

Now, I'm off to get 45 minutes on the bike in the basement and watch Curious George or Martha Speaks...

2012-01-04 12:43 PM

New user

I also freeze in the winter. When I drop the kids off at school I have probably 10 layers of clothing on and everyone else is in sweaters (slight exaggeration). It sucks! Ok, enough complaining.

Obstacles.

The weather: I live in a pretty mild climate (Vancouver, BC) but it rains, a lot. I was dreading my run all morning because it was literally pouring outside. The thing is once I get going the rain doesn't bother me anymore.

Solution: I am not sure! Any suggestions? Treadmill is out because I cannot run for 60 minutes on the treadmill. I would die of boredom. I guess I will have to stick to my mantra 'No Excuses'

Morning workouts: Normally I workout around 5am. It is especially hard if I have a bad night sleep. I go to bed at 9 so normally I get 8 hours but sometimes the pillow is just too comfortable.

Solution: Continually go to bed at the regular bedtime. Don't let excuses pop into my head. Fight them!

That is all for now. Any suggestions on how to overcome my obstacles are welcome.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12